Author Topic: RAWK Round the FA Cup Table AFC 2-1 LFC  (Read 8273 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
RAWK Round the FA Cup Table AFC 2-1 LFC
« on: February 16, 2014, 06:06:25 pm »
What to say what to say... This tangled Webb of mystery we spin...
In a nutshell, I'm actually proud of much of what we did today, we didn't get steamrollered, we took them on at their's and for the most played very well.
But just as the margins in most games are what counts, they affected us today.
Sturridge was slightly off his game, not quite as sharp as I've seen him and it showed. Suarez wasn't as effective on the right as he had been and the Emirates' pitch was very slick and we consistently over passed the ball.
But none of that would have mattered if the other penalty had been given. Normally I'm someone who's reluctantly happy to concede that decisions may even themselves out, and so forth. Even more so, I hardly ever agree with Andy 'Come 'ere love' Gray. But we both, and probably the millions of non Arsenal fans too, had to say what. the. fuck. Suarez was knocked over in the box. Webb probably thought I've just given a penalty I'm not giving another but that was bad form. Terrible.

Meantime their goals were on the break and well taken and they settled then but we didn't look toothless and that's what pleases me. I actually thought Agger had scored with his header too. Bugger.
Still, I'd take 5-1 and the hope of Champions League next season and this result. Onwards.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 05:29:34 pm by Hinesy »
Yep.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
Re: RAWK Round the FA Cup Table AFC 2-1 LFC
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 10:26:30 pm »
Real shame Daniel didn't have his shooting boots on. Impressed in a way at how upset he was and suspect he will take it out on Swansea.

Not going to say too much about the second penalty shout as it was clear as day - but I will say that Agger being basically punched in the face as he headed the ball should have been one too. Seemed very odd that only Suarez was appealing it.

Henderson's absence highlighted his value to the side for me. That's not to say Joe played badly at all, but Jordan's energy is huge for us and we weren't quite there when we tried to press them.

I'm becoming very impressed with Stevie in that deep role, that's four very good games in a row there from him which is so, so encouraging. He could do a Giggs and play for years yet.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:50:48 pm by Hinesy »

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: RAWK Round the FA Cup Table AFC and Howard Webb 2-1 LFC
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 10:46:37 pm »

Not going to say too much about the second penalty shout as it was clear as day - but I will say that Agger being basically punched in the face as he headed the ball should have been one too. Seemed very odd that only Suarez was appealing it.

The unwritten rule of a defender/goalkeeper being able to do whatever the fuck they want to an attacker so long as they get their shot off strikes again.

It happens so frequently that people barely acknowledge it. But as long a the forward player gets their shot off the defending player is able to scythe through them almost at will.

Forget which team it was against but Sterling got wiped out recently at Anfield a good few seconds after the ball had gone. But because it was him having a shot it was dismissed without comment. 

Agger should have had a pen. That he got his head to the ball doesn't change anything other than in Webb's mind.

If Fabianski can't beat Agger to the ball with his fists, he shouldn't be trying to punch it.

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 10:46:53 pm »
Great game for the neutral, apparently.

Sturridge was clean through twice in the first ten minutes. Both chances fell on his right side, his weaker side. He could have squared the second one for Sterling but he didn't and he didn't finish either. The first one, I like to think his left foot might have had more imagination, more options. The second, it wasn't far off being a great finish but far enough. I thought at the time that it was almost like the start last time out except we didn't finish. You have to imagine the entire Arsenal team, except the keeper, each and every one looking on uselessly as the league's hottest striker spurns one and then two clear cut chances and thinking, fuck me it's our day. Then they get a goal against the run of play and suddenly we're playing catch up instead of sitting back and pouncing.

Sterling, though. That boy. He has such strength. He would make a fine judo exponent, he has mastery of his weight and stance. He muscled through them all day, getting his body in the right position and then flicking on the afterburners to glide away from trouble. It's a good thing to have players like him and Coutinho and Suarez who will take on and beat players for fun. Coutinho sidesteps, Suarez megs and Sterling burns.

Suarez needs a goal like a bull needs a cow. He was by far our most dangerous player but came up against a decent Arsenal keeper display. As for the penalties, he exaggerated both and they were both clear penalties. I think after the first one, Suarez thought this might be his best chance of providing a goal, I don't know, but the second reaction where he looked like he'd been shot? Unnecessary and probably cost us the spotter.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 10:52:27 pm »
What to say what to say... Can you not have Mr Webb any other day...
In a nutshell, I'm actually proud of much of what we did today, we didn't get steamrollered, we took them on at their's and for the most played very well.
But just as the margins in most games are what counts, they affected us today.
Sturridge was slightly off his game, not quite as sharp as I've seen him and it showed. Suarez wasn't as effective on the right as he had been and the Emirates' pitch was very slick and we consistently over passed the ball.
But none of that would have mattered if the other penalty had been given. Normally I'm someone who's reluctantly happy to concede that decisions may even themselves out, and so forth. Even more so, I hardly ever agree with Andy 'Come 'ere love' Gray. But we both, and probably the millions of non Arsenal fans too, had to say what. the. fuck. Suarez was knocked over in the box. Webb probably thought I've just given a penalty I'm not giving another but that was bad form. Terrible.

Meantime their goals were on the break and well taken and they settled then but we didn't look toothless and that's what pleases me. I actually thought Agger had scored with his header too. Bugger.
Still, I'd take 5-1 and the hope of Champions League next season and this result. Onwards.

