Author Topic: Liverpool sign James Milner  (Read 149113 times)

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool sign James Milner
« Reply #1120 on: July 22, 2015, 08:50:21 am »
It's easy to understand the budding positivity, but it's utterly meaningless against opposition of this standard, driven as they were. The test will come, when in the first game of the season, he's up against a reasonably competitive team, with some quality, having just received a short pass from the goalie or defender, back to goal: 2 touches to control and shift the ball or they're in on goal, under an oncoming press, with his easy options cut out by the opponents.

That's where you live or die as a centre mid in a team who want to dominate the ball. From my limited viewing of him, he doesn't have that touch quality, neither does Hendo. If we play in a different manner, go longer more often and aim to win the second ball, these 2 will do just fine. Him failing / succeeding depends to an extent on him, but it also depends on us providing a useful platform.

Offline RedEire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1121 on: July 22, 2015, 09:18:56 am »
It's easy to understand the budding positivity, but it's utterly meaningless against opposition of this standard, driven as they were. The test will come, when in the first game of the season, he's up against a reasonably competitive team, with some quality, having just received a short pass from the goalie or defender, back to goal: 2 touches to control and shift the ball or they're in on goal, under an oncoming press, with his easy options cut out by the opponents.

That's where you live or die as a centre mid in a team who want to dominate the ball. From my limited viewing of him, he doesn't have that touch quality, neither does Hendo. If we play in a different manner, go longer more often and aim to win the second ball, these 2 will do just fine. Him failing / succeeding depends to an extent on him, but it also depends on us providing a useful platform.
i think we will see it mixed up a bit more this season mate, especially with benteke coming in. But I can see can playing behind him and Henderson and him being the one to receive the ball the majority of the time from the defenders and keeper, I think this is where can will shine, I think Milner and Henderson together will be brilliant once given time to settle together. 
Having Welbeck try and mark Pirlo is ridiculous. It's like trying to get a golden retriever to stop a tennis ball machine.Because one is a machine designed for a very specific purpose that it is peerless at, and the other is a fucking dog.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1122 on: July 23, 2015, 04:33:20 am »
We have options to play a number of different midfield combinations, but I think if all are fit then we'll probably utilise the diamond with Coutinho behind the 2 strikers, and Milner and Hendo giving us the engine in midfield while either Lucas or Can protects the back 4. I think Allen will become largely irrelevant and the interesting point will be to see how we utilise Ibe, Markovic, Lallana and Firmino.

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1123 on: July 23, 2015, 09:27:27 am »
We have options to play a number of different midfield combinations, but I think if all are fit then we'll probably utilise the diamond with Coutinho behind the 2 strikers, and Milner and Hendo giving us the engine in midfield while either Lucas or Can protects the back 4. I think Allen will become largely irrelevant and the interesting point will be to see how we utilise Ibe, Markovic, Lallana and Firmino.

We'll get slaughtered in Europe with a midfield of Milner and Henderson. Running around in the EPL might work, but against technical passing opposition they'll be badly exposed.

Offline RedGlen

• Main Stander
« Reply #1124 on: July 23, 2015, 09:37:09 am »
I wonder if we might play Coutinho as part of the midfield three if Sturridge comes back, and Firmino as part of the attacking three either in a diamond or wide attacking 4-3-3 - so Benteke - Firmino - Sturridge for attack, and Henderson - Milner - Coutinho as midfield, with the option to put in Allen or Can in any of those slots, and Lucas in Milners position - the beauty of these pairings is that any of the midfield and attacking three (with exception to Lucas and Benteke) can switch positions and cover each others positions and still be deadly from there. Equally you can also change it up by replacing Firmino with Coutinho, Benteke with Ings, and we would play roughly the same way. If Sturridge is out (so start of season definitely) we can use both Firmino and Coutinho as part of the attacking trio, and potentially play a midfield of Henderson, Milner and Can, which would be one of the more impressive midfield a we've fielded over the past 3 years - pace, power, athleticism, and we know all of those three can play a bit as well.

I'm looking forwards to seeing how this season turns out- we thought we had a squad with depth last season, but we seem to have upgraded the quality somehqat this season, so this is, in my opinion, the strongest squad we've had in years, even if we are lacking the world class players of previous squads.
01010011 01100001 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000001 01101100 01100010 01100001 00100001 00100000

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #1125 on: July 23, 2015, 10:45:21 am »
We'll get slaughtered in Europe with a midfield of Milner and Henderson. Running around in the EPL might work, but against technical passing opposition they'll be badly exposed.

