Author Topic: The Top Six Mini-League Thread... Sponsored by TENA  (Read 343956 times)

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
Re: The Top Six Mini-League and the Run In...
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2017, 05:30:47 pm »
It's easier to remedy beating smaller teams than bigger ones IMO - put one player of a Suarez standard in your side and you destroy the minnows but you need to play as a tactical and team unit to conquer the big games. We need more players of Mane danger to put smaller sides to the sword.
I completely agree with your post but even if we don't find a 9 with more goals that everyone is now pining for there is a very easy solution to improving against lesser teams. We are conceding at a scandalous rate of 1.5 goals per game against bottom 13 teams for whole two seasons now. You can not possibly perform worse defensively than that which means there is a whole lot of room for improvement in that area. If we get this right even if we don't find that goalscorer we will improve tremendously next season and be up there challenging for real.

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2017, 05:36:56 pm »
It's great that we're actually still in a great position to get top 4, after almost undoing all the good work done earlier in the season. Everton coming up after the break, what a way to start - imagine the confidence a win against this lot could bring for the run in. It's looking really promising and it's difficult not to get a least excited.
The change is cast

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2017, 05:40:34 pm »
On paper it obviously looks a decent run but its really missing the point. Ive seen it all before on this forum, every june when fixtures are announced its either "ooh i fancy us in that run in" or "look at the mancs the spawny bastards" etc. On the rare occasions weve had something to play for after christmas the run ins are again picked apart. I remember everyone having chelsea down as certs in 13/14 but then as ever football took mad twists and turns and we all got it wrong. The truth is, and always is, that the good teams end up in the top positions and the not so good ones end up lower down. And as we have proven so well the last few seasons sometimes the likes of west brom away are a much harder fixture than man city.

If man utd are a proper team theyll get enough points from the run in based on good coaching and a good mentality. If arsenal are a proper team theyll get enough points, regardless of who they have to face. The best teams dig it out. And the exact same goes to us. If we are good enough then we will get there and its time for our players to prove they are good enough. Failing to make it from here pretty much confirms zero progress from last season and that its time to ship a lot of them out. Grinding it out and securing champions league football will represent progress and a lifeline. What happens between now and May, and indeed between then and August, is absolutely massive for this club. We cant afford to fuck it up.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:42:46 pm by alonsoisared »

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2017, 05:53:07 pm »
The 5 team thing if United wins the EL, if they don't win it, there are no 5 places for England in the CL even if Leicester win the CL.

You're wrong. The rule was changed after Spurs missed out a few years back when Chelsea won the CL.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2017, 06:04:55 pm »
You're wrong. The rule was changed after Spurs missed out a few years back when Chelsea won the CL.
Source?
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2017, 06:06:44 pm »
I completely agree with your post but even if we don't find a 9 with more goals that everyone is now pining for there is a very easy solution to improving against lesser teams. We are conceding at a scandalous rate of 1.5 goals per game against bottom 13 teams for whole two seasons now. You can not possibly perform worse defensively than that which means there is a whole lot of room for improvement in that area. If we get this right even if we don't find that goalscorer we will improve tremendously next season and be up there challenging for real.

Yup. Honestly don't get people fixating about our attack. Behind city we have the best attack in the league by ExpG. We have the actual best attack by goals scored. We've created chances agaisnt every type of team this season and the only time our attack has struggled is when 2 of our front 3 we're out. We need more depth so that doesn't happen but the idea that we should change the set up or type of player is just a bit weird
Our problem is conceding huge chances to terrible teams.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2017, 06:11:04 pm »

I'm not sure if he understands what you're trying to say.

CL winners get a guaranteed spot in CL
EL winners get a guaranteed spot in CL

Maximum amount of clubs a country can have in the CL is 5.

So as long Liverpool finish 4th and either United or Leicester don't win their competitions, we're good.

I don't think its rocket science.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2017, 06:48:45 pm »

Yup. Honestly don't get people fixating about our attack. Behind city we have the best attack in the league by ExpG. We have the actual best attack by goals scored. We've created chances agaisnt every type of team this season and the only time our attack has struggled is when 2 of our front 3 we're out. We need more depth so that doesn't happen but the idea that we should change the set up or type of player is just a bit weird
Our problem is conceding huge chances to terrible teams.

For me it's balance.

