Author Topic: RAWK preview - Arsenal v Liverpool 30 Jan 19.45  (Read 52227 times)

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
RAWK preview - Arsenal v Liverpool 30 Jan 19.45
« on: January 28, 2013, 10:53:23 am »
Arsenal v Liverpool

Is it likely that a team which loses to cup fodder at Boundary Park can, three days later, take home all three points against Champions League contenders at the Emirates Stadium? More than a few Rawkites will laugh at the notion – or would do if they weren’t still blubbing like bairns.

Personally I think we’ll do it. The key will be for Brendan Rodgers to expunge the Oldham fiasco from the team brain. His biting post-match address said what needed to be said about that and after such a tirade one presumes that no mention need be made of Oldham ever again. It’s on to Arsenal now and a whole new challenge.

We’re not in a bad position. For the first time in a long time Liverpool have a better squad of players than Arsenal do. For the first time in a long time our prospects look rosier than theirs. For sure, our squad is only marginally better and our prospects are only a tad rosier. But it does mean we can go to north London in genuinely optimistic mood for once. I expect we’ll be out of the blocks quickly, if only to avoid repeating the desperate opening minutes of each half against Oldham. Our best hope is that we can reduce Arsenal to the argumentative, shapeless rabble they were in the opening ’45 against Chelsea. It was an astonishing sight to see players openly berating each other like the Gunners were doing that day. That has to be the aim. 

Of course we tried that at Anfield in the early part of the season. For fifteen minutes or so it looked like Liverpool would dominate the ball and push Arsenal around the pitch – but then Carzola, Arteta and (especially) Diaby began to assert themselves and suddenly our midfield started to fray and tear. Sahin, the slowest footballer in Europe, has gone now and so we won't be as open to capsizal as we were that day. But Arsenal’s strength is in central midfield where Wenger is over-endowed. The brilliant Wilshere is back now of course and Diaby is shaking the rust out of his joints after a long lay off. They also have the promising Coquelin and the experienced Rosicky in reserve. It’s going to be difficult for us to master the centre of the pitch but absolutely vital if we’re going to get anything from this game. Obviously Gerrard and Lucas will be restored. But who will be the third cog? I’d play Joe Allen rather than Henderson - partly because he was one of the few players to perform at Oldham but mainly because he holds his position better and closes down opponents quicker. Rather like Lucas a few seasons ago Allen gets a grossly unfair share of criticism. He may have gone off the boil slightly since the start of the season. But his class is self-evident – or should be to Liverpool supporters. I guess that many of those who don’t see it never will, although – as eventually happened with Lucas – they’ll pretend they do so in order not to appear foolish. 

If we match Arsenal’s midfield we’ll win the game. Why? Because in attack they’re poor and in defence they’re actually useless. Everyone thought Steve Bould had sorted them out defensively at the start of the season. They came to Anfield, I think, without having conceded a goal and while they were there they managed the extraordinary feat of blunting Suarez. But since those early days they’ve disintegrated at the back. Everyone gets goals against them. Mertesacker looks dreadful, especially on that big home pitch of theirs. Vermaelen has looked fallible. Gibbs doesn’t seem to understand the offside law. And even the excellent Sagna has struggled (I’ve been told by Arsenal friends that he’s lost a bit of pace this season).

Up front I’ll stick with what I said for the reverse fixture. Giroud is hopeless and Podolski overrated (although Pepe – please let it be Pepe – will need to watch his shot which is a dangerous weapon and can be unloaded from unusual positions). Then there’s Walcott. If Carragher plays he’ll have loads of room to operate and that will be scary. If Skrtel plays it could be tougher for him, but then is Skrtel in any shape to play after Sunday's bombardment or will he still have shell-shock?

A brief word on us. How much character do we have? This game will tell us. There’s no need to worry about the likes of Suarez. We know his character and it’s indomitable. But what about the new lad Sturridge? How does he react to a bad performance? And, let’s be honest, he absolutely crumbled on Sunday. Will he become subdued for a couple of months or will he play as if the Oldham game never happened? The answer to that question will tell us quite a lot about whether we have a bargain or not.

