Author Topic: Match Preview: Stoke City vs. Liverpool FC - Sunday 9th August 2015, 4pm  (Read 99967 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Benteke has to start. Personally i would rather see Ings play with him and just one of Ibe or Lallana.

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Benteke has to start. Personally i would rather see Ings play with him and just one of Ibe or Lallana.

or Benteke-Firmino?
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
I'd start Benteke and Firmino against Stoke and then bring them off when they start to tire.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
or Benteke-Firmino?

Id be amazed if Firmino starts next week. Its a tough game and maybe he will still be a bit rusty. Him and Benteke today were getting in each others way a couple of times so it will take a bit of time.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Id be amazed if Firmino starts next week. Its a tough game and maybe he will still be a bit rusty. Him and Benteke today were getting in each others way a couple of times so it will take a bit of time.

I don't think we should worry about him physically against Stoke. Looking at him play you can see he likes to get stuck in and win the ball back. He probably won't bit fit enough to last the full 90 though.

As for Benteke and Firmino getting in each others way, the only way we can remedy that is let them play together. The more they play alongside each other the better the understanding between the two will become mate.

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan
They should both play.They need playing time to get fully fit.

Offline Sim6

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
I reckon we will go with something like this;

Mignolet
Clyne Skrtel Sakho Moreno
Henderson Can Milner
Ibe Benteke Coutinho

Bogdan Lovren Gomez Lucas Lallana Firmino Ings

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
I don't think we should worry about him physically against Stoke. Looking at him play you can see he likes to get stuck in and win the ball back. He probably won't bit fit enough to last the full 90 though.

As for Benteke and Firmino getting in each others way, the only way we can remedy that is let them play together. The more they play alongside each other the better the understanding between the two will become mate.

I dont mind who starts but this Stoke game almost screams out to start with players that we know what are going to get. Milner, Henderson etc. have spent all pre-season playing with the likes of Ings. I think Benteke should start but i wouldnt be 100% confident knowing that these players and midfielders are going to be spending much of the game getting to know each other.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
You could start one of Benteke and Firmino with a plan to bring them off, but definitely not both. I'd go with

Mignolet

Clyne - Skrtel - Sakho - Gomez

Milner - Henderson

Ibe - Coutinho - Lallana

Benteke

Subs: Bogdan, Lovren, Moreno, Can, Lucas, Firmino, Ings/Origi (They're on a pretty even level currently)

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I dont mind who starts but this Stoke game almost screams out to start with players that we know what are going to get. Milner, Henderson etc. have spent all pre-season playing with the likes of Ings. I think Benteke should start but i wouldnt be 100% confident knowing that these players and midfielders are going to be spending much of the game getting to know each other.

I don't think it'll make much of a difference KH. I think too much is made of players needing to get to know each other at times. Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho didn't need to. Good players find a way to adapt to their new side quickly.  And I actually think having a hardworking player with the 'unknown factor' like Firmino in our side could benefit us against Stoke.

Saying that, I have a feeling Firmino won't start anyway. I'd just be more then happy if he did. It wouldn't worry me at all.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2015, 09:33:33 pm by Solomon Grundy »

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Feel sorry for one of Ings/Origi, as it looks like one of them will be missing the squad for Stoke. Could happen quite a bit in the league games too.

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
I'd start Benteke and Firmino. 

They are our big signings, they are the match winners - get them on the pitch.  If they can only do 60 mins (I don't see why they can't do more as they both did that today), then sub them.  Rather see them for 60 mins, than 30 mins.

I'd go:

Mignolet

Clyne Skrtel Sakho Gomez

Ibe Milner Henderson Coutinho

Firmino

Benteke

Not the best role for Coutinho and in most games I'd like to see the diamond formation with him behind Firmino and Benteke.  However in this game I feel Stoke are most vulnerable wide, as they defend narrow.  So Ibe and Coutinho could really hurt them in those areas, with Firmino supporting Benteke in the box.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'd go :

Mignolet

Clyne                                     Skrtel                                         Sakho                   Gomez/Moreno

Can/Lucas

Milner                                           Henderson

Firmino                                                                          Coutinho

Benteke

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Definite starters: Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Milner, Henderson, Coutinho.

I'd imagine Lovren and Moreno will make up the defence.

Away at Stoke I reckon Can will feature as well.

Benteke will probably start up front. I imagine Rodgers was tempted to go with Origi or Ings due to fitness but the goal Benteke scored today has surely guaranteed his spot now.

Just whether he chooses Ibe, Firminho or Lallana for that final spot - I wouldn't mind any of them.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Confession: I have never watched any element of the 6-1.

I was at a family party that day and simply cut off all things football for a good few days.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Definite starters: Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Milner, Henderson, Coutinho.

