Author Topic: Morientes: The Scouse Sheringham?  (Read 7928 times)

Offline Steve_M

• Legacy Fan
Morientes: The Scouse Sheringham?
« on: January 4, 2006, 07:59:44 pm »
Burden of expectation. 

There’s a phrase to send shudders up the spine of even the most experienced of professional footballers. 

Since Alf Common in 1905 became the first player to command a £1000 transfer fee, there’s probably not been a professional club in existence that has not signed a player at some stage who has not been weighed down with that responsibility. 

The promise of what the future may bring always looms large for those that are held up as the golden boy of their generation.  For every Robbie Fowler (until injuries took their toll) that has assumed the mantle and blossomed, there’s an Alun Evans that floundered and sank imperceptibly. 

So when Liverpool FC revealed last January that they had secured the signature of Fernando Morientes, a certain weight must have shifted onto the Spaniard’s shoulders.

At least as far as Liverpool fans were concerned. 

Expectation comes naturally when you have played for Real Madrid.  Even more so when you have three Champions League winners medals in your locker.  Add the fact that the Reds forward line seemed to have been decimated for most of the season (if not most of the team) and it seems most fans were thinking that they had signed a sure fire Golden Boot winner. 

Such was the fervour, I wondered if we had signed a combination of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Shevchenko.  In fact I don’t think signing Roy of the Rovers would have generated such hype.  It was not just the fact that he was a big name capture, but more a case of the totally unrealistic perception that he would somehow be a direct replacement for the now departed Michael Owen.  Maybe it was something to do with the fact that Owen had traveled in the opposite direction which meant that direct comparisons (and unfair ones at that) would inevitably be drawn. 

Zinedine Zidane reckoned that the loss of Claude Makele to Chelsea was the root of a lot of the problems that have haunted the Real Madrid team over the last couple of seasons.  A player that played a specific role who was on the whole, unrecognised and received little acknowledgment by the fans.  And yet Zidane knew the real worth of Makele to the Madrid team and they haven’t been the same team since his departure.  That’s not to say the loss of Makele has been the only reason behind the decline of the European cup winning team, simply one of several factors.  And yet to compare the two Frenchmen needs a lot closer analysis because on the face of it, the two of them are like chalk and cheese. 

One, dynamic, mercurial and at times simply the best player on the planet.  The other a compact, tough tackler that appeared limited in terms of skill and yet commanded a huge influence on games. 

The obvious observation has to be that the two complemented each other and the other players in the Madrid midfield.  One was as vital to the other to allow the team to function at its optimal level.  And yet no-one really draws direct comparisons between Zidane and Makele.  We know they are very different sort of players.  It’s strange that as football fans we can understand that concept and yet at times, we still wish to make similar comparisons between other players, even when it is patently obvious they are totally different type of players. 

The media has to take some of the blame.  We all know they will print and say whatever they want to improve their sales and viewing figures.  If they pander to our needs and wishes, then it is easier to accept and the power of suggestion is very powerful.  Then there is also the ‘now’ generation of fans hooked up to their internet links and access to 24 hour sports news.  The quality that once existed in the media has become diluted as anyone with enough money to afford a radio franchise can broadcast any old garbage to the public and get away with it.  At one time you would have been laughed at for voicing your opinions on a player that you had never even seen play.  Never mind the concept of paying money and actually attending a game before making a pronouncement.  Yet now everyone has an opinion. 

Even me. 

And there is a danger that if enough people repeat something enough times, then it will become accepted as fact, such as suggesting and believing that Fernando Morientes was bought as an out and out 20 goals a season striker.  In fact it’s a concept that I have noticed more and more about certain players.  That we latch onto someone and either give them the gold star treatment or create a monster that becomes a footballing pariah and a figure of mockery to the ‘Easy! Easy!” masses.  Stuff the facts.  Forget about individual thought and follow the sheep. 

The fact is that as fans, a lot of us seem to accept what we are told from uninformed sources and end up reaching conclusions and expectations which are not realistic and downright wrong.  With this in mind, you have to ask why some fans have raised their concerns about Morientes goal scoring ability.  What exactly were they expecting?  Why do these people that seem to think he’s under-performing and why do they assume that he is? 

If you had been told a year ago that Morientes will probably only score 10-12 goals all season, but he will help set up another 20, would you have been so keen to sign him?  Or would you prefer he score 20 in the league and sets up another 5 for others in the team?  Were you aware before Morientes arrived that he was never a 20 goals a season player? 

