Author Topic: So, you're a Red, but why?  (Read 88815 times)

Offline Curva Nord '77

• Legacy Fan
Re: So, you're a Red, but why?
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2006, 07:13:55 pm »
Dad a RED. Brought up in the SHANKLY era. I am RED at a genetic level.   :wave

Offline 1it 5 times

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2006, 07:16:17 pm »
Many posts say born a Red think this was the case for me also. didn't realise it til I was sitting in ladbrokes Brighton watching the FA Cup final at 7 years  old (1974) then new it, still an O-O-T but don't miss many games home & away
srt

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Once a knob always a knob
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2006, 07:19:53 pm »
Was since I was about 6...my grandad was a blue, my mum was a fairly detatched red, but she bought me a shirt for my birthday and we saw a LFC away match in London a bit later on that year. Younger brothers followed my example so there was no argument on that at least :)

Offline Kyle Soprano

• Doing his BTEC Sports Science but still knows fuck all
  • Legacy Fan
  • You & I Are Gonna Live Forever
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2006, 07:22:50 pm »
i live and always have lived 2 minutes away from woodison but all my family support the reds apart from me cousin who supports the bitters
I only drink on special occasions. Like Fridays and Saturdays. The occasional Sunday. Sometimes even Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Never Thursday. Well, every so often maybe a Thursday.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2006, 07:26:03 pm »
When I was a sperm in heaven God pulled me out of the crowd, and had a little word with me;

'You are one of the chosen ones, you get to support Liverpool Football Club little one.'

With that, he made the sign of the cross, kissed my little silvery head and blew me in to my mum's womb.

When I came kicking in to this world the doctors and nurses at Mill Road swore I singing, not screaming, and one nurse, to this day, is adamant  i was singing a song about a poor scouser and lots of flies.

From that day forward I knew three things, I am a boy, I support Liverpool Football Club and I like boobies.

I say my prayers every night to give thanks.

THANKS GOD!!!
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline RedVash

• Legacy Fan
  • ...through the storm...
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2006, 07:30:50 pm »
I was almost sure that there was already a thread about this argument, but I'm happy to answer you.

I will try to be concise.

there are 3 questions that people use to ask me:

1 how tall are you?
2 why don't you play basketball?
3 why do you support liverpool?

well...you have to know that almost 9 years ago (I was 13 years old)  I was a Juventus fan :-[. that season Juventus won the title against Milan Inter but in strange way  ???cause refree helped too much the Bianconeri...so I decided that I wouldn't support Juve anymore. for almost six year I hadn't a team to support :'(...
during the summer of 2003  I was playing with FIFA (2003) videogame and I wanted to find an English club to play a premier league season. I remembered that Liverpool had a very strong striker (Owen) so I choose the reds ignoring completly their history. after few match I noticed what is wright on the crest "YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE", that I always considered the best promise a supporter could ever do to his club...then I recognized the song during the matches and I feel in love with LFC.
2 years later I went to Delle Alpi stadium for the first time but as Liverpool supporter even if incognito.
and last season I went to 3 matches at Anfield  ;D.
Now I'm crazy foul for LFC and I'll come back for the West Ham match see you there  :wave
RED is not a colour.
RED is a way of life.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2006, 07:36:34 pm »
same as everyone in liverpool, I support them because they were the geographically closest succesful team around when I was a kid.

Fuckin genius  ;D

Offline Piledriver

• Anny Roader
  • There will be six minutes extra time..........
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2006, 07:41:36 pm »
Well i was brought to see my first reds game way back in 1971,my uncle brought me to see his favourite team Man Utd,with the hope that i would follow but alas it was the Reds that won my heart and while in the seventies it was not the price of the match that was prohibitive it was the price of travel(iam from Belfast)now its the complete oposite.
     Iwas five years old when i first went,last season i brought my daughter to her first match(she is now 6) at Anfield she seen Crouch score his first goal and she wants to go again so bring them up right and they will always be Red

Offline Buster111

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2006, 07:43:17 pm »
Born a red... :)

There could never have been a choice in our house. Dad started taking me to games when I was 6 (82-83 season). Never looked back.