One thing I think we should be grateful for. We're playing Arsenal on Wednesday and not shitty Stoke. It's the chance for the team to apply what it's learnt without the distraction of having to cope with blood-and-thunder opponents and a supportive referee. This is the kind of game, at a point in the season, which ought to tell us a lot about how far we have progressed since August. I think we'll edge it. 

Please note that RAWK will mute anyone posting just a formation in a Preview thread until the day after the match is over. This is to improve the quality of preview replies. Formations posted alongside rational comments and debate are exempt. Thanks, RAWK.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
Re: RAWK preview - Arsenal v Liverpool 30 Jan 19.45
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 12:53:29 pm »
Many thanks Yorky, great stuff as always.

Please note the warning at the end everyone :wave

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 01:14:45 pm »
Nice intro yorkykopite. I'm with you and love Allen as a player but personally I would revert back to the midfield from the Norwich game. Henderson offers so much energy high up the pitch and closes down the opposition high up the pitch.

One of our biggest weaknesses this season has been long balls to aggressive forwards that our CB's just cannot deal with. Fortunately this isn't one of Arsenals strengths and they will try to pass the ball on the floor.

Our second weakness is being caught on the counter attack and this is where Arsenal got success at Anfield and where they will be dangerous again. We need Lucas to have a really good game on Wednesday.

I believe if we play to potential there is no reason why we can't win this game. Arsenal are not as strong a force as they were in recent seasons and we are steadily improving (ignoring the weekend).

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

royhendo

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 01:15:33 pm »
Of course we tried that at Anfield in the early part of the season. For fifteen minutes or so it looked like Liverpool would dominate the ball and push Arsenal around the pitch – but then Carzola, Arteta and (especially) Diaby began to assert themselves and suddenly our midfield started to fray and tear.

That's where my worry lies - physicality and athleticism in the middle of the park. It's a given that we'll be open - we want to test sides, and we're not as compact as some (it'll be a surprise if we deviate from that). So we need energy and we need presence. That's the big quandary for me for the remainder of the season. We'll win a lot of games because we're an attacking force... but can we lock things down?

My water's telling me it'll be a draw or a narrow loss... but if we let them overrun us, they're more than capable of putting a side to the sword. A big performance is needed! Hopefully we can muster the cornered animal thing when we need it. It'll be sickening if we can't.

Brilliantly written again dude.

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 01:19:44 pm »
One of our biggest weaknesses this season has been long balls to aggressive forwards that our CB's just cannot deal with. Fortunately this isn't one of Arsenals strengths and they will try to pass the ball on the floor.

I think Arsenal will be onto the fact that this is a real area that we are having problems with.

Giroud is 6'2 and very good in the air.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 01:23:45 pm »
I think Arsenal will be onto the fact that this is a real area that we are having problems with.

Giroud is 6'2 and very good in the air.
I can't see them changing the way they have played for years under Wenger to try and exploit one of our weaknesses.

As I said, one of their strengths, and one of our other weaknesses currently, is the counter attack (they have scored the more goals on the counter than any other team). I think they will try to exploit us here.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline liverbnz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 01:24:09 pm »
Excellent preview, thanks.

CB is a real worry for us at the moment. I have visions of Diaby or Walcott running at our back 4 with Carra making a beeline for our goal. We really need to compress the space and not allow Arsenal to play and Carra's bungee rope attached to our crossbar doesn't really allow for that. I'd personally go for Skrtel but will understand BR's reluctance.

In the middle, I'm not sure who I prefer between Henderson and Allen. Both on top form I'd say Allen. Hopefully Lucas has a stormer - he's never managed to dominate Arsenal's middle like he has other midfields.

I also think we might nick this btw. If we don't, there'll be massive pressure come Monday morning for BR as I see us getting nothing from the Etihad.
One thing you will discover is that life is based less than you think on what you've learned, and much more than you think on what you have inside you from the very beginning

Offline Lucas DuoFlush

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Poulsy back!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 01:35:39 pm »
Personally I'd go out their and try to control the midfield and in the process the flow of the game. I don't think trying to hit them on the counter would work so sitting back wouldn't be an option. Given that, I think we should keep possession at all costs and slow the tempo of the game down and kill it off. We can't rely on Lucas to control the game to his prior levels so I'd go for a lineup like the following:

GK, Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Henderson, Lucas, Gerrard, Downing, Allen, Suarez

Henderson and Downing will offer us plenty of cover on the wings and are both technically proficient enough and cautious to keep possession well, whilst a three man midfield of Lucas, Allen and Gerrard should have enough about it to bully a lightweight Arsenal midfield, leaving us with Suarez to (hopefully) create some magic and get us a goal (wouldn't exactly be unheard of).

