Author Topic: It's just a battle for the order of the first 4 spots now between 5 teams...  (Read 554925 times)

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Re: Is it just a battle for 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st spot with 4 other teams now?
« Reply #3080 on: February 25, 2014, 07:35:16 pm »

I saw us win titles between 77 and 90 but that was a different era.  Different things are needed to win it these days.

There's the old arguement "defences or Attacks - which win you titles?"  Hard to say really.

We have the top 2 scorers in the league atm ... 23 and 18 PL goals.  We have scored the most goals too.  The team at the top on Christmas day wins it blah blah ...... But that doesnt always indicate what will eventually happen in the end.

That unwanted record of ours of being the only side to only lose 2 games and NOT win the title still rankles with me.  We turn just 2 of those 11 damn draws into wins and 2009 would have been ours.

At least this time we are going all out to win games no matter what.  Something that I might add them down the road did for 20 years and won a few titles by doing.

Manu were relentless that season but even so too many draws killed us.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #3081 on: February 25, 2014, 07:38:55 pm »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3082 on: February 25, 2014, 08:00:25 pm »
A cockscomb basin.
mines a pint

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3083 on: February 25, 2014, 08:48:22 pm »
 :(

Like many posters, I'm fucking terrified still about the Mancs.

They look well set at the moment to overcome the huge gap to catch up with us.

And that pacey midfield, and cast iron defence doesn't suit our gameplan.  I'm concerned they could really hurt our ponderous forwards when we go there.  Chances are the game on March 30 could be our decider abouit top 4.  And they will be fired up, especially if they go out the CL.

Make or break for me, and I don't think we can overcome that duo of Cleverly/Giggs... which is how they will set up against us, and with the pace of Young, Rooney in behind, it could be a long afternoon.

I just hope Moyes doesn't start Janujaz (sp) too. We could get overrun with their talent.

Offline xerxes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3084 on: February 25, 2014, 08:48:31 pm »
I don't think they will catch us, but I can see them winning the Champions League and leaving us stranded in fourth. It's no more outlandish than what happened in Istanbul

Wow, I really got that one wrong. In my defence, I don't watch Man Utd much and I didn't think that even David Moyes could pile up such gargantuan levels of shite.
Xerxes MBE

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #3085 on: February 25, 2014, 08:58:23 pm »
Wow, I really got that one wrong. In my defence, I don't watch Man Utd much and I didn't think that even David Moyes could pile up such gargantuan levels of shite.

I don't think Moyes watches them much either, with his head permanently in his hands :D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline RedRedTom

• Knows how to get you there. Finding his thrills on Denmark Hill
  • Legacy Fan
  • Luis Garcia, he drinks sangria
« Reply #3086 on: February 25, 2014, 08:59:48 pm »
Time to forget about them stealing a CL place by winning it.  Two nil down on the night.  Inbred bastards.
Luis Garcia... tries his luck........

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3087 on: February 25, 2014, 09:14:52 pm »
Time to forget about them stealing a CL place by winning it.  Two nil down on the night.  Inbred bastards.

Sorry mate.  You're ignoring the legitimate concerns of the posters on this thread.

They are a dangerous wounded animal;.

They could go on to win the Champions League and we are stuffed.

I bet Dortmund, Bayern and Barca are seriously worried about the Mancs of Manchester.  United.

Offline heylookitsjacob

• 's Cream Crackers
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #3088 on: February 25, 2014, 09:19:34 pm »
Sorry mate.  You're ignoring the legitimate concerns of the posters on this thread.

They are a dangerous wounded animal;.

They could go on to win the Champions League and we are stuffed.

I bet Dortmund, Bayern and Barca are seriously worried about the Mancs of Manchester.  United.

I completely agree. They should be worried that if he keeps his face like that it will stay that way:

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #3089 on: February 25, 2014, 09:33:44 pm »
Cardiff is a hard place to play in the same way that Hull is a nice place to visit.

They're the worst team in the league.

