Author Topic: Comolli: Only 1or 2 adjustments in the summer  (Read 129876 times)

Offline No Appreciation of Liverpool Opposition

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • My blog
Re: Comolli: Only 1or 2 adjustments in the summer
« Reply #1000 on: March 4, 2012, 11:14:10 pm »
our form dropped off when lucas was injured. bring lucas back and get another striker in we will be fine.

« Last Edit: March 4, 2012, 11:16:15 pm by Appreciator of former strikers »
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline Jetmir M.

• Kopite
« Reply #1001 on: March 4, 2012, 11:17:05 pm »
our form dropped off when lucas was injured. bring lucas back and get another striker in we will be fine.

No, we won't.

Offline Quintet

• Kopite
« Reply #1002 on: March 4, 2012, 11:18:57 pm »

So you'd be happy with adam and downing still in our first 11 next season?

Offline BarnsleyScouser

• Kopite
  • Best in the World
« Reply #1003 on: March 4, 2012, 11:19:11 pm »
Only way Shelvey is superior to Henderson is he saves money not buying 5 tonne of hair products.

Henderson is in the team because he has undoubted potential and good PL experience, anybody who can't see that after yesterdays performance need to go and rewatch the match.
If showing respect to the 96 and other victims of Hillsborough on the 15th is seen as unacceptable by other teams fans then I am glad I support Liverpool and understand some things are more important than football

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #1004 on: March 4, 2012, 11:20:11 pm »
Exactly we have some posters saying we are playing better football now then the end of last season, even to the point that we it was due to good fortune that we performed so well and not do to with concise football, running off the ball and midfielders running into the box to score,
I am all for positive thinking but this has been one of the poorest EPL seasons in terms of quality for years all the teams above us have been poor (just look at the abject failure of English teams in the CL) if we had played like we had at the end of last year we would be competing for a top 4 place at least - we should of concentrated on improving that team and not dismantling it, now we are left with a team which is not top 4 even in this poor league.
We need more then 1 or 2 players imo for our first team, I would say 4 players (striker, CM and 2 wingers) are needed. That would leave alot of summers sigings like Downing and Carroll on the subs bench (prob the most expensive in the world let alone EPL)
take out cm and i agree with you. dm backup maybe. Carroll is a bit of a sticking point because he is certainly playing better, and he could become even better he is very young. I'd personally give him a run of games in the prem now that we can't get fourth and see how he does. If he tanks oh well, if he has a stormer maybe a miracle happens.
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #1005 on: March 4, 2012, 11:21:13 pm »
if downing was playing like he has in the last three games yea no problem, and then adam would be out with lucas coming in, he'd be a squad player.

Gaston Ramirez.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #1006 on: March 4, 2012, 11:21:43 pm »
No, we won't.
good argument, i partically liked the bits with the facts, and the counterargument.

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline Quintet

• Kopite
« Reply #1007 on: March 4, 2012, 11:27:01 pm »
if downing was playing like he has in the last three games yea no problem, and then adam would be out with lucas coming in, he'd be a squad player.

Ok but you think one striker would make everything ok and gets us into 4th? I don't think it would, we need to improve other areas too.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1008 on: March 4, 2012, 11:28:11 pm »
Comparing a young guy who has had cameo apperances and done a couple of good things and a couple of bad with a guy who is playing regular 90 minutes and having some good games and some bad. The RAWK way. Obviously the guy who isn't playing can be extrapolated into a world class player.
Henderson and Shelvey are both great talents, and very different. But right now there is a reason Henderson plays regular for us and Shelvey doesn't. There is a reason that Henderson is the captain and first name for the U21 and Shelvey is an occasional sub. They are on different points in their career development.
People talk as if Shelvey has scored and created a bunch of goals for us every time he has come on. He hasn't. He has shown confidence and done things that sometimes pay off and sometimes don't. He has often come on in games that are already won. His instructions probably amount to "have fun and try and cause them trouble."
Henderson is starting games, with a clear game plan and set of instructions and a much more complicated role, sometimes in a position that doesn't suit him.
That's how the coffee smells to me anyway.

