Author Topic: Danny Baker...  (Read 9759 times)

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Danny Baker...
« Reply #40 on: November 1, 2012, 06:52:44 pm »
I find him overrated to be honest.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #41 on: November 1, 2012, 10:48:34 pm »
went off on one live on air today after finding out his bbc london show was being axed

Didn't so much go off on one as broadcast a sustained rant at the dimwitted suits/c*nts who've made this ridiculous decision..just to save a few quid....It was a fantastic two hours of radio..well worth a trip over to the iplayer before it gets pulled by some piece of cheese at the BBC

The worst thing is, the shows since he's been back after he beat cancer have been the very best non-football shows he's ever done...and some of the best radio ive ever heard.

Here's to him resurrecting himself at some other station....the airwaves are shite without him

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: November 1, 2012, 10:56:04 pm »
Will his stint on Radio 5 in the mornings end? I'm coming in here from an angle of 'Oh please say yes it will'.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #43 on: November 1, 2012, 11:32:00 pm »
Will his stint on Radio 5 in the mornings end? I'm coming in here from an angle of 'Oh please say yes it will'.

You and other various Alan Davies groupies will be dismayed to hear that the answer is no.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: November 2, 2012, 08:15:46 am »

The worst thing is, the shows since he's been back after he beat cancer have been the very best non-football shows he's ever done...and some of the best radio ive ever heard.

Here's to him resurrecting himself at some other station....the airwaves are shite without him

I couldn't put it any better. What is it with these BBC knobheads who don't recognise that? The only radio show where I'm genuinely disapointed if I miss it (I'll fathom out the podcasts one day). He even managed to make Trevor Francis sound interesting.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2012, 09:44:59 am »
Saturday's show with British born NASA astronaut Piers Sellers.

Terrific interview by anyone's standards...even Danny's

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ny2n8
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:47:09 am by Pistolero »

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2012, 10:25:32 am »
Saturday's show with British born NASA astronaut Piers Sellers.

Terrific interview by anyone's standards...even Danny's

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ny2n8

Have to agree, get on it people. As good as modern radio gets, really.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2012, 01:06:01 pm »
FYI, Interview starts at 1:06 pop pickers...

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2012, 02:27:38 pm »
Ego the size of the the Gherkin.

As was pointed out at the time, the assistants on the BBC London show had been paid a pittance for all the years the show ran and he never had a problem with it (even during the periodic renegotiation of his contract) until his show was axed`and suddenly it was "won't somebody think of the assistants?"
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2012, 03:16:33 pm »

As was pointed out at the time, the assistants on the BBC London show had been paid a pittance for all the years the show ran and he never had a problem with it (even during the periodic renegotiation of his contract) until his show was axed`and suddenly it was "won't somebody think of the assistants?"

who are you quoting?

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2012, 04:13:03 pm »
who are you quoting?

It was discussed on an Irish radio show about the Arts at the time it happened. 
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2012, 06:46:15 pm »
Oh I see...just some clueless talkingheads/plantpots

as you were

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2012, 01:32:28 am »

It was discussed on an Irish radio show about the Arts at the time it happened. 

Well, of course, if it was discussed on Irish Radio, then fuck me it must be true. Hang the cockney twat!
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline Bootle

• Legacy Fan
  • Prove that we live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2012, 09:15:22 pm »
Some great/awful news from the man himself, depending upon your viewpoint:

Danny Baker@prodnose
Hooray! There are plans bubbling up nicely to put the Baker & Kelly football show back on air. That's something on the + side for 2013 eh?

For me, these were the best radio shows I've ever heard, so am certainly hoping this come off.

Offline sidneyroughdiamond

• Legacy Fan
  • There is a light that never goes out
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2012, 09:47:11 am »
Some great/awful news from the man himself, depending upon your viewpoint:

Danny Baker@prodnose
Hooray! There are plans bubbling up nicely to put the Baker & Kelly football show back on air. That's something on the + side for 2013 eh?

For me, these were the best radio shows I've ever heard, so am certainly hoping this come off.

Thats brilliant news. His 9 or so podcasts were excellent until his financial backing collapsed. Really enjoy the two of them together (hopefully with teletext Alex as well).
Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2013, 09:00:15 am »
Danny Baker ‏@prodnose
World! The thing that was Baker & Kelly Football Show is to be once more! I can say no more for now but it is definitely happening and real.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2013, 10:10:53 am »
Great news!

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2013, 05:05:48 pm »
Neither of them especially have a clue about football.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: March 1, 2013, 07:59:14 am »

In reality most of us don't have much of a clue, though we all like to think we have. Regardless, the two of them are entertaining and put on a good show.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #59 on: August 2, 2013, 08:44:40 am »
hark...one of the few things Im looking forward to in the forthcoming season...

http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/football/sometimes-right-sometimes-wrong-always-certain-S11363815262648

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #60 on: August 2, 2013, 08:51:28 am »

wider than a Geoff Thomas shot.....

Offline ewok-red

• Anarchist, potentially violent but lacks bottle.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2013, 06:46:31 pm »
He just sounds so comfortable on the radio but looks proper uncomfortable on TV.  I love the radio show.  I think its interesting that he gets so many women calling in - unlike most 5Live programmes would be my observation.  Sometimes reminds me of Peel's Home Truth's programme.  I love the fact that he lets people speak and tell their story.