Good OP. I don't really want to focus much on Webb and I worry talk of him will overshadow the performance but quite how he is considered to be a top Ref is beyond me. You would have thought that after all the attention the Eto'o decision got, that if it happened again right in front of him there would be a different outcome. However, history simply chose to repeat itself instead. Chamberlain with an almost identical challenge. Webb in spitting distance looking right at it. Suárez hits the turf. No dice. Maybe he just doesn't like Suárez? I know if I saw someone taking a knife to Evra in the area I would wave play on. Then again he is paid to be impartial and is considered by his peers to be the best of the bunch. Is he fuck. I'd prefer to see Clattenburg or Moss any day of the week. They certainly wouldn´t have let De Jong Van Damme stay on the pitch in the World Cup Final. He is the poster boy for incompetance.

I really want to give it another view before really committing to my thoughts on the game in here. My initial thoughts are that that was one of the most one sided performances I have seen at the Emirates from the away side. Even their defeats there this season against Chelsea, Dortmund & Villa - I thought Arsenal were either even or better than their opponents. We really outplayed them though but ultimately all our best chances fell to Sturridge on his only off day of the season. Hell, since he signed really. You replay that game 10 times and every time Sturridge walks away with at least a brace.

Once again Arsenal never really opened us up. I don't remember a single through ball from them all game. All their most dangerous moments were from playing Pulis football with Sanogo - and that is where the opening goal came from. The second was just us getting caught on the counter. It happens when you are chasing the game.... as Arsenal found out several times last weekend.

We on the other hand, cut them open at will at the beginning of the game. They say you need to score when you are on top and never was that more true than today. Arsenal scored totally against the run of play and it was always going to be tough from then. Looking on whoscored.com I see we had 7 through balls today to their 0. Ordinarily, when that happens, you would be looking at a 3,4 or 5 nil win to the away side. I honestly believed if Sturridge sinks 1 or 2 of those early chances then it really would have been. They were there for the taking today.

The glass half-full part of me says, before last weekends game I would gladly have taken winning the league game and loosing the cup game if it was offered to me.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:14:29 am by BabuYagu »
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 11:35:03 pm »
Good OP. I don't really want to focus much on Webb and I worry talk of him will overshadow the performance but quite how he is considered to be a top Ref is beyond me. You would have thought that after all the attention the Eto'o decision got, that if it happened again right in front of him there would be a different outcome. However, history simply chose to repeat itself instead. Chamberlain with an almost identical challenge. Webb in spitting distance looking right at it. Suárez hits the turf. No dice. Maybe he just doesn't like Suárez? I know if I saw someone taking a knife to Evra in the area I would wave play on. Then again he is paid to be impartial and is considered by his peers to be the best of the bunch. Is he fuck. I'd prefer to see Clattenburg or Moss any day of the week. They certainly wouldn´t have let De Jong Van Damme stay on the pitch in the World Cup Final. He is the poster boy for incompetance.

I really want to give it another view before really committing to my thoughts on the game in here. My initial thoughts are that that was one of the most one sided performances I have seen at the Emirates from the away side. Even their defeats there this season against Chelsea, Dortmund & Villa - I thought Arsenal were either even or better than their opponents. We really outplayed them though but ultimately all our best chances fell to Sturridge on his only off day of the season. Hell, since he signed really. You replay that game 10 times and every time Sturridge walks away with at least a brace.

Once again Arsenal never really opened us up. I don't remember a single through ball from them all game. All their most dangerous moments were from playing Pulis football with Sanogo - and that is where the opening goal came from. The second was just us getting caught on the counter. It happens when you are chasing the game.... as Arsenal found out several times last weekend.

We on the other hand, cut them open at will at the beginning of the game. They say you need to score when you are on top and never was that more true than today. Arsenal scored totally against the run of play and it was always going to be tough from then. Looking on whoscored.com I see we had 7 through balls today to their 0. Ordinarily, when that happens, you would be looking at a 3,4 or 5 nil win to the away side. I honestly believed if Sturridge sinks 1 or 2 of those early chances then it really would have been. They were there for the taking today.

The glass half-full part of me says, before last weekends game I would gladly have taken winning the league game and loosing the cup game if it was offered to me.

The game was similar to the home game only difference we took our chances at Anfield but couldn't take them today, had Sturridge taken his chance id have fancied us to have scored 3 or 4 but of course  as they say if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle it just wasn't to be, I can't remember the last time we went to Emirates/Highbury and deserved the win , but today we did once arsenal went in front it was always going to be tough the tables had turned and they were playing us on the counter and  Sould have  scored more had Carzola not thought he was playing at Twickenham rather than Emirates they probably would have. Seeing Sturridge crying at full time was an eyeopener genuinely i didnt think he cared like us but watch him at full time and find me a fan whose never felt like that hopefully it will spur us and and we will need to settle for the title  ;)

As for the refereeing it wasn't the penalty decision that riled me it was the inconsistency, there is no chance in hell Webb  or any ref for that matter is going to give the away side two penalties in quick succession not a chance, what pissed me off was the random times in booking players on both sides Podolski should have been booked three times alone same goes for Flamini and if I'm staying neutral so should have Gerrard his second tackle was more of a yellow than his first but that's Howard Webb for you.

Ending on a positive note though,  press reports coming out of Italy last week were saying Lazio's 17-year-old Cameroonian forward Joseph Minala is 41 rather than 17, can we please get an age check on sterling the boy is a tank and once again was MOTM for me that's 4 out of the last 5  I've said he's been MOTM he was immense today whether that be up top in a front 3 or when he was playing right back he was superb and he's only frickin 19 imagine what he'll be like at 23/24. the futures bright not just for Raheem but for the team .

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 02:42:00 am »
What a game that was! We were brilliant in the second half, utterly brilliant. It was just one of those days that happen in a game of few chances. Even the best strikers in the world don't do much better than 50/50 on their clear cut chances, and Sturridge has done much better than that since we signed him--he was due a day like this. And Howard Webb...well, let's not get into that.

The first half was solid, though not great. After that flurry at the beginning of the game--which I sadly missed--we didn't create much, but we mostly controlled the game better than we usually do away from home. I'm sure others will analyze the first goal, but I haven't watched it back a second time. It wasn't a great free kick to give away, and the bounce just didn't fall for us.