If you play an attacking wide midfield player at left back, push the other full back on, play three attacking mids and three attackers then you are highly likely to score goals. You are also highly likely to leave holes when you lose the ball, add in the lack of height in our side and is it any wonder we score lots but concede lots.

Bring in a prolific clinical forward and there is far less need to line up with such an unbalanced side. There is less need to push your full backs so high up the pitch and you can afford to have a more defensive midfield player infront of your centre backs.

A circa 06-09 Torres would be absolutely perfect and would make us better in both penalty areas.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #168 on: March 20, 2017, 06:53:47 pm »
For me it's balance.

If you play an attacking wide midfield player at left back, push the other full back on, play three attacking mids and three attackers then you are highly likely to score goals. You are also highly likely to leave holes when you lose the ball, add in the lack of height in our side and is it any wonder we score lots but concede lots.

Bring in a prolific clinical forward and there is far less need to line up with such an unbalanced side. There is less need to push your full backs so high up the pitch and you can afford to have a more defensive midfield player infront of your centre backs.

A circa 06-09 Torres would be absolutely perfect and would make us better in both penalty areas.
Spot on Al, been saying exactly the same myself.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #169 on: March 20, 2017, 07:00:59 pm »
Bring in a prolific clinical forward and there is far less need to line up with such an unbalanced side.
He had Lewandowski at Dortmund and Pisczszek and Schmelzer were just as aggressive position wise as Clyne and Milner. If we find such player in the summer we're still gonna be as open as we have been this two years regardless of whether we need to be so or not.

Offline Jayworden99

• Kemlynite
  • Up The Reds
« Reply #170 on: March 20, 2017, 07:02:33 pm »
He had Lewandowski at Dortmund and Pisczszek and Schmelzer were just as aggressive position wise as Clyne and Milner. If we find such player in the summer we're still gonna be as open as we have been this two years regardless of whether we need to be so or not.
It's just the way Klopp wants to play, go out and score more than the opposition no matter how many we concede

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #171 on: March 20, 2017, 07:04:42 pm »
Spot on Al, been saying exactly the same myself.

I think Chelsea are the perfect example. They have scored 2 goals less than us with a game in hand. The quality and finishing power of Costa and Hazard allow them to score loads of goals whilst playing three centre backs plus Kante and at times Matic.

We have conceded 36 Chelsea have conceded 21. If that doesn't show the difference then goals conceded against the bottom half is even more stark we have conceded 25 Chelsea have conceded 7. That is the difference between winning the League and scrambling for 4th place in a nutshell.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: March 20, 2017, 07:07:05 pm »
Going to be so much disappointment when we approach games in a similair way next season, because that's how Klopp does it.

Guardiola has that clinical striker yet still plays his super attacking way because that's just how he does things. Klopp had Lewandowski and his sides were still very attacking and still conceded a fair few goals, we're not going to see drastic changes just because a striker now scores 20 goals instead of spreading that out between 4 players. We will still have to create chances for him, we still will need our players to be in a position to win the ball high up the pitch.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #173 on: March 20, 2017, 07:09:27 pm »

They also had Sven Bender as a DM/ 3rd Centre back alongside the likes of a Sahin or Gundogan.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #174 on: March 20, 2017, 07:16:34 pm »
Going to be so much disappointment when we approach games in a similair way next season, because that's how Klopp does it.

Guardiola has that clinical striker yet still plays his super attacking way because that's just how he does things. Klopp had Lewandowski and his sides were still very attacking and still conceded a fair few goals, we're not going to see drastic changes just because a striker now scores 20 goals instead of spreading that out between 4 players. We will still have to create chances for him, we still will need our players to be in a position to win the ball high up the pitch.

That simply isn't true Dortmund conceded 22 in 10/11 and 25 in 11/12 both in 34 game seasons.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: March 20, 2017, 07:24:30 pm »
That simply isn't true Dortmund conceded 22 in 10/11 and 25 in 11/12 both in 34 game seasons.
Big outliers though, aren't they? and from 5-7 years ago.

His last three seasons at Dortmund including two with that clinical striker we need to turn it all round, and even the third was with Aubameyang up front for bits: 43, 38, 42.

If it all goes right then yeah i can envisage a scenario where we strangle teamss out of games and do a great job closing them out/finishing against goes our way and we hit a below 1 goal against per game, but it's not something Klopp has regularly managed.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #176 on: March 20, 2017, 07:24:53 pm »
I think Chelsea are the perfect example. They have scored 2 goals less than us with a game in hand. The quality and finishing power of Costa and Hazard allow them to score loads of goals whilst playing three centre backs plus Kante and at times Matic.

