Author Topic: The John W Henry Interview - Part One  (Read 221565 times)

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The John W Henry Interview - Part One
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2010, 09:26:08 am »
Thanks to Smithdown Andy for helping this get done. Decent replies so far.

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2010, 09:28:17 am »
I'm hugely impressed with Mr.Henry's openness and willingness to communicate with the fans so soon after the takeover.

Likewise, it's very refreshing to see someone who actually appears to understand what we want! I know you can have the opposite - i.e. someone who talks too much, but Mr Henry does seems smart and know when to open his mouth. He doesn't give away too much in his answers, but he says enough to satisfy the question asked of him.

It's just amazing to see such a complete change in the attitude at the top compared to our previous owners. Don't get me wrong, NESV will obviously be judged on what happens during their ownership but for the present they certainly are making all the right noises and couldn't have started any better.

Oh, and very well done lads on the questions and getting a communications channel with Mr Henry!

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2010, 09:38:52 am »
Well done boys. Hopefully this is a sign of his openness and willingness to consult with organised groups of supporters.

The answer to question 8 is interesting. Clearly they see the real fight starting when the new financial rules are brought in. The accent on developing youth as part of a sustainable model for the future is welcome. Although one obviously then needs a manager amenable to giving young players their chance.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline casey

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
    • HOME OF THE EXILED-SCOUSER
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2010, 09:44:38 am »
So far so good.  Waiting to see what the future holds.
You won't get me flicking on a (football) phone in.  I'd rather listen to a game of chess on the radio.  Phone ins are a platform for idiots.

Offline Coady

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2010, 09:55:41 am »
Good read that, cheers VDM.
"When you hear the noise of the Bill Shankly boys,
We'll be coming down the road"

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2010, 09:56:44 am »
That was an insightful post and first I have heard people from any other fans organisation since SOS communicating with the owner. Interesting to witness NESV creating dialogue between them selves and the fans.

Look forward to the second part.

Unfortunately I am not as intelligent to understand the need for credit. The answers given has me wondering what is NESV's ultimate plans for the club. It will be interesting to witness if they can transform the club into a dominant force on and off the pitch.

Offline keeby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • turned down the job of katie perrys fluffer.....
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2010, 10:16:06 am »
I like the way that he seems to quietly go about his buisness and not make rash promises answering what would seem be in an honest manner.  Looking forward to seeing who,s going to be the next chief exec and hopefully getting it right from the very top.
was on blankety blank once and came second.........

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2010, 10:20:36 am »
Great work and thanks for getting this info from our owner(s) fellahs - interesting read and encouraging for the future.

Don't know what I take most pleasure in, this or the previous owners final squirming lying interview.
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2010, 10:27:48 am »
great work guys, thanks for that
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2010, 10:38:24 am »
A complete breath of fresh of fresh air is blowing through Anfield these days and it's great. Let's keep giving john Henry our full support to allow the culture change at board level to succeed. Success on the pitch will be a natural follower.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2010, 10:44:17 am »
Thankyou to those involved in setting the questions and sending the questions, and a thankyou to John W. Henry for answering them.

I love this seemingly zen like calm that NESV are bringing to the club, a far cry from the spin and bluster we were used to these last 3 years. Lets hope it continues this way and spreads throughout the club and to the fans as well (myself included :) )

Offline essjay

• Main Stander
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2010, 10:47:09 am »
Thinking about this tax distribution....

Could it be a case where we have 17 people spending £17.65 million each to buy a club. Can this £17.65m be written off against their other tax? I.E. These guys most likely have huge incomes and probably pay huge taxes. Therefore if they owe £50 million in tax for the year ending 2010, can they write off £17.65m of it as they have not made a profit.