That's what Man City said (and Everton/Man U drew there).

Now, granted Hull just went in an abused them and the post-Malcky era has not been good at all, but certainly you are not saying this is going to be a walk in the park stroll like some other games?  They are in a relegation battle. 

Elston, brother, I love your work and it is quite possible that you have thought this through much further than myself, but I like the underdog label too much to give it up just yet.  However, we win all three games, I will succumb.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:44:00 am by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Noelle

• iverpoo?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3090 on: February 25, 2014, 09:49:04 pm »
So who here thinks United still pose a threat to us being in the Champions League next year?

Offline I-was-watching-it-on-Sky

• Jiggerer Pokerer. He was watching, he was watching, he was watching it on Sky. He was watching it on Sky!
  • Kopite
  • We return to our place as football Royalty.
« Reply #3091 on: February 25, 2014, 09:53:12 pm »
I don't think Moyes watches them much either, with his head permanently in his hands :D

Moyes always looks like a man who's just had his allotment trashed... ;D
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

• Jiggerer Pokerer. He was watching, he was watching, he was watching it on Sky. He was watching it on Sky!
  • Kopite
« Reply #3092 on: February 25, 2014, 09:56:18 pm »
So who here thinks United still pose a threat to us being in the Champions League next year?

Don't worry...they'll soon invent another reason why we should be scared of them...
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3093 on: February 25, 2014, 09:57:30 pm »

But if they win the Champions League, and we finish 4th, they could knock us out!!

And a lot of posters think they could!!

so I'm worried

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3094 on: February 25, 2014, 09:59:16 pm »
But if they win the Champions League, and we finish 4th, they could knock us out!!

so I'm worried
Yeah, but what is the most favorable draw for them in the quarterfinals? If they get that team...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline antuan

• Main Stander
« Reply #3095 on: February 25, 2014, 10:01:04 pm »
:(

Like many posters, I'm fucking terrified still about the Mancs.

They look well set at the moment to overcome the huge gap to catch up with us.

And that pacey midfield, and cast iron defence doesn't suit our gameplan.  I'm concerned they could really hurt our ponderous forwards when we go there.  Chances are the game on March 30 could be our decider abouit top 4.  And they will be fired up, especially if they go out the CL.

Make or break for me, and I don't think we can overcome that duo of Cleverly/Giggs... which is how they will set up against us, and with the pace of Young, Rooney in behind, it could be a long afternoon.

I just hope Moyes doesn't start Janujaz (sp) too. We could get overrun with their talent.

Ha ha ha! Funny as fuck! That game is on the 16th March though.....  ;)
Let's twat these twats.

Offline LFCStephen

• Legacy Fan
  • I just carnt get enough....
« Reply #3096 on: February 25, 2014, 10:01:10 pm »
The best part about today's result is that we now play Man United 3 days before the 2nd leg, will they focus more on that game knowing they "Could" win a trophy if they get through.

Now I'm not saying they are going to lay down and give us the 3 points, this is UTD Vs Liverpool after all, but tonights result is spot on what we wanted in my eyes.

• Kopite
« Reply #3097 on: February 25, 2014, 10:02:08 pm »

so I'm worried

Wake up FFS...if they win the CL I'll give you my house...
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3098 on: February 25, 2014, 10:02:22 pm »

They're shite, and judging by tonight it now seems like they know it too. I'm genuinely not sure if any of their players would make our first team. Goalkeeper maybe. Best paid ogre in the world would have no chance. Over the hill defenders and no discernible style of play. Unfortunately they'll have a new manager next year at the latest, but I reckon sooner.

Anyway back on topic, it's a case of stay ahead of Spurs and we're in the top four. Better than fourth is possible if we beat the top teams at home. Defeats away to city and Chelsea left us 6 points off the pace. We've clawed it back to four. Only beating them at Anfield can give us a chance of overtaking either methinks.

