Author Topic: Xabi Alonso  (Read 332867 times)

Offline AlanK

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Xabi Alonso - new interview
« Reply #80 on: September 1, 2009, 08:48:42 pm »
Ha ha!! bloody hell.

So who was it that was willing to pay MORE for Barry than we were selling Xabi for?

That's irrelevant. If money was no object, then I'm sure Rafa would've loved to have kept Alonso and brought in Barry. The fact that we're operating on a paupers budget means we have to sell before we buy

Offline PassAndMove

• Whinge and Moan
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #81 on: September 1, 2009, 08:49:08 pm »
How so...why do people forget the fact alonso was below par for 2 years. If after 2 years, he is not cutting it consistently maybe it is time to look for a backup/replacement

Lucas hasn't done much for 2 years, but i don't see him getting the same support as xabi?

The threat of losing his place is what woke alonso up ad kicked his game back into action. Why xabi cant realise this, i dont know. Rafa even joked towards the start of last year "maybe i need to start threatening to sell more players"

A broken legged Xabi is better than Lucas mate. The "Xabi was shit for 2 years" fact is a myth. He just wasn't as good as he could have been, indeed during those seasons when he was injured many were crying about the loss of form being due to Xabi being out. You can't have it both ways.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #82 on: September 1, 2009, 08:50:00 pm »
The whole thing was badly played by Rafa, although 30 million isn't to be sniffed at I guess.

Correct.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline PassAndMove

• Whinge and Moan
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #83 on: September 1, 2009, 08:50:26 pm »
That's irrelevant. If money was no object, then I'm sure Rafa would've loved to have kept Alonso and brought in Barry. The fact that we're operating on a paupers budget means we have to sell before we buy

How many clubs would have Mascherano and Alonso, and have Gerrard on their books and have Lucas coming through - still buy £18m Gareth Barry who is worse than 3 already at the club? Are we Man City?

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #84 on: September 1, 2009, 08:51:21 pm »
I hope you're fishing
He called them "our two top pros". Clearly wrong
First of, I'm not fishing. Yes, in my mind they were our top two professionals. I'm not talking about skills, but about professional behavior. For example, Xabi told Rafa and the club months before the transfer window opened that he wants to leave. In this day and age, when players endear a new club if they pay more, and lay their love in front of the fans (e.g. Adebayor), Xabi didn't say a word. There were many pages on RAWK written about that, why he wouldn't come and say that he want to stay (now we know that would have been a lie), or why he didn't say that he wanted to leave (which would have tied Liverpool's hands). Instead he chose to bide his time, giving us every chance to squeeze a few bob from Real. Yes, he got frustrated, but wouldn't you? Yet, he still didn't say much. So I respect him very much for that. I can go on about Sami as well, but that's a different topic. And no, I don't think that Gerrard is our most professional player (well, now he may be, I may need to rethink that, but not with Sami and Xabi in the team). This is an opinion, and if you don't agree with it, I'm sorry, but I won't lose any sleep over that. I think we will both agree that Xabi is a pro, and deserves respect for that.

Secondly, I'm not trying to say that we are better or worse without Xabi. We are simply taking a different route. As BazC and other have pointed out, Xabi has his deficiencies, and perhaps Aquilani will drive us forward even better. While Xabi's play directed the team's performance, there were elements missing, which may be the key ingredient to success. I think we need a creative player (we've been missing one for years), and if what they say about Aquilani is half-true, he may be the one. We won't know until he's tested in the PL, because even proven top players (e.g., Morientes) may not make the grade. It's way to early to say.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline liverbird_soph

• Fitter than Megan Fox and Angelina Jolie
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: September 1, 2009, 08:51:27 pm »
...Disagree with that. After this summer we learned Rafa didn't want Mascherano to leave under any circumstances.
With Alonso however, Rafa had a price that he'd be willing to accept for him, which is what happened in the end

