Author Topic: It's important to win... but more important not to lose.  (Read 34345 times)

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
Re: It's important to win... but more important not to lose.
« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2009, 07:00:51 am »

…I’m not one to hark on about the past, but back in my day we used to play in the snow and the old orange balls would come out. There was none of this fancy under soil heating, the pitches were an absolute state and we were lucky if the grass was even cut regularly. To counteract the bitter cold we would wear our warmest briefs, a thermal vest, two pairs of socks and also an extra coating of that warm oily shit that you would rub on your legs. (Oh by the way, what is the name of that? The smell of that alone and the sound of everyones studs on the solid concrete floor in the changing rooms was always enough to get me fired up). There weren’t any complaints of the physical aspect of the game because after all, we were not playing netball. No luxury of bubble wrap and cotton wool, we simply shrugged it off and got on with it. Before the next game, we would have an extra serving of shredded wheat and an extra glass of milk for our brittle bones…

Sorry no offence mate. Some of that it obviously a piss take, but I’m sure you get my point.

Ah yess.... the orange ball

The oil....sloane oil per chance? 
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Barnes & Beardsley

• Anny Roader
« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2009, 07:17:22 am »
^^^
That could be it mate. I’m not sure of the exact name but I’m not exaggerating when I say the smell was distinctive and beautiful!

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2009, 07:26:30 am »
^^^
That could be it mate. I’m not sure of the exact name but I’m not exaggerating when I say the smell was distinctive and beautiful!

yes i have used much of that oil for muscle strains, etc in the cold of the english winter while plying rugger...

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 07:38:11 am by jckliew »
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Ozzy_Red

• about Sharon in OK magazine again.. Not the sharpest shrimp on the barbie but probably the most irritating
  • Legacy Fan
  • A pig. In a cage. On antibiotics
« Reply #203 on: January 17, 2009, 10:09:12 am »
I agree in part with the original post, but, if the attack functioned as Rafa wanted them to (not getting into that now can't be stuffed) then there wouldn't be a problem. I think the reason behind the draws is poor attacking play, witch is the fault of everyone, not just the manager or the players, or Rick Parry and the owners. And it is something that needs to be fixed by everyone.
Rarfer out! Go the Liverpool Reds Football Franchise!

Wanker : Manchester United fan. Follower of Manchester United. Denzien of Manchester. More likely to know more about white dog poo than football.

Offline yafoy

• lazy git - sabu pundit on pot
  • Legacy Fan
  • a RED who occupies Europe
    • EuRED Liverpool UNofficial Supporters Network
« Reply #204 on: January 17, 2009, 12:59:45 pm »
Ah yess.... the orange ball

The oil....sloane oil per chance? 

or white horse oils...?...should get a transfer to the oldies thread..?..
Shanks: "Some people believe football is a matter of life and  death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that. - At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it"

Offline Snoopy29

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: January 17, 2009, 01:06:26 pm »
I dnt see the players working hard enough, the amount of work they put in, SHAMBLES,
this is the rarest opportunity for us, and what do we do...BLOW IT...

Thanks alot RAFA!
“I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us!” “For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

(Bill Shankly)

Offline lfc_1992

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #206 on: January 17, 2009, 02:20:48 pm »
Indeed, Spurs being a prime example.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: January 17, 2009, 02:22:16 pm »
or white horse oils...?...should get a transfer to the oldies thread..?..

Wintergreen?
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #208 on: January 17, 2009, 04:12:52 pm »
Why don't you just answer the question I asked instead of answering it with another one. We might get somewhere then.

Because you never asked one. There wasn't a single question mark in your whole post. Just a sarcastic rant, twisting what I said into some sort of tirade against Rafa.

I stand by what I said, we should have been more attacking against Stoke. I think its generally accepted that starting with Kuyt up front, when we had a fit Keane and Torres on the bench was madness. I love Rafa, but he isn't always blameless. He is a human being like the rest of us.

I admire you blind faith in him, but he doesn't always get it right. No one does.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #209 on: January 17, 2009, 04:25:47 pm »
Newcastle offered us all the time and space in the world, Stoke got in our faces. Newcastle allowed our lightweight duo of Benayoun and Lucas room to use their footballing ability, Stoke bullied them off the ball and out of the game. Newcastle gifted Gerrard the freedom of St James Park, Stoke kept him tightly marked and cut off his supply. Newcastle committed men forward and were easy to hit on the counter, Stoke defended in numbers and remained compact throughout. Newcastle allowed us to play through their middle, Stoke forced us outside, with our only real outlet on the right being Jamie Carragher. Newcastle were a complete and utter shambles in defence and played right into our hands, Stoke were well organized, with their entire game based on stopping us play, which proved worryingly easy for them to do.

They were 2 totally different types of opposition requiring different approaches so I don't for one minute buy the "if it worked against Newcastle it should have worked against Stoke" argument.

