Author Topic: FT WBA 1-1 LFC  (Read 50601 times)

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
Re: FT WBA 1-1 LFC
« Reply #1400 on: February 3, 2014, 02:08:14 am »
Teams drop points - it's okay.  It happens.  At the end of the day we need to be realistic and accept that we aren't competing with Oil FC or Arsenal or Oli FC's inbred seven fingered manc cousins - we're trying to get into the Champions League, which this season means we're competing against the inbred Manc slime (lost 1/3rd of their league games, they are shite), Spurs (5-0 also shite), and Everton (4-0 also shite).  We aren't shite.  They all are, we dropped points today, but we'll finish above all three of these crap teams- and by May as well.  Genuinely the game against the barcodes on the last day will be all about whether or not we have to play Spartak Wherethefuck rather than if we can scrape a tie against them.  We'll have top four wrapped up by Easter Sunday.  Quote me.

Allez les Rouges

Oil FC. I like it :)

Positive; out of the results comparison from last year we've gained four points over the last three games. Okay, so Kolo made a mistake, but the amount of times we've pissed about at the back this season, it was bound to happen at some stage, given the amount of times we've changed personnel at the back due to injuries. To be honest, Mignolet should never have rolled the ball to Kolo, as basically stated by Brendan.

All in all, we were too slow from the back. The whole game was flat from the crowd to the players. It wasn't the performance we were expecting after such a great Derby victory but it's happened and we move on. Still forth with Arsenal this week. Onwards and upwards.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1401 on: February 3, 2014, 02:30:25 am »
Obviously Toure's mistake was a big moment but as a team we didn't do enough throughout the game. Laboured performance and a disappointing result but these things happen - there'll probably be one or two more this season. The abuse of Toure is too much. Bad mistake but he was clearly gutted about it. I agree that he's probably 4th choice CB and he made a mistake but that doesn't make him a c*nt does it?!
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline PaLee

• Death by football
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • This is ANFIELD!!!
« Reply #1402 on: February 3, 2014, 02:38:35 am »
I really hope that west brom get relegated this year. Plays like a great team every time they meet us, and becomes shite the next weekend. And that form will continue until they play another big team, and the cycle continues.. >:(

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1403 on: February 3, 2014, 02:46:54 am »
We started slowly and lost a lot of 50/50 challenges which gave them hope. We controlled the game after we scored but we never looked like running away with it. Instead we looked content to sit on a 1-0 lead. Rodgers employed the same counter attacking tactics as he did against Everton, but West Brom weren't pressing that high.

I'm a bit disappointed with the result because they never really threatened our goal much. Henderson didn't have his best game and Coutinho was trying for too much at times. Still, 4 points in 2 games is an improvement on our results against them last season.

Offline Occy

• Anny Roader
  • Loves to Lurk.
« Reply #1404 on: February 3, 2014, 03:11:46 am »
Obviously Toure's mistake was a big moment but as a team we didn't do enough throughout the game. Laboured performance and a disappointing result but these things happen - there'll probably be one or two more this season. The abuse of Toure is too much. Bad mistake but he was clearly gutted about it. I agree that he's probably 4th choice CB and he made a mistake but that doesn't make him a c*nt does it?!

This

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1405 on: February 3, 2014, 03:15:02 am »
Disappointing because though we weren't at our best I thought we offered more than they did. It was a bad mistake but our accuracy in holding the ball in midfield and our movement wasn't as good as it could be for the other 89 minutes. We had chances to kill the game off but it wasn't to be.

Looks like some tired lads out there - will be good if we can get a few players back from injury.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #1406 on: February 3, 2014, 03:17:57 am »
We need more supporters like you

"inbred seven-fingered Manc cousins", "inbred Manc slime", "shite", "shite", "shite"?

really?
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1407 on: February 3, 2014, 03:21:55 am »
"inbred seven-fingered Manc cousins", "inbred Manc slime", "shite", "shite", "shite"?

really?

This bit:

We'll have top four wrapped up by Easter Sunday.  Quote me.

Allez les Rouges

Really.

Too many negative, over-critical, spoilt, over-reactionary supporters on these boards, with no sense of the big picture, and no courage to look at the best-case scenario.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1408 on: February 3, 2014, 03:28:15 am »
This bit:

Really.

