Author Topic: Should Liverpool Persist With The 3-4-3 Formation?  (Read 151782 times)

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
Re: Should Liverpool Persist With The 3-4-3 Formation?
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2015, 12:48:28 pm »
I've been saying in other threads for a bit now that we shouldn't be in a rush to fuck with that defensive shape, not just because I like how we have our best personnel for the job working back there (a couple of my personal faves too  :-*), but because this is the shape that's helped dig us out of a rut and start looking pretty good agan, and so the players have an inner confidence in it now.

The most obvious use of it in a best XI for this season with everyone fit has (as far as I'm concerned) a good balance of cutting edge (and a proper attacking focal point), creativity & trickiness (more than enough "in reserve" on hand too; lots of room for swapping without a big creative drop-off), robust box-to-boxery and energy/stamina in transition out wide, as well as that all-important more stable defensive bedrock:

The trio might well ultimately be broken up by Dan's return, but only if Brendan trusts Skrtel & Sakho to have gained enough confidence from a significant solid period to revert back to a central pairing, and to allieviate a selection headache for himself.

The thing about the 3, with Lucas and another guarding them and the wingbacks tracking back when the numbers are required to shore up the wide areas, is that everyone is looking out for each other more now, there's plenty of cover on hand most of the time (except for when we've piled up the pitch en masse trying to snatch a game back). I also think it'll be a better environment to integrate (rehabilitate!) Lovren back into, when he inevitably gets a game again. It might be a good experience for him to slot comfortably into a chunky highly-cooperative defensive unit that's proved pretty strong and have loads of belief again that we can shut teams out, rather than having the spotlight trained back on him as he tries to cope with the responsibility of being one of a central two again. In this three, he might gradually prove his worth in the odd games he's given.
I would personally make this our set defence for the rest of the season though, until something happens out of our hands to break it up.

This would appear to be the natural outfield lineup at our disposal when everyone's fit, with a minimum of faffing about with the efficient system we've discovered:

Can     Skrtel     Sakho
(Toure)     (Toure)     (Lovren)
Markovic                                             Moreno
(Manq/Flan/Glen)                                (Enrique/Flan)

Henderson     Lucas
   (Allen)        (???)

Sterling                             Coutinho
(Gerrard/Lazar)                     (Lallana/Ibe)
Sturridge
(Sterling/Borini/Balo/Lambert)

But will we alter that shape specifically to get Sturridge and Balotelli playing together as a strike pair? There's a question. Curiosity killed the cat, and it's probably the only way Balotelli has a chance of becoming anything approaching a success with us. Plus, how many starts are we going to be giving Gerrard now, when everyone is available? Those attacking midfield/support slots look strong in terms of quality and depth (arguably our very best players operate here) right now, and Lallana will be getting plenty of games himself.

Depending on how far we take this, next season will (if we're not completely daft, that is) see us with better strike options, i.e. someone able to both deputise for and work alongside Sturridge. That might be primarily Origi, or yet another. And Balotelli might well still be around, who knows? It's likely then that we'd start seeing much more of a proper strike par up top, so the 1-2 would become a more common sight for us than the 2-1.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2015, 12:53:33 pm »
Think POP is spot on. This is a time that Rodgers needs to show strength of character and leadership. To my thinking it's a key moment in his management career and one that could make or break his tenure with us. We have quite a few big names (Lovren, Balotelli, Gerrard & Johnson) that I think perhaps present a challenge for Rodgers. By my thinking none of them are in our best XI and Gerrard is the only one I'd regularly look to use in rotation but it requires making some uncomfortable calls and possibly an admission of mistakes in the transfer windows.

Last season Rodgers had to make the right call pulling Lucas from the starting line up which arguably cost the Brazilain a place in the national team for the world cup. From what we've seen in press conference it looks the likes he's made a similarly good call with Balotelli. I think from Rodgers perspective it's a lot harder to pull Gerrard from big games though, from what we've seen (rested last game) it doesn't look like he's going to do it.  Given contract fresh negotiations I also worry Rodgers might favour Johnson and will look for an opportunity to play Lovren over Sakho as he has done for a lot of this season. There is no real evidence to suggest he will do this but it something I think is possible.

