Author Topic: Ricardo Quaresma - A Deeper soul  (Read 29295 times)

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
Ricardo Quaresma - A Deeper soul
« on: July 23, 2008, 01:37:10 am »
July 2008

got this from YNWA

Alberto de Silva, Bola

Alberto de Silva: Ricardo, the nations still depressed (re: Euro 2008)

Quaresma: Yes, I am aware, but these things happen in football, we must just look at the issues and put them right for the world cup.

Alberto de Silva: Was it anything in particular, anything you could have changed if you were on the pitch?

Quaresma: No, I don’t think so. I think this year had allotted of very strong teams and this perhaps took us back.

Alberto de Silva: You weren't prepared?

Quaresma: No, I didn't say that, I just think this was a particularly tough tournament with some very exciting teams

Alberto de Silva: Was it anything to do with Scolari already stating he was going? Or perhaps your friend Ronaldo's choice of club?

Quaresma: No, I wouldn't say either effected us in any real way, we heard things, and we knew things were happening but neither could be the reason why we failed.

Alberto de Silva: Did Christiano ever talk to you about his future? Did he put pressure on players to help him out at all?

Quaresma: He did talk to me, we spoke about many things but his business is his business and we view our profession in a slightly different light.

Alberto de Silva: Ronaldo is seen as the more enthusiastic, your more into designer gear and partying aren't you?

Quaresma: Not at all, I don’t understand why you and half the world seem to see me in this light, I very rarely go out 'clubbing' or 'partying' I just like to have a good time as I have worked hard my whole life to afford this lifestyle.

Alberto de Silva: But whilst your friend is out there winning the Premier League title and the European cup, you have done very little to move, you seem happy to play in Portugal and not test yourself, you seem determined not to venture. Look at your time in Barca, you were pushed out very quickly there because you simply weren't interested were you?

Quaresma: Look (with very miserable expression) I am tired, I am tired of Christiano being some kind of benchmark for me, I am tired of people saying I’m not ambitious. I did try very hard at Barca but it didn't work out, simple really, sometimes no matter how hard you try, you just can’t win.

Alberto de Silva: So why is it three months ago you said you were leaving, why is it you made it publicly clear that you were gone, but somehow you still sit here, on your own with your feet up watching cartoons?

Quaresma: I only stayed in to have this discussion with you. I am here because the right offer has not come up.

Alberto de Silva: Not enough money?

Quaresma: Your very good at twisting my words. Not about money, it's about making the right choice; I don’t want to end up in the situation I was in before (Re: Barcelona)

Alberto de Silva: You had some very big clubs after you last season, why not of moved then?

Quaresma: I wanted to say good-bye properly. I wanted to make people happy.

Alberto de Silva: You could've made people happy moving last year, you are a very exciting talent who could've made a name for himself, like Christiano, Instead your price tag has dropped and your desirability has fallen, maybe due to the bad attention you get for perhaps 'play acting'

Quaresma: You seem very interested in Christiano, I think you feel I am jealous of him

Alberto de Silva: You are though aren’t you?

Quaresma: No, that is why I am still here, because I don’t need to prove myself, as you said, last summer I had huge clubs after me, two in particular but I wanted to help FC Porto.

Alberto de Silva: I heard an English club had discussions with you, before rejecting you.

Quaresma: You must be talking about Liverpool? Well yes their representative came to me, and we spoke. They did not reject me, I believe they wanted to kind of change my role; they wanted me to be less expressive on the pitch and be more aggressive.

Alberto de Silva: What is wrong with that, after all most clubs would want to see you doing less of the tricks and more of the work. Scolari didn't like it that is why you upset him in Switzerland.

Quaresma: I didn't upset him, I just tried something different and it didn't work. If Liverpool had come to me and said they wanted me to be me, I would've moved, they are doing something special and their fans are incredible, I know of no other team with fans who care so much. I remember Fernando Torres scoring against us and the noise was defening. They were incredible.

Alberto de Silva: So have they approached this summer, perhaps with different views?

Quaresma: I cannot comment, many clubs have spoken to my agent and me.

Alberto de Silva: Not Chelsea though, Scolari doesn’t believe in you.

Quaresma: Perhaps not, but I believe in myself and many clubs do. I like the Premier League to watch, very fast paced and games change quickly.