For me, our big problem in the first half--for once, agreeing with the BT commentators--was that Suarez was so isolated out on the right. With Arsenal predictably not leaving as much space in behind and pressing better than at Anfield, our wide attack based around throughballs struggled to open them up. We needed Suarez in the center. Not only is he currently the best goal scorer in England, he's also one of the top 5 dribblers and playmakers. Especially against a deeper defense, we needed his world-class creativity centrally, whether as the main striker with Sturridge doing his Henry at Barca impression or by vacating his wide position.

Rodgers chose the latter in the second half, and except for the one devastating counter attack, we were rampant. For me, the default has to be that you put the best player in England in his best position, unless there's a very specific tactical reason that you both need Strurridge's pace centrally and need disciplined wide players on both sides. I can't imagine many situations where that would be true.

I've run out of praise for Sterling. The boy is incredible. Not only is he the best young English wide player (or, maybe best healthy English wide player, period), he's also the best young English right back and possibly striker too.

Relatedly, Rodgers deserves praise for the brave sub, which was exactly the right move. How tasty was it seeing the the Suarez/Sterling flank partnership? Not quite Dani Alves/Messi, but the idea is the same!

Anyway, it's gutting to go out of the cup, but I have nothing but praise for the overall performance. We've got something special brewing here.

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 10:14:55 am »

Offline Cassiel

• Legacy Fan
  • Lord, I can't go back there...
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 11:38:42 am »
Raheem's had enough brushes with the law to know that you never touch a copper. Particularly an incompetent one.
Looks like I chose the wrong day to feed the pigeons...

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 01:22:12 pm »
Liverpool have had a few decent results at the Emirates since it opened back in 2006, mostly draws. And aside from the club’s first visit there, a 3-0 beating in November 2006, most of the games have been close, at least on the scoreboard. With that said, games there have typically been fraught affairs from our point of view, with the home side generally dominating and Liverpool attempting to absorb prolonged periods of pressure and maybe nick a goal. It was exactly the same at the start of November this year, where Arsenal gave the away side a footballing lesson, going in 2-0 up at half-time before taking their foot off their opponents’ throats for long enough for Sturridge and Suárez to create one or two chances that might possibly have given Liverpool an undeserved share of the points. Even then, you felt that the Gunners would have merely shifted up through the gears again had the worst happened. Liverpool were second-best that night, by a long way. It was kind of depressing, really, and one of the primary reasons why so many were so nervous before their visit to Anfield just over a week ago, a venue where they hadn’t lost in the League since 2007.

The progress this team has made since that 2-0 defeat in November, however, is staggering. In a little over three months, they’ve reached a point where they can trash Arsenal 5-1 at home and then go to the Emirates and control the game for the most part, two huge matches against a fellow title-contender in eight days and they can consider themselves unlucky not to have won them both. Arsenal, lest we forget, are a quality team and one which has been in a kind of constant gestation for a long time. Undefeated at Anfield since 2007 and with only the one loss against us at home since the opening of their new stadium, just 4 League losses out of 25 going back 12 years before last Saturday week, and now, twice in the space of a week, Brendan Rodgers’ young team has made them look very average indeed. That’s progress, and that’s exciting.

First and foremost, whatever plaudits come Raheem Sterling’s way this week are richly deserved. He was absolutely superb yesterday and looked perfectly at home in the right-back slot, a sign not only of how physically and technically gifted the lad is but just how much footballing intelligence he has too. There was a moment towards the end where Arsenal were looking to hit us on the break, and they played a one-two on the edge of their box that resulted in (I think) Gibbs breaking towards goal. He was flagged for offside, but Sterling didn’t know that and stopped him with a perfect sliding tackle, winning the ball, controlling it and getting to his feet in one fluid movement. It was majestic. His move to right-back also showed just how much we’ve been missing Glen Johnson, not perhaps the version of him that we saw for the few months prior to his recent absence but the fully-fit Glen Johnson and what a player of that calibre and ability brings to the team. Arsenal were happy to let Flanagan and Cissokho have the ball yesterday, and it was only when Sterling switched to right-back that they had something consistently meaningful to worry about from wide. Flanagan and Cissokho have done really well for us in recent weeks, particularly the former. They’ve been solid, hard-working and haven’t let anybody down, but we’re missing Johnson and Enrique and the game yesterday was the best example of that. Johnson was bang out of form for a couple of months and Enrique is hardly flawless, but if we can get them back soon, healthy and playing at something approaching full-throttle, then the team will be even better equipped to dismantle opponents.

It’s a real shame that Sturridge didn’t have his shooting boots on yesterday. It’s funny, during the interview he did with the Anfield Wrap last week, he mentioned that he felt like he was overthinking things when deployed wide at Chelsea because the position wasn’t natural to him, and that everything was coming to him instinctively now and the goals with it. In fact, the second and third of his chances yesterday smacked to me of overthinking things. Trying to round Fabianski was a little too cute, the first taking him too wide and the second resulting in the ‘keeper clawing the ball away from him (even if he hadn’t, the angle would have been similarly difficult). This lad is phenomenal, a natural, instinctive goalscorer, he doesn’t need to be overthinking anything and, as he touched upon himself, it can even be a bad thing. Hey, what do I know, I know fuck all, but I really hope that the next time he’s faced with a ‘keeper in a one-on-one situation, he’ll just shoot, like he did for goals at Fulham and at home to Arsenal and Everton in recent weeks. Put the ball in the back of the net and we’ll discuss your options later, as a wise man once said. As for Suárez, even in the midst of a mini-drought, the man’s influence is all-pervasive. His trickery and tireless running got us back into it and should have provided us with an equaliser too. One of these weeks, someone is going to get absolutely annihilated by him. Here’s hoping it’s Swansea at the weekend.