Mignolet
                      Can           Skrtel          Sakho
Markovic                                                             Moreno
                           Henderson     Lucas
                   Lallana                         Coutinho
                                    Sterling

By my thinking that's our best line up and what we should be looking to play against Chelsea tonight (assuming Sturridge is not fit to start). I think ideally Gerrard and Sturridge come on around 70 minutes as impact subs. Rather than this though I think Rodgers will go for Gerrard instead of Lallana and possible Johnson instead of Markovic. By my thinking both decisions weaken us and these are the type of decisions I think could cause Rodgers to come undone.

Gerrard was excellent last week, Lallana came on and didn't perform as well.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2015, 01:08:11 pm »

Gerrard was excellent last week, Lallana came on and didn't perform as well.

I agree.

My opinion isn't based off one game though or even a few. Bottom line is i don't want Gerrard playing 120 minutes and I d rather him there for the penalty shoot out than opening kickoff. Obviously there is no guarantee of extra time but I think Lallana season to date has been stronger than Gerrard.  Particularly in regards to pressing and work rate.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2015, 01:10:07 pm »
If we will stick with this formation our squad is of course quite unbalanced. We need 3 CBs + 3 backup (now have 5 in total if Can is considered as CB) Toure might leave. Wisdom, Manquillo and Johnson are also possible alternatives there, but unproven. I'm not sure how many of the FBs could do a good job as WB. We have too many strikers, but a lack of quality. We have many attacking midfielders already, and if we would switch to 3-4-1-2 we would have way too many. Not counting Ibe and Origi. Inner mid looks a bit thin, with Gerrard leaving, Can looking boss as CB and the injury-prone Allen.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2015, 01:16:52 pm »
I think it would be a big and gratuitous mistake if BR concludes that 4231 has to be removed for good.

It's a very useful formation and we actually have the personnel, with the pedigree and the skills, to play it to a high standard, both as a 'defensive' formation and as a more 'attacking' formation.

But we don't have a coach who can make it work.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: January 27, 2015, 01:20:41 pm »
We're not really lacking in wingbacks though, at the club. As an introduction to the first team, we could play Ibe, Ojo or Sinclair in those positions, to give them a grounding in the league without the pressure inherent in playing central positions. They all have pace, passing, mobility, and like a shot. They would be perfect. It would mean ditching a few to make way (Johnson, Enrique and possibly Manquillo), but the players are there to play wingback, without spending a single penny in transfers.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2015, 01:30:39 pm »
But we don't have a coach who can make it work.
Still haven't seen him trying it without Lovren/Johnson, who in my opinion would ruin any defense, and with Lucas/Henderson as the 2. I think it could work.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2015, 01:34:35 pm »
We're not really lacking in wingbacks though, at the club. As an introduction to the first team, we could play Ibe, Ojo or Sinclair in those positions, to give them a grounding in the league without the pressure inherent in playing central positions. They all have pace, passing, mobility, and like a shot. They would be perfect. It would mean ditching a few to make way (Johnson, Enrique and possibly Manquillo), but the players are there to play wingback, without spending a single penny in transfers.

We're lacking quality wing backs though. I agree that we have a large pool of wide players at different age ranges all of which if they're willing to do the running could be very good wing backs but can we really commit to this system with only Markovic and Moreno as quality 'first team' wing backs? I think we need one more to give enough the room for the young lads to develop.

But if we commit to this system i'm sure we could raise the funds by selling Flanno and Enrique and letting Manquillo go. If we do that our squad is actually well set to play this system given the number of talented centre backs. Glen Johnson is obviously seen as RCB in a back 3, we've got guys like Wisdom and Illori to come back as well who i'd be more inclined to use in a back 3 at this point than a 4. Get a quality wing back, get a quality keeper, swap Balotelli for someone decent(obvs Borini goes and Origi comes in) and we'd be ready to fully commit to 343 for 2015/16.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2015, 01:41:44 pm »
selling Flanno
WHAT?!? GET OUT, NOW!  ;D

Seriously though, that's harsh on the lad, and would be a mistake, imho. Di Steflano's LFC journey is still only in its opening chapters, and we need a couple of scousers holding the fort now with Gerrard swanning off to tan his Hollywood balls. And you can't get much scouser than Flan and Rossiter.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2015, 02:34:11 pm »
All these players depend on the players we have at the club at the time. We wouldn't dare stray from a diamond with 4 at the back if Suarez was still at the club and Sturridge was fit. At the moment, the 1 up top with 2 attacking midfielder or a fluid 3 works particularly when Sturridge is back.

