Author Topic: Thanks a million, Rafa Benítez  (Read 11452 times)

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
Thanks a million, Rafa Benítez
« on: March 18, 2009, 10:32:41 pm »
This was posted on another thread by enoder, says it all for me,a great read at the end of a great week:

Thanks a million, Rafa Benítez
WARNING: the following article is going to express alarmingly positive sentiments about a figure previously mocked by this very author. Rafa Benítez, we salute you.

I used to think that Rafa Benítez tactical nous was over-rated. My opinion was that he was great at adapting his side to cancel out the opposition, stifle them, annul their strong points, and then hope for a lucky break. It`s astonishing how often that seemed to work.

After all, that`s what Liverpool did to Chelsea in October when Rafa`s lot came to town and ended Chelsea`s magnificent unbeaten run at Stamford Bridge. If any one match sealed Phil Scolari`s fate, it was that one: Chelsea had been playing some electrifying football up until then, with fast-paced wing play, fullbacks bombing forward, and some nifty short-passes. Rafa`s ploy was to block the supply lines from the flanks, and to get into Jon Obi Mikel`s face to ensure that he couldn`t redistribute the ball from defence to attack. It wasn`t pretty, but by Zola it was effective.

The problem for Chelsea was that this ploy was seen by any number of other teams, Roma for starters. The secret to undoing Chelsea was out there, Liverpool had deployed it. It didn`t help that, having been found out, Scolari didn`t have an alternative tactic. Chelsea were undone by teams using Rafa`s tactics.

Fast forward to last week, when Liverpool first dismantled Real Madrid and then Manchester United. Rafa`s post-match conference on Saturday was astonishing. "We knew their defence had weaknesses," Benítez said. "They are strong in defence but that's because they have plenty of possession elsewhere. They have a lot of quality in attack but that is the main thing that they have. When they don't have the ball and you move the ball quickly and play behind their defenders you know you can beat them."

The Spaniard went on. "I do think they have weaknesses. We knew they are really good at playing between the lines with penetrating passes so we needed to stop those passes and put their midfielders under pressure every time they received the ball. After that we had to play simple passes and go forward quickly because they [United] are an offensive team and always high up the pitch."

In the analysis of the Guardian, ManU are so committed to attacking they can leave themselves vulnerable to fast, incisive breaks, particularly when the ball is played behind Vidic, whose weakness is his speed on the turn. "That was one of the ideas," Rafa confirmed. "We knew with [Torres's] movement we could create problems for their defenders."

Wow. What was that about? Why had Rafa been so explicit about his tactic that had so comprehensively undone Manchester United? As in his dissection of Chelsea, he had found the formula to destroy Manchester United. However, with Liverpool chasing Manchester United, and relying on the Champions to drop further points so that Liverpool can sneak up, he`s broadcasting loud and clear how to beat Manchester United. He is inviting opposition managers to follow the Rafa formula. You too can beat the Mancs, here`s how, he is shouting to the world, and particularly the managers of the 10 Premier League clubs still to face United.

And that is why, contrary to what the ManU faithful have been saying until lunchtime Saturday, Rafa Benítez is not only tactically more astute than Siralex, he has the advantage in the mind games. Earlier this year, Rafa read out an astonishing rant about Fergus, about how he influences the referees and the game`s authorities, not to mention his constant whining about the fixture list. It was painful to hear … except for one point: every single thing that Rafa said was totally true. ManU lapped it all up: on Saturday stalls were selling mock Rafa T-shirts that described the Liverpool manager as "Deranged! Ludicrous! Insane!" One banner at Old Trafford said "Rafa`s cracking up. The front cover of the Mancs`s Red News fanzine recently had Rafa superimposed into a straitjacket. The irony of all this couldn`t be funnier.

Liverpool used as motivation for their clinical demolition of Real Madrid firstly the Madrid President`s remarks that Madrid would piss all over Madrid. President Boluda predicted that Madrid would win 3-0 at the Bernabeu and 2-1 at Anfield. He certainly got that right. Rafa also used the comments from Madrid coach Juande Ramos that Rafa`s Liverpool was boring. And on the day of the match last week, Fernando Torres held up the front page of 'Marca`, the Real Madrid court circular, which had, splashed across the front page "This is Anfield … so what".

These are powerful motivation tools. Did Liverpool use, in the run-up to Saturday`s game, the banal but ill-advised comments by Wayne Rooney about how he used to hate Liverpool and that that hasn`t changed? Or was it the continued mockery of Benítez by ManU? Or was it the confident prediction by various ManU players that Liverpool would be knocked out of the title race by Saturday afternoon. Let`s just say that the net result was that, whilst United were jaded and complacent, Liverpool were stoked up.

Compare and contrast this calculated reply with that of Siralex. Firstly there was the fact that Fergus didn`t speak to Sky news before and after the game. The reason for this? A protest against a 12:45 kick-off time. Yes, readers, that`s a kick-off time that allowed maximum revenues (via Sky) for the club. That`s a kick-off time that had been suggested by the police, and discussed with both clubs. And agreed by both clubs. Apparently it hadn`t been to the liking of Siralex, who boycotted Sky.

Siralex already boycotts discussions with the BBC. The reason? It`s lost in the mists of time, based on a documentary on the BBC that questioned Fergus` son`s transfer dealings. A key element was when one BBC journalist dared to ask a critical question to the Knight of the Realm about Juan Sebastian Veron. Juan Sebastian Veron, that`s the midfielder who was purchased from Lazio for £30 million. To the question that Veron had been involved in an argument with his team-mates, Siralex blew a gasket: "People are always going on about f**king Veron. You tell me, what's wrong with Veron?", he fumed. "What's this thing about fights and all the rest of this sh*t? It's absolute nonsense, you know it's nonsense. Absolute lies. On you go. I'm no f**king talking to you. He's a f**king great player. Yous are f**king idiots." 4 months later Siralex flogged 'f**king great player` Veron to Chelsea at £15 million.

2 years ago, Siralex launched an astonishing attack on the BBC, saying that the national broadcaster is "arrogant beyond belief". Read that again: Fergus the bogeyman accuses the BBC of being not only arrogant but "arrogant beyond belief". You can`t make this kind of thing up.

Actually, I`ll tell you what you really can`t make up: after seeing his side hammered on home soil 1-4, demolished from A to Z, outmanoeuvred and tactically belittled, the best that Professor Mind Games could come up with was to claim that United had been a "better team". "It's a hard one to take as I thought we were the better team," he said. "We have to accept that it was a bad day in terms of the goals we lost, but I cannot fault the display." No really.

As Chelsea fans, we have every interest in hoping that ManU slip up. We didn`t manage to do that ourselves, but Liverpool have just helped make that possible. It would be boring if ManU go on to win a third successive League, let alone any of the other elements of their quintuple. It would also suggest that English football is not actually that competitive. Thanks to Liverpool, maybe an element of competitiveness has been reintroduced. That`s good news for Chelsea. For the moment, Chelsea and Liverpool are allies in hoping that ManU slip up again.

Fergus, if I were you I`d be looking nervously over your shoulder because (forget about José) you have met your tactical and psychological match in Rafa. And for the teams facing ManU in the coming matches, read Benítez`s comments and watch the DVD of the Liverpool game to see how ManU can be beaten. We owe it to football to push ManU and open up the League. Thanks for that Rafa.

http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=513701
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:34:40 pm by redprodigal »

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Thanks a million, Rafa Benítez
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 10:44:04 pm »
Cracking read that. Thanks for posting ! :wave
"When I decided to sign a new contract I did it because Liverpool Football Club is more than a club. It is the heart of the city. It is our life and for the people here it means so much. I thought I had to sign. We have to fight. We have to do it."

"Hello, a big heart has space for everyone. Thank you."

Offline kingkop182

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 10:44:51 pm »
Nice

Offline scousepaw

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 10:46:44 pm »
Great stuff...

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 10:49:00 pm »
Enjoyable read. Hit bullseye on one or two important points. Rafa's post match response to how we beat ManU was most definitely a semaphor for the 9 other managers that ManU face (10 if you include Fulham). Spot on about the post match Fergie, but I didn't see Rooney's comments making many waves but that's a personal opinion.
Also bang on about hunting down Utd together... an odd one to contemplate perhaps, but I'm quietly hoping Chelsea win their games along with us... just for a few weeks anyway.

Offline TLT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 10:52:16 pm »
It's nice to see it come from someone else.

We all know that United are favorites for the title, but if somehow we do it, well. I can't even imagine the delight.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 10:52:18 pm »
Also bang on about hunting down Utd together... an odd one to contemplate perhaps, but I'm quietly hoping Chelsea win their games along with us... just for a few weeks anyway.

Absolutely. Not particularly that I'd rather Chelsea won it than United if we can't, but that the pressure of two chasing clubs is better than one. Though being seriously chased by us (let alone spanked by us) is Fergies worst nightmare and not something he's really had to deal with before.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 10:54:39 pm »
It will be very interesting if we get them in the CL. They will obviuosly try to play us at our own game but to be honest they haven't got the players to do it.I don't see Anderson, Carrick and Scholes being able to play a sufficiently high tempo pressing game.
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 10:54:49 pm »
Great read.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Crazynumber9

• Legacy Fan
  • Be afraid!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 11:00:15 pm »
A great article and one of the view from an opposition that is completely unbiased which as we all know ids difficult at the best of times.

All hail the Rafatollah :D
Proudly an internet terrorist since 2010!

Offline destiny_dude

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 11:02:22 pm »
And THat came form a CHELSEA Fan??

Surely interesting but many things said there were Spot on.
Defeat the defeat Before the Defeat defeats You. :o

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 11:02:24 pm »
cheers redprodigal, great read :)
Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 11:04:06 pm »
Very interesting indeed. :D

This is the reason I think we'll win the title if we can stay close enough. People want the Mancs to slip up. They want us, or Chelsea, to win it. Not the Mancs. If we can stay within touching distance, the pressure will build up and I believe it will work in our favour. We'll be asked "Can you win the title? Can you cope with the pressure?". The Mancs will be asked "Will you slip up? You were this many points ahead and now you are not. Why?"

We'll get positive pressure, they will get negative. With our hunger to win the title, we have a great chance if only we can do our bit and provided the Mancs can drop points.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 11:04:44 pm »
Very interesting to read from a differetnt point of view , good read .
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 11:05:11 pm »
Absolutely. Not particularly that I'd rather Chelsea won it than United if we can't, but that the pressure of two chasing clubs is better than one. Though being seriously chased by us (let alone spanked by us) is Fergies worst nightmare and not something he's really had to deal with before.

I don't particularly like the thought of Chelsea winning it but my god it's a hundred times better than those lot getting to number 18.

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 11:06:33 pm »
Liked that a lot.

Good to see Rafa get some of the credit he deserves.

Of course we were incredibly lucky to beat the invinicbles on Saturday mind, everyone knows United are the better side so really, the game shouldn't have been played and United should have just won by default.

It's a travisty the game was even allowed to go ahead...
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 11:08:26 pm »
Great read lad.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 11:18:45 pm »
Great read.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Superthing

• "power crazed, trigger happy, imbecile with no sense of reasoning..." who can he mean?...
  • Kopite
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 11:23:33 pm »
I didn't realise Whiskey nose had boycotted Sky saturday, just thought he was perhaps too pissed to speak or something, someone really needs to slap some humility in to that arrogant twat! 

I have to agree with the "if we don't catch them I hope Chelsea do" anything to stop them getting 18!

Offline corkman

• Main Stander
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 11:28:58 pm »
That was a great read.Very satisfying it is to see Ferguson come out with " we were the better team".

Master of the mindgames my ass!!!
YNWA

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 11:30:01 pm »
blimey.   amazing piece from chelsea.

actually its interesting that no one in the media has dwelt on demento ducking interviews with everyone after the game but of course sly were happy to carry his 'statment' about being the better team on the day.

did he hand it over on the back of a piece of chewing gum?

EVERYTHING rafa has said about that fucker is true and its about time he got called to account.

at last other clubs are picking up on what rafa stated way back in january.

it doesn't matter how many ex-grey skull players are managers now the truth is irresistible.

stick it in em rafa and three cheers for vital chelsea (and that's something i never imagined typing least of all here)

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 11:33:43 pm »
I have to agree with the "if we don't catch them I hope Chelsea do" anything to stop them getting 18!

For me it's got absolutely nothing to do with 'better it's them than them.' Hoping Chelsea win it before man Utd hasn't EVER entered into my head this season. It did during the European Cup Final last year yes, but for the league title? Nope.

It's the hunting in packs bit that I'm interested in - enough to inspire a draw or two from the Mancs in the next 4 or 5 games.

You've just been spanked... spanked at home by your greatest rivals. They had just broken records for clean sheets and Vidic was built of marble. Dossena even scored. Then suddely... *poof*. Man Utd are far too strong a side to lose at Fulham, or Villa when they turn up, but when they look behind them, are they more comfortable with 2 teams in a distant frame?.. Or just the one?

Offline redraga

• Anny Roader
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 11:34:13 pm »
Excellent read. I went  :o when he said he was a Chelsea fan.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 11:35:13 pm »
good read that, quite surprised to see it from a chelsea fan, but happy days, i an happily surprised :D

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 11:38:39 pm »

It's the hunting in packs bit that I'm interested in - enough to inspire a draw or two from the Mancs in the next 4 or 5 games.

yes it's a good point, and it was why a good win for Chelsea at the weekend against Man city was so important, I know it was only 1-0, but they battered them with Essien in absolutely top form. enough to just put the mancs off their stride Maybe ?

Offline Mecca Kenny 77

• Main Stander
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 11:38:56 pm »
Good read especially coming from a Chelsea fan. If we are somehow unable to win it this year I would rather Chelsea or any other team for that matter to win it than Mancs. As for the game againts MU, I think that it only shows the brilliance of Rafa tactics and the aging of Sir Alex state of mind (doing 3 subs at the same time, all attacking players when his defence was being outplayed by us. When Vidic was sent off there's no one available to cover)

I think I'll call him Sir Alex Fungus from now on.