Q3. No sauce at all
"the music isn't here to save the world, its there to save your life"  - skip jones, in 'stories we could tell' tony parsons, harper collins / qpd

Online John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2013, 07:20:34 pm »
Currently reading his autobiography, well the first volume. Going to sea in a sieve. Really enjoying it and unsurprisingly he carries his quick wit of his radio shows onto the written word.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2013, 07:39:05 pm »
diligently working my way through an 8GB archive of old Danny Baker shows courtesy of the Internet Treehouse.....Radio 5 / GLR / BBC London / Talk Radio and Virgin et al....no matter what year or station he's at - it's all pure-spun radio gold...

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2013, 08:08:18 pm »
diligently working my way through an 8GB archive of old Danny Baker shows courtesy of the Internet Treehouse.....Radio 5 / GLR / BBC London / Talk Radio and Virgin et al....no matter what year or station he's at - it's all pure-spun radio gold...
Thanks for the heads up. I catch the R5 show as the podcast usually. Will enjoy hearing some of the older ones now.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2013, 10:14:49 am »

Cheers for that mate - didn't realise that was available.

If his original Radio 5 [in the days before it went all "modern" and became 5 Live] breakfast shows are on there, I'll be made up. Regularly used to have to stop the car on the way to work because I was laughing so much.

By the way all, his autobiography is fantastic too.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2013, 10:57:15 am »

If his original Radio 5 [in the days before it went all "modern" and became 5 Live] breakfast shows are on there, I'll be made up. Regularly used to have to stop the car on the way to work because I was laughing so much.

PM'd you mate....

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2013, 11:04:59 am »
Still a classic!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hhk8VVS2AU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I remember being in the car listening to that and having to pull over to the side of the road because I was laughing so much.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2013, 11:13:43 am »

They know a lot about football. If you mean are they great analysts of football tactics then no, but football as fan culture, going to the match, the hopes and shattered dreams, the things that make it so special. Brilliantly summed by Baker and Kelly in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTjMNgKxjAk
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 11:15:46 am by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2013, 02:41:18 pm »
They know a lot about football. If you mean are they great analysts of football tactics then no, but football as fan culture, going to the match, the hopes and shattered dreams, the things that make it so special. Brilliantly summed by Baker and Kelly in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTjMNgKxjAk
I meant football as a game not as a culture. I'll give them the stuff around football that you've mentioned.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2013, 02:58:24 pm »
I meant football as a game not as a culture. I'll give them the stuff around football that you've mentioned.

not for nothing but whats the point of knowing about football as just a game?.....take the culture out of it and its fuckin pointless......

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2013, 03:30:03 pm »
There's tens of thousands on here who know fuck all about footy.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2013, 07:10:52 pm »
not for nothing but whats the point of knowing about football as just a game?.....take the culture out of it and its fuckin pointless......
Didn't say you should take the culture out of it at all.

I don't have a problem with them talking about being fans, the culture around it and everything like that. And they do say that they don't really talk about football as a game and the 'jargon' around it.

But at the same time, I've heard them contradict themselves before and actually try and talk the game and ideas around it and be really critical of managers and specific tactical things, and frankly they talk nonsense of the highest order. All I'm saying is that if you're going to say that formations and 'jargon' isn't what the point of football is (I have zero problem with anybody saying that by the way) and say that you don't know anything about that and it's dull to talk about it, then don't contradict yourself by trying to talk about it and being really critical of other people's ideas, which is something I've seen them do before.

That's my problem with them. I'm not questioning their knowledge or experience or presenting of the culture of fans and general enjoyment of the things that surround football.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2017, 12:57:49 pm »
He's currently doing a nationwide tour titled 'Cradle to the Stage'.

Saw it in Durham earlier in the week and what a cracking night. The bloke never stops. Over two hours of pure entertainment from his upbringing in South London, to anecdotes about stars he's encountered from Robert Plant to Spike Milligan. And of course a bit about Millwall, which included a story about a hand grenade being thrown on to the pitch at Brentford in the 1960s! Finished with a story about a family funeral that was as black but as funny as anything I've seen from any top comedian.

Go see if you get the chance.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2017, 01:30:46 pm »
cant wait ...forced to miss the previous Salford date due to work but a new one was announced last week  8) .....nyumm nyumm......great to see the tour is going down a storm...sold out signs akimbo.......absolute fkn lunacy though that Danny doesn't have a full time radio gig...dwarfs every other broadcaster in the country

Offline bigal

• Not Bi. Or a Gal for that matter.
  • Kopite
  • Allez les rouges
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2017, 09:39:11 am »

Exactly that. I was talking about that show the other night, there was a real freedom to it.

Went to see him in Durham the other night and it was great fun. He talks for well over 2 hours (interval not included) and combines humour, anecdote, pathos from a non-scripted. though well practised, stream of memory. Would have loved to hear about the rock and roll years but he promised to do that next time.

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
  • Club first country second
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2017, 01:36:10 pm »
TalkSport would be well advised to get Dannyin and get rid of Jim cnuting White. He must say his own name a thousand times an hour, and a tool in general.
metallic on psn, cod4 buddies welcome

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2017, 11:34:30 am »
TalkSport would be well advised to get Dannyin and get rid of Jim cnuting White. He must say his own name a thousand times an hour, and a tool in general.
Not up to me what others do, but a lot of us are swerving talkshite since the takeover from News Corporation, the parent company of the S*n. Colin Murray left because he is a Liverpool fan. I just went over full time to r5 for sport talk. I prefer Danny where he is on Saturday mornings.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2017, 09:20:20 am »
Never understand why anyone thinks this man is entertaining
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2017, 02:54:29 pm »
Absolute top notch night at the Lowry on Weds...sat for over 3 hours engrossed and in stitches listening to Dan's tales of childhood / family and various oddbod celebs. Haven't laughed so much in a long time....highly recommended if he's 'round your way

Brown.