I'd be amazed if we won the title. It would constitute the greatest managerial triumph since the premier league began, but the fact I'm even mentioning the title is a testament to Rodgers achievements this season.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3099 on: February 25, 2014, 10:03:27 pm »

You've been whooooooooooooooooshed baby.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3100 on: February 25, 2014, 10:04:02 pm »
They may sign that bent prick howard webb though for our game, can make it real difficult for us.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3101 on: February 25, 2014, 10:04:48 pm »
You need this one, mate:

The new versions is USB 2.0 and higher compatible.   ;)

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #3102 on: February 25, 2014, 10:07:29 pm »
The best part about today's result is that we now play Man United 3 days before the 2nd leg, will they focus more on that game knowing they "Could" win a trophy if they get through.

Now I'm not saying they are going to lay down and give us the 3 points, this is UTD Vs Liverpool after all, but tonights result is spot on what we wanted in my eyes.

That week could really piss off a lot of mancs..... hope it does.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #3103 on: February 25, 2014, 10:07:34 pm »
Hopefully they'll be looking at the game 3 days later when they play us...
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #3104 on: February 25, 2014, 10:08:18 pm »
United and Spurs fans are now doing the sort of thing people on here have been doing the past X years. Looking 5 fixtures down the line and building up these ideas of "well if they only get 2 points from the next 12..." or "if we get 13 from 15...".

Let's get this right kids - statistically we've been closer to the three sides above us than we have the teams 'competing for 4th'. "Oh, but stats don't tell you the whole picture, you can twist them however you want". Well, "the league table doesn't lie" and all that nonsense. We're 6 points ahead of anyone else competing for 4th. That's 6 points with a +32 goal difference on Spurs. That's a three game swing over eleven games. Spurs, the closest challenger for 4th, need us to drop points in 3 more games than them between now and the end of the season. Everton need us to drop points in 3 more games than them between now and the end of the season. Manchester United need us to lose four more games than them. Over the next 11. Not draw. Lose. Do you know how many we've lost this season? 5. Do you know how many league games we've lost since the start of 2013? 8 in 45. I'll go back even further. Since United won at Anfield last season on the 23rd of September 2012, we've lost 10 games. Out of 60 in the league. That's not with Sturridge or Coutinho. That's Rodgers record besides the first 5 games. We aren't an easy team to beat. Haven't been in a long fucking time. More than long enough to say it's part of the Brendan Rodgers Liverpool DNA, not a streak. We've lost one set of back-to-back fixtures under Rodgers, and they were away to City and Chelsea. But hey, we must be fucking due a collapse, because that's what piss-pants logic dictates, right?

There is literally fucking nothing suggesting we're in a race for 4th instead of a title. I'm not even attempting to be an arrogant dickhead about it. It's just the only thing saying that is fucking cowards logic.

Practically every decent statistical model has us nailed on for top four. Our goal difference (usually a decent indicator) is 2nd best in the league. We're the only team to have kept even remotely within touching distance of City's goalscoring. This Liverpool team had scored more goals after 25 games than any of Arsene Wenger's Arsenal teams had. More than any of Ferguson's league winning teams had. More than any of Chelsea's teams. More than Keegan's Newcastle, more than fucking London club or Keegan's Newcastle. More than the 87-88 team. We're not lucky to be where we are. We're closer to the top than we are to anyone who thinks they're in a 'race for 4th'. We've been picking up 2 points a game steady enough for long over a year now. With Suarez, without Suarez. With Sturridge, without Sturridge. The only thing that doesn't look 'title contenders' about us is our defensive record. And y'know what? It's roughly in the same ball park as United's and Spurs' ones. Not that it fucking matters, because no team below us in the league has scored more than our front 3, never mind the rest of the team.

I'll just say this to end:

If the league had started January 1st 2014, we'd be top.

On December 25 2013, we were top.

Here's a fucking thought for you - maybe we are in a false position. But maybe it's not because we're 'due' to slip up or United or Spurs are ready to pounce and hanging in there. Maybe it's because we were unlucky having the two toughest fixtures in the calender back-to-back, over 3 days, during the most congested period in the calender? Maybe that's it. Because we were top of the league before those two games to the bankrolled pair. We're top of the form league since those two games. Maybe we are in a false position after all...