Agree with this, although Shelvey will end up the better player i feel.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #1009 on: March 4, 2012, 11:32:53 pm »
Ok but you think one striker would make everything ok and gets us into 4th? I don't think it would, we need to improve other areas too.
well we need back up wingers, but lucas and a good striker would have made us fourth this year i believe. So if other teams stay stagnant and we do that then yea. I'd love us to have a mata or nani but that isn't going to happen. Otherwise we pick up wingers at 24 and let them develop. Also whoever wins the hazard sweepstakes is a big deal this summer

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1010 on: March 4, 2012, 11:38:19 pm »
well we need back up wingers, but lucas and a good striker would have made us fourth this year i believe. So if other teams stay stagnant and we do that then yea. I'd love us to have a mata or nani but that isn't going to happen. Otherwise we pick up wingers at 24 and let them develop. Also whoever wins the hazard sweepstakes is a big deal this summer

We don't just need "back up wingers". It's clear we need a top quality winger(s), and have done for the better part of 15 or so years. Downing is not the solution, he is a squad player at best.

The thing that pisses me off about all this, is the opportunity cost of all our signings. The 20 million spent on Downing, could have got a top quality winger, if our scouts did what they were paid to do.

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1011 on: March 4, 2012, 11:38:28 pm »
take out cm and i agree with you. dm backup maybe. Carroll is a bit of a sticking point because he is certainly playing better, and he could become even better he is very young. I'd personally give him a run of games in the prem now that we can't get fourth and see how he does. If he tanks oh well, if he has a stormer maybe a miracle happens.

Is he? Is he really? He's 23. Not that young is it? For me, he's got to start showing much more pretty soon. Not really on the topic of the thread, but Suarez is only two years older than him for Christ's sake.

Offline aurelian

• Kopite
« Reply #1012 on: March 4, 2012, 11:39:21 pm »
Your You're on crack.

pretty bad when someone "on crack" has to correct the grammar of someone who's not.

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1013 on: March 4, 2012, 11:41:08 pm »
We don't just need "back up wingers". It's clear we need a top quality winger(s), and have done for the better part of 15 or so years. Downing is not the solution, he is a squad player at best.

The thing that pisses me off about all this, is the opportunity cost of all our signings. The 20 million spent on Downing, could have got a top quality winger, if our scouts did what they were paid to do.

Absolutely does my fucking head in, to be honest. We spent £60m on Downing, Carroll and Adam. Imagine what we could've got for that money. Actually don't, because it'll make you angry.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1014 on: March 4, 2012, 11:42:42 pm »
Absolutely does my fucking head in, to be honest. We spent £60m on Downing, Carroll and Adam. Imagine what we could've got for that money. Actually don't, because it'll make you angry.

To be fair, Adam was hardly that expensive. Downing and Carroll have been disasters though.

Offline victorcwh

• Main Stander
  • Hong Kong Reds
« Reply #1015 on: March 4, 2012, 11:47:38 pm »
At least three: right winger, left winger and a striker who knows how to put the ball into the net.
IN RAFA I MISS !!!
KING, thanks for your effort !!!

Offline soberphobia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1016 on: March 4, 2012, 11:47:58 pm »
We are under performing with the players already at our disposal so the first objective is for the manager to get the side to run into a bit of touch. Our finishing has been abysmal this year and when you look at last year when we did score a few often it was Meirelles and on occasion Maxi that got some goals one isn't here and the other isn't playing much. Kuyt also looked better up top with Luis last season. We need to get some natural finishers and some width.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2012, 11:50:32 pm by soberphobia »
24 hours in a day 24 cans in a carton coincidence?

Offline Quintet

• Kopite
« Reply #1017 on: March 4, 2012, 11:56:34 pm »
This summer is going to be fun on here when we replace Maxi and Kuyt with Jarvis and Sinclair for a combined fee of over £20m :lmao

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #1018 on: March 5, 2012, 12:00:01 am »
Fuck me how many variations on that tawdry theme are we going to have to suffer through before someone screams shut the fuck up at the top of their lungs?

