Author Topic: Squad Numbers  (Read 34727 times)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: Squad Numbers
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2013, 02:04:33 pm »
Glenn Johnson's doing a maths degree. Maybe he should wear on his kit. Or even √2 to really mess with people's heads.

Frank Lampard often has pie on his shirt...

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2013, 03:22:25 pm »
Alberto taking number 6 apparently. Girlfriend tweeted this pic:

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2013, 04:44:12 pm »
Alberto taking number 6 apparently. Girlfriend tweeted this pic:

i might be wrong but that looks more like the old style PL lettering (aka pre 2007) therefore almost certainly not real

Offline Dirk18Kuyt

• Kopite
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2013, 05:59:57 pm »
That's what I thought, looks like old style lettering and fake but don't know how they've put it together, it's the current kit...

Offline jimmyjr86

• Legacy Fan
  • Up on a hill, here's where we begin...
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2013, 06:18:13 pm »
I think his girlfriends brother made it, tweeted it amd she re-tweeted. Definitely looks like his number even though its obviously not an actual picture of how it looks...

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2013, 06:30:10 pm »
Nitpicking I know but I hate it when attacking players take any numbers under 7.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline Earl of Dingleberry

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2013, 08:24:39 pm »
Having a number under 14 has a lesser-known privilege: parking in Melwood the 1–13 parking places are not visible from the gate of the training ground for any observers with nefarious intents.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2013, 02:05:42 pm »
If you try to pre-order the away kit on the official site, you can see that Toure is No.4 and Alberto is No.6.

Offline Joseph-Immanuel Queen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2013, 02:18:04 pm »
If you try to pre-order the away kit on the official site, you can see that Toure is No.4 and Alberto is No.6.

Came in to post the same thing!

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2013, 02:23:44 pm »

Seems weird. So used to no.6 being a CB shirt and no.4 being a DM shirt. :P

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2013, 02:29:59 pm »
Xavi is 6. That is good enough for me.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2013, 02:50:21 pm »
Seems weird. So used to no.6 being a CB shirt and no.4 being a DM shirt. :P

Hyypia was number 4 for us. Was hoping our new first choice centre-back would get that number rather than Kolo, but nevermind.

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2013, 02:55:08 pm »
Hyypia was number 4 for us. Was hoping our new first choice centre-back would get that number rather than Kolo, but nevermind.

He's obviously going to be first choice, what with him being on 500k p/w...

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2013, 03:14:39 pm »
... our new first choice centre-back would get that number...

It´s pretty astonishing how this myth (of signing two center backs/one "first choice" center back) has become some sort of a fact for a lot of supporters based on pretty much nothing.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2013, 03:36:32 pm »
Interesting that we have all 1-11 numbers filled up now, even with Mkhitaryan still a major target... If he is our big marquee signing of the summer, you'd think they would give him one of the first eleven numbers. Maybe he takes #11 if Assaidi leaves?

Offline Coutinholycow

• King Midas. If he pays £50m for a single tomato, that tomato is worth £50m.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2013, 04:55:33 pm »
Interesting that we have all 1-11 numbers filled up now, even with Mkhitaryan still a major target... If he is our big marquee signing of the summer, you'd think they would give him one of the first eleven numbers. Maybe he takes #11 if Assaidi leaves?

Wears #18 for national team.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2013, 05:28:45 pm »
It´s pretty astonishing how this myth (of signing two center backs/one "first choice" center back) has become some sort of a fact for a lot of supporters based on pretty much nothing.

It's not that astonishing. It's fairly obvious we should be in for two centre-backs this summer with Carra retiring and both Skrtel and Coates out-of-favour. Kolo replaces Carra, but is getting on a bit so will probably provide experienced cover. Therefore it's not beyond the realms of possibility (especially given our rumoured transfer targets) that we're looking for a top-class centre-back who can slot straight into the side.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2013, 06:35:09 pm »

It's not a myth. He was quoted in mid-June saying we needed one or two centre-backs, and this was after the Toure deal had been announced.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10114349/Liverpool-manager-Brendan-Rodgers-eyes-top-four-finish.html

Offline Kali Yuga

• Anny Roader
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2013, 09:12:38 am »
I really wish the players would just do what makes me happy when it comes to picking squad numbers. Is that too much to ask?  :(
You can cage an animal, but you'll never take away the rage.

Offline MC14

• I apologise for my terrible hair, clothes and glasses
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2013, 10:15:08 am »
Alberto has to be no.6. His friend on Twitter @javenegas61 has a new home kit Luis Alberto No 6 shirt as his profile picture.

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2013, 01:55:05 pm »
..and both Skrtel and Coates out-of-favour.

There isn´t ONE quote of Rodgers stating this. Not one.

In contrast, Rodgers never has been shy when stating his honest opinion on players to leave.

So to me, it´s a myth, still. Toure replacing Carra and offering and option for playing holding midfield as well so that´s hardly anything near the overhaul for the center back position a lot of supporters were advocating around here.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 01:57:18 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2013, 01:57:03 pm »
There isn´t ONE quote of Rodgers stating this. Not one.

He just didn't play either of them for half a season and opted for Carragher instead..

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2013, 01:57:52 pm »
He just didn't play either of them for half a season and opted for Carragher instead..

What will you make of this if we won´t sign another CB?

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2013, 02:02:20 pm »
What will you make of this if we won´t sign another CB?

To be honest, it probably means that we couldn't get the players we targetted for CB.