Even if the initial team selection can be justified (though I felt it was wrong even before kickoff), our game stagnated after around 20 minutes and yet we waited until an hour had passed before making our first change, once again leaving our £20m striker on the bench for the full 90.

We all applauded Rafa's boldness after the City comeback earlier in the season and I'm sure many hoped it would be a sign of things to come. Unfortunately he has reverted to type somewhat as the season has progressed, showing very little will to "go for it" late in games, despite the fact we've now drawn 5 of our last 8 against mostly very ordinary opposition and look set to be overtaken by Utd, whose odds of winning the title are shortening almost by the day.

We've shown a weakness for years at breaking down stubborn, well organized defences and that continues to be the case. While I'm sure the quality of our attacking players (or lack thereof) contributes to that, I believe Rafa's (overly) cautious approach does too, which is something we can more easily address.

That's spot on mate, and pretty much what I've tried to say. Newcastle were a shambles. Stoke were well organized and defended well. A different approach was needed and it was clear by half time. I think Rafa was happy to make sure he secured 1 point, instead of gambling for the 3, and that the essence of this whole thread.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #210 on: January 17, 2009, 04:55:02 pm »
You are saying that Man Utd have won 9 titles and 2 European Cups because they threw an extra forward on for 10 mins?Tactical genius that Ferguson feller.

Vidic moves upfront, Scholes and Giggs on.... United score in the last 5 minutes..... no correlation
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline withgreataplomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: January 17, 2009, 04:56:54 pm »
If they score in the 50th minute and win, then fine, I have no qualms,
but to score time and time again in fucking injury time, really galling.

And what about Villa?, can there be a luckier team in England?,
first goal a handball and the penalty awarded for a foul outside the area,
an absolute joke.
"There are places I remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all"

Offline PassAndMove

• Whinge and Moan
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #212 on: January 17, 2009, 04:56:56 pm »
That could have been written by Tomkins thats how much head in the sand Rafa arse licking it was. The truth is its much more important to be brave in this league than worry about not losing...

Offline STORMTROOPER

• RAWK Pedagogue.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: January 17, 2009, 04:58:04 pm »
manc fuckers make yer sick.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: January 17, 2009, 04:59:44 pm »
Two perfect examples of what happens when you're a little more aggressive, a little more daring.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 05:07:57 pm by abhred »
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: January 17, 2009, 05:01:53 pm »
Two perfect examples of what happens when you're a little bore aggressive, a little more daring.
absolutly fucking right, cant fucking believe it!
what was going to be a great day for us, turned into a nightmare with 5 minutes to go!

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: January 17, 2009, 05:02:38 pm »
Two perfect examples of what happens when you're a little bore aggressive, a little more daring.
And thats why they have been the best team in England over the last few years.

mines a pint

Offline MrButler

• Anny Roader
« Reply #217 on: January 17, 2009, 05:03:27 pm »
Really don't believe that ...someone up above has got it in for us.

Offline Crackerjack Sam

• Legacy Fan
  • Egyptian Magician
« Reply #218 on: January 17, 2009, 05:03:29 pm »
PSN ID - hajme1   
Sticking to RAWK I am.  Real forum, real mods, real fans, fair and unbiased opinions etc..etc.. 8)

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: January 17, 2009, 05:07:05 pm »
Really don't believe that ...someone up above has got it in for us.
Might waken Rafa up and go for the win from now on.
mines a pint

Offline Drewas

• Kopite
  • Rotate on this!
« Reply #220 on: January 17, 2009, 05:08:08 pm »
Monday we will see if Rafa and the boys have the appetite for a scrap for the title.

A draw I regret to say will mean the end of our Premiership assault.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: January 17, 2009, 05:08:41 pm »
Might waken Rafa up and go for the win from now on.

You'd fucking hope so.

Really, really think this could be the kick up the backside we need.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline Daranoza

• Legacy Fan
  • Once more unto the breach, dear friends.
« Reply #222 on: January 17, 2009, 05:09:04 pm »
More than ever, now, we need to throw caution to the wind (within reason, of course) and actually go out for the win. There is no point, with five minutes remaining at 0-0, attempting to preserve the point. You get nowhere like that, as those two bastard teams proved today. They DID throw all they had. They reaped results from that, too. Three points, for being brave.

We need to be brave from this point on. The meek don't inherit the earth in Football.
Blank.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: January 17, 2009, 05:09:05 pm »
Monday we will see if Rafa and the boys have the appetite for a scrap for the title.

A draw I regret to say will mean the end of our Premier League assault.

It really won't. Grow some balls. I hope none of you negative fuckers are actually going to the game on Monday. No wonder it's so quiet with you lot shitting your pants you're so scared of Man United.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 05:11:05 pm by smicer07 »

Offline withgreataplomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: January 17, 2009, 05:10:31 pm »
Liverpool with a bit more daring, and a little of that Manc luck would be coasting at the top now.
"There are places I remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all"

Offline Daranoza

• Legacy Fan
  • Once more unto the breach, dear friends.
« Reply #225 on: January 17, 2009, 05:11:17 pm »
Liverpool with a bit more daring, and a little of that Manc luck would be coasting at the top now.

