Author Topic: The Racist Russian Fanciers Party  (Read 290987 times)

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: UKIP councillor blames storms and floods on gay marriage
« Reply #160 on: May 18, 2014, 09:19:51 pm »
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/wannabe-liverpool-ukip-councillor-wants-7134800#.U3jqdmTTt5E.facebook

A wannabe UK Independence Party (UKIP) councillor called for Russian militia to be shipped into Britain to “clean up our city centres”.

Austin Lucas, who hopes to become a councillor for Cressington in this Thursday’s local elections, also heaped praise on Russian president Vladimir Putin, saying: “At least he loves his country.”

Mr Lucas’s comments are among a series of bizarre statements made on Facebook by UKIP council candidates in Liverpool.

Enid Lindsay, who is standing in Fazakerley , called voters “idiots”, while Clubmoor’s Paul Forrest claimed “racism is a natural outcome of evolution” and said the Catholic church is “far more dangerous” than the Ku Klux Klan (KKK).

Meanwhile John Halvorsen, a candidate in Everton , lists the Liverpool division of the far-right English Defence League among his “likes” on Facebook. He is also a member of an online group called “Was Enoch Powell Right?”.

These Facebook posts were brought to the attention of the Sunday ECHO by ex-UKIP member turned anti-extremism campaigner Colin Cortbus.

Mr Lucas wrote on the social networking site in February: “Can we please import some Cossacks to clean up our city centres – say what you will about Vlad Putin, at least he loves his country.”

In March he re-published a comment by Mr Forrest that warned of pro-abortion “feminist witches who consider children to be nothing more than pets or fashion accessories”. Mr Lucas went on to say Green Party MP Caroline Lucas is “probably a witch”.

Meanwhile, in December last year just before border controls between Britain, Romania and Bulgaria were relaxed, Ms Lindsay wrote on Facebook: “What kind of idiots have the British electorate become?

“We are faced with a tidal wave of new immigrants from the European Union in less than one week and the public seem to have accepted that there is nothing they can do about it.”

She added: “The present British population should be ashamed of themselves.”

Mr Forrest, meanwhile, said on Facebook in 2012 that “evolution and racism go hand in hand”, before posting a link to an article about biology and eugenics. He went on to say “racism is a natural outcome of evolution, not a misunderstanding of it”.

He added: “Genocidal racists are being true to evolution far more than those people who want Darwinism but without its social consequences.”

In a separate online debate in 2012, he wrote: “Please stop saying Roman Catholics are part of the Christian church. They’ve killed more Christians throughout history than all others put together.”

He later added: “As imposters go, the Church of Rome is far more dangerous than the KKK.” During the same discussion he also laid into Islam, saying its claim to be a “religion of peace” was “downright misinformation”.

The four candidates were invited to speak to the Sunday ECHO about their online activities, but all either declined or failed to respond to our requests for a comment. The Sunday ECHO also visited Mr Lucas’s home address – as stated on the election nomination form – but we were told he no longer lived there.

UKIP boss set to investigate

The chairman of the UK Independence Party (UKIP) in Liverpool has vowed to investigate following today’s revelations.

In a statement, Neil Miney told us: “Whilst some candidates may have expressed unguarded comments, these do not represent party policy or, necessarily, their full opinion in context. We shall investigate all the allegations and, if appropriate, take action.”

The Sunday ECHO’s report today will be the latest in a long line of headaches for UKIP leader Nigel Frottage, caused by potentially offensive comments made by party members.

Mr Miney added: “UKIP is a non-racist, non-sectarian political party. In Liverpool branch, we welcome people from all backgrounds if they agree with our core values of democracy and free speech.

“We believe in freedom, even when this can sometimes be awkward.”
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: May 18, 2014, 10:47:33 pm »
^^ fucking hell, what a gang of nutjobs

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #162 on: May 18, 2014, 11:59:09 pm »
 The thing with many UKIP supporters is that I actually agree with them on the crux of their argument; that the three main parties have failed ordinary British people. However, by voting for a party that also believes in the same neoliberal orthodoxy that got the country into such a mess, what exactly are they hoping to achieve? I don't buy the protest vote argument - there are plenty of alternatives out there to throw your weight behind (the Greens being my personal preference). I can only assume many of them are politically illiterate (without wanting to sound like a twat) or simply like the ease of immigrant-bashing.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #163 on: May 19, 2014, 12:05:51 am »
I can only assume many of them are politically illiterate....
Good. Now ask yourself why that is and you are closer to the answer to the original question.