If we sign a top striker next summer then will that fit?

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2015, 02:38:01 pm »
All these players depend on the players we have at the club at the time. We wouldn't dare stray from a diamond with 4 at the back if Suarez was still at the club and Sturridge was fit. At the moment, the 1 up top with 2 attacking midfielder or a fluid 3 works particularly when Sturridge is back.

Surely everything stays the same we just configure the front 3 differently. Instead of two 10's and a 9 we go with two 9 and a 10. Pretty much the same configuration we had from those 3 players in a 442D with Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling. But the 3 at the back, wing backs and two controlling midfielders doesn't have to change, i wouldn't have thought.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2015, 02:39:24 pm »

I think we might have moved to the 3-4-1-2 or a 3-3-2-2 if we had the same defensive problems though. Three at the back suits Rodgers and his attacking principles. Four at the back requires a lot more work that doesn't seem to get done. Three at the back gives central defensive solidity without having to do as much work

Edit - but having said that, if you have a brilliant attack, it means you don't have to defend so much, and that might negate any talk of defensive format in the end. Right now, though, we don't even have a serviceable attack. We're all midfield, and without a finisher, we won't really know how good or bad this 3-4-3 variant will be.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:45:05 pm by PhaseOfPlay »

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2015, 02:40:48 pm »

Maybe play 3-4-1-2?  Sterling/Coutinho as the #10?

Generally I agree with you.  Formation will depend on players available.

You've also got to hope that eventually the centre halves become comfortable with playing in a back 4 so we have that flexibility.  Right now the 3 at the back suits them.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2015, 02:43:53 pm »
I think we might have moved to the 3-4-1-2 or a 3-3-2-2 if we had the same defensive problems though. Three at the back suits Rodgers and his attacking principles. Four at the back requires a lot more work that doesn't seem to get done. Three at the back gives central defensive solidity without having to do as much work

It depends i guess as to what his motivations were for the switch. Was it to get a number of attackers on the field? Was it for the defensive problems we had? Dunno. This system is working well but as we have seen with Gerrard and having Suarez and Sturridge, the players he has had have influenced Rodgers in his thinking. Hence I think future transfers in and out will continue to influence what formation we employ.

The advantage is that we do have several systems we can switch to for differing circumstances. Lets hope that all this tactical development the players are building actually results in a side that in the future can win trophies and challenge for the league more.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #134 on: January 27, 2015, 02:50:58 pm »
3 at the back could be the compromise or even a learning environment for the centre backs.  Once they are more comfortable dealing with the additional space we can go 4 at the back or essentially 2v2 at the back with the full backs pushing on.

This could be where Rodgers has perhaps underestimated just how difficult it is for centre backs coming into this Liverpool team.  I'm not sure if there is 1 that can't say he hasn't had a complete shocker. 

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2015, 03:00:56 pm »
3 at the back could be the compromise or even a learning environment for the centre backs.  Once they are more comfortable dealing with the additional space we can go 4 at the back or essentially 2v2 at the back with the full backs pushing on.

This could be where Rodgers has perhaps underestimated just how difficult it is for centre backs coming into this Liverpool team.  I'm not sure if there is 1 that can't say he hasn't had a complete shocker.