"Bos non modo animal, sed etiam mater" Lordanem Henderson

Offline MacJanner

• Absolute useless poster; his style of play cons no one into thinking he's a decent writer.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • Lenin doesn't like me.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 01:37:12 pm »
This is THE game of the season so far to be honest. We were in a similar situation last season, and to be honest we played with good enough attacking tempo to get something but they had the best striker in the premier league and finished their two chances and we didn't to put it simply.

Fortunately Arsenal don't play to a style which troubles us mostly, they're more likely to launch attacks through midfield rather than out wide and crossing a ball to a lump up front. However i think Giroud will play and he's the sort of striker causing us plenty of problems at the moment, so who shall we start? Certainly not Coates after that performance at the weekend, but Carragher is hardly a giant burly CB, i remember him getting out muscled by Lukaku on the first day of the season. Skrtel physically should be able to handle these types which coaching you would think, but short-term its a big issue. Wisdom at Centerback?

As for the rest, i think/hope we won't field a 4-2-4 formation again. Lucas and Gerrard will certainly come in and help a great deal, and if Henderson doesn't start with them i might start having my first doubts about Rodgers because this guys engine is exactly what we need to stop Wilshere/Arteta/Cazorla pinging the ball all over the park. I would then play Suarez out on the left (but swapping with Henderson fluidly) Downing on the right and Sturridge down the middle, who i would fancy against Mertesacker.

From a tactical point of view we should get Suarez to float inside and get Vermaelen to get out of possition (which i think is easier than it sounds because hes prone to 'doing a David Luiz'), then pass back to Gerrard/Henderson and use their passing range to get Sturridge/Downing versus Merkesacker. But hey i'm not the manager  :wave

We CANNOT lose this or the fall-out from here and the dressing room will be too much to handle, Spurs have lost arguably their best striker in an unknown but potentially terrible injury. If we win this then we are definitely on the up both literally and mentally, and that Oldham game that we got bossed off the park can just be a bad dream to learn from than a reality check.

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 01:39:30 pm »
A draw is a par result here (if you follow the alternative league table). Therefore a defeat means a loss of only one point from par.

Same goes at the Etihad.

I hope people keep some perspective after a difficult weekend if we don't get anything from those games. It's NOT the end of the world, just a glitch. As long as the performance is promising...

P.S. Last year's game at the Emirates we won 2-1 so surely that has to be the blueprint for success. Though admittedly that was with Steve Clarke organising the defence.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:41:48 pm by johnny74 »

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 01:43:59 pm »
One thing is for certain - win, lose or draw, the morning after a lot of people will be hooked to the stupidly Sky Sports News peddled drug called TDD. Transfer Deadline Day. Drooling like starved hyenas over any titbit that sends their sensations into overdrive.

Especially at Arshnul  ;D

The middle, as everyone thus far has pointed, is where this game will be won or lost. When Arsenal appear to give a shit they are formidable. When lazy and off colour they are there for the taking. When the machine hums they can easily score 4/5 if not more. Both Newcastle and West Ham saw this.

IF we are disciplined and play this match with the same vigour and attention that allowed us to be so clinical against Sunderland and Norwich then this is a cracking match that will be extremely entertaining. If we capitulate for a second and they are on song we've had it

What is most interesting here is the fans. Off the pitch you could argue they are as disjointed if not fractured marginally more than we are. They don't like Wenger, then they do. They hate the board now they love them then they hate again because money not being spent etc etc etc.