Offline Priest078

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: May 19, 2014, 12:11:39 am »
Course UKIP can be Bobby fucking big bollocks and say what they want as they know they'll never get in power.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #165 on: May 19, 2014, 12:19:09 am »
It disturbs me greatly that they get so much airtime - when the Greens get fuck all
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: May 19, 2014, 12:19:51 am »
However the damage UKIP can do and the carnage they can create along the way is something we can really do without. 

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #167 on: May 19, 2014, 12:29:11 am »
Absolutely Jim
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: May 19, 2014, 10:16:44 am »
However the damage UKIP can do and the carnage they can create along the way is something we can really do without. 

Definitely. The sooner that the European elections are over and Frottage (and his odious party) scuttles back into obscurity the better.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2014, 11:51:40 am »
Where on earth do they find these people?

My rivals should be hanged for treason, says Ukip candidate

Voters are traitors and pro-EU politicians should be executed, says Ukip candidate who runs care home.

Politicians from Britain’s three main political parties should be hanged and their voters tried for treason, a Ukip candidate has said.

Labour, Conservative and Liberal Democrat politicians have committed Britain to “slavery inside the EU dictatorship” and should be punished by death, Gordon Ferguson told prospective voters in a letter delivered ahead of Thursday's council elections.

Anybody who votes for those parties is “guilty by association of treason against our nation”, he added.

Nigel Frottage has complained his party faces far tougher scrutiny than its rivals after a string of Ukip candidates were exposed making offensive, racist and eccentric comments. He said on Friday: “All anyone wants to talk about is the idiots in Ukip.”

Mr Ferguson wrote: “The Lib-Lab-Cons have conspired with a foreign power, the EU, and are all thereby guilty of treason. They have sold Britain, which is the fifth largest economy, illegally into increasing slavery inside the EU dictatorship. Those responsible should be hung by the neck until dead.”

He went on: “As likely as not, however, they will never be brought to account because our senior police, Crown Prosecution Service and judges are almost all exclusively freemasons, and Britain’s courts have been utterly corrupt for many years. They are almost all in the pocket of the EU.

Mr Ferguson, who is running for Cambridge ward in Southport, Lancashire, added: “If you vote for any of the three Lib- Lab- Con- parties you will be aiding and abetting them and you will also be guilty by association of treason against our nation. No-one should knowingly support a corrupt organisation.”

The letter complains of a plot between the three main parties, the European Union, the banks, the energy companies and local councils to "impoverish us and reduce our ability to resist".

Mr Ferguson, who runs a rest home for the elderly in the town, declined to say which individual politicians he would like hanged.

But he told the Telegraph he stands by his call for the death penalty for those he considers traitors for leading Britain into the EU, saying: “That is the old English law, is it not?"

Asked whether he thought his rivals’ voters should also hang, the softly-spoken Mr Ferguson said: “If that is the law of the land, that should apply.” The decision is for judges, not him he added.

He added: “I want them to think about the implications of them supporting an organisation that is not working in the interests of the British people.”

Mr Ferguson said he had revised subsequent pieces of election literature after receiving negative feedback from friends.

“By being so forthright, maybe that was not wise,” he conceded, adding: “I would hate to be an embarrassment to Nigel Frottage. I have the greatest respect for him.”

The death penalty for treason was abolished in 1998.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/10839448/My-rivals-should-be-hanged-for-treason-says-Ukip-candidate.html

Offline viteslesrouges

• Legacy Fan
  • Games : 535. Won : 308. Drawn : 131. Lost : 96
« Reply #170 on: May 19, 2014, 01:23:38 pm »
Course UKIP can be Bobby fucking big bollocks and say what they want as they know they'll never get in power.