Mention Carroll's price as well. Always a fucking riot that one 'n' all.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1019 on: March 5, 2012, 12:00:19 am »
This summer is going to be fun on here when we replace Maxi and Kuyt with Jarvis and Sinclair for a combined fee of over £20m :lmao

does feel like paupers trying to act like kings....................
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Jetmir M.

• Kopite
« Reply #1020 on: March 5, 2012, 12:01:00 am »
good argument, i partically liked the bits with the facts, and the counterargument.

It's so obvious we need a right sided player and another CM (both quality). Adam isn't first team player and is never gonna be. And you say Lucas will come in for Adam but you fail to understand they're totally different players. For the sake of discussion let's say he will. With Stevie we're never gonna get a full season out of him, unfortunately, so it automatically makes Adam first team player for half a season, maybe even more.

Then if you think we have enough quality on the wings... it's just insane. Downing, for all his resurgence in recent, games isn't going to the type of winger we need, one to take on full backs, cut in and have a pop himself. Then there's the right-wing problem. A lot of games we have played a young CM there which shows how poor we are in that position. Kuyt is probably going to be moved in the summer as is Maxi and even if he isn't, he's not going to be the superman who runs 2-3miles more than the others.

Saying we just need a striker in the summer is utter bullshit imo.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1021 on: March 5, 2012, 12:02:09 am »
Some of you need to quit feeling sorry for yourselves. Fuck sakes man, we have won a trophy for the first time in 6 whole freakin years and have a decent chance to win our 2nd. Plus we just turned over an average squad and now have a solid base to build upon.

Fucking mental some of you are.

Offline HariLFC

• Kopite
  • Walk on with hope in your heart.
« Reply #1022 on: March 5, 2012, 12:03:47 am »
This is a train-wreck of a thread. Dear God close it.

Offline Jetmir M.

• Kopite
« Reply #1023 on: March 5, 2012, 12:04:57 am »

So you're happy with our CMs this season?

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1024 on: March 5, 2012, 12:09:43 am »
Comolli only makes these statements so he, Kenny and the rest of the lads can huddle round a big screen sipping from a glass of whiskey while reading RAWK. Gotta be better than McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow.

Offline Quintet

• Kopite
« Reply #1025 on: March 5, 2012, 12:09:48 am »
Some of you need to quit feeling sorry for yourselves. Fuck sakes man, we have won a trophy for the first time in 6 whole freakin years and have a decent chance to win our 2nd. Plus we just turned over an average squad and now have a solid base to build upon.

Fucking mental some of you are.
True that. Overall we are better off than we were last year. The trophy win was huge, takes so much pressure off them.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #1026 on: March 5, 2012, 12:25:07 am »
Fuck buying just British players, or Dutch players, or French players, or German, or Kazakh, or (insert name of any country here).

Just buy players that are good enough and fit to wear the shirt. So what if they're not British? And can we also stop with this "potential" nonsense? We can't afford to buy young and highly over-priced players and wait years for them to develop. We need proven quality now. Even Arsenal are slowly beginning to find that out.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2012, 12:27:55 am by BG Red »

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1027 on: March 5, 2012, 03:14:02 am »

and you think they won“t be?

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wums should remain underground...
« Reply #1028 on: March 5, 2012, 03:28:32 am »
So you're happy with our CMs this season?

Technically, a certain Italian CM is still on our books....

Anybody keeping track on the number of games he has played??? 

Would love to have him back, it'll be worth it just to see a part of RAWK having their own nuclear meltdown:)

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #1029 on: March 5, 2012, 04:32:06 am »
Get shot of Carroll and Adam, get a world class midfielder and......... bring Torres home.
Freaking hell,Adam for 7m should go,and Downing 20m and Henderson 16m shouldnt.Typical hatred.

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #1030 on: March 5, 2012, 04:37:04 am »
If we had a £15-20m budget in the summer for a number 9, i think Torres is the best we could get.

If the service and assists are there, I'm convinced that a happy Torres would bury the chances we give him.
Would totally agree with you there.Happen or not happen.15m.Massive wage cut..Cant think that it would be a problem,considering the fact that he wont in all probability make the Euros.
That,plus a world class CAM/RW would be enough.
The lad still knows how to score.He is being wasted in a rubbish team which does not know how to use him.Kenny sure did,which is why he scored those goals in January.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1031 on: March 5, 2012, 04:47:19 am »
Technically, a certain Italian CM is still on our books....