3 at the back and 4 at the back are different though. It's not like you're removing one player, and everything's the same. The dynamics are different. If you play 3 at the back, you have to train for 3 at the back. If you play 4 at the back, you have to train for four. I think for Rodgers, 3 defenders allows him to get away with less defensive coaching because 3 defenders requires a stopper in front of them, so everything naturally looks more solid, and allows him to focus more on the attacking side. If he goes back to a back four, then he'll have to figure out a better way of coaching the defensive side, while also integrating all the units properly, without disturbing the balance of work in attack.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2015, 03:05:42 pm »
I'd say it's more that Rodgers just isn't a particularly good judge of defenders and defence in general. Combine that with how much open space we previously left, especially on transition to defence, and our not particularly impressive defensive structure, we were always going to have problems. Now we have the numbers to control that space better than before.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2015, 03:20:34 pm »
I'm not one for saying that a manager cannot coach defence.  I think that is simplistic.  I'd say managers have strengths and during the course of the season (subsequently their careers) they have a finite amount of time to implement their ideas.  So they have to focus.  They'll focus on their strength and cover their weaknesses.  Defence is a weakness.  It's a learning curve and let's hope Rodgers is able to gain enough experience for that weakness not to be exposed weekly and is only something we see 3 or 4 times a season.

The signs are good over the last few weeks.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: January 27, 2015, 03:34:58 pm »
I'm not one for saying that a manager cannot coach defence.  I think that is simplistic.  I'd say managers have strengths and during the course of the season (subsequently their careers) they have a finite amount of time to implement their ideas.  So they have to focus.  They'll focus on their strength and cover their weaknesses.  Defence is a weakness.  It's a learning curve and let's hope Rodgers is able to gain enough experience for that weakness not to be exposed weekly and is only something we see 3 or 4 times a season.

The signs are good over the last few weeks.
I'm not entirely sure why Rodgers 'struggles' with defence. I have defended him on here a couple of times against the accusation that he doesn't know how a defence should be coached - I think with twenty years experience of coaching, building his way up through the ranks and his tactical knowledge, he probably knows the ways a defence should be coached. It's just for some reason he doesn't put that much focus on it. Maybe he just doesn't really have the feel for it - for example, he's not very shutting a game off defensively, even if he tries to. For what reason that is, I'm not quite sure. Mourinho can do that, he can't. So even when he switched to try and make us more defensively minded earlier in the season, we were still pretty much as easy to play through.

What I do know is that in the two and a half years since he came in, this is the first time we've really had a decent enough defensive structure and that's largely down to the shape rather than coaching precise positioning, coordination etc. Maybe it's better he stays that way
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #139 on: January 27, 2015, 03:57:42 pm »
I'm not entirely sure why Rodgers 'struggles' with defence. I have defended him on here a couple of times against the accusation that he doesn't know how a defence should be coached - I think with twenty years experience of coaching, building his way up through the ranks and his tactical knowledge, he probably knows the ways a defence should be coached. It's just for some reason he doesn't put that much focus on it. Maybe he just doesn't really have the feel for it - for example, he's not very shutting a game off defensively, even if he tries to. For what reason that is, I'm not quite sure. Mourinho can do that, he can't. So even when he switched to try and make us more defensively minded earlier in the season, we were still pretty much as easy to play through.

What I do know is that in the two and a half years since he came in, this is the first time we've really had a decent enough defensive structure and that's largely down to the shape rather than coaching precise positioning, coordination etc. Maybe it's better he stays that way
I think he may be in the mind-set of if we are paying Ł17m & Ł20m for centre backs we should be getting top of the bracket players that will compensate for the extra space.  Perhaps he has underestimated just how much work is required.  But he seems to be improving.  And so are the players.  Sakho seems to be getting better game by game.  Experience is key here.  I'm looking forward to seeing a Sakho with 50+ PL games under his belt.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #140 on: January 27, 2015, 03:58:23 pm »
Since last season, Brendan has developed formations based on the players available, hence the diamond formation last season. This time, many of those have not worked (since we were missing key players) and it looks like he has come up with 3-4-3 that fits the current players. I'm not sure whether he is able to come up with a formula that improves us defensively (Lucas takes some credit for our improvement) but it has helped us in attack.

The question is how we will play when Sturridge comes back. Will we look to change again, or simply move Sterling back to the wing like the Sunderland game.