Unfortunately we haven't had either.
Blank.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #226 on: January 17, 2009, 05:11:35 pm »
Fully expected the mancs to score today, unlike when in certain games we're playing you could put your house on us not scoring.

We're just not ruthless enough, and it's a combination of our tactics, desire and ability that could cost us this season.

Rafa said after the Stoke game, it was important we didn't lose that game, to me that's stating the obvious, in my opinion it was 2 massive points lost. Maybe Rafa was livid in private about drawing with Stoke, but he didn't seem too upset in the interview I heard.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 05:14:34 pm by Alloy »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Drewas

• Kopite
  • Rotate on this!
« Reply #227 on: January 17, 2009, 05:11:51 pm »
It really won't. Grow some balls.

It really will, dont go for knee jerk, just think momentum is with the scum.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #228 on: January 17, 2009, 05:12:29 pm »
Well now its up to us. Are we going to go out there Rafa and try and pummell these teams into submission? or are we gonna 'control' games at a cautious approach and end the season in a few weeks?

Its up to you, i hope you make the right choice.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: January 17, 2009, 05:12:41 pm »
It really will, dont go for knee jerk, just think momentum is with the scum.

You just went for the knee jerk. It's JANUARY.

Offline freehandjunkie

• Anny Roader
« Reply #230 on: January 17, 2009, 05:13:01 pm »
as long as rafa doesnt make another selection cock up like he did in last game and our players perform then you gotta be confident. all the teams below us are getting the results the pressure is now on us to do the same
baldrick i have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel!,,,,....

Offline maher

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone..
« Reply #231 on: January 17, 2009, 05:13:34 pm »
i know its disappointed for us to see manu score in the 90th minute ... but remember
we gonna win the league not because manu lose, its because we gonna win games!
come on Red Men..let's beat Everton..

Offline RAFA - 6 - 19

• Fighteningly inept.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: January 17, 2009, 05:13:35 pm »
how are people saying we havent had luck?  You watch the first half of the season?

Offline Southderryred

• Main Stander
  • RED AND PROUD
« Reply #233 on: January 17, 2009, 05:14:26 pm »
IF we dont win the league this year we have one man to blame. some of rafas decisions this year are mindboggling. we should be 5-6 points clear at least. if we had showed some ambition to won some of the games we drew we would be well clear. we had the chance this year to won the league but i now think our chance is gone. i do hope iam wrong. :no :no

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: January 17, 2009, 05:15:23 pm »
IF we dont win the league this year we have one man to blame. some of rafas decisions this year are mindboggling. we should be 5-6 points clear at least. if we had showed some ambition to won some of the games we drew we would be well clear. we had the chance this year to won the league but i now think our chance is gone. i do hope iam wrong. :no :no

I think RAWK really, really, really needs a cull.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #235 on: January 17, 2009, 05:15:27 pm »
It really won't. Grow some balls. I hope none of you negative fuckers are actually going to the game on Monday. No wonder it's so quiet with you lot shitting your pants you're so scared of Man United.

Listen mate, theres one thing about United that you cant say about us. They RISK. Pure and simple. Thats why they turn what looks like draws into wins time and time and time again. Its like groundhog day when they are playing. You crap yourself becuase you know they will do there damndest to win.

We arnt like that, our manager isnt like that.

But now hes gonna have to change you see because it really isnt in our hands now and eff me, even Aston Villa are looking good.

No time to ponce about with clever line ups, over analyised opponents, we simply need to go out there, show the desire to win.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: January 17, 2009, 05:15:44 pm »
rafa, please just go for it this year... please. we really have nothing to lose anymore.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: January 17, 2009, 05:16:43 pm »

Fuck. King. Hell.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: January 17, 2009, 05:17:37 pm »
Listen mate, theres one thing about United that you cant say about us. They RISK. Pure and simple. Thats why they turn what looks like draws into wins time and time and time again. Its like groundhog day when they are playing. You crap yourself becuase you know they will do there dmandest to win.

We arnt like that, our manager isnt like that.

But now hes gonna have to change you see because it really isnt in our hands now and eff me, even Aston Villa are looking good.

No time to ponce about with clever line ups, over analyised opponents, we simply need to go out there, show the desire to win.

Nothing to do with what I posted. Too many people are afraid of Man United, it's totally embarassing. What's better- the players playing with a positive vibrant crowd supporting them all the way, or a bunch of whinging c*nts sitting on their hands and biting their nails? Win our games and we'll win the league. Oh, and by the way, it IS in our hands.

Offline Southderryred

• Main Stander
  • RED AND PROUD
« Reply #239 on: January 17, 2009, 05:18:39 pm »
I think RAWK really, really, really needs a cull.

can u explain ureself mate. are forums not a matter of oponions? are u saying rafas decision making has been good. i believe i have raised some valid points