My kids are red too... ;D
When Gudjohnsen had that chance at the end I was s***ing myself. If he had scored I would have started crying. I would have retired on the spot or maybe even shot myself,"  - John Arne Riise

Offline Des Lynam

• Left at half-time
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hi, Des here.
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2006, 08:05:46 pm »
This thread is actually quite depressing....
I should have been at work. Make of that what you will.

Offline irishkopite77

• Kopite
  • Stradbally, Laois, "The Little Town"
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2006, 08:06:11 pm »
i remember watcing tv at home with snr. I was 7 or 8 at the time, 1985 euro cup final was on, the riots were out of control..at the time i didnt support any team. My da (snr) doesn't really support anyone but he was watching because of the irish players involved with liverpool at that time..As any young lad would be, i was glued to the riots on the terraces.. Looking back now on that tragic night and thinking how easily it could have been prevented makes it me angry.. Hindsight ia a wonderful thing.. I proceeded to watch the game and i started cheering for liverpool and when they lost to the most blatant dive and crazy ref decision ever i  felt really sad and i actually felt sorry for the players because they were totally screwed that night.. Anyway thats when and why im a supporter of the greatest team in europe possibly the world, not to forget the truly magnificent fans that follow this great club... YNWA.. :scarf
Oh Sami Sami, Sami Sami Sami Sami Hyypia!!

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2006, 08:13:31 pm »
I was born in Fazakerly, lived all my life in Liverpool, firstly in West Derby, a 15 minute walk from Melwood. My dad was a massive Liverpool fan and watched them home and away in the 60's 70's and early 80's. (Stopped going reguarly after i was born, after he had been to Castle Greyskull with his mates. His mate got badly cut up by razor blades that were thrown at him by mancs. Dad thought it best to lie low for a bit. Heysel also affected him.) Started going the match again with me - Dad took me to my first ever game. Before him my Grandad was a massive red and at one stage dad and Grandad and my uncle went to matches together.
Grandad started going to football when he was very young. His father wasn't too into football himself so Grandad used to go on his own/ with his mates. He chose LFC cos the view from the boys pen was better. He started going reguarly to matches between the wars. After the second world war he obviously went back and continued to watch the reds.

That along with the fact that my mums family were Liverpool fans too, meant that really there was only one team for me!!! :D
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2006, 08:17:29 pm »
Me Ma is a scouser and when she was 10 my Grandad and her Uncle Jimmy (bitters) decided that they'd take her to Woodison to try and convert her. The thing is when she went she was so appauled by the language of the fan's it put her off becoming a blue. She has been a Red ever since and that is why i'm a Red(Thank God). So i'd like to say a big thankyou to my dearly departed Grandad and great uncle Jimmy for taking her to Woodison that day.

The thing is shes never been to Anfield and has pestered me to take her to a game for years but i'm scared that if she goes she may change her mind again.

The first game I went to was Boxing day 1984, I was 8 years old and we played Leceister City. We got beat 2-1 with two goals for Gary lineker and a goal from Phil Neal. I didn't care though and i've been hooked ever since.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 08:21:23 pm by Jester »

Offline IloveGuinness17

• Knows fuck all about waves...
  • Legacy Fan
  • M.I.A.
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2006, 08:23:32 pm »
I like to Glory Hunt  ;D
JFT 96-Solidarity

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2006, 08:27:32 pm »

The first game I went to was Boxing day 1984, I was 8 years old and we played Leceister City. We got beat 2-1 with two goals for Gary lineker and a goal from Phil Neal. I didn't care though and i've been hooked ever since.

I too, suffered defeat on my Liverpool debut. And my away debut. And we only managed a 1-1 draw on my European cup debut! Other than that, my record is pretty good!
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2006, 08:42:03 pm »

'You are one of the chosen ones, you get to support Liverpool Football Club little one.'

With that, he made the sign of the cross, kissed my little silvery head and blew me

THANKS GOD!!!

