Poll

How do we think the UK Will do - Assuming Brexit happens (Hard or Soft..)

Things will be brilliant from the word go and will get better every week!
Things will start off a bit dodgy, but over time things gradually improve and get better
Things will start off dodgy and remain that way for the forseeable future
Things will start off dodgy and then decline slightly with things getting a bit worse
Complete clusterfuck from start to finish

Author Topic: Brexit - doesn't really seem to be a very good idea does it? (*)  (Read 870089 times)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brexit - What would those in power get out of it? The Fallout Thread..
« Reply #4400 on: April 22, 2017, 10:34:06 am »
It certainly helps explain why May isn't taking any questions from the public.
she doesn't need to, she could kick a five year old up the arse in Trafalgar Square and it wouldn't cost her a single vote

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #4402 on: April 22, 2017, 06:45:31 pm »

Frottage's brown nosing has come to nothing.

Love Liz's smile next to that headline - think there might be a closet Remainer in the Times editorial staff.....

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4405 on: April 25, 2017, 04:15:25 pm »
Nestlé set to cut 300 UK jobs and move production of Blue Riband bars to Poland

GMB and Unite unions slammed the company for the move

Nestlé announced proposals to move production of the iconic Blue Riband chocolate bar from the UK to Poland resulting in around 300 job losses, following increasing import costs and uncertainty over how the Government will handle Brexit.

The GMB and Unite unions slammed the company for the move.

Tim Roache, GMB General Secretary, said: “To shift the production of an iconic British brand like Blue Riband to Poland is completely unacceptable.

“Nestlé are throwing people’s lives, and those of their families, into turmoil for the sake of increasing profit margins.

“These factories should be exporting chocolate – not people’s jobs.

“The Government needs to step in before it’s too late – and reassure millions of workers across the country this is not just the tip of the Brexit iceberg.”

​Nestlé said the proposals would be subject to a 45-day consultation period.

It said the proposals span four different sites: York, Fawdon, Halifax and Girvan, with job losses predominantly to hit York and Fawdon in Newcastle, through 2017 and 2018.

The company said it expected that these would be achieved through voluntary redundancies.

The proposed changes include amended and standardised shift patterns at each factory and, at Fawdon, the transfer of Blue Riband production to a Nestlé factory in Poland. This would mean being able to “simplify and focus Fawdon’s operation”, the company said.

These proposals are being made by Nestlé UK to ensure that these sites "operate more efficiently and remain competitive in a rapidly changing external environment".

The company added: “Nestlé UK appreciates that this is an uncertain time for employees and will work hard to ensure all are supported through this difficult period.”

Rachell Maskell, whose York constituency will see 143 of the 298 job cuts said: “Workers and their families have the right to be angry that Nestlé  is cutting jobs in York. Rowntree’s was a family firm who invested in jobs, homes and benefits to workers and their families, Nestle has lost the significance of the company by telling 143 workers that they are no longer needed at their factory.

“I will do everything possible to get the Government to secure these manufacturing jobs in York. I have already written to the Prime Minister and Secretary of State, to highlight the devastating impact that these job losses will have on workers and their families, on the business, on York’s economy and on the wider community. I am calling on the Prime minister to intervene and avert these job losses.”

“With the cost of imports, and uncertainty that has risen over the Government’s Brexit strategy, businesses are seeing a lack of confidence in their markets, and in their future in the UK. As EU negotiations commence, it is vital that the Government make urgent changes to its approach to safeguard the future of UK manufacturing."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/nestle-cut-300-jobs-workforce-blue-riband-production-poland-eu-brexit-a7701206.html

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4406 on: April 25, 2017, 07:58:00 pm »
This trickle of exporting jobs will become a flood. I wonder when Brexiteers (and those who acquiesce - Corbyn and Joe Public - repeating that 'will of the people' nonsense like robots) will begin to get it? I fear the realisation will only occur after the two years have expired, there is no EU deal, the UK is being sued for monies owed to the EU, and Argentina are blocking the UK even being able to make use of WTO tariffs. Oh joy.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4407 on: April 25, 2017, 08:14:02 pm »
This trickle of exporting jobs will become a flood. I wonder when Brexiteers (and those who acquiesce - Corbyn and Joe Public - repeating that 'will of the people' nonsense like robots) will begin to get it? I fear the realisation will only occur after the two years have expired, there is no EU deal, the UK is being sued for monies owed to the EU, and Argentina are blocking the UK even being able to make use of WTO tariffs. Oh joy.
Sadly, I wouldn't take it for granted, the leave campaign are going to argue we have to give Brexit at least 7 yrs before we see the benefits.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4408 on: April 25, 2017, 08:27:04 pm »
Sadly, I wouldn't take it for granted, the leave campaign are going to argue we have to give Brexit at least 7 yrs before we see the benefits.

