Author Topic: So, you're a Red, but why?  (Read 88813 times)

Offline Sub

• Has a duck like a chicken
  • Legacy Fan
  • For sure.
Re: So, you're a Red, but why?
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2006, 12:49:57 am »
Nothing to do with my family at all, they don't even like football that much, whereas i did. Liverpool were sort of local, and i liked the red of the kits when i was young, and i liked jamie redknapp and robbie fowler, so bought the kit, watched some games and started supporting.  Then i realised my hatred for Man Utd, then i realised everton were from liverpool aswell, but they were shite  ;D and i had been supporting liverpool and wasn't going to be a traitor, or a gloryhunter so stuck with it. And i'm fucking glad that i did  :-*
'Football is a lie' - Rafael Benitez.

Offline LucyjaneLFC

• Kemlynite
  • I'm not a stalker... honest
« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2006, 01:04:05 am »
Only one answer I can give.....

BORN
AND
BRED
A
RED
:D

Offline bert20

• Main Stander
« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2006, 01:24:29 am »
Well, I saw the great comeback against Manchester Milan in the Istanbul Arena and I decided that nothing could be more fun than driving life long reds from their seats by bringing my entire family up from London every game. Not that we'd do any of that thuggish singing of course.

Offline OF

• Main Stander
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2006, 01:45:21 am »
One of those glory hunting bandwagen jumpers  ;D
Seriously, being from Nottingham it was either Div 4 County or Cloughies Forest.
Neither could compete with Liverpool 30 plus years ago.

Remember your history:
In 1977 Bob Paisley needed to replace Kevin Keegan and paid £440,000 to bring Dalglish to Liverpool, a British record at the time.
His years at Liverpool marked one of the club's most prolific periods: he won seven league titles, three European Cups and five domestic cups.

Offline ryana83

• Main Stander
    • Ryan Alexander
« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2006, 03:34:11 am »
Well, I grew up from small ages in Liverpool -- Sydney, Australia.

The only football on TV was the premier league -- so I went for the team I was from!!

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2006, 04:09:27 am »
And the then there was a page of shite!

Offline benwilling

• Boys Pen
« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2006, 04:31:44 am »
I'm from Sydney, Australia.
Craig Johnston is the reason I follow Liverpool.

Back when I was a kid FA Cup Finals were the only matches shown live on TV over here (we also got the League highlights show).

My 2 main footballing memories from my childhood were:
The 1986 FA Cup Final and Johnston scoring the 2nd goal
AND
Having that goal disallowed (when advantage was not given to us) in the 1989 Cup Final and Wimbledon going on to win and the feeling of being robbed by the referee.

Offline Xabinator

• Legacy Fan
  • We will go to Paris.....we may even go to France
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2006, 04:56:36 am »
Hey Reds,

This is my first post on this site, I've enjoyed reading everyones posts for a while now and thought 'Fuck it-I'll put my two bobs worth in'

I supported the Reds formally since 2000 when I came to Anfield to see us draw 0-0 with Rapid Bucharest in a Uefa Cup tie. No goals was disappointing but geez the crowd were amazing. It was the first of many times I've had goosebumps hearing YNWA. Could certainly teach us Aussies a thing or two about passion. (We're gettin' better though) Before that, they were one of few clubs I knew anything about, simply because League coverage in Australia was minimal, so I'd only ever really heard about Skippy and his FA Cup exploits.

Now, I'm seemingly like most of you guys. I am on this site, Koptalk, liverpoolfc.tv, soccernet, etc etc etc trying to find out when we are going to sign a fucking gun!!!