Blasphemer !!!!!!!!!!

:o
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline Armless Joe Gambino

• Will stone fred at the drop of a hat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2006, 08:42:17 pm »
I like to Glory Hunt  ;D

Used to drink Beamish then?  ;)
In my day everbody drank and smoked and nobody took drugs. . . . . .

Offline jaymac2000uk

• Main Stander
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2006, 08:43:55 pm »
First ever game I ever watched was FA Cup Final 1986, got me hooked on football and liverpool, dad and bro both spurs fans, rest chelsea so you can imagine the fun i had in both semi finals and the shit I got for the league games. 

Offline Armless Joe Gambino

• Will stone fred at the drop of a hat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2006, 08:44:30 pm »
In my day everbody drank and smoked and nobody took drugs. . . . . .

Offline Curva Nord '77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2006, 08:45:11 pm »
When I was a sperm in heaven God pulled me out of the crowd, and had a little word with me;

With that, he made the sign of the cross, kissed my little silvery head and blew me in to my mum's womb.

When I came kicking in to this world the doctors and nurses at Mill Road swore I singing, not screaming, and one nurse, to this day, is adamant  i was singing a song about a poor scouser and lots of flies.

From that day forward I knew three things, I am a boy, I support Liverpool Football Club and I like boobies.

THANKS GOD!!!

:lmao :wellin :thumbup

In my case, I am a man,  I support Liverpool Football Club, I like boobies and I also like lager. ( The consumption of which, coincidentally, has now given ME boobies ).  :butt  :-[

So God does have his little jokes......

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2006, 09:22:32 pm »
Done before, but don't mind displaying me CV.

Born in Royal Liverpool, raised in the shadow of the Cathedral worshipping the Reds like everyone else. 

Loads of rels with STs, but never got a chance to go the match before we moved to NYC as a teenager where footy was an un-American activity and I was lucky if the NY Times listed results and a table (if it was a slow sports day) on a Tuesday.

The web re-opened the door and Alex Brown and his Mighty Reds page found yet another expat.  Soon discovered the joys of Euro aways and do 2 or 3 trips a year to support the most joyous thing in my life next to my family.

Kill the humourless

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2006, 09:38:13 pm »
I was born that way

Offline LpoolHope5*

• Kopite
  • been to all five big cup homecoming parades
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2006, 09:40:36 pm »
 I stood on the kop were my dad he stood with his dad... and now i try and sit with the block 202s
Nicky Campbell: "How do you feel about all of the criticisms that are levelled at the city and at scousers?"

Phil Redmond: "You have to expect that sort of thing when you live at the centre of the universe"

Offline PLY

• Main Stander
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2006, 09:41:06 pm »
I was born in Liverpool and was never dropped on my head as a baby
Ayer , Hoy , Manana Y Siempre - L.F.C.

Offline Cally the scally

• Boys Pen
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2006, 09:43:51 pm »
Born in Wavertree in 1957. Family all reds - and probably theirs before them.

As a nipper I met Mr Shankly after a game once.

Me: "I want to play for Liverpool."
Shanks: " 'Course ye do, son. Course ye do. We need your sort."

Then he shook my hand and gave me an LFC badge from his lapel. Still got it. Very few are legends in my eyes - but I met the biggest.

Lived in Mancland for a while - difficult for a youngster - but eased slightly by their relegation to Div 2. Marvellous!

So I've been around to see all 18, and 5, and the (many) others.

Now I live dahn sarf. I get to games when I can. Not often enough. M'boy was born in Chelsea (that hurts…). But his mind is right - I'm nagged every day to get him our new kit. He'll get it as soon as I can. He's worth it.

I can't really understand anyone who doesn't support LFC, but I admire their dedication to lost causes.

So there…..

Offline zod

• Main Stander
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2006, 10:02:37 pm »
me mum bought me a liverpool shirt when i was very young, because she fancied Kenny Dalglish

that's pretty sad I know

Offline dannydeej

• Boys Pen
  • Glory round the fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2006, 10:02:40 pm »
lived in australia as a kid didnt even know about english football.
have cousins in ireland. my one cousin had a load of liverpool jerseys.. i thought they were sweet. he told me about liverpool. i went and bought a lfc magazine... started watching.....
have been a red ever since. moved to many different countries and have made reds out of all my mates....

