Author Topic: TV Licence Fee  (Read 23992 times)

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: TV Licence Fee
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2013, 11:22:55 pm »
In the days when not many people had TV's in their homes, it might of made sense to regulate, record and license them.

These days, what with virtually the entire population having a TV, computer, smart phone, or some other device that can receive pictures, it's an outdated concept and nothing more than another stealth tax.

The BBC and government are so used to having that revenue from the British public though, that they're not prepared to give up that source of revenue, any time soon.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2013, 09:13:13 am »
But the thing is, if you turned it into an optional subscription, would that not defeat the point of the BBC?

It would surely then create pressure on the BBC to chase viewer/ratings/subscriptions, over any "public service" remit it might have.

The output of the BBC would change drastically if it was made a commercial broadcaster. Much of the news, documentary and arts budget would disappear. Can't imagine they'd keep all of the radio output, subscription would come in for iPlayer, which would be chock full of ads and bumpers.

I'd rather pay the £12 a month.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2013, 10:00:24 am »
I'd rather pay the £12 a month.

Me too.

Commercial impulses would kill a large portion of the Beeb's excellent output.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2013, 06:05:30 pm »
Going on what was said on the previous page - Jess is off to Uni in September and will be living in the Halls. If she takes her own TV will she be covered by my licence? Or is that just for laptops and the like?
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2013, 06:23:32 pm »
If I remember right, if your door has a number/letter on it it counts as a separate address and you need a license.

Most halls have numbers on the doors, or it'll be like a flat with lettered doors.

Online John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2013, 07:29:40 pm »
Going on what was said on the previous page - Jess is off to Uni in September and will be living in the Halls. If she takes her own TV will she be covered by my licence? Or is that just for laptops and the like?

nope, when I was in uni (2001-2004) everyone in my halls got tv licensing letters.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2013, 07:56:13 pm »
nope, when I was in uni (2001-2004) everyone in my halls got tv licensing letters.

I delivered at Uni halls for a couple of years and they were a nightmare. Block of 200 flats with 6-7 rooms in each. Every single one got a tv licence and the communal room.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2013, 07:58:28 pm »
I dont have a tv licence hahahahahahahahahaha and i love it.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2013, 08:16:04 pm »

Your license would only cover portable devices - laptop/tablet etc. (as long as they aren't plugged in).
For a normal TV, she'd need a license.

Happened to me at Uni as well. Lived in a big block of flat, they sent a letter to everyone.
One of my flatmates actually binned all the letters straight away first time round.

So the first letters we saw had already moved up a step in delivering threats about the consequences of not having a license.
All a bit of a waste of time on their part anyway -  no one on my floor could even get a signal in their rooms because we were located in what was essentially a valley.

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2013, 09:00:57 pm »

No, if theres a lock on her bedroom door seperate from the rest of the house, technically she needs one.

No point getting one though, they could never check. They bombard halls and uni houses with letters, ignore them, dont let anyone in in the extreamly unlikely event of someone calling round and your sound.
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2013, 11:25:45 pm »
Got caught with no licence once. Just paid it as soon as the fella left and they said sound.

Online jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: July 6, 2013, 02:14:59 pm »
Quick question - my daughter is off to Uni in September and her accommodation letter has arrived - she has been offered a flat in one of the blocks. Will she have to have her own TV licence?
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Carly

• Rafa Obsessive. Wales Rugby Union fan. Defianately!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 6, 2013, 02:16:54 pm »
Quick question - my daughter is off to Uni in September and her accommodation letter has arrived - she has been offered a flat in one of the blocks. Will she have to have her own TV licence?

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1/?WT.mc_id=r107

Online jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2013, 05:42:29 pm »
So, just about to buy a tv licence for the first time.

Tick the option to pay monthly. It then asks me to pay £29 a month for 5 months to pay the licence in full, then pay the first six months of the next year in advance. So effectively the fuckers are asking for £220 in the first year. Talk about a) discriminating against new licence payers and b) Taking the piss.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2013, 05:50:32 pm »

Tick the option to pay monthly. It then asks me to pay £29 a month for 5 months to pay the licence in full, then pay the first six months of the next year in advance. So effectively the fuckers are asking for £220 in the first year. Talk about a) discriminating against new licence payers and b) Taking the piss.

Don't pay anything then. They'll send you 5 letters before threatening to even send someone round.

Offline CB

• Kopite
  • Chi non salta della Lazio e'
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2013, 08:17:54 pm »
The output of the BBC would change drastically if it was made a commercial broadcaster. Much of the news, documentary and arts budget would disappear.
Well that suits me as I don't watch any of this.

And, as we have found out, the BBC behaves like any large corporate when it comes to executive pay-outs, especially for those whose who are leaving....public service.....really??