Offline ScouserFreddy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 11:41:37 pm »
Good Read....Thanks, Rafa
in Istanbul after 60 minutes "look at the scoreboard, and never ever GIVE UP in your life" ;)

Offline Bennyo

• Wasn't arsed about having a custom title, so all he got was this.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 11:45:17 pm »
I'd prefer to lose a ball than to watch United win a league.

Very enjoyable article - he'll more than likely get stick from Chelsea fans about it but the guy clearly sees what us lot see in Rafa.

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 11:52:02 pm »
Great read lad.

redprodigal is 50. i judge that you're about 14/15. lad? show some restecpa.
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2009, 11:56:27 pm »
enough to just put the mancs off their stride Maybe ?

Our 4-1 did that. Before that game we'd have just taken a result... a 1-0. No problem - bite your hand off. But we undid them. Breezing towards another title... one of 5 nigh on in the bag, then we turn up. There's nothing quite like knowing you are going to win something and then suddenly wondering if maybe you won't. They will want to rub out that niggle we planted very quickly because 2 teams lie in wait. Two good teams.

The title is far from 'in the balance' - don't get me wrong, but the manner of their loss to us adds an unexpected element into it all. One slip up in their next 3 games with us and Chelsea winning, a race will be on between two rejuvenated teams vs one very nervous one.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2009, 12:03:27 am »

Thanks mate but I'm sure he meant no offence, I've been called a lot worse  ;D

Edit, I've just noticed you live in Belgrade, "lad" is a saying that's used for anyone of any age around here my friend  :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 12:07:37 am by redprodigal »

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2009, 12:03:50 am »

ha ha, every one calls you lad in Liverpool, my nephew calls my dad ( who's 75 lad) !

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2009, 12:10:44 am »

Thanks mate but I'm sure he meant no offence, I've been called a lot worse  ;D

ha ha, every one calls you lad in Liverpool, my nephew calls my dad ( who's 75 lad) !

meh i know it's scouse slang basically but still it just pokes me in the eye when i see a youngun like myself throwing it about [not to other younguns] like they own the place. and he's from southhampton :)
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2009, 12:23:44 am »
Good read. Spot on with most of it although in fairness to United, they were the better team on Saturday.

Offline phoenician

• Kopite
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2009, 12:43:38 am »
It's a cold day in hell when we get such honest and fulsome praise from a partisan of another big club.

Cold in hear innit?

Great read, thanks for posting.

Offline vanishingpoint

• Anny Roader
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2009, 12:49:10 am »
Hmmm.

I don't really get this modern day habit we've got into of having to lampoon people. Until last week it was our manager, this week it has to be theirs.

Facts:
1. Fergie's a fantastic manager, one of the finest the game's ever seen.
2. Fergie's a great character.
3. Fergie actually understands British footballing culture and always reaffirmed the importance of the "North-West Derby" (and L.F.C's pre-eminent position in Britain's footballing culture) at a time when Sky/southern based hacks and the media were ready to bury our club under a hyped up exaggeration of Chelsea and Arsenal's neo-victories.
4. Fergie's generally fairly gracious in victory and generous in defeat, which is more than you can say for the Arsene bloke down the motorway.
5. Fergie's refusal to talk to Sky wasn't about the scheduling, and, to be fair, even if it was it would be great for more of our managers to have the balls to stand up to those greedy, fixture-snatching fucking tits.
6. Shankly would've loved Fergie, and, if was our manager, you would too.
7. You'll miss Fergie.

Just facts.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 12:53:37 am by vanishingpoint »
Reclaim LFC: First oust G&T and Purslow, sack Hodgson, shoe the anti-Rafa teds out of L4.

Offline RedHandGang

• Kopite
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2009, 12:58:43 am »
Surprising read, but having talked to a couple of older Chelsea fans earlier in the year there are a couple with whom you can have proper conversation about football. Oh and a common theme with these arl arses is Abramovich suddenly working out he is not as rich as he was and fcukin off, a close second is the type of players coming in now that they have been usurped by Manchester City, and then Roman's diminishing roubles.

Anyway ta for that and nice to see that Rafa is getting a bit of respect, finally.
"One defends when his strength is inadaquate, he attacks when it is abundant."

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2009, 01:01:38 am »
meh i know it's scouse slang basically but still it just pokes me in the eye when i see a youngun like myself throwing it about [not to other younguns] like they own the place. and he's from southhampton :)

Don't pay attention to him, he is just seeking for attention.

On topic: cracking read, interesting to see other fans acknoweledge Rafa's tactics and class...
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2009, 01:08:07 am »
6. Shankly would've loved Fergie

Shankly took the piss out of Demento to his face.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2009, 02:09:39 am »
Great read!  ;)

Oh... and Fergie could not even brush Shankly's boots... Shankly has been a great MAN, Ferguson just a great manager... nothing more, nothing less!
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."