Author Topic: The Nathaniel Clyne Experience  (Read 214107 times)

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Nathaniel Clyne Experience
« Reply #520 on: April 6, 2017, 02:02:27 pm »
I think its a confidence thing with Clyne.

I'm probably mistaken but I'm sure I remember him overlapping the winger on the outside and getting crosses in from the byline a lot more earlier in the season when we were whipping teams.

Lately though, he cuts in a hell of a lot more than going on the outside, which is ironic considering he's right footed and cutting in means using his left more often.  I guess the easy pass options are there for him when he cuts inside.  He just doesn't seem to have confidence in taking on the fullback on the right wing much anymore.

He'll perhaps never be an elite attacking fullback, but I think he's already shown in flashes he can overlap effectively and get crosses in.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #521 on: April 6, 2017, 03:04:16 pm »
Next season I'd be playing Clyne in all European games and all Premier League games against what we perceive to be top 10 - 8 opposition. He's proven himself to be a solid, dependable consist defender who can offer a threat in attack, especially with space for him to move into.

For the other fixtures, against the dross, where we know we're going  to dominate the ball and spend a lot of time in possession in their half, I'd be playing Trent who seems a lot more comfortable on the ball, seems to be a better dribbler and has a hell of a cross on him. Possibly even Milner can get game time here if we've brought in another left back or Moreno has developed a brain and positional awareness.

By doing this, we save ourselves what, the £20 million quid? it takes to improve on Clyne and are able to spend that on the other areas that clearly need improvement in the starting 11.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: April 6, 2017, 03:11:32 pm »
Am I saying we need a new right back? I sm saying his form has been poor and for whatever reason he isn't pissing past his full back like we have saw in the past.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #523 on: April 6, 2017, 09:46:12 pm »
Look he's not been perfect but I think he was a damn sight better than Milner yesterday in attack. If we're looking at problems he really isn't one of them.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #524 on: April 6, 2017, 09:48:42 pm »
Absolute wordlie of a save to deny him a goal yesterday... a shame, would have done his confidence good.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #525 on: April 7, 2017, 01:27:21 am »
I think no one is saying an upgrade on Clyne wouldn't be welcome but we need to focus our recruitment on 4 or 5 other positions before right back. I can't see us signing a right full back when Clyne is decent to good and TAA is coming on leaps and bounds.

Offline T.Mills

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #526 on: April 23, 2017, 07:59:12 pm »
Anyone else massively dissapointed with him in the final third? Looks timid and unsure of himself when he gets into good areas. Defensively solid but I think upgrading both fullbacks should be high on our list in the summer.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #527 on: April 23, 2017, 08:06:23 pm »
His game does go to shit when he has to make things happen in the final third but assuming we buy a proper left back next season that'll be Clyne, Trent A-A and Milner who can all play right back so I wouldn't expect any movement for that position in the transfer window.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: April 23, 2017, 08:08:27 pm »
Anyone else massively dissapointed with him in the final third? Looks timid and unsure of himself when he gets into good areas. Defensively solid but I think upgrading both fullbacks should be high on our list in the summer.

Defensively hasn't been a problem but he will not take the full back on it's a problem.  Last weekend he only had Chris Brunt to beat, not a left back and one of the slowest players in the league but still wouldn't.

Offline Notorious IT

• Gilt complex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Alcoholic
« Reply #529 on: April 23, 2017, 08:08:54 pm »
Not in the top 5 of areas to improve, but he could definitely be improved upon.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: April 23, 2017, 08:09:27 pm »
He wasnt great going forward but fucking hell he kept Zaha quiet.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: April 23, 2017, 08:12:41 pm »
He wasnt great going forward but fucking hell he kept Zaha quiet.

Get off they didn't see hardly any of the ball he had nothing to stop

Offline MerseyMania

• Defiled for fantasticism.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #532 on: April 23, 2017, 08:15:04 pm »
he was not effective in the final third at all..a one odd cross here and there is good but nothing apart from that..

Offline T.Mills

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: April 23, 2017, 08:17:34 pm »
Not in the top 5 of areas to improve, but he could definitely be improved upon.

Hmmm im not sure, we all know the type of teams we struggle against and i cant help but feel a more offensively competent fullback would solve alot of our issues. In games like today hes the outlet, the free man, probably no coincidence that the best 4 full/wing backs are playing in the top 2 teams in the league.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #534 on: April 23, 2017, 08:18:21 pm »
He's ok. Nothing more, nothing less.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #535 on: April 23, 2017, 08:18:40 pm »
Has always been a decent defensive fullback, no idea why Klopp thinks he can make him into Dani Alves.

Online rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #536 on: April 23, 2017, 08:21:44 pm »
Has always been a decent defensive fullback, no idea why Klopp thinks he can make him into Dani Alves.
Its a consequence of the way we play I think

Teams sit back far enough that we have to try and push our fullbacks up. Unfortunately the space afforded to Clyne has absolutely fuck all effect on what he gives us in attack. Honestly, sometimes I feel like he's a bit of a waste of an athlete. He could hit the byline for fun if he wanted to, even if his crossing isn't great.

Online Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: April 23, 2017, 08:28:46 pm »
Slightly off topic but Milner isnt in great form either. Same as other players - poor decision making, giving away possession and looking bereft of confidence.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #538 on: April 23, 2017, 08:32:12 pm »
Slightly off topic but Milner isnt in great form either. Same as other players - poor decision making, giving away possession and looking bereft of confidence.

And Milner wearing the arm band.

Clyne has never delivered much offensively. It is a problem that is getting worse as teams have found us out and are happy to concede him and Milner that much time and space and still they can`t produce anything in attack.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Online rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #539 on: April 23, 2017, 08:39:08 pm »
I think it was always a tall order for Milner to be an attacking fullback all season. He puts in 100% every match, but I don't think he's had the stamina to do that for an entire season for a few years. At CM he looked tired early on in games throughout last season, and the workload hasn't eased with the change of position.

Unfortunately the pair of them have insufficient backup. Quality-wise in Milner's case, and experience-wise in Clyne's. I'd hoped that without Europe they'd be able to sustain their form all year, but obviously not.

Online ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #540 on: April 23, 2017, 08:43:30 pm »
he just can't take on his man! He needs to improve!! Good enough for the europa

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #541 on: April 23, 2017, 08:46:59 pm »
he just can't take on his man! He needs to improve!! Good enough for the europa

Just on that note, which fullbacks in the league are capable of taking on and beating a man?

Could really work on his crossing though.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #542 on: April 23, 2017, 08:49:44 pm »
Just on that note, which fullbacks in the league are capable of taking on and beating a man?

Could really work on his crossing though.
Thinking about that, you're right

Bellerin is supposedly the fastest player in the league, but I rarely see him beat his man on the ball. Far cry from the likes of that Mendy lad at Monaco, who looked like he could find a great crossing position at will, or Marcelo who basically runs that entire flank.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #543 on: April 23, 2017, 08:59:14 pm »
its a position that definitely needs to be improved

unfortunately other positions will get priority this summer
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: April 23, 2017, 09:08:04 pm »
its a position that definitely needs to be improved

unfortunately other positions will get priority this summer

Rightly so. We need a midfielder, centreback, left back and attacker. Then think about right back.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #545 on: April 23, 2017, 09:11:32 pm »
Trent will challenge Clynne next season, and I expect him to also feature this season too.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: April 23, 2017, 10:39:12 pm »
Rightly so. We need a midfielder, centreback, left back and attacker. Then think about right back.

It may seem  shocking to many but id put right back on par with left for an upgrade. Don't  see Clyne as a top player either defensively or offensively.  His terrible defensive positioning could have cost us at least two goals today if palace didnt put in poor balls.  His solid but unspectacular reputation is a myth for me.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: April 23, 2017, 10:48:24 pm »
Trent will challenge Clynne next season, and I expect him to also feature this season too.

Id put him in now. How can he be any worse?     And it'd tell us if we need to spend big or stick with Trent

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #548 on: April 24, 2017, 12:36:07 am »
He's an ok defender but shocking as an attacking fullback

Offline Mozology

• Legacy Fan
  • FSG, spend some fucking money, miserable bastards
« Reply #549 on: April 24, 2017, 12:41:02 am »
He's still Mister Consistency, the only problem is he used to be Mister 7 outta 10, now he's Mister 5 outta 10.

Had a really poor season, much worse than Mignolet.

The good early season form of Matip and Milner masked Clyne's poor play, now that those two aren't playing as well Clyne is getting exposed.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: April 24, 2017, 12:51:45 am »
Limited player, but not one I'll be rushing to upgrade on. Limited though he is, he does what he does very well, which is shutting down one side of the pitch and providing support. I would look more immediately to replace Milner and one of Lovren/Matip, because this defence cannot continue. We need someone with real aerial dominance and pace. A CB that is comfortable in running out wide to go up against an attacking player because that's what is required in our system more often than not. And then if we're doing that, we're needless going to need FBs that can actually produce in attack and Milner is far slower and blunter than Clyne though he has more assists. Clyne is safe for now IMO. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: April 24, 2017, 03:15:13 am »
He's clearly struggling for form going forward and has done for much of the season. Today there were a few balls switched across the field to him which he brought down well, creating a 1 v 1, but then turned back inside and passed backwards. It's become a bit of a vicious circle where teams know he's not playing well and let him have the ball and then he feels under pressure to produce and rushes it.

I don't think it's any coincidence that he seems to play better with Mane in front of him, who is much more willing to stay out wide and create from those areas.

I think we've got more pressing issues this summer and hope that a summer off and maybe some better players in front of him will allow him to regroup.

It's also worth pointing out that he is 'only' just turned 26. Whilst he's not a kid any more I don't think it is a disaster that he still isn't quite the finished article. 

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: April 24, 2017, 03:45:48 am »
We don't need a new right back. Clyne is fine. He was one of the best RB's in the league before we signed him and he still is. I'll take a defensively solid full back who is dodgy in attack any day over someone like Moreno who is bought as an attacking full back but lacks in defence.

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #553 on: April 24, 2017, 03:46:05 am »
So many times we look for him as an attacking outlet, very rarely does he produce anything. His defending is keeping him in the team.
Every time he gets the ball in an attacking position the opposition know he's not good enough to take on their man, be it with pace or trickery.
He has some lovely tattoes though.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #554 on: April 24, 2017, 05:18:58 am »
We don't need a new right back. Clyne is fine. He was one of the best RB's in the league before we signed him and he still is. I'll take a defensively solid full back who is dodgy in attack any day over someone like Moreno who is bought as an attacking full back but lacks in defence.

You value defence over attack even when we have 75% possession? You may value defensive ability, but Klopp likes attacking wingbacks. And with our current tactics Clyne is a bit of a blunt instrument.

Moreno has his weakness as a converted winger, but a player like him would make better use of all the time Clyne gets with the ball to create something instead of just passing it back.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #555 on: April 24, 2017, 05:25:33 am »
I would too but Klopps attack works better with overlapping full backs who can beat their man.
Seen us win everything

Offline Day1983

• Main Stander
« Reply #556 on: April 24, 2017, 06:03:41 am »
Like the majority of our team he's ok, that's it

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: April 24, 2017, 06:12:04 am »
Clyne is fine as long as we find a left back who can offer width and a real attacking outlet down that side. The problem is we don't have that. We have James Milner. Moreno would be a decent option if he wasn't a head full of brainfarts. We must sort this out in the summer.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #558 on: April 24, 2017, 08:58:40 am »
My issue with Clyne is that once he gets in to an attacking position around the box, he seems happy to just put it in there, no thinking behind the balls he plays in there.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: April 24, 2017, 09:11:49 am »
Gets the ball so much in the attacking third as the opposition don't bother marking him..  Knowing he will do nothing with it.  Time and time again he either slows down the play, gives the ball away or hits the first man.
He is not good enough for how we want to play and needs dropping.