Author Topic: Liverpool FC vs Man City, Sunday 13 April KO 1:37pm  (Read 204185 times)

Offline maher

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone..
Re: Liverpool FC vs Man City, Sunday 13 April KO 1:37pm
« Reply #240 on: April 8, 2014, 09:58:41 am »
The fans at Anfield will play a massive role in this game.
looking forward to see a very special atmosphere on Sunday.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #241 on: April 8, 2014, 10:00:40 am »
Had to pass the tickets for this on as I'm down at a mate's wedding in Exeter of all places. Will have to listen to it on the radio on the way back home.
You crazy bastard :shocked
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Macca201188

• Kopite
« Reply #242 on: April 8, 2014, 10:13:05 am »
Its only Tuesday?! My god...
The reds are comin up the hill boys....

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #243 on: April 8, 2014, 10:18:02 am »
I am going to place a significant amount of money on City.

Therefore we will win. Thank me later folks.
If we don't win then you're buying a massive consolation round for several million reds! ;D

Offline Macedonian Red Reborn

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: April 8, 2014, 10:21:21 am »
Fucking hell, I'm shitting myself already...

Why would you be shitting yourself? This is the stuff legends are made of. You will be telling your grandchildren about this game.
"If I wanted you to understand, I'd have explained it better" Johan Cruyff

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #245 on: April 8, 2014, 10:21:28 am »
You crazy bastard :shocked

Karma mate, it scares the crap out of me. Nailed on I'd cancel the wedding, go the game, and we'd lose.

This way, we're gonna win. No doubt. :)
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: April 8, 2014, 10:21:50 am »
I think City will setup like this: -

Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Demichellis, Kolarov, Garcia, Fernandinho, Toure, Silva, Navas, Dzeko.

I think because of the threat of Zabaleta we may go for a 4-3-3 as per the setup against Arsenal and Everton at home. Maybe play Sterling on the left to help Flanagan and keep Zabaleta pinned back?

Also I think maybe go with Suarez on the right side with Sturridge up front? Kompany usually plays on the right side of central defence so by playing Suarez off the right wing (like he has done in some games already) maybe he can stay away from their best centreback and exploit the space and uncertainty on Demichellis and Kolarov's side, which is easily the weakest side of Man City's defence.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #247 on: April 8, 2014, 10:24:05 am »
Will need Hendo and possibly Lucas or Allen to do a lot of defensive work on Silva and Nasri. They are the heartbeat of the team. As long as our fullbacks can cope with theirs, we have a good chance. Their weakness is their centre defence pairing and we have the right personnel to exploit that. Against Soton, they attacked with pace from the channels and we'll need to stop that

I agree with that, and for that reason I think we'll go with 433 rather than the diamond. Their RB/RW combo is too strong for Flanagan to deal with on his own so I think sticking Sterling or Suarez on the left to combat Zabaleta could be a shrewd move. Sterling against Clichy on Demichelis' side could be good though!

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #248 on: April 8, 2014, 10:26:59 am »
How is it only tuesday?

At least we get to watch PSG thoroughly humiliate Jose on his own patch tonight and send him scurrying home to his wife with his tail and ego shoved firmly up his own arse ;D

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: April 8, 2014, 10:29:28 am »
City will not be prepared for this atmosphere. No team could be. The only thing comparable would be the semis in CL a few years back. I am convinced this will top all of them.

It's been building since the Everton game in Jan. That atmosphere was the best in a derby in years. Then came Arsenal. With each game the noise has been cranked up and the players have responded. Spurs was remarkable. I was shaking, so I can't imagine what the players felt.

Let's get in the ground early again and roar them on.

The game could go either way. We know this. It's Man City. For all the talk of our form since Christmas, Man City have hardly been relegation candidates. They've lost only once in the second half of this season and a draw will be enough for them to have an advantage in the final games. But they will have one eye on Chelsea as a draw is the best result for them. I don't think it's in Pellegrini's mentality to play for a draw and even in the Arsenal game they turned up to win and it was only in the second half when they faltered that they chose to soak up the pressure and accept the point. They will come for the win and only change that if things go against them.

High pressure, high intensity from the off. Just like the games against Everton, Arsenal and Spurs.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #250 on: April 8, 2014, 10:29:36 am »
Had to pass the tickets for this on as I'm down at a mate's wedding in Exeter of all places. Will have to listen to it on the radio on the way back home.
Well I hope your mate is gonna make it up to you by getting you tickets for the Chelsea or Newcastle games at least. Fucking hell mate this is quite possibly the biggest PL game at Anfield ever!