Yorkykopite's preview is another great one and he absolutely nails it in respect to character. It's not only the players though... it's us fans too.
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Je99ers

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 01:50:03 pm »
If Liverpool wins this game, they will join Arsenal on the same league points after a same number of league games, but Arsenal may have a better goal difference.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 01:50:37 pm »
Abou Diaby, what a strange, uncomfortable player. Is extremely injury prone, but times his injuries perfectly so that he can come back roaring like a lion whenever Liverpool play Arsenal. Only to get injured soon after that, rinse repeat.

Anyway, regarding the midfield conundrum, I think they will look to outpass us as they always have and that is where we can pick them off. Press them hard from the front, as Koscielny is very shaky when it comes to forwards running at him and pressure their midfield. Arteta is still injured so we will just have to deal with the presence of mystical Diaby and the brilliance of Wilshere. Lucas will have to be on his A game trying to control his passing and movement. I'm confident Gerrard and Henderson/Allen will be able to contend with Diaby and Cazorla.

The main threat for us is not the midfield, but our January transfer target, Walcott. He will constantly switch positions from center to RW and our backline will have to be very careful with his runs behind them. Podolski is another player we will have to watch out for. Been coming back to his best and Wisdom will certainly have his hands full.

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 01:56:23 pm »
I can't see them changing the way they have played for years under Wenger to try and exploit one of our weaknesses.

Not saying that they'll change the way they will set-up and play.

But it's an option for them when we press hard in the midfield, they have the talent to get the ball
up to Giroud who then can get a knock down to Walcott who has the pace to get in behind us.

Just another option for them.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 01:58:12 pm »
Obviously Gerrard and Lucas will be restored. But who will be the third cog? I’d play Joe Allen rather than Henderson

So, I take it from this, that you will be moving Suarez to a wide position?

That is my worry. From the one match I seen with Suarez wide in the prem - was it Sunderland at home, well it was someone - he is not near as involved. He is our best player and so you need him on the ball as much as possible although isolating him against Gibbs might not be a bad idea. When we play Gerrard, Lucas and Allen with Gerrard as the second midfielder too often the striker is isolated. Of course this may be down to Brendan sitting them too deep but I will never be a fan of  Allen as the third midfielder.

As was stated above I'd play Henderson from the left as we did against Norwich as he has the energy to play the two different roles required when we do and dont have the ball, leaving Suarez to operate behind Sturridge.

Sturridge should isolate and destroy Mertesacker, but at the same time I can see Waclott doing the same to JC if he plays.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 02:02:25 pm »
Same as against Norwich, with Reina hopefully fit to return, got to be.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Cocomin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 02:06:46 pm »
jose enrique sanchez ‏@jose3enrique3
Training with the team today after 4 weeks working hard. Can't wait to play again

Really hoping he plays on Wednesday we are strong again with him and Glen at fullback.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 02:09:55 pm »
jose enrique sanchez ‏@jose3enrique3
Training with the team today after 4 weeks working hard. Can't wait to play again

Really hoping he plays on Wednesday we are strong again with him and Glen at fullback.
It would be fantastic if Enrique and Johnson are fit for this one as the full-backs are so important to how we play. Think it might be too early for Enrique though.

It would be pretty much the first time this season we will have a fully fit squad.

Offline Cocomin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 02:11:52 pm »
It would be fantastic if Enrique and Johnson are fit for this one as the full-backs are so important to how we play. Think it might be too early for Enrique though.

It would be pretty much the first time this season we will have a fully fit squad.
I don't know if Pepe is going to be fit or not ? Yeah you're right minus Kelly we are pretty much fighting fit let's hope
we can stay that way for a while.

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 02:12:03 pm »
Great OP mate.

I would disagree about Giroud though.  I know he has come in from a lot of flack.  Mostly from Arsenal fans themselves, and a number of other fans and even members of the press have mocked him this season, but I honestly don't think he is as bad as has been made out.

He hasn't scored goals at a rate of knots, and it should also be remembered that he has been brought in to replace van Persie who last season had a phenominal season, and has (sadly) continued it this season, so the comparrisons were inevitable.  But he has been better than most would give him credit for, especially in his first season in an Arsenal side who has declined in recent seasons.

Giroud has 8 league goals to his name so far despite only starting 13 games, and coming off the bench 9 times.  He has also managed 3 assists.
Walcott has been a revelation since playing in a central role recently.  He has scored 10 goals despite only starting 12 Premier League matches and has come off the bench on 7 occasions.  He has also provided 8 assists so far this season.