I'd imagine Lovren and Moreno will make up the defence.

Away at Stoke I reckon Can will feature as well.

Benteke will probably start up front. I imagine Rodgers was tempted to go with Origi or Ings due to fitness but the goal Benteke scored today has surely guaranteed his spot now.

Just whether he chooses Ibe, Firminho or Lallana for that final spot - I wouldn't mind any of them.
I'd have thought the fact it's Stoke who we lost 6-1 to in our last match guarantees Benteke's spot.

Offline Le_Mot_Juste

• Pity that it is hidden in thousands of considerably less merit.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fully endorse my custom title
Any particular reason for the Lallana enthusiasm?

Ibe's pace while Benteke/Coutinho occupy defenders could be a lethal weapon.

Mignolet
Clyne   Sakho       Skrtel      Moreno

Lucas
  Hendo                           Milner
               Ibe       Coutinho
                   Benteke     
To choose dogma and faith over doubt and experience is to throw out the ripening vintage and to reach greedily for the kool-aid.
- Hitch

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
Would love a big win to get some sort of revenge for these twats ruining Gerrard's last game but would be delighted with a win however it may come.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline beefdog

• Kopite
Confession: I have never watched any element of the 6-1.

I was at a family party that day and simply cut off all things football for a good few days.

Same here, first game I've completely swerved in a long time. Highlights and all.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan

I agree, but surely Benteke is rusty too (not taking his amazing goal in to consideration). I still think it will be Ings leading the line myself, with Benteke and Firmino on the bench. I think that the team to play Stoke will be largely made up with the side that faced Helsinki, maybe with one or two changes, possibly Moreno in for Gomez.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
I agree, but surely Benteke is rusty too (not taking his amazing goal in to consideration). I still think it will be Ings leading the line myself, with Benteke and Firmino on the bench. I think that the team to play Stoke will be largely made up with the side that faced Helsinki, maybe with one or two changes, possibly Moreno in for Gomez.

Most players will know what we are going to get with Benteke though.

To be honest i am not that fussed because at this stage there are not that many obvious choices and the team that plays Sunday.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
Respective teams in the 6-1 game compared to current teams:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Stoke

Begovic
  Cameron Shawcross Muniesa Pieters
                   N'Zonzi Whelan
        Walters        Adam     Arnautovic
                           Diouf

Subs: Butland, Wilson, Wollscheid, Ireland, Odemwingie, Sidwell, Crouch

Key summer additions: Van Ginkel, Glen Johnson, Afellay, Joselu, Shay Given

Likely opening day starting lineup:

Butland
    Johnson Shawcross Muniesa Pieters
                    Sidwell    Adam
      Ireland       Van Ginkel    Bojan
                           Diouf

-------------------------------------------------

Liverpool                 

Mignolet
     Can  Skrtel   Sakho  Moreno
            Henderson Lucas
  Lallana       Allen     Coutinho
                  Gerrard

Substitutes
Ward, Touré, Lovren, Ibe, Sterling, Markovic, Lambert

Key summer additions: Gomez, Clyne, Milner, Benteke, Firmino, Ings

Likely opening day starting lineup:

Mignolet
 Clyne  Skrtel   Lovren   Gomez
                  Lucas
          Henderson Milner
    Ibe                       Lallana
                 Benteke

Subs: Bogdan, Sakho, Moreno, Can, Coutinho, Firmino, Ings

--------------------------------

Those are two very different teams compared to those that met in May. Stoke have lost Begovic and N'Zonzi from their team and added Van Ginkel and Johnson; whereas we've added Clyne, Milner, and Benteke to completely alter the dynamic of the team.

I'd say that we have more than good chances of winning this, though a lot depends on how productive our attackers are in front of goal on the day.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2015, 10:31:51 pm by rickardinho1 »

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
I think we know the starting lineup and formation already

Migs

Clyne
Lovren
Skrtel
Gomez

Milner
Hendo
Coutinho

Lallana
Ibe
Benteke

It's been telegraphed over the last few friendlies.
Lallana plays if we that much is clear. Lovren is getting another chance. Rogers will want to prove he got those signings right.

« Last Edit: August 2, 2015, 10:45:52 pm by artanis »

Offline TorquayRed

• Main Stander
Hope Stoke are ready for a royal dicking.

Probably will be the team against HJK but with Benteke up front - hopefully also with Mr Firmino, but I'm not sure if he is fully fit. Gomez should get the nod for his defensive abilities.

Shame Ibe is cup-tied but we have plenty of competition for his position.
This gang of holey cheese making, Toblerone chomping, euthanasia loving, daft fucking penknives with about 90% shite that you'd never use in a normal lifetime, can go fuck themselves.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
Arnautovic went off injured for Stoke today. Will be a big miss for them if he doesn't make it.