I wouldn't have thought I was being 'optimistic' in my last comments, but you may be correct! I think 'hate' (and it is mostly hate) for Johnny Foreigner can carry some people a long way into insane actions and beliefs.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #4409 on: April 26, 2017, 11:44:05 am »
Nestlé set to cut 300 UK jobs and move production of Blue Riband bars to Poland

GMB and Unite unions slammed the company for the move

Nestlé announced proposals to move production of the iconic Blue Riband chocolate bar from the UK to Poland resulting in around 300 job losses, following increasing import costs and uncertainty over how the Government will handle Brexit.

The GMB and Unite unions slammed the company for the move.

Tim Roache, GMB General Secretary, said: “To shift the production of an iconic British brand like Blue Riband to Poland is completely unacceptable.

“Nestlé are throwing people’s lives, and those of their families, into turmoil for the sake of increasing profit margins.

“These factories should be exporting chocolate – not people’s jobs.

“The Government needs to step in before it’s too late – and reassure millions of workers across the country this is not just the tip of the Brexit iceberg.”

​Nestlé said the proposals would be subject to a 45-day consultation period.

It said the proposals span four different sites: York, Fawdon, Halifax and Girvan, with job losses predominantly to hit York and Fawdon in Newcastle, through 2017 and 2018.

The company said it expected that these would be achieved through voluntary redundancies.

The proposed changes include amended and standardised shift patterns at each factory and, at Fawdon, the transfer of Blue Riband production to a Nestlé factory in Poland. This would mean being able to “simplify and focus Fawdon’s operation”, the company said.

These proposals are being made by Nestlé UK to ensure that these sites "operate more efficiently and remain competitive in a rapidly changing external environment".

The company added: “Nestlé UK appreciates that this is an uncertain time for employees and will work hard to ensure all are supported through this difficult period.”

Rachell Maskell, whose York constituency will see 143 of the 298 job cuts said: “Workers and their families have the right to be angry that Nestlé  is cutting jobs in York. Rowntree’s was a family firm who invested in jobs, homes and benefits to workers and their families, Nestle has lost the significance of the company by telling 143 workers that they are no longer needed at their factory.

“I will do everything possible to get the Government to secure these manufacturing jobs in York. I have already written to the Prime Minister and Secretary of State, to highlight the devastating impact that these job losses will have on workers and their families, on the business, on York’s economy and on the wider community. I am calling on the Prime minister to intervene and avert these job losses.”

“With the cost of imports, and uncertainty that has risen over the Government’s Brexit strategy, businesses are seeing a lack of confidence in their markets, and in their future in the UK. As EU negotiations commence, it is vital that the Government make urgent changes to its approach to safeguard the future of UK manufacturing."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/nestle-cut-300-jobs-workforce-blue-riband-production-poland-eu-brexit-a7701206.html
Company exporting work to places with cheaper labour shocker, this happened before Brexit and will happen after.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4410 on: April 26, 2017, 12:16:08 pm »
It's not just cheaper labour though, is it? If it intends to sell in the EU and has to procure materials from EU countries, it makes sense to base yourself in a EU country to cut down on paperwork, import/export duties and procedures etc.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4411 on: April 26, 2017, 01:30:43 pm »
Nestle is a Swiss company.  Blue Riband was first released in Switzerland and is made in UK from ingredients sourced outside of the UK. It's not like it's an exclusive British brand. And in terms of Rowntree being a family company concerned with the community, they laid off over 4000 British workers in the 80s before selling the company for over £2bn to Nestle.

And while they can be accused of sacrificing jobs for profit, it's no worse than the electorate sacrificing the economic stability of their country because they don't like foreigners...

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4412 on: April 27, 2017, 09:15:13 am »

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4413 on: April 27, 2017, 10:05:47 am »

Now up to 9% of UKIP voters who think Brexit was wrong.

The scary thing is these people still have the right to vote in the upcoming election.....

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4414 on: April 27, 2017, 12:01:39 pm »
Great blog post on the FT:

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #4415 on: April 27, 2017, 01:16:00 pm »

Hmm... It's a great idea saying that you had to vote with the Tories over Article 50 because of the 'will of the people'. Or it would be if the 'will of the people' didn't change.

Just imagine of you were party that was traditionally pro-EU and whose core supporters were mostly pro-EU already. Just imagine if that party could then capitalise when the mood inexorably changes as the truth about Brexit begins to hit home...