Unfortunately you can’t really have a proper discussion about this game without referencing Howard Webb, which is a shame because the game itself was so good. They say the best referees are virtually anonymous; that’s a damning indictment of Webb in and of itself. To say that his reaction to Raheem Sterling placing a hand on his chest just before half-time was theatrical would be the kindest interpretation. Another would be that it smacked of a level of arrogance unbecoming of an official whose role requires that he merely interpret and enforce rules while remaining emotionally unattached at all times (by the way, I can’t have been the only one who wondered whether he would have done similar had the incident involved John Terry, Wayne Rooney or indeed Steven Gerrard). I have never, and probably never will again, see a referee react quite like that, and I found it kind of bizarre to be honest. Then you had the penalty decisions. The one he gave for Podolski’s kick on the back of Suárez’s leg was a stonewaller; so was the one he didn’t give for Oxlade-Chamberlain’s barge into the Uruguayan’s back. Those are facts, regardless of any of the theatricality on the part of Suárez that players increasingly need to throw in these days for referees like Webb to give them anything.

And that’s the thing that really gets me about him more than anything else - he’s a referee that seems to allow pre-determined ideas to interfere with how he officiates games. I really don't want to give any penalties today. I'll keep my cards in my pocket. I'm taking no nonsense today. What’s that on your boot, Nigel, a piece of Xabi Alonso’s torso? Well I couldn’t possibly send you off, this is the first-half of a World Cup final! Who’s that you’re taking out in the box, Samuel, Luis Suárez? Isn’t he a cheat? And what’s that dripping off your studs, Jordan Henderson’s kneecap? Well I couldn’t possibly send you off in the first minute! And you’ve already had a penalty today, Liverpool, I couldn’t possibly give you another. Besides, isn’t that Luis Suárez, the cheat? Some will engage in condescension and claim that what really cost Liverpool on the day was Sturridge not taking the aforementioned chances, but I’m sorry, giving Steven Gerrard a free shot from 12 yards out is as good as a goal, so effectively Webb’s baffling decision denied the away side an equaliser. And at 2-2, there would have been only one team winning that game…

None of that, however, outweighs the positives to be taken away from that performance.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 01:25:30 pm by E2K »
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 05:56:06 pm »
Nothing to add to those who's posts appear above. We all feel a sense of injustice mixed with no little pride and a growing belief in this team.

I will, as I said immediately after the game, console myself with the thought that we will now go on to win the Premiership. We've waited long enough and it just feels like a sort of destiny.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 06:03:21 pm »
I also have to credit Arsenal's two center defenders and especially Fabianski, who made several great stops. Sometimes, you have to hold your hands up and say its just not going to be our day

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 06:08:08 pm »
Our lethal striker was not so lethal and our neutral referee was not so neutral, otherwise we  battered that Arsenal side for most periods of the game. I couldn't be more proud of the effort they made and the approach they demonstrated in putting Arsenal on the back foot, again from the kick-off.

Brendan's team are progressing faster than we could have expected. The leaps in levels of performances from Sterling is quite amazing, together with how versatile, strong and attack-minded he's become. He hasn't had that drive since the Summer of 2012, he's suddenly as much of a nuisance as Suarez. Good on him.

From front to back I want to heap praise on them all, Jones & Cissokho included. They faced that Arsenal side that has been steadily and now expensively built and fronted them with skill and guile, they got kicked to fuck with no protection and played with a mission of cup progression - but were cheated out of a replay. Our ability to create chances is wonderful to observe.

I said to my lad I felt sick as SG stepped up to take his pen, I haven't got a clue how he could slot it with such ease. He's another player that has proved many of the worriers, including me, wrong.

Once again Brendan can walk away from a football game a very proud man.

Now just line those PL games up one-by-one and fucking smash all comers.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 06:26:10 pm »
By the way, I don't think Webb is biased, I just think he's a bottler. No way was he going to give a second penalty in 6 minutes, even if Chamberlain had performed The People's Elbow on Luis.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 06:52:06 pm »
I think that if Sturridge puts away one of those opening 2 chances, we go on and win the game because I think Arsenal would have folded.
Our defending wasn't great for both goals but we did limit their other chances.
First penalty is definitely a penalty - Podolski kicks Suarez and he goes down (pretty much every other striker in the world does the same)
Second penalty is even more of a penalty if that can be said but if Webb thinks that it isn't a penalty then he surely has to book Suarez for diving? It can only be a dive or a foul....
I don't think Agger gets a penalty because he had already headed the ball by the time the keeper hits him. If the keeper makes the contact before Agger heads the ball then again, it would be a penalty (but then again with Webb in charge, I doubt we'd get it anyway)

We needed to take our chances and we win fairly comfortably. Those goals gave Arsenal the confidence they lacked and had we beaten them again, I think they would have nose dived for the rest of the season.

Now we have 12 games left = 36 possible points. We have to take the disappointment of yesterday in those games and take maximum advantage....

Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 08:01:27 pm »
Thought we were the better team overall and deserved a draw at least - Sturridge had the best chances but they just didnt go in on the day - some days its just not your day, Arsenal were hanging on for a lot of the game and got lucky with AOC's challenge on Suarez

edit: just to add, i wouldnt have minded seeing Teixeira for the last 10 mins to see if he could have done something
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 08:03:21 pm by na fir dearg »

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 08:07:07 pm »
Liverpool have had a few decent results at the Emirates since it opened back in 2006, mostly draws. And aside from the club’s first visit there, a 3-0 beating in November 2006, most of the games have been close, at least on the scoreboard. With that said, games there have typically been fraught affairs from our point of view, with the home side generally dominating and Liverpool attempting to absorb prolonged periods of pressure and maybe nick a goal. It was exactly the same at the start of November this year, where Arsenal gave the away side a footballing lesson, going in 2-0 up at half-time before taking their foot off their opponents’ throats for long enough for Sturridge and Suárez to create one or two chances that might possibly have given Liverpool an undeserved share of the points. Even then, you felt that the Gunners would have merely shifted up through the gears again had the worst happened. Liverpool were second-best that night, by a long way. It was kind of depressing, really, and one of the primary reasons why so many were so nervous before their visit to Anfield just over a week ago, a venue where they hadn’t lost in the League since 2007.

