Author Topic: Awesome documentaries thread  (Read 279360 times)

Offline Koso_Man

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Awesome documentaries thread
« on: April 11, 2007, 02:03:45 pm »
I'll start off with two relating to the favelas in rio de janeiro.

Brazilian cocaine - Leo and Ze

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaqlCQw-YKQ

War in Brazil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk8aOviAr04

The first one was on C4, both are very good.

Your turn.

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Awesome documentaries thread
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 02:13:43 pm »
"The Corporation"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379225/

"Startup.com"
Excellent documentary about the boom/bust internet startup bubble.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0256408/

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 02:43:49 pm »
One Day In September.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230591/

Horrifying, yet fascinating, account of the Black September attack at the 1972 Olympic Games.
DAMMIT!

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 02:52:42 pm »
Anyone seen Hearts and Minds? A 70's doc about Vietnam. Sublimely done.

Also did anyone see Crossing the Line on BBC4 a couple of weeks back? It was about a US soildier, James Dresnok, who deserted during the Korean war by walking across the 38th parallel to defect to North Korea and has lived there ever since. Has possibly the oddest children I've ever seen. It was fascinating. He was even a big North Korean movie star at one point!

Crossing the Line:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473181/

Hearts and Minds:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071604/

I would like to see Once In A Lifetime, which is about the NASL in the 70's when Beckenbauer, Pele and the rest went to the US but I'm too tight to buy it. Anyone seen it?

Oh, just thought of another belter: The US vs John Lennon. Was on BBC2 last week and released on DVD this week. Brilliant.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 02:54:22 pm by cornelius »

Offline Emo Phillips

• Master of his domain. Enjoyed a young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk. Resident of MILF Island.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 03:03:04 pm »
I'll echo

The Corporation
One Day In September

I'll add some others too, but those are well worth catching.
KRAMER: "I'm at 1st and 1st. Wait a minute, how can a street intersect into itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe!"

Offline Xabidodger

• Kopite
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 03:54:54 pm »
Anyone seen Hearts and Minds? A 70's doc about Vietnam. Sublimely done.

Also did anyone see Crossing the Line on BBC4 a couple of weeks back? It was about a US soildier, James Dresnok, who deserted during the Korean war by walking across the 38th parallel to defect to North Korea and has lived there ever since. Has possibly the oddest children I've ever seen. It was fascinating. He was even a big North Korean movie star at one point!

Crossing the Line:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473181/

Hearts and Minds:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071604/

I would like to see Once In A Lifetime, which is about the NASL in the 70's when Beckenbauer, Pele and the rest went to the US but I'm too tight to buy it. Anyone seen it?

Oh, just thought of another belter: The US vs John Lennon. Was on BBC2 last week and released on DVD this week. Brilliant.

Once in a Lifetime is ok, the soundtrack is super though. Went to a screening when it came out and was rather pissed on free drinks to remember if all.

Back to topic - Touching the Void. Great!
"All that I know surely about morality and the obligations of man, I owe to football" Albert Camus

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 04:05:34 pm »
When We were Kings, has brilliant footage of the buildup to Ali versus Foreman as well as James Brown and other stars of the era.

Manufacturing Consent, a film about Noam Chomsky, definitely worth a watch.

The American Civil War, brilliant historical series.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline and luna

• Main Stander
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 04:42:53 pm »
Anyone seen a French docu called 'You'll Never Walk Alone' all about music in Liverpool in the early 90's? Mainly focuses on the Head brothers and McCulloch bit theres bits with Edgar Summerthyme (as he was known then). It's boss like, the frogs main focus is that Liverpool is/was quite deprived but Scousers are still upbeat and friendly with a passion for music. Some great scenes with Mick and John Head singin Shack an Love songs in their Ma's kitchen, dirty dishes an washin in the background.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 06:04:01 pm »
Wikipedia:

Grizzly Man is a 2005 documentary film by German director Werner Herzog. It chronicles the life and death of environmentalist and bear enthusiast Timothy Treadwell. The film consists of Treadwell's own footage of his interactions with grizzly bears before he was killed, and of interviews with people who knew or were involved with Treadwell. The footage he shot was later found, and the final film was co-produced by Discovery Docs, the Discovery Channel's theatrical documentary unit, and Lions Gate Films. The music in the film is by British folk singer Richard Thompson.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline RedTerry

• Legacy Fan
  • *Y*N*W*A*
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 06:11:10 pm »
'18 With A Bullet' is a three part about street gangs in Central America and it is brilliant. It was on BBC Three last year.
"Who's bigger than Liverpool?" Jamie Carragher when asked by Sky Sports if he'd thought of moving to a bigger club.