Would you be surprised to know that Michael Owen never scored 20 league goals in a season for Liverpool?  Did Michael contribute that much to the teams overall play apart from finishing moves?  Did the fact that Michael was the number one striker hinder others around him?  Why does what Morientes contribute seemed to have to be justified in comparison to Owen when the only thing they have in common is that both are forwards?  As far as I’m concerned, it’s the Zidane – Makele situation again. 

Don’t allow yourself to fall into the trap of basing whether you regard Morientes as a success or not simply by looking at the scoring charts.  Certainly scoring goals is a prime concern for a forward, but not necessarily if it is at the expense of the overall success of the team otherwise Tony Hately would have enjoyed a long career at Anfield.  If you don’t believe me, check the record books.  Shanks moved him on after he scored 16 league goals in the 1967/68 season.  Hard to believe, isn’t it?   

If Baros was such a top player, why did we release him?  I predicted last season that we would be lucky to see Baros score 15 in the season.  I’m not 100% sure, but I think he ended up with 13.  Be honest.  Exactly how much did Milan Baros contribute overall to Liverpool’s performances in terms of winning games?  How much did he assist the other players around him?  Did he end up becoming more of a liability because of his shortcomings rather than the positive things which he could contribute.  Is that why Rafa brought Morientes in? 

Why does it appear that Cisse’s days are numbered?  Is it tabloid rumour mongering or is he not the sort of player that we need?  I’d suggest that it Cisse was signed as a direct replacement of Michael Owen, then he probably would score over 20 in a season, but I would have a lot of doubts that our overall team total would be that high, as so many chances would have to be channeled towards him.  If we truly want to control games and dominate teams then we need to force them to defend in their own half more and that tends to reduce space for our strikers (for every positive there is a negative).  However it also tends to mean that opposition defences no longer just have the lone striker or joint strikers to worry about, but also 3 and 4 other players breaking into their penalty area. 

It appears many fans have the mistaken belief that Morientes (and even Crouch) are somehow direct replacements for Michael Owen (and maybe even for Fowler, Rush and Keegan).  There seems to be a belief that if a striker isn’t capable of 20 goals a season, then he is not worth pursuing.  I would argue that you can count on one hand the players in the Premiership now that are capable of that feat and probably none of them will either be in our price range or available to sign. 

So what are the alternatives? 

Remember teams are fitter and stronger than ever before.  Coaches are probably more tactically aware than at any time in football history with teams better organized and prepared. 

Is the day of the 20 goal a season striker drawing to an end or is it merely the current fad to encourage more midfielders to get their names on the scoring charts? 

Has the concept of the team reappeared at the expense of the talented individual strikers who helped to carry their teams? 

Could it be that the Teddy Sheringham or Peter Beardsley type of striker is now more highly prized than the Andy Cole or the Alan Shearer?  The all-round attacker than can hold the ball, can play the right passes and has that extra bit of vision is more valuable than the pure finisher?  Is it any coincidence that in the last 20 years, the most successful England teams were ones that contained a recognized striker beside a player that was less highly regarded, but seemed to know how to bring the best out of the players around him – Lineker and Beardsley (1986 and 1990) and Shearer and Sheringham (1996).  Maybe now is the time to have less emphasis on out and out strikers and more on attacking players that know how to score goals, but have more to their game than just pace and trying to shoot at anything that moves. 

Could it be that Morientes is in fact a younger Sheringham type player? 

Could it be that Morientes is in fact the Scouse Sheringham? 

Maybe Rafa believes that his system of play will involve more players enjoying scoring chances, rather than relying on one or two strikers who may suffer from injuries, inconsistency and bouts of lack of form. 

Maybe Rafa is still rebuilding the forward line and will bring in another main striker if he does move Cisse on. 

Maybe Rafa bought both Morientes and Crouch as forwards to support a totally different main striker. 

Maybe he really did want Owen back as the main striker to lead the line. 

Maybe the interest in Kuijt will resurface. 

And just maybe some of our fans will start to appreciate the quality of a player like Fernando Morientes. 

© Steve M 2006
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 06:07:16 pm by Rushian »

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
Re: Morientes: The Scouse Sheringham?
« Reply #1 on: January 5, 2006, 01:18:26 pm »
very good article that Steve
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Tuggster237

• Main Stander
  • YOY is the structure of my Chromosones
« Reply #2 on: January 5, 2006, 01:32:09 pm »
Good Read
The Distance between Genius and insanity is only measured in success.

