Author Topic: TV Licence Fee  (Read 23974 times)

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: TV Licence Fee
« Reply #160 on: May 19, 2015, 04:51:22 pm »
Absolutely 0, I've got Sky, which I chose to have and pay for, I didn't choose to pay for a TV license its forced upon.

So you don't mind paying what, £40, £50 a month for Sky TV, lining that c*nt Murdoch's pockets, but you are whinging about paying £12 a month for your TV Licence?

If you never watch BBC Four's fantastic output or listen to class radio stations like 6 Music, you should have to pay a tax anyway, for being a cunt.

This made me laugh.

Offline muyuu

• Google Groomer. reddit remain campaigner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #161 on: May 19, 2015, 05:09:45 pm »
So you don't mind paying what, £40, £50 a month for Sky TV, lining that c*nt Murdoch's pockets, but you are whinging about paying £12 a month for your TV Licence?

This is the same lad who wouldn't pay for the police or firemen because he hasn't used them and never needed them.
"Chelsea have confirmed that their interim fans will leave the club when Roman Abramovich does"
-sinnermichael

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=303961.msg11432382#msg11432382

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #162 on: May 19, 2015, 05:33:28 pm »
Andy you must be on a wind up?

Although I also find incredibly funny those who say they don't need a TV license as they torrent their shows ;D
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: May 19, 2015, 05:34:36 pm »
This is the same lad who wouldn't pay for the police or firemen because he hasn't used them and never needed them.

If he wasn't on a windup, it's one of the most berserk shouts I've ever seen anyone make on here. And I've seen quite a few.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: May 19, 2015, 05:43:46 pm »
I was on a wind-up about the police and fire services I'll admit that and I am with Sky but contracts up in September and fucking it off it was my bird who wanted it in the first place now she's not arsed about it.

Offline muyuu

• Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #165 on: May 19, 2015, 05:45:07 pm »
I was on a wind-up about the police and fire services I'll admit that and I am with Sky but contracts up in September and fucking it off it was my bird who wanted it in the first place now she's not arsed about it.

All the better, now you can ditch the TV and save the fee then, as you only watched Sky.

Glad to hear you were on a wind up re: police and fire and council tax I assume.
"Chelsea have confirmed that their interim fans will leave the club when Roman Abramovich does"
-sinnermichael

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=303961.msg11432382#msg11432382

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: May 19, 2015, 05:48:15 pm »
All the better, now you can ditch the TV and save the fee then, as you only watched Sky.

Glad to hear you were on a wind up re: police and fire and council tax I assume.

You do know that it's not only BBC and Sky on television don't you?

I just wanted to see where my hard earned money was going regarding the bottomless pit that is council tax, as I said, there's fuck all for the kids around here to do, parks are shitholes and centres closed.

Offline muyuu

• Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #167 on: May 19, 2015, 05:56:47 pm »

It's you who said you only watched Sky.

In any case, watching content through internet connected devices you can avoid the licence, just avoiding BBC real-time broadcast.

I just wanted to see where my hard earned money was going regarding the bottomless pit that is council tax, as I said, there's fuck all for the kids around here to do, parks are shitholes and centres closed.

Maybe not enough council tax then.
-sinnermichael

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: May 19, 2015, 05:59:53 pm »
I don't even know why I'm moaning about Council Tax to be honest, I don't have to pay it for three years from September  ;D TV license is paid for the year too but it was a good discussion lads and lasses  ;)

Offline Dirkydirkdirk

• Kopite
  • Sweet Jesus no
« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2015, 06:14:33 pm »
If the license fee is abolished and BBC has to go subscription then they will have to chase ratings to maximise income. You can say goodbye to any high quality niche programming.

Also, if you enjoy reading things in the internet for free then you can thank the BBC. If BBC sites go subscription then other sites will be free to follow suit. Currently they can't do that because they know that their competitor provides high quality news and sport coverage for free.

Public broadcasting is hugely important to the country whether you watch it or not.
There are no stars in this team, or no one with any airs or graces. We're one unit, we work hard for each other and we all pull in the same direction.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: May 19, 2015, 06:15:46 pm »
I don't even know why I'm moaning about Council Tax to be honest, I don't have to pay it for three years from September  ;D TV license is paid for the year too but it was a good discussion lads and lasses  ;)

3 years in prison for not paying your council tax?

Offline gregor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: May 19, 2015, 06:43:18 pm »

Where do you live?

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: May 19, 2015, 06:46:49 pm »
Where do you live?