Then we switch one of them with Lucas (statistic supported to be one of the best game reader in DM position across all competition in Europe), and keep the other to provide energy. And finally depends on the opponent to decide who to put in their as our last player in the midfield.
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline heylookitsjacob

• 's Cream Crackers
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1126 on: July 23, 2015, 04:29:37 pm »

We got slaughtered last time we were in europe with a midfield that did not do a lot of "running around," so I'm not sure what you are advocating for, other than being against a milner/henderson midfield which you haven't seen in a competitive game.

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1127 on: July 23, 2015, 08:00:28 pm »
We got slaughtered last time we were in europe with a midfield that did not do a lot of "running around," so I'm not sure what you are advocating for, other than being against a milner/henderson midfield which you haven't seen in a competitive game.

A midfield of Can Lucas and Allen, 3 technical players that aren't afraid of the ball, didn't do too bad away at RM. I really think starting both Henderson and Milner in CM will be a terrible idea.

Offline heylookitsjacob

• 's Cream Crackers
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1128 on: July 23, 2015, 08:46:14 pm »
A midfield of Can Lucas and Allen, 3 technical players that aren't afraid of the ball, didn't do too bad away at RM. I really think starting both Henderson and Milner in CM will be a terrible idea.

The idea that Milner is afraid of the ball is quite ludicrous in my opinion. I think we are just too far away in terms of perception to get anything valuable out of this discussion. You think we would do even worse than we did last year in europe if we played milner and henderson together. Oh well. Good talk.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #1129 on: July 23, 2015, 09:15:40 pm »
The idea that Milner is afraid of the ball is quite ludicrous in my opinion. I think we are just too far away in terms of perception to get anything valuable out of this discussion. You think we would do even worse than we did last year in europe if we played milner and henderson together. Oh well. Good talk.
Pretty much  ;D

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1130 on: July 24, 2015, 12:10:28 am »

Watching him in preseason, he definitely shows himself for the ball, but... his touch certainly isn't from the top drawer. He makes up for it in guile and street smarts, and he will do very well for us, but I don't think he's a possession player.

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1131 on: July 24, 2015, 01:19:25 am »
Milner was a quality player that we have been linked with many times in the past. Our mistake was not getting him then.

It reminds me very much of the Gary Mc deal. Although this time we have - hopefully a longer period to enjoy the footballing brain of a
fantastic footballer.

This has to be our best window for many a year.

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #1132 on: July 30, 2015, 04:26:11 pm »
Watching the pre-season games, I kept thinking Kenny Dalglish was playing, Milner shapes up just like him in that No.7 shirt.

Victorious and glorious....

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1133 on: July 30, 2015, 04:48:35 pm »
Watching the pre-season games, I kept thinking Kenny Dalglish was playing, Milner shapes up just like him in that No.7 shirt.

Do you mean Kenny now or back when he was playing ?

Milner is a good player but steady on mate.

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1134 on: July 30, 2015, 05:08:17 pm »

Steady on son.

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1135 on: July 30, 2015, 05:09:09 pm »

ha ha thought exactly that you beat me to it!

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #1136 on: July 30, 2015, 10:48:51 pm »

No, I meant he looked like him, not played like him!  lol
Victorious and glorious....

Offline TheSoundLady

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1137 on: August 2, 2015, 02:50:15 am »
Could end up being our signing of the season, or even our best signing since Suarez, and definitely our best value for money in a long time. Looks an instant hit, excellent defensively, absolutely brilliant going forward. Already one of my favourite players, hoping he can justify that in the Premier League, after all I'm basing this on a few pre-season games.

Firmino, Benteke, Gomez, Milner all look like inspired signings to me, but Milner might just end up being the most important one of all. Wildly underrated player who will make and score goals as well as helping to run the show in the middle.

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #1138 on: August 2, 2015, 02:55:28 am »
fucking fantastic.  Been one of our better players. 

I
dios esta buena

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1139 on: August 2, 2015, 03:49:58 am »
Sounds like he fits like a glove. missed every preseason game so far :(

Hope it can continue, and we don't turn him into England's (or Hodgson's) version of James Milner.

Is he essentially breaking forward at will? Been catching up with the goals and he seems to be right amongst it for most of them, in a way that I assumed we'd have Henderson doing it instead. Is Henderson sitting back more to cover Milner, or maybe moving out wide a little?

Offline TheSoundLady

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1140 on: August 2, 2015, 03:59:34 am »
Sounds like he fits like a glove. missed every preseason game so far :(

Hope it can continue, and we don't turn him into England's (or Hodgson's) version of James Milner.