The progress this team has made since that 2-0 defeat in November, however, is staggering. In a little over three months, they’ve reached a point where they can trash Arsenal 5-1 at home and then go to the Emirates and control the game for the most part, two huge matches against a fellow title-contender in eight days and they can consider themselves unlucky not to have won them both. Arsenal, lest we forget, are a quality team and one which has been in a kind of constant gestation for a long time. Undefeated at Anfield since 2007 and with only the one loss against us at home since the opening of their new stadium, just 4 League losses out of 25 going back 12 years before last Saturday week, and now, twice in the space of a week, Brendan Rodgers’ young team has made them look very average indeed. That’s progress, and that’s exciting.

First and foremost, whatever plaudits come Raheem Sterling’s way this week are richly deserved. He was absolutely superb yesterday and looked perfectly at home in the right-back slot, a sign not only of how physically and technically gifted the lad is but just how much footballing intelligence he has too. There was a moment towards the end where Arsenal were looking to hit us on the break, and they played a one-two on the edge of their box that resulted in (I think) Gibbs breaking towards goal. He was flagged for offside, but Sterling didn’t know that and stopped him with a perfect sliding tackle, winning the ball, controlling it and getting to his feet in one fluid movement. It was majestic. His move to right-back also showed just how much we’ve been missing Glen Johnson, not perhaps the version of him that we saw for the few months prior to his recent absence but the fully-fit Glen Johnson and what a player of that calibre and ability brings to the team. Arsenal were happy to let Flanagan and Cissokho have the ball yesterday, and it was only when Sterling switched to right-back that they had something consistently meaningful to worry about from wide. Flanagan and Cissokho have done really well for us in recent weeks, particularly the former. They’ve been solid, hard-working and haven’t let anybody down, but we’re missing Johnson and Enrique and the game yesterday was the best example of that. Johnson was bang out of form for a couple of months and Enrique is hardly flawless, but if we can get them back soon, healthy and playing at something approaching full-throttle, then the team will be even better equipped to dismantle opponents.

It’s a real shame that Sturridge didn’t have his shooting boots on yesterday. It’s funny, during the interview he did with the Anfield Wrap last week, he mentioned that he felt like he was overthinking things when deployed wide at Chelsea because the position wasn’t natural to him, and that everything was coming to him instinctively now and the goals with it. In fact, the second and third of his chances yesterday smacked to me of overthinking things. Trying to round Fabianski was a little too cute, the first taking him too wide and the second resulting in the ‘keeper clawing the ball away from him (even if he hadn’t, the angle would have been similarly difficult). This lad is phenomenal, a natural, instinctive goalscorer, he doesn’t need to be overthinking anything and, as he touched upon himself, it can even be a bad thing. Hey, what do I know, I know fuck all, but I really hope that the next time he’s faced with a ‘keeper in a one-on-one situation, he’ll just shoot, like he did for goals at Fulham and at home to Arsenal and Everton in recent weeks. Put the ball in the back of the net and we’ll discuss your options later, as a wise man once said. As for Suárez, even in the midst of a mini-drought, the man’s influence is all-pervasive. His trickery and tireless running got us back into it and should have provided us with an equaliser too. One of these weeks, someone is going to get absolutely annihilated by him. Here’s hoping it’s Swansea at the weekend.

Unfortunately you can’t really have a proper discussion about this game without referencing Howard Webb, which is a shame because the game itself was so good. They say the best referees are virtually anonymous; that’s a damning indictment of Webb in and of itself. To say that his reaction to Raheem Sterling placing a hand on his chest just before half-time was theatrical would be the kindest interpretation. Another would be that it smacked of a level of arrogance unbecoming of an official whose role requires that he merely interpret and enforce rules while remaining emotionally unattached at all times (by the way, I can’t have been the only one who wondered whether he would have done similar had the incident involved John Terry, Wayne Rooney or indeed Steven Gerrard). I have never, and probably never will again, see a referee react quite like that, and I found it kind of bizarre to be honest. Then you had the penalty decisions. The one he gave for Podolski’s kick on the back of Suárez’s leg was a stonewaller; so was the one he didn’t give for Oxlade-Chamberlain’s barge into the Uruguayan’s back. Those are facts, regardless of any of the theatricality on the part of Suárez that players increasingly need to throw in these days for referees like Webb to give them anything.

And that’s the thing that really gets me about him more than anything else - he’s a referee that seems to allow pre-determined ideas to interfere with how he officiates games. I really don't want to give any penalties today. I'll keep my cards in my pocket. I'm taking no nonsense today. What’s that on your boot, Nigel, a piece of Xabi Alonso’s torso? Well I couldn’t possibly send you off, this is the first-half of a World Cup final! Who’s that you’re taking out in the box, Samuel, Luis Suárez? Isn’t he a cheat? And what’s that dripping off your studs, Jordan Henderson’s kneecap? Well I couldn’t possibly send you off in the first minute! And you’ve already had a penalty today, Liverpool, I couldn’t possibly give you another. Besides, isn’t that Luis Suárez, the cheat? Some will engage in condescension and claim that what really cost Liverpool on the day was Sturridge not taking the aforementioned chances, but I’m sorry, giving Steven Gerrard a free shot from 12 yards out is as good as a goal, so effectively Webb’s baffling decision denied the away side an equaliser. And at 2-2, there would have been only one team winning that game…

None of that, however, outweighs the positives to be taken away from that performance.

I was reading this earlier on my phone on my way home on the bus. Squinting in the bad light I hadn't noticed who the poster was.

About two paragraphs into it I knew!

Another brilliant effort. Bravo sir.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 08:13:18 pm »
I think that if Sturridge puts away one of those opening 2 chances, we go on and win the game because I think Arsenal would have folded.
Our defending wasn't great for both goals but we did limit their other chances.
First penalty is definitely a penalty - Podolski kicks Suarez and he goes down (pretty much every other striker in the world does the same)
Second penalty is even more of a penalty if that can be said but if Webb thinks that it isn't a penalty then he surely has to book Suarez for diving? It can only be a dive or a foul....
I don't think Agger gets a penalty because he had already headed the ball by the time the keeper hits him. If the keeper makes the contact before Agger heads the ball then again, it would be a penalty (but then again with Webb in charge, I doubt we'd get it anyway)

We needed to take our chances and we win fairly comfortably. Those goals gave Arsenal the confidence they lacked and had we beaten them again, I think they would have nose dived for the rest of the season.

Now we have 12 games left = 36 possible points. We have to take the disappointment of yesterday in those games and take maximum advantage....

If we can get atleast 31 points from those 36 we will be champions imo
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 08:21:01 pm »
Great performance, outdone by a huge stroke of luck for the first goal in terms of how kindly the ball from a block fell to an Arsenal player, and the second goal just being the raw pace of AOC. He did have a tuck of Agger's shirt but he needn't have bothered really.

Obviously the penalty that wasn't given had a huge effect although if we'd have taken our chances, then a decision like that we'd talk about but it wouldn't have been as huge of an influence as it turned out to be.

Brad Jones did well as one would expect, should give Brendan food for thought, and I would say the only thing that we could have possibly done differently was bring on another player towards the 75 - 80 min mark, to freshen it up a bit. A bit of Aspas might have been good, or someone... but other then that, can't complain too much.

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 08:25:02 pm »
Every cloud ...........  What doesn't kill you...........  etc etc.  Champions in May.

We did nothing wrong apart from failing to convert our chances, not the first time and won't be the last.  However, we need to take the learning from that game and implement it in the future: namely, when Webb is involved we need to score sufficient goals to negate his cowardly influence on the game. 
TheMissionary
YNWA

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 08:41:26 pm »
By the way, I don't think Webb is biased, I just think he's a bottler. No way was he going to give a second penalty in 6 minutes, even if Chamberlain had performed The People's Elbow on Luis.

It wasn't just the penalty though time after time he allowed Arsenal to nullify our counter attacks by not playing advantage when we had clear opportunities to progress.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 09:39:34 pm »
Not really much to say.

We started off on fire and if one of the chances would have been put away then we probably would have won easily. Arsenal tightened up after that and cut out a lot of our supply from midfield.

Arsenal were poor and scored against the run of play. I think we missed Henderson in midfield as we lacked a bit of energy.

Arsenal had one good move in the whole match and they scored their second from it. Maybe Agger was being pulled back though.

We then started to play better and better and got a deserved penalty. Their keeper then kept the score down as we dominated the rest of the game. We obviously should have had a penalty. Even Wenger agreed when he said "maybe, maybe not" which translates to "it was a stonewaller".

Overall I was happy with the display as we were comfortably the better team and deserved a draw through a second penalty.
#JFT97

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 08:44:13 am »

fantastic.

I don't believe there's much more I can add to that.

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 09:21:17 am »
Just a quick question for the mods regarding the round table threads.

Do you guys pull decent posts from the original post-match thread and import them into the Round Table, or is it a clean slate for people to post more reasoned thoughts a day or two after the match?

Can't remember.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline Pepe Silvia

• Anny Roader
  • real ale chilled she'll tell shell
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 09:47:18 am »
Real shame Daniel didn't have his shooting boots on. Impressed in a way at how upset he was and suspect he will take it out on Swansea.

Henderson's absence highlighted his value to the side for me. That's not to say Joe played badly at all, but Jordan's energy is huge for us and we weren't quite there when we tried to press them.

I'm becoming very impressed with Stevie in that deep role, that's four very good games in a row there from him which is so, so encouraging. He could do a Giggs and play for years yet.
I can remember at least twice in recent games where Sterling has had a shot on goal a millisecond before he's completely taken out by an onrushing defender/goalkeeper, the effort is saved or blocked and play just continues. Anywhere else, it's a foul or advantage is given but then brought back but apparently not in the penalty area. The strange thing is that most of the time both players and supporters don't appeal for it as they're reacting to the missed chance or follow-up.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 09:50:50 am »
Just a quick question for the mods regarding the round table threads.

Do you guys pull decent posts from the original post-match thread and import them into the Round Table, or is it a clean slate for people to post more reasoned thoughts a day or two after the match?

Can't remember.
The latter.
The former is a very good idea but in practice quite unmanageable as we wouldn't always have time. If a user however has posted something in the post match that's considered and good, they're very welcome to paste it into here.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 09:52:31 am »
What happened between our first Arsenal fixture away this season and this one that we could boss Arsenal, one of the top 4 teams this season without a shadow of a doubt, this way?

Is this what it looks like when the sum of the parts Rodgers and team have been working on finally come together and become then something which is worth more than that, the sum of the parts? From my shallow outside observation this would be getting better in avoiding mistakes which have creeped in over the years while having the players work on our passing patterns and trying to improve the overall mentality within the team and the club? Roughly.

