Author Topic: Expectations For 2015/16 Season (Brenties Crystal-Ball Thread Mk. II)  (Read 168022 times)

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
Re: Expectations For 2015/16 Season (Brenties Crystal-Ball Thread Mk. II)
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2015, 07:47:40 am »
Fifth or sixth , decent cup run ....." that's yer fucking lot " ....profitable off the field ......club sold by March  8)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2015, 07:54:14 am »
Quote from: C=topic=321617.msg13912762#msg13912762 date=1433796617
Top 4 or heads will roll

What makes anyone think we can even aspire to be top 4 next season? We're 6th best at the moment and the top 4 will all strengthen with top 4 quality. We've no Suarez anymore, no Gerrard, Sturridge is a crock and Sterling doesn't want to be here. That means we need three top attacking players coming in.

We've replaced Gerrard with Milner and will probably throw in centre mid where he's very average (he's a good wide player), we've signed Danny Ings, Origi, Bogdan and may get Benteke and Clyne. We've got 5th-7th written all over us with 8th probably more likely than 4th.

The only thing we've got to be optimistic about is the prospect of a decent coach or two coming in. But top 4 looks miles away so if it's top 4 or bust then you may as well roll the heads now.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2015, 08:10:23 am »
Depending on the massive unlikelihood we sign 2 absolute belters in attack then it'll 5th/6th, maybe flirtation of a cup final and out before the last 16 in the EL. Depressing season inbound. Sterling and Coutinho both will be getting off aswell.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2015, 08:19:21 am »
Depending on the massive unlikelihood we sign 2 absolute belters in attack then it'll 5th/6th, maybe flirtation of a cup final and out before the last 16 in the EL. Depressing season inbound. Sterling and Coutinho both will be getting off aswell.

After last season we needed a real statement of intent from the owners. Big changes in the dugout, a couple of big signings, a new DOF and the desire to really put right what went wrong and challenge again. We're still as uninspiring as ever in the transfer market and simply putting Marsh and Pascoe out to pasture doesn't go far enough. It needed to happen but they weren't the reason we were shit last season and it remains to be seen who we actually replace them with.

It seems to me like we've accepted our lot now and know we won't be top 4 bar the odd season when everything clicks and one of the top 4 has an awful season to give us an opening. FSG have zero ambition for this club beyond making a profit when they sell it. The problem with that is we don't need to be great on the pitch for  them to make that profit.

They wanted us to become Arsenal and be CL regulars to boost our value but their absolutely appalling staffing choices over the last 5 years have made that impossible.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 08:27:09 am by Bitter Mug »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2015, 08:58:39 am »
To even be considered a threat for the top 4 a few things are going to have to fall into place with all pretty much linked to hitting the ground running and building up some much needed momentum and feel good factor around the club again;

1. Rodgers will amend his pre-season training (fitness) techniques to allow us the best chance at hitting the ground running.
2. Rodgers selects a formation and style (after taking advice from his new coaching set up) and sticks to it.
3. The new signings all embed seamlessly into the squad so that we can.....hit the ground running
4. We sign a top top striker outside of the ones that have been mentioned so far.

Other wise i would think that we will finish somewhere between 5-8th.

Just a quick explanation as well, obviously Rodgers knows far more than any of us about fitness training but i just think that it is so important for his own survival and a successful season that we start quickly. There's not much point in his squad peaking after Xmas if he is no longer in a job and lets be honest, he will be under immense scrutiny from the first whistle next season.

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2015, 09:10:54 am »
Eh. 4th. I think we should expect 4th, and I think the owners will expect 4th - Rodgers is not going to be sitting pretty otherwise. However let's come back to this when the window is closer to closing and we see what happens with Sterling.

I'D QUITE LIKE A CUP THOUGH.

Offline Dree

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2015, 09:16:54 am »
At the moment I'm expecting 5th at best, depends who we and Spurs buy in all honesty. Top 4 doesn't bother me that much given our record in Europe, if we can hold onto Coutinho and Sakho and get a Cup while the stadium gets finished that won't be terrible. Sort of a poor mans Arsenal. Woo.

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2015, 09:23:02 am »
5th with rodgers sacked half way.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2015, 09:33:17 am »
We have some poor results early, injuries to key players add to that. By Nov-Dec we are bottom half of the table, Rodgers loses the dressing room and is promptly sacked. New manager comes in, galvanizes the team, perhaps makes an inspired January signing and we climb our way to a 7th place finish and a strong fa cup run, perhaps the final.

Offline Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2015, 09:33:25 am »
Believe 5th will be a struggle. 7th I reckon. We've managed to go backwards and stay there in regards to defending, keep asking the question do we have shit defenders, or are we just shit at defending? We obviously need to strengthen up front but even if we do they won't be scoring as prolifically as Suarez and Sturridge R.I.P. Just too many holes to plug for any shot at the top 4
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2015, 09:50:34 am »
A trophy, coupled with a genuine and sustained assault on the top 4.

I want us to be competitive in every game we play, from the first whistle of our season all the way into the last second of injury time in at the end.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2015, 10:09:59 am »
I'm expecting us to challenge for the top four. That's the very least we should do. Maybe we make it in maybe we don't. The difference could be one bad call or a deflection or a number of random things so i wouldn't hold it against the club if we fell just short. However if we don't even challenge then serious questions will need to be asked of the manager and people running the football side of the club day to day.

I'd also expect to see an improvement in European as it'll be Brendan's third time in European competition and he's got to start getting the hang of it sooner or later.

And i'd also expect to see us play better and score more goals.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline dast18

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2015, 10:18:15 am »
Premier League: Top four challenge
Europa League: Quarter final
FA Cup: Fourth round
Carling cup: Winners
If he was Dudek would've saved it...and there would be no film.

Offline paulsheridan08

• Legacy Fan
  • we have dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2015, 10:31:44 am »
we're gunna win the league, we're gunna win the league. now that we've got milner, now that we've got iiings and when we get bogdan. we're gunna win the league.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2015, 10:47:54 am »
I think next season is particularly hard to predict given all the things going on currently. But here goes

I think we should challenge for top 4, and will get it.
I think our signings from last summer will improve and one or two may flourish more.
I think we'll get quite far in Europa.

All this is based off the team as it is now....I have no idea how our new signings will fit in.....no idea if im talking out my arse and we'll just continue to fumble around and fuck up.

But I'm going for optimism at the moment. Will have a look again in August
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Runcornred92

• Kopite
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2015, 11:03:33 am »
This is the least optimistic I have ever been about an upcoming season, I was more optimistic about the upcoming season under Hodgson than what I am about this upcoming season.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2015, 11:10:44 am »
I suspect this might be a bit early to form any robust predictions. Might be better come Aug or even 1st September.

My personal expectation for next season is that we achieve 70+ points in the league and that we observe a consistent and improved style of play. Everything we are doing, and have been doing at all levels of the club, should be geared towards these realistic aims.

In retrospect last summer, the transfer policy seemed like a scattergun approach. Who we bought in the summer of 2014 didn't really match up with the various formations and styles of football we tried to play the following season. There are mitigating circumstances but as we stand today it's hard to look back and decipher what the plan actually was, and how we were planning to integrate these players into the managers preferred tactics. Whatever the plan was, it was ineffective.

No matter who recruits the players, or who the players are my hope/expectation is that this summer we have a coherent plan for player recruitment that fits with how the manager wants to play. There were too many square pegs in round holes last season. One of my big hopes is that we see a lot less of this next season.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2015, 12:29:51 pm »
It's way too early to say. We'll only really have an idea after we've known what is going to happen with the transfer committee.

If everything remains in place in regards to recruitment and scouting then we'll keep regressing. Simple as that.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2015, 12:46:26 pm »
It's way too early to say. We'll only really have an idea after we've known what is going to happen with the transfer committee.

If everything remains in place in regards to recruitment and scouting then we'll keep regressing. Simple as that.

Come on Brentie! Tell us now!

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2015, 01:55:52 pm »
I'll tell you at the end of the summer once we've signed whoever we have. At the moment, it isn't looking spectacular.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2015, 01:56:59 pm »
Has to be 4th or better and that's the goal we should have right now so it will direct our summer dealings so we can acquire the players that the owners, Brendan & Co see that are essential for us to give it a right go at that goal. Personally we have to be targeting that quality of player, fellows who are good enough to be vying their trade in the CL but for various reasons.......present club is not in CL, gone a bit stale at a CL club, see LFC as a stage where their best can be showed etc...will get us back to the top 4.

Top 4 goals are not even good enough for us as we enter the 4th year under Brendan, as no matter what has gone before, ie the sale of one or two of our best players.... the structure of the team should be good enough to be challenging for the top 4. If they don't then we know whats going to happen.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2015, 02:06:07 pm »
This year is the year!!*

*Free Upgrade to V. XXVI available now!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 02:16:31 pm by LiverBirdKop »

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2015, 02:16:13 pm »
My heart says 3rd, my brain says 5th or 6th or even 7th. That's without knowing which players we sign.

If the cockroach Ayre remains involved in footballing matters, it won't be a fun year.  :-\

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2015, 02:18:05 pm »
I expect my waist to grow if I don`t get back in the gym.

Offline Juliman

• Kopite
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2015, 02:41:22 pm »
Underwhelming transfer window, but a surprisingly good start to the season with Coutinho effectively carrying the team by himself. Inconsistent season sees us finish 5th, with a clear gap behind United. Quarter-finals in Europa League. 6th round in the FA Cup and semi-finals in the League Cup. Rodgers praises our character after each Cup elimination.

BR sacked after the season.

Now go and prove me wrong LFC! :wave

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2015, 02:43:02 pm »
My goal is to rid myself of unrealistic expectations.  This quote says it quite nicely: 

HOW CAN LIVERPOOL FC MAKE US BETTER PEOPLE?

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2015, 02:54:27 pm »
Expectations.

Expectations come as a sort of bare minimum. Whatever my expectations are there has to be room for them to be surpassed. So with that in mind the following.

-To start the season with a coherent plan of play, and plan to move forwards that can be seen on the pitch within the first 6/7 games that the fans can get behind.
-To start much better than last season points wise with an aim of 18+ points after 10 games. We need to get above 70 points and that will have us on course early. I expect us to be on at least 15/16.
-To challenge for top four to the very last game of the season whether we make it on or not.
-Following on from that, a minimum finish of 5th. If the teams we are trying to get above like Man United and Arsenal all get to high 70's or low 80's then I would expect a finish of 5th to be looked upon differently to say finishing 5th on 68 points while the team above are on 69 - that would be a failure in my eyes.

I expect us to make it out of the Europa League and make a fist of it in the knockout rounds. As an expectation we should really be getting to the last 16 at least. Obviously dependent on how we are going in the league it may be that the Europa is prioritsed lower that stage to ensure a top four finish.

I expect us to play fringe teams in the cups, but should we make it nearer to the end stages I would hope more first team players are included and we try and break our trophy duck since 2012.

Tl;dr
I expect 68-70 points / solid style of play throughout the season / last 16 of the Europa / better start than last season.

Those expectations are definitely there to be exceeded though.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2015, 02:57:16 pm »

My favourite aspect of last summer was the usual suspects pissing their pants about us possibly signing Bertrand over Moreno. Then when we signed Moreno, the know-alls slapping each others backs about how it was one of the signings of the summer and then watching Bertrand go onto have one of the seasons of his life while Moreno started well and faded very quickly (although has time to improve).

I bet you £100 we don't finish 7th or lower.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline PrideofBelfast

• Main Stander
« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2015, 03:36:14 pm »
Ok with the money powerhouses looking to spend more daft sums of money you would reckon we would be behind Chelsea, Man City and Manure. So 4th spot has to be a reasonable target and on that I predict a good charge for that battling with Arsenal and Spurs for that spot.