Or you could jump into bed with the right-wing of the Tory party...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4416 on: April 27, 2017, 02:34:36 pm »
Hmm... It's a great idea saying that you had to vote with the Tories over Article 50 because of the 'will of the people'. Or it would be if the 'will of the people' didn't change.

Just imagine of you were party that was traditionally pro-EU and whose core supporters were mostly pro-EU already. Just imagine if that party could then capitalise when the mood inexorably changes as the truth about Brexit begins to hit home...

Or you could jump into bed with the right-wing of the Tory party...
Yes, there was a quote on Twitter which said that Labour have managed to become the party of the 0%. 52% think they're against Brexit and 48% think they're for it.

It's such a sad situation that could have so easily been avoided.

Online Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4417 on: April 27, 2017, 03:26:54 pm »

Indeed.

Because the 'will of the people' in 1975, as expressed in a referendum, was 67% for staying in the EEC (as was). Surely that 'will' should have been considered absolutely final, with no dissent allowed, ever again. After all, it was over a two thirds majority and every district voted to stay, except the Shetland Islands.

Brexiteers must therefore be 'enemies of the people', surely?

(Perhaps I shouldn't mention this was under a Labour government, natch.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 03:29:40 pm by Banquo's Ghost »
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4418 on: April 27, 2017, 06:26:58 pm »
Brexit is what stupid does.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #4419 on: April 27, 2017, 10:25:21 pm »
Strikingly, the Prime Minister toughened her language on the stance of other EU leaders, in response to German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s criticism of UK reluctance to face the reality of Brexit.

“She says the UK has 'illusions' about the process and that the 27 member states of the European Union agree," Ms May said. "We can see how tough those negotiations are going to be at times.

”Yet our opponents are already seeking to disrupt those negotiations – at the same time as 27 other European countries line up to oppose us.”

Ms May added: “So we need the strongest possible hand, the strongest possible mandate and the strongest possible leadership as we go into those talks.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-labour-supporters-general-election-lend-me-their-vote-brexit-success-eu-tory-leader-a7706096.html

Holy fucking hell. Want to believe this is just bullshit for domestic consumption rather than how our government believe the process is going to play out. Seriously concerned that they are approaching negotiations with our friends and allies like this. They've been signalling it for long enough now. A.A.Gill's comments about the referendum keep coming back to mind. And I really disliked A.A.Gill 95% of the time.

Wanting the country back is the constant mantra of all the outies. Frottage slurs it, Gove insinuates it. Of course I know what they mean. We all know what they mean. They mean back from Johnny Foreigner, back from the brink, back from the future, back-to-back, back to bosky hedges and dry stone walls and country lanes and church bells and warm beer and skittles and football rattles and cheery banter and clogs on cobbles. Back to vicars-and-tarts parties and Carry On fart jokes, back to Elgar and fudge and proper weather and herbaceous borders and cars called Morris. Back to victoria sponge and 22 yards to a wicket and 15 hands to a horse and 3ft to a yard and four fingers in a Kit Kat, back to gooseberries not avocados, back to deference and respect, to make do and mend and smiling bravely and biting your lip and suffering in silence and patronising foreigners with pity.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #4420 on: April 28, 2017, 11:46:27 am »
Holy fucking hell. Want to believe this is just bullshit for domestic consumption rather than how our government believe the process is going to play out. Seriously concerned that they are approaching negotiations with our friends and allies like this. They've been signalling it for long enough now.

Her comments are laughable, yet exceptionally naive. She's playing to the warm pint-drinking gallery who will be voting for her in the GE. Of course the EU member states will be providing some level of collective resistance to Brexit. The hint is in the name of the group. They are a Union after all. None of the politicians who voted Leave would be daft enough to think they could leave their private member's bars and still expect to use the majority of its services. Like Trump, the reality of the way things work is going to come back to bite them.

Offline Currywurst

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #4421 on: April 28, 2017, 03:43:29 pm »
Don't know if this has already been posted here (I've checked back since it was released and can't see it).

https://www.change.org/p/eu-offer-european-citizenship-to-uk-citizens/u/20095460?utm_content=update&utm_medium=email&utm_source=64340&utm_campaign=campaigns_digest&sfmc_tk=vvPycOIrzUq8sCXfby8wt9fP9X40qgn46ZGoThNLPmcVrBDvv2lx9dtw%2b%2ftn79mz

(Seems an awfully long url, but then I know nothing about these things).

