Author Topic: Masterchef  (Read 37035 times)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Re: Masterchef
« Reply #360 on: December 12, 2022, 07:16:44 pm »
No issue with the winner. Thought Wilson would have gone further though

Biggest annoyance though is they have dropped the finals week where they send them to some incredible 3 michelin star restaurant. But I guess COVID is still hitting TV.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #361 on: December 16, 2022, 07:31:44 am »
Finally got caught up last night and saw the final. Thank you to those above for not spoiling! I got my prediction wrong but as above, no issue at all with the eventual winner. Fully deserved. Enjoyed that series and thought Anna H was a good addition to the presenters.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #362 on: December 16, 2022, 08:58:38 am »
Really enjoyed this series and she was a well deserved winner.

I did have a soft spot for Saga and thought his food looked amazing
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: April 22, 2023, 09:24:40 am »
Good start this season. Forrest fudged up and thought after first round he'd get through quarter finals easily.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #364 on: June 2, 2023, 12:54:04 pm »
Best standard final I've seen. Would have been happy with any of the three winning.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: June 3, 2023, 09:45:47 am »
Best standard final I've seen. Would have been happy with any of the three winning.
Was happy with overall winner. Was very good final though.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: June 15, 2023, 01:25:12 pm »
Just announced the new celebrity lineup. Think I've heard of half of them.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: July 27, 2023, 03:17:20 pm »
James Buckley.

"Celebrity Masterchef. Completed it mate".

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #368 on: August 16, 2023, 09:13:49 pm »
Is that the Go Compare fella?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #369 on: August 17, 2023, 09:39:39 pm »
Is that the Go Compare fella?

I spent all episode wondering that last night then forgot to google it today!

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: October 11, 2023, 08:50:33 pm »
Professionals is back on the 23rd. Monica is back.

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: October 12, 2023, 08:48:44 pm »

Is Masterchef Professionals as good as the normal one? I've never seen the professional ones. I mean they are all professionals already and are used to coping with the pressure but how different is it to the original series?
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #372 on: October 16, 2023, 04:30:17 pm »
Is Masterchef Professionals as good as the normal one? I've never seen the professional ones. I mean they are all professionals already and are used to coping with the pressure but how different is it to the original series?

It's a similar format.

I actually prefer it. There's still a wide range of ability/experience in the early rounds. The tasks are tougher, though.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: October 18, 2023, 10:50:39 am »

It's the best version for me. The skills test when they start is the best part of the whole thing. Seeing these clearly talented chefs flounder and struggle under the pressure

For me it's Professionals > Normal >>>>>>>>>>>> Celebrity

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: October 18, 2023, 11:12:57 am »

Better I would say. I prefer Monica Galetti and Marcus Wearing to John Torode (Gregg is still there but more like a mascot than a judge), the earlier challenges I think are better, and I prefer the cooks cooking for the Food Critics than for past winners (particularly Jay Rayner and Grace Dent)

You always get some really great stories with the chef's too - be it Culinary school or development chefs that are actually the best, a chef that was a bit of a bad lad but cooking helped them out, Private chefs that are like another level good, and young chefs who Marcus ends up absolutely loving how they work.

The later stages go into a lot more finer dining too

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: October 18, 2023, 03:59:44 pm »
Better I would say. I prefer Monica Galetti and Marcus Wearing to John Torode (Gregg is still there but more like a mascot than a judge), the earlier challenges I think are better, and I prefer the cooks cooking for the Food Critics than for past winners (particularly Jay Rayner and Grace Dent)

You always get some really great stories with the chef's too - be it Culinary school or development chefs that are actually the best, a chef that was a bit of a bad lad but cooking helped them out, Private chefs that are like another level good, and young chefs who Marcus ends up absolutely loving how they work.

The later stages go into a lot more finer dining too

Thanks fot the insight. I'll check it out.
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: October 18, 2023, 04:06:24 pm »

it's far better, I think, to the extent that it's pretty much ruined the original format for me now.

By the end of the series, it's usually "elite" level chefs or chefs who will be at that level quickly. A lot of the finalists also compete in national or worldwide industry competitions and many of them go straight into Michelin kitchens from the show.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: October 19, 2023, 09:32:11 am »

Thought Anna Waugh was great last year and sorry to see she's not back for it. Agree Professionals is the better of the two main Masterchef shows, higher standard as you'd expect but just better TV to watch them. Seeing seasoned chefs struggle on the skills challenge in the first episodes is always fascinating.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: October 19, 2023, 09:38:30 am »
Thought Anna Waugh was great last year and sorry to see she's not back for it. Agree Professionals is the better of the two main Masterchef shows, higher standard as you'd expect but just better TV to watch them. Seeing seasoned chefs struggle on the skills challenge in the first episodes is always fascinating.

