Author Topic: An open letter to RBS  (Read 12242 times)

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
An open letter to RBS
« on: August 2, 2010, 07:54:59 pm »
Dear Mr. Hester,

Grobbelaar; Harkness, Hysen, Tanner, Burrows; McManaman, Molby, McMahon, Walters; Rush, Saunders

These names will mean nothing to you. In fact, these names, collectively, will probably mean nothing to most Liverpool supporters.

To me, it’s that biting October wind. It’s the moment the door is knocked upon and your granddad stands there. It’s a hat, cap, badge or a scarf as you walk down Walton Breck Road and catch sight of what will come to define you as both a football fan and a person.

Port Vale, Rumbelows Cup third round, 29 October 1991. My first match at Anfield. It wouldn’t be the last.

I studied Dickens and Shakespeare at great depth in university, but my memory can hardly differentiate between Macbeth and Magwitch. The midfield of McManaman, Molby and McMahon is a different story.

I remember seeing the ball hit the net from Rush’s header and hearing the sparse Kop roar. I will never forget the touch of my granddad’s hug as we scored as the smell of celebratory cigarettes filled the night air. My first taste of Liverpool Football Club.

Ask any Liverpool fan about their first experience and they’ll be similarly encyclopaedic, because that’s what supporting this football club is about. A mosaic of memories in your mind displayed every time you see your team play.

This football club has the most impressive mosaic of all. That famous Anfield roar on a European night originates from the voices of the thousands who have gone before us. Inter Milan, St. Etienne, Auxerre, Roma, Olympiakos, Juventus, Chelsea. Layer upon layer of the club's history being created by us, the fans.

Football is the purest form of escapism. For 90 minutes, it doesn’t matter if you’re rich or poor, married or single. For 90 minutes, it doesn't matter if you're a lawyer, a librarian or a landscape architect. You get lost in the experience of innocence; part of you drifts back to that night against Port Vale, or that league match against Norwich; that time when all that mattered in the world was who started up front.

That innocence has been ruined by snakes who slithered into our garden and offered David Moores the fruit of his labours three-and-a-half years ago. Moores greedily devoured, and now Liverpool supporters have to suffer for his sin.

Now, it feels like we have to be chartered accountants to understand the football club. We’re sending letters to your bank using words and terms it’s not our job to fully comprehend. When my grandfather took me to that Port Vale game in 1991, he was taking me to watch a football match, not a business venture.

All of our actions and efforts to remove Hicks & Gillett are necessary evils. Just because we do it doesn’t mean we enjoy it. It will make us stronger and it will bring the fans of this football club together once more, but I look forward to the day we can all stand united over our support for a new left-back, as opposed to disdain for leveraged buyouts.

I don’t know what to believe regarding Kenny Huang’s bid. I don’t know how much control RBS have, or how much control Christian Purslow or Martin Broughton have, for that matter. The fact that this sort of business is our business is the most lamentable part of it all – Shankly’s holy trinity of manager, players and supporters is not sacred anymore.

Perhaps there should be intentions from those in power to do something with Liverpool Football Club that hasn’t happened from the moment David Moores accepted Hicks and Gillett’s bid.

Act with the best interests of the club, and its supporters, in mind - give us our football club back.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Re: An open letter to RBS
« Reply #1 on: August 2, 2010, 07:55:46 pm »
Fucking excellent.

Really resonated with me.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #2 on: August 2, 2010, 07:58:10 pm »
Quality piece Kris.

Offline smitalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: August 2, 2010, 07:59:01 pm »
Beautifully written. Only wish RBS's decision making could take into account the emotion and the pain we all feel as fans and do the right thing.

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 2, 2010, 08:01:05 pm »
Spot on that, hope they get the message soon.
psn = Lents123

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #5 on: August 2, 2010, 08:01:38 pm »
Sent a shiver down my spine, very moving piece.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #6 on: August 2, 2010, 08:06:12 pm »
Brilliant mate.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline neilfc6

• Main Stander
« Reply #7 on: August 2, 2010, 08:07:15 pm »
never a truer word said- excellent read
jog on losers

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #8 on: August 2, 2010, 08:13:32 pm »
Top notch that Kris.

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 2, 2010, 08:15:26 pm »
you write very well

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #10 on: August 2, 2010, 08:21:14 pm »
Aint seen you for a couple of years now, but want to buy you a pint big guy.
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick
« Reply #11 on: August 2, 2010, 08:21:41 pm »
Outstanding mate :wellin
Frankly if your team is mentioned in a Liverpool song, you should be chuffed

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #12 on: August 2, 2010, 08:22:24 pm »
 :wellin Wonderful Kris, just fucking wonderful  :wellin
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 2, 2010, 08:24:12 pm »
Love your writing, it leaves me feeling somewhat sad but proud.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #14 on: August 2, 2010, 08:27:57 pm »
Quality read that...

Offline proud_red_norwegian

• Anny Roader
  • SOS member
« Reply #15 on: August 2, 2010, 08:28:46 pm »
Absolutly brilliant!
And could he play!