What, like the Lib Dems ?
You made me forget myself, I thought I was someone else, someone good.

Offline Rome-77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: May 19, 2014, 01:33:04 pm »
Frottage it tempted to allign UKIP with le Penn[national front party]  in france.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #172 on: May 19, 2014, 01:43:06 pm »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/10839448/My-rivals-should-be-hanged-for-treason-says-Ukip-candidate.html

Gordon Ferguson, who is standing in the Cambridge ward in Southport, said in an email to the Guardian: "In retrospect I can see the language I used and ideas I alluded to may be perceived as rather strong. However, it's a reflection of how strongly I feel about the growing undemocratic power and influence of the EU over UK affairs. I am by no means media trained but an ordinary chap who wants the best for Britain."

Ah, that explains it then. Apparently you need media training to avoid saying that anyone you don't agree with needs to be hanged. Typical establishment picking on ordinary folk again.....

Offline scared_person

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: May 19, 2014, 02:09:48 pm »
They're a gang of bigoted fucking lunatics aren't they?

It's really annoying because the undemocratic nature of the EU worries me. I'm not against European integration at all, I have no problem with immigration at all and I'm not a racist. I do, however, have a big issue with the democratic deficit in the EU's system. I worry about all the shenanigans surrounding the European Constitution & the Lisbon Treaty.

I have a problem because I have no way of expressing that worry. There is no way I could vote for UKIP because as I said they are bigoted lunatics, but I don't think any other minor party is anywhere near my views. The 3 main parties just use Europe as a political point scoring exercise.

It is possible to generally support the idea of European integration, free movement of people and free trade whilst being deeply mistrustful of the institution of the EU. It's a nuance that mainstream politics is unable or unwilling to countenance.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #174 on: May 19, 2014, 03:06:35 pm »
They're a gang of bigoted fucking lunatics aren't they?

It's really annoying because the undemocratic nature of the EU worries me. I'm not against European integration at all, I have no problem with immigration at all and I'm not a racist. I do, however, have a big issue with the democratic deficit in the EU's system. I worry about all the shenanigans surrounding the European Constitution & the Lisbon Treaty.

I have a problem because I have no way of expressing that worry. There is no way I could vote for UKIP because as I said they are bigoted lunatics, but I don't think any other minor party is anywhere near my views. The 3 main parties just use Europe as a political point scoring exercise.

It is possible to generally support the idea of European integration, free movement of people and free trade whilst being deeply mistrustful of the institution of the EU. It's a nuance that mainstream politics is unable or unwilling to countenance.

The Green Party have promised a referendum on the EU, say we need to reform the main EU institutions but want to stay in and already have a seat in Parliament. I'd hedge my bets with them going on what you've said there.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline scared_person

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: May 19, 2014, 03:39:36 pm »
The Green Party have promised a referendum on the EU, say we need to reform the main EU institutions but want to stay in and already have a seat in Parliament. I'd hedge my bets with them going on what you've said there.

Thanks mate, I'll take a look.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #176 on: May 19, 2014, 04:18:30 pm »
Scary thing is they will have elected MPs after the next general election.

They have a lot of support unfortunately. You hear the odd ripple of applause whenever one of them are on Question Time but when Frottage was on the other week the audience was like 50/50.

JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #177 on: May 19, 2014, 05:09:37 pm »
Scary thing is they will have elected MPs after the next general election.

They have a lot of support unfortunately. You hear the odd ripple of applause whenever one of them are on Question Time but when Frottage was on the other week the audience was like 50/50.

I doubt they will have enough support to gain any MPs.

It's most likely that their vote will collapse for a real election.

(Fingers crossed).

Still, UKIP success is our best chance of avoiding another Tory government, so it's swings and roundabouts I suppose
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #178 on: May 19, 2014, 06:30:49 pm »
Why is no-one pounding UKIP over their silence on TTIP? The biggest threat to our and every other EU nation's sovereignty, being drawn up behind closed doors in Brussels and not a fucking peep from them. You'd think they'd be all over it. They won't of course, because it greatly pleases their rich neoliberal donors. Corporations being able to sue national governments for lost profits because they try to protect their citizens or the environment is fucking disgusting. The opportunistic, hypocritical shower of  manipulative shite.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: May 19, 2014, 06:34:18 pm »
They're probably struggling to spell it....