Where can I opt out?
Milan nel incubo!

E grazie a Dio che non sono Laziale!

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2013, 08:36:22 pm »
Well that suits me as I don't watch any of this.

And, as we have found out, the BBC behaves like any large corporate when it comes to executive pay-outs, especially for those whose who are leaving....public service.....really??

Where can I opt out?

it's not there to suit just you though is it
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2013, 08:55:57 pm »
you would have thought in todays age of technology that who ever wants to watch or listen to the bbc would be able to pay individually.
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #59 on: October 1, 2013, 01:40:17 am »
you would have thought in todays age of technology that who ever wants to watch or listen to the bbc would be able to pay individually.

Want to make the argument for the NHS?

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: October 1, 2013, 07:38:51 pm »

Ditch it... what are they going to do about it ? Harass you, Intimidate you, Threaten you, Trespass on your property, Pervert the course of justice, Commit perjury ?
It makes them sound like a Criminal racket doesn't it, in which case Its illegal to fund a Organization if you believe it to be a Criminal Organization...
However if you are a Single Female with Children its probably a good idea to get one... unless said Female has a black belt in martial arts and know her Rights.

Offline lauz

• Looking for a talented pastie smasher. Apply within.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: October 1, 2013, 09:22:32 pm »
Ditch it... what are they going to do about it ? Harass you, Intimidate you, Threaten you, Trespass on your property, Pervert the course of justice, Commit perjury ?
It makes them sound like a Criminal racket doesn't it, in which case Its illegal to fund a Organization if you believe it to be a Criminal Organization...
However if you are a Single Female with Children its probably a good idea to get one... unless said Female has a black belt in martial arts and know her Rights.

why only for a single female with children?

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 2, 2013, 06:54:34 pm »
why only for a single female with children?
They are the one's who are targeted by the BBC's henchmen,its because the BBC believes them to be the most likely to succumb to Harassment, Intimidation aka Bullying.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: October 2, 2013, 07:20:48 pm »
They are the one's who are targeted by the BBC's henchmen,its because the BBC believes them to be the most likely to succumb to Harassment, Intimidation aka Bullying.
sexist

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: October 2, 2013, 07:30:27 pm »

Targeted by the BBC's henchmen? Seriously? I have pretty good knowledge on TV licencing due to my job and the numbers who don't pay are fucking mind-boggling. What's more they don't even have names of non-payers, in most instances they're referred to as 'legal' or 'current' occupier.

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 2, 2013, 08:15:55 pm »

If I remember right, if your door has a number/letter on it it counts as a separate address and you need a license.

Most halls have numbers on the doors, or it'll be like a flat with lettered doors.

when I was in uni (2001-2004) everyone in my halls got tv licensing letters.

Your license would only cover portable devices - laptop/tablet etc. (as long as they aren't plugged in).
For a normal TV, she'd need a license.

;D

Offline pewithree3

• Has a grumpy old female arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #66 on: October 2, 2013, 08:15:58 pm »
If you are the deputy prime minister you put it
on expenses and get taxpayers to pay for it!

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: October 2, 2013, 08:57:56 pm »
Targeted by the BBC's henchmen? Seriously? I have pretty good knowledge on TV licencing due to my job and the numbers who don't pay are fucking mind-boggling. What's more they don't even have names of non-payers, in most instances they're referred to as 'legal' or 'current' occupier.

Deliver shit loads of them with "current occupier" then someone moves in an address with the same thing on and send them back.

Question why I even pay it personally.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: October 2, 2013, 10:57:47 pm »

I believe them to be targeted because of cases I know of personally. Also IIRC its around 70 % of those prosecuted are female ( there is a old thread on here somewhere )

One trick they use around our area is to wait around for them to come home with the kids after School, follow them to the door then stick their foot in the door and yes its predominately Women. Typical bully's they wouldn't try that sh*t with me.
I once caught one these nonces peeping through my kitchen window... he tried to run away  8)

You don't work for Capita do you ?

sexist

I'm all for equal rights Henchwomen and Henchmen it is  ;)

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: October 3, 2013, 04:41:12 pm »

alrite mate do you work in Darwen?
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline jaffod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 3, 2013, 08:06:15 pm »

You don't work for Capita do you ?

alrite mate do you work in Darwen?

No and No!

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #71 on: January 6, 2015, 12:17:56 pm »
I genuinely don't know why I have to pay this.

I just looked it up and their website basically said that I have to pay it "because it's the law" ::)

BBC are not impartial, 99% of the time their output is guff and largely comparable with ITV.

I think the fee should be abolished.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: January 6, 2015, 01:09:13 pm »
I genuinely don't know why I have to pay this.