Maybe not, but surely it would go against their profits (and not against their tax) and they they'd pay less tax anyway. These boys are smart, I'd guarantee they are somehow writing off the investment somewhere for tax purposes.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 10:49:34 am by essjay »

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2010, 10:59:38 am »
A good read guys. Well done for acting professionally and giving us all the opportunity to get an insight, and well done to the guys who contributed the questions. And kudos to John Henry for taking the time out of his schedule to answer honestly and to interact with the fans. I'm looking forward to the next round.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline singoutoftune

• Boys Pen
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2010, 11:27:03 am »
 Great work getting this interview. Interestingly Mr Henry usually keeps a low profile with regards to other NESV teams. But with Liverpool he seems to be at the forefront. I am getting to like the bloke the more I learn about him. Here's to a succesful future for us all at this great Club. Looking forward to more questions answered in the future .  :)

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2010, 11:35:23 am »
I have my reservations about NESV, nearly all of which relate to the unknown.

However I have to say that those answers were first class.

The Club under P&M stagnated in cosy inertia, the Club under G&H fractured under hopeless ownership. I suspect we may still be in for some pain. The Managerial situation will need to settle down, one way or another. The retention/sale of Torres combined with NESV's preparedness to finance squad improvement in the short term also needs to be gripped. But those answers have shifted my view from a neutral sceptic, to a cautious optimist.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 02:12:30 pm by xerxes1 »
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline PaisleyPrint

• Believer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2010, 11:35:40 am »
Not sure about John Henry engaging with the supporters on a ridiculous webiste.  What's wrong with doing a cheesey interview on SSN, log fire blazing, holding a LFC cup?  Standards are slipping for sure.  ;)

Well done VdM, SA & all who contributed.

Offline Coady

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2010, 11:41:42 am »
Any ideas what he means by this?

We view stadiums as separate from clubs.  They are separate entities.

"When you hear the noise of the Bill Shankly boys,
We'll be coming down the road"

Offline Ray Clemence

• Main Stander
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2010, 11:45:43 am »

Wow .... It is beginning to slowly sink in: We really do have new owners, don't we?

Great work from the guys who put this together.

And no matter if it is Henry himself or some assistant doing the answers, it is a sign of openness and respect towards the fanbase, that they have taken the time to give some good answers.
* * *    Perpetrator of ridiculous Internet rumours   * * *

Offline glenfix

• Main Stander
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2010, 11:45:50 am »
Many thanks to everyone who played a part in this and especial thanks to JWH for taking the time.
I was very interested to read about the accent on youth policy. In this regard I feel we are particularly lucky to have Rodolfo Borrell at Kirkby, being the man who developed Messrs Iniesta and Messi amongst others at barca. He stated in an interview this week that LFC have not got any youngsters of that quality, but undoubtedly our under 18's are in a better state than in recent years. (Recent losses have been due to the fact that we suffer so badly from international call-ups).
I would back NESV if they were to come down on the side of redeveloping Anfield. I am sure that if Anfield Road could be diverted into Stanley Park or a new AnfieldRoad End stand could span across Annie Road allowing it to pass through tunnel-fashion, a major increase in capacity could be accommodated.
Anyway, look forward to the concluding  segment of the Q&A session.
there's a golden sky

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2010, 11:52:12 am »

I think it means that the stadium will pay for itself, it's finances will be kept completely seperate from the club and that any revenue the stadium generates will go towards paying it off without impacting on the clubs finances. Say the club makes a £50m profit every year (hypothetical), then that £50m stays with the club and doesn't go towards paying the stadium debt off. Then say the stadium makes a £30m profit for the year, all that money goes towards paying the stadium debt off without going into the club. When the stadium is paid off, that £30m profit will go into the club.

I may be wrong, but the financial whizzes will tell you that if I am.

Offline wembley78

• Main Stander
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2010, 11:55:37 am »

Believe he is talking about the financial side of the operations.  The club has it's own financial structure and any new stadium/redevelopment must be weighed up independently from the clubs finances.  That way if any debt is accrued for a stadium it is not leveraged against the club but against future extra revenue from the stadium.  Similar to the operation at Arsenal.

I may be wrong but that's my take on it

Offline caronia

• Main Stander
  • SOS Membership Number:7348
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2010, 12:16:42 pm »
I think we should give credit where credit is due to Martin Broughton. He acted totally professionally.
I'm still tickled that H+G accepted his appointment assuming he would do right by them but by default ended up being shafted because he did right by LFC.
I know the word legend is bandied about a lot, but we may look back in a few years time and realise that he is a Liverpool Legend.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 12:19:09 pm by caronia »

Offline Jez666

• Anny Roader
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2010, 12:19:30 pm »
Fantastic, thank you to all who made this possible and especially to Mr JW Henry for agreeing to answer the questions and making an effort in his busy schedule to think about us.