We have conceded 36 Chelsea have conceded 21. If that doesn't show the difference then goals conceded against the bottom half is even more stark we have conceded 25 Chelsea have conceded 7. That is the difference between winning the League and scrambling for 4th place in a nutshell.
As I said Al I've been saying exactly the same. Our centre backs are heavily exposed because they're the only defenders in the team, everyone else is attacking and in the opposition third. We're so unbalanced and I don't think we'd improve defensively with just the personnel change that some want.

The mediocre teams bypass our midfield with long balls and are straight onto our centre backs and goal keeper. We've got a soft centre that is constantly exposed. The bigger teams set up to play us at their own game but it won't take long before they start switching tactics and we'll find those games much harder. 

Our goals for column is expected to be high considering how we're set up but what's choking us is the goal difference.

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #177 on: March 20, 2017, 09:57:13 pm »
The way I see it we have a great opportunity of reaching our goal at the start of the season and gaining a place in the Champions League. With United's fixtures and Arsenal in disarray there is no good reason why we should be able to win 7/8 of our remaining fixtures which would get us that top four spot. We have a week to prepare for games so no excuse not to be doing our homework on the lesser sides and working out key strategic elements to exploit with the weapons we have in attack.

Every game is crucial and I hope the players will take each one as seriously as the fans & Klopp will be. Champions League is vital for the development of our squad going into next season, as well as the opportunity to see Klopp's Liverpool play against some of the very best, a competition I think we would excel in again under his leadership.

This could also represent a massive shift in power, with the potential of Arsenal dropping out and losing some of their best players in the summer and no CL footy to attract similar quality to replace them.

It's a nervous time for us fans though as the games we have coming up are the exact type we slip up in (everton aside). Players, supporters and coaches need to be fully focused in these games, for every single one.

A massive chance for Klopp to show people just how far he's taken us even in a short space of time. Under previous regimes this is a run in we would bottle, no question about it. We're about to find out if this is a new Liverpoool, or just the same old shit from the last decade.   

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #178 on: March 20, 2017, 11:37:54 pm »
The bottom line is, now our fixtures are in front of us, with none of the other top 5. If we don't manage top 4 we don't deserve CL football, simple as that. Forget everyone else, there are points to be dropped elsewhere. The matches below alone should give us an advantage.

City V United
Arsenal v City
United v Everton
Chelsea v City
United v Chelsea
Everton v Chelsea
Spurs v Arsenal
Arsenal v United
Spurs v United

I don't want 4th, 3rd or 2nd would be better, no qualifying game and also safe from the horrible prospect of United winning the europa and Leicester having a repeat miracle (thereby scuffing the 4th place CL slot)

To Paraphrase Gerard, 9 games from solid progress
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: March 21, 2017, 12:00:53 am »
Next up are the bitter bastards, we need to finish them off, and their shite about finishing in the top four.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: March 21, 2017, 04:04:20 pm »
Just looking at us vs Utd and the games we both have to play.

Utd

01.04. WBA (home)                                                            We have West Brom away.
04.04. Everton (home)                                                        We have Everton at home.
09.04. Sunderland (away)
13.04. Anderlecht (away)
16.04 Chelsea (home)
20.04. Anderlecht (home)
23.04. Burnley (away)
27.04. Man City (away)
30.04. Swansea (home)
04.05. Potential Semi Finals EL
06.05. Arsenal (away)
11.05. Potential Semi Finals EL
13.05. Tottenham (away)
21.05. Crystal Palace (home)                                            We have Crystal Palace away.

Plus the postponed away game at Southampton to fit in.     We also have Southampton, at home tho'.

So that leaves us

West Ham, Watford and Stoke away.  Bournmouth and Boro at home.

and that leaves them with ...

Sunderland, Burnley, Man City, Arsenal and Spurs away with Swansea and Chelsea at home. No gimme's, apart from Sunderland, there.

Plus 2 games with Anderlecht, probable 2 more games in semi as well and should be a final to tag on. The Chelsea game comes with both still having something to play for, good.

They have to make up 4 points. They'll do well to do it if we don't screw it up.
I think the Ev will be our toughest game because, it comes first, it's Everton, it comes so close to the break and we will have our brazilians coming in late (all going well).
Every game we win just ramps up the pressure on both Arsenal and Utd as they are playing catch up. It is absloutely vital we win.