Fucking la la land by the sounds of it

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: May 19, 2015, 06:59:58 pm »
I'm just curious, but do people without kids resent their taxes going towards schools? It's never bothered me, but then neither did paying the TV license when I lived in the UK.

This country does seem to be going more and more like the place Thatcher was trying to build, ie I'm alright Jack fuck you.

I love the BBC, as while they cater for the mainstream with soaps etc, they also do brilliant documentaries, some of the kids programmes are ace, my kids learnt so much from Cbeebies watching stuff like Come Outside, Andy's Wild adventures, etc. Remove the licence and you'll lose that and get inane drivel in its place. Look at ITV, its channels are overrun with utter shite with the odd decent programme thrown in.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: May 19, 2015, 08:35:30 pm »
Get BBC1 on now guys! The critically acclaimed, boundary pushing Holby City is on!

Well worth £12 or whatever it is a month IMO.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #175 on: May 19, 2015, 09:59:59 pm »
If people are going to demand the right not to pay for something they don't watch on the beeb, then where's the fuss about the unfairness of sky subscriptions? In order to get Sky Atlantic and the less than half a dozen other channels I regularly watch on sky and to get them in HD I'm having to pay 30-odd quid a month for a bucketful of random shite as well. Take the manipulative c*nts at sky to task as well then I might listen to arguments about the licence fee, otherwise it's just hypocrisy.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: May 19, 2015, 10:08:19 pm »
If people are going to demand the right not to pay for something they don't watch on the beeb, then where's the fuss about the unfairness of sky subscriptions? In order to get Sky Atlantic and the less than half a dozen other channels I regularly watch on sky and to get them in HD I'm having to pay 30-odd quid a month for a bucketful of random shite as well. Take the manipulative c*nts at sky to task as well then I might listen to arguments about the licence fee, otherwise it's just hypocrisy.

Springsteen sang about 57 channels (and nothin on), 20 odd years later Sky have over 600 Tv channels and there's till nothing on.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: May 20, 2015, 02:17:39 am »
Not strictly true.  If you're taken to court and subsequently fined by the magistrate an enforcement officer technically has the right to force entry (although it very rarely happens).  This isn't anything to do with the BBC or government, it's because once it's been in front of the magistrate it becomes a criminal fine (for the time being, decriminalisation is being considered).
Didn't know that, cheers.

Anyway, here's the link to tv-licensing laid bare I said I would post.
It's a download now, but if you've any doubts as to the law, get it and read it, and tell your friends.
http://tv-licensing.blogspot.co.uk/p/free-book.html

I do get annoyed at how many people get bullied into paying it when they don't watch it.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #178 on: May 20, 2015, 08:20:10 am »
Didn't know that, cheers.

Anyway, here's the link to tv-licensing laid bare I said I would post.
It's a download now, but if you've any doubts as to the law, get it and read it, and tell your friends.
http://tv-licensing.blogspot.co.uk/p/free-book.html

I do get annoyed at how many people get bullied into paying it when they don't watch it.

Good link. Thanks for that.

Should be optional. End of.

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #179 on: May 20, 2015, 08:51:35 am »
Always makes me laugh people kicking off about the BBC, the content alone you get off iplayer is incredible, seriously you would struggle to find such quality anywhere else, not just TV but radio aswell.

Honestly the amount of shite on Sky and the other freeview channels is staggering, the only thing Sky has going for it is the footy (For now) and you can watch that in the pub for free if you choose to, paying nearly 70 fucking quid a month for the privilege.

I'd be gutted if it was scrapped.

Seems endemic nowadays of people's mentality that anything culturally significant should be scrapped, things that enhance the country for the better that are of incalculable value then the narrow minded idiots want it fucking off just to save their selfish fucking selves a few quid regardless of the huge culture vacuum it'd create.

Just look around at the state of countries that go down the route of state owned TV and pour scorn on things that allow people to express themselves and immerse in the arts and cultural enterprises. It would be fucking horrible.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:54:38 am by Bunter »

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #180 on: May 20, 2015, 09:41:23 am »

Without getting into a debate about Murdoch, BBC content etc... When you strip it down - Sky or any other cable TV is optional.

Sky has over 600 channels as someone mentioned on this thread - say £50pm / 600 = £0.08 per channel (roughly)

BBC TV and Radio content consists of how many channels/feeds? Would there be 20 per region? £0.60 per channel.