Too many negative, over-critical, spoilt, over-reactionary supporters on these boards, with no sense of the big picture, and no courage to look at the best-case most likely scenario.
;D

Offline YoungKopite

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1409 on: February 3, 2014, 03:39:54 am »
No attacking options from the bench. Simple.
Feel sorry for Rodgers.

Pretty much this. Our bench isn't strong enough to change games. Hopefully we can pick up enough points for 4th and sort it out in the summer. YNWA

Offline kevmck

• Kopite
« Reply #1410 on: February 3, 2014, 03:40:30 am »
We seem to be saying this about every 4th game or so

better to look forward than to sit around whining.  bad day at the office - but we can either move forward and get better or sit around and complain..

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1411 on: February 3, 2014, 03:41:52 am »
It's going to be fine.
This is by far the tightest league we've had in a while, numerous teams are dropping points against teams they really shouldn't be (United having the lion's share of that, admittedly...  ;)) and whilst we can look on the West Brom match as a bit of a missed opportunity - lots of people dropped points this weekend, and at least one of City and Chelsea will do the same tonight. It's an up and down season, and we should be looking to consolidate fourth rather than be annoyed when we miss opportunities to start fighting for the league.
Whilst it's nice to dream, 7th to 1st in one season would have been beyond remarkable.

Next year though...

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1412 on: February 3, 2014, 03:46:45 am »
Too many negative, over-critical, spoilt, over-reactionary supporters on these boards, with no sense of the big picture, and no courage to look at the best-case scenario.

Well said.  Sadly it's like that everywhere though.  I'm sigging this  ;D.

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1413 on: February 3, 2014, 03:53:51 am »
2 very disappointing draws in 3 games, and on another day the match against Stoke could have gone against us too. Very difficult to argue that we didn't need new signings in January now. The squad is being stretched thin. A lot of tired players in that second half which doesn't bode well for the rest of the games. We clearly needed one or two new signings to freshing things up, even before the injuries started piling up.

But we didn't get them so we have no choice but to hope things start picking up.

Offline barbudo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #1414 on: February 3, 2014, 03:53:52 am »
Pretty much this. Our bench isn't strong enough to change games. Hopefully we can pick up enough points for 4th and sort it out in the summer. YNWA

But how do we know that they're not strong enough? The fact that the manager doesn't play Aspas when we need a goal certainly supports that view, but we won't know for sure if he's never called upon. BR seems to be a very conservative manager when it comes to substitutions.
Bethink ye, bethink ye ... that ye might be mistaken! (Oliver Cromwell)

Offline Stateside Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1415 on: February 3, 2014, 04:15:07 am »
I don't understand the use of that word in that context ... can you elaborate?

And, just curious, what's your best-case scenario?

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #1416 on: February 3, 2014, 04:19:34 am »
Normally I"ll try and read as many posts/pages as possible in these post match threads. Some for the sensible post match analysis and some for the sheer entertainment value but I generally refrain from posting as I would probably be just be repeating what has already been said throughout the thread but I have to admit I was fairly f**ked off at the way the WBA players systematically fouled our players when breaking forward. Seemed to be a tactic discussed pre match and then implemented as a way of negating our forward momentum. Frustrating and I found myself thumping the table on more than a few occasions and letting out a diatribe of expletives to match. Anyway, looking forward now to Arsenal. I love watching our Reds play. Can't wait.

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1417 on: February 3, 2014, 04:22:38 am »
Everytime I see that Kolo error, my astonishment and bewilderment grow exponentially.

In all honesty, I would seriously consider releasing Kolo Toure immediately.

Here me out.

This idea is not born out of a belief that he isn't good enough for the squad, cause I think he is definitely a good back up CB.

This feeling is based purely on that one single pass.

Quick Preface: I have never felt this way about any football error ever. When Riise had that header own goal in the CL semis, I was devastated but I never wanted him released.

No, this feeling is based on the nature of his error and how I believe it reflects something undesirable in his mindset in regards to his place at the club and within the team.

I have never seen a professional athlete in any sport commit an error so outrageous as this.

Don't get me wrong, plenty of footballers have made the errant backpass to the keeper only to be greeted with the awful realization that a striker was behind them. Skrtel knows what I'm talking about, and so does Gerrard.

But the important aspect of those errors was that they were committed as a product of complacency; they backpass is a safety net and is made dozens of times a game, week after week, without incident or danger of giving a goal away. They become second nature in a way and therefore can show up when a defender has a lapse in concentration.