Or fucking maybe, just maybe I should be scared of the name of other clubs, or guard against optimism lest I look foolish for actually being bullish about what is one of the best teams in the country, whether you want to measure by form, underlining statistics, the league table, basic common sense gleaned from watching matches or anything else that isn't piss-pants cowards logic because you're scared to fail and think your posts on here matter a jot about what will happen between now and the end of the season.

Yup this just won this season's threads, everyone can go home now.

'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3105 on: February 25, 2014, 10:08:21 pm »
That week could really piss off a lot of mancs..... hope it does.

As long as they are not too many to force Gollum out.

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3106 on: February 25, 2014, 10:10:40 pm »
Yeah, but what is the most favorable draw for them in the quarterfinals? If they get that team...

Got one!  Big chunky fish too

Offline turkish kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • Black&White, Believe&Fight
« Reply #3107 on: February 25, 2014, 10:13:10 pm »
any informations about the ref of soton game?
"Waiting for Vodafone Arena to win League Titles"

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3108 on: February 25, 2014, 10:13:33 pm »
Lee Probert

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #3109 on: February 25, 2014, 10:14:52 pm »
for some reason i think this is the best chance we're gonna get to win the league for quite a while.

I mean its cyclical isnt it.

We were close in 2002/3? ish when we got 2nd.. and than 5-6 years later we were cloase again in 09.

now add another 5 years.. we're close again. Not saying we're not gonna challenge next year.. but i do believe in *signs* :o

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3110 on: February 25, 2014, 10:15:47 pm »

Word on the street is he'll be dressed in black.

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #3111 on: February 25, 2014, 10:17:07 pm »
Word on the street is he'll be dressed in black.

racist.

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3112 on: February 25, 2014, 10:17:36 pm »
Ha ha ha! Funny as fuck! That game is on the 16th March though.....  ;)

Got me.  Bad mistake on my part..you win.

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3113 on: February 25, 2014, 10:19:48 pm »

Massive whoosh.

Tiddler of a catch, but I claim a big haul of small fry.

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3114 on: February 25, 2014, 10:20:56 pm »
Massive whoosh.

Tiddler of a catch, but I claim a big haul of small fry.
Do you want ketchup with your fries?

Offline turkish kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • Black&White, Believe&Fight
"Waiting for Vodafone Arena to win League Titles"

• Kopite
« Reply #3116 on: February 25, 2014, 10:23:27 pm »
You've been whooooooooooooooooshed baby.

Humm...

Just as well...you'd have to share with my tenant...she's a 24yr old blonde Russian masseuse...and the other 54 people I've promised the house to.
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #3117 on: February 25, 2014, 10:26:58 pm »
Cardiff is a hard place to play in the same way that Hull is a nice place to visit.

Cardiff have found it difficult to play there. Maybe that's what he meant.

P 14  W 4 D 4 L 6
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3118 on: February 25, 2014, 10:27:21 pm »
Do you want ketchup with your fries?

Nope, I got you hook line AND sinker.  And you are some tasty fresh seafood (in my estimation), fellow Physicist.

So I've caught all I need.

As you were...can the daft naysayers get on board now?

We are under NO threat from ManU

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3119 on: February 25, 2014, 10:30:35 pm »
Nope, I got you hook line AND sinker.  And you are some tasty fresh seafood (in my estimation), fellow Physicist.

So I've caught all I need.

As you were...can the daft naysayers get on board now?

We are under NO threat from ManU
Well, you can't count me on the hook as I never was anywhere near.  ;) 
Wait, are they in the quarters yet?
I can't believe that people are talking about United-Atletico when they haven't got past Olympiakos yet!...

But you got your catch of the day anyway.

Anyway, you never said, who do you reckon United will draw in the next round?  ;D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:39:09 pm by farawayred »