Author Topic: Tim Sherwood  (Read 90084 times)

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Tim Sherwood
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2015, 03:20:30 pm »
I have a bit of an affinity with Aston Villa so I secretly hope he does well there as I hate seeing them playing as awfully as they have been. That being said I don't have a lot of respect for the bloke and I think he's done incredibly well to walk straight into another job in the Premier League.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2015, 03:26:07 pm »
He'll be awesome, he transformed A-dee-bye-yor with his banter and personality into a fearless goalscorer not at all motivated by money and new contracts, and he'll do the same with Benteke.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2015, 03:51:11 pm »
I was coming here to post the same thing.  ;D

so was i, behind the times today

Wonder what Prince William and Nigel Kennedy make of it?

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2015, 04:10:25 pm »

Well if he sticks to that he'll be ok, it is a simple game and it is made complicated by people who should know better. So what you are saying is that Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley, Joe Fagan, Kenny Dalglish were all deluded.

Context is an amazing thing. Take something out of context and you can make any old completely facetious and laughable point. I was simply highlighting that this is how Tim feels/what he believes not stating a fact.

Football is a simple game in some respects and beautifully complex in others, it's why we keep watching it and analysing it from our chairs. Formations, tactics and coaching matters or anyone could be a great coach.

Tim's philosophy is to go extremely simple; "all we need is 4-4-2, get out there and attack lads, passion is the key and tactics don't matter". It's why he did well in some games against lesser teams and got absolutely crushed by better teams who played with guile and sophistication. He'll get the best out of some players but completely lose from others as a result.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2015, 04:14:16 pm »
Tim's philosophy is to go extremely simple; "all we need is 4-4-2, get out there and attack lads, passion is the key and tactics don't matter". It's why he did well in some games against lesser teams and got absolutely crushed by better teams who played with guile and sophistication. He'll get the best out of some players but completely lose from others as a result.

Is that actually his philosophy?  I remember him switching up formations at Spurs quite a bit, even in his short spell there.  You could also argue he'll promote from within, similar to how Rodgers does with us.  He was the one who had faith in Kane, Bentaleb and Mason and got them properly up and running for the first team.

I see Sherwood as similar to Redknapp.  His teams will play attractive football, he'll pick up a trophy or two on the way, but he won't get the chance at a really big club because he won't be seen as a master tactician (for obvious reasons).
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2015, 04:20:49 pm »
Is that actually his philosophy? I remember him switching up formations at Spurs quite a bit, even in his short spell there.  You could also argue he'll promote from within, similar to how Rodgers does with us.  He was the one who had faith in Kane, Bentaleb and Mason and got them properly up and running for the first team.

I see Sherwood as similar to Redknapp.  His teams will play attractive football, he'll pick up a trophy or two on the way, but he won't get the chance at a really big club because he won't be seen as a master tactician (for obvious reasons).

He either played 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1. Standard formation changes.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2015, 04:24:11 pm »
He either played 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1. Standard formation changes.

Yup, but I think a lot of people think of him as a meat and potatoes 442 get it wide type of manager, which I don't think is the case.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2015, 04:24:56 pm »
Yup, but I think a lot of people think of him as a meat and potatoes 442 get it wide type of manager, which I don't think is the case.

Sherwood is definitely a Kobe beef and Fingerling potatoes chap :D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2015, 04:28:29 pm »
Sherwood is definitely a Kobe beef and Fingerling potatoes chap :D

Does this make Hodgson a cocktail sausage and potato waffles kinda guy?

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2015, 04:31:54 pm »
Is that actually his philosophy?  I remember him switching up formations at Spurs quite a bit, even in his short spell there.  You could also argue he'll promote from within, similar to how Rodgers does with us.  He was the one who had faith in Kane, Bentaleb and Mason and got them properly up and running for the first team.

I'm not saying he couldn't become a great manager but right now, he's naive in many aspects of the game but in all the coverage is being touted as a fantastic top level manager (by the media and his mates) without ever actually having done anything to deserve it.

He should actually obtain his pro licence (would be a good start!), do an apprenticeship at a smaller side and get some valuable experience before thinking he should be given a big side. He's far more likely to succeed long term taking his time than trying to stay in the PL for now and try to rescue Villa from the drop, probably fail to do so and become known as that kind of manager.

He might prove me wrong, and well done to him if he does, but he has a "Simple Tim" reputation already for a good reason.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2015, 04:32:41 pm »

No need to ask is there ?
 ;D
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2015, 04:34:19 pm »

Cocktail sausage yes but it has to have cheese cubes on a stick next to it, and no fancy pancy foreign rubbish. Those two worked as the perfect party food in the 70s and they will work now damnit!

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2015, 04:34:40 pm »

Findus Crispy Beef Pancakes and cold potato salad.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2015, 04:37:59 pm »
It's unfair to compare Hodgson to Sherwood.

Hodgson is utterly shite, outdated and a buffoon...... But he has had success as a manger.....

Sherwood has worn a Gillette.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2015, 04:56:52 pm »
You know, I know he's a c*nt of the highest magnitude and I generally don't like the bloke.

But I genuinely hope he keeps Villa up and does well with them. If he can do well with them, then maybe England can leapfrog 'Arry when Roy is sacked and go for a younger man at the helm.

There; I said it.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2015, 05:45:02 pm »

Matheus Rose and Fondue. He has been using the same culinary methods that have served him well since the 1970's.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2015, 05:47:53 pm »
Matheus Rose and Fondue. He has been using the same culinary methods that have served him well since the 1970's.

:lmao

I bet the decor in his house is rank as well.

get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2015, 05:48:03 pm »
Prawn cocktail to start and Black Forest gateaux for pudding....

