Author Topic: Personal highlights of a great European Season: the Top 10 of Friendship  (Read 8271 times)

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
An article written for the official site. Didn't want to post it here till it had dropped off the .tv front page.

The Top Ten of Friendship: Highlights of a Liverpool Supporter's European Season 2006-07
                                                                      By Nigel Shaw

In the hour before the Champions League Final kicked off in Athens I didn’t witness the difficulties being faced by many of my fellow Reds as they tried to enter the stadium. I must admit I was on a high after a wonderful afternoon spent bonding with the Olympiakos fans at their stadium in Piraeus, but I don’t think that affected my sense of vision or reality and as I strolled happily from the metro to Gate One, not seeing any trouble whatsoever. As a seasoned away traveller I could see the arrangements for ticket checking were woefully inadequate, and I don’t wish to minimise the problems – but I didn’t see any trouble, and only heard about it afterwards.  

I bumped into my mate John and we were comparing notes on the highlights of our trips to Athens. Both of us had spent a thoroughly enjoyable few days in the Greek capital, looking around the sights, sampling great food, meeting great Reds from all over the world and mingling happily with Milan fans. Both of us agreed that the matchday afternoon’s friendly meet-up with Olympiakos fans at their stadium in Piraeus was one of the highlights of a great season, and would be remembered for many years to come (see below for details), whatever the result that night. I shook his hand and off we went to enjoy the match from our different sections of the Liverpool end.

Afterwards John agreed that one of the most memorable things about that hour before kick-off, though, as we absorbed the atmosphere and took a hundred photographs of all the wonderful flags around us in our different sections of the ground, were the ‘good luck’ texts we received from supporters of other teams around Europe – probably more than from family and friends back home !  I got messages of goodwill from supporters we’d met up with at earlier rounds like Bordeaux and Barcelona – and John got one from the Galatasaray supporters’ club that he and his mates from Red all Over The Land met up with last December in Istanbul.

A couple of days later we debated our own personal ‘top ten’ highlights of another great season of in Europe. We couldn’t agree on the exact contents or order of our lists, but it was noticeable that all of the memories we chose had more to do with our unfailing ability to bond with our ‘opposing’ supporters from the ‘grass roots’ upwards, than with the results themselves. So, in reverse order, here are my personal Top Ten Euro memories of 2006-07:

10.  The brilliant atmosphere in Monastiraki Square, where Liverpool and Milan fans partied on the Thursday night in Athens. Coming out of the tube station at midnight 24 hours after our defeat I assumed it must be Rossoneri fans singing this unfamiliar tune, and sure enough the first fans I saw in the square were Milanese. But I soon realised that they were dancing and clapping along in admiration and amusement while hundreds of Reds sang the new ‘Best Midfield in the World’ song non-stop. They were awestruck, as a conga line of merry reds gave high-fives and handshakes to every Milan fan around. I heard them say in Italian ‘imagine what they’re like when they win’. This reminded me of taking a friend from Milan, a massive Inter fan, into the Albert pub  behind the Kop a couple of hours after the home defeat to Man United last March – he phoned his mates back home and let them listen to the songs, before using that exact same phrase in Italian ‘imagine what they’re like when they win’.

9.  Another great season for iLFC, our supporters’ team based at the Sandon pub, Anfield,which after organising friendly games with Juve and Inter fans in the previous two seasons, is now planning a major international supporters’ tournament in Liverpool next summer. Typical of the events we take part in was the excellent atmosphere at a friendly supporters’ tournament in Birkenhead in May, where Tranmere, Liverpool and Everton fans exchanged friendly banter and played matches with other supporters’ teams from Northern England and Scotland. Various other very successful ‘mini derbies’ have been organised throughout the season between teams from LFC & EFC websites.

8.  Teaching the ‘neutral’ Dynamo Kiev fans, together with numerous Russian and Ukrainian Reds, to sing our songs at the Maccabi away game last August. I am reliably informed that the local translation “we all dream of a team of Schevchenkoes” has now taken off at international matches in Kiev.

7.  Dancing to a Beatles tribute band in the Cavern Club with the Barca fans in March. It’s great to have an excuse to be a tourist in your own city every now and then, and the delight on their faces at being in the home of the Fab Four was unforgettable.