You could say that Rodgers has a plan which has starting to pay off, he called it "death by football" and in contrast to others I always found it encouraging rather than annoying whenever he made these sort of speeches at the beginning of his time here. Of course there is way more to this in terms of daily work on the pitch but I thought it to be interesting and entertaining but not 100% serious in every word he said back then. But maybe he was, it very much looks like it, it was Arsenal, not Coventry or Tranmere, and we murdered them. He clearly has a unique vision which makes us special and looked Arsenal pretty ordinary. Death by football. Yeah.

Can't wait to see more.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:06:18 am by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 10:13:50 am »

Cracking post all round, though I would defend Sturridge a little. The first chance he actually takes pretty well - even on his right foot, makes decent contact and tucks it between the keeper's legs. Fabianski saved it with his arse. On the second, with a lofted ball and the angle of the run, I don't think he had any good opportunity to take an early strike, and to go around the keeper was probably correct; his effort was a little unlucky. He had to lift it and use power, as there was a defender covering the keeper.

On the third, perhaps best chance on his left, he takes a little look and notices Fabianski's position and posture - which is very good; already closing the space, crouching low to the ground and arms spread. The idea to round the keeper is ok, but the first touch is a little timid and too close, unless he was looking to draw the penalty (not that Webb would have given it).

I noted either in Sturridge's thread or the Fulham post match, that he seems to have very good awareness of a keeper's positioning. Compare his goals against Arsenal (Scezney) and Fulham. Similar through balls, similar first touch and setting himself, similar stroked pass into the back of the net. But against Scezney, the shot was a couple of yards inside the post; against Stecklenburg, he had to use the post itself. Though the shots ended up in rather different parts of the goal, they were almost identical in being just out of reach of the keeper. He doesn't needlessly aim right for the corner, where a slight misjudgement means a miss, but to put it just beyond the keeper. Scezney's positioning was a little odd more than once in that game, covering his left hand post but leaving a large gap to his right (e.g. Henderson's chip opportunity). I think Sturridge is aware enough to take advantage of that.

In this game, Fabianski played well. The 'arse save' appears lucky to some extent, but it's good body shape. On that best chance, Sturridge spotted his positioning and shape, determining that sidestepping him was the better option - and Fabianski still made a good reach to block the ball. I'd rather my striker assessed the situation and took what he thinks to be the best option, than simply leather the ball straight at the keeper, as many seem to do these days. They won't all go in.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline opsteo

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 03:43:10 am »
I can help but think that we condemn Arsenal to more games and it will spread itself too thinly.  In fact, I am pretty sure that by beating us in FA cup thanks to the webb of incompetency, we will better Arsenal in the league and have better than third place.  If only Everton draws with Arsenal on 8 Mar, both teams will truely be knackered in the League as both will go all out in the FA cup and be distracted from the League.  Either Arsenal or Everton will also distract Man Manchester City which is also good for us. 

Despite the setback, I think we are in a stronger position in the league and with a bit of luck after the un-luck of Webb's penalty, we can even win the Premier League.  Other referees will be co concerned of the scrutiny of another wrong decision affecting us that any 50-50 decision will be given to us.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2014, 04:29:23 am »
Thought we were unlucky to lose and it was a really entertaining game/ encouraging performance, mildly gutted because a home tie against Everton would have been great.

Some excellent posts above, very nice. 
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline redintweed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 09:31:08 am »
Thought we were unlucky to lose and it was a really entertaining game/ encouraging performance, mildly gutted because a home tie against Everton would have been great.

Some excellent posts above, very nice.

You're right - some excellent posts here and not much more to say. I also would have loved a home cup tie against Everton. The semi against them 2 or so seasons back was an epic night in the Boozer here in Australia. I was really looking forward to another night like that. Plus, the FA Cup still means something to me. I was gutted when Chelsea beat us in the final. Call me sentimental, but I can remember me old fella waking me up in the middle of the night to watch cup games. I can still remember him screaming at the old telly "give 'em a dance Kenny!". So I'm bitterly disappointed to lose this game. Even more so because we were much the better side.

One of the above posts said that we are really missing Glen Johnson and Enrique. I couldn't agree more. While Aly and Flanno were solid and the former has certainly improved the last month or so, to me they don't really give us enough in attack. Because they are not bombing forward it gives the 2 wider men in the front 3 too much to do. If Glen (at his best - not the version of most of this season) was bombing down the right then Luis/Raheem could spend more time cutting infield and putting central defences in a quandry. The same on the left. It looked like Arsenal were happy to let Aly have the ball as they knew he wasn't going to hurt them much. If Enrique is bombing down the left the the same thing happens again. Luis/Raheem can cut infield and create kaos. Luis looked very isolated and frustrated in the first half and was starved of the ball a bit. This changed a bit in the second half and we looked much better. We are a different team when Luis has plenty of the ball.

Regards to the referee, i think it is just his ego. If no one is talking about the referee, they have done their job to perfection. Webb isn't happy unless people are talking/writing about him. His performance was dire. The second penno call was probably the most stonewall penno there will be this season. If he doesn't award the penalty, then surely he must book Luis for a dive. Webb was less than 10 metres from the incident and everyone in the ground - including the pidgeons on the roof - saw it was a penalty. If he refs in the EPL this week, it's beyond a joke.

At the end of the day though, if Daniel puts one of those early chances away, I think the scoreline would have been similar to Anfield and no one would have been talking about Howard fucking Webb. Arsenal would have been a bit fragile, especially after last weeks mauling. I was impressed by our mentality after going down though, particularly in the second half. To see Daniel's reaction to losing is very encouraging to say the least. He seems to have a similar mentality to Luis now (maybe it's rubbed off), in that losing is not an option.

I don't think the loss will do the squad any harm though. It will bring them back down to earth after the last 2 wins. Epic at Anfield against Arsenal and not at our best against Fulham but still winning. We really need a good result against Swansea in the league to right the wrongs of this game and with a few players coming back to fitness, which will be like new signings almost (Johnno, Enrique, Agger, Sakho and Lucas), our bench will be so much stronger and give Brendan options to change things up during the game.