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: May 19, 2014, 06:36:55 pm »
They're probably struggling to spell it....
;D  They probably fucking struggle with UKIP too.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline viteslesrouges

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: May 19, 2014, 07:04:06 pm »
Why is no-one pounding UKIP over their silence on TTIP? The biggest threat to our and every other EU nation's sovereignty, being drawn up behind closed doors in Brussels and not a fucking peep from them. You'd think they'd be all over it. They won't of course, because it greatly pleases their rich neoliberal donors. Corporations being able to sue national governments for lost profits because they try to protect their citizens or the environment is fucking disgusting. The opportunistic, hypocritical shower of  manipulative shite.

This gets towards the core of UKIP.

Their sound bites are just that. Frottage doesn't give a flying fuck about immigration but if it gets votes he'll take 'em.

Out of the EU, we would see a decimation of Health & Safety, Employment & Environment legislation, GM would be widespread and of course Fracking.

Who's likely to benefit from the above? Frottage and his City pals, his friends in the media and of course, US investors and business.

Who's likely to be even deeper in the brown stuff? ....

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: May 19, 2014, 07:28:54 pm »

Mr Ferguson wrote: “The Lib-Lab-Cons have conspired with a foreign power, the EU, and are all thereby guilty of treason. They have sold Britain, which is the fifth largest economy, illegally into increasing slavery inside the EU dictatorship. Those responsible should be hung by the neck until dead.”

Tsch, you're right that's pretty poor indeed and a sign of the low quality of these councillors. One is "hanged by the neck until dead" and not hung. How gauche. ;D

Being serious, it's worrying that after just a brief inspection of their candidates (and their statements) that so many have proven to be inane, offensive and worthless. For example in the case above, how this idiot thought that his letter was ever acceptable is beyond me.

I'm sure the other parties would no doubt have embarrassments of their own if checked, but not probably to this extent, and Frottage has really cocked up by inviting this kind of scrutiny by claiming they're not representative.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #183 on: May 19, 2014, 08:29:31 pm »
Thanks mate, I'll take a look.

They also have a lot of leftist populist policy. Why more people don't vote for them is beyond me.

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: May 20, 2014, 02:13:22 am »
I doubt they will have enough support to gain any MPs.

It's most likely that their vote will collapse for a real election.

(Fingers crossed).

Still, UKIP success is our best chance of avoiding another Tory government, so it's swings and roundabouts I suppose

UKIP will almost certainly pick up MP's in 2015, they have seen a strong growth over the last few years and could well have 17-20% of the national vote by 2015 (polling at around 11-15% now IIRC), how many seats that will actually translate into I don't know. We could end up with a hung parliament with UKIP holding the balance of power (A Tory-UKIP coalition being a often discussed idea) or UKIP not really having an influence, but I'm almost certain they will get MP's.

Something interesting to come out of the last few weeks is that UKIP seems to be utterly immune to the scathing media attacks they have been subjected to. While the mainstream media has done everything possible to attack the party, they are up in the polls and look certain to come top in the EU elections. Personally I think the media is going down the wrong road, it's clear to anyone who has done their research that UKIP isn't a racist party, at least their policy isn't, so using that as a stick to beat them with doesn't deter their current support and actually makes others who held that view go and look them up and come to the that conclusiom. It worked well when UKIP were a small fringe party, who had some radical right elements, but against 2014's cleaned up UKIP it just isn't working, how can you play the racist card when UKIP has plenty of ethnic minority candidates and members? It just doesn't work.

If the left really wanted to get at UKIP they should be going after policy/economics, UKIP is actually picking up a fair bit of old Labour vote who don't feel represented by Labour anymore and see UKIP as a protest vote or want a referendum on the EU but would never vote Tory (who won't give them one anyway) Their target should be the lack of any major policy outside of the EU and their libertarian ideals, which could easily be conflated with Thatcher, making Frottage out as a "new Thatcher, enemy of the working man" would be a much stronger attack, even if it isn't really true. The worst that could happen is splitting the right wing vote. At the moment it's UKIP talking about "taking on the establishment" and a "peoples army", which is the right move for them and attracts people disillusioned with the current political system.