Alberto de Silva: Would be great for you to actually summon up the effort to take that league on then.

Quaresma: Perhaps. We will see.

sorry if this has already been posted
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 01:49:48 am by stevensr123 »
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
Re: Ricardo Quaresma - A Deeper soul
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 01:39:42 am »
Something like Luis Garcia then? Sign him now!
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 01:39:53 am »
:o
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline Milly B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 01:41:18 am »
Yee Haw and we're off........   ;D

Offline flabby

• Kopite
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 01:43:09 am »
ah god I got excited there for a minute

I'll take that as a no.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 01:44:52 am »
Wow.. that interviewer is he ultimate twat.

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 01:45:42 am »
Interesting.
I do know/rember we we're monitoring at a game/time when the scouts were watching Rafinha.
No pressure though Ricardo. Jeez.

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 01:47:25 am »
That reporter is a pain in the ass why didnt he just interview ronaldo all he did was talk about him during the whole interview.

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 01:48:49 am »
Some of the Iberian interviewers are quite tough, aren't they?  I remember a Spanish interview a while ago (Nando, maybe?) where the interviewer was being negative and twisted words the whole time.

Regarding Quaresma, he's not a great team player and this interview confirms that he still wants things his way.  But Rafa can make him listen...

Don't think it'll happen but we probably are still interested but have Barry and Keane to take care of first.
King Kenny.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Leader of the Maryland Vigilante Child Army. Mayor of Twerpville. Population 2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 01:49:53 am »
i would have punched that guy in the face what was he trying to get on at there?

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 01:54:08 am »
Some of the Iberian interviewers are quite tough, aren't they?  I remember a Spanish interview a while ago (Nando, maybe?) where the interviewer was being negative and twisted words the whole time.
I think it was Nando but he managed to answer them professionally.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 02:13:12 am »
He comes across ok in that interview

Offline Billy Stevo

• Main Stander
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 02:17:49 am »
Is the interviewer on leave from Guantenamo Bay

Offline kingjari

• But you can call me Off the Pitch. Or donut.
  • Legacy Fan
  • It is our RIGHT, our DUTY to throw off such owners
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 02:50:55 am »
Very Interesting, fair play Queresma comes across well in that interview, the interviewer comes across as a twat.

Still Harry Potter won't be arriving this summer though.
SIR Bill Shankly:
"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Spirit Of Shankly- JFT96

Con el Socio, todo ; sin el socio, nada

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html-  join online

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 03:38:48 am »
Hmmm

Would rather this than Barry.

According to my adding up skills, and the likelihood of Voronin Itandje and Pennant leaving if Ngog, Keane and Quaresma came. Our selling of players would net us about £30m. We've already spent about £10m, so I'm guessing we could get away with that for our squad for a net spend of about £15-20m, which isn't too shabby.

Even so, he's a bit of a livewire, and am unsure he'd deliver on a consistent basis.
hi

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 03:47:54 am »

I remember that one. Didn't ASF or one of the other Spanish lads mention that he was an Atleti fan who was a bit bitter that Nando had left?

Agreed though, there seem to be more "hard line" interviews in the Spanish press than you would read from their English equivalents.  I do quite like a reporter who's happy to ask the hard question, but a couple of those come across quite petty.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:49:56 am by leroy »

Offline Moldyman

• Heart and soul, one will burn.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 03:49:41 am »
That interviewer needed a slap.

Offline Kingsley (Ned) Zissou

• Anny Roader
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 04:05:40 am »
Would rather this than Barry.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 04:15:57 am »
Personally I thought the interviewer was excellent, much better than the shite that gets trotted out on the Beeb, or worse still the stuff that is supposed to be cutting edge and confrontational on Sky. 

At least he is expressing what is largely bandied around directly to the player - whether the interviewer believes it or not isn't the point - and giving the player the opportunity to answer the questions and accusatins directly.  No molly coddling, or cosying up and fawning like you tend to get in the UK.

And the player is an adult, and should be able to answer the questions put straight to him.  If he doesn't like the questions, then say so.
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline doles

• Main Stander
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 04:25:15 am »
sssshhhhh....dont mention the "q" word around here....let alone start a whole thread about him...............quick,follow me, we havent got long......shh...thread carefully...ssshh
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 04:31:27 am by doles »

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 04:25:46 am »
Quaresma came across as selfish and lazy and the interviewer came across as a twat. Was a funny interview though.

