Author Topic: Markovic - the second season  (Read 39328 times)

Offline kevin87

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Markovic - the second season
« on: July 14, 2015, 03:37:55 am »
As there was no thread open or available for the fella, I thought I would start one up, feel free to delete mods or merge with another one that I'm not aware of.

I feel Markovic has become almost a bit of a forgotten man at Anfield. There has been so much talk of Lallana, Coutinho, Firminho and even Ibe being the creators and attacker in our newly defined squad for next season, i am quietly holding confidence that Lazar can also really step up in his second season at the club.

With sterling now moved on, there is also a lot of talk about finding a replacement for him. I feel we have one already in the squad with Markovic. Last season he was shunted around the team so much he hardly got time to settle, however as we know from his days in portugal he can play both wide or in behind the striker as a #10. He is not a flying winger such as sterling, but he has a really good touch. I would love to see a pass completion statistic of his as the times i watched him last year, he always seemed to me to have a really quick passing tempo to his game. I was always impressed with his skill level and feel this is a really good grounding for him to work on. Sure his movement needs a bit of work, and the price tag could be hanging round his neck a bit, but i feel there is a real Gem of a player in there.

The biggest thing for him was at times he just looked like a young kid Shot of real confidence.  Im hoping he has a few really good performances in pre season and gets his head back. Pre season tours against far lesser opposition has been heavily scrutinised by many on this board and the media alike. However if Markovic, and others, come back from a tour of the far east with his tail up and confidence back we could have a really good player on our hands here. Him firing would be like a brand new signing, all over again!

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Markovic - the second season
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 05:50:18 am »
I feel there is a great player there too. I also recall he went through a brief patch where he won motm a couple time mid season. Hope he's givne a fair crack of the whip next season.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 07:09:31 am »
He's a player who has been ranked by many as the best talent in Europe since the likes of Ronaldo and Messi broke through...

I can't say we've ever seen a sign of that...

I can't help but think that he might be better played off the front man as a quick forward.

I really like the kid, a player like him playing at wing back is unusual, but he threw himself into it with gusto and really tracked back well.  However... He's not really played as well as he could last season, and I wonder if he is suited to British football.

But, there were a couple of games last season when he looked very talented... Around the time he produced that outrageous volley to hit the bar, he played some very effective football.

The jury is out, but he ruined Sterling's last piece of media work, so I'll give him another season at least :)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 07:44:52 am »
He's becoming good on my career on Fifa.

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 08:16:08 am »
He was the player I was most excited about last summer. He was very much a prodigy at youth level and made his debut for Partizan when he was 17, putting in some very impressive performances. He's moved around a fair bit for a player so young so naturally that must disrupt your groove a little. I'm hoping (and expecting) a much more relaxed and effective Markovic this year.

Offline Notorious IT

• Gilt complex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Alcoholic
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 08:18:52 am »
I was excited by his signing last year. I'll be honest in saying that I thought he showed very little last season though. I really hope there is a player in there, I hope he gets time, and he tries his damnedest to make it here.

Offline Reds Flag

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 08:49:55 am »
Gooarn Lazar! I back him to do well this season. He has the raw talent for sure, and now he's had a year to settle in - he just needs game time and encouragement and I'm sure we'll discover we have a fantastic player on our hands.

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 08:54:51 am »
He seemingly has no position though to play in this side. We already have plenty that all want to play in the luxury central role, maybe he might settle and regain some confidence this year though? He looked shot by the end of last season.

Offline MihawkLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Meh.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 09:06:08 am »
I think with Sterling sold on, he will kickstart his Liverpool career. Not similiar players, but I'd say they have the same favourite position which is left wing :)

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 09:09:52 am »
I think with Sterling sold on, he will kickstart his Liverpool career. Not similiar players, but I'd say they have the same favourite position which is left wing :)

I've Ibe ahead of him.

Some players are just not suited to the PL and he is one of them.

A 45 min man. Needs to vastly improve.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 09:47:50 am »
I hope he gets lots of time this season, I like his raw talent and I think he will mature well, he is one of Europe's prospects and binning him this early would be a horrible mistake

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 09:49:08 am »
Please don't play him wing back and we will watch him flourish.

Offline cyador

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 09:55:07 am »
He's a strange one Markovic. Before we signed him I remember that Norwegian scout guy saying he was this lightning quick winger, with the potential to be great.

Unfortunately since we signed him he hasn't shown many attributes of a top winger, not that quick and not really a dribbler.

Hope he turns it around this year but he's got it all to do.

Offline kilamangiro

• Main Stander
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 10:04:03 am »
Markovic v Sterling v Ibe

Interesting that he doesn't take on players as often as Sterling or Ibe, which probably shows his lack of confidence.

To me, he looks a classy player, capable of picking out the kind of passes with vision that most wingers are not capable of. He has a lot of potential - great pace, good touch, good passer of the ball. The rest is all psychological.

Offline redintweed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 10:05:01 am »
I hope he gets lots of time this season, I like his raw talent and I think he will mature well, he is one of Europe's prospects and binning him this early would be a horrible mistake

Agreed. New to the EPL, young and lets face it, little experience against top opposition. Yes he played a bit of Europa League but the Portuguese league is no way near as physical as the EPL and he did struggle a little bit with the physicality of it all. I hope he comes good as we spent a fair wedge on him. But my guess is we'll see his best next season. This season he should consolidate a bit and next he should really fire. Not to say that this season will be another write off but he is still not quite there physically for mine.
I'd rather play for Liverpool Reserves than Everton.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 10:14:12 am »
Good excuse to repost a favourite....