Retention of EU rights by individuals obviously seems to have traction within the EU and is important to me, so I've signed the petition. Whether you agree or not, it's still worth watching the video of Verhofstadt calling Frottage out for his hypocrisy. Having given the matter deep thought, I've failed to come up with a better candidate for "most punchable face ever". I'd go along to the next meeting of the Fisheries Commission to do it, but apparently it doesn't pay enough for him to attend.
Füreinander, nicht jeder für sich.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #4422 on: April 28, 2017, 07:53:06 pm »
Is blue riband iconic?
Not sure why the unions are crying so much about it now.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4423 on: April 28, 2017, 07:55:33 pm »
Is blue riband iconic?
Not sure why the unions are crying so much about it now.
Used to get one going to school back in the 80s. The poor man's pink Snack.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4424 on: April 28, 2017, 09:23:52 pm »
Wasn't sure whether to stick this in here or the Brexit thread but I guess more people are likely to see it here. Well worth a watch if you've got a spare 10 minutes. He basically deconstructs May's rationale behind calling for an election and debunks the idea that an increased Tory majority is necessary to secure a good outcome for Britain.

Edit: Doh, stuck it in the Brexit thread anyway ;D :butt

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3i529NnS0MI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3i529NnS0MI</a>
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:35:08 pm by TheShanklyGates »
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4425 on: April 28, 2017, 10:02:28 pm »
Wasn't sure whether to stick this in here or the Brexit thread but I guess more people are likely to see it here. Well worth a watch if you've got a spare 10 minutes. He basically deconstructs May's rationale behind calling for an election and debunks the idea that an increased Tory majority is necessary to secure a good outcome for Britain.

Edit: Doh, stuck it in the Brexit thread anyway ;D :butt

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3i529NnS0MI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3i529NnS0MI</a>
He must feel like he's banging his head against a brick wall.
The Torys are more concerned about gaining more power and blaming the EU when things go wrong to cover their backsides than whats best for the country.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4426 on: April 28, 2017, 10:14:41 pm »
That's a very sobering listen, especially when you hear it all laid out so clearly.

The last bit about whipping up nationalism and anti-EU sentiment was spot on. It really helps no-one, and it's only pandering to a very unpleasant sentiment. I was reading a Daily Mail comments section on an EU related article today, and the fury and spite being vented at the EU was quite shocking.
It's disappointing seeing the EU being painted as the villains at this early stage, and hearing a British PM only fan the flames. I suspect it's so that when the negotiations go pear-shaped, they can point the finger at the EU as being to blame. How long before any remainers not buying into the bullshit will be labelled as dissenters?

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #4427 on: April 28, 2017, 10:27:25 pm »
That's a very sobering listen, especially when you hear it all laid out so clearly.

The last bit about whipping up nationalism and anti-EU sentiment was spot on. It really helps no-one, and it's only pandering to a very unpleasant sentiment. I was reading a Daily Mail comments section on an EU related article today, and the fury and spite being vented at the EU was quite shocking.
It's disappointing seeing the EU being painted as the villains at this early stage, and hearing a British PM only fan the flames. I suspect it's so that when the negotiations go pear-shaped, they can point the finger at the EU as being to blame. How long before any remainers not buying into the bullshit will be labelled as dissenters?

Whatever goes wrong it will be the fault of the EU/Remainers. What will be interesting is when the dust settles when we leave the EU what will all the bitter, twisted DM types find to bring some interest to their drab lives ?

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4428 on: April 28, 2017, 11:25:26 pm »
Whatever goes wrong it will be the fault of the EU/Remainers. What will be interesting is when the dust settles when we leave the EU what will all the bitter, twisted DM types find to bring some interest to their drab lives ?
I think it's obvious now, we will be leaving the EU without a deal. just not enough time left for us to work out a deal even if we wanted too. question is, will we have a transitional period to help things go far smoother or will the hard right win the day again and insist we leave after 2 yr with a deal or not, they will say this knowing theres not enough time for a deal to be made.
The DM readers and most Brexters will probably believe what their told to believe. Strong May tells the EU to go and stuff themselves after talks collapse. EU playing politics rather than looking for solutions and were not having it.

Emily Maitlis

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #4429 on: April 28, 2017, 11:53:00 pm »
Prof.Dougan sets things out so clearly and simply. Thanks for sharing that.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4430 on: April 29, 2017, 08:59:08 am »
I really can't see the 'no deal' scenario. Business will prevent that. I think we'll get a 'transitional period' of EEA membership without full EU membership. Market access and four freedoms will be the same. Hopefully, the transitional period will last until someone sees sense and keeps Brexit to that.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4431 on: April 29, 2017, 10:49:56 am »
I really can't see the 'no deal' scenario. Business will prevent that. I think we'll get a 'transitional period' of EEA membership without full EU membership. Market access and four freedoms will be the same. Hopefully, the transitional period will last until someone sees sense and keeps Brexit to that.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/28/eu-leaders-to-insist-uk-pays-its-brexit-bills-as-precursor-to-trade-talks

EU sources have different views on the British government’s approach to Brexit. Some detect a new tone coming from London, with one senior diplomat talking of “much more realism on the negative consequences of no deal”.