I don't think it's that simple. Rafa said that Alonso had made it clear he wanted to leave around April time. Perhaps Rafa simply realised that he had no chance persuading Alonso to stay, which is why he listened to offers in the end. Mascherano on the other hand perhaps was nowhere near as insistent that he wanted to leave. I believe Rafa authorised two statements which said he didn't want to sell either player. He wasn't saying he'd listen to offers of a certain amount all summer.
Above all else comes truth & justice.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #86 on: September 1, 2009, 08:53:16 pm »
Can you blame them? The price was £18m.
Blame them or not, Rafa should be allowed to spend his transfer money how HE CHOOSES. Because the board failed to accept that we lost Alonso.
I'm just saying that the board removed Rafa's ability to manage the process ... still we came out on top THIS TIME but where's the 10m profit going ?
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #87 on: September 1, 2009, 08:54:26 pm »
At what he did on the pitch, Alonso was outstanding.  There is no escaping the fact that our performance is somewhat all over the place without him.  Not to say that we can't survive without him, but he is sorely missed at the moment.  And he always seemed to be a decent chap - always did the club proud in the way he carried himself.

Rafa clearly made a mistake with Xabi.  Let's accept that.  To do so would not detract from the fact that Rafa is an outstanding manager and the best man for the job.  I would be surprised if Rafa did not learn something from this episode, he is too intelligent not to.

Now let's move on.

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: September 1, 2009, 08:55:18 pm »
Alonso is a Spanish scouser no doubt.

No doubt Rafa did unsettle the boy with talk of bringing in Barry at his expense. Now he's gone and we are light in midfield.

Blame: Rafa,Real,Fate,Jam butties?....you tell me..

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #89 on: September 1, 2009, 09:00:56 pm »
That is precisely why i have no ill-feeling towards Xabi, don't blame him one bit for wanting to move. Not having at go at Rafa either btw.

ironic that rafa lost xabi and barry although aquilani could end up being better than both of them

we still need another option in centre midfield i would go for someone like mark noble next summer

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #90 on: September 1, 2009, 09:01:48 pm »
Managers live and die by the decisions that they make (and by die i mean it can cost them their job). In a year or maybe 2 we will see if this was the correct decision. If it is, great for the club. If it isn't, the knives will be out for Rafa. Thats the nature of the job.
I can't believe how much the knives are out for him already.
I used to assume that the people on here saying "Rafa out", "Rafa's a twat for ......." were just WUM's but now it seems that over 50% of the posts on here seem to anti Rafa. Don't people realize how much shit the guy is taking every day from the absentee carpet baggers, the press harassing him almost every session, the so-called pundits (Redknapp, Merson, Lawro etc.) constantly question him, assume the worst in every decision etc. I know many don't give much credit to these guys, but it sets a precedence for the rest to follow. No media sources call him "Mr Benitez, or Rafa Benitez" it's always "Benitez this, Benitez wastes money on that etc." I never here Wenger not called "Mr or Arsen", maybe its a respect thing as Rafa hasn't won the league, but then 18 Managers in the EPL have also failed in this respect.

We can question Rafa for decisions he's got incorrect (in our opinion) but he needs our support too. If we continue to snipe at him and each other then he'll go and then, I believe, that the real impact of those two carpet baggers will be felt.

We won't replace him with Mourinho (God help us if we did) and he wouldn't come here under the financial constraints anyway. 
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline PassAndMove

• Whinge and Moan
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #91 on: September 1, 2009, 09:03:55 pm »
ironic that rafa lost xabi and barry although aquilani could end up being better than both of them

Shall we wait until Aquilani kicks a ball?