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 2, 2010, 08:29:42 pm »
fuk me thats incredible stuff...you should be a writer mate...
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #17 on: August 2, 2010, 08:30:38 pm »
Fair play to you mate, quality work!
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline liverbnz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 2, 2010, 08:35:23 pm »
As ever, top quality mate.
One thing you will discover is that life is based less than you think on what you've learned, and much more than you think on what you have inside you from the very beginning

Offline Paddock77

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • The King and I
« Reply #19 on: August 2, 2010, 08:36:48 pm »
I too talked about my earliest memories of going the match (with my auld fella and others from the family)in my letter to Mr Hester. I would bet that most matchgoers would have similar memories but very few of us can articulate them as well as our very own L6. Quality as usual.
" A bastion of invincibility"

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #20 on: August 2, 2010, 08:37:26 pm »
I feel your pain, It must be bad getting melancholy over that team.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 2, 2010, 08:37:33 pm »
L6 Red. What a moving post.

Quality stuff mate.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 2, 2010, 08:37:46 pm »
Great stuff that mate.

Lets see if we can get as many as 35 responses to it though.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline RedSeattleite

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #23 on: August 2, 2010, 08:38:26 pm »
Great work! Hope it gets through to em.
1492. We were taught to memorize this year with pride and joy as the year people began living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America. Actually, people had been living full and imaginative lives on the continent  for hundreds of years before that. It was simply the year sea pirates began to rob, cheat , and kill them.

Offline Coady

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #24 on: August 2, 2010, 08:38:30 pm »
Good work L6.
"When you hear the noise of the Bill Shankly boys,
We'll be coming down the road"

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 2, 2010, 08:39:43 pm »
Maybe you should take up righting as a job  ;)
choose Life.

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 2, 2010, 08:40:07 pm »
Maybe you should take up wright as a job :D
Good job you haven't ;)
psn = Lents123

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #27 on: August 2, 2010, 08:40:20 pm »
Great work! Hope it gets through to em.

Anyway, as always Quality Kris.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 2, 2010, 08:40:33 pm »
choose Life.

Offline PaisleyPrint

• Believer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 2, 2010, 08:43:16 pm »
Great post...very moving.

Offline Sonic

• Kemlynite
  • The darkest hours just before dawn.......FACT
« Reply #30 on: August 2, 2010, 08:51:56 pm »
That is a really emotional piece of writing there mate, It really makes you think - Unfortunatley the twats who need to think couldn't give a fuck about us. The day they leave should become a bank holiday, it will in my house anyway,

Well done geat work   

Offline DMace

• Main Stander
« Reply #31 on: August 2, 2010, 08:53:03 pm »
Brilliant letter mate

Offline Heighwayondawing

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on The Reds
« Reply #32 on: August 2, 2010, 08:58:51 pm »
Outstanding job there! Always nice to hear from fellow supporters who still remember why it is that we laugh and cry due to what's taking place on some strip of greenery. It certainly is a shame how professional sport has changed through the past couple of decades. Where before, you could always enjoy a bit of banter about this squad choice or that or his tactics vs the other, conversation has shifted to relatively annoying topics such as ownership and transfer fees and debt. If I'd wanted to know fuck all about the finances of clubs and such, I would have learned to be an accountant. Let's hope for some transparency with the new owners. For the most part, the less you hear about this type of shit, the better the club is faring on the pitch.
The one most important thing that we all must remember, in case it slipped our mind, is this club is much more important and bigger than anybody. I'll never forget that and anybody that does is being a wee bit irresponsible and stupid I think because the club is more important than any one individual. The Club is, The Club.

Offline maqu006

• Legacy Fan
  • RAWK's literary theorist
« Reply #33 on: August 2, 2010, 09:01:37 pm »
As I alternate between writing my PhD in literary theory and following Liverpool news, I can identify perfectly with what you wrote. Brilliant. Simply brilliant.  :) :wave

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 2, 2010, 09:03:06 pm »
ye big girls blouse - grow a pair ffs

only joking - evocative stuff that lad
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline storey1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #35 on: August 2, 2010, 09:09:21 pm »
well done, simple and honest, the real side of being a red...every game a kid is making that walk down to anfield and feeling just that...god it took me until I was 30 and I was bounding down like a kid...happy to say I got my two there at 3 and 10 and their faces lit up.
Great read lad.
Slowly but surely the cogs of the red machine are beginning to turn again.

royhendo

« Reply #36 on: August 2, 2010, 09:12:41 pm »
Wow - Kris - will pm you.

Offline paisley1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Bob an ordinary man of extraordinary greatness.
« Reply #37 on: August 2, 2010, 09:13:04 pm »
Well done lad hope you get a reply.
I've been here during the bad times,we finished second once.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 2, 2010, 09:19:34 pm »
Maybe you should take up righting as a job  ;)

He considered that but chose journalism instead.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 2, 2010, 09:22:28 pm »
Well written piece. Unfortunately you are wasting your time, and your talent, trying to appeal to them that way. It wont make a difference what you say about growing up a fan, having the club in your blood, etc. They simply could not give a rat's arse.