So we have to be careful, they are dangerous, and last week against West Ham, they absolutely destroyed them in a 10 minutes spell.

You also pointed towards the first half display against Chelsea a couple of weeks ago.  You're right, they were absolutely dreadful in that first half.  But they absolutely dominated the second half and were unfortunate not to come away with at least a point.

Defensively, they are frail at times.  Mertesacker just doesn't seem to get to grips with the pace of English football, so in attack, we could well cause Arsenal some problems.  Gibbs has genuine pace, so it will be interesting to see if Rodgers puts Sterling up against him. 

The key is, as you said in midfield - Arteta (if available), Wilshere, Santi Cazorla and Diaby could cause us a number of problems if we allow them time and space on the ball.  Midfield is the area we really need to win on Wednesday.  If we come out on top in midfield, I think we can get something from the game, but if we sit back, like we did at Anfield and allow Diaby to steam through our midfield, we could be in trouble.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:17:01 pm by ashleyrose-66 »

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 02:12:14 pm »
The midfield battle should be cracking to watch. Lucas/Allen or Hendo/Gerrard against Diaby who had a stormer at Anfield, alongside Wilshire and Cazorla. Whoever wins this will get the lions share of goalbound opportunities as both teams have players capable of splitting defences and both defences are quite frankly, on shaky grounds.

I think Skrtel should start despite what happened yesterday and resume his pairing with Agger as Walcott is currently on fire. RB is a little concern as Johnson will probably cover LB again and Enrique won't be ready yet.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 02:15:09 pm »
I don't know if Pepe is going to be fit or not ? Yeah you're right minus Kelly we are pretty much fighting fit let's hope
we can stay that way for a while.
Forgot about those two.

Didn't Rodgers say that Pepe will be back next week? So it looks like Jones in goal for this one.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 02:17:00 pm »
Johnson, Enrique and Reina back according to Rodgers.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 02:18:01 pm »
Agree with the OP really.

Diaby and Reina are the keys here.

Lucas has been fully rested, could he have him on lock? Allen for me, looks a little lost playing alongside Lucas, so I'd probably prefer the pace and height of Henderson in the mix there. He should win battles against Wilshere and Cazorla.

A big big game for both teams, with Johnson, Downing & Gerrard back and a little fresher, we could take this narrowly. Who knows maybe we'll get our 2nd penalty of the season.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Cocomin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 02:22:25 pm »
That makes me warm inside it increases our chances no end  :D

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 02:25:11 pm »
Brilliant news that. Can't underestimate how important Johnson and Enrique are to our style of play.

So apart from Kelly we have a fully fit squad.

Offline theredguy03

• Put balls in his mouth and nearly choked
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho- Used to be Man City's tormentor
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 02:26:42 pm »
Nice preview.

I know our record at the Emirates isn't spectular, but I have this sneaky feeling that we will get a victory.

To me keeping Walcott, Wilshere and Cazorla quiet will be key.
My favourite all time LFC player? Tough choice.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 02:39:04 pm »
I'm expecting routine defeats to both Arsenal and Manchester City in the coming week. I can see us trashing West Brom though on the 11th.

This is where we are at - at the moment. Fantastic performances, great wins, positivity one week and getting tonked the next. Arsenal as erratic as they are just have too much for us I feel at their place and there is a world of difference between us and Manchester City and they are pulling away every day.

It will be no disgrace to be hammered in the next two fixtures. But once the dust has settled, I'd expect us to try and get a few wins with the teams we then have ahead of us. The home and away games to Zenit will be interesting and will show the desire and intent of the manager and club in that competition.

I'd suggest everyone take a chill pill, go mental if we win and not go mental if we lose.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 02:48:19 pm »
It appears that this game doesn't really matter, as Rodgers said it isn't a must win.

He was asked if this was must win if we want top 4, is anything mathematically decided if we don't get 3 points? Is our season over if we don't win?
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 02:49:49 pm »
Reina, Henderson, Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Lucas, Shelvey, Gerrard, Sturridge, Suarez. See you after the match.