6.  Dancing until we dropped with the Bordeaux fans at Lloyds Bar in Concert Square last October. It’s great to use the excuse of ‘entertaining visitors’ to escape from the Mrs. every now and then !

5.  Galatasaray away. The only one on my list where I wasn’t there, but I’ve included this one for John from RAOTL. The meetings between their Ultra Aslan group and our supporters started when we first played Gala in 2002 and the link is going strong, with wonderful hospitality, exchange of scarves, badges, shirts and songs the night before the CL group match.

4.  Arsenal home. OK, this wasn’t a European match, but with the way the Arsenal fans responded so positively to our leaflets telling them what the day was all about, their comments of support, the exchange of HJC scarves and badges with them, and the way Thierry Henry said it was the most remarkable atmosphere he’d ever experienced …this very English FA Cup match sure felt like a European night !

3.  Barca away. It was remarkable enough organising a supporters’ match over the internet, and a miracle that any of us ever found the pitch on the outskirts of Barcelona in the foothills of the mountains… but the most amazing thing is that this match was organised jointly on the Red and White Kop site by top Reds from Russia, Liverpool and New Delhi !! This was another wonderful friendly event, the sort of gesture which is changing football for the better every season,  which got good coverage in the Catalan press but none in the UK

2.   Bordeaux away. Unable to arrange a supporters’ match, the “Devils” group of Bordeaux Ultras certainly made up for it in hospitality. They didn’t live up to their sinister name at all, by plying us with all-night free beer, free scarves, banners, sweatshirts and badges. We made sure we returned the compliment in Liverpool a
fortnight later.

1.  Athens, May 23rd 2007.  I won’t remember the shambolic organisation at the stadium in the evening for half as long as I remember the friendship exchanged that afternoon. On previous visits to Anfield the Olympiakos Gate Seven supporters, 21 of whom were crushed to death at their old stadium in 1981, had laid tributes at the Hillsborough memorial. So on this occasion the gesture was returned with a ceremony at their memorial. Steve Wright and Murf from the HJC/RAOTL organised the presentation of a wreath and a banner saying ‘21 + 96 You'll Never Walk Alone’.

Over a hundred Liverpool Reds were there that afternoon to show solidarity with their brothers & sisters from Piraeus, and hundreds more made pilgrimages on the following days, dozens of them leaving their LFC scarves tied on the 3 separate memorials, around the stadium and in the museum. The bond between the local  Gate 7 supporters and members of Red All Over the Land, many of whom personally knew the victims of the respective tragedies, was incredibly moving.  Afterwards we sat in their café exchanging scarves, badges and e-mail addresses, and made plans for exchange visits and a supporters’ match next season. We weren’t even allowed to pay for the beer and Kebabs we enjoyed in the stadium’s “Red Café” !  The Greek press was full of positive reaction to the afternoon’s events … but of course the English media ignored it, happy just to repeat the negatives and the UEFA smears over and over. After all, despite clearly being the world experts in grass roots football friendship, we’re suddenly ‘the worst fans in Europe’, aren’t we ?  [Oh no, by the time I'd finally posted this article, we're not again. Make up your minds chaps ! Who stole our crown, anyway ? Surely we deserve to be told ! ]

The truth is that there is something in the nature of Merseyside people that sees us breaking the ice and establishing warm friendships wherever we go, and Reds from beyond the city  and across the globe have picked up on these traditions. Whether it be a simple shake of the hand, a spontaneous exchange of scarves or a meeting planned over the internet like the ones I've listed above, the vast majority of our supporters are a credit to our city and an example to follow throughout the European football community.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2007, 03:24:06 pm by nige »

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
Always a pleasure to read your work Nige.  Feeling bad that I was unable to come to Olympiakos but really proud of the people who did.  Bring on 2007-2008 and I hope to see some of you again once or twice this coming season.

Offline Rhino

• Last of the great romantics. Tess of the Googlevilles. Randy internet flirt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96 RIP
Good read that.  These are the things that go un-noticed by those fools from UEFA

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
Excellent once again, Nige! Great to be reminded of your enthusiasm for LFC, the beautiful game and it's many positives, especially after all that's been said in the past two weeks. 