Offline viteslesrouges

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: May 20, 2014, 07:19:31 am »
UKIP will almost certainly pick up MP's in 2015, they have seen a strong growth over the last few years and could well have 17-20% of the national vote by 2015 (polling at around 11-15% now IIRC), how many seats that will actually translate into I don't know. We could end up with a hung parliament with UKIP holding the balance of power (A Tory-UKIP coalition being a often discussed idea) or UKIP not really having an influence, but I'm almost certain they will get MP's.

Something interesting to come out of the last few weeks is that UKIP seems to be utterly immune to the scathing media attacks they have been subjected to. While the mainstream media has done everything possible to attack the party, they are up in the polls and look certain to come top in the EU elections. Personally I think the media is going down the wrong road, it's clear to anyone who has done their research that UKIP isn't a racist party, at least their policy isn't, so using that as a stick to beat them with doesn't deter their current support and actually makes others who held that view go and look them up and come to the that conclusiom. It worked well when UKIP were a small fringe party, who had some radical right elements, but against 2014's cleaned up UKIP it just isn't working, how can you play the racist card when UKIP has plenty of ethnic minority candidates and members? It just doesn't work.

If the left really wanted to get at UKIP they should be going after policy/economics, UKIP is actually picking up a fair bit of old Labour vote who don't feel represented by Labour anymore and see UKIP as a protest vote or want a referendum on the EU but would never vote Tory (who won't give them one anyway) Their target should be the lack of any major policy outside of the EU and their libertarian ideals, which could easily be conflated with Thatcher, making Frottage out as a "new Thatcher, enemy of the working man" would be a much stronger attack, even if it isn't really true. The worst that could happen is splitting the right wing vote. At the moment it's UKIP talking about "taking on the establishment" and a "peoples army", which is the right move for them and attracts people disillusioned with the current political system.