Please note that RAWK will mute anyone posting just a formation in a Preview thread until the day after the match is over. This is to improve the quality of preview replies. Formations posted alongside rational comments and debate are exempt. Thanks, RAWK.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:38:53 pm by Hinesy »
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 02:50:59 pm »
Rodgers looked as angry I've seen him in his press conference today. No usual joking with the media, wasn't willing to say too much and once again reiterated that some of the younger players won't have much of a future here if they have the attitude they had yesterday.

I expect a reaction on Wednesday. Have a feeling we'll see Downing, Sturridge and Suarez up front. Gerrard, Henderson and Lucas. The back 4 should pick itself.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 02:51:08 pm »
Reina, Henderson, Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Lucas, Shelvey, Gerrard, Sturridge, Suarez.
You were warned. 3 days off.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:59:20 pm by The 5th Benitle »

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 02:54:47 pm »
They were saying during his presser that this will be the first time he's managed a team at the Emirates.  What happened to him last season then to miss the game?
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 02:59:30 pm »
CONFIDENCE!

this is the key word and the only relevant issue regarding this game(and the City game aswell). It doesn't matter what tactics or team selection will be, it's secondary, compared to this I'd dare to say it's irrelevant.

IF, and it's a big IF, we go out there confident that we can win and get the 3 points then and only then(!!) do things like tactics and team selection actually matter.

But if we go out there like we did at OT(almost always, not only this season) then we will lose, plain and simple.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 03:15:01 pm »
we don't have to control the midfield to beat arsenal.

we just need to attack their back line directly.it's where they are most vulnerable.
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline LucasLeiva

• Anny Roader
  • Remember My Name
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 03:27:08 pm »
I can't see us beating Arsenal, we seem to always struggle against them. Can see us beating City though. I would keep the midfield of Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson because I think Henderson allows Gerrard more freedom because of his workrate and he keeps the ball well and gives it to the more creative players, simple but effective in most games.

Downing, Suarez and Sturridge up top for me, 2 of them obvious and I think Downing should start out of merit, he has been in good form and played a lot better against Oldham than Sterling or Borini managed to do. With those selections our bench should look quite tasty with Sterling, Borini, Shelvey, Suso all to come on and provide different options.

Not sure about the back 4, Skrtel is the best option to partner Agger but Carragher is a leader and in a game like this I wouldn't moan about Carragher being selected in the slightest.

Heart: 2-1 to us
Head: 2-0 Arsenal

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 03:29:20 pm »
They were saying during his presser that this will be the first time he's managed a team at the Emirates.  What happened to him last season then to miss the game?

His father died.  Nice of whoever it was to bring it up at the press conference eh?

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 03:33:57 pm »

Yeah, his father died if I recall correctly. They played very well and were deserved of the three points in my opinion but they were messing around in defence and then conceded a cheap goal because of it.

Rodgers had never been to Upton Park either before this season, let's hope for a similar result to that one :)

Offline tomrob1989

• Main Stander
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 03:41:16 pm »
Has to be the same team as Norwich, maybe with Reina.

I wonder if we feel any fatigue from Oldham? We definitely got more kicks than Arsenal did off Brighton.

I think we are the better side on paper, and we have been playing well recently so should have enough to beat them, but Oldham could be a real blow to our confidence, and maybe they will be a little fitter and more ready than us.

That said, 3-1 to us. Suarez in the 13th, Podolski after 29, Suarez in the 57th and Sturridge with the last kick of the game on the counter.
THE WORD NEEDS SPREADING:
HE'S A HORRIBLE MAN, AND THE MEDIA MUST REALISE
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alan-Pardew-is-a-Twat/538082336210344

Offline tomrob1989

• Main Stander
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 03:42:56 pm »
we don't have to control the midfield to beat arsenal.

we just need to attack their back line directly.it's where they are most vulnerable.

I agree, but since when does Rodgers change his game plan depending on the team? We will try to control possession and attack the opposition in the same way we always do. Hopefully we will still have just about enough.
THE WORD NEEDS SPREADING:
HE'S A HORRIBLE MAN, AND THE MEDIA MUST REALISE
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alan-Pardew-is-a-Twat/538082336210344