I'm not sure whether the number of defenders comes into his thinking (though it should), I guess that as long as the attack is set up correctly, the rest will follow. It will need to be resolved long term however as we have too many defenders on our books (with little return).
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2015, 04:09:13 pm »
Since last season, Brendan has developed formations based on the players available, hence the diamond formation last season. This time, many of those have not worked (since we were missing key players) and it looks like he has come up with 3-4-3 that fits the current players. I'm not sure whether he is able to come up with a formula that improves us defensively (Lucas takes some credit for our improvement) but it has helped us in attack.

The question is how we will play when Sturridge comes back. Will we look to change again, or simply move Sterling back to the wing like the Sunderland game.

I'm not sure whether the number of defenders comes into his thinking (though it should), I guess that as long as the attack is set up correctly, the rest will follow. It will need to be resolved long term however as we have too many defenders on our books (with little return).

I think 3-4-3 has helped us massively in terms of our defense. The back 3 seem to understand their roles a lot more and we're able to rotate to 4 or 5 at the back too.

This is our most balanced setup we've had under Rodgers, we defend well, our attacking play is brilliant and all we're really missing is a killer finish.

You take Gerrard/Lallana out for Sturridge and the system doesn't change.
:D

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2015, 04:09:29 pm »
I think he may be in the mind-set of if we are paying Ł17m & Ł20m for centre backs we should be getting top of the bracket players that will compensate for the extra space.  Perhaps he has underestimated just how much work is required.  But he seems to be improving.  And so are the players.  Sakho seems to be getting better game by game.  Experience is key here.  I'm looking forward to seeing a Sakho with 50+ PL games under his belt.
I think that was probably his idea (and I think PoP mentioned this last season) - instead of improving the defensive structure, just buy some better defenders. Unfortunately he bought a completely error prone one in Lovren, which was never going to help things, and froze Sakho out because he wanted Lovren at LCB.

The thing is we now finally have the right personnel at the back. Whether that was originally due to injuries to Rodgers' first choices, is possible (true, in my opinion) but the important thing is that he's continued with them, even though the others are coming back. That and the change in shape helps us defend better.

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2015, 04:12:10 pm »
When I wrote the initial article, at the time the stats and my eyes were telling me that it was causing us more problems defensively.

However since then the team has defended much better and the players look much more comfortable in the system.  There have been a few issues, but generally the side is looking better in this formation and I am happy to admit my initial concerns were wrong.

I don't think we should play this formation every game, as I like it how we are able to switch formation under Rodgers.  But I do think it can work now.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2015, 04:28:24 pm »

I don't think we should play this formation every game
, as I like it how we are able to switch formation under Rodgers.  But I do think it can work now.

Why not? I mean we're defensively solid, able to keep possession and having a billion shots. Why would you change system for any game? What more do you want to see? I know we're not scoring many so drawing too much at home but that's down to personnel not the system. The system is allowing the players to get in position to shoot MANY times. We're just shite at it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:29:58 pm by peachybum »

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2015, 04:30:47 pm »
When I wrote the initial article, at the time the stats and my eyes were telling me that it was causing us more problems defensively.

However since then the team has defended much better and the players look much more comfortable in the system.  There have been a few issues, but generally the side is looking better in this formation and I am happy to admit my initial concerns were wrong.

I don't think we should play this formation every game, as I like it how we are able to switch formation under Rodgers.  But I do think it can work now.

How much of that defensive stability is down to Lucas returning though?

From an attacking point of view it is a very effective way of getting Coutinho and Lallana/Gerrard into the game, they can find that space between the lines. The problem we do have apart from our lack of a striker is the role of the wide men in the system, they have to get forward and offer themselves in the final third, Markovic is great at this but with defensive minded players we struggle.

Sterling one side and Markovic the other could be very effective when we get Sturridge back.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2015, 04:32:52 pm »

From an attacking point of view it is a very effective way of getting Coutinho and Lallana/Gerrard into the game, they can find that space between the lines. The problem we do have apart from our lack of a striker is the role of the wide men in the system, they have to get forward and offer themselves in the final third, Markovic is great at this but with defensive minded players we struggle.

Sterling one side and Markovic the other could be very effective when we get Sturridge back.