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2013, 02:08:48 pm »
To be honest, it probably means that we couldn't get the players we targetted for CB.

So why should the manager advocating a massive overhaul when there aren´t too many top CBs around for a decent price anyway? Selling Skrtel without signing a top international CB at the same time would be madness and don´t think Rodgers thinking towards this option for one minute.

We´ll see, maybe there is some hidden plan from the manager we will find out pretty soon.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2013, 02:13:07 pm »
So why should the manager advocating a massive overhaul when there aren´t too many top CBs around for a decent price anyway? Selling Skrtel without signing a top international CB at the same time would be madness and don´t think Rodgers thinking towards this option for one minute.

We´ll see, maybe there is some hidden plan from the manager we will find out pretty soon.

It's not really a "massive overhaul", it's essentially replacing one first team CB who wasn't player with another who the manager will utilise. Coates never really played so we're not losing anything there. I don't know whether Rodgers is advocating any "massive overhaul" or not, all I know is that the manager didn't trust Skrtel and Coates enough to play over Carragher for half a season. You make of that what you will.

As far as I can see, Skrtel is still our player and we won't sell him (if we do sell him) until we get a replacement in. If we don't, he stays. It's pretty transparent.

Since this is the squad numbers thread, I'd say that if Mkhitaryan comes, he'll get number 11.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: July 1, 2013, 09:36:00 am »

Offline redan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #107 on: July 1, 2013, 09:36:04 am »
I know we knew already but Alberto has been confirmed as number 6

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/138216-luis-alberto-gets-squad-number

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oooooh Campione, the one and only
« Reply #108 on: July 1, 2013, 09:38:43 am »
Judging by squad number, he's gonna get some time on the field

Offline ryan125

• Kopite
« Reply #109 on: July 1, 2013, 09:52:54 am »
Seems to me that Rogers is very keen to get players in who understand how to keep the ball. I personally think we are going to see a different style of play than what we saw in the second half of last season when we became far more direct. All these attacking mids we are linked with make me think he is going to try to replicate Spain's national team a bit. I don't think he could really focus on the 'death by football' with the players we had, so its not that surprising that we are trying to overhaul the squad a bit. I think I'm looking forward to next season more than I have for a few seasons.  8)

Offline LFC Boy

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #110 on: July 1, 2013, 10:06:54 am »
Assaidi's 11 begs to differ..

Offline redan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #111 on: July 1, 2013, 10:22:30 am »
Assaidi's 11 begs to differ..

Correct,. I mentioned this earlier in the thread, having a 1-11 squad number means sod all in terms of time on the pitch

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #112 on: July 1, 2013, 12:23:34 pm »

Like Jones and Assaidi?

Hope he does though, the lad looks very exciting.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline LucasLeiva

• Anny Roader
  • Remember My Name
« Reply #113 on: July 1, 2013, 01:13:02 pm »
Xavi is 6. That is good enough for me.

This. And Iniesta wears it for Spain.

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oooooh Campione, the one and only
« Reply #114 on: July 1, 2013, 04:13:52 pm »
Like Jones and Assaidi?

Hope he does though, the lad looks very exciting.

relax guys, was just throwing it out there, but it wouldnt hurt to try him yes.

Offline redan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2015, 03:21:40 pm »
It's just an observation and I know squad numbers nowadays mean fuck all but last night when the teams were read out I realised the only players we had playing in the traditional 1-11 was Gerrard and Coutinho and we know that Gerrard is saying his goodbyes in a few months!

When Stevie leaves the 8 will almost be as iconic as the 7 and both will be up for grabs along with 5 and 11 for definite and I'd argue a fair few of the others,

I remember at the start of the 96/97 season when Fowler, McManaman and Redknapp took the 9, 7 and 11 respectively and as silly as it sounds it felt like the start of a new era and we may have similar this summer,

Not really the time to talk about such things but it was fresh in my mind after realising last night

Offline kb2x

• Kopite
  • The Mystery Continues....
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2015, 03:25:05 pm »
Hendo will take 8 - Mark those words.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2015, 03:47:28 pm »
I think leaving 8 vacant for a little while would be good and might be the club's plan, anyone given it in the summer would have an unhelpful "Gerrard's successor/replacement" narrative fostered on them in the media. We didn't give Sterling the pressure of wearing 7 when Suarez left (I think he should be given it either in the summer or the day he signs his new contract though) and 23 was vacant for 12 months after Carragher's retirement too.

Johnson, Jones and Toure all have contracts expiring in the summer which would open up 1, 2 and 4 as well. 12 is free, and Jose Enrique can't cling on to 3 forever either.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2015, 03:55:35 pm »
Hendo will take 8 - Mark those words.

Why? Let him build his own legacy as Liverpool captain, rather than adding another pressure of replacing Gerrard
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2015, 04:37:15 pm »
It's just an observation and I know squad numbers nowadays mean fuck all but last night when the teams were read out I realised the only players we had playing in the traditional 1-11 was Gerrard and Coutinho and we know that Gerrard is saying his goodbyes in a few months!

When Stevie leaves the 8 will almost be as iconic as the 7 and both will be up for grabs along with 5 and 11 for definite and I'd argue a fair few of the others,

I remember at the start of the 96/97 season when Fowler, McManaman and Redknapp took the 9, 7 and 11 respectively and as silly as it sounds it felt like the start of a new era and we may have similar this summer,

Not really the time to talk about such things but it was fresh in my mind after realising last night

Fowler, Macca and Redknapp never really looked as good after that, though, although I'm sure it's coincidence.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA