Author Topic: How can i copy my outlook express inbox to a pen drive or my documents on pc  (Read 3675 times)

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
Anyone?
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Anyone?

What version of windows are you on?

If it's XP:

How to back up Outlook Express items

Step 1: Copy message files to a backup folder

Step A: Locate the Store folder
1.   Start Outlook Express.
2.   Click Tools, and then click Options.
3.   On the Maintenance tab, click Store Folder.
4.   In the Store Location dialog box, copy the store location. To do this, follow these steps:
a.    Put the mouse pointer at one end of the box under the Your personal message store is located in the following folder box.
b.    Press and hold the left mouse button, and then drag the mouse pointer across the Your personal message store is located in the following folder box.
c.    Press CTRL+C to copy the location.
5.   Click Cancel, and then click Cancel again to close the dialog box.

Step B: Copy the contents of the Store folder
1.   Click Start, click Run, press CTRL+V, and then click OK.
2.   On the Edit menu, click Select All.
3.   On the Edit menu, click Copy, and then close the window.

Step C: Create a backup folder
1.   Right-click any empty area on your pen drive, click New, and then click Folder.
2.   Type Mail Backup for the folder name, and then press ENTER.

Step D: Paste the contents of the Store folder into the backup folder
1.   Double-click the Mail Backup folder to open it.
2.   Right-click inside the Mail Backup folder window, and then click Paste.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 02:34:40 pm by dnkw »

Offline Walshy7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
windows 2000!!!

old work pc

will this work as well do you think?
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Hmm - don't know. Try it and see!

Did you ever find out about that Boeing 737?

Edit: think it should work - I don't think OE changed much between 98/2000/XP etc
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 02:42:45 pm by dnkw »

Offline Walshy7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
Hmm - don't know. Try it and see!

Did you ever find out about that Boeing 737?

Edit: think it should work - I don't think OE changed much between 98/2000/XP etc
Are you thinking of another walshy? boeing 737?

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Are you thinking of another walshy? boeing 737?

Must be!

There's a Walshy whose client wanted to buy a 737 which had a rather dodgy history.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
Not sure but does OE allow you to create a .pst archive? I'd go that way if so.

Offline Walshy7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
Not sure but does OE allow you to create a .pst archive? I'd go that way if so.
not sure what you mean to be honest, bit of a technophobe

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
Do you just want to back it up to a pendrive or do you want a functioning portable app that you can use to get your email on other computers?

If the latter get portable apps and use thunderbird. It can import your outlook emails and then you can use portable apps to create a version on your pen drive.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Dousty

• Kopite
There's a strange way I've found of doing this.  Basically, the way Outlook Express works is to create and maintain a DBX file for every folder you have in your Outlook Express setup.

I cannot check the exact location of this as I no longer have Outlook Express on my PC however if you do a search under C:\Documents and Settings you will find under a strange path (something like \[WindowsLogin]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express a DBX file for each folder in Outlook Express.

If you store all of your emails in a folder called Inbox then this one file (Inbox.dbx) will contain all of your emails - absolutely everything needed to recreate the mailbox.

To test out you'll need to go to a different PC and overwrite the DBX file (take a back up of anything you overwrite though; and store in a safe location) in the local folder (see above path) that they use when launching Outlook Express (to check this right-click a folder in Outlook Express and choose Folder Properties - there will be a huge path to the mailbox (DBX file) - that's the one!)

I think the easiest way around it is to say you have your DBX file called Inbox.dbx.  Don't copy it over yet!

1) Go into Outlook Express and rename the existing Inbox folder to say Inbox2 (unless it's empty, in which case just close down OE skip to point 4)
2) Create a new folder called 'Inbox.dbx'. 
3) Close down Outlook Express.

You'll now find that under that weird path above you have a DBX file called Inbox.dbx and the Inbox2.dbx. 

4) Now copy over Inbox.dbx file with your one and when you next open up Outlook Express you'll have all your emails available in the folder called Inbox.

It depends what you want to do really.  The DBX file on its own is useless without the shell (Outlook Express) to open the emails in.  However I have shit loads of work emails all backed up on a server in this format and with a little jiggery-pokery they can always be retrieved.

Sorry if I've confused you - if you have any questions let me know.
"Four or five working-class heroes were the inspiration for eleven others in red, who in turn put fifty thousand watching spectators into a fiery trance every ninety minutes."  Jamie Carragher, on Liverpool's legendary bootroom.