Served with a feint whiff of disillusionment.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2015, 06:01:49 pm »
I find his accent obnoxious, but I don't mind the honesty he shows in press conferences.

It's refreshing in a game where most managers and players are very cagey with the media and how their comments could come across or be misconstrued so they go with the boring robotic approach, but ole Timmy doesn't give a flying f. And I'm OK with that. Hope he keeps Villa up, as it means they might've knocked off a few of our top 4 challengers. 
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2015, 06:03:48 pm »

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2015, 06:11:47 pm »
I find it unbelievable that a man with pretty much zero managerial experience just waltzes into the Villa job on the back of bravado and bullshit.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2015, 06:18:45 pm »

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2015, 06:19:03 pm »
I find it unbelievable that a man with pretty much zero managerial experience just waltzes into the Villa job on the back of bravado and bullshit.

To be fair, he's went from  2008-2012 Spurs assistant first team coach --> 2012 - 2013 Spurs Under 21's Coach ---> 2013-2014 Spurs head coach ---> 2015 -  Present Aston Villa Manager.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2015, 06:19:38 pm »
I hope he takes them down to be honest, not sure why a few on here want them to stay up considering they only have on great game a season, against us!!!!!

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2015, 06:28:54 pm »
To be fair, he's went from  2008-2012 Spurs assistant first team coach --> 2012 - 2013 Spurs Under 21's Coach ---> 2013-2014 Spurs head coach ---> 2015 -  Present Aston Villa Manager.
And yet, he still doesn't have his top level coaching badge......
W

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2015, 06:35:06 pm »

So he's been coaching at the club level for 7 years, and didn't do the Pro Licence. That's my only issue with him. He has that typical English ex-player's attitude to coach education.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2015, 06:38:43 pm »
I hope he takes them down to be honest, not sure why a few on here want them to stay up considering they only have on great game a season, against us!!!!!

Exactly. Sick to the back teeth of their plucky Anfield performances.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2015, 06:41:18 pm »
I reckon he will keep them up....

He seems like he can get the team playing for each other and that he can create a happy positive atmosphere in the team....  That will do him quite will for three or four months and they will stay up.

Sacked by Christmas of course....
W

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2015, 07:01:30 pm »
I reckon he will keep them up....

He seems like he can get the team playing for each other and that he can create a happy positive atmosphere in the team....  That will do him quite will for three or four months and they will stay up.

Sacked by Christmas of course....

It would be the gift Villa fans ask for Santa to take away not bring.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2015, 07:30:35 pm »
You said it, Tim!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31487088
notice how his voice goes when he talks about the villa fans ;D

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:56:01 pm by mersey_paradise »
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #152 on: February 16, 2015, 11:29:39 pm »
I saw on the news the other day a package that said Tim had a very good reputation and is thought highly within coaching and managing circles.

I couldn't stop thinking about it for about an hour - What circles, exactly, are these?
Continually on 11,420.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: February 16, 2015, 11:30:42 pm »
I saw on the news the other day a package that said Tim had a very good reputation and is thought highly within coaching and managing circles.

I couldn't stop thinking about it for about an hour - What circles, exactly, are these?

LMA

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2015, 11:42:32 pm »
I find him quite entertaining.

He's all cockney. Faaaaaackin this and faaaaaasckin that. Geeeezaaah.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2015, 12:08:33 am »
LMA

But is he that highly regarded? - I had no idea he was regarded highly until I saw the news package. Is it because he's English or what?
Continually on 11,420.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2015, 12:24:04 am »
But is he that highly regarded? - I had no idea he was regarded highly until I saw the news package. Is it because he's English or what?

I've no idea if he is highly regarded (and I've certainly never heard anything about him - by contrast, I was aware of Inglethorpe and Beale at our own Academy years ago, so word gets around), but if he is, the only "circles" I could imagine it would be in would be the LMA, who love a good old English 4-4-2 one-of-the-lads type in charge of a Premier League club

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: February 17, 2015, 12:26:58 am »
Alan Curbishley has finally been replaced. Sherwood will eventually get one of these jobs and he'll fail miserably in it and then it'll all repeat...

Just as an aside I've always felt Curbishley has been massively hard done by. He performed minor miracles with Charlton (consecutive promotions then consolidation in the PL) and left West Ham with them in the top half. He seems to have been black-listed for taking legal action against West Ham.

Genuinely feel for the guy when you see people like Sherwood, Warnock, Pardew, Pearce etc get jobs whilst he is left twiddling his thumbs.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2015, 12:31:16 am »
I've no idea if he is highly regarded (and I've certainly never heard anything about him - by contrast, I was aware of Inglethorpe and Beale at our own Academy years ago, so word gets around), but if he is, the only "circles" I could imagine it would be in would be the LMA, who love a good old English 4-4-2 one-of-the-lads type in charge of a Premier League club

Well, as I've said - weirdly; I don't particularly like the fella, but I do hope he can keep him up and do well with them. He seems like he is a big fan of King Kenny from his Blackburn days and appears to have adopted some his tactics/methods. In no way likening them to one another, but if memory serves, he did mention in an interview how King Kenny had influenced his approach to football.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2015, 12:33:58 am »
Well, as I've said - weirdly; I don't particularly like the fella, but I do hope he can keep him up and do well with them. He seems like he is a big fan of King Kenny from his Blackburn days and appears to have adopted some his tactics/methods. In no way likening them to one another, but if memory serves, he did mention in an interview how King Kenny had influenced his approach to football.

I don't dislike Sherwood, he's quite entertaining. But I do dislike what he represents, which is easy jobs for unqualified persons when there are actual qualified coaches and managers out of work. But the man himself, I don't have any issues with. If he does a job against all of our rivals for top four, then he's alright by me.