Offline Floundy

• Anny Roader
  • BollockyBoo
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2006, 10:05:04 pm »
all 18?  Wasn't number 1 of 18 in the 1900 - 01 season?!
I am JD, and that's the end of that chapter...........

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2006, 10:10:39 pm »
I was born in Liverpool and was never dropped on my head as a baby
:lmao

Offline Sweet Silver Song

• Rotation, rotation, rotation....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Proud not to be a hypocrite...
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2006, 10:11:38 pm »
A bit of a glory hunter in the 70's me. But even then, it was as if me and Liverpool were meant for each other. Now it takes up most of my life other than my own family. 
*With such simplicity the European cup is won.
**Sour-ness, will he get a shot? Now Dalglish...across the face of the goaaaalllll!
***Alan Kennedy!...He goes on...he scores!
****Liverpool need a Grobbelaar save...or a Conti miss. They've got a Conti miss!
*****And Liverpool have won it! They're back...outsiders all the way...

Offline cowlos

• Anny Roader
  • Justice is Here
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2006, 10:28:44 pm »
Born Red.  Spent every week counting down the time until I could next jump on the bus to the ground. First game 1982. Villa. First away, West Brom.  Kop season ticket between 85 and 90. Left Liverpool  and the match behind in 1990. Couldn't go anymore after being at Hillsborough. Moved to London and then started going the odd game around 1997.
Now I'm worse than ever. As well as all homes, I try and get to as many aways and Europe as is possible.  Istanbul with my mate who I was at Hillsborough with was the best three days of my life. Spend the rest of my time indoctrinating my two lads,  getting them to say bath instead of barf. Not easy when you live in Surrey.

Offline The Red artist.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • With hope in your heart.
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2006, 10:44:33 pm »
Me arl fella started takin me to see the reseves, was 8 yrs old. Absolutely hooked from the start. Without doubt the best thing he ever did for me. And that was 40 years ago, and when i think of what i've seen in those 40 yrs, how privelaged i am to be a Liverpudlian. :)

Y.N.W.A...........J.F.T.96.
Y.N.W.A....J.F.T.96.

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2006, 11:05:14 pm »
I'ts thanks to my Dad's dad. He started going to games before the first world war. He lived in Faraday St, just a short walk from the ground. My Dad was born there, and went to his first game, on the Kop, aged 7, in 1935.

I was born, and grew up, in Wavertree. When I was old enough to know about the club, my Dad and Grandad has season tickets in the Main Stand - in line with the edge of the penalty area, 13 rows from the front. They were surrounded by a nice bunch who always welcomed me if my Pop was unwell and I got to go to the game.

About age 13, I could go on the Kop. I'd be outside the gate at Flagpole corner around noon. I had usually read the programme cover to cover a few times before the Kop filled and the game was on.

Two things live we me now that I attribute to those days: lower back pain, that I first experienced having stood on the Kop for 5 hours every other week; and I get hoarse very easily. Seriously, a few loud chants and I'm a gonner! Some 12th man I'd be now?

I saw some great football: the last embers of St John, Hunt, Callaghan. Then Keegan & Tosh, Carrot, Souness, Barnes & Lyndsey, and of course, Mr Kenneth Dalglish. It was an orgy of success, frankly. I hadn't know us not be the best team on the planet until the early 1990s, when I was thirty-something, we reigned that long.

The lean years have, frankly, made me enjoy our recent successes all the more. Though I crave the big one, like you wouldn't believe.

Thank God for the Internet and satellite TV. I only get back for a couple of games a season now, as I live in Philadelphia. I pay silly prices to get home game tickets, because my trips home are usually work-paid trips, I can't plan ahead. I love it though, I take my Dad to the game, sit next to him, and watch the years roll off him. My oh my, he's seen some games in that stadium. He's 78 now, so has over 70 years of following this team. He's as passionate now as I can ever remember, and he is absolutely delighted with Mr Benitez.