Offline I-was-watching-it-on-Sky

• Jiggerer Pokerer. He was watching, he was watching, he was watching it on Sky. He was watching it on Sky!
  • Kopite
  • We return to our place as football Royalty.
« Reply #251 on: April 8, 2014, 10:32:55 am »
I honestly feel a Buddha like calmness for this game...but if I was actually lucky enough to be at the game I'd be going mental.

I truly believe we'll win this game...and go on to win the title.

Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: April 8, 2014, 10:34:42 am »
At least we get to watch PSG thoroughly humiliate Jose on his own patch tonight and send him scurrying home to his wife with his tail and ego shoved firmly up his own arse ;D

But then what do I do after that?! Football is taking over my life at the minute  ;D

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #253 on: April 8, 2014, 10:38:05 am »

Got those already, absolutely no way I'm missing them. But you're right, it's one hell of a game to miss, but Chelsea and Newcastle will make up for it I'm sure when we win. :)
« Last Edit: April 8, 2014, 10:39:54 am by MushyP15 »
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #254 on: April 8, 2014, 10:43:32 am »
I just hope that our players embrace the position they are in. 

We have been fearless all season.  Even at The Etihad and Stamford Bridge in December, we went to those games to win, and arguably should have won both.

The thing that makes me more confident about this game, rather than West Ham last weekend is that City won't try to get 10 men behind the ball.   On Sunday, against West Ham, at times we looked like we wasn't sure how we would break them down.

I have said time and time again this season, that we are a deadly counter-attacking side that can, and will, hurt teams with our quick movement, and high tempo.  If the game slows down (which it does when the opposition just sit in front of the ball) then we lose some of our potency, and with that the game can become quite flat.

City have World Class players throughout their team, so we don't want to invite them on too much and allow them the greater share of possession otherwise we might not see the ball for ages, and when we do win it, they'll drop back in and cut off the counter-attack, so our pressing will have to be quick and hard, and look to get the ball off of them and hit them quickly.

JFT96
« Last Edit: April 8, 2014, 10:45:13 am by ashleyrose-66 »

Offline deadsetred

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #255 on: April 8, 2014, 10:44:55 am »
Karma mate, it scares the crap out of me. Nailed on I'd cancel the wedding, go the game, and we'd lose.

This way, we're gonna win. No doubt. :)

Or it'll be one of those ones where we get a spanking and you get shitfaced upon hearing the news, making a fool of yourself in the process. Wake up with a hangover from hell and the thought of work on Monday lingering over you like the grim reaper himself.

Could go either way though.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #256 on: April 8, 2014, 10:50:50 am »

Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Demichellis, Kolarov, Garcia, Fernandinho, Toure, Silva, Navas, Dzeko.

I think because of the threat of Zabaleta we may go for a 4-3-3 as per the setup against Arsenal and Everton at home. Maybe play Sterling on the left to help Flanagan and keep Zabaleta pinned back?

Also I think maybe go with Suarez on the right side with Sturridge up front? Kompany usually plays on the right side of central defence so by playing Suarez off the right wing (like he has done in some games already) maybe he can stay away from their best centreback and exploit the space and uncertainty on Demichellis and Kolarov's side, which is easily the weakest side of Man City's defence.

Isn't Aguero back for this one? I'm sure Pelligrini said he was, mind you I suppose he may start him on the bench.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #257 on: April 8, 2014, 11:08:43 am »
Isn't Aguero back for this one? I'm sure Pelligrini said he was, mind you I suppose he may start him on the bench.

Aguero is back however he has not started a game since his comeback so maybe he will start on the bench but im sure Skrtel will take care of Dzeko just like he did with Carroll

Offline pjshaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: April 8, 2014, 11:10:49 am »

Dmichellis vs Suarez/Sturridge/Sterling  :lickin

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #259 on: April 8, 2014, 11:12:04 am »
Dmichellis vs Suarez/Sturridge/Sterling  :lickin

Should be fun, wonder which player will man mark Luis? Kompany? If so the pace of Sturridge will be good enough to beat Demichalis

Offline ryatnalkar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: April 8, 2014, 11:13:46 am »
Hate to point out the obvious, but.. redalways is your father!

Ha ha. That's funny.

Offline pjshaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: April 8, 2014, 11:14:02 am »
But then what do I do after that?! Football is taking over my life at the minute  ;D
Next day will bring you Bayern handing Untied their arses on a plate. It's the thursday, Friday and Saturday I'm worried about.