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
Lovely read that nige  :)
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline gnaume

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wow! My subconsciousness is a genius!
great read there, mate!! Very pleased to hear all these things after the whole talking of the last two weeks...  three thumbs up!

Offline AngelNeo

• Main Stander
Wonderful read Nige ! You are doing a really good job mate!

It feels great to be a small part of it this season and I hope to be able to join in next season. What about some events in Moscow ? ;-)

Offline Bouncer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • "It's not my ego, it's my responsibility" Benitez
Nice work feller.

Thats exactly why I drove with my mates from belgrade just to be with the redmen - nearly got turned back on the Macedonian border as we had no tickets, but we were hppy enough to spend the time of night and day singing the best football songs in the world with freind and foe. This is exactly why Im a red - easily some of the best fans and SUPPORTERS in the world. That is why Gaylord and Platini will not get away with slurring our good name. We should pursue them and the bloke (Ian O'Doherty) from the Irish Independent who called us scum of the back of a manufactured report. They will not get away with this outrageous slander of our amicable majority.

YNWA
Gatusso says that Liverpool play too many long balls?

I don’t think he watches many Liverpool games, the same way I don’t watch many Milan games. (Rafa)

Offline Freelance

• Boys Pen
Brilliant piece there mate, everything I've been thinking since UEFA, or rather Gaillard, started spouting his poison. I felt s sense of injustice, having been amongst that brilliant party in Monastiraki after the match (incidentally, it revved up all over again on the Thursday night too!) A milan fan said 'your wake is better than our party!'

I felt great that we didn't react to defeat like many English fans would, ie smashing up bars or opposition fans, or slink away to our hotels. Instead we drank and sang all night, and congratulated Milan's rather bemused looking fans (might have been a bit different if we'd just lost to Chelsea or Mancs mind). That's the way to respond to defeat, we won a legion of new admirers after the match, and the Liver[pool legend grew some more, yet when you get a home an unrecognisable story is being told. Well what the media reported and what UEFA said certainly wasn't what I witnessed, and I've been trying to tell everybody since. Your piece just says it all!

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
cc. Messrs Platini and Gaillard.

Quality piece.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline CalgaryKopite

• Boys Pen
  • Drink! Feck! Girls! Arse!
Thanks for the refreshing article that aptly reminds me of what the word "Truth" means.

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
(incidentally, it revved up all over again on the Thursday night too!) A milan fan said 'your wake is better than our party!'

Yeah it was the the Thursday/early hours of Friday I was on about. Class.

Anyone else got any to add to the list ? The atmospheres at Barca (h)  and Chelsea (h) go without saying of course.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
Really good piece Nige, thoroughly enjoyed reading that, hope we can meet up one day for that drink.

Thanks for holding up the good name of LFC
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 09:50:58 pm by vicgill »
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline eoa106

• Kopite
    • East of Anfield
Nige - that post is an inspiration. In a time when the press breeds on negativity and sensationalism more than ever before, it is extremely important that fans share their real stories of supporting Liverpool FC.

Thank you for doing just that.
East of Anfield - Proud Territory of the People's Republic of Liverpool!

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
One question.

Can we expect another piece featuring locked bathrooms?

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Bordeaux was a real highlight of the year for me - a great trip, and the Ultras were fantastic hosts. It's what it's all about, for me; meeting up with opposing fans, necking some cold beers and using whatever mix of various languages, pigeon english and wild gesticulations to communicate with people from around the continent.

Good stuff, Nige, as ever.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
meeting up with opposing fans, necking some cold beers and using whatever mix of various languages, pigeon english and wild gesticulations to communicate with people from around the continent.

Testiculating.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline the red rebel

• Legacy Fan
  • our eyes hath seen the glory
yer a great ambassador nige, great read.

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
One question.

Can we expect another piece featuring locked bathrooms?

:)

Maybe that's why I was in such a good mood on final day, just feeling lucky to be there at all instead of shut in the hotel bathroom (my room-mate Raul, folks, had thoughtfully removed most of the door-opening mechanism earlier that morning, and placed it helpfully on his bed).