The difference with Kolo Toure is that this mofo is looking directly in Anichebe's direction. Moreover, Kolo is being closed down by two WBA players and we are protecting a lead. It is also important to note that WBA has been pressing our midfield the entire game and playing it out from the back has been fairly difficult, we have already made SEVERAL careless passes and gave the ball away in our own half and those giveaways almost led to goals. More importantly, KT, himself, had made several mistakes in possession by taking too long and dwelling on the ball allowing himself to get closed down and forced into a bad pass.

Being able to pass the ball out of defense against a team that is pressing high up the field has been a recurrent challenge all season. In this game, it was the KEY FACTOR in us getting a result. WBA had produced fuck all in the way of real chances on their own. The only way they could get back into the match was if we became careless.

THAT WAS THE NARRATIVE OF THE MATCH --- Retain possession and build from the back smartly = win.

There is no excuse for KT being that completely oblivious.

At this point, you may be thinking that this hardly warrants his release...I agree. These next 2 or 3 points are what makes me infuriated.

Point 1: WE ARE IN A DOGFIGHT FOR 4TH PLACE

- This is the most competitive premier league season in its history. If we were fighting for 4th a couple years ago it would have only been with city or arsenal. Now we have to beat out 3 teams to get the 4th spot and 2 of those teams have quite a bit more money and have been able to buy numerous quality first team players giving them solid depth. Everton is in a similar situation with us in that they need a bit of good fortune to sustain a full season top 4 challenge.
- The race for 4th is so tightly contested that we not only worry about getting wins but also about padding our GD where we can, ruing any missed chances against relegation sides as it could prove decisive.

POINT 2: We had a chance to put some distance between us and our competition

- This stings the more I think about it.
Everyone knew the fantastic opportunity we had been presented with given saturday's results. That should have given us extra motivation to separate ourselves from the pack. Instead we allowed everton to gain 2 points back.
- Which brings me to my final point...

POINT 3: THIS SEASON IS TREMENDOUSLY CRUCIAL TO OUR RETURN TO PL CONTENDERS
- If we don't get top 4...it will be a nightmare of depression
- The most devastating consequence, of course, no more Luis. And even if we get 80m for him, it will be damn difficult to replace his production and presence on the pitch. He is not a typical star player like a Ronaldo or a Bale that have glaring strengths to their game that put them on another level physically. No, Suarez' trademark is that he is unpredictable mentally and unrelenting physically. He is impossible to prepare for. He is truly in another class with messi and ronaldo.
    Also, he is just a pure joy to watch and the fact that he is a red means that watching LFC is one of my favorite things in this world. Him leaving really would leave an unmistakable void at the club. The guy is very special

- Another devastating consequence: we continue to lose ground on the PL elite.
- This second consequence is actually just as devastating as the first one I mentioned because losing Suarez would compound the effect we would feel by missing out on top 4.
- Top 4 is the key to our transfer window woes. None of these young pups give a fuck about history and prestige and past honours as much as the old guard used to. But that is because before the internet and the information super highway, clubs and stadiums were spoken of with far more reverence and wonder. The most successful clubs in Europe have a mystique to them. They were the football royalty growing up. But no everything is transparent and the all the veils of mysticism and wonder have been torn down and nothing retains its luster when it is put under the microscope every day.
  As much as we would love to believe that our history and prestige will be the defining factor in whether they choose us or tottenham, or whoever, it doesn't bear the same weight anymore.
  If you don't have CL, you might as well have nothing because that is where all the prestige is now. On top of that, prestige can be bought in just a few years. Man City are probably just as prestigious as LFC in the mind of a lot of foreigners because City is competing for top honours and they are buying the top talent in the world.
  At the moment, we will never beat City to a transfer target. They have CL and we do not
  Once we get top 4 and are reaffirmed as among Europe's Elite clubs then our history and titles will become a major factor.