The cost is extortionate for something that people might consider a luxury and something that they don't use. It's in no way a necessity, which is why I feel uncomfortable when people are comparing it to Fire of Ambulance services.

There should be an opt in and opt out scheme IMO - don't want it? Don't pay for it and don't have access to the channels. 

Some people love the BBC and its content - others don't watch it. I don't think someone should be hammered for not caring about BBC products.

Offline marko35s

• Kopite
« Reply #181 on: May 20, 2015, 09:47:55 am »
Without getting into a debate about Murdoch, BBC content etc... When you strip it down - Sky or any other cable TV is optional.

Sky has over 600 channels as someone mentioned on this thread - say £50pm / 600 = £0.08 per channel (roughly)

BBC TV and Radio content consists of how many channels/feeds? Would there be 20 per region? £0.60 per channel.

The cost is extortionate for something that people might consider a luxury and something that they don't use. It's in no way a necessity, which is why I feel uncomfortable when people are comparing it to Fire of Ambulance services.

There should be an opt in and opt out scheme IMO - don't want it? Don't pay for it and don't have access to the channels. 

Some people love the BBC and its content - others don't watch it. I don't think someone should be hammered for not caring about BBC products.
You guys genuinely have no idea of how lucky you are to have the BBC, the quality of the programming is pretty high compared to what a lot of state broadcasting entails these days.
One of the few things I actually miss about the UK.

Offline muyuu

• Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #182 on: May 20, 2015, 11:32:52 am »

That's as pointless a stat as it gets. Out of these 600 you wouldn't watch 95% for your own sanity's sake.

That's not to say the BBC doesn't have its share of crud. It should be slimmed down to the important stuff and the public service part of it IMO.
-sinnermichael

Offline gregor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: May 20, 2015, 01:07:01 pm »
Get BBC1 on now guys! The critically acclaimed, boundary pushing Holby City is on!

Well worth £12 or whatever it is a month IMO.

You're really weird.

Offline VintageRed74

• or perhaps Vladimir or even Estragon. Best fiends with Maggie..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: May 20, 2015, 01:42:12 pm »
Is there still a requirement to have a TV license? nobody told me  :duh
I never normally forget a face, but in your case I'm willing to make an exception.

Offline muyuu

• Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
-sinnermichael

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #186 on: May 20, 2015, 09:19:51 pm »
So where do people see a non-licence fee BBC fitting in? Shut down altogether? Just another subscription channel on the sky/freeview platform? A small presence on free-to-air but all their best stuff behind a paywall? Everything as it was but free and with ads?

What I loved about the BBC was never just its output but its ability to lead where others had to follow. Look at iPlayer, it is still miles ahead of the commercial alternatives like 4OD or ITV player. Alternatives that probably wouldn't even exist if the BBC hadn't forced it on them. You think Sky News would be free if they didn't have to compete with the BBC news channel? You think ITV would broadcast in HD for free if the BBC hadn't forced their hand? I see that £12 a month fee as not only giving me everything the BBC produce but everything we get off the others free as well. Because it won't be free once the BBC have been hamstrung. Say goodbye to that £12 you've just saved. I daren't even think about what radio would be like without the BBC. Wall-to-wall Chorley FM and Pete Price-like shite I expect. Shudder.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: May 22, 2015, 03:17:45 pm »
I've just moved and I've got my TV licence.  I don't mind paying it but presumably (and hypothetically), as I'm paying double for the first 6 months I can stop paying in 6 months time and be in credit for the next 6?  And if not, why not?
You pay the first 6 months upfront, then you move to paying for 12 months with no 6 month break. It's a fucking racket.

I've had it out with them on the phone too many times now, I've given up.
cyas

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #188 on: August 25, 2015, 11:23:17 am »
Two thirds of viewers opposed to the licence fee changed their minds after just 9 days without access to any BBC services in a deprivation study:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-08-25/two-thirds-of-viewers-opposed-to-the-licence-fee-changed-their-minds-after-just-nine-days-without-bbc-services

"It was shocking in that we realised how much we did watch BBC programmes".

The bits of transcripts read like an infomercial brought to you by ... the BBC.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #189 on: August 25, 2015, 11:24:52 am »
Radio fucking Times!

Who gives a shit what Hyacinth Bucket thinks! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline muyuu

• Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #190 on: August 25, 2015, 11:34:11 am »
So where do people see a non-licence fee BBC fitting in? Shut down altogether? Just another subscription channel on the sky/freeview platform? A small presence on free-to-air but all their best stuff behind a paywall? Everything as it was but free and with ads?