I might be slightly depressed about our season so far but I do have faith in our owners, we have to have faith in them as they are the only ones that ca turn things around off the pitch.

Offline driftinwest

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone.
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2010, 12:23:20 pm »
I think we should give credit where credit is due to Martin Broughton. He acted totally professionally.
I'm still tickled that H+G accepted his appointment assuming he would do right by them but by default ended up being shafted because he did right by LFC.
I know the word legend is bandied about a lot, but we may look back in a few years time and realise that he is a Liverpool Legend.
RBS appointed Broughton on condition they(G+H) didn't interfere with any sale process, he was never in G+H camp.
If my assistant had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Patr Cheh. he beeped me to signal the foul. The noise from the crowd  stopped me hearing it, I have been involved at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Old Trafford, Arsenal, but I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. IT WAS INCREDIBLE

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2010, 12:29:39 pm »
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2010, 12:32:46 pm »
This is no slight on Mr Henry or NESV, but I find it staggering that theres no contractual obligations stopping them from at some point in the future, loading the aquisition debt back onto the club.

I'm not sure legally how you could do it. You could ask it went into the articles of association, but the board could always change those back later. You could have it in the sales contract, but there was pressure on RBS to get it sold and Hicks and Gillett wouldn't have given a shite. I'm not sure you could hold them to it even if it had gone in the sales contract.

Maybe someone with a better legal mind than mine can come up with something.

Until parliament step in, on the advice of the FA, with some kind of specific law relating to football clubs, football is going to be wide open to Portsmouth, Hicks and Gillett, Glazer style shennanigans. As it stands, the law fails to recognise the input, both financial cultural and historical of supporters. It's something I strongly feel should change but I can't see the current FA doing anything other than sweet fa.

Offline caronia

• Main Stander
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2010, 12:43:22 pm »
RBS appointed Broughton on condition they(G+H) didn't interfere with any sale process, he was never in G+H camp.
What I mean by that is he could have just gone out looking for a 'Sugar Daddy' sold the club to them, and fulfilled his brief ...job done . H+G would have been happy and the banks would have got their money back .However,he didn't just look for a buyer he seems to have acted in the best interests of the club and found the best buyer for us;an organisation with forsight who yes,want to make money but who have an eye to the future. I'm really hopeful that NESV's unique approach might be very beneficial to us in the coming years and might even be food for thought for the rest of the EPL.For that I'm grateful to Martin Broughton.

Offline thom

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2010, 12:51:03 pm »
Great work guys and thanks for posting. I really enjoyed reading this.

Offline Doc Evil

• PunjabEvo - "Goin' Madrid lad? Gorranyspares?"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kelvin McKenzie is a c*nt. SOS 7175
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2010, 12:56:27 pm »
Brilliant thanks lads, a good read and seems an honest sort. The words seem promising without being overly optimistic - which is fine by me at this stage. I do think that we had a relatively decent Academy under Rafa with more talent being brought in, but agree that it's probably not as good as the likes of Arsenal, and not as productive as ManU but think there is some great talent there and it's just not getting showcased.

Let's see what the future holds and in the meantime thanks and kudos to all those that got this moving.
"You going to Madrid lad? Gorrany spares?"

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2010, 01:01:54 pm »
Great effort by all involved, many thanks.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Keens

• Kopite
  • Thanks for the memories Rafa!
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2010, 01:06:28 pm »
A positive step forward, as long as the owners stay true to their beliefs and plans, we will move forward...
"I think I have said it before, but there is no one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club....." - Kenny Dalglish

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2010, 01:07:51 pm »
What I mean by that is he could have just gone out looking for a 'Sugar Daddy' sold the club to them, and fulfilled his brief ...job done . H+G would have been happy and the banks would have got their money back .However,he didn't just look for a buyer he seems to have acted in the best interests of the club and found the best buyer for us;an organisation with forsight who yes,want to make money but who have an eye to the future. I'm really hopeful that NESV's unique approach might be very beneficial to us in the coming years and might even be food for thought for the rest of the EPL.For that I'm grateful to Martin Broughton.