Just don't know what to say about this.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #186 on: May 20, 2014, 11:17:10 am »
Good piece in the telegraph I thought...
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/benedictbrogan/100272113/voters-are-mad-as-hell-when-perhaps-they-should-give-thanks/
It is safe to bet that many of those who trouble to cast their vote on Thursday will be motivated less by a sense of civic duty than by a desire to stick one in the eye of the main political parties. Anger is the dominant feature of this most fractious of elections. The UK Independence Party is predicted to come top of the poll when the results are announced on Sunday night, although that outcome is not entirely certain: days of embarrassing scrutiny have taken their toll. It is clear though that Nigel Frottage will do well. Labour’s shambolic operation, by contrast, makes it likely that Ed Miliband will have to fend off doubts about his leadership. Nick Clegg is braced for the worst; certainly the Lib Dems expect to discover that coalition has proved for them to be a strategic disaster. The Tories will suffer one of those annoying results – embarrassing, but largely meaningless: all David Cameron wants is to get to the other side of next week in one piece.
In the aftermath of the expenses scandal, politicians have become used to being tormented by the electorate. Abuse by ballot box is the norm. In public, the Prime Minister makes an optimist’s case for why these elections should be taken as a chance to bolster the cause of reform in Brussels. But he knows he is whistling in the wind: Thursday gives the voters a free hit against everything they claim to despise. Even those who stay home will be displaying contempt of sorts. Their message will be: “What have you given us to vote for?”
When I interviewed him on Friday, Eric Pickles compared the mood on the doorstep with that of the deranged newscaster Howard Beale in the film Network, who urges his viewers to throw open their windows and shout: “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take this anymore.” In fact, it’s worth recalling the detail of that great Hollywood monologue. Beale, played with sweaty, swivel-eyed intensity by the late Peter Finch, rages at a world riven by economic failure, crime and social indifference, where people simply want to be left alone: “Well, I’m not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I don’t want you to protest. I don’t want you to riot – I don’t want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn’t know what to tell you to write. I don’t know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you’ve got to get mad.”
For Howard Beale read Nigel Frottage, who has proved himself adept at channelling popular anger with politics, but who has never pretended to know what to do about the economy, crime or foreign affairs. True, he has voiced admiration for Vladimir Putin, but his policy solutions boil down to taking Britain out of the EU in the hope that happier days will follow. And to encourage people to support him he wants them first to get mad. “Enough is enough” it says on the Ukip leaflet stuck through my door the other day. It focuses – as their campaign does – on immigration. “Our politicians have given away control of our country,” it declares. “We have no control over our borders, but we also have no control over who we trade with, how much we pay to heat our homes and feed our families or how we just get on with our lives.” None of this is actually true, but the sentiment taps in to the sense of alienation that Ukip relies on for its support. Mad, certainly, but also vaguely threatening. The emails from Ukip supporters that fill my inbox convey frustration that they have been abandoned by politicians. All they know is that they are mad – mad as hell – against the “LibLabCon” of the mainstream parties, and the media that supports them.
David Cameron, Ed Miliband and Nick Clegg struggle to find polite ways of acknowledging this anger without saying “there, there” and patting the voters on the hand. Public disillusionment is entirely natural, they murmur, unconvincingly, but what really matters – the stock phrase of the politician trying to change the subject – is who has the solutions. Politicians tiptoe around the electorate, terrified of making things worse. Imagine the difficulty: they shuffle nervously up to us to ask for our votes, only to have their heads bitten off – then have to watch in horror as that man Frottage, beer and fag in hand, cackles his way into the affections of the public. That feeling of impotence can be observed in Scotland too, where Alex Salmond plays the same cheeky-chappy game, running rings around the leaders of the other parties. Like Mr Frottage, his one-shot solution depends on the romance of Scotland striking off on its own, against which the hard realities of the arguments of the other party leaders sound wearisomely dull and timid.
Defying the collective pessimism is the greatest difficulty politicians face today. Party leaders strike optimistic poses, but must know that those fortunate enough to be members of the political establishment – whether MPs or commentators – should be cautious about claiming things are looking up when they know nothing about job insecurity, life on the margins of welfare, the awfulness of sink schools or the strangeness of foreign neighbours who seem to play the system without wanting to assimilate. Voters do not want bromides about how terrific things are, they want humility and a dose of reality.
Yet by every historic and contemporary measure known to man, the residents of the United Kingdom in 2014 have the unique good fortune to be living at a time of unequalled prosperity and security in a country which, by a series of fortunate events, has turned out to be the most tolerant, diverse, fair and gentle place yet devised by man.
This collection of nations, which allows all colours, faiths and nationalities to unite under the British banner, remains our best protection against the ethnic politics we see not only across the Channel, but among our own nationalist parties, be they the SNP or Ukip. Even the prospects for financial meltdown, the collapse of the Antarctic ice cap, the mass failure of antibiotics or any of the countless other potential disasters we face cannot change the simple fact that, for now at least, the things that make us angry should be as nothing compared to what should make us give daily thanks.
Politicians, of course, cannot put it quite like this. Panglossian optimism is not in keeping with the age. Mr Cameron has come close though, with his line about putting “the politics of the answer ahead of the politics of anger”. His dilemma is that our frustration with politics makes us blind to what the Conservatives and Lib Dems between them have pulled off since 2010: economic recovery, public sector pensions reform, sweeping educational changes, to name three. Against that the preoccupations with race and difference that Ukip plays with seem depressingly small. However we choose to explain the choice we face, however mad we are, and whether we vote on Thursday or don’t bother, Britain has never been defined by its anger, but by its ambition.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #187 on: May 20, 2014, 11:47:46 am »
Just watched that Frottage LBC  interview.....wow, he got hammered. LOVED it.
I like that James O' Brien guy, he's sometimes on The Big Questions on Sunday mornings, he's a good guy.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #188 on: May 20, 2014, 11:49:05 am »
Billy Bragg ‏@billybragg 6m

Probability that EU saved my generation from having to fight a European war doesn't stop #UKIP exploiting war dead

http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
« Reply #189 on: May 20, 2014, 12:37:55 pm »

Probability that EU saved my generation from having to fight a European war doesn't stop #UKIP exploiting war dead

Yeah because it was only the English who gave their lives. Why do people fall for this bulshit.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #190 on: May 20, 2014, 02:19:22 pm »
Yeah because it was only the English who gave their lives. Why do people fall for this bulshit.