Offline Fiend

• Want's a Mod to 'give him one'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Got Weird Enough For Me
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 06:15:49 pm »
Why We Fight

Is American foreign policy dominated by the idea of military supremacy? Has the military become too important in American life? Jarecki's shrewd and intelligent polemic would seem to give an affirmative answer to each of these questions.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436971/

Offline David Sanction

• despicable, attention seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 06:19:20 pm »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 06:22:28 pm »
Sorry I thought you meant:

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 06:30:03 pm »
The War Game BBC

I saw this in 1985 when they finally allowed it to be shown 20 years after it was made. Very moving and very frightening.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Rorus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 06:49:00 pm »
"Give evil nothing to oppose, and it will disappear by itself" Tao Teh King

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 07:01:26 pm »
World at War - the best documentary series ever made (IMO, but at the same time FACT)
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 07:18:42 pm »
Wikipedia:

Grizzly Man is a 2005 documentary film by German director Werner Herzog.

He sounds close enough to who Brent worked for in 'The Office'
Sorry couldn't resist. ;)
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Emo Phillips

• Master of his domain. Enjoyed a young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk. Resident of MILF Island.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 08:36:10 pm »
KRAMER: "I'm at 1st and 1st. Wait a minute, how can a street intersect into itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe!"

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 08:55:09 pm »
Fourteen Days in May

Documentary folllowing the final appeal of Death Row inmate Edward Earl Johnson after he learns the date he is to be executed. Watched it in school well over a decade ago and it still leaves an impression.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline IloveGuinness17

• Knows fuck all about waves...
  • Legacy Fan
  • M.I.A.
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 11:24:47 pm »
The Fog of War

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317910/

Thats great one.

Another good doc is Occupation: Dreamland. Its about day to day activity of the US Army in Falluja.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452659/
JFT 96-Solidarity

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 12:01:26 am »
Bowling for Columbine has always been a favourite of mine. There was another one on Channel 4 last year about a dating agency for people with learning difficulties, which was a superb bit of television. I can't recall the name but it was very moving and unlike most documentaries, it was funny too. I'd love to see it again or see clips from it but can't remember what it was called.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 12:35:57 am »
Fans of quality documentaries should check out "Brothers Keeper" a Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky film from the early 90's, it's about 3 brothers who have lived together sans girlfriends/wives in the same delapidated house in the backwoods of America and what happens when oneof the brothers is accused of another brothers murder, on a similar note "Grey Gardens" by the Maysles brothers is another astonishing/uncomfortable documentary rummaging through the lives of people we very really get to see in American culture, both fascinating works...check em out.

Offline Xabidodger

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 12:43:15 am »
John's Not Mad, I can remember the effect it had on the playground the following day.

Also I have always enjoyed Nick Broomfield's stuff. His last piece Big White Self about Eugene TerreBlanche was strangely fascinating, as his work often is.
"All that I know surely about morality and the obligations of man, I owe to football" Albert Camus

Offline NYkopite

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 02:05:46 am »
The HBO film (& follow up series) 'Addiction'

Has some excellent interviews with leading scientists, physicians & psychologists (Nora Volkow in particular) on the basic biology of addiction (and how peoples brains become physically changed the longer they use). Also describes the latest research on effective ways it can be managed.

Follows several addicts/alcoholics in their battles with various drugs & alcohol.

The is a link on the website to download it free from the iTunes store

http://www.hbo.com/addiction/

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 06:07:16 pm »
Here's an A-Z for Storyville-related material. There have been some brilliant documentaries featured over the years, and is well worth a look.

(link courtesy of BBC Four)

Offline Emo Phillips

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 07:23:43 pm »
Paradise Lost: The Child Murders At Robin Hood Hills / Revelations: Paradise Lost 2

I've only actually seen the second one, but it reprises the first one quite a lot. They're making a third as the appeals rumble on. The most amazing miscarriage of justice, and just a hugely powerful film, complete with cast of lunies.

Quite hard going in places, especially the graphic images of one of the murdered boy's mutilated genitals, and the bite marks on his face.

Too much to explain in one forum post, but one of those cases where you can't believe the policing of the incident and the witch hunt that ensued, plus the most blatant suspect (one of the boy's stepfather) who had once threatened a kid with a knife, was known to have hit his stepson, and had his own teeth removed once the bodies were discovered. Also, of the three boys, only one had his genitals mutilated and his face bitten - i.e. the more seriously deranged and "personal" attack, and therefore the focus of the attack - and he was this guy's stepson.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 07:28:49 pm by Emo Phillips »

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 07:38:06 pm »
Paradise Lost: The Child Murders At Robin Hood Hills / Revelations: Paradise Lost 2

Was trying to remember the name of the first one, it is an absolutely fascinating documentary. Didn't know a second doc had been made, must check that out.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2007, 07:39:43 pm »
Here's an A-Z for Storyville-related material. There have been some brilliant documentaries featured over the years, and is well worth a look.

(link courtesy of BBC Four)
I think I have the Ajax and Barcelona ones on video somewhere.

Black Flash: A century of black footballers was awesome. Anyone else seen it?

Offline Emo Phillips

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2007, 10:02:12 pm »
Was trying to remember the name of the first one, it is an absolutely fascinating documentary. Didn't know a second doc had been made, must check that out.

Apparently they made the first one as total neutrals, making a docu about a shocking event. But the second one saw them present more of a "defence" to the three young men accused, as they were so appalled by the apparent injustice and clear failings of the system.

Whether or not people feel it's biased, it's chock full of shocking revelations (hence the title I guess!).

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2007, 05:49:35 pm »
Capturing The Friedmans. A scary examination of hysteria, hearsay and media rubbernecking.

Spellbound- engrossing, despite its subject matter.

Etre et Avoir- life in a French village school and the man who brings it all together.

Dark Days- life in the abandoned sections of the NYC subway system. The dispossessed in stark relief.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2007, 12:22:54 am »
Both Paradise Lost films are worth checking out as are Etre Et Avoir and Spellbound however i was completely unmoved by Capturing The Friedmans and actually thought it was rather poorly executed on the whole, i have a similar problem with the works of the much respected Errol Morris, The Thin Blue Line in particular with it's cheesy reconstructions is one of the single least impressive documentaries i've ever seen.

Offline Emo Phillips

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2007, 12:32:08 am »
I liked Capturing the Friedmans - such a twisted story and all captured on VHS.

Touching the Void is also a classic, as mentioned earlier.

And the recent More4 one, Young@Heart, about the pensioners aged up to 92 singing modern songs, including indie and punk covers. Truly moving towards the end when two of the band members die.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2007, 12:45:54 am »
Ah well to each his own Emo, the story itself was really interesting just felt the execution was lacking as i never really got as involved in it as i should have, not a terrible film by any means just felt it could have been a lot better.

Offline PortlandRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2007, 02:30:53 am »
Watching "The War Tapes".

New Hampshire National Guard members are deployed to Iraq and a few of them are given cameras to record their tour.  They were assigned to convoy security which is an extremely dangerous mission. 

Some very interesting things in the documentary.
"Winning is not a sometime thing" - Vince Lombardi

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2007, 03:33:37 am »
Agnes Varda's The Gleaners and I, and the sequel, The Gleaners and I, Two Years After. About the rural practice of gleaning, modern day gleaners in urban settings, the poor, wasteage of food, and the mentally ill.

Beautifully filmed, thought-provoking and quirky. And makes you fall in love with the French.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline SportBilly

• Of course America had been discovered by scousers before Columbus, but we always kept it hushed up.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I intend to live forever. Or die trying.
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2007, 05:41:38 am »
Discovery Channel/BBC - Planet Earth http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/planetearth/index.shtml

Absolutely breathtaking photography and just an all-round stunning series with only one failing point - the version that I got to see in the US is narrated by Sigourney Weaver rather than Sir David Attenborough. Scandalous!

When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.   (John Ruskin - English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900) )

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2007, 04:39:03 pm »
The World at War by Jeremy Isaacs

The Fog of War by Errol Morris

Shoah by Claude Lanzmann

The Engineers' Plot by Adam Curtis

Culloden by Peter Watkins
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline SportBilly

• Of course America had been discovered by scousers before Columbus, but we always kept it hushed up.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I intend to live forever. Or die trying.
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2007, 04:43:38 pm »
A History of Britain - Simon Schama
When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.   (John Ruskin - English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900) )

Offline PortlandRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2007, 04:38:21 am »

Saw it last year and it was just rebroadcast this evening.  Really entertaining.  Interesting to see that the 1st prefessional footy leagues in the US were started after the 1966 world cup was broadcast in the US.  The sport was really popular for a time until they spent too much money and the league folded.  Seeing Pele, Chinaglia and Beckenbauer on the same team was something else.

Haven't seen the footage from the 1976 championship match in Portland for some time.  It was a trip to see PGE Park (then it was called Civic Stadium) packed for the match.  I wasn't yet born at the time but my family tells me that the tickets went as fast as they went on sale.  Portland is a footy friendly city.
"Winning is not a sometime thing" - Vince Lombardi

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2007, 01:46:19 pm »
Seeing Pele, Chinaglia and Beckenbauer on the same team was something else.
I'd never heard of Chinaglia until this documentary came out so I did a search and found this great article on him. Sounds like he was an awesome footballer. I wonder why he is not better known.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/articles/chinagliagg.html