We could play horses for courses, though, with a slight tweak. If we play with two defensive fullbacks, then we tweak it to 3-4-1-2 and attack through the middle, much like last season. If we want to dominate the game, then we play attacking wingbacks and play the 3-4-2-1. One slight tweak could make us a proper "Home/Away" team

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2015, 04:38:01 pm »

Personally, I think a lot. He provides our defence with a lot of protection, be it breaking up play, or even just temporarily halting it. Whilst stats should always be taken liberally, there's no denying that if you have a look, Liverpool with Lucas are a lot more solid.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2015, 04:39:57 pm »
Personally, I think a lot. He provides our defence with a lot of protection, be it breaking up play, or even just temporarily halting it. Whilst stats should always be taken liberally, there's no denying that if you have a look, Liverpool with Lucas are a lot more solid.

Liverpool with Lucas is definitely more solid. But Lucas with Skrtel sweeping behind is the soliderest.

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2015, 04:42:29 pm »
Why not? I mean we're defensively solid, able to keep possession and having a billion shots. Why would you change system for any game? What more do you want to see? I know we're not scoring many so drawing too much at home but that's down to personnel not the system. The system is allowing the players to get in position to shoot MANY times. We're just shite at it.

Some games are different.  Last season Rodgers was really good at changing the formation for different games - such as between a diamond to a 4-3-3.

This formation is working at the moment.  But in the future if we played against the top teams in Europe, so as Real or Bayern then it is good to have a few different system to change to.  I don't think for example we should buy in the summer players to only fit this formation.  We have lots of players who have done well in many formations - Henderson, Sturridge, Coutinho, Sterling to name a few. 

I just think having different formations can be useful, as they all have weaknesses and some might suit playing certain teams to others.
@LFC4LIFENET

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2015, 04:44:57 pm »

It is partly down to him, as he is playing well.  But I think other players have also looked better the more time they have played the system - such as Sakho, Skrtel and Can.  Skrtel was making errors when we first played the system, now he isn't.  Sakho is looking more comfortable in his role, although he was looking pretty good before hand.  Can I think has been more hit and miss, making some errors.  But Markovic has been getting better as well.  No surprise the more we play it and Rodgers works with the players, the better we are becoming.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2015, 04:45:12 pm »
We could play horses for courses, though, with a slight tweak. If we play with two defensive fullbacks, then we tweak it to 3-4-1-2 and attack through the middle, much like last season. If we want to dominate the game, then we play attacking wingbacks and play the 3-4-2-1. One slight tweak could make us a proper "Home/Away" team
Definitely , once we have the personnel we can tweak it, at the moment we lack the players to go through the middle IMO  but we should address that. I'm not knocking Markovic in any way though, his defensive capabilities have been outstanding in that role.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2015, 04:58:40 pm »
Maybe play 3-4-1-2?  Sterling/Coutinho as the #10?

Generally I agree with you.  Formation will depend on players available.

You've also got to hope that eventually the centre halves become comfortable with playing in a back 4 so we have that flexibility.  Right now the 3 at the back suits them.
What about Lallana? He'd hardly play in that set up.

Four at the back requires a new goalkeeper. Right now Mignolet hardly ever take part in our build up, he is almost only there to clear the ball since we switched formation. It works because Can and Sakho are so good on the ball and Skrtel is given time and space, and can stay central all the time, but our keeper should really take an active part as well. I'm not sure Can can play CB in a back four from a defensive point of view, but imagine him with Sakho and a keeper like Reina (at his best) behind them. That would be as good as now in terms of how we start attacks and take the sting out of the opponents pressure while at the same time give us more attacking strenght. We'd more or less replace Skrtel with a midfielder or forward, depending on formation (diamond or 4-3-3).

We'd probably be a bit more open at the back again, and perhaps have slightly less width as the fullbacks are in general a bit deeper. To be as good with a back four we need three new players of top quality (goalkeeper, probably a new CB alongside Sakho, and a forward) and if we have that, I wouldn't mind giving up a bit of security for more attacking strenght. But we don't, so for now I think the 3-4-3 is our best option, by far.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2015, 05:06:31 pm »
What about Lallana? He'd hardly play in that set up.

