Author Topic: Holiday 2017  (Read 43114 times)

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
Re: Holiday 2017
« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2017, 05:03:43 pm »
Struggling to find something "brilliant" for the end of the year in my price bracket.

In 2015 me and the missus had two weeks in Riviera Maya for just shy of £1000 each. All inclusive, amazing hotel, best two weeks of my life maybe. Certainly best holiday I've been on (and that takes into account breaking my nose 9 days in to the fortnight :lmao).

I look at the same holiday with the same operator at the same time for 2017, and it's shot up to £1500. Checked multiple websites and on multiple days and it's always £1400-1500 which means an extra grand between us. Just not affordable/couldn't justify the expense.

So have holidays to Mexico really got 50% more expensive in the last year?!

And if anyone has any recommendations for somewhere gorgeous and guaranteed sun, all in, for under a grand for the fortnight - let me know ;D
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: March 26, 2017, 06:21:18 pm »
Struggling to find something "brilliant" for the end of the year in my price bracket.

In 2015 me and the missus had two weeks in Riviera Maya for just shy of £1000 each. All inclusive, amazing hotel, best two weeks of my life maybe. Certainly best holiday I've been on (and that takes into account breaking my nose 9 days in to the fortnight :lmao).

I look at the same holiday with the same operator at the same time for 2017, and it's shot up to £1500. Checked multiple websites and on multiple days and it's always £1400-1500 which means an extra grand between us. Just not affordable/couldn't justify the expense.

So have holidays to Mexico really got 50% more expensive in the last year?!

And if anyone has any recommendations for somewhere gorgeous and guaranteed sun, all in, for under a grand for the fortnight - let me know ;D

Los Gigantes Tenerife, £750 each all inclusive end november/early December, then you need to sort flights, another £4-500 http://www.belivehotels.com/hotel/EN/ficha_hotel/costa_los_gigantes/descripcion.jsp

Stayed here in January 2015, food was decent, heated pool, winter weather usually good on the island
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2017, 07:44:34 am »
Any ideas for city breaks around October/November? Looking for cheap flights ideally

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2017, 08:04:46 am »
Any ideas for city breaks around October/November? Looking for cheap flights ideally

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Just came back from krakow last weekend after 3 nights , everyone who had been before only had good things to say about it and got to agree . 13 of us went as a family and it was brilliant . The square in the centre was superb for a drink and some food , went to auswitcz and the salt mines and schindlers museum . Streets are lovely and clean and flights were £40 return from Liverpool hotel £70 a night ( 4 star ) Inc superb breakfast .

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2017, 09:11:33 am »
Just came back from krakow last weekend after 3 nights , everyone who had been before only had good things to say about it and got to agree . 13 of us went as a family and it was brilliant . The square in the centre was superb for a drink and some food , went to auswitcz and the salt mines and schindlers museum . Streets are lovely and clean and flights were £40 return from Liverpool hotel £70 a night ( 4 star ) Inc superb breakfast .

Cheers mate. what site did you use for flights?

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: March 27, 2017, 10:54:27 am »

Google Flights is one of the best places to find the cheapest flights. It'll find you the cheapest option between city pairs and if you're flexible on dates, click on the rough date you want to go, then use the "flexible dates" or "price graph" options to see exactly when is cheapest. Also put in "Nearby Airports" if, for example, you're in the North West and can fly from LPL/MAN just as easily.

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #166 on: March 27, 2017, 01:18:17 pm »
https://www.thomascook.com/destinations/cuba/holguin/playa-pesquero/playa-costa-verde/

Have a look at that, 2 weeks all inclusive for under a grand a person :wave
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 01:20:04 pm by Titi Camara »

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #167 on: March 27, 2017, 01:46:40 pm »
https://www.thomascook.com/destinations/cuba/holguin/playa-pesquero/playa-costa-verde/

Have a look at that, 2 weeks all inclusive for under a grand a person :wave

Never thought about Cuba, I'll take a look, cheers mate!

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2017, 02:01:38 pm »
Never thought about Cuba, I'll take a look, cheers mate!
We are literally just on the cusp of booking there for a holiday in September 8)

Won't be quite as polished as the hotels in Mexico but it's great value for money :wave

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: March 27, 2017, 02:21:57 pm »
Cuba is great agreed. We loved it and I wanna go back.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2017, 06:22:00 pm »
Friday August 18th till the 21st

Is it worth getting that t10? Or the other card which has discounts on and you get unlimited travel?