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
Rarely has a first game meant so much, back in 2013/14 we beat Stoke on the first day, thanks to Mignolet, and I can still feel the lift that moment and result gave the team, in the absence of Suarez, lifted us up where we stayed (mostly).

Next week's game is so important, partly because Stoke is probably the ultimate test outside the top 4 away from home, because we so much need to put 2014/15 and that game behind us but also because we don't want to head into that string of away games chasing points for catch up, it's the wrong place to be mentally.

Must play well, must get a positive result.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
I think we know the starting lineup and formation already

It's been telegraphed over the last few friendlies.
Lallana plays if we that much is clear. Lovren is getting another chance. Rogers will want to prove he got those signings right.

Surely Benteke plays in Helsinki, if thats the case? Surely it would have made sense to start him with the lads he will be playing with. Id be shocked if he starts.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2015, 10:58:43 pm by deano2727 »

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
If Benteke isn't starting on Sunday then i'll be amazed.. If Firmino starts on Sunday then i'll be amazed. If Lovren starts over Sakho then i'll be amazed...

I'd think we'd line up as...

Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Gomez, Henderson, Milner, Coutinho, Ibe, Lalana, Benteke.

God aint it good to have the football back on!

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
Sounds like Stoke have had a pretty good weekend  ::) ;D

Stoke City 0, Porto 3 Full-time report: Heavy defeat and injuries to end pre-season

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Stoke-City-0-Porto-3-time-report-Heavy-defeat/story-27531164-detail/story.html#ixzz3hhLc1YL1

(...)

Two first half goals from Aboubakar and Bueno and Brahimi's second half penalty – plus injuries to Marko Arnautovic and Marc Wilson made it three friendly defeats in a row on a bad afternoon for the Potters in the Colonia Cup.

(...)

There was no place for Ryan Shawcross (back) in a side completely changed from the 2-1 defeat to hosts Cologne

(...)

There were positives – none more so than Bojan made his first start since suffering knee ligament damage at Rochdale in January, lining up next to Peter Crouch in attack.

(...)

It got worse when Arnautovic hobbled off holding his thigh and there was not enough time to make a substitution before it was 2-0.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
haha brilliant match preview Harinder.  I'm just buzzing that the football is back on again  ;D

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
This is probably the best time to play Stoke. I'm excited.

FOOTBALL IS GOING TO BE BACK AND WE'RE GOING TO WIN ALL THE FOOTBALL

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
If we have any designs of putting ourselves in a good position in the league, this IS a good time to play Stoke and win. Beat all the teams who are expected to be mid-table and relegation (10th and below), make sure you don't lose to the rest , but also take advantage of these teams when the are vulnerable (i.e. beat them).

Offline Phil_88

• Legacy Fan
                    mignolet

clyne       skrtel     sakho     Gomez

can

hendo         milner

firmino                      coutinho

benteke

id go with this then take off firmino and benteke if needed after 60 mins

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm fairly relaxed about this one. Some selections will be interesting - Gomez or Moreno? Sakho or Lovren? Does Ibe play? - though we won't see our "best 11" until September, probably. I suspect we'll win comfortably - 2-0 or 3-1. We've too much quality for them and it was clear last season the players downed tools during the 6-1 (and pretty much everything they hit went in).
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
My mind says i'd take a draw, my heart says let's smash these 6 fingered c*nts and remind them that last season was a one off
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
Very excited. I would go with this...

Mignolet

Clyne      Skrtel          Sakho      Gomez

Can
           Milner                       Henderson

Ibe                             Coutinho
                           Benteke

Legs in midfield. Work hard, cover ground. Can off at 60 minutes, Firmino if we need a goal, Lucas if we wanna protect what we've got.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Twat of a ground for us to play at. Twat of a team for us to play against. Let's twat them this time. Bobby and Phil running rings around Huth and co. as they get steamrolled by Big Christian. Come on you Reds!
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I want a sexy as fuck Samba style goal from a play from Bobby and Phil.  It should incorporate:

A Rabona

Multiple stepovers

"No Look" pass

Seal dribble

and any other thing's Brazilians try which will be finished off by the ball striking Benteke's arse and going in.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Just need to lose by less than 5 goals, and I'll be happy ¬¬

Let's go 6 better than that.

Offline markay_stinkay

• Legacy Fan
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Bet £50, get £50 free
Firmino, Coutinho and Lallana. Excellent central attacking midfielders. So why the persistence with wanting to play 4-3-3 and playing these lads wide? Because let's face it, Coutinho and Lallana wide did not work last season.