- If we get top 4 this year than we will have given ourselves a phenomenal opportunity to return to PL contention as early as next year. We will gain
all that CL money and then we are back in the spotlight and back in the global consciousness as an Elite football club. Currently we are a dormant giant
- If we don't, then we not only lose out on the exposure and transfer opportunities and CL revenue, european nights but our failure would mean one of our competitors success. I really can't stress how important I feel this season is to our progression as a football club.
- City, Chelsea, United, Arsenal, Tottenham all have more money and have all had CL recently which makes this seem like they would be more likely to return than us who haven't been there in 4 years or so.
- If we do get top 4 then we will probably be able to keep Suarez and then finally make some real waves in the transfer market.
        - LFC having CL football again is like a King winning back his crown. It would immediately restore us to football royalty because our history in the CL or Champions cup is only matched by 3 other clubs. And because we have had a prolonged absence pundits and commentators will have to state our history and success in the competition to educate new fans and by them reiterating the greatness of our club it will be like our aura will have gotten a new polish and look better than ever.
- Apart from being able to once again offer transfer targets CL football as well as playing for one of the greatest football clubs of all time, they will also be enticed by the fact that we already have one of the 3 best players in the world in Luis Suarez, IN HIS PRIME, and Daniel Sturridge who is becoming a world class striker.
- And the cherry on top for any prospective target is the fact that if they sign for LFC and are able to bring the PL title back to merseyside, they will be glorified and honoured forever and join other club greats in this storied footballing institution.

So when I start to think about the ramifications and the difficulties and challenges lying ahead in our battle for 4th place, I grow even more infuriated with that complete and utter catastrophe that caused us to drop an incredibly valuable 2 points that could very well be a deciding factor in the fight for 4th place.

Kolo Toure has to be aware of just how crucial 4th place is to our revitalization as a PL power. Also, he is a back up CB who we bought for his experience and leadership so that we can have a veteran presence who has title-winning experience and can help guide our younger players in how to move and react to the up and downs of a PL season.

He is the CB we rely on to step up and put in a performance when our Starters are out injured or suspended. And instead he steps in and costs us the game with such an incredibly careless and preposterous error.

He steps in to the team to do a job and he has to know just how important each match is in the race for 4th. The match against WBA hadn't really been going all that smoothly and their pressing had us a little off our attacking rhythm and caused numerous careless errors in the first half which gave WBA their only scoring chances of any kind. Toure himself had overplayed in possession giving away possession cheaply. At halftime, one would imagine that Rodgers stressed the importance of ball security and made sure that we didn't fuck around in our own half.

And yet, around the 65 minute mark or so Toure receives the throw from mignolet, who has to take some blame for a poor decision, and is immediately confronted by two players. At this moment in fucking time, one would imagine that given the way the game had and us having a one goal lead that Toure would undoubtedly be sure to make the safest pass to give WBA any way back into the match. Instead, he turns to the middle where Anichebe happens to be standing and plays a pass across our own 18 yard box even though WBA has been looking to create turnovers in our own half by pressing high up the pitch. The pass wasn't even crisp, it was just lazily passed across the middle.

How the fuck can a player of his experience who has won PL titles with two different teams, and understands just how fine the margins are between 4th and 5th place, can shut off so completely in such an important match and commit an error that school children would get yelled at for.

He was bought in as an experienced, veteran presence in the locker room who can step in to the lineup when needed and be a composed, accomplished defender.

When he was called upon though, he let us down. Its not that he made a mistake, its how fucking naive and oblivious he was in committing it.

Fuck him. He played that whole game with an air of carelessness. I just cannot fathom how he even contrives to put himself in that position after all his years and matches.

So yea, I am just fucking gutted about the way we gave that result away and then all the possible ramifications it could have due to the closeness of the CL race.

http://redsacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline plskikme

• Kopite
  • What Could Have Been and What Can Be
« Reply #1418 on: February 3, 2014, 04:33:28 am »
Whoa it's a wonder how you've managed to hold that all in until now.

Offline plskikme

• Kopite
  • What Could Have Been and What Can Be
« Reply #1419 on: February 3, 2014, 04:38:15 am »
Kolo apologises

Best lurking kolo of all!

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1420 on: February 3, 2014, 04:39:33 am »
That's an insane post

You should really find better thing to do with your time mate
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline LFC_Verve

• Kopite
« Reply #1421 on: February 3, 2014, 04:44:49 am »
I really hope that west brom get relegated this year. Plays like a great team every time they meet us, and becomes shite the next weekend. And that form will continue until they play another big team, and the cycle continues.. >:(

Off the top of my head, they beat United at Old Trafford, undeservedly drew at Stamford Bridge when they would have won had it not been for Chelsea's last minute diving, and also held Everton to a 1-1 draw just a few weeks ago.

I was as annoyed as everyone else at our failure to capitalise on a good weekend of results elsewhere, but what you say there is simply untrue!
« Last Edit: February 3, 2014, 04:46:56 am by LFC_Verve »

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1422 on: February 3, 2014, 04:55:07 am »
If ever a thread needed locking, this page is testament to that.

Roll on the Gooners.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1423 on: February 3, 2014, 05:01:45 am »

That's outrageous. You want somebody sacked on the basis of one mistake?

These things will continue to happen occasionally, that's the nature of the way we play and the fact that Rodgers encourages players to play the ball from the back. It will result in us keeping the ball more often than not but it will also mean that mistakes will happen sometimes. If you want to release a defender every time they do that, none of them will want to play for us!
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #1424 on: February 3, 2014, 05:06:11 am »
It doesn't change a whole lot, in the big scheme of things - if I'm honest. As results go, it wasn't that awful but just disappointing considering the results yesterday. That is all, hell we are gonna drop points when we are favorites and we are gonna be in this same situation again this season - hopefully just once or twice.

Just as we were against Southampton and recently Villa. I'm just happy it is a draw we are pissed off about, hopefully when it happens and it will - it's a drawn match, similar to this one that is the source of frustration not a performance and result we saw against Hull.

Overall tho' we got lots to be positive about, despite Toure's stupid loose pass there is positives to take away from the match. It's not all doom and gloom, as some are making out... I mean it was an away game for a start and West Brom have a very good records against the top 7, only Man City might get maximum points from there 2 fixtures and without checking I think we have put the most past them and conceded the same amount to them as Chelsea for example.

I just wish we put 3 past them at Anfield and 2 past the at The Hawthorns but I also wish I was a millionaire.. haha
« Last Edit: February 3, 2014, 05:11:59 am by BMW »

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
  • He hits them from 40 yards...
« Reply #1425 on: February 3, 2014, 05:25:41 am »
It was just one of those days. We were certainly the better team for the majority of the match, but we also didn't do enough and severely struggled to find a rhythm. Toure's pass was phenomenally poor, but so was Mignolet's decision to roll the ball out to him when we was being so closely marked. It's the GK's job to gauge how closely his defenders are being stalked, especially when their back is to the field of play.

And while it's important to grind out 1-0's on the road, this shouldn't have been the case today, not with our quality. Yes, Toure is probably our 4th choice CB, but I don't believe his misplaced pass should have been the deciding factor today. The game should have been put to bed by then. West Brom have been poor this season and they were nothing special today. But instead their was a massive disconnect between the midfield and our attackers. And while Coutinho played a wonderful ball in the lead up to our goal, he went missing for large parts of the game. I'm not getting on him, just think he found himself in no man's land at key points throughout the day.

And I also can't help but think what a different match it would have been had Suarez slipped that shot past Foster when he was on the break.

So like I said, not our day... And certainly not all Toure's fault. The abuse directed towards him is abysmal from some fans and can only have a negative impact on the player and team morale.
★      ★      ★      ★      ★
77     78     81     84     05
               YNWA

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1426 on: February 3, 2014, 05:40:50 am »
we hold the ball too long, and we are not very good at it...we should find a way to give the ball to Sturridge/Suarez as fast as possible, or else we do stupid things like always...after all we are where we are thanks to Suarez/Sturridge and we are where we are because of our midfielders and defenders

and ffs HOOF the fucking ball when you dont have other options, just HOOF IT like never before

i watched the Bayern game yesterday, and their defenders are better than our midfielders with the ball, and their midfielders are GODS with the ball, so they can play the way they are playing.. WE ARE NOT, and we should stop acting like we are

its pain in the arse watching Skrtel and Mignolet exchanging passes while the opponent players are closing down all spaces and they dont know what to do anymore

" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1427 on: February 3, 2014, 05:41:38 am »
That's outrageous. You want somebody sacked on the basis of one mistake?

These things will continue to happen occasionally, that's the nature of the way we play and the fact that Rodgers encourages players to play the ball from the back. It will result in us keeping the ball more often than not but it will also mean that mistakes will happen sometimes. If you want to release a defender every time they do that, none of them will want to play for us!

Yea it is outrageous. But god damnit that was some amateurish bullshit that cost us the game. The entire play was in front of him. No one snuck up on him and he still didn't choose the safe option.

And besides, this is all inconsequential so why not express it here on the forum where, at the very least, people can laugh at the lunacy of a distressed supporter.

I know Rodgers advocates for playing it out from the back, (so do I, btw, firm advocate of ball retention and possession based attack). BUT there were many times where a pass just wasn't on, so rather than lose possession in our own half, I'm sure he wouldn't have minded a punt up field where WBA would be forced to create their own attack instead of feeding off the momentum created from our broken down attack.

But regarding my clinically insane rant: Toure is a seasoned veteran of the premier league and has a wealth of experience and I really thought these are the games where he would shine, when cool head and composed performance is required to get the result.

If it was some up-and-coming CB then I wouldn't feel this way but we signed this guy for his experience and veteran leadership and that performance and that error are the polar opposite of those attributesl

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
  • He hits them from 40 yards...
« Reply #1428 on: February 3, 2014, 05:42:16 am »
new red, no disrespect, but I have to admit your post is a complete disgrace to this message board. You wrote in the Coutinho thread this this board evokes "suicidal levels of depression and frustration after a loss". Yet your post about Toure was the most melodramatic, season-ending, career-ending, blame and hate-filled indulgent spew I have ever laid eyes on. You can't possibly take this message board seriously with such blatant double-speak and misguided criticism. I hope for your sake that was a wind-up.
★      ★      ★      ★      ★
77     78     81     84     05
               YNWA

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1429 on: February 3, 2014, 05:44:24 am »
we hold the ball too long, and we are not very good at it...we should find a way to give the ball to Sturridge/Suarez as fast as possible, or else we do stupid things like always...after all we are where we are thanks to Suarez/Sturridge and we are where we are because of our midfielders and defenders

and ffs HOOF the fucking ball when you dont have other options, just HOOF IT like never before

i watched the Bayern game yesterday, and their defenders are better than our midfielders with the ball, and their midfielders are GODS with the ball, so they can play the way they are playing.. WE ARE NOT, and we should stop acting like we are

its pain in the arse watching Skrtel and Mignolet exchanging passes while the opponent players are closing down all spaces and they dont know what to do anymore

Yea, its almost like they are able to buy all the best german players whenever they want.

Uncanny, eh?

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1430 on: February 3, 2014, 06:13:03 am »
new red, no disrespect, but I have to admit your post is a complete disgrace to this message board. You wrote in the Coutinho thread this this board evokes "suicidal levels of depression and frustration after a loss". Yet your post about Toure was the most melodramatic, season-ending, career-ending, blame and hate-filled indulgent spew I have ever laid eyes on. You can't possibly take this message board seriously with such blatant double-speak and misguided criticism. I hope for your sake that was a wind-up.

Haha. I forgot I wrote that post.

The very definition of hypocritical.

I stand by both posts. The Toure one is inconsequential. No one is getting sacked on my word. But still If we miss out on top 4 by a couple of points, everyone in this fucking place will be thinking back to this game and that play.

The only reason why I am this worked up over it is because I firmly believe that this season's outcome will be extremely influential in allowing us to continue our progression as a PL force.

Does everyone agree that this is the most competitive PL season in PL history?

Does anyone agree with me that getting into the CL will actually allow us to sign our coveted transfer targets?

Who doesn't believe that missing out on top 4 means Suarez is gone?

Well in my opinion, if we miss out on top 4 we will be fighting an uphill battle for years to come as the other clubs who already benefit from CL revenue as well as deeper pockets will continue to steal our transfer targets shamelessly because they know that the promising young stars in Europe want to play on the biggest stage.

Chelsea has stolen two of our targets after we laid all the ground work. Dortmund did the same.

We have been bitch-slapped 3 times this season already in the transfer market.

They clearly aren't going to chelsea for the history or tradition. They went because they have CL football.

I have a tremendous fear that without CL football we will stall out in 5th or 6th place because we can't get the players we need to compete over the PL season.

Conversely, if we get CL football we will finally be in a position where our reputation and tradition will be an obvious transfer destination for players who want to be in the CL but also want to be a part of a storied tradition of excellence and play for one of Europe's all time greatest clubs.

I really struggle to see a middle ground in this. CL football is the key to our return to the PL crown.

Yesterday, if we played smarter we could have capitalized on the fuckups of the others. Instead we let Everton gain 2 points on us. And it was all do to an incredibly foolish play that is product of nothing else except lapse in focus and concentration. Something a 10+ year PL veteran should have eradicated since those types of mental errors at CB are catastrophic.