Especially as it is always those giving it "the big I am" who end up floundering and the unassuming that end up coming out alright

I also think the judging is fairer in those - if someone makes a mistake or just doesn't know the skill, Marcus and Monica/Anna would still judge them by what they could do, the good chef instincts and good manner of working. If it goes wrong they sometimes still come out saying "well it went wrong but you still impressed me with how you approached this"

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: October 19, 2023, 10:07:04 am »
Michel Roux Jr was the best judge they have ever had.

I like Marcus now but he has toned himself down from the days where he worked under Gordan Ramsey to make himself more palatable for TV.

I think the Professionals is the best version of the show. Especially the final week where they go to some of the best restaurants in the world. You feel more invested in them

The Skills test is probably my favourite part but you can see that there is clearly a step up in quality of the food and skill on show which is far better to watch

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #380 on: October 19, 2023, 10:58:55 am »
Michel Roux Jr was the best judge they have ever had.

I like Marcus now but he has toned himself down from the days where he worked under Gordan Ramsey to make himself more palatable for TV.

I think the Professionals is the best version of the show. Especially the final week where they go to some of the best restaurants in the world. You feel more invested in them

The Skills test is probably my favourite part but you can see that there is clearly a step up in quality of the food and skill on show which is far better to watch

I've always had a dislike for Wareing since he was judge on a GBM heat with Johnnie Mountain. He acted like a right cock in that, and it smacked of a personal vendetta.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #381 on: October 19, 2023, 11:10:19 am »
Agree with sentiment toward The Professionals being the bet iteration of the show.

Pro chefs confused over a request that Marcus/Michele/Monica made which apparently "should be known" is always great, show that there really can be a chasm of skill/knowledge even between pros, it's fascinating.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: October 24, 2023, 10:40:30 pm »
Good standard in the second episode. The young lad absolutely nailed the dessert skills test. Accident with the Brazilian chef looked nasty.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #383 on: October 31, 2023, 09:45:11 pm »
Argh I hate it when they just collapse in the face of the skills challenge, it's the worst kind of cringe comedy.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: November 1, 2023, 08:56:12 am »
Argh I hate it when they just collapse in the face of the skills challenge, it's the worst kind of cringe comedy.

Yeah, never seen two chefs not finish their main the other day and not even get a dessert up.

The 3 lasses last night were all excellent. A lot more female chefs this year. In previous years there were only 3 or 4 in total.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: November 1, 2023, 09:22:06 am »
Yeah, never seen two chefs not finish their main the other day and not even get a dessert up.

The 3 lasses last night were all excellent. A lot more female chefs this year. In previous years there were only 3 or 4 in total.

I always think it's funny when they take three through. First guy gets sent through the exit door and is patiently waiting to see who else has been eliminated and no-one else comes through :D right decision though, the trio from last night were brilliant. Molly's enthusiasm was infectious.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: December 8, 2023, 08:06:06 pm »
Finally caught up

Alchemist is probably the most pretentious restaurant I've ever seen. Like the Fat Duck on steroids. But it is classed as one of the best in the world.

Tom should win. Tommy probably shouldn't be there but I like the journey Kasae has been on

When they said they were going to Copenhagen in Denmark, I was expecting them to go to the restaurant from The Bear :lmao
« Last Edit: December 8, 2023, 08:08:31 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #387 on: December 10, 2023, 09:22:41 pm »

Alchemist is probably the most pretentious restaurant I've ever seen. Like the Fat Duck on steroids. But it is classed as one of the best in the world.

It was unbelievably pretentious wasn’t it. I’m deffo no expert, but it managed to seem a bit old hat to me, whilst clearly trying to be cutting edge. It had a bit of a 1980s Miami vice vibe. That whole eco philosophy would be far more suited to ultra relaxed surroundings, kind of the opposite to what they’d gone for. Industrial minimalism is so last week (or something) :D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 09:24:49 pm by Red_Mist »

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #388 on: April 9, 2024, 11:22:37 am »
Nobody looked standout so far. Lot of yummy mummy/Good Life types with their Waitrose magazine recipes.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: Yesterday at 06:58:56 pm »
Thought it was funny the woman talking about how amazing vegan food is then proceeds to chop off the tip of her finger and they show the flap of skin on the knife.

Joked to the missus that her food wasn't vegan any more :P

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #390 on: Yesterday at 10:17:21 pm »
Thought it was funny the woman talking about how amazing vegan food is then proceeds to chop off the tip of her finger and they show the flap of skin on the knife.

Joked to the missus that her food wasn't vegan any more :P
Not bad with her blue plaster.

Pears in rum with risotto was a classic wtf moment.