Anybody keeping track on the number of games he has played??? 

Would love to have him back, it'll be worth it just to see a part of RAWK having their own nuclear meltdown:)

About a week ago it was 5 more games to make the move permanent. Not sure if he has played since then.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Czar

• Anny Roader
  • Energy!
    • Benevolent - Extreme Technical Metal!
« Reply #1032 on: March 5, 2012, 05:48:22 am »

We did regress after the Lucas injury and that is because we do not have an adequate replacement; Spearing will never be good enough.

Our midfield is far too weak, Stevie is only a bit part player now, Adam is not world class in any way, shape or form; we need to sign a replacement for Lucas and a creative/marauding midfielder as well.

Right wing is an eternal problem that needs to be resolved.

We also lack penetration through the middle of the park in the shape of defense splitting passes or dribbles ala Benayoun.

Finally, we need a poacher.

Considering what Comolli said about only a couple of adjustments I am sure we will not be working on all I mentioned but lets face it, 30 goals so far this season is not a coincidence - it is the result of a series of factors.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #1033 on: March 5, 2012, 05:54:04 am »

We need more then that. What if Lucas gets injured again? Or what if that serious injury he had means we'll never see the best of Lucas?

Online harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #1034 on: March 5, 2012, 05:55:47 am »

If we had a striker putting in a quarter of the balls that have fizzed through the six yard box, or hit the post we'd be in forth.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1035 on: March 5, 2012, 05:56:59 am »
I mean that you need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Shelvey is, right now, a better player than Henderson.  There's no question about that.  Why we insist with Henderson when 95% of his career with us he's been an anonymous passenger is beyond me.  Why we bought him in the first place, is beyond me.  Why we paid so much for him, is beyond me.  It isn't his fault he's here.  But FFS, take some pressure off the kid and let him come off the bench, and let him play in cup matches.  He is like a chicken with his head cut off most of the time.  Shelvey is younger, more confident, more skilled, and showed against Villa a few matches back why HE should be starting and Henderson should be on the bench. 

Instead, we bump Shelvey off to Blackpool, then bring him back just to sit the bench. 

Shelvey, Sterling, Wisdom, even Coady could all be stars for us in the future.  I don't think Henderson will be.  It doesn't mean sell him or slag him off or any of that business, but at the same time don't be ridiculous and make out like he's something he's not.

This is just so wrong I don't even know where to begin. You are the type of fan who will be calling for Shelvey to start one week and calling his career over the next week after a poor game. Shelvey has a lot of potential but right now Henderson is a superior player to him.

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #1036 on: March 5, 2012, 06:03:11 am »
Only 2 or 3 adjustments may not be such a bad thing if they are really amazing, as in a world class striker, midfielder and winger.
It's a website mate. Names can't be named. If they were, there'd be mutiny. If they aren't, people will scream ... ask for proof. But you will never find 100% proof of anything on here. So, .. look at all evidence, weigh everything up and make a decision.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #1037 on: March 5, 2012, 06:06:38 am »
Only 2 or 3 adjustments may not be such a bad thing if they are really amazing, as in a world class striker, midfielder and winger.

Agreed. This is what we have to do.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1038 on: March 5, 2012, 06:10:18 am »
If people think a poacher kind of striker is all we need to start scoring freely again then you are sorely mistaken. We need a super striker in the mold of Torres or Van Persie and a goal scoring winger with guile.

I'm afraid that we'll end up with Sinclair and Bent and pay  20m for Sinclair and 30m for Bent.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Online harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #1039 on: March 5, 2012, 06:14:27 am »
If people think a poacher kind of striker is all we need to start scoring freely again then you are sorely mistaken. We need a super striker in the mold of Torres or Van Persie and a goal scoring winger with guile.

I'm afraid that we'll end up with Sinclair and Bent and pay  20m for Sinclair and 30m for Bent.

Name 5 wingers you'd want here
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him