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #181 on: March 21, 2017, 04:41:45 pm »
I went through all the remaining fixtures yesterday for the teams in 2nd to 6th (assumed Chelsea will finish 1st) and this is what I came up with:

2nd - Man City 78 points (currently 57 with 10 games left) 21 points from final 10 games           PPG - 2.1
3rd - Liverpool  77 points (currently 56 with 9 games left) 21 points from final 9 games              PPG -2.3
4th - Spurs      75 points (currently 59 with 10 games left) 16 points from final 10 games           PPG - 1.6
5th - Man Utd  73 points (currently 52 with 11 games left) 21 points from final 11 games           PPG - 1.9
6th - Arsenal   69 points (currently 50 points with 11 games left) 19 points from final 11 games PPG - 1.7
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline d.arn

• Kopite
« Reply #182 on: March 21, 2017, 05:09:57 pm »
I went through all the remaining fixtures yesterday for the teams in 2nd to 6th (assumed Chelsea will finish 1st) and this is what I came up with:

2nd - Man City 78 points (currently 57 with 10 games left) 21 points from final 10 games           PPG - 2.1
3rd - Liverpool  77 points (currently 56 with 9 games left) 21 points from final 9 games              PPG -2.3
4th - Spurs      75 points (currently 59 with 10 games left) 16 points from final 10 games           PPG - 1.6
5th - Man Utd  73 points (currently 52 with 11 games left) 21 points from final 11 games           PPG - 1.9
6th - Arsenal   69 points (currently 50 points with 11 games left) 19 points from final 11 games PPG - 1.7

I like your optimism, but I don't see what makes you think we'll raise our form from 1.9 PPG for the season to 2.3 over the last 9 games. Isn't it more reasonable to assume we'll continue at around 1.9? If we manage 2 PPG we'll get 74 points, which hopefully would be enough for top 4.

Offline Suedehead

• Smooth operator.......
  • Main Stander
  • Respectful MUFC fan // Long-time lurker
« Reply #183 on: March 21, 2017, 11:29:51 pm »
First post on the forum after lurking for years. Respectful United fan.

We won't be threatening the top four, no chance. We'll be playing every 3-4 days in April and we will drop points due to fatigue and essentially putting our eggs in the Europa League basket. Remember Liverpool doing similar last season and playing a very weakened side in a 3-1 defeat at Swansea; we will also come-a-cropper by making several changes from game to game - assuming we get past Anderlecht which won't be easy.

Between Liverpool, Arsenal and City for the 3rd and 4th spots in my opinion with Arsenal likely to drop out.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: March 22, 2017, 12:03:46 am »

We won't be threatening the top four, no chance. We'll be playing every 3-4 days in April and we will drop points due to fatigue and essentially putting our eggs in the Europa League basket. Remember Liverpool doing similar last season and playing a very weakened side in a 3-1 defeat at Swansea; we will also come-a-cropper by making several changes from game to game - assuming we get past Anderlecht which won't be easy.

Between Liverpool, Arsenal and City for the 3rd and 4th spots in my opinion with Arsenal likely to drop out.

Welcome dude.

Would like to think so but, as many have alluded to above, we have to do our stuff too. I think eventually something will give on Utd side, despite the squad size etc. If Liverpool can win, by hook or by crook the next 2-3 games then the pressure is going to build. The 4 points we have on ye, right now, I would take over your 2 games in hand. ye need points not games. Also ye have a lot of very tough fixtures rolling up, one after the other. Because of Europa I imagine ye will be playing after us on many weekends too.
it's up to us now I think but let's see. I do think our next game is massive. A win against Everton, especially given the timing, start of the weekend, will crank it up.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: March 22, 2017, 12:22:33 am »

Welcome and enjoy your stay. I agree that it will be quite difficult for you to finish in the top four due to the amount of fixtures you have, and at this point it seems easier to win the Europa league and directly qualify for the group stages(without the 4th place qualifiers) as oppose to finishing 4th or higher. You do have the depth but I Ibrahimovich is the source of your goals I can see Mourinho focusing on Europe now .

With that being said, that doesnt mean we will finish in 4th either. We have an easier schedule on paper, but we do things the hard way and there are several potential slip ups for us. We are an arsed backwards side that excell against the top sides and struggle with the bottom feeders.