Carn the Reds  :scarf
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 05:27:39 am by Xabinator »
"Sir, I may be an idiot but there is one thing that I am not - and that, sir, is an idiot" Peter Griffin

Offline Julio

• Legacy Fan
  • Brrrrrrr
« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2006, 07:48:27 am »
watching hillsborough on the tv when i was 9
"We do not want a single foot of foreign territory; but of our territory we shall not surrender a single inch to anyone"

Offline 2dogs in LA

• Anny Roader
  • JUST A QUIET MAN SPREADING THE WORD
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2006, 08:20:44 am »
My dad is a RED. He went to every home game from when he was seven. In the Kop. Alone at first but then discovered he was packed among  friends sometimes numbering nearly one hundred thousand (according to easily believable folk-law).
He went alone as the rest of his family, older and younger brothers and sisters (six in all with mostly, apart from Brian, blue nose spouses), were blue noses. Apart from his mother who was Italian. Lucia. She "advised" he keep his eye on The Reds. "Don't go with them." she would say, "They are always moaning and bitter when they come home! The game should make you feel better! Not worse!"
I think this meant more to her back then as an immigrant family making the most of life in The Bullring than it did to me as a five year old going to a night game against Manchester City without a ticket but by my dads side. He did funny knocks on doors, strange nods, odd winks and smiling hand-shakes and we ended up in the Kop. We nearly had no choice but the City end until I was used as an undeniable reason for that being a bad idea. It was a good job in the end as five Liverpool fans were stabbed in there that night.
We ended up getting season tickets in the Kemlyn. Second row. seats 126 and 127. "Eye-level with Bob see!" We knew "Bob" when I was eight years old 'cos we would sit with him and some of the players at a car dealer's that was a friend of ours that put "The Lad's" bets on for them.
"See the game just the same as Kenny and see what you would do" my dad would say as Les behind us bit into his pie too soon and burnt himself with the fat that poured out of them if you bit before kick-off. As he did EVERY week!
Sitting there listening to what people could say to players that would bring a laugh out of one to two thousand people in the immediate vicinity. The magic performed by Greats right in-front of your eyes. The tactical maneuvers acted out and switched. The subtleties like Paul Walsh sparking Bond right out 'cos he'd spat at him.
And then...          ...THE SINGING!
We sang!!!
Songs!!!!
Full songs with verses and choruses and melodies. Melodies that I have found out only recently that are not easy to sing!! We sang so well that PINK FUCKIN" FLOYD put it on vinyl!
The Kop used to ask the stands for a song and they got one. We would even ask for a song from the away fans and usually got one.
We would sing out as one (eventually as one. The distance between one end of the ground and the other meant we had to persist for a short while with singing out of time but once it clicked... FUCK!) to the players. One by one. Singing their names surrounded by words of joy and praise.
Then we sang for the team and what it stood for. We sang what it meant to us that "The Lads" do us right. And when they did, we sang more.
When we got home, the game had made us feel better, not worse. Mostly!!!
I'm a RED for what LIVERPOOL FC stood for. It lost it for me (a bit and reluctantly) from Souness to That Mad Frenchman. Now it's back.
I hope that explains it a little 'cos I can't be arsed typing anymore. It takes me fuckin' ages!
WHEN YOU WALK THROUGH A STORM HOLD YOUR HEAD UP HIGH.

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2006, 08:49:25 am »
My first shirt i got when i was young was liverpool and me uncle took me there when i was young so thats why i support them
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline Ulster_Red

• Anny Roader
  • 6 Times
    • Irishleague Forums
« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2006, 08:54:27 am »
I'm from Northern Ireland, but i don't really know why I am a red, I just am. My earliest memory of watching Liverpool was the 1992 FA cup Semi-Final replay v Portsmouth. I vividly remeber John Barnes free kisck against the crossbar and Ronnie Whelan tapping in the re-bound in the dying minutes of extra time.
Our Lads Come From All Over The Place, They Talk Dead Funny But They Play Dead Great

Offline phoenixblood

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2006, 10:04:57 am »
i'm south african born, living in london, my old man was born in liverpool, with brothers and sisters all reds. i thank him every day for being born a red scouser....EVERY DAY!!!!!
Torres is fucking rubbish,played some decent football 2 years ago and nothing since!  If we buy him,we'll end up paying ridiculous amount of money on some overhyped shite of a player instead of focusing our attention(and money) on some truly world class strikers!!!

Offline vikkiashton

• Main Stander
« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2006, 10:12:31 am »
My boyfriends a red and I enjoyed watching there games which recently made me a red!
X x X x X

Offline diplomatique

• Anny Roader
« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2006, 10:18:09 am »
For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not, no explanation will be enough.