I had the misfortune of seeing a party political broadcast by the English Democrats last week. Some bellend holding up a CGI placard saying "English, not British"... and then straight after that was a picture of a war memorial covered in poppies. It made me feel ill.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 02:22:39 pm by Sian »

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #191 on: May 20, 2014, 02:56:00 pm »
the ukip carnival thing is pure The Thick of It

total pr mess

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
« Reply #192 on: May 20, 2014, 03:04:14 pm »
I had the misfortune of seeing a party political broadcast by the English Democrats last week. Some bellend holding up a CGI placard saying "English, not British"... and then straight after that was a picture of a war memorial covered in poppies. It made me feel ill.

It's a shame as the one thing the horrors of the two world wars shows is how much we can achieve if we all stand together.

Offline RobinHood

• Kopite
« Reply #193 on: May 20, 2014, 05:21:52 pm »
One of the few times UKIP have been right about something - Croydon really is a dump.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #194 on: May 20, 2014, 05:41:59 pm »

They've only gone and done it again.

Billy Bragg's twitter follow-up

Ironic: The majority of the war graves in this #UKIP flyer are French (with crosses) British graves are bottom right.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline 00jebus

• Kopite
« Reply #195 on: May 20, 2014, 05:47:26 pm »

That, really does leave a bad taste in my mouth.

From the Guardian, about their "carnival" today http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/20/nigel-Frottage-fails-attend-croydon-rally-ukip-carnival

About why Farrage didn't turn up;

Asked whether Frottage was frightened of attending, McKenzie, who is standing in Croydon North, said: "If he hasn't turned up he is a very sensible man. It just shows how successive governments have continued to fail communities like Croydon.

"Croydon, which was once the place to be, the place to shop, has now become, sadly, a dump … How can you ask an international leader to turn up somewhere where he feels unsafe?"

He later added: "It would seem Nigel has probably decided not to come down here today. When you weigh up the situation, this a very sensible man. Croydon has deteriorated over the years under successive Labour and Tory governments and now we have a coalition where it has descended into depravity … It wouldn't feel safe."

To be fair, I can see why an international leader would avoid Croydon, but Frottage? International leader? stretching the definition a wee bit there aren't they?

Hope these things would hurry up and end, and Frottage can go back to Brussels, since he is obviously more at home in Europe.

Offline Rome-77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: May 20, 2014, 06:51:05 pm »

they gave their lives for the fight against the far rightwing like  Frottage

Offline GREGtheRED

• Kopite
« Reply #197 on: May 20, 2014, 07:42:55 pm »

Sickening poster!

I disagree with Billy Bragg's assessment however - it wasn't the EU that saved later generations from being thrust into another world war - it was, from a British perspective, the sacrifice of 300,000 lives from our grandfather's generation in the pursuit of the total destruction of the Nazi regime. That's not something we should forget or play down.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: May 20, 2014, 08:04:13 pm »
Sickening poster!

I disagree with Billy Bragg's assessment however - it wasn't the EU that saved later generations from being thrust into another world war - it was, from a British perspective, the sacrifice of 300,000 lives from our grandfather's generation in the pursuit of the total destruction of the Nazi regime. That's not something we should forget or play down.

I think Bragg's point is that the EU has played a huge part in maintaining peace in a continent that had been ravaged by war for centuries.

Offline GREGtheRED

• Kopite
« Reply #199 on: May 20, 2014, 10:07:06 pm »
I think Bragg's point is that the EU has played a huge part in maintaining peace in a continent that had been ravaged by war for centuries.

Yeah that's something that cannot be denied.

UKIP doing a spectacular job of making themselves look like a genuinely hideous outfit again though.