Author Topic: Joey Jones - 25 years on still a legend  (Read 5450 times)

Offline DaveLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Joey Jones - 25 years on still a legend
« on: January 27, 2004, 01:38:49 pm »
When I was just a nipper I was given as one of my Christmas Presents a Liverpool FC 1979 Annual. It was about half the size of a usual annual and a softback, and inside it mainly detailed our path to the European Cup and the following celebrations in 1978.

In the centre were pictures of each player in the squad with a space for the player to autograph.

I’ve always treasured this annual as I managed to get all but one of the pages autographed by some of the greats during 1979. The manager Bob Paisley, Ray Clemence, Jimmy Case, Kenny Dalglish, David Fairclough, Alan Hansen, Steve Heighway, Emlyn Hughes, David Johnson, Alan Kennedy, Ray Kennedy Terry McDermott, Phil Neal, Graeme Souness and Phil Thompson all signed my book as I met them returning from training. Even the great Joe Fagan placed his autograph in the front cover for this little snot nosed lad.

However one name that I could not get was Joey Jones. The book says of him ...

“One season in the career of Joey Jones emphasises the intensity of the battle for first team places at Anfield.

In May 1977 he danced that unforgettable jig of joy around Rome’s Olympic Stadium after helping Liverpool to that majestic triumph over Borussia Moenchengladbach, thus becoming the first Welshman to appear in a European Cup winning team.

Jones did not miss a game from the start of the 1977-78 season until damaging his hamstring in the away leg of the European Super Cup meeting with Kevin Keegan’s club SV Hamburg in November.

That blow for Jones meant the return of that outstanding professional Tommy Smith and the Welshman – apart from a run of five senior games over Christmas and New Year – battled away in the reserves in a bid to force himself back onto the first team scene at Anfield while still representing his country at international level.

But it says much for Jones’s fundamental love of the club he has followed since boyhood that when Dutch referee Charles Corver blew the final whistle at Wembley to signal Liverpool’s continued reign as European champions, the welsh full back raced onto the famous turf, his arm raised in salute to the men who had beaten Bruges.

He was demonstrating the spirit and character that moved the Kop to take Joey Jones to their hearts. He has proved he is a Liverpool fan as well as a Liverpool player.”

Anyway the annual was put away safely not to be discovered until about a year and half ago. While reading through it once again I came across the blank space under Joey’s picture and decided to do something about it. So this morning I drove to Wrexham AFC’s training ground where a still hard working Joey trains the team. I don’t know what he made of this big 6’2” bloke approaching him after training but once he saw the annual his face lit up and he was more than happy to sign it. He is an Anfield legend and a gentleman as are all Anfield legends.

My book now complete I can put it away again to be given to my son and passed on by him to his son. It is one of the most treasured possessions I have. One strange thing did happen though last night. As I went through my old scrap book, a Topps 1978 Chewing Gum football card (one of many mounted inside in perfect condition) fell out onto the floor. I picked it up and strangely enough it was Joey Jones. I gave Joey the card, more in thanks for getting my book completed than anything else, and it seemed the right thing to do in a strange way.

I hope that our current crop of players will be so gracious when they have hung up their playing boots, I hope that they will have the kind of memories to look back on as the Anfield legends of today. I also hope they will be as pleasant and as humble as the Anfield legend Joey Jones was today.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 08:15:00 pm by Rushian »
The consequences of rejecting reality are not immediate but they are inevitable

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
Re: Joey Jones - 25 years on still a legend.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 01:43:34 pm »
Good post! I live in Wrexham and watch their odd game too - he's greatly respected in North Wales too :wave
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline IrishRed

• Driven but can't drive...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 01:45:07 pm »
nice post that.