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #186 on: March 22, 2017, 03:15:42 am »

I feel 74 points would guarantee a top 4 finish.

Liverpool would need to win 6 out of 9 games (require 2 pts per game/currently at 1.93 pts per game) 1 game against current top 7
Arsenal would need 8 wins out of 11 games (require 2.18 pts per game/currently at 1.85 pts per game) 4 games against current top 7
United would need 7 wins and a draw out of 11 games (require 2 pts per game/currently at 1.92 pts per game) 5 games against current top 7

Clearly you guys have done well since November to even have a chance for top 4.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #187 on: March 22, 2017, 09:57:40 am »
My head is saying we will probably scrape fourth. Man Utds april looks like a nightmare, just the wrong month for so many games, like the xmas fixtures with an extension. Spurs are not falling off a cliff after the Kane injury after all. We have to hope arsenals heads or hearts are gone. The small amount of games and pressure for the run in should be an advantage. All those top 7 games against each other as draws will do it I think - or am I required to go over to the dark side and want a slew of Chelsea wins?.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:59:44 am by markedasred »
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #188 on: March 22, 2017, 11:13:49 am »
The system Klopp has used works. When we've been at full strength we've beaten some very good teams, and teams that sit back and defend. We may concede more, but so what? The objective is to win.

If you look at when we've lost it's when the team hasn't been at full strength.

Burnley away - missing Matip and Mane
Bournemouth away - missing Matip and Phil
Southampton away (League Cup) - missing Matip, Henderson, Phil and Mane
Swansea home - missing Matip, Mane
Southampton home (League Cup) - missing Clyne, Wijnaldum (he was a late sub), and Mane
Wolves home (FA Cup) - missing loads of players
Hull away - missing Lovren, Wijnaldum (well he was on the bench)
Leicester away - missing Lovren, Henderson

I haven't done draws, but I'm sure there's a correlation there as well.

Look how important having both Matip and Lovren fit is (I won't be drawn on the Sakho debate).

Look how much we miss Mane.

The solution to our problem is we need more quality players. Not just more depth, but strength in depth. We also need to rotate more so players maintain form.

I'm not saying the system couldn't be improved, but I don't question it.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Rysoph76

• Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #189 on: March 22, 2017, 01:28:27 pm »
I like your optimism, but I don't see what makes you think we'll raise our form from 1.9 PPG for the season to 2.3 over the last 9 games. Isn't it more reasonable to assume we'll continue at around 1.9? If we manage 2 PPG we'll get 74 points, which hopefully would be enough for top 4.

Don't think this is too optimistic myself:

(H) Everton - 3
(H) Bournemouth - 3
(A) Stoke - 1
(A) WBA - 1
(H) Palace - 3
(A) Watford - 3
(H) Southampton - 3
(A) West Ham - 1
(H) Middlesborough - 3

We will be favourites with the bookies for each of these 9 games so no reason to think we can't at the very least win 6 and draw 3 of the last 9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: March 22, 2017, 01:44:56 pm »
You dont think that going undefeated for the remaining 9 matches (and including the last 3, totaling of 12 matches without a loss isnt too optimistic???

we will lose at least one match, I personally can see us losing 2 or 3.

Offline Rysoph76

• Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #191 on: March 22, 2017, 01:59:41 pm »
Well the last 3 is irrelevant in talking about the final 9 as far as i'm concerned. Obviously there is the chance we will lose but looking at the 9 games, I see no reason why we can't go undefeated if we don't lose key players to injuries. After the Everton game, we have 8 games in 50 days which is one game every 6.25 days so plenty of time to prepare for each game.

Look at the last 3 games of the season, I have gone for a draw at West Ham but both they and Southampton will have nothing to play for by that stage and Boro look like they will be down by the final game of the season. Let's be optimistic  :wave

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: March 22, 2017, 05:37:31 pm »
You dont think that going undefeated for the remaining 9 matches (and including the last 3, totaling of 12 matches without a loss isnt too optimistic???

We'll definitely drop points.  Unfortunately, we need to rely on the teams around us to do the same.  Thankfully, they play each other so it's a definite. 