Four at the back requires a new goalkeeper. Right now Mignolet hardly ever take part in our build up, he is almost only there to clear the ball since we switched formation. It works because Can and Sakho are so good on the ball and Skrtel is given time and space, and can stay central all the time, but our keeper should really take an active part as well. I'm not sure Can can play CB in a back four from a defensive point of view, but imagine him with Sakho and a keeper like Reina (at his best) behind them. That would be as good as now in terms of how we start attacks and take the sting out of the opponents pressure while at the same time give us more attacking strenght. We'd more or less replace Skrtel with a midfielder or forward, depending on formation (diamond or 4-3-3).

We'd probably be a bit more open at the back again, and perhaps have slightly less width as the fullbacks are in general a bit deeper. To be as good with a back four we need three new players of top quality (goalkeeper, probably a new CB alongside Sakho, and a forward) and if we have that, I wouldn't mind giving up a bit of security for more attacking strenght. But we don't, so for now I think the 3-4-3 is our best option, by far.

Lallana could probably play as a forward in that 3-4-1-2, and would probably do a good job too, especially if the other forward makes runs off of him. Given a free role up front, Lallana could probably do a decent job (as a back up forward, not as a regular starting one, I hasten to add!)

Having said that, every manager has to balance the needs of the team, the tactical situation of the game, and the needs of the players, so sometimes players will have to sit out for longer periods than they'd like to, if the formation doesn't need their particular skills.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2015, 05:07:04 pm »
I'm not knocking Markovic in any way though, his defensive capabilities have been outstanding in that role.
Tonight will be the biggest test of his defensive capabilities so far in the red shirt. It doesn`t get bigger than going directly against Hazard. if he passes that test he`ll pass any other. Both him and Can.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2015, 05:22:16 pm »
Lallana could probably play as a forward in that 3-4-1-2, and would probably do a good job too, especially if the other forward makes runs off of him. Given a free role up front, Lallana could probably do a decent job (as a back up forward, not as a regular starting one, I hasten to add!)

Having said that, every manager has to balance the needs of the team, the tactical situation of the game, and the needs of the players, so sometimes players will have to sit out for longer periods than they'd like to, if the formation doesn't need their particular skills.

He would have to learn to play with his back to goal better and quickly if he was an option up top, he isn't anywhere near strong enough at times either.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2015, 05:27:39 pm »
He would have to learn to play with his back to goal better and quickly if he was an option up top, he isn't anywhere near strong enough at times either.

He wouldn't, though. He could play a little bit off the main striker (Sterling/Sturridge) the way Beardsley did. He wouldn't be a true centre forward, but he wouldn't be part of the midfield, so he wouldn't have to drop off and defend after the first line of pressure. He would be more than able to operate as a shadow striker in a partnership

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2015, 05:30:46 pm »
Yes we should persist with the formation.

Hopefully though we don't discard the 4-1-2-1-2 formation.

I am not sure quite how a diamond shaped midfield would work in a 3-4-3 though.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: January 27, 2015, 05:38:43 pm »
He wouldn't, though. He could play a little bit off the main striker (Sterling/Sturridge) the way Beardsley did. He wouldn't be a true centre forward, but he wouldn't be part of the midfield, so he wouldn't have to drop off and defend after the first line of pressure. He would be more than able to operate as a shadow striker in a partnership

I know what your getting at but he will get more attention from CB's who don't leave many prisoners in this league, he just isn't strong enough at the moment to shake off that first challenge then pick that pass, but it would be interesting to see.

Offline Noclio

• Main Stander
  • It's a matter of opinion.
« Reply #159 on: January 27, 2015, 05:40:25 pm »
Yes we should persist with the formation.

Hopefully though we don't discard the 4-1-2-1-2 formation.

I am not sure quite how a diamond shaped midfield would work in a 3-4-3 though.

Bielsa's 3-3-1-3 system would be it. It would actually be a good way to incorporate Sturridge while keeping three at the back. The fundamentals of the formation are quite different to the current system though.