Cup success is more difficult to predict as often luck, upsets ets involved but I would predict a good cup run in either of the domestic cups.

I would really like a good go at the EL. Can we beat the likes of Sevilla to it. Very tough but we are Liverpool and no team/cup should be out of our reach.

So 4th spot, Win in a domestic cup and a good show in the EL.

Rogers seems to be getting good solid free transfers at the minute hopefully with the view to saving money for some big hitters up front.
A big name scoring 20+ would just make my day.
In Brendan we trust!

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2015, 05:16:12 pm »
Chelsea are cemented in the top four.

City are regressing due to their squad getting stale and past their peak, but they will throw a lot of money at it and you would expect them to retain a top four place.

United are only going to get better if there is any evidence in the fact that Aloysius Paulus Maria "Louis" van Gaal tends to start poorly. They are also at the point where they can spend as much if not more than the two aforementioned. I expect them to finish top four again.

Arsenal haven't dropped out of the top four in donkeys. They are also in a great place at the moment having just won the second FA cup on the bounce. They are at the stage where they are only needing to add one or two quality additions each summer and Arsene has started to flex a bit in recent times with Ozil and Sanchez. They could challenge for the big one if they have a bit of bollocks about them next season.

Spurs are on the back of a season with a new manager, and it's been pretty average (despite them finishing ahead of us). I don't think they have enough about them to challenge the top four for now. They rely on a 21 year old striker who since his England debut has been poor, it will be interesting to see if he starts the season well as they will have something we currently don't; a striker who can score goals.

I don't see us breaking the top four unless one of the teams I have mentioned has a horrible summer in terms of trying to bring the right players in, and we have the polar opposite (both of which I can't see, but football always surprises.

We are in Europe this year also, which tends to affect performances in the league negatively and have a manager who is still inexperienced in managing a squad through a continental competition.

It's very early to predict anything now as the transfer window hasn't even opened, however if we take into account our targets vs our competitors targets and create a trend, it doesn't look great in my opinion.

I think 5th or 6th is realistic, and probably where we will end up.

In terms of cups, I can't see such a drastic improvement in Europe unless Rodgers prioritises it (would be mental to as I reckon his job hangs on finishing top 4). We got to the semi-final of both domestic cups this year, which is a decent achievement. I have a feeling that we were somewhat dragged by the departing captain that far in both competitions, so replacing that desire will be difficult. We would do well to reach a final, but do we have the character to win anything (judging by the limpness of the Villa semi-final you would say no).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:20:02 pm by Adam_LFC »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2015, 06:10:31 pm »
My favourite aspect of last summer was the usual suspects pissing their pants about us possibly signing Bertrand over Moreno. Then when we signed Moreno, the know-alls slapping each others backs about how it was one of the signings of the summer and then watching Bertrand go onto have one of the seasons of his life while Moreno started well and faded very quickly (although has time to improve).

I bet you £100 we don't finish 7th or lower.

Stick Bertrand in our team and I doubt he of had the season he had at Southampton. Perhaps if we'd had Schneiderlin and Wanyama patrolling our midfield Moreno wouldn't of faded either.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:12:10 pm by Solomon Grundy »

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: June 11, 2015, 06:32:24 pm »
It is early still but I don't think we're need brentie's crystal ball to see where we are heading.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #152 on: June 11, 2015, 06:34:27 pm »
I don't think the article [Rory Smith's breafast eulogy] no matter how well written - confirms anything? It's an opinion piece, and quite articulate, but an opinion piece all the same.

But it does encapsulate the way many people are thinking on here and manages to express it without the bile that often accompanies it, so that's helpful :)

Fwiw I personally don't think the swings have been towards new and different fads. I will agree however that I've been disappointed that they haven't stuck to their guns more and imposed the plans that they were working towards. It does feel a little like they put their trust in the wrong people sometimes (any British is Best or Premiership Proven strategy feels so far off their plans it's ridiculous) but I actually think that's because of all the bile that's thrown their way - e.g. "don't get a DoF just do it the old school British way" or "unless the manager has ultimate responsibility we're just being trendy dipshits" - which causes them to second guess things.

And tbf a lot of people's complaints are that they have a strategy at all - other than the school of Harry Redknapp which is "just give the gaffa more than the club can afford and live and die by his success". As FSG have rightfully noted though - in more cases than not - that Harry Redknapp death is catastrophic, and seems so backward, that there must be a better way!

I think they're close to finding the right formula - under their watch we've brought in Suarez and Coutinho for relative peanuts - who will both be top top players for the rest of the decade - so they do something right, they just need to figure out what the magic in that formula is and focus as much on that as possible.

Well said Kcbw.

As it is I'd turn the whole fucking thing on it's head.

If we'd not entirely fucked up the forward outlet aspect last season after losing Suarez and Sturridge does anybody think we'd not have been actually challenging for the top spot?

I have never in all my time as a Red seen so many people - including all the journos - get the core issue so wrong when assessing a Liverpool season or, more specifically, a Liverpool situation.

There is one pivotal reason and one reason alone why we fell short last season and that was because - as myself and Red Mongoose have repeatedly said seemingly to an array of deaf fucking ears - we went for an entire season without a real forward outlet.

Not one game. Not a run of games. Not half a season. But an entire fucking season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How in god's name can any judgement of any sort retain even an ounce of credibility when viewed in such context?!?

And yet every deluded fucker seems to be trying to make such judgements, including smart arse journos like Rory who believe they have unearthed the Dead Sea Breakfast scrolls.

The fact is had Chelsea, City or Arsenal or indeed Man U attempted to do the same as us devoid of a bona fide attacking outlet then like us they too would have struggled to make the top four.

It does not mean that other mistakes were not made. Not least by the manager. It just means that the essence of why our season was such a frustrating failure has fuck all to do with convoluting hypotheses such John Henry and Co's penchant for varying their breakfast menus but everything to do with the fact that the structure which they implemented failed so lamentably to ensure the team on the pitch had the armoury to succeed and thus the one thing every football team requires for that success - namely balance.

And in our particular case that imbalance was due to the ridiculous failure to bring in an attacking outlet/outlets that would have provided it.

And so to the coming season.

As I look at the signings that have already arrived along with Origi and the prospect of a full season Ibe I breathe a huge sigh of relief as they represent exactly the sort of playing strength in exactly the right sort of places in which we were last season crying out for it. There may not be a - god do I despise the term - marquee signing amongst them but by god the four of them represent exactly at this moment the sort of solid and balanced additions we so desperately need.

A further few signings of corresponding solidity and balance plus perhaps a marquee to placate the nouveaus and a top four challenge is a given.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: June 11, 2015, 06:40:34 pm »
Funny reading this thread how pessimistic everyone is, and yet come October when we're out of the title race I bet everyone will be having a go at us with all the 'this is our year' shite.

Personally I'm not particularly optimistic but at the same time it can't be any worse than this season, it really really can't. Baring in mind United aren't anything special whatsoever, Manchester City were shite and arsenal are arsenal I don't think the mood should be quite so bad. We've seen how rodgers can get us playing and even last year we had an extended spell of genuinely brilliant form. I would be surprised if we don't put in a better challenge for top four this time round.

I'm going to go with the following:

League- 3rd
Uefa Cup- last sixteen
FA Cup- final
League Cup- 3rd round

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #154 on: June 11, 2015, 06:44:35 pm »
Funny reading this thread how pessimistic everyone is, and yet come October when we're out of the title race I bet everyone will be having a go at us with all the 'this is our year' shite.

Personally I'm not particularly optimistic but at the same time it can't be any worse than this season, it really really can't. Baring in mind United aren't anything special whatsoever, Manchester City were shite and arsenal are arsenal I don't think the mood should be quite so bad. We've seen how rodgers can get us playing and even last year we had an extended spell of genuinely brilliant form. I would be surprised if we don't put in a better challenge for top four this time round.

I'm going to go with the following:

League- 3rd
Uefa Cup- last sixteen
FA Cup- final
League Cup- 3rd round

Hmmph

;D

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2015, 07:04:18 pm »
Most optimistically - 1st
Most realistically - 4th/5th
Most pessimistically - 8th

Can't be arsed with the cups.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: June 11, 2015, 07:09:51 pm »
Well said Kcbw.

As it is I'd turn the whole fucking thing on it's head.

If we'd not entirely fucked up the forward outlet aspect last season after losing Suarez and Sturridge does anybody think we'd not have been actually challenging for the top spot?

I have never in all my time as a Red seen so many people - including all the journos - get the core issue so wrong when assessing a Liverpool season or, more specifically, a Liverpool situation.

There is one pivotal reason and one reason alone why we fell short last season and that was because - as myself and Red Mongoose have repeatedly said seemingly to an array of deaf fucking ears - we went for an entire season without a real forward outlet.

Not one game. Not a run of games. Not half a season. But an entire fucking season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How in god's name can any judgement of any sort retain even an ounce of credibility when viewed in such context?!?

And yet every deluded fucker seems to be trying to make such judgements, including smart arse journos like Rory who believe they have unearthed the Dead Sea Breakfast scrolls.

The fact is had Chelsea, City or Arsenal or indeed Man U attempted to do the same as us devoid of a bona fide attacking outlet then like us they too would have struggled to make the top four.

It does not mean that other mistakes were not made. Not least by the manager. It just means that the essence of why our season was such a frustrating failure has fuck all to do with convoluting hypotheses such John Henry and Co's penchant for varying their breakfast menus but everything to do with the fact that the structure which they implemented failed so lamentably to ensure the team on the pitch had the armoury to succeed and thus the one thing every football team requires for that success - namely balance.

And in our particular case that imbalance was due to the ridiculous failure to bring in an attacking outlet/outlets that would have provided it.

And so to the coming season.

As I look at the signings that have already arrived along with Origi and the prospect of a full season Ibe I breathe a huge sigh of relief as they represent exactly the sort of playing strength in exactly the right sort of places in which we were last season crying out for it. There may not be a - god do I despise the term - marquee signing amongst them but by god the four of them represent exactly at this moment the sort of solid and balanced additions we so desperately need.

A further few signings of corresponding solidity and balance plus perhaps a marquee to placate the nouveaus and a top four challenge is a given.

I can't agree with all of this.

Yes we failed to replace Suarez and that was unforgivable in my opinion.

However, we had forward players who have proven goal records, every single one of them had their worst goal return of their careers. They will not have a worse one either.

Defensively we were terrible, no excuse can be made for some of the goals we were conceding.

You mention Chelsea and Arsenal as sides that would have failed to make top four without a forward outlet, they would have made top four because they would have worked with what they had to ensure they made it.

I also think your expecting quite a bit if you expect two young kids to come in and sort out these problems.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: June 11, 2015, 07:18:28 pm »
I can't agree with all of this.

Yes we failed to replace Suarez and that was unforgivable in my opinion.

However, we had forward players who have proven goal records, every single one of them had their worst goal return of their careers. They will not have a worse one either.

They had low goal returns because of our poor striking options. Good strikers create space and chances for others to score. We're too easy to defend against without one.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: June 11, 2015, 07:47:27 pm »
They had low goal returns because of our poor striking options. Good strikers create space and chances for others to score. We're too easy to defend against without one.

Put balls into the box and Lambert scores more. Put trust in a forward player and he scores more. I don't think they were good signings or what we needed but we didn't make best use of them, that's my point.

We will be having the same conversation if Benteke is our forward next season unless we play to his strengths rather than expecting him to adapt to us.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #159 on: June 11, 2015, 08:36:32 pm »

Absolutely.

Other than Sterlings mid-season purple patch when he was deployed as centre forward and seemed to get the hang of it, against most teams their defences dealt with our otherwise immobile attack with such contemptuous ease it was sickening.

And yet almost every team we played boasted mobile attackers of one sort or another that caused our defence huge problems to contain them. I think of Puncheon running at us in that final Anfield game and wince.