I can't express in words why I love this club so much, but I'll forever be thankful that I do. The closest I ever came to explaining my love of LFC was this: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=123919.msg1987854#msg1987854
Liverpool, as usual, not walking alone.~Announcer, Liverpool v. Bayer Leverusen, 9 March 2005

All I know most surely about morality and obligations, I owe to football. ~Albert Camus

On 15th April 1989, 96 Liverpool fans died watching their team - we haven't forgotten them.

Offline phoenixblood

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2006, 10:20:30 am »
For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not, no explanation will be enough.

I can't express in words why I love this club so much, but I'll forever be thankful that I do. The closest I ever came to explaining my love of LFC was this: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=123919.msg1987854#msg1987854

Really well said......
Torres is fucking rubbish,played some decent football 2 years ago and nothing since!  If we buy him,we'll end up paying ridiculous amount of money on some overhyped shite of a player instead of focusing our attention(and money) on some truly world class strikers!!!

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2006, 10:20:40 am »
This thread is actually quite depressing....
in a kind of"my god we've got a huge amount of glory hunters and that's why it's murder getting tickets for my son and nephews who are from liverpool "way.or was it another reason?
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2006, 10:22:39 am »
in a kind of"my god we've got a huge amount of glory hunters and that's why it's murder getting tickets for my son and nephews who are from liverpool "way.or was it another reason?
Don't imagine that would be the resaon for Des.

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2006, 10:30:49 am »
Played footy with Emlyn when I was a kid. We had a huge green in the middle of our estate and he used to train on it on Sundays in his black Liverpool tracksuit with a beautiful red Liver Bird on it.
Need I say more?

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2006, 10:32:52 am »
Liverpool were the first team I ever saw on TV (FA Cup final in 1974). Left such an impression on me that I followed them from that stage on (Christ! What if it had been Chelsea I'd seen first!? Or even worse - Everton!? Don't bear thinking about...) Plus the furore over Shanks leaving afterwards just captivated me and that was it from then on in!

Good to say that my eldest son has got the bug, so I'm pretty sure that I've started a legacy that will last as well!
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline Stretch Armstrong

• Had sex with a swan
  • Legacy Fan
    • My LFC Blog!
« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2006, 10:38:53 am »
I believe everything I read so when I was younger I read a quote that there was only 2 teams on Merseyside Liverpool and Liverpool Reserve - much to my dismay I have recently heard there is a team called Everton which I never realised I could support

Alas its too late for me now - I'll just have to support the Reds ;)
homepage: www.liverpoolmoods.com

Follow me on Twatter: @toggerguru

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2006, 10:39:00 am »
Same as a lot of others i suppose, ran in the family and just continued from birth :)

Offline themn

• Main Stander
« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2006, 10:41:06 am »
'77 FA Cup Final.

The Scum came out wearing hooded tops.
Liverpool in baseball jackets.

I preferred the baseball jackets.

We lost.

Didn't care.

Jimmy Case scored the best goal.

You can't help who you fall in love with !

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2006, 11:02:12 am »
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 12:30:25 am by Father Ted »

Offline zx81

• Kemlynite
  • L.F.C
« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2006, 11:02:56 am »
You should have seen the little one's eye's light up when I told him,

Son, thats A real fans seat your sat on there.

I turn to his grandad and he told me that I to brought I tear to his eye when he 1st saw me standing on a real fans seat waving my st George's flag around...

Bye, from all the oot seat stealing st George's flag waving part time fans
L.F.C

Offline shanklygateslfc

• Kopite
« Reply #145 on: July 28, 2006, 11:04:30 am »
was 7 years old, got a packet of candy cigarettes with a jan molby collectors card in the box and that was it, followed the reds ever since.  goes against the grain with the rest of my family as my dad and brother are mancs.
NO ONE PERSON IS BIGGER THAN THIS FOOTBALL CLUB!!!!!

YNWA - Justice for the 96 - R.I.P.  Never Forgotten, Forever with us.

Offline Stretch Armstrong

• Had sex with a swan
  • Legacy Fan
    • My LFC Blog!
« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2006, 11:05:10 am »
You should have seen the little one's eye's light up when I told him,

Son, thats A real fans seat your sat on there.

I turn to his grandad and he told me that I to brought I tear to his eye when he 1st saw me standing on a real fans seat waving my st George's flag around...

Bye, from all the oot seat stealing st George's flag waving part time fans

I am simply confused!
homepage: www.liverpoolmoods.com

Follow me on Twatter: @toggerguru

Offline Tuesday

• Kopite
  • Alright Aldo?
« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2006, 11:36:01 am »
All dad's side are blue.  All mum's side are red.  Whole street seemed to be red back in the eighties.  My mum got angry at my dad possibly trying to influence me to be blue and I just happened to choose the right side.
Sound as a pound!

Offline davefly76

• Boys Pen
« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2006, 12:13:45 pm »
the first game i ever watched on telly was the 86 fa cup final. knowing nothing about football (i had almost chosen the mancs and i had a pair of ipswich sweatbands!!) i just wanted liverpool to win that game. i didn't even know it was cup final.

i've been red through and through since then

:)

Online tazman74

• Main Stander
  • We won it six times whisky nose!
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2006, 12:35:08 pm »
I still remember it. Growing up in Northern Ireland in the early eighties wasn't a laugh but a bright light shone in my life the day my old man got tickets for a pre-season friendly between the local club, Glentoran, and the mighty reds. I didn't follow any club then but that changed that day.

It was 19/04/82 and I was eight years old. I was on top of my dad's shoulders in the rickety Oval stadium in east Belfast watching the Champions of Europe! For once the stadium was packed and I was watching the best players in Europe - gods in Red - Hansen ,Souness, Rush! And incredibly Glentoran held them 1-1.

It didn't matter, I was captivated by LFC. And in a country where nearly every SOB supports Man Urinals (George Best, Norman Whiteside etc. blah blah) I'm bloody proud that I got hooked that day.
My old man said be a Man U fan,
I said 'Fuck off bollocks, you're a c*nt!'

Offline Des Lynam

• Left at half-time
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hi, Des here.
« Reply #150 on: July 28, 2006, 12:38:28 pm »

Nah, nothing to do with tickets or otherwize, it's just kind of sad to read, I dunno why.
I should have been at work. Make of that what you will.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #151 on: July 28, 2006, 12:42:44 pm »
Well, I saw the great comeback against Manchester Milan in the Istanbul Arena and I decided that nothing could be more fun than driving life long reds from their seats by bringing my entire family up from London every game. Not that we'd do any of that thuggish singing of course.
:boring
In answer to the original question...My Dad is a red, used to stand on the Kop probably about the same time as M. Houllier did. I was brought up to be a Liverpool fan and I'm damn glad I was.

Offline zx81

• Kemlynite
  • L.F.C
« Reply #152 on: July 28, 2006, 12:59:37 pm »

me and my family are born and bread in notts, between us we have 4 season tickets..

Do ya like that!!!

L.F.C

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: July 28, 2006, 01:24:29 pm »
I came to England in 1979 and started school in June (after the end of the season obviously).  As the new kid in primary school the other boys wanted to know a bit about me and the playground at lunchtime was the first chance they had to do that.

One of the first questions was "Do you play footie?".  "Yes" I said even though I'd never seen the game or kicked a ball in my life.  The next question was "What team do you support?".  I er'd and uhhmm'd for a couple of seconds then they all started naming teams.  This was London so as you can expect I heard "Arsenal", "Spurs", "QPR", "Chelsea", "West Ham" as well as the likes of Man U being shouted at random.  In amongst them was of course "Liverpool".  To this day I don't know why but I said "Yeah, them!"  And this was greeted with cheers of approval.  I though "I'd better find out what Liverpool are all about".  At the time there wasn't much football on TV so it was only when I picked up a copy of Shoot (or it may have been Match - can't remember which) that I really started to get into the team.

My first live match was against West Ham at Upton Park in 88 (I think it was) and I saw a lot of away games in London during 88-91. Don't get to Anfield as much as I'd like but my love's grown stronger ever since that first live game.  I'd love to move the Liverpool at some point in the future just to be close to the team and the people.  Hopefully the missus will be up for it too even though she's already a football widow!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Marcus6

• QueenOfTheSouth7 (steals food from children)
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 ft 2, Eyes of Blue, Billy Bonds is after you...
« Reply #154 on: July 28, 2006, 01:28:28 pm »
Well, i'm not a red, but from a West Ham point of view, it's a parent thing.

