Author Topic: Christian Benteke  (Read 14190 times)

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
Christian Benteke
« on: August 21, 2016, 04:25:46 pm »
Really good player, just not the type we needed in our system, especially after the change of manager.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Christian Benteke
« Reply #1 on: September 2, 2016, 03:53:35 pm »
Benteke, who was bought by Brendan Rodgers from Aston Villa for £32.5million 12 months earlier, insists he has no regrets about joining the Reds.

“I don’t see my time there as a failure,” he said.

“When I signed there was another coach and with him it might have turned out differently.
“I did not fit the tactical system of the new coach. That was not easy mentally because I was left to fight a losing battle.

“But I must not look for excuses. I could also have done better in those few minutes I got. I have not performed as expected.

“Liverpool is a big club and there you do not go looking for the coach, knocking on the door of his office. I am grown man and I was able to deal with it.

“He had a particular system and I did not fit in. It was up to me to find a solution. These are things that happen in a career. There are no regrets.

“Crystal Palace is a good step for me. I am now on a team that might not have the same ambitions as Liverpool, but I can play well. I really want to show what I can do this season.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/christian-benteke-klopps-arrival-led-11822055#rlabs=8%20rt$sitewide%20p$5

What a great guy. Really impressed reading those comments, hope he smashes it at Palace (excluding the games against us of course).

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #2 on: September 2, 2016, 05:51:10 pm »
Top lad

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3 on: September 3, 2016, 11:29:57 am »
He'll do very well with that attitude to be fair, seems to have his head screwed on
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline DredzofOz

• Boys Pen
  • LFC all the way from Sydney
« Reply #4 on: September 3, 2016, 11:33:23 am »
I respect his comments. Wish him all the best.

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #5 on: September 6, 2016, 09:25:22 am »
http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/liverpool-jurgen-klopp-transfer-window-inside-story/84124

Could have left in January for 45 million to a chinese club. 45 fucking million.

What is now abundantly clear, if it wasn't already, is that Klopp knows his own mind and knows how he wants to work and who he wants to work with. Christian Benteke didn't fit in with any of his manager's ideas and so was sold with Liverpool achieving their £30 million valuation of the forward who had rejected the opportunity to move to China six months earlier when a Super League club had offered £45 million for his services.

Oh well :'(

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #6 on: September 6, 2016, 09:33:33 am »
http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/liverpool-jurgen-klopp-transfer-window-inside-story/84124

Could have left in January for 45 million to a chinese club. 45 fucking million.

Oh well :'(

Whilst the money would have been nice it still shows he is a professional, I wouldn't have gone either in his place, he is young and a good player, that is a league where mercs and has beens go to die, not people in his position that still have ambition.

His comments are classy, good luck, Benteke!

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #7 on: September 6, 2016, 09:45:19 am »
Whilst the money would have been nice it still shows he is a professional, I wouldn't have gone either in his place, he is young and a good player, that is a league where mercs and has beens go to die, not people in his position that still have ambition.

His comments are classy, good luck, Benteke!

Nah not blaming him either. Just the thought of getting 45 million for a player of his calibre(no disrespect to benteke of course) astounds me.

The chinese clubs are crazy

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #8 on: September 6, 2016, 09:45:50 am »
Yeah don't mind that to be honest. If we got offered £45 million by a good club and he dug his heels in then that'd be slightly annoying but can't knock the lad for refusing to go to China.

Balotelli on the other hand, that would be frustrating.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 03:34:35 pm »
"It was an honour to play for Liverpool, such a big club with such a big history," Benteke told Sky Sports.
"I didn't play or perform as I wanted. It was my decision to go there and I don't regret anything.
"I didn't have the chances to perform. I learned that's football. That is why I have no anger against anyone there.
"[The] frustration is at myself that in the short time I had to play I didn't do it as I wanted. Brendan [Rodgers] did everything for me to come there, then I had my injury and I couldn't help. I wanted to do more."