I just looked it up and their website basically said that I have to pay it "because it's the law" ::)

BBC are not impartial, 99% of the time their output is guff and largely comparable with ITV.

I think the fee should be abolished.

ITV is pure shite, the odd drama aside - which I can't even watch due to my dislike of ad breaks.

BBC has quality radio and TV channels, excellent websites. BBC 4, the only decent place to see music programming which is woeful everywhere else or plagued with advertising MTV style. Same for 6 music. Also shows loads of boss imported dramas and stuff. It does a lot for upcoming talent, far more than ITV.

Yes the news and political 'slant' has been criticised of late, but really they're in a bind regarding that.

Criticise the Tories/rightwing/UKIP, then the government will take away their Public Service remit, effectively banishing them to a life of commercial television, which is effectively what you are asking for with disposal of the licence fee. Don't criticise the Tories et al, come in for loads of shit from all the lefty liberals like me :P

You might think their news programming is poor now but basically if they disappear it leaves us open to US style news broadcasting, brought to you by our corporate sponsors, biased as fuck and effectively spreading misinformation a la Fox News.

The NHS and the BBC are the last two great UK institutions in my book, remnants of a time when socialism wasn't a dirty word. The ideas may have changed for both since their inception, but I still believe Britain would be a far far poorer place without either.

I have my own criticisms of their changes and actions over time (Saville FFS) but I honestly believe the country would be better served by supporting them rather than calling for the licence fee to be scrapped, which would effectively make them into a ratings-chasing bottom feeder like every other channel/broadcasting corporation, yes they have crap like Strictly etc. but overall that's a fair exchange for Radio 4, 6, BBC 4, websites, and the many other services they provide.

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: January 6, 2015, 01:14:11 pm »
I got a shock since I moved to the UK.

Is this fee £12 EVERY month!?!

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #74 on: January 6, 2015, 07:27:11 pm »
Yep. Enjoy the shite. As for a great british institution, i think you are on a fishing trip mate.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2015, 10:54:12 pm »
The whole licensing system is a joke. I have a bit of inside knowledge due to the nature of my job and the number of unlicensed properties would astonish you. The BBC don't even have the property owners name on their records and just use terms like legal occupier instead. To chase up the millions who don't pay or are in arrears is a hopeless task and I dread to think how much is added on to the fee to cover the cost of sending out millions of letters a year to people who have no intention of paying it.

I currently have a licence at one address which is paid up until the end of May.  Actually in the process of selling the house which has now been empty for the last couple of months.

At the same time I took up tenancy in an apartment  - my contract actually started last June - although it was only recently that I moved into the apartment.

Up until now I've either sent back or ignored letters about the tv licence at the apartment which were addressed to 'The Legal Occupier'.
1) As I wasn't actually living in the apartment but was simply shifting my belongings there over the course of a few months.
2) Was paid up at the other address anyway where the tv was in use.

A couple of days ago my apartment intercom buzzed and I could see a weird looking bloke with a clipboard stood outside. 
The apartments have secure access so he couldn't get in but I can see him through the intercom camera and so I ignored him as I thought he was a salesman.

Now I've received a letter worded as follows :

Dear Sir/madam,
You have not responded to our previous letters.  We want to ensure you have the information you may need before a hearing is set at your local court.
Please read the information below carefully and keep for your records.  You will be allowed to take it into court with you.

Then there's a couple of paragraphs about :
> What to expect in court     > How to avoid a court summons.

Personally, I'm tempted to ignore it as I think it's a blag.  How can you set a court date if you don't know who you're dealing with?

Secondly, if i respond they'll get me onto their database which will be a pain in the arse as I don't actually have sky/bt/virgin or even a freeview box.  I do, however, have a 'Now TV' box which i occasionally use and runs off my internet but it doesn't have live tv like bbc1 etc.

Thoughts ?

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:56:04 pm by SpartanRed »
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2015, 07:51:42 am »
It's the worst bill along with council tax, spending money on fuck all.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2015, 07:57:44 am »
Council tax pays for police, fire, rubbish disposal, libraries, children's centres, etc.

But yeah, fuck all.

Has everyone gone Tory on here?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2015, 08:08:23 am »
When I first moved into my place I rang up and told them I didn't need a licence as I don't have a television and they were okay with that.  Every couple of years I get a letter from them asking me if my circumstances have changed and I just call them to say no they haven't.

They seem to have softened the wording in the letters in the past few years.  Used to be along the lines of "if you have a television or device capable of accessing live BBC content" - which could include laptops or even a smart phone - but now it's more like, "if you are planning to watch live television broadcasts".

I don't even go on the BBC website unless I'm in a café or library where I know they'll be covered for a licence.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2015, 08:38:04 am »
So if you have a computer they can make you buy a TV Licence?