To sum up:

Interviewer: Why do you suck so much?
Quaresma: I don't suck, i try really hard.
Interviewer: You really do suck though right?
Quaresma: Im happy with myself
Interviewer: Try not to suck so much in the future.
Quaresma: ok...
http://redsacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline RedSandgrounder

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 04:35:40 am »
Gah, I really do want him, but if that's his attitude.

As a top class proffessional footballer, you should be willing to adapt and improve your game. Look at how it has helped Fernando, was at Atleti, asked to be the link between midfield and attack, and did fairly well. Came here, and taught to play off the shoulder, and he became the possibly the best striker in the world.

Quaresma, fairly pacey, can create something out of nothing to win a game, a fantastic crosser, knows every trick in the book. If he learnt to track back and help out, and become more "aggressive" and show off less, then he could become one of the best wingers in the world.

I just wish he'd have trusted Rafa and let him help him improve, rather than being a cock.
PSN: DHitchers

Offline LFCsnoopz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 04:41:31 am »

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 05:55:47 am »
I have to say I absolutely adore these Iberian interviewers, they ask tough questions and don't pussy out of it giving a bland interview but what they also do is print the whole thing in full context.

So what if he was being a twat to Quaresma, it's given a real insight into what the lad is really like and not the hyperbole and rhetoric that other media sources have painted him as.

I wish all interviews were like this, you'd get a fuck of a lot more out of them. My main doubt about this lad is his attitude. This is borne of hearing he wouldn't want to come to England because of the weather and that he's lazy. The latter may be true as he obviously wasn't prepared to change his style of play to a more team oriented role, perhaps he likes being the star but appears the perception of him as only going somewhere with a mediterranian climate is way off the mark.

Very good interview. Sorry to against the grain but I think this interviewer should be applauded.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 06:32:07 am »
I have to say I absolutely adore these Iberian interviewers, they ask tough questions and don't pussy out of it giving a bland interview but what they also do is print the whole thing in full context.

So what if he was being a twat to Quaresma, it's given a real insight into what the lad is really like and not the hyperbole and rhetoric that other media sources have painted him as.

I wish all interviews were like this, you'd get a fuck of a lot more out of them. My main doubt about this lad is his attitude. This is borne of hearing he wouldn't want to come to England because of the weather and that he's lazy. The latter may be true as he obviously wasn't prepared to change his style of play to a more team oriented role, perhaps he likes being the star but appears the perception of him as only going somewhere with a mediterranian climate is way off the mark.

Very good interview. Sorry to against the grain but I think this interviewer should be applauded.

I wholeheartedly agree. Dunno why he's getting a hard time for getting the answers he wanted out of Ricardo by taking the hard line of questioning. Makes for a much more interesting and informative interview.

Shame he couldn't change his style. That in itself confirms what many have thought about him ie. He's a lazy twat!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Xabier Alonso Olano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 07:05:58 am »
That's the first time I have ever seen Quaresma defending.

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 07:37:43 am »

It was a shocking interview but you do raise some interesting points.  :)

Offline kunaldua

• Main Stander
  • Red Indian
    • Laziness, Impatience, Hubris.
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 07:54:29 am »
That's the first time I have ever seen Quaresma defending.

;)
Real time text (SMS) "in-game" updates for all Liverpool Games. For Free. Premier League and Champions League both.

All other EPL teams too. Spread the word!

Offline Macedonian_Red

• NewsNow. Actually much later. And then probably wrong.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 07:56:01 am »

Alberto de Silva: I heard an English club had discussions with you, before rejecting you.

Quaresma: You must be talking about Liverpool? Well yes their representative came to me, and we spoke. They did not reject me, I believe they wanted to kind of change my role; they wanted me to be less expressive on the pitch and be more aggressive.

Alberto de Silva: What is wrong with that, after all most clubs would want to see you doing less of the tricks and more of the work. Scolari didn't like it that is why you upset him in Switzerland.

Quaresma: I didn't upset him, I just tried something different and it didn't work. If Liverpool had come to me and said they wanted me to be me, I would've moved, they are doing something special and their fans are incredible, I know of no other team with fans who care so much. I remember Fernando Torres scoring against us and the noise was defening. They were incredible.