Joey Jones - Legend
LFC SHOULD NEVER PLAY ON THE 15TH APRIL, NOT THIS YEAR, NEXT YEAR OR ANY OTHER YEAR

Justice

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 01:59:14 pm »
cracking post - Joey Jones Kop legend - a 70s Jamie Carragher for me.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 02:10:19 pm »
very good way of summing Joey up Rushian.
He was a top top player and its a great read Dave
Yep.

Pheeny

Re: Joey Jones - 25 years on still a legend
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 06:36:27 pm »
Joey is was and always will be a legend!

PS he used to drink in the same pub as me in Wrexham(Fairfield Tavern)He brought some of his team mates in one night and let me and a few of my mates tag along with them on a pub crawl of Wrexham :lickin

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004, 08:02:31 pm »
Sound bloke, completely off his head.  Whenever it used to get a bit heated in the Road End he would sometimes look up and give his famous fist sign, a good scally at heart.  He loved it whenever he heard his name chanted.
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2004, 06:50:59 am »
Great read Dave................ ;) ;)

cheers

btw: i wonder how hard he could smack these new "beach balls' they use

bet it would be better than most of the "thunderbolts" we are getting used to seeing these days,considering the balls used to weigh a ton then { more like kicking a medicine ball when they where wet}
JFT 96

Offline StephenWrexhamFC

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: August 8, 2004, 03:56:47 pm »
Joey is a bona fide football legend.

I had the honour of speaking to him at last week's Fans Tournament at NEWI Wrexham.  It's good to see him fit and about.

I hope we can save the club for his sake!

Pheeny

« Reply #9 on: August 8, 2004, 11:35:14 pm »
I hope so Stephen!

Offline moptop46

• Kemlynite
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 11:16:03 pm »
Joey!!   Legend!!

Offline StephenWrexhamFC

• Kemlynite
FAO Pheeny
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 10:32:54 am »
Someone suggested the possibility of Sir Joseph of Jones going on the Liverpool KOP and trying to collect money for Wrexham's Save The Racecourse campaign :)

Do you think he would get a good response?

I bet he would raise a few quid!!

Feel very depressed at the moment about what's going on at the club but I suppose we have to take things as they come and put it all into perspective.

Offline Badge Kisser

• Main Stander
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 01:05:19 pm »
Great read Dave................ ;) ;)

btw: i wonder how hard he could smack these new "beach balls' they use

Ask Dave Hickton who played for Boro. Joey head-butted him into the back of the goal, at a very wet and windy, Ayresome Park in Nomember 1975 and was, of course, sent off. The Reds won 1-0 with Terry Mc netting the winner.

Sound bloke, completely off his head. Whenever it used to get a bit heated in the Road End he would sometimes look up and give his famous fist sign, a good scally at heart. He loved it whenever he heard his name chanted.

He had a radar that could pick out fellow Reds in a stadium filled with 40'000 opposition fans and when he recognized the Reds support at away grounds his fist would pump at varying degrees so he didn't give you away. If we had a decent support he would milk the crowd and if we were at West Ham or some other place where your life and liberty were in danger he would wink and give a very subtle clench of the first.

A great example of that was the Wales v Scotland World Cup qualifier at Anfield. It was a home game for Wales but the Scottish fans filled the stadium including the Kop. Wales ran out on the pitch towards the Kop for the warmup to a cresendo of boo's but Joey's face lit up when he recognized a few solitary fist  pumps in the crowd. Wales got robbed that night and Joey never made it to the World Cup in Argentina.

Anfield Legend.

STEVEMCQUEEN

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 05:54:35 pm »
Joey was a lad from the terraces with a kit on.

The Kop loved him so much, and when I met him years later I told him when I was bevvied that I would always love him. He looked at me for a mo, then gave me the finest LFC hug I've ever had, and that includes the ones after Rushie scored the third to do the double against the Toffees, Kenny's last gasp equaliser against Arsenal in the fa cup semi, and the huge bear hugs that followed Micky Owens winner against the Arsenal.

Oh Joey Joey
Joey Joey Joey Joey Joey Jones.