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 04:37:17 pm »
Classy bloke. I have no great admiration for Palace but I hope he does well there.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 09:13:22 pm »
i hope that is the last that we hear from him/he is questioned re his liverpool days. he is a palace player now

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 10:15:26 pm »
Class player that just didn't fit into Klopp's plans. Wish him luck.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 8, 2016, 11:43:40 pm »
My Palace friends (I know, eww, right?) are in love with this guy. Very much a win-win-win deal for the clubs and player. Add an extra -win for agents if you like, but fuck them.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 9, 2016, 06:41:03 pm »
I'm not looking forward to when we next face him, he always scores against us!

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #15 on: October 9, 2016, 08:16:01 pm »

Last season was the 1st one we beat Villa home and away was probably why.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 9, 2016, 09:55:30 pm »
Not a terrible player ... Far from it. Not right for us though. Glad we got rid though and didn't want him here in the first place.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 9, 2016, 09:58:05 pm »
I like Benteke. I'm not sad we sold him as it was the right thing for all parties but he's acted with dignity since leaving.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #18 on: October 9, 2016, 10:03:08 pm »
Terrible player... glad we seen the back of him and he found his level at Palace

Hmmm. One for the possible wum pile.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #19 on: October 9, 2016, 11:26:17 pm »

To be fair we sold the centreback who Benteke used to bully everytime.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #20 on: October 9, 2016, 11:30:43 pm »
Hmmm. One for the possible wum pile.
Looks pretty conclusive if you ask me.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 9, 2016, 11:55:56 pm »
Are you trying to say Benteke was good? He was terrible the worst signing in our history

How the hell could you possibly say he was worse than a Balotelli or Downing or Markovic? He scored some important goals for us at least
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 9, 2016, 11:56:08 pm »
Are you trying to say Benteke was good? He was terrible the worst signing in our history

Not even close.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2016, 12:08:43 am »
Balotelli was actually quite talented but never fitted in with his attitude... Benteke was just a donkey

Beneteke got 9 goals in 29 games, including winners against Bordeaux, Bournemouth and Palace. Balotelli got 4 goals in 28 games, 1 of which was a penalty.

I don't know where Balotelli's talent was, because he showed nowhere near as much as Benteke did for Liverpool
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2016, 12:11:17 am »
Balotelli was actually quite talented but never fitted in with his attitude... Benteke was just a donkey

So you blame a player for not being a good fit, but forgive a player whose problems with us were attitude (and also talent) related. Bizarre.

As for worst signing, noone comes close to Diouf. Lots of money, plus a thundercunt

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2016, 12:13:04 am »
So you blame a player for not being a good fit, but forgive a player whose problems with us were attitude (and also talent) related. Bizarre.

As for worst signing, noone comes close to Diouf. Lots of money, plus a thundercunt

Definitely a WUM. They've taken to having a go at Rafa now, best just to not respond now.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2016, 12:23:54 am »

El Hadji Diouf, Salif Diao, come to mind before Benteke. fuck me sideways.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2016, 12:48:49 am »
Balotelli has shown his talent since he left Liverpool with Nice, Benteke on the other hand has scored a few headers with Palace, no real talent to do. Both were bad signings but at least with Balotelli, had he been managed right he would've been a good signing. Rodgers was just a clown, got desperate and signed a player he didn't even know how to manage.
I feel sorry for you that you have fuck all going on in your life that you have to come on a opposition forum to 'stir shit up'. Do yourself a favour and fucking do one as your fooling no one ya daft twat.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2016, 01:34:48 am »
I feel sorry for you that you have fuck all going on in your life that you have to come on a opposition forum to 'stir shit up'. Do yourself a favour and fucking do one as your fooling no one ya daft twat.

Well said. ;D

Bitter gobshite no. 8369618187 has been removed.  There's been more on here the past few months than ever before feels like.