Offline Bannside Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Proud to be Red
« Reply #3 on: January 5, 2006, 01:34:31 pm »

Is the day of the 20 goal a season striker drawing to an end or is it merely the current fad to encourage more midfielders to get their names on the scoring charts? 

Fine point Steve, there will be few players in the Premiership with 20+ goals per season. The game is changing and prolific goalscorers are getting harder to find.

Offline ElSheak

• Poster Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Royal Liverpool FC
« Reply #4 on: January 5, 2006, 01:37:26 pm »
Eto at Barca'. He's the only out and out stricker the play with, but behind him is a midfield designed to attack, boasting some of the best class in the world. I would have to agree with the post. Also a good read during the lunch hour.
"This very valuable asset..." No Tom. We are not an 'asset'. We are Liverpool Football Club.

Superlicious Istanbul 2005 poster – now available and seen here! (© Adrian Newell)

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 5, 2006, 01:41:55 pm »
Eto'o has great link up play too, though.

Smashing article, it's exactly right.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.
« Reply #6 on: January 5, 2006, 01:41:55 pm »
Great article, I thought perhaps preaching to the converted in places, but that will just be the cynic in me. I rarely expect people to change an espoused point of view these days, even when confronted with a strong argument.

I've got a feeling we will never see an out and out striker under Rafa whose job is just to finish moves.

That's not a bad thing in my book, I used to love watching his Valencia play and the same feeling is slowly building about watching Liverpool play: it's not about a few individual stars held together with journeyman "glue", it's more about how the team functions, with each player playing a part.

The only thing I would say Morientes is missing is that last bit of confidence which allows him to finish the easier opportunities, which he has been getting more of this season than last.

I never thought he would get 20 a season when we signed him. But ten or fifteen might come in handy, and at the moment he's going to find it difficult to make that target.
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #7 on: January 5, 2006, 01:47:27 pm »
Tomkinesque article.

I was going to take issue with the idea of having Crouch and Morientes as the supporting striker when there is no out-and-out striker, but you covered that at the last. We are waiting for the new messiah now for the complete team.  Apparently it isn't Cisse.

We really do need a 'finisher' though, our build up play is very, very good but we need that constant goal threat in the box, to scare defenders and to encourage us to put the final ball in.

(afterthought)
Maybe Rafa does see Cisse as the goalscorer, but he's keeping him under wraps for the CL final and the run in of the prem....
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #8 on: January 5, 2006, 01:48:14 pm »
I just have to say I really appreciate Morientes.

But I have my own opinion on why the town was buzzing last season, before the match against the mancs when Morientes arrived.

Morientes was our first "big name! signing for years, I cant remember last time Liverpool signed such a big name player to be honest.
Morientes had won the CL 3 times, he was last seasons top scorer in the CL, and he played in las seasons final.

Have Liverpool ever before signed a player with a history like that?
I think the answer for the excitement about his signing is as easy as that.

Excellent read by the way :)
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 5, 2006, 01:54:29 pm »
Think Fernando was just approaching his best form before he got injured, getting to grips with the pace and differant demands of the premier league, scoring and setting up a few goals etc, I hope he carries on where he left off when he comes back. You have to allow for periods of adjustment, and hopefully Fernando has had his and will now only get better. Rafa did say he is the type of player who will play better the better the team plays, so maybe there is something in that too.
' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 5, 2006, 01:54:38 pm »
Top stuff as ever, Steve. According to Balague, Rafa bought Morientes as the spearhead striker, but felt he lacked sufficient strength for the role in England, and so saw him as playing the role he did for Monaco, in the 'hole'.

It's a shame for Moro that as soon as Kewell hits top form and starts putting in good crosses, he gets a niggling injury (again). Crouch is getting on the end of them, but when both are attacking crosses (and we get someone from the right delivering them too) then we'll be in better shape. Moro can play deep and time his runs into the box.

I'm actually starting to believe Crouch can get 20 league goals for Liverpool in a season, perhaps in two years' time. His finishing is good, but he can get on the end of things other players can't. Better positining - as he appears to be taking up - will help, as will better delivery, which is now starting to come.

Compared Moro to Sheringham in .tv piece yesterday, but more relating to how he can go on until he's 38/39. Thinking players can last that bit longer, plus he's never really played 60-game seasons throughout his career. Moro is one of those players who can get better with age.

Offline boyspen

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: January 5, 2006, 01:54:57 pm »
That's all very well, but you simply have to be on target when you get free headers in the box. Unfortunately, Nando consistently lets us down in this department. Everybody knows it, but nobody wants him to see him fail at Anfield. His attitude and commitment are not in question, I only wish that Jari had been given as many opportunities.