We wanna just go general sight seeing so gonna take in all the architecture but if there is anywhere off the beaten path that is nice then that too and somewhere you can have a few bevvies along the way.

Looks like Festa major de Gracia is happening around those dates so you've struck lucky.

T-10 is all you need, you'll spend most of the time walking anyway and any cards with free transport, you'd need to visit loads and make loads of trips on transport to make it worthwhile.

Any place you want to go book online, might get you discounts but more important is you can skip any queues. Don't miss out on Hospital Sant Pau https://www.santpaubarcelona.org/en/visits

And http://cccc.cat/ will advise what Human Towers (Castellers) might be on during the time you're there. Check closer to the time in case any extra one appear. I can advise which ones might be best as well if any are on. 19th August there is an event as part of the Gracia festival. Take water...you'll need it. Mind if it rains it'll get cancelled.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 06:27:57 pm by Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆ »
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2017, 07:19:09 pm »

Used ryanair for the flights and stayed here
http://www.goldentulipkrakowkazimierz.com/ can't rate the hotel highly enough , couple of years old , five/ ten minute walk to the square and in a decent area itself .staff were brilliant as was the breakfast , buffet style but catered for everyone .

Booked the transfers and aushwitz/ saltmine tour through these and again can fault them were early every time for pick ups and Inc a packed lunch on the tour

Will be cold in novemeber but fine if you wrap up warm , the cages in the square all have heaters around the tables . Lovely place

http://krakowshuttle.com/?gclid=CKb52omk99ICFfgV0wodSh0ACA

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2017, 08:42:53 pm »
Looks like Festa major de Gracia is happening around those dates so you've struck lucky.

T-10 is all you need, you'll spend most of the time walking anyway and any cards with free transport, you'd need to visit loads and make loads of trips on transport to make it worthwhile.

Any place you want to go book online, might get you discounts but more important is you can skip any queues. Don't miss out on Hospital Sant Pau https://www.santpaubarcelona.org/en/visits

And http://cccc.cat/ will advise what Human Towers (Castellers) might be on during the time you're there. Check closer to the time in case any extra one appear. I can advise which ones might be best as well if any are on. 19th August there is an event as part of the Gracia festival. Take water...you'll need it. Mind if it rains it'll get cancelled.

Thanks for the info

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2017, 08:53:11 pm »
Just back from 3 days in Berlin.

Bought a 3 day travel pass and explored the city. One of the highlights was visiting the Olympic Stadium. There was a testimonial game for Marcelhino (didn't know who he was) and the crowd was up for it throughout. Free flowing beer at the game and a friendly atmosphere. All wrapped up in a historic stadium. And it finished 8-7.

The graffiti around the city is something to behold in a good way.

Went to Potsdam one of the days which was a highlight too. Beautiful palaces.

And the bakerys, my god the bakerys!

Massive blisters on my feet but so worth it :)
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2017, 08:58:01 pm »
Thanks for the info

If you need anything specific or to check places you've found for bars/food etc just drop me a PM.

I'm back there in April.

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2017, 08:59:27 pm »
This years trips done and due.

Barcelona in January
Madrid in February - did Jarama Battlefield and University City in relation to Spanish Civil War
Easter - Barcelona
July - Duesseldorf
September - Barcelona for La Merce (large festival)
November - Bilbao

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: March 28, 2017, 10:40:46 am »
This years trips done and due.

Barcelona in January
Madrid in February - did Jarama Battlefield and University City in relation to Spanish Civil War
Easter - Barcelona
July - Duesseldorf
September - Barcelona for La Merce (large festival)
November - Bilbao
I'm guessing you like Spanish wine? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline stevienash

• Legacy Fan
  • 'White liquid in a bottle has to be milk.'"
« Reply #177 on: March 29, 2017, 08:42:59 am »
I've just booked 4 nights in Krackov in June. Also picked up tickets for the England Under 21's European Championship games against Sweden and Slovakia

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: March 29, 2017, 09:21:03 am »
Cuba booked for September 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: March 29, 2017, 10:10:41 am »

Titi. I can highly recommend booking a vintage car to take you to the airport or for a night out, whatever. Not much more expensive than a regular taxi.

One of the waiters in our hotel booked one for us with his mate.  It was a pristine condition, 1956 Chevrolet Bel Air.  Really cool car!

The best taxi I have ever taken and cruising around in it, Sat in the front seat, warm wind blowing into my face, Salsa music blasting out. It turned into one of those totally unforgettable holiday moments. :)

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: March 29, 2017, 10:14:23 am »
Titi. I can highly recommend booking a vintage car to take you to the airport or for a night out, whatever. Not much more expensive than a regular taxi.

One of the waiters in our hotel booked one for us with his mate.  It was a pristine condition, 1956 Chevrolet Bel Air.  Really cool car!

The best taxi I have ever taken and cruising around in it, Sat in the front seat, warm wind blowing into my face, Salsa music blasting out. It turned into one of those totally unforgettable holiday moments. :)
Sold 8) ;D :wave

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #181 on: March 29, 2017, 10:43:44 am »

Did you go for the hotel above mate? Does look incredibly good value. Cuba's always appealed.

Only thing is I'd really like to see Havana

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #182 on: March 29, 2017, 10:58:14 am »
Paphos booked for August ;D

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: March 29, 2017, 11:12:55 am »
Did you go for the hotel above mate? Does look incredibly good value. Cuba's always appealed.

Only thing is I'd really like to see Havana
Went for summit slightly more expensive but not much, £1200 PP all inclusive. Even at those prices it's crackers!
Paphos booked for August ;D
You'll get cooked mate, literally! ;D ;D ;D 8) ;) :wave

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: March 29, 2017, 11:34:52 am »
Which resort you on Titi? We stopped in Varadero.

Did the day trip to Havana in a private taxi with a guide. Fantastic place.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: March 29, 2017, 11:38:18 am »
Which resort you on Titi? We stopped in Varadero.

Did the day trip to Havana in a private taxi with a guide. Fantastic place.
Looks like we share the same impeccable taste my friend, Varadero it is ;) 8) :wave

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #186 on: March 29, 2017, 03:59:40 pm »
And here was my slumming it in the casa particulares and getting the same 50 year old cars as Pete but without air conditioning, or windows, or handles in some cases.

Mental, but amazing place.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: March 29, 2017, 04:22:33 pm »
And here was my slumming it in the casa particulares and getting the same 50 year old cars as Pete but without air conditioning, or windows, or handles in some cases.

Mental, but amazing place.

Ahhhh but Bry, you were in proper Cuba there though mate.  :)

Our guide took us to a cracking little Pina Colada stand in Havana where the bar lad knocked a PC up in front of you then stuck it on the table along with a bottle of rum for you to use as liberally as your taste buds allowed.

Sat in the Havana evening sun watching the world go by sipping on real Pina Colada's. Majestic and I will be going back.

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #188 on: March 31, 2017, 11:24:49 am »

Managed to get flights for £57 for oct-nov for 3 nights. thanks for the info mate. will check out the hotel you suggested

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #189 on: April 7, 2017, 03:49:33 pm »
i am best man for my brother have been organising a stag do for my bro in cardiff on the bank holiday weekend at the end of april. We have booked most the stuff already like its a knockout, go karting and applied for guestlists at tiger tiger and przym. Also trying to get a table at "Got Beef". has anyone got any good recommendations for a stag in cardiff? maybe a good sports bar to watch the footie on that weekend (think its spurs arsenal).
Thanks!

Online owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: April 10, 2017, 01:06:29 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good website for booking villas in Spain?

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: April 10, 2017, 01:47:24 pm »

I used these last year for a family holiday in the Costa Blanca:

https://www.poolvillas.com/holiday-rentals

They have loads of villas in Spain. We had good service and it all seemed secure and above board (like we got our deposit, 1000 Euro, back very quickly).

My advice would be to cross reference reviews of the villa you decide on, somewhere like trip advisor - you get more balance on trip advisor. My other top tip, if you go to the costa blanca,  is hire a chef to come over and make you Paella one night in the outdoor area - they bring all the gear, food, dessert (no washing up) and wine. And it's a night off from the BBQ grill / driving out to find a restaurant (and I found it was a good price - comparable to going out to a decent restaurant).

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: April 11, 2017, 04:17:25 pm »

Airbnb?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #193 on: April 12, 2017, 11:19:26 am »
Barcelona booked for the second time this year at end of May for 3 nights.

Dubai booked (Atlantis, The Palm) for 5 nights at the start of July.

Still picking out where exactly we want to go for a bit of a US trip for 10-12 days in early August. Thinking of flying to Boston and drive between there and DC, stopping at Philadelphia. Possibly NYC too, but think I'd rather go and do that properly over 4 days or so than squeeze it in here. Then likely we'll switch to a train, going from DC and ending up in New Orleans for a few days, haven't decided just yet which route to take and which cities to stop at along the way - too many places! Then we're flying straight from there to Mexico for a week on the beach to recover and relax a bit.

Iceland will be getting done later this year too but not exactly sure when that'll get squeezed in.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: April 12, 2017, 12:29:45 pm »
So I'm supposed to be taking my other half away for a long weekend to Tallinn the first weekend in June for her 30th. But looks like I'll be on crutches during that little break. I'm desperately hoping I'll be OK to go, but I'm still waiting for a date for an op which will have me on crutches for a minimum of 4 weeks, then a single crutch afterwards for 2 weeks. Argh! Op needs to be in the next 3 weeks or the pre-op runs out, so desperate for it to be sooner rather than later.

After that, looks like a big trip to Central America in around November for us. I was bidding on this travel auction site last week and won a 3 night stay at a luxury beach resort in Nicaragua for £80 ;D (face value is around £400) so we're gonna plan a longer trip around that. We'll almost certainly spend a week in Guatemala, 5 days in Nicaragua, and then possibly one or two of El Salvador / Honduras / Costa Rica as well, depending on the flight / cost situation. Quite random as I met .adam at the match the other week and he was raving about Central America. So tips please, mate! :D :wave
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: April 12, 2017, 12:30:04 pm »
Dubai booked (Atlantis, The Palm) for 5 nights at the start of July.

Fancy pants!

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: April 12, 2017, 02:45:21 pm »
.... Guatemala ...So tips please, mate! :D :wave 

Excellent choice, Rhi. Glad my recommendation didn't fall on deaf ears!Best places to visit are:

Antigua

Amazing former colonial city. Most of the original buildings are still intact, the ones that aren't were most probably destroyed by one of the many earthquakes to have affected the area over the years.

Some fantastic food and just a really nice place to spend a day or so.

Lake Atitlan

I believe it was Aldous Huxley who referred to it as being like Lake Como but with the added bonus of volcanoes. It's genuinely amazing.You can hike one of the volcanoes (San Pedro, I think) which is a nice couple of hour trek. Zipping around the lake on lanchas costs a quid or so a time and is a good way of exploring the various towns around the lake shore.

I would very much recommend staying in Casa del Mundo. It's a lovely hotel set into the hillside and the views are genuinely phenomenal. Dinner each night is a communal affair and gives you the opportunity to chat to other travelers.

Swimming in the lake is great fun, as is hiring canoes for the day and going off for an explore.

Semuc Champey

Imagine a river which flows down from one rock pool to the next. Imagine the river is so clear you can see the bottom. Imagine the pools were linked by naturally formed 'water slides'. This is Semuc Champey's main attraction in a nutshell.

Lanquin is the nearest town and there are plenty of hotels in the area. We stayed in Utopia Eco Hotel which is right on the river. The benefit of being on the river is that you can tube back from Semuc Champey. Pretty awesome experience.

As well as the river, there is cave exploration which is good fun.

Tikal

One of the best Mayan sites. Less touristy than Cichen Itza and much more rugged. It's basically in the middle of the jungle - you can hear the monkeys screaming away in the background.

I'll PM you a link to my Flickr - all my photos are on there and you can see if anything appeals!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 03:02:01 pm by .adam »

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #197 on: April 12, 2017, 03:39:11 pm »
France for a month in May then perhaps Swiss for a week and India in October then straight to Thailand for November.   

...........  What ??
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: April 13, 2017, 09:42:53 pm »
I'll PM you a link to my Flickr - all my photos are on there and you can see if anything appeals!

Nice one! Thanks for that. How long did you spend in Guatemala? I was thinking a week but having looked into the travel involved, it might need to be more.

Offline Hash91

• Anny Roader
« Reply #199 on: April 14, 2017, 04:39:35 am »
Coming down to Scotland for 4 days from 3rd to 7th May with my family (extended family of 10). Will be visiting the UK for the first time. While our UK itinerary seems sorted, with the help of relatives staying in London and Leicester, I need some help with Scotland.

We have planned for 2 days Highlands and 2 days Edinburgh during the 4 days. We land in Edinburgh on 3rd May early morning and have rented out cars from the airport and will be driving around. Shall immediately head towards Inverness. Need suggestions as what could be covered on the way to the Inverness. Shall stay near Inverness 3rd and 4th night. 5th morning we push off for Edinburgh. Do we take a different route back to Edinburgh or the same one? If there is a different route, what could be covered here?

5-6th May reserved for Edinburgh. Other than Edinburgh castle, which are the must-visit places in and around Edinburgh? We leave in the wee hours of 7th. Would really appreciate and suggestions. Thanks!