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #262 on: April 8, 2014, 11:14:12 am »

Maybe he will change him for Milner, Pellagrini seems to do this in the big games..... i would rather navas play as he doesnt track back like Milner

Online HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: April 8, 2014, 11:26:34 am »

4-3-3 but I think Allen will start not Coutinho.

Offline Sgt. Pepper

• Legacy Fan
« Last Edit: April 8, 2014, 11:33:20 am by Sgt. Pepper »

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #265 on: April 8, 2014, 11:29:53 am »
Last week I recorded both CL games on Wednesday night on my Skybox so watched PSG-Chelsea and then Real-Dortmund as if both were live. Made for a very long evening of football but if you want to extend the football experience I suggest you do the same!

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #266 on: April 8, 2014, 11:33:23 am »
I think they will start with Navas and give instuctions to run at Flanno all game.  I thought Flanno struggled against Diame in the first half and City would have seen that.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: April 8, 2014, 11:38:17 am »
They will target Flanagan and wish they hadn't done. He loves these games.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #268 on: April 8, 2014, 11:39:31 am »
Bring them on! Clattenburg is a good choice from the FA. Let's fucking do it lads!
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #269 on: April 8, 2014, 11:40:12 am »
I think they will start with Navas and give instuctions to run at Flanno all game.  I thought Flanno struggled against Diame in the first half and City would have seen that.

Maybe Johnson LB and play Flanno RB?

Offline SA RED

• Anny Roader
« Reply #270 on: April 8, 2014, 11:44:31 am »

City while blessed with billions have at times looked vulnerable but the individual quality that the possess is wonderful. Toure, Silva, Kompany, Zabaleta and Aguero are matchwinners comparable to our own. Where we have the edge is mentality, desire and Rodgers. Brendan will have a Plan A, B and X if need be to deal with Pellegrino's boys.

3 Jan 2012-    MCFC vs LFC
                             1-1
27 Nov 2011- LFC vs MUFC
                                0-3
26 Aug 2012- LFC vs MUFC
                          2-2
3 Feb 2013-    MCFC vs LFC
                              2-2
26 Dec 2013-  MCFC vs LFC
                             2-1

So will it be Sleeping Giant or the newcomers from up the road?

:-\

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #271 on: April 8, 2014, 11:48:27 am »

Diame would have to be the most powerful winger in the league (understand that he is usually CM) though wouldn't he?

Navas is no match for Flanno strength-wise, I think he'll cope much better with the physical battle.

Online Red-Dread

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #272 on: April 8, 2014, 11:49:57 am »
just found out we have been let down for tickets at last minute - gutted but will try elsewhere and if not to be will watch in liverpool anyway and get down around the ground to lend support

never dream of footy but did last night and am getting a bet on 3-1 with suarez first goalscorer (wondergoal too haha)
first ever avatar..... ben(d)oak

Offline Pie Eyed

• More like Eagle Eyed! Looking to sub Lfsea.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: April 8, 2014, 11:55:42 am »
I was already looking forward to Sunday - Settle in front of the TV, watch the macth, scream at the ref, etc.

Last night, I asked a friend who used to get me tickets for Anfield if he knew of any friends that couldn't make it - Knowing that I was searching for a hen's tooth covered in rocking-horse shit.

Turns out that my treasure hunt was a lucky one.

For the first time this season, I'll be at Anfield.  What a firking game to get to.

BRING...... IT....... ON !!!!!!!
Jürgen Klopp (26 June 2020)
"We were good 4 years ago.  We were really good 3 years ago.  We were unbelievably good last year.  And this year it is absolutely exceptional.  Second to none that I know."

King Kenny to Jürgen (25 June 2020):
"I think your Da' must've been on our side during the war, because you seem like a scouser to me." :D

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: April 8, 2014, 12:00:05 pm »
A 4-0 battering to go past them on goal difference!!!
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline rafathegaffa

• Legacy Fan
  • Bang bang Rosie
    • A few songs...
« Reply #275 on: April 8, 2014, 12:04:18 pm »
Sturridge was brilliant against City and Chelsea last year - he was so fired up. We missed him at Christmas but he'll be on fire for these two.
This is a huge chance!

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #276 on: April 8, 2014, 12:04:20 pm »
Interested to know what others think but when I’ve seen City recently, which is not a lot to be fair, their most effective tactic is to play a high line, push up aggressively and suffocate the opposition by making them play in their own half.  Basically they cut off half the pitch and make sure their midfielders/playmakers like Silva, Nasri, Toure play as close to the oppositions goal as possible.  They did it to United all game and Moyes had no real solution.  They did it to Arsenal in the first half and could have won the match in the first 45 but Wenger managed to find a way through in the 2nd half although I can’t really put my finger on what he did.