"We needed Rafa 15 years ago," he says. I think he's right. "It's the second coming of Shanks."

The most important thing I am grateful to my Grandad for, apart from the wonderful saga it has been following this club, is that it's enabled me to keep in close touch with my Dad. The weekly phonecalls just before a game, the swapping of team news, have all helped us both keep this father and son relationship alive, even though I'm thousands of miles away, and can't "pop in" to catch up with him and my Mum.

Being a Red, among a family of Reds, has been a constant through all these years. I'm proud to say that my son is a fan of the club, a fourth generation supporter. He'll join me and my Dad at his first home game this year. It'll be the three of us, sat together. I hope my son will see some of the years roll off me too.

Come On You Mighty Reds

Offline Brightonscouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Go on, you know you wanna
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2006, 11:05:34 pm »
Me auld fella was a Blue but me Nan was a Red so I sided with me Nan.
Most of the lads where i grew up were reds too.
Went to my first match(es) with a mate of me dads who was a Kop ST holder until I was old enough to go on my own.
Memories of waiting in the queue from 1215 at the kids entrance on the KOP in the early eighties.
Have indoctrinated my 8yr old lad into the ways of the Reds
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 11:07:05 pm by Brightonscouse »
"Mind, I've been here during the bad times. One year we came second"... Bob Paisley

Offline jackellis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2006, 11:22:12 pm »
lots of liverpool connections in my family. plus my dad (born in liverpool moved to stockport) would always watch stockport county on the friday night and liverpool on the saturday when he was a lad. i've always been a red but had a soft spot for county, but gradually i've just drifted away from them after i stopped going to the games with my dad cos of his work.
Just think- next time I shoot someone, I could be arrested.

Offline Rafas_Barmy_Army

• Legacy Fan
  • Its rainin sideways.
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2006, 11:52:45 pm »
born into  a mainly red family and named after Craig Johnston :)
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2006, 11:55:28 pm »
been a reds supporter for as long as i can remember, my dad took me to my first game against Arsenal at Anfield 1951, first time i saw Billy Liddell my hero, great days...remember crying when we got relegated 1954, what made it worse was the blue shite got promoted from division 2. All those years of almost making it back then along came Shanks and here we are today....the best club in the world
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2006, 12:01:07 am »
I never chose- it was chosen for me
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Clappo27

• Kemlynite
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2006, 12:11:27 am »
Moved from south east Kent to Cardiff to go to uni in 2002, I didnt really pay attention to football, my grandad was a Man U fan (tho ironically YNWA was his favorite song ever!). I ended up living in a student house with a Red and watched the FA + UEFA cup ties on tv with him, over time i watched more games + began to care about the results.

Eventually my m8 had a spare ticket for the merseyside derby at anfield, we sat on Anfield Rd, lower tier just behind the goal. The atmosphere was incredible, I sang so loud + hard my throat was almost bleeding by the end, and when Stevie scored the opening goal was the first time I'd been hugged by another bloke who wasnt on drugs (at least I dont think he was) before he fell ass first into the next row, then got up + kept on cheering. I was hooked!

Since then I been to another 10 games + I was in the city arms for FA cup final and League cup last season, I love the team, I love the fans, I love the massive overpriced hotdogs at anfield.

I wasnt born a red, but I was turned into one, + I will be till I die!

Offline casey

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
    • HOME OF THE EXILED-SCOUSER
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2006, 12:12:50 am »
Born and bred scouser, I was 8 before I rumbled that Everton were in the same city cos me dad didn't take me to away games.  Grandad and greatgrandad were reds too. Whole family are.  Me aunty Bet still goes to the games (has a ST, main stands near the Anfield Road end)  and she is nearly 71 years young.

Its in the genes is all I can say on the matter.
You won't get me flicking on a (football) phone in.  I'd rather listen to a game of chess on the radio.  Phone ins are a platform for idiots.