If I'd stayed locked in the bathroom any longer, my number 1 might have been Bordeaux !
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 04:27:06 pm by nige »

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bargin Booze. Making life richer for the pourer.
Good read and brings back lots of very happy memory's that will last for ever although the 'bench would deffo me in mine as well. Had some unbelievable times in Europe this season and its been a privilege to be able to do it.
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus

Offline Bouncer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • "It's not my ego, it's my responsibility" Benitez
http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/sport/other-sports/liverpool-fans-treated-145like-pigs146-by-greek-authorities-697128.html

DROGHEDA journalist John Kierans has vowed ‘never to set foot in Greece again’, after witnessing the way both Irish and British fans were treated after Liverpool’s Champion’s League game against AC Milan.John, the Editor of the Irish Daily Mirror, insisted that the Liverpool fans were treated ‘like pigs’ in Athens.‘That’s the reality.

By Marie Kierans
DROGHEDA journalist John Kierans has vowed ‘never to set foot in Greece again’, after witnessing the way both Irish and British fans were treated after Liverpool’s Champion’s League game against AC Milan.

John, the Editor of the Irish Daily Mirror, insisted that the Liverpool fans were treated ‘like pigs’ in Athens.

‘That’s the reality. UEFA blaming Liverpool fans for the riots in Greece is an absolute disgrace. It was so bad I will never set foot in Greece again.

‘The authorities there should be ashamed of themselves,’ he blasted, adding that it was the Greek authorities who were responsible for the chaos that erupted in and around the stadium.

‘I would call on all Irish people to boycott the country in future because the way they were treated was absolutely disgusting.’

John claims that the cops were spoiling for a fight from early in the day and they were going to tear gas Liverpool fans no matter what happened at the game.

‘They didn’t care who they hit with batons either. There is a political issue in Greece at the moment with the police looking for a pay rise. They wanted violence to break out to prove a point.’

He said that riot police blocked up the whole stadium, making it slow and difficult to get inside and causing tensions to rise.

‘I have travelled the world with the Irish soccer team and I have never witnessed anything like what I saw in Athens on Wednesday night. The outrageous fiasco at the stadium was bad enough but the situation that I witnessed at the airport was unforgivable.’

He described how nearly 10,000 Liverpool fans were shoved into a marquee which was built to hold about 200 whilst the AC Milan fans were put into the main terminal building where they had toilets, food and other facilities. All the flights to Milan left first, it was 5am before any Liverpool fans’ flights took off.

‘There was another new terminal built for the Olympics some years ago, but the Greeks refused to let Liverpool fans use it because they thought they would wreck it. What kind of mentality is that?,’ he asked.

‘Instead you had fathers and kids, mainly from Dublin, trying to sleep on a concrete floor.’

He stressed that there were no problems with the AC Milan and Liverpool fans.

‘They enjoyed the craic together and only a small minority caused any trouble. But when the police look for a row, and when people are so badly treated, some tempers are bound to flare up.

‘Liverpool fans were targeted. The supporters were absolutely terrified and my heart went out to them.’

John insists that all the authorities wanted was their money!

‘A pint of beer cost e7, two vodkas and a Red Bull were e33. The usual taxi fare into the city is e27 but drivers were demanding as much as e150 for the match

Gatusso says that Liverpool play too many long balls?

I don’t think he watches many Liverpool games, the same way I don’t watch many Milan games. (Rafa)

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan

Offline so kop end lad

• Legacy Fan
Excllent read that!

Seems i miss all the fun.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Was a good year until Athens.

Bordeaux was great.  My abiding memories there are of toilet plungers.

PSV was good too... also my first arrest..  which wasn't good, but will be a memory of sorts. Shame, cos Sante cafe and my crowd/PSV fans epitomised all that European trips mean to me.

Barca was iffy, but the afternoon with our lot/Emo's crowd was terrific mostly.

Offline jonesyb

• How many cans of Efes would it take to fill 5 European Cups?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • I'll have one more then I'm going on the piss!
Excellent thread Nige. Hoping to kick off the new season in style starting at the Rotterdam Tournament in August.
"what d'ye mean ye broke yer leg? Thats Liverpool's bloody leg"
Shankly to Tommy Smith

Offline stejay

• Anny Roader
Great thread man.