Yep we could have been sold to Peter Lim and up shit creek again in a couple of years. Broughton went out of his way to invite proper custodians this time around to take over the club.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline silver 5 star

• Mistter Gramatticle. Heell corecct you're spelinng mistaikes
  • Legacy Fan
  • BUILD A NEW STADIUM - NO GROUNDSHARE!!!
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2010, 01:11:19 pm »
After the tenure of H and G I am still wary of any new owners. NESV have done well so far but they have a big job on. They have been left a problem in terms of the manager. Let's be honest, in more stable times he would be gone already. The takeover has saved him. NESV's mantra about success on the pitch being paramount is both what we want to hear and also the obvious way to truly maximise revenues.

On top of the on the pitch requirements, new long-term managerial appointment, re-vamp of the squad, they also need to sort the stadium issue out very quickly.

We need either a new stadium or an expanded Anfield to truly compete with our rivals. As much as our city fathers keep pressing for a "solution" to the stadium / regeneration issue ( and refuse to take groundshare off the table ) the principal issue is the right decision is made for US. Liverpool FC and its' supporters. No one else.

Manager, players in (and out), stadium solution, revenue generation.

Lots for them to sort out and they need to prove to the supporters that they have the single- mindedness and desire to address all of these issues ASAP.

This is a real opportunity for NESV. Do this right and we can conquer the world. Not something, with all due respects to the Red Sox, that they can accomplish with US centric baseball.
Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate; "To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the  ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. " FENWAY - Do not let us down! RAWK is boss lid

Offline Purple Aki Fitness Club

• Main Stander
  • Student Discounts Available!
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2010, 01:21:39 pm »
This is no slight on Mr Henry or NESV, but I find it staggering that theres no contractual obligations stopping them from at some point in the future, loading the aquisition debt back onto the club.
that worries me greatly also, as well as his admittance that perception of massive debt is different in the US

Online In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2010, 01:21:46 pm »

Was thinking the same. A bit scepticism....
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2010, 01:32:23 pm »
I am greatly heartened by the sense of quiet, professional dignity that is beginning to return to our club. Mr Henry sets a marvellous example.

Well done VdM for representing our thoughts and questions so well - and thank you Mr Henry for answering them carefully where possible. I have a sense of where we are going and it makes me glow with hope. I do not think it will be long before we are glowing with pride at returning to the summit of the game. My mother (who nursed me into this deep love of Liverpool from birth) always told me that the greatness of the club wasn't that it was so successful, but that it treated that success with a quiet dignity. This was epitomised by Mr Shankly and that simply, yet so eloquent sign: This is Anfield.

True winners, she said, need not boast - they simply do.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline eitzel

• ong way to Tipperary
  • Legacy Fan
  • Didnt even know Probe had moved
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2010, 01:37:08 pm »
Well done to all concerned.

If these lines of communication become established it would be a massive achievement.
'An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. '

Offline caronia

• Main Stander
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2010, 01:38:29 pm »
They have been left a problem in terms of the manager. Let's be honest, in more stable times he would be gone already.

Although we see Hodgson as a BIG problem, I don't think NESV do. They will methodically look at his tactics,man management and his ability to verbalise his views and eventually poor old Roy will be hoist by his own petard!

Offline caronia

• Main Stander
« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2010, 01:40:13 pm »
that worries me greatly also, as well as his admittance that perception of massive debt is different in the US

Did he say 'massive' debt or debt. I think in business it is perceived as useful to have a certain amount of debt.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2010, 01:40:23 pm »
I think the question of debt is an important one as we will need to borrow to build the stadium. The stadium once built will require a corporate name and host events other than football if we want to ensure that the debt burden doesn't impact on the team.

Arsenal borrowed significant money and had to be careful in the transfer market and it has affected their short term success on the pitch, but as a club they are probably best positioned for long term success.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.