Alberto de Silva: So have they approached this summer, perhaps with different views?

Quaresma: I cannot comment, many clubs have spoken to my agent and me.

That only confirms what has been rumored for a long time ... We were interested in Quaresma, but the problem was with his attitude ... Not a surprise, really ...

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 08:03:48 am »

Great stuff - finally, an Interviewer with balls that doesn't suck up to a player, fantastic interview!

PS - if he is available sub £15 Million, worth a punt I reckon!

PPS - hope Kaizer doesn't see this thread!!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 08:06:20 am by NatD »
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline Jonny J

• RAWK Kit Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • it's cyclical
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 08:06:36 am »
Great bit of journo work I reckon - a bit of pressure on is good to see.
I would love to see someone taking Ferguson out like that. Would love it. Spit and specks everywhere whilst his big ol whisky nose just got redder and redder...

Offline LUCASzade

• Main Stander
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 08:19:52 am »

IF only the press in this country had the balls to interview the likes of Slur Taggart whith that method of journalism

They would finally go some way to earning thje silly money they are paid

I am sick and tired of "Yes Sir Alex, no Sir Alex, 3 bags full Sir Alex"

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 08:22:42 am »
I would love to see someone taking Ferguson out like that. Would love it. Spit and specks everywhere whilst his big ol whisky nose just got redder and redder...
IF only the press in this country had the balls to interview the likes of Slur Taggart whith that method of journalism

They would finally go some way to earning thje silly money they are paid

I am sick and tired of "Yes Sir Alex, no Sir Alex, 3 bags full Sir Alex"

Sadly Whiskynose would walk out of the interview instead of taking it on the chin like Quaresma.  I can see him puffing up at the first hostile question, going red in the face and then tearing off his mic and throwing it on the ground while stamping off.

Then the broadcaster will be forced to make a public apology when the rest of the media turns on it.  Utter shites.
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline LUCASzade

• Main Stander
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 08:29:12 am »
Sadly Whiskynose would walk out of the interview instead of taking it on the chin like Quaresma.  I can see him puffing up at the first hostile question, going red in the face and then tearing off his mic and throwing it on the ground while stamping off.

Then the broadcaster will be forced to make a public apology when the rest of the media turns on it.  Utter shites.

Good point

Offline LUCASzade

• Main Stander
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2008, 08:30:51 am »
July 2008

Babel was clearly sold on this idea, and until he is given the freedom to express himself more, we will never see his full potential at Anfield

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2008, 08:33:20 am »
Babel was clearly sold on this idea, and until he is given the freedom to express himself more, we will never see his full potential at Anfield

Maybe.  But I tend to think that discipline earlier in their careers - tactical, positional - helps a player make the best use of their "freedom to express" themselves later on.  Playing on the left I would say has improved Babel's style of play and made him more versatile.  Quaresma on the right instead of Dirk would have been similar if he had taken the chance with us.
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline Jonny J

• RAWK Kit Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • it's cyclical
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 08:35:25 am »
Maybe.  But I tend to think that discipline earlier in their careers - tactical, positional - helps a player make the best use of their "freedom to express" themselves later on.  Playing on the left I would say has improved Babel's style of play and made him more versatile.  Quaresma on the right instead of Dirk would have been similar if he had taken the chance with us.

Agreed

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2008, 08:35:44 am »
If he refuses to adapt to our teams style then i dont see any chance that Rafa will pursue him.

Would be nice if we got him as we still need a wide player with the pace and skill that he has, i would be extremely suprised if this happened though.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Macedonian_Red

• NewsNow. Actually much later. And then probably wrong.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2008, 08:40:59 am »

Personally, I think that at this age (turning 25 in September), Quaresma will be difficult to adapt to Rafa's system ... In his own words: "I believe they wanted to kind of change my role. They wanted me to be less expressive on the pitch and be more aggressive" ... That is so typical of Rafa and, as much as I like Quaresma, I don't think Rafa would change his basic principles in order to accommodate any player ...

Offline LUCASzade

• Main Stander
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2008, 08:49:07 am »

Babel played on the left for Ajax and Holland long before joining us, thats nothing new

I mean the obvious cautiousness when attacking and reluctance to go round a man without being wary of whether our defense has pushed out quickly enough

Babel seems a lot more hesitant on the ball for us than when at Ajax