Offline raphaels

• Boys Pen
we can offer a 4night package for flights and hotels for these games / friday 3rd August Liverpool vs shanghai shenhua, also Liverpool vs feyenoord on sunday the 5th August. based on staying in amsterdam. the matches are being held as part of the celebrations of the 75th aniversary of the port rotterdam, there is also great celebrations due to this aniversary.

cost per person £319
price includes-direct and return flights from manchester to amsterdam including airport taxes and four nights accomadation in a three star central hotel inclusive of breakfast.

fighlt timings

dep MAN 10:35             11:35 arrive AMS
                         return 
dep AMS 13:05             15:20 arrive MAN

or

dep MAN 12:20             13:25 arrive AMS
                         return
dep AMS 15:25             17:35 arrive MAN

for more info or help please call RAF TOURS on 02085449680 or email your enquiry to raf@raftours.co.uk

Offline jhogg

• Wikidi woo. Act like a twat. look like a twat
  • Anny Roader
Really well written, great read :) !
JFT 96

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan

for more info or help please call RAF TOURS on 02085449680 or email your enquiry to raf@raftours.co.uk

Mods can you please delete this post ? Would you trust anyone who can't  spell 'accommodation' to organise a trip any further than  Alton Towers ?

Let's hope Athens was a further nail in the coffin of rip-off organised packages.
This thread is INDEPENDENT and proud.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 12:41:58 pm by nige »

Offline Waterloo Phil

• Cheeky bleeder. Thinks the mods are here to answer to his beck and call
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ya Get Me

Barca was iffy, but the afternoon with our lot/Emo's crowd was terrific mostly.

Was a great afternoon that Shaun

Good read and brings back lots of very happy memory's that will last for ever although the 'bench would deffo me in mine as well.

Yeah the bench has to be up there Emo

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Mods can you please delete this post ? Would you trust anyone who can't  spell 'accommodation' to organise a trip any further than  Alton Towers ?

Let's hope Athens was a further nail in the coffin of rip-off organised packages.
This thread is INDEPENDENT and proud.

This forum is independent. Can the target marketing fuckers, Mods. Please.

Offline ben.williams

• Boys Pen
This was on .tv?! says it all as i didnt get a chance to see it with all the rubbish that has been posted there recently.  Great read mate, exactly why ive left .tv to come here and read.

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
This was on .tv?! says it all as i didnt get a chance to see it with all the rubbish that has been posted there recently.  Great read mate, exactly why ive left .tv to come here and read.

I didn't mean on the forums. Like you say ...  ;)

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/features/2007/jun/FX11561070606-1259.htm

The article dropped down  quickly  because poor old Smithy had his heart attack and stuff. My idea was to have positive supporter stories there when journos looked up the club's reaction to Gaillard, Platini, etc, but .tv weren't that bothered about playing a tit-for-tat PR game. Fair enough really, because in retrospect Gaillard's nonsense was best ignored.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2007, 11:10:31 am by nige »

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bargin Booze. Making life richer for the pourer.
I didn't mean on the forum  ;)

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/features/2007/jun/FX11561070606-1259.htm

Dropped down  v.quickly  because poor Smithy had his heart attack and stuff ...

Just read all that on there again. Sat here smiling at all the great memories. Could sit and talk all night about the Euro trips last season.
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
You know you've read a quality post when you get all goose pimply, with the odd tear in yer eye. Not something usually associated with a 31 year old skin headed scouser.
Loved it.

Quote from: Peter Griffin, Yesterday
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A Pedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert."

Offline tom5times

• Boys Pen
www.myliverpool.tk

Check it out! Great website thats getting started and once it gets going trust me you will want to be a part of it. So join now and become part of the new Liverpool FC forum thats going to rock the internet!!!!

www.myliverpool.tk

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
Hi Nige. Great to meet you again at Cologne going back home. I enjoyed that piece. See you soon...

Roger

Offline anfield71

• Kemlynite
  • to the 96,youll never walk alone
well said nige,its stuff like this the press in this country dont want to hear about,but all of the fans from all walks of life have one voice because of disaters like ours 96+21.we might all talk diffrent languages but we all understand