What I loved about the BBC was never just its output but its ability to lead where others had to follow. Look at iPlayer, it is still miles ahead of the commercial alternatives like 4OD or ITV player. Alternatives that probably wouldn't even exist if the BBC hadn't forced it on them. You think Sky News would be free if they didn't have to compete with the BBC news channel? You think ITV would broadcast in HD for free if the BBC hadn't forced their hand? I see that £12 a month fee as not only giving me everything the BBC produce but everything we get off the others free as well. Because it won't be free once the BBC have been hamstrung. Say goodbye to that £12 you've just saved. I daren't even think about what radio would be like without the BBC. Wall-to-wall Chorley FM and Pete Price-like shite I expect. Shudder.

I think the BBC will have to move to a dual model without licence fee. Part of it is infrastructural service and will be covered by the general budget. Other parts, not so much... so they might end up being part of a premium subscription package.

But the licence model is simply becoming obsolete.
-sinnermichael

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
BBC License Fee
« Reply #191 on: April 18, 2017, 08:46:15 am »
Was talking about this with the Mrs and few people down the pub, the only thing worth watching on the BBC is Match of the Day(if we won). 
Do you agree with the fee?

Close to £5billion a year with that sort of money they should be making TV Shows like the Game Of Thrones or Walking Dead not the dross that they provide.
Most of the old shows can be seen on Dave and other channels.  Think this is really outdated and needs to be scraped.
Make it PPV was the outcome of our discussion at the pub, scraping the license fee (tax) and if people want to watch it they can subscribe like you do with NetFlix and Amazon.

Thoughts?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: BBC License Fee
« Reply #192 on: April 18, 2017, 08:54:59 am »
Bake Off, Strictly and Planet Earth were the three most watched shows on UK TV last year, all from the BBC. Sherlock, Call the Midwife and Top Gear were also in the top 10. This includes the likes of GoT and Walking Dead.

So whilst you may think MOTD is the only thing worth watching for you, they are clearly making shows a good chunk of the fee payers want to see. This is before you count the various news channels and radio shows.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #193 on: April 18, 2017, 09:03:28 am »
The fee is worth is for their wild life documentaries alone.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: April 18, 2017, 09:03:33 am »
It's disappointing they've lost a lot of their sports coverage over the last decade or so but it definitely shouldn't be scrapped. It's still the best outlet for news, radio and documentaries. I'd subscribe if they did do away with the license fee to a subscription based model but I think you'd see the quality of output dwindle across all channels to be honest. The BBC sets the standard and if you remove that you'd probably just see a lot more dumbed down TV.

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #195 on: April 18, 2017, 09:10:36 am »
Detectorists, Line of Duty, Car Share, Match of the Day, Eastenders, Panorama, Newsnight, Question Time, BBC Parliament, Free-to-air Childrens's TV, 6 radio stations, The Proms, amazing science and arts programmes, Ground-breaking Natural History documentaries... The BBC online presence is superb from the BBC news sites to the creation of iPlayer.

And on and on...

It's public service broadcasting that is the envy of the world and the important things it does won't be picked up by purely commercial enterprises.

It's £150 a year for all of that, free-to-air. To catch up with Game of Thrones will cost me half of that for just one programme. Or I have to subscribe to Murdoch's Sky. 
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: April 18, 2017, 09:14:10 am »
Its worth it and I am happy to pay for it. Also some of their TV shows are brilliant and the idea that they make dross is silly.

My main criticism of the BBC though is that they could do more to spread their jobs and opportunities around the country.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #197 on: April 18, 2017, 09:16:53 am »
My main criticism of the BBC though is that they could do more to spread their jobs and opportunities around the country.

They have just moved most of their staff from London to Salford for exactly that reason. Broadcasting is not a cottage industry, there needs to be creative hubs for economies of scale. Unless you want to pump more money in to duplicate functions regionally...

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: April 18, 2017, 09:27:28 am »
They have just moved most of their staff from London to Salford for exactly that reason. Broadcasting is not a cottage industry, there needs to be creative hubs for economies of scale. Unless you want to pump more money in to duplicate functions regionally...

The Salford move was great but there is a lot of administration, support and technology work that they carry out that could easily be spread amongst the many regional centres they have. They are doing more though so thats good.

Offline Sir Afghan

• "I, Stan!" Has the softest beard.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: April 18, 2017, 09:32:30 am »
I'd pay for it just for 6 music to be honest