I really can't get over it. I do not understand how that pass ever even crossed his mind as a possibility when there were 3 WBA players pressing the backline. It's just so fucking stupid.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1431 on: February 3, 2014, 06:17:49 am »
In all honesty, I would seriously consider releasing Kolo Toure immediately.
Here me out.
cause I think he is definitely a good back up CB.
This feeling is based purely on that one single pass.
Your reasoning is like saying experienced pros shouldn't make such mistakes and we should get rid if they do. Then you say he's a good back up?? Well what is it? He's either good enough or he isn't!

Point 1: WE ARE IN A DOGFIGHT FOR 4TH PLACE
POINT 2: We had a chance to put some distance between us and our competition
POINT 3: THIS SEASON IS TREMENDOUSLY CRUCIAL TO OUR RETURN TO PL CONTENDERS

None of these points has anything to do with his poor pass. These are irrelevant points to justify releasing him.

At the moment, we will never beat City to a transfer target. They have CL and we do not. Once we get top 4 and are reaffirmed as among Europe's Elite clubs then our history and titles will become a major factor.

its how fucking naive and oblivious he was in committing it.

Hypocritical much?? On the one hand the history of a club is completely irrelevant and on the other hand once a club is in the CL it's much more relevant?? Man Utd likely won't get 4th or a CL spot, do you really think for a second that players would be reluctant to go to one of the most famous clubs in modern football history just because of one season??  If you think that Man City has better pulling power simply because they offer CL football and we don't then you are completely deluded. They have spent close to £200m on players and offer astronomical wages. Our policy and wage structure is different. That has a big deal to do with recruitment. That money didn't just come CL football.

Kolo Toure has to be aware of just how crucial 4th place is to our revitalization as a PL power. Also, he is a back up CB who we bought for his experience and leadership so that we can have a veteran presence who has title-winning experience and can help guide our younger players in how to move and react to the up and downs of a PL season.

He fulfils these expectations. We have significant injuries and he's deputised well. You'll note that we kept a clean sheet against Everton. In other circumstances he would not have started. Still not a reason to get rid. We'd have been playing Martin Kelly at CB then.

He is the CB we rely on to step up and put in a performance when our Starters are out injured or suspended. And instead he steps in and costs us the game with such an incredibly careless and preposterous error.
You make it sound like it was intentional. Mistakes happen. He had a bad game capped off by a howler. Keepers drop howlers, strikers miss open goals. Perhaps we should have let Joe Allen go after his glaring miss in the first derby game??

At halftime, one would imagine that Rodgers stressed the importance of ball security and made sure that we didn't fuck around in our own half.

If it is so obvious then why would a manager need to tell a bunch of experienced pros this? What if he didn't say it? Should we sack BR for poor team talks and not stating obvious facts?

How the fuck can a player of his experience who has won PL titles with two different teams, and understands just how fine the margins are between 4th and 5th place, can shut off so completely in such an important match and commit an error that school children would get yelled at for.

It happens. I work in a very high intensity field where peoples lives are at stake. I'd argue much more important and stressful than a football game. Even the very best intentioned, well trained professionals make errors that have significant consequences. But you don't go around firing everyone because of a mistake.

Furthermore, if your idea of education is yelling at school boys then in afraid you live in the wrong century. Those days are gone - people don't learn by being abused, ridiculed and shouted at. They learn by taking them aside and pointing out their errors and deconstructing them and working on things that contributed, and then putting what they've learnt into practise so good habits are formed.

I'm sorry for the equally long post but this is exactly the reactionary emotional nonsensical vitriol that we should try to avoid. I think I've highlighted exactly what makes it the most bizarre, hypocritical and lacking perspective post that I've ever read. Congratulations on that dubious distinction but please have a word with yourself.

Offline Henderson Our Hero

• Founding Member of the Claire Rourke Fan Club - Swedish Branch (vi håller ögonen på dig....)
  • Kopite
  • This is Jordan
« Reply #1432 on: February 3, 2014, 06:31:06 am »
Once we have our best team on the pitch, which includes Johnson, Enrique and Sakho we'll be okay

Flanno is, to be honest, better then Johnson now.

And I am sorry to say, but keep them all on hte pitch for 2-3 games this season wont be enough I am afraid.
But I hope it will be.

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1433 on: February 3, 2014, 06:31:41 am »
Also, no offense taken.

I had a general idea of how that post would be received. But I chose to express it anyway because I wanted to vent.

I still think he should be fined. He absolutely let the team down.

Without that bullshit, we come away with 3 points. It gave them a spark and completely deflated us. It changed the whole complexion of the match and we could have easily lost it in the end.

It is beyond infuriating.

I have never been this irate after a loss. WBA did absolutely nothing to get a point, and we went ahead and gift-wrapped them a goal.

Who really thinks we can afford to do shit like that at all this season?

I can't think of a worse way to concede a goal short of actually walking the ball into our own net.

But like I said, if we miss out on CL places by a 1 or 2 points, EVERYONE will look back at this match as the reason.

This CL race is gonna come down to the wire and we had golden chance to give ourselves some breathing room.

As I have expressed before, I think this season has a tremendous impact on where we will be in 5 years time and so a mistake like that isn't just an isolated incident in a vacuum. It could potentially have huge ramifications.

So yea, I'm a furious with Toure and his beyond idiotic decision that cost us this game.

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #1434 on: February 3, 2014, 06:35:03 am »

Too true. West Brom were so poor and there for the taking. Nearly all of our attacking talent didn't perform, and we held them defensively other than one mistake.

My main issue was our lack of possession and we weren't clinical enough going forward. If just one or two of our attackers were on form we would've had three before Toure even made his mistake.

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1435 on: February 3, 2014, 06:39:52 am »
2 very disappointing draws in 3 games, and on another day the match against Stoke could have gone against us too.

What day would that be? The day Stoke City score 6 goals against us?

On a positive note, Gerrard had another solid game in the defensive midfield position.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1436 on: February 3, 2014, 06:43:01 am »
I still think he should be fined. He absolutely let the team down.

Who really thinks we can afford to do shit like that at all this season?

I can't think of a worse way to concede a goal short of actually walking the ball into our own net.

But like I said, if we miss out on CL places by a 1 or 2 points, EVERYONE will look back at this match as the reason.

Fundamentally you don't seem to understand how mistakes occur. We fine players for intentional actions that brings down the club e.g. saying disrespectful things, poor conduct, violent behaviour etc. punishing people for making split second errors in a game doesn't actually reduce their error. If anything it just makes them more nervous and likely to make more errors.

Were in 4th place. Toure hasn't been giving away howlers all season. This was one game.

Walking the ball into your own net would be intentional. Toure made an error of judgement which was compounded by poor technique. He had a moment to make a decision and he chose the wrong option - it's not the same as just kicking the ball into your own goal. If Anichebe had missed, or Mignolet had saved it then you'd not have said anything I'll bet.

You might look at this game as the reason, but most fans will appreciate that there have been opportunities to collect points all season long. They'll look at the poor refereeing that cost us points at city, Allen's mss in the derby and other errors that have occurred. They'll also recognize that hindsight has very little use unless you utilize it to make decisions about the future. Merely dwelling in missed points is a waste of time. We don't know how things will turn out. I still think we'll get 4th. We got a point against a tough team at a tough venue on a broken up pitch. That's not bad. We could've had three, but it didn't work out that way. Too bad. Work hard on the mistakes and walk on.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1437 on: February 3, 2014, 06:57:02 am »
I have never been this irate after a loss.

I'm not surprised you're irate thinking we lost.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #1438 on: February 3, 2014, 07:06:20 am »

WBA were terrible all game.

Offline Resurrected

• No longer active on the forum.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1439 on: February 3, 2014, 07:24:22 am »
A bit disappointing yesterday but it's another point towards our target against a team that has upset us a few times recently.

I thought we were quite bright in the first half. True, they had a lot of possession but most of the class play was coming from us. I noticed that Coutinho was being denied space and time on the ball and thought that Allen should have come on at half-time.

Second half, they changed tactics and we had difficulty in dealing with it. It was only when BR brought Allen on that we started to compete again. It's further comfirmation that we need to play with 3 proper midfielders and not a player who is better in an attacking capacity. Against WBA, he was never going to have a great influence as their team always seems packed with DM's who sit in front of the back 4.

Their goal was a bit of a howler on Toure's part but shit happens. Hopefully, it will steel his determination when we come up against Arsenal. We've played better and lost and our season won't be defined by this one game. Time to re-focus and concentrate on our next game.