We just need to keep focus on each and every game. Results like this (best side lost) do happen and it's more about how we bounce back. Sturridge will be chomping at the bit to atone for the missed chances and Luis is in a bit of a mini goal drought, even though he has created many, so he is due to explode soon enough.

Onwards and upwards. Great things lie ahead for our team.
I'd rather play for Liverpool Reserves than Everton.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 09:50:58 am »
Echo the above....very well put by some posters.

I will mention though that immediately after the game I thought back to a couple seasons back.....and my feelings at the time,  was that our mental fragility was so poor....and costing us.

As soon as a team we were playing showed any kind of fight we would panic and frustrate and time and time again we'd shoot ourselves in the foot by not getting the correct result. Felt like it wore us down, badly. All the hard work building that team that challenged in 08/09 which seemed to never back down from a fight and always found a way back in the game (3-2 away to pompey etc)...was just chipped away.

We needed positives, small at first then bigger and more encouraging positives. Positives by coming back in games, turning the tide as it were, couple of youth players showing us the benefits of a good academy, some big psychological results and keeping players like Suarez at the club.......building a stronger and more confident team centred around a strong team bond and a stable structure at the top.
This season alot of things have come together at an alarming rate and consistancy and its clear for all to see we've been escalating to a different breed of Liverpool. Its taken everyone by surprise, including me

I look at us now, and especially after that game we just lost away to Arsenal. Which we bossed. In recent history there would be no coming back from 2 goals down.....our heads would have gone. Not only should we have done that but we should have won the game too.....and after the match i wasnt worried about the direction of this team or its mentality anymore, i can say its in the back of my mind finally.

Im coming to terms with the fact that the team trusts one another....they have belief in their ability and are not afraid in any match circumstance. Its coming together and we may not be fully there yet but we're damn-sure on the right track...

This game was one we should have won. But we went out in the best way possible you could say...
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
JFT 96

Offline SmallwoodRed

• Kopite
  • remember april 1989
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 11:23:57 am »

Sums him up really.
Still he did us a favour - 12 games only left

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 02:21:18 am »
Just wanted to add that Webb could have both a. awarded the penalty AND b. yellow-carded Suarez for "exaggerating" the effect of the contact that legitimately incurred the 'free-kick' (in the area, therefore a penalty).
Ludi Circenses!

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 02:37:19 am »
I just finally watched the game before the Arsenal-Munich game today. Had only seen highlights earlier. I have to say we looked smashing. In contrast to the game CL game afterwards I thought we looked like we can really do well in the Champions League if we qualify. Last year I had thoughts that maybe it's too early to qualify because we weren't good enough for the competition but now it seems Brendan has the team playing as a cohesive attacking force. Really hope we qualify and think that we will. Hopefully we got our bad day of shooting out of the way at the Emirates. Coutinho threaded some wonderful through balls in the second half. Suarez, Sturridge and oh my, Sterling-were really playing well just couldn't get it in the net. Then the Suarez penalty denial-he was truly clattered and it was certainly a penalty.

All in all things are looking good. Can't wait to see how it plays out.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 11:16:40 am »
I just finally watched the game before the Arsenal-Munich game today. Had only seen highlights earlier. I have to say we looked smashing. In contrast to the game CL game afterwards I thought we looked like we can really do well in the Champions League if we qualify. Last year I had thoughts that maybe it's too early to qualify because we weren't good enough for the competition but now it seems Brendan has the team playing as a cohesive attacking force. Really hope we qualify and think that we will. Hopefully we got our bad day of shooting out of the way at the Emirates. Coutinho threaded some wonderful through balls in the second half. Suarez, Sturridge and oh my, Sterling-were really playing well just couldn't get it in the net. Then the Suarez penalty denial-he was truly clattered and it was certainly a penalty.

All in all things are looking good. Can't wait to see how it plays out.

Have to echo your sentiments.

Watching it back without the anxiety was a real pleasure seeing us knit and weave patterns right across the pitch. Arguably the most I've smiled watching us get beat.  :)

Indeed, had Luis and Daniel been at their highest level of finishing clinicalityness  :P god knows how many we'd have scored. As it was Arsenal fought tooth and nail - albeit overly aggressive at times which should have been more strictly refereed [not going there  :)] and they did have their own spells of domination and impressive counter attacking. Overall, however, it was Liverpool who, despite the final scoreline, looked like the team of the moment. We certainly have got some enticing times ahead with this little lot in our ranks.

Offline ComboDe

• Anny Roader
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2014, 05:31:03 am »
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, But May anyone spread some light on why Flamini was not banned for this game? He should of been banned for this match (final match) But somehow he got 3 games yet all news sites said otherwise? Their was no media covering this and I'd light some insight as Something has gone on without any knowledge?

The FA’s disciplinary rules say:
8. PUNISHMENTS – Relating to First Team Competitive Matches
(a) CAUTIONS ADMINISTERED ON THE FIELD OF PLAY
(i) If a Player accumulates five cautions in FTCM between the opening day of the
Playing Season and 31 December (including any FTCM played on that day) in the
same Season, he will be suspended automatically for a period covering: -
One First Team Match

And also,
 (g). Players dismissed from the Field of Play in a FTCM, having previously in the same season been sent off
in a FTCM (or suspended under the Standard Directions set out in Schedule A in these Regulations for an incident in a FTCM), will be suspended for one extra match for each such previous sending off or suspension, in addition to the automatic suspension applicable to the dismissal. For the purposes of this regulation a previous dismissal in a non FTCM will only be taken into account where it was for violent conduct, serious foul play or spitting.

He had already served a one game ban this season for picking up 5 yellow cards, meaning an extra game is added on.
*FTCM = First Team Competitive Match

Thanks,