Others think London has not “engaged with reality”. One EU diplomat put the chances of the UK crashing out of the EU without a deal at higher than 50%. “They are not just on a different planet, they are in a different galaxy,” the diplomat said.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #4432 on: April 29, 2017, 04:24:30 pm »
EU members have unanimously agreed on negotiating stance (BBC)

Offline Kop307

• Bets against Liverpool. "I could be talking utter fucking shit".
  • Kopite
« Reply #4433 on: April 29, 2017, 04:40:42 pm »
EU members have unanimously agreed on negotiating stance (BBC)

Which is to fuck Britain as hard as possible, relentlessly over and over again.
There are 2 types of posters on RAWK - Those who have an opinion and post - and those who just comment on those who post. Have an opinion - grow up.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4434 on: April 29, 2017, 04:53:15 pm »

I don't think that is completely true, but they have said: "the UK will have a less good position tomorrow outside the EU than today in the EU."

The more interesting thing is that they have an agreed strategy, together, ratified, and public. Where's the UK's? At least we took the country back from those undemocratic bureaucrats in Brussels...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 04:55:17 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4435 on: April 29, 2017, 05:03:14 pm »
Well, it's more to stand up for their own benefit as a united collective using their combined bargaining power rather than anything sadistic. Not really the EUs fault if the UK chooses to self harm.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4436 on: April 29, 2017, 05:04:32 pm »

But enough about leave voters...

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #4437 on: April 29, 2017, 05:41:52 pm »

I don't think it is really. It seems to be about having a clear, agreed view (between EU27) that leaving the EU club means to leave behind the benefits of being in the club. There are a number of different options with regards to a future relationship between the UK and the EU, but given that these options mostly require freedom of movement, then those are automatically out-of-the-question for the UK to consider. That is down to the UK alone.

The Tories are deliberately choosing the hardest possible exit (WTO). That is their choice, not the EU's.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4438 on: April 29, 2017, 05:59:44 pm »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #4439 on: April 29, 2017, 06:14:20 pm »
Small British Businesses Brace for Skills Shortages After Brexit
by Jill Ward
April 24, 2017, 7:01 PM EDT

Firms lack capacity to deal with immigration changes, FSB says
    Some firms employing EU citizens would consider moving abroad

It’s not just the big banks that are worried: small businesses are starting to fret about who they’ll employ once the U.K. leaves the European Union.

The majority of small British firms are worried about finding people with the right skills after Brexit, according to the Federation of Small Businesses. A fifth of them currently have EU staff, and if Brexit creates barriers to recruiting EU citizens, some would consider moving abroad or reducing operations, the FSB said in a report.

Prime Minister Theresa May plans to take the U.K. out of the single market to restrict immigration, though no agreement has been reached on protecting the rights of the millions of EU natives currently living in Britain. Limiting migration could exacerbate the skills gaps already facing the economy, and without reaching a deal on EU citizens’ rights, businesses could face a “sudden cliff-edge preventing small firms from accessing the workers they need,” the FSB’s chairman Mike Cherry said.

The FSB said the government should guarantee the rights of EU citizens in the workforce, and then implement transitional arrangements and phase in any new immigration system.

The EU’s latest negotiation draft strengthened proposals to protect the rights of EU citizens in the U.K., and vice-versa, when Britain leaves the bloc.

“There is a real concern among small firms with EU staff that they will lose access to the skills and labor their business needs to survive and grow,” Mike Cherry said. “EU workers are a vital part of our economy.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-24/small-british-businesses-brace-for-skills-shortages-after-brexit

Some notable facts in the report:

- More than 21% of small businesses have at least one EU staff member
- Around 1 in 3 does business with or within the EU
- 72% of small businesses recruited all of their EU staff, while those staff members were already living in the UK
- 42% of EU staff members were recruited, due to being the best candidate for the role
- Almost half of these workers (47%) are considered mid-skilled (i.e. mechanics, construction workers)
- If there were additional barriers to recruiting EU workers post-Brexit, 8% would look to close their business, 13% would look to relocate abroad and a similar amount would reduce operations.
- 40% of small businesses would continue to look to recruit EU workers post-Brexit