All the family came from the east end, so i've got claret and blue blood.

Although i'm an honourary scouser through friends, and that the Reds aren't dodgy, diving, cheating, scumbags (cue the Arse, Yids and Chelsea), thus i like them.

:wave
From custard slices to menstrual waste in 4 posts. That's impressive, even for RAWK.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #155 on: July 28, 2006, 05:09:28 pm »

I don't think my supporting Liverpool was ever a conscious decision or that choice even came into it, it was just something that seemed to be totally natural, and like Topsy, it just grew. While there is a danger of this sounding like a "Yorkshire Man" sketch, or the ramblings of some old git, I'll try to explain.

I was born and raised the far end of Melwood Drive, where one of my early memories is from about 1959/60 when I was 4 or 5, going up Minver Road, then up the path between the old terraced houses on the bend, past the small pig farm and bingo, me and a few other lads were playing togga on the training grounds...until an old feller with a flat cap would come storming towards us when we would leg it. Sometimes though, our presence was tolerated if we would just sit in the long grass at the edge of the pitch, watching the players train, and returning the ball if it ever came our way.  From little acorns....

My late Dad, though not really fanatical about football, had been born and raised in Kemlyn Road back in the 20's-30's so I also used to visit my Nan there until she died in about 1964. On a few occasions, my Dad took me to see reserve matches there but all I recall of those matches is vague memories of cavernous corrugated iron roofs on the stands.

However, everywhere I went as a kid reinforced LFC in me, our local news agents was even run by Alan Arnell, and seemingly to me everything on the news at the time in the early 60's was all just 'Liverpool' and it was like we were at the centre of the Universe. I mean, no one ever said on the news that the Beatles came from Everton did they? Those of you who grew up in Liverpool at that time like me will probably understand what I'm saying.
(Sounds stupid, but I don't think I even knew that Everton existed on the same planet until about 1965 when I saw names like Trebilcock scrawled on other kids satchels at school. Bet they're sorry now!)

There also just seemed to be a palpable sense of great things in the offing surrounding LFC which all served to reinforce my love of the club, amply rewarded since.

I left Melwood Drive in 67 and have travelled quite a bit since then, and unfortunately have little opportunity to get to matches now, but like so many of the Scouse Diaspora, or at least half of them, LFC will always have my support. Red till I'm dead.

My teenage son, despite being born and raised here in darkest Devon, is also devout LFC. Couldn't be any other way I suppose.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: July 28, 2006, 05:25:55 pm »
Born in Walton, Dad was a Red, Mum a Red, 99 % of the family was Red (Auntie married a Bluenose), claimed as a Red before I was born..
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline lfcwembley

• Main Stander
  • Next best thing to being scouse, Im from Wembley
« Reply #157 on: July 28, 2006, 05:28:25 pm »
Born in Wembley Live in Wembley, Hardly had a choice now did I!!!

Offline Kazuya_UK

• Main Stander
  • If you are first you are first...
    • NeoGeoForLife
« Reply #158 on: July 28, 2006, 05:57:24 pm »
Big brother is a red, so he convinced me to see the light before my dad managed to turn me into a Leicester fan (my home town). Been supporting the team for over 20 years, since I was four :)

Kaz

Offline cornish exile

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2006, 08:39:43 pm »
back in 1968(i was 8) one sunday looking through the papers i decided it was
time to support a football team.closed my eyes,moved my finger down the page,stopped,opened my eyes,my finger was on liverpool. true story.so been a  red for 38 years now,saw my first game at anfield in 1971 against blackpool. 2-2 result.a birthday treat for my 11th.
because ive travelled almost all my life my visists to anfield and away games have been limited compared to some on here.i reckon ive seen us live up to 100 plus times the years,mostly at anfield between 1977 and 1980 when my dad left the airforce and we moved to st.helens(his home town)and before i went off to work in germany.
was back home for a year between 1987/88 and again was at anfield for most of that time when we played at home.
will always suppot the reds,i have the liverbird tattooed on my arm but from afar now.cant afford the cost these days.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" – -- Unknown