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.
« Reply #12 on: January 5, 2006, 01:55:07 pm »
I was going to take issue with the idea of having Crouch and Morientes as the supporting striker when there is no out-and-out striker, but you covered that at the last. We are waiting for the new messiah now for the complete team.  Apparently it isn't Cisse.

Might be waiting quite a few years under Rafa, I don't think that's his model.
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 5, 2006, 01:59:11 pm »
Only concern with him playing on until he gets older would be the amount of injuries he gets, think he was the same at Madrid also.
' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #14 on: January 5, 2006, 02:00:18 pm »
Might be waiting quite a few years under Rafa, I don't think that's his model.

True, he seems to prefer holding the ball up and creating goals from midfield.
This does give defenders more to worry about and does mean you don't have to spend huge sums of money on a centre forward.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #15 on: January 5, 2006, 02:12:44 pm »
I have never understood whether when people say twenty goal a season striker they mean league goals or total goals; it is one hell of a difference in the modern game, that's for sure.

Cracking article Steve.

Offline i_wun_bite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 5, 2006, 02:13:53 pm »
Mori and Sheringham could be seen as similar type of players in terms of skills but physically, I think Mori may not be as strong as sheringham, and coming into England to play at quite a late age, adapting to the fast pace tough tackling league will not be easy.

I still have a feeling that Mori has not exactly adapt well, picking up injuries now and than. I doubt he would last as long as Sheringham playing in top flight well into his 30s. But I would be happy if Mori can replicate Sheringham's form while he was with manc. Thought he was quite effective than.

Offline Darren Page1

• Kopite
  • OH Jimmy, Jimmy, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jimmy, Jimmy Case
« Reply #17 on: January 5, 2006, 02:17:17 pm »
Good read that. Always been a fan of Mori, i think if you look at my previous posts, ive always been an advocate of "football players". People like Mori, Kewell, Fowler--players who have a great touch and vision.
I just dont think in Rafa's "vision" for a team includes a brute force plungerer like a Cisse or Baros (or maybe Owen) who is all about speed, power and pace--and not necessarily a good "first touch".

If weve learnt anything from his time with us or when he was at Valencia, its that he wants to "control the ball"-- well a first touch is of paramount importance to this hence Crouch being his first choice and i think ultimately will be the downfall of the Traores and Warnocks of the squad if they dont improve this aspect of their game

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: January 5, 2006, 02:19:32 pm »
I think waht's been interesting in recent games where Moro has played is the interplay between him, Garcia, Gerrard and Alonso. Clubs have really struggled to pick up the runs and mark the flicks from the two front men.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline lifelongreds

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19 on: January 5, 2006, 03:03:27 pm »
What about Bergkamp, Moro seems to me as someone with bergkamp's brains but not necessarily bergkamp's tricks?

Offline coct3au

• twins with arsefinger
  • Kopite
« Reply #20 on: January 5, 2006, 03:05:51 pm »
Could it be that the Teddy Sheringham or Peter Beardsley type of striker is now more highly prized than the Andy Cole or the Alan Shearer?  The all-round attacker than can hold the ball, can play the right passes and has that extra bit of vision is more valuable than the pure finisher?

It's a fair point to say that Morientes has been doing some nice stuff 'in the hole' recently, but he ain't no Beardsley, in creating or finishing! And I don't think he's as clinical (at the moment) as prime Sheringham either. I'd personally say the problem isn't so much that he's not banging in 20-a-season, but more that he's not currently taking a high enough percentage of some very presentable opportunities. It's not such a big deal when we're winning anyway, but if one of those missed sitters leads to 1 point rather than 3, the issue of whether someone else could do better becomes more relevant... I'm hoping that he'll really start firing on all cylinders at some imminent future point.

Did Michael contribute that much to the teams overall play apart from finishing moves?  Did the fact that Michael was the number one striker hinder others around him?  Why does what Morientes contribute seemed to have to be justified in comparison to Owen when the only thing they have in common is that both are forwards?