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: September 1, 2009, 09:04:31 pm »
we still need another option in centre midfield i would go for someone like mark noble next summer

would like that too, and its not as if he's likely to succumb to homesickness/desires to improve abroad like foreign players do
« Last Edit: September 1, 2009, 09:07:04 pm by Laughter is the best medicine... »

Offline AlanK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #93 on: September 1, 2009, 09:10:10 pm »
I don't think it's that simple. Rafa said that Alonso had made it clear he wanted to leave around April time. Perhaps Rafa simply realised that he had no chance persuading Alonso to stay, which is why he listened to offers in the end. Mascherano on the other hand perhaps was nowhere near as insistent that he wanted to leave. I believe Rafa authorised two statements which said he didn't want to sell either player. He wasn't saying he'd listen to offers of a certain amount all summer.

Very possible that, there's nothing to say the way you see it or the way I see it is wrong/right. I am 100% certain though that Rafa said at some stage over the Summer that when the Barca rumour surfaced, that nobody could afford what Rafa felt he was worth. I don't think he was every as categorical about Xabi

Offline AlanK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #94 on: September 1, 2009, 09:15:12 pm »
How many clubs would have Mascherano and Alonso, and have Gerrard on their books and have Lucas coming through - still buy £18m Gareth Barry who is worse than 3 already at the club? Are we Man City?

As somebody has replied to you already, if the manager decides that's what he wants then that's what he should get. Besides which, looking back on the season we had and the fact that the 18million was spent on Keane, (who was then sold for 15m which Rafa never got his hands on), wouldn't we have been far better off if the board had just backed the manager in the first place?

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #95 on: September 1, 2009, 09:20:15 pm »
As much as I love Rafa, people who think he's not part accountable for this situation really need to take the blinkers off. Rafa's boner for Barry played a massive part in Xabi seeking a "change". Coupled with his family situation and Xabi potentially playing the season of his life putting himself in the shop window, and we are one world class player down in what is a crucial year for us.

Of course, he might have arrived at the decision to move even if the Barry fiasco hadn't have occurred, however it did and it turned out to be a pivotal reason for him leaving.

I'm sad, and annoyed slightly, that he didn't give us one more year, but I can completely see where he's coming from.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2009, 09:32:00 pm by GinKop »
JFT97

Offline GinKop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #96 on: September 1, 2009, 09:22:11 pm »
At what he did on the pitch, Alonso was outstanding.  There is no escaping the fact that our performance is somewhat all over the place without him.  Not to say that we can't survive without him, but he is sorely missed at the moment.  And he always seemed to be a decent chap - always did the club proud in the way he carried himself.

Rafa clearly made a mistake with Xabi.  Let's accept that.  To do so would not detract from the fact that Rafa is an outstanding manager and the best man for the job.  I would be surprised if Rafa did not learn something from this episode, he is too intelligent not to.

Now let's move on.

Just seen this after making the post above...sums up exactly how I feel.
JFT97

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #97 on: September 1, 2009, 09:30:52 pm »
GinKop, you're right that refusing to see Rafa's role in Xabi's leaving is a delusion. But you can't yet call it a mistake. Rafa is an expert and a scholar of the game, better than (most of) us (some won't admit it). Perhaps he knew Xabi's limitations well, and wanted to change how the team played in general (not to replace Xabi with Xabi #2). Perhaps Barry in combination with two wing-backs would have worked toward building a more attack-minded team, playing free-flowing football; we'll never know. Degen doe not exist, and we couldn't fly on one wing with Dossena (who most consider a flop). Yes, in the early days of the season we look shattered without Alonso, but we WILL build the team differently, and we WILL play a different game. How can you say that the new face of Liverpool will not be better, before even the team takes shape? The pity is that if Xabi stayed one more year, we wouldn't need to change shape.   

Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Big Joe

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #98 on: September 1, 2009, 09:31:12 pm »
I don't agree with everyone's fond memories of Xabi... He should have been honest about his intentions; instead of leading us fans on, forcing our club's hand, and losing us market value in an ego stroking move to los Galácticos.
 ;)

Offline GinKop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #99 on: September 1, 2009, 09:34:54 pm »
GinKop, you're right that refusing to see Rafa's role in Xabi's leaving is a delusion. But you can't yet call it a mistake. Rafa is an expert and a scholar of the game, better than (most of) us (some won't admit it). Perhaps he knew Xabi's limitations well, and wanted to change how the team played in general (not to replace Xabi with Xabi #2). Perhaps Barry in combination with two wing-backs would have worked toward building a more attack-minded team, playing free-flowing football; we'll never know. Degen doe not exist, and we couldn't fly on one wing with Dossena (who most consider a flop). Yes, in the early days of the season we look shattered without Alonso, but we WILL build the team differently, and we WILL play a different game. How can you say that the new face of Liverpool will not be better, before even the team takes shape? The pity is that if Xabi stayed one more year, we wouldn't need to change shape.   

I just think that after having a season like last year, it's the time for consistency and continuity, not revolution. With Alonso's role in the team integral, changing him involves changing a massive way in which we play.

I'll accept it's impossible to say whether Rafa has made a mistake yet, as like you say, we may be a better side for it. Only time will tell.
JFT97

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #100 on: September 1, 2009, 09:46:09 pm »
As much as I love Rafa, people who think he's not part accountable for this situation really need to take the blinkers off. Rafa's boner for Barry played a massive part in Xabi seeking a "change". Coupled with his family situation and Xabi potentially playing the season of his life putting himself in the shop window, and we are one world class player down in what is a crucial year for us.

Of course, he might have arrived at the decision to move even if the Barry fiasco hadn't have occurred, however it did and it turned out to be a pivotal reason for him leaving.

I'm sad, and annoyed slightly, that he didn't give us one more year, but I can completely see where he's coming from.
the board not letting Rafa get Barry and Keep Alonso  ALSO played a major part
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: September 1, 2009, 09:48:08 pm »
He's gone, he wanted to go to Real Madrid and he's gone. Move on.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #102 on: September 1, 2009, 09:51:00 pm »
Xabi deserved better treatment that summer than he got.

We saw him at this best last season, depressingly it was irrelevant because he was already a gone man.

He's one of those players you can't afford to lose, in my opinion anyway.

Offline GonzalezIsARed

• Most prickless poster ever
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: September 1, 2009, 09:51:32 pm »
Have nothing but respect for Alonso and i understand his decision. I just hope Masch is here for a long time to come.

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: September 1, 2009, 09:55:02 pm »

rafa has done a great job at liverpool but the whole barry situation was a shambles, it`s cost us one of our best players.
not just one of our current best players either, one of the best midfielders i`ve ever seen at the club.
i just hope it hasnt cost us the title, our side from last year would have walked the league this year, to be honest they should have won it last year as well even when united still had ronaldo.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: September 1, 2009, 09:55:59 pm »
rafa has done a great job at liverpool but the whole barry situation was a shambles, it`s cost us one of our best players.
not just one of our current best players either, one of the best midfielders i`ve ever seen at the club.
i just hope it hasnt cost us the title, our side from last year would have walked the league this year, to be honest they should have won it last year as well even when united still had ronaldo.

Alonso would have gone to Madrid this summer anyway. If he wanted to stay, he could have. But he didn't.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #106 on: September 1, 2009, 09:57:13 pm »
Anyone in his position would do the same, but glad he didnt say a bad thing about the manager or club (so far) even though many could have bitch all year round, instead he played his best football since he signed for us!

01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Cribertinokes

• Born free. Live free. Die.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #107 on: September 1, 2009, 09:57:20 pm »
Such a great bloke, not one single bad word can be said about Alonso, he carrys himself with modesty and professionalism. He'll be misses hugely, sorry Xabi.
These are the days when I hate the world, hate the rich, hate the happy, hate the complacent, the TV watchers, beer drinkers, the satisfied ones. Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things and then I hate myself for realising that.

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #108 on: September 1, 2009, 09:58:06 pm »
He's gone, he wanted to go to Real Madrid and he's gone. Move on.