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2016, 01:26:36 pm »
Well said. ;D

Bitter gobshite no. 8369618187 has been removed.  There's been more on here the past few months than ever before feels like.
That one has to be the most obvious one I've seen out of the latest ones. Strange people.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2016, 01:33:50 pm »
Well said. ;D

That one wasn't even any fun. When they posted on the Torres thread the other day I thought it was a wum immediately. Seen the Rafa comments and knew they weren't going to last very long.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Lemieux

• Kopite
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2016, 12:52:24 am »
Very glad to see him doing so well.  Hat trick today.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2016, 01:38:41 am »
How the hell could you possibly say he was worse than a Balotelli or Downing or Markovic? He scored some important goals for us at least

So did downing but feel free to have a go eh.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2016, 03:20:40 am »

Yeah the intention of that post was totally to have a go at Stewart Downing  ::)

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2016, 03:25:16 am »
Club football can't come back soon enough. :D
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2016, 10:07:21 am »
Scored in 8 seconds last night, the quickest in a competitive international.

True that. Downing and Benteke are both the sort of players who may well have been kept as good squad options at City, Chelsea, United, even Arsenal. Unfortunately we always sell these type of players - those on big wages who are worth something in the transfer market but don't quite fit in for us - due to our smaller wage budget to allow us to bring someone else in.

I find overt criticism of these types of players cringeworthy without appreciating that context. They weren't success but they weren't outright flops either IMO
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 10:09:00 am by bcurtis92 »

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2016, 11:43:02 am »
Scored in 8 seconds last night, the quickest in a competitive international.

True that. Downing and Benteke are both the sort of players who may well have been kept as good squad options at City, Chelsea, United, even Arsenal. Unfortunately we always sell these type of players - those on big wages who are worth something in the transfer market but don't quite fit in for us - due to our smaller wage budget to allow us to bring someone else in.

I find overt criticism of these types of players cringeworthy without appreciating that context. They weren't success but they weren't outright flops either IMO

Downing was nowhere near good enough to play for a CL level team, squad player or not, hence why he had to drop down to the Championship to get a game at a club.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2016, 11:46:13 am »
Downing was nowhere near good enough to play for a CL level team, squad player or not, hence why he had to drop down to the Championship to get a game at a club.

He was one of West Ham's better players when he left us and got himself back in the England squad. Dropping down to the Championship was clearly more about moving home in his thirties on a decent wedge.

He would have been a decent option for us in 13-14 particularly in the diamond. Personally thought once we actually moved him to the right (the position he played for Villa which led to us signing him) he always looked very decent.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2016, 11:54:00 am »
He was one of West Ham's better players when he left us and got himself back in the England squad. Dropping down to the Championship was clearly more about moving home in his thirties on a decent wedge.

He would have been a decent option for us in 13-14 particularly in the diamond. Personally thought once we actually moved him to the right (the position he played for Villa which led to us signing him) he always looked very decent.

He got 0 goals 0 assists in 36 league games in his first season, and left the club on 3 goals in 65 league games. He was a total flop, especially for the price paid, no harm in admitting that

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2016, 11:59:32 am »
He got 0 goals 0 assists in 36 league games in his first season, and left the club on 3 goals in 65 league games. He was a total flop, especially for the price paid, no harm in admitting that

We won't go on and on about it as it's the wrong thread for a start and secondly I don't care much for Downing, but it annoys me how cup games just get lost in history when statistics etc are brought up. He was MOTM in the League Cup final and scored a few important goals in the FA Cup IIRC. (The same happened to Lallana last season - everyone bashing his league figures while ignoring he was our top scorer in Europe.)

That said he was undoubtedly poor overall in his first season but we bought a talented, multi-functional player and basically just told him to beat his full-back on the outside and whip a cross in. It was symptomatic of Kenny's reductive tactics and only our centre backs really thrived in that campaign.

He looked much more like the player we signed once he got in under Rodgers. Not worth £20m, not good enough for the first team, but I stand by my comment that with a bigger wage budget he'd have remained a decent option for us.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 12:01:19 pm by bcurtis92 »