I'm not sure you can say that's the "only thing they have in common" - or if it is, why such a condition would preclude comparisons. At the end of the day, they're both 1 (attacking) player out of 11, and the relative advantages/disadvantages of each can be mulled over. Owen's creative abilities and miserliness in possession are strangely unlamented amongst LFC fans - Houllier's autumnal one-dimensional tactics seem to have engendered a consensus that Owen was always some kind of one-trick, run and shoot pony. He'd developed many aspects of his game significantly by the time he left for Madrid. In technical terms, I think it'd be an improvement to the squad if he came back - my only concern would be his ongoing injury problems.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #21 on: January 5, 2006, 03:09:09 pm »
nice read that, hope you come out of hibernation a bit more frequently... :wave
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 5, 2006, 03:31:47 pm »
nice read this  :wave

Offline Ole Gunnar

• Legacy Fan
  • In it to win it!
« Reply #23 on: January 5, 2006, 03:47:44 pm »
Great read that. Hope as many as possible read it and learn something.
Bart: Dad, what's a Muppet?

Homer: Well, it's not quite a mop, not quite a puppet, but man... (laughs, then pauses) So, to answer you question, I don't know.

Offline raemarc

• Main Stander
« Reply #24 on: January 5, 2006, 03:53:28 pm »
great article. hope u wite more often steve

Offline lfcistanbul05

• Main Stander
  • Your House
« Reply #25 on: January 5, 2006, 04:18:02 pm »
i still remember morientes first game, i was walking up to my seat and when i seen morientes in a liverpool shirt the hairs stood on the back of my neck, i couldnt stop smiling.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #26 on: January 5, 2006, 04:19:21 pm »
Top stuff as ever, Steve. According to Balague, Rafa bought Morientes as the spearhead striker, but felt he lacked sufficient strength for the role in England, and so saw him as playing the role he did for Monaco, in the 'hole'.

I was about to quote that too, except the way I remember the book (through the Christmas fog) was that Rafa didn't think he had the wide players to give the kind of service that Morientes normally depends on. That was why, according to Balague, Rafa used Morientes in a more withdrawn role.

If that's the case, then it's a tribute to Morientes that he could change his natural game at the same time as changing clubs, countries, cultures etc. Or maybe that's why he struggled for so long before hitting form.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 5, 2006, 04:19:49 pm »
I think waht's been interesting in recent games where Moro has played is the interplay between him, Garcia, Gerrard and Alonso. Clubs have really struggled to pick up the runs and mark the flicks from the two front men.
You forgot Kewell, especially in the Wigan game if my memory serves me well.....

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #28 on: January 5, 2006, 05:09:11 pm »
Hey Steve I appreciate Morientes alright and it's good to see that he's playing much better of late but the facts are that in the 12 months he's been with us he's had a fair few terrible performances. Worse than that though are some of the chances he's missed, ones that shouldn't just be bread and butter to him but easy pickings for any half decent striker.

I'm not sure why someone of his calibre hasn't been a raging success so far, maybe it really has taken this long to finally adjust to the game here and his new team, but I'm just glad he's now starting to prove his worth because any way you look at it he was starting to look a waste of space in this league at one point.

When someone of his calibre and reputation arrives for big money (£6m might seem a snip for a top player but it's still a lot of money) and is on big wages for the priviledge then I think he is fair game and open for criticism if he's not delivering the goods (which he often hasn't) especially when so many people have constantly referred to his past exploits and harped on about giving him time, class is permanent etc, etc.

Thankfully I think that there is a lot more still to come from Morientes but half way through the season I'm not sure he will even reach the 10-12 goals you talk about or the 20 assists. I'd be more than happy with that return though.

Offline Jack_frost

• Main Stander
« Reply #29 on: January 5, 2006, 07:23:52 pm »
I like Moro, but far too many maybes for me. I`ve supported the club for 17 years and I think Crouch will prove to be a great signing...........Moro will do " a job " for us but we don`t have an MO.............we need a box finisher to win the PL, and we don`t have one.

Good post but niave.

Offline StevieMagic

• Kopite
« Reply #30 on: January 5, 2006, 10:39:59 pm »
Morientes might have become the Sheringham of La Liga but so far he is struggling to regain fitness nevermind form in the Premiership. Funny how he was hinting at some form prior to his injury and as some said it was tough luck (again) that he is now missing the better service that Kewell is getting in there. Then again in between those games where his form was up & down,  the service was not half bad coming in from the right side via Gerrard. But those crosses were not hitting their intended target as the in hole player was struggling to get into the box and when he did, it was ineffective.

Its nice to think he reminds us of Beardsley but even the Beardsley at Man City at the age of 35 / 36 had more awareness of what to took to succeed in the English game than the much younger Morientes. Even the much hated Bergkamp makes me water at the mouth as he still is quicker in mind & maybe in feet that the much heralded Morientes.