So to our game.  The aggressive line bears significant more risk against Liverpool.  Sturridge can play on the shoulder but Sterling’s running (or even Henderson) may be considered more dangerous as he begins deeper.  I wonder will City go with that line.  When it works well it is very, very effective.  But with runners from deep it can lead to indecision (when to push up, drop off).  Kompany more or less admitted on MOTD that the defenders have to defend a lot more space than compared to Mancini.

Alternatively, they can sit back and soak up pressure and hit on us the break.  We know how effective this can be and City have the capability to play on the counter.  But it would be asking players like Nasri and Silva to track back and their touches on the ball could potentially be limited and more so restricted to in and around the centre circle.  Certainly not their natural game.  We have also shown in a recent weeks an added dimension to our game.  The patience in possession and probing until we break sides down.  Sitting deep also invites Luis Suarez into your penalty area and you certainly don’t want him there if you’re an opposing centre half.

It would be fascinating if there was not so much riding on the game.  What I have written points to us having an advantage but I wonder how City fans see them winning the game. 

Offline Walk On

• Legacy Fan
  • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart ...
« Reply #277 on: April 8, 2014, 12:17:04 pm »
Interested to know what others think but when I’ve seen City recently, which is not a lot to be fair, their most effective tactic is to play a high line, push up aggressively and suffocate the opposition by making them play in their own half.  Basically they cut off half the pitch and make sure their midfielders/playmakers like Silva, Nasri, Toure play as close to the oppositions goal as possible.  They did it to United all game and Moyes had no real solution.  They did it to Arsenal in the first half and could have won the match in the first 45 but Wenger managed to find a way through in the 2nd half although I can’t really put my finger on what he did.

So to our game.  The aggressive line bears significant more risk against Liverpool.  Sturridge can play on the shoulder but Sterling’s running (or even Henderson) may be considered more dangerous as he begins deeper.  I wonder will City go with that line.  When it works well it is very, very effective.  But with runners from deep it can lead to indecision (when to push up, drop off).  Kompany more or less admitted on MOTD that the defenders have to defend a lot more space than compared to Mancini.

Alternatively, they can sit back and soak up pressure and hit on us the break.  We know how effective this can be and City have the capability to play on the counter.  But it would be asking players like Nasri and Silva to track back and their touches on the ball could potentially be limited and more so restricted to in and around the centre circle.  Certainly not their natural game.  We have also shown in a recent weeks an added dimension to our game.  The patience in possession and probing until we break sides down.  Sitting deep also invites Luis Suarez into your penalty area and you certainly don’t want him there if you’re an opposing centre half.

It would be fascinating if there was not so much riding on the game.  What I have written points to us having an advantage but I wonder how City fans see them winning the game. 

Agree with a lot of what you've said.  The high line is something they definitely excel at.  And its no surprise given the squad of players they have and the fact they're more inclined to attack than defend. 

You've mentioned names like Silva and Nasri potentially having to track back and defend but you really need to include Toure in that.  While he's "meant" to be a defensive minded midfielder, he's less likely to defend.  True, he's fantastic going forward but from the highlights I've seen, he leaves a lot of open space behind when he's upfront.  He's also looked quite slow in getting back. 

As a result, I can see us starting with pretty much the same line-up as against West Ham.  We should have the pace and power to push through and if players like Sterling and Coutinho are up it, it's going to be a physical battle against their 'bigger' players.  We really need to exploit the width again with their full backs more likely to bomb forward and with little or no cover.

One player who I think is going to be vital for us is Sturridge.  He had a bit of an off game against the Hammers but he needs to be sharper in front of goal.  Suarez is going to be the menace he always is but Sturridge will need to be clinical as I don't think we'll get many opportunities, especially if Kompany and Fernandinho are playing.

I think the key difference will also be the atmosphere.  We need to bring the 12th man and scare them before they've walked out of the tunnel.  This will be something that none of them would've experienced, even the manager. 
- Rebuilding the Bastion

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: April 8, 2014, 12:17:44 pm »
The crowd need to make City shit themselves.

They are used to playing at a Library
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: April 8, 2014, 12:26:00 pm »

I think that we may play Suarez dropping off Kompany into the space between the lines. In the game at City Kompany kept charging out of their defensive line to close Suarez down, allowing plenty of space for Sterling to exploit cutting in from the right,  which also led to our goal there.

I think we could try and do the same again, but perhaps Sterling from our left to pin Zabaletta and Sturridge from the right to get between Kolarov and Demichellis. It's going to be really interesting how Brendan approaches this.