"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 10:25:47 am »
New country, new language, new league, new team-mates/manager/tactics (role to play in the team). All of this at 20 years old and people expected him to hit the ground running? I've written off the first year before he even kicked the ball, the lad needs to adjust and settle in. Now in the second year we might see more flashes of his brilliance but I fully expect him to kick on in his third year here. 
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 10:30:53 am »
Side of a diamond.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 10:36:21 am »
We will be serving large helpings of Humble Pie to a lot of Rawkites who wrongly made yet again an instant judgement on this guy, he will be a massive player hopefully for us.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 10:38:48 am »
Tough first year but I think we'll see much more of him this season. He's got lots of pace, just needs to back himself to take people on.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2015, 10:42:37 am »
Markovic has the ability and if we're going back to a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 then hopefully he'll get an opportunity in his natural position.  You'd hope that he's now feeling more confident and settled in his surroundings having had a season to adjust and he's ready to go out and prove himself in a Liverpool shirt. 

Online joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2015, 10:42:55 am »
I'm sure there's a player in there, on the few occasions he played with confidence, he looked very good.
I don't see how he'll get many starts outside of the League Cup and Europa League though with Firminio, Coutinho, Lallana and arguably Ibe ahead of him in the pecking order in the wing/attacking midfield roles and the possible addition of a new striker likely to see us using two up front, at least at times.
Either way, really hope he comes good.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2015, 10:52:28 am »
Again, I have nothing against him as a person or a player. Needs to be said. However, he needs to have a really good season, or he's probably never gonna make it here. Firmino, Lallana, Coutinho, Ibe and perhaps Milner. That's his competition and the player(s) who don't perform could/should be up for sale next summer. Ibe being the only exception.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Juliman

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2015, 10:53:12 am »
I have a feeling he will improve this season. Getting that RB position sorted with Clyne means Markovic won't have to play in an uncomfortable position. Hopefully he'll get chances as a winger or #10.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2015, 10:55:42 am »
Play the attacking winger in attack, maybe he'll actually have a shot at doing something.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2015, 11:10:36 am »
There were flashes of a good player in there last season, just needs a decent run of games. Sure he'll come good.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2015, 11:22:44 am »
Hope to see him flourish. We really need him to

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2015, 12:00:38 pm »
He needs to nail down a position in the attacking end of the pitch. With sterling out of the equation now, I think he'll get more game time in those attacking positions while Firmino finds his feet?

All this talk about possibly loaning him out, depresses me. How can we be giving up on players, halving their values and just getting rid? I have high hopes for him.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2015, 12:12:21 pm »
With Sterling gone now it leaves a spot for him higher up the pitch in a wide position,he'll be stronger on the right hand side cutting in.

There is a quality player in there let's give him a chance to show it.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2015, 12:26:56 pm »
We'll see a much more improved Markovic next season, that's for sure.

Offline rushie9

• Kopite
  • FAN FAN
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2015, 12:28:35 pm »
it just Rodgers nvr use him wisely and or he stick to those he soo confidence of but really producting nothing fr them, Markovic touches and vision in game is much better than... say Sterling imo..
FAN= with one eye open to see all the goodies of a player, with the other eye and ear shut....

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2015, 12:43:02 pm »
He's best as a second-striker. He won't get a chance there, though.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2015, 12:46:37 pm »
Feel the problem this season will be getting him in the team rather than anything on him. Moved a couple of years too soon. 

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2015, 12:50:07 pm »
He's best as a second-striker. He won't get a chance there, though.

What makes you say this? His contribution around the box last season was pretty shocking, most notably his resistance to pull the trigger never mind actually score, wasn't much better at Benfica I dont think.

That's not to say it wont improve, but Markovic's skill set is carrying the ball in to space and then slipping someone else in rather than being the one on the end of a move.

Would love to see him in centre mid. Side of a diamond ideally. That's where his attributes will be allowed to shine, we dont need someone who's scared to shoot playing around the box.

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2015, 12:50:32 pm »
Seems to be one of many players we have who is best central in a free role.

Coutinho, Lallana probably think the same as well.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2015, 01:07:46 pm »
He reminds me a bit of Robert Pires…similar look,  hair and running style and…well that's about it really. haha

Seriously though he's never going to take too many players on when a defence is set and seems most effective when he's in open space orchestrating a counter attack.  A very good passer of the ball and given our signings/likely signings could be very effective in setting up a number of goals this season.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2015, 01:14:50 pm »
Lest we forget, he was only 20 last season. He will get better. We need to give him time to develop. I am rooting for him. Hopefully the coaches are able to get the best out of him
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2015, 01:20:19 pm »
I reckon this guy could be one of the surprise packages of the season. He could have a big season, if given the chance.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2015, 01:24:19 pm »
I saw enough of him in flashes last season to see he can become a brilliant player.

Regrettably, I'm just struggling to see how he's going to get enough chances next season to play the amount of games in positions where he can impress.

He's definitely the type of player that needs a good run of games to get his confidence going.

Barring unexpected injuries to other places, will he get those chances?

Really hope so.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2015, 01:26:01 pm »
I like Markovic, he has the ability to be a fantastic player, he just needs to take more risks and be a bit braver. At times he wants us to walk it into the net and instead of taking on a shot himself he all too often looks to square it to someone else

I think Markovic is a player that will benefit greatly from working with someone like Ljinders who can pinpoint what areas of his game he needs to focus on specifically. Some were way too harsh on him throughout the season and claimed he offers nothing but when he takes the risky option and displays confidence in himself he's difficult to stop.

I think when he came on against Basel, before the red he was playing very well. Taking players on, showing confidence and most importantly demanding the ball, all the time he wanted the ball. He looks to me a bit like a player who works best playing on instinct as opposed to playing with a lot of time to make a decision on the ball

This is the Markovic i think we all want to see more often... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=278RhLJUtsU

Minus the red card of course