I dont know as I want him to succeed, my heart says the club needs him at his best as we may be down to 2 experienced Premiership league strikers (Crouch & Morientes) this time next month. My head says he may still be at the club next season struggling for form at the expense of better players who were more suited to this league but did not fit the bill. The bill does not say 20 league goals required each year but you would think in the fine print 10 goals plus a similar amount of assists is a must.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #31 on: January 5, 2006, 11:08:51 pm »
Good article :thumbup

Whenever I saw Fernando Morientes play for Madrid or Spain I always got the impression that he was Raul's poorer half. Last January came along I was disappointed that we hadn't signed Nicolas Anelka instead.

The two excellent goals against Charlton and Fulham, nearly beheading Nigel Martyn with the rocket that set up Luis Garcia's winner in last seasons Merseyside derby were real eye catching moments but not enough to convince that Morientes would be a success in the Premiership.

The brace in Sofia and the thumping opener against Anderlecht in addition to what he’d done in the Champions League for Monaco two years ago convinced me that Morientes was a real asset to us in Europe.

The brace against Boro when it looked like game was heading for a stalemate and Morientes all round contribution in the following game at Anfield versus Newcastle finally convinced me that he was worth signing.

The comparison to Teddy Sheringham is a very good one IMO. Both have never relied on lightning pace, are excellent in the air, have an excellent touch and score outstanding goals. If Morientes looks after himself, there is no reason why he can’t emulate Sheringham and play top flight football in his late 30s.

Offline Мерфи

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 6, 2006, 10:02:01 am »
A good piece there.  You ask alot of good questions that more than a few people might do well to ponder and answer in thier own minds.

I must admit that I have shaded a bit in my excitement for Morientes, and don't feel that he is providing as much as other Liverpool players 'in the hole' have in terms of productivity and providing his team mates with chances.  He is now on his fourth stint on the trainers rehab table after relatively minor incidents (twice in muscle tears), and although his style of play lends towards being effective as a player well into his thirties - his body might not.  He has suffered from bouts of self doubt, and only recently was beginning to shake his funk before the injury.  Will he ever be truly self-confident is a question that must also be asked?  He doesn't need to score buckets of goals to find his place in the side, but he does need to continue to offer more than other players currently at the team, and serious questions must be asked if another striker could be brought in to fill that roll just as well, or better, and not break down in regular injury. 

mor mor mor Morientes . . . time to start coming good (or better)

As an admin note:  Although articles in the opinion section have a better view from the internet (through sites such as newsnow and google), by being stashed here, they also seem to bear less fruit in terms of debate, additional comment, and # of reads.  Pity.  Maybe these posts should be dual located in the LiverpoolFC Forum and Opinion - eh?
Never argue with a fool . . . people may not know the difference .

Offline red through and through

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: January 6, 2006, 01:54:12 pm »
Really enjoyed reading this thread - so many good points. However, I'm not sure there are many on the terraces that don't appreciate Morientes' ability. I totally agree that Rafa is building a team that plays as one, and the days of finding your front man are now over. I know I would prefer goals from all over the park than just your 20 man a season (although he is a 'nice to have').
You shown this to Rafa?!!!!!
“The recipe for perpetual ignorance is a very simple and effective one: be satisfied with your opinions and content with your knowledge” Elbert Hubbard.

Offline MyIronLung

• Anny Roader
  • This won't hurt a bit.
« Reply #34 on: January 7, 2006, 11:39:44 am »
I like Moro, but far too many maybes for me. I`ve supported the club for 17 years and I think Crouch will prove to be a great signing...........Moro will do " a job " for us but we don`t have an MO.............we need a box finisher to win the PL, and we don`t have one.

Good post but niave.

What, your post, or the original?
"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Simon-1973

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 7, 2006, 01:54:24 pm »
Good read thanks  :thumbup
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline A Day 2 Remember

• Legacy Fan
  • At The End Of The Storm - Are we there yet??
« Reply #36 on: January 7, 2006, 04:12:04 pm »
Good points made but Mori is so far off the pace and does not seem to anticipate the way I would expect a player of his experience. He is just not reacting quickly enough at the moment. It might just be because he is trying to regain fitness. If Kewell can recover like he has then a player of Mori's talent can if he truly wants to prove him self at Liverpool. The fact is Kewell has proved he wanted to fight his way back to the top and contribute to Liverpools success, Mori as yet has not and until he has then comparing him to Sheringham and talking about 10-20 goals is just bollocks.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2006, 04:18:27 pm by A Day 2 Remember »
5th times a charm

I want to read about a Welshman reclaiming our Kop and over engineering songs we have nicked. Priorities guys