This.  Get over it.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline MHLC

• My Horse Likes Cheese
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: September 1, 2009, 10:00:45 pm »
So much so that he didn't tell the fans he wanted to go until a week before the season started.

Oh please. Give it a rest.

If you dont put players on a pedestal you wont be disappointed when your hero lets you down.

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: September 1, 2009, 10:04:36 pm »
Alonso would have gone to Madrid this summer anyway. If he wanted to stay, he could have. But he didn't.

i dont think he would have gone, alonso was happy at anfield but when rafa told him he was selling him him to raise funds to buy other players xabi`s proffessional pride was hurt.
in the interview on sky he mentions a couple of times that he`s happy to be at a club where he`s wanted.
i like rafa but he f##ked up big time with alonso.
it`s f##king typical of liverpools luck, why couldnt benitez fall out with someone shite?

Offline Piledriver

• Anny Roader
  • There will be six minutes extra time..........
« Reply #111 on: September 1, 2009, 10:10:21 pm »
Injury and form do affect players but IMO he was a class act but onward and upward.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #112 on: September 1, 2009, 10:11:53 pm »
Alonso can go fuck himself. I don't think he was wrong to want a move, it was a major fuck up from Rafa and anyone who wanted to take their heads out of the sands in the first place could see that being willing to sacrifice one of the best players in Europe for an average honorary brummie, who plods along passing sideways, was going to have consequences.

Nevertheless, as much as I think Alonso was correct in feeling aggrieved, I know he knew what a good opportunity to win the league it was this year. He knew how much it meant to the fans, he knew that him going would be a huge blow on the eve of the season, and most importantly he knew what kind of status he would have achieved had he stayed around and bossed the midfield on it's way to 19. He still wanted Madrid.

Rafa fucked up in the first place, but Xabi was a cock in accepting that the situation was bigger than his and Rafa's disagreement.

Sick of hearing about him to be honest. He was an amazing player but he's gone. He's gone because he couldn't get over the fact that Rafa was wrong. You give the guy the benefit of the doubt but at the end of the day he was just bloody selfish. Couldn't let Rafa's mistake or the 'lure' of Real Madrid go in favour of being a cornerstone of a dynasty.

I'm sure in a few years I'll feel different and just remember what a stunning player he was, but for now I think he should shut the fuck up about his time at Liverpool 'cos he knows how much his departure could hurt the club this season.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: September 1, 2009, 10:21:32 pm »
Totally agree. Its all well and good him saying he loves the fans and all that, but he knew exactly how close the team was to success and he still left.

He has his reasons and he was a crucial member of the side, as important as the other 3 irreplaceable players. But he decided to leave. Its all good as well saying your professional but Rafa made a mistake which I am sure he would have tried to reverse. He did tell him and the world how crucial a player he was in the end.

I mean, its not like players don't mistakes do they?

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #114 on: September 1, 2009, 10:27:38 pm »
The majority of blame for Alonso's departure lies with Rafa.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: September 1, 2009, 10:29:38 pm »
has anyone not stopped to think that maybe he wanted a bit of stability in his life and didnt think he'd get it at liverpool - hence why he wanted to leave? after all his family's welfare is far more important than LFC to him (and rightly so)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: September 1, 2009, 10:30:26 pm »
has anyone not stopped to think that maybe he wanted a bit of stability in his life and didnt think he'd get it at liverpool - hence why he wanted to leave? after all his family's welfare is far more important than LFC to him (and rightly so)

Real Madrid are the model of stability.

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #117 on: September 1, 2009, 10:32:59 pm »

Higher salary, comforts of home country.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: September 1, 2009, 10:33:17 pm »

they were able to offer him some stability, liverpool didnt and the past actions didnt indicate any stability offered by lfc

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: September 1, 2009, 10:33:48 pm »
Higher salary, comforts of home country.

So he wanted more money then and sunny weather. Good on him.