Is he essentially breaking forward at will? Been catching up with the goals and he seems to be right amongst it for most of them, in a way that I assumed we'd have Henderson doing it instead. Is Henderson sitting back more to cover Milner, or maybe moving out wide a little?

It's weird.

Milner more often seems to be the holding player, and yet when one of them pops up in and around the box, it seems to be Milner more than it is Henderson. Perhaps someone cloned him.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1141 on: August 2, 2015, 04:00:17 am »
It's weird.

Milner more often seems to be the holding player, and yet when one of them pops up in and around the box, it seems to be Milner more than it is Henderson. Perhaps someone cloned him.

He's a shapeshifter, he can shift all sorts of shapes

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1142 on: August 7, 2015, 02:19:59 pm »
Confirmed as our new vice-captain!

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #1143 on: August 7, 2015, 02:22:49 pm »

Very good move imo, he'll thrive with the extra responsibility. He's going to be excellent for us.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1144 on: August 7, 2015, 02:23:03 pm »
Official?

I'm surprised and not surprised at all if that makes sense  ;D

I think he'll make a good VC.  I guess we just expected it to go to one of the longer serving players.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1145 on: August 7, 2015, 02:28:53 pm »
Official?

I'm surprised and not surprised at all if that makes sense  ;D

I think he'll make a good VC.  I guess we just expected it to go to one of the longer serving players.

Yeah, Rodgers said it at the Press conference

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1146 on: August 7, 2015, 02:29:46 pm »
Rodgers: "James is someone I'd admired for a long time.  He gives everything. He's always in here two & a half hours before we train."

Haha, Batman never sleeps!

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1147 on: August 7, 2015, 02:32:37 pm »

Won leagues, hopefully he continues that trend here.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1148 on: August 7, 2015, 02:33:04 pm »
Possibly our most important signing this summer.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Semaphore

• Kopite
« Reply #1149 on: August 7, 2015, 02:36:28 pm »
Interesting how much Rodgers is clearly impressed with Milner. Turning up 2 and a half hours early for training every day to 'prepare his supplements and get everything in order'. It's great really. It means the manager can tell people like Ibe and Can to look at him and learn from it. Sometimes it only takes one person (good or bad) to completely affect a work culture. Seems James Milner is doing that.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1150 on: August 7, 2015, 02:37:28 pm »
should've been given to someone who's been a longer servant imo, but he's an experienced winner so I'm not fussed really.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1151 on: August 7, 2015, 02:38:28 pm »
should've been given to someone who's been a longer servant imo, but he's an experienced winner so I'm not fussed really.

The only other one really would be Skrtel, although I would give it to Lucas if I knew he was going to be playing every game, which I don't think he is.

Milner is a good choice though.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1152 on: August 7, 2015, 02:41:35 pm »
Rodgers: "James is someone I'd admired for a long time.  He gives everything. He's always in here two & a half hours before we train."
Would it have killed him to round that up to three hours? 

Congrats Big Jimmy Milner!  :D
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1153 on: August 7, 2015, 02:42:34 pm »
Possibly our most important signing this summer.

Quite possibly.  No one will ever replace Gerrard but this squad, especially the youngsters, need someone to look up to.  Someone whos been there, done it etc etc.  And who didnt get it by fluke, but has worked for it, grafted for it, put in the hours.

The fact that he's still doing it after winning trophies is a real thing to look up to and give you motivation.

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1154 on: August 7, 2015, 02:42:49 pm »

Mate, good troll :) .

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1155 on: August 7, 2015, 02:51:09 pm »
Decent choice for vice captain. Can't really feel the same about Henderson for captaincy.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1156 on: August 7, 2015, 03:07:50 pm »
Decent choice for vice captain. Can't really feel the same about Henderson for captaincy.

I would have liked Lucas myself. Picking a guy who has done nothing in a red shirt over someone who has tremendous respect in the dressing room isn't a good move in my opinion.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1157 on: August 7, 2015, 03:08:17 pm »
I would have liked Lucas myself. Picking a guy who has done nothing in a red shirt over someone who has tremendous respect in the dressing room isn't a good move in my opinion.

Is Lucas a guaranteed starter?

Offline benn25

• Finger licker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1158 on: August 7, 2015, 03:09:47 pm »
Big decision this. Just turned up and all. Must of made a massive impression on BR.

Skittles as vice for me.

But Im sure he'll do a decent job.
We just leave them be for a while, take a breather, let them settle, then bang!  All over them like a tramp on chips.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1159 on: August 7, 2015, 03:11:36 pm »
Is Lucas a guaranteed starter?

Probably not as Rodgers will have to pick his captain & vice-captain. Perhaps he'll be called to the rescue again if things go pear shaped?