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: March 23, 2017, 04:10:11 pm »
The good thing for us is that most of the remaining teams to play are from mid table, whose have not much to play. While we have to push for top four. I believe the motivation for us is enough to get us top 4 this season.
Believer

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: March 23, 2017, 04:55:10 pm »

I don't think going undefeated against those teams is a big ask, especially when supposedly inferior sides to us like Everton basically have no problems doing it  - the only side who is we lose to them we stilll would have taken more points off than everton did would be Boro, who we play last and they could already be down.  For reference, in the corresponding 9 matches earlier this year we took a total of 20 points to the same teams, with arguably a harder set of home/away ties (IMO out of our 3 hardest matches, everton and saints we've already played away (and beaten), WBA we've played at home (and beaten)) so to expect 21 points which the poster did doesn't seem optimistic to me, more realistic.  Who, honestly, do you "see" us losing 2 or 3 games against, as I can't believe the negativity against some pretty ordinary sides - I would agree if you said you could see us dropping points, as I do think we might be held to 2/3 draws due to our lack of finishing up front at the moment, but outright losing?

Offline Jayworden99

• Kemlynite
  • Up The Reds
« Reply #195 on: March 23, 2017, 04:59:26 pm »
The good thing for us is that most of the remaining teams to play are from mid table, whose have not much to play. While we have to push for top four. I believe the motivation for us is enough to get us top 4 this season.
Only worry is that's what we've struggled with this season

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #196 on: March 23, 2017, 05:01:12 pm »
I can't believe the negativity against some pretty ordinary sides - I would agree if you said you could see us dropping points, as I do think we might be held to 2/3 draws due to our lack of finishing up front at the moment, but outright losing?
It all depends on whether we'll rediscover that form against lesser sides we had up until 2017 or not. If we do we'll easily win all those games but this calendar year our record against them is WDLLL. For some reason we are clearly struggling real bad against them and the question is will Klopp find the solution and a right tactical tweak to address the problem or not.

Offline Le_Mot_Juste

• Pity that it is hidden in thousands of considerably less merit.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fully endorse my custom title
« Reply #197 on: March 24, 2017, 09:30:38 pm »
I don't think going undefeated against those teams is a big ask, especially when supposedly inferior sides to us like Everton basically have no problems doing it  - the only side who is we lose to them we stilll would have taken more points off than everton did would be Boro, who we play last and they could already be down.  For reference, in the corresponding 9 matches earlier this year we took a total of 20 points to the same teams, with arguably a harder set of home/away ties (IMO out of our 3 hardest matches, everton and saints we've already played away (and beaten), WBA we've played at home (and beaten)) so to expect 21 points which the poster did doesn't seem optimistic to me, more realistic.  Who, honestly, do you "see" us losing 2 or 3 games against, as I can't believe the negativity against some pretty ordinary sides - I would agree if you said you could see us dropping points, as I do think we might be held to 2/3 draws due to our lack of finishing up front at the moment, but outright losing?

Did you miss us losing against Burnley, Leicester, Hull City, Swansea and Bournemouth this year?

No losses to Man City, Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea.

The sides we're about to have a run of games against are the EXACT kind of 'ordinary' sides that we've been terrible against. So yes - I can realistically see a loss in practically any of those fixtures.

Hopefully we'll raise our game, as we do against top opposition - but there is absolutely nothing on the evidence of the last 2 years to suggest we will go on a run of 9 games without losing because we're not facing a top side. In fact, all recent evidence would point to the exact polar opposite conclusion.
To choose dogma and faith over doubt and experience is to throw out the ripening vintage and to reach greedily for the kool-aid.
- Hitch

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: March 24, 2017, 09:34:52 pm »
Did you miss us losing against Burnley, Leicester, Hull City, Swansea and Bournemouth this year?

No losses to Man City, Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea.

The sides we're about to have a run of games against are the EXACT kind of 'ordinary' sides that we've been terrible against. So yes - I can realistically see a loss in practically any of those fixtures.

Hopefully we'll raise our game, as we do against top opposition - but there is absolutely nothing on the evidence of the last 2 years to suggest we will go on a run of 9 games without losing because we're not facing a top side. In fact, all recent evidence would point to the exact polar opposite conclusion.

We beat Burnley, Leicester, Hull and Swansea this season, no reason why we can't do the same to Bournemouth and to any other smaller team.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: March 24, 2017, 11:03:22 pm »

I'm not being negative, just objective based on our strengths and weaknesses. The matches that concern me are all of the away matches. West Brom, and Watford in particular, both have physical players, both cause us problems when we play them at their ground [we won both matches at home] and both can fight and cause us problems. There's also West Ham, I can't remember the last time we beat them.

So all of those concern me.