Author Topic: Glen McLeod Cooper Johnson  (Read 68291 times)

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Glen McLeod Cooper Johnson
« Reply #280 on: December 16, 2013, 03:14:52 am »
I do feel like he needs to up his game. I don't know if lack of competition is a factor, but he hasn't been that good this season.

He's had a few great games - Stoke home, United home and recently Fulham home - but he can be woefully inconsistent. Decision-marking, consistency and concentration are definitely his biggest weaknesses. I like him as a player when he's having a 9/10 peformance, but unfortunately we don't get many of those these days, do we? I was very critical toward the back end of last season and felt like a bit of a tit when he started this season well; however, he really hasn't recovered since the game against United, in my opinion. And aren't there some sort of contract talks looming? I like Glen and all - he seems like a genuinely nice fellow - but I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone is bought in an upcoming window and his future in this team is put in jeopardy.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 03:23:44 am by Kopenhagen »
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: December 16, 2013, 03:19:59 am »
His body language just isn't good. He's given possession away cheaply bcos he just can't be arsed to work harder going forward. Good thing Sterling put in an extra shift on Glen's behalf

Offline perth-red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #282 on: December 16, 2013, 03:55:57 am »
His body language just isn't good. He's given possession away cheaply bcos he just can't be arsed to work harder going forward. Good thing Sterling put in an extra shift on Glen's behalf
Agreed. The frustrating thing is he's capable of putting in a world class performance but looks like he can't be arsed most games. We really need a player to provide him good competition for the RB position.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #283 on: December 16, 2013, 05:07:56 am »
(What a name!)

He struggled a bit and not only in this game. Allowed a few free headers and from that in the 30th min they should have scored, but we got lucky. Still, his attacking support is pretty decent.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline serpentnebula

• Main Stander
« Reply #284 on: December 16, 2013, 05:23:57 am »
I'm still on the fence as to whether he should get a new contract from us or not. I feel that considering his reputation and wages, we should be getting a lot more out of him. Whether we could bring someone in of equal or superior quality if he was allowed to go, I'm not sure. Hopefully we won't just let his contract wind down and end up losing him for a pittance.

Offline liverpooll

• I am right, you are wrong, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Just does not get it. Also does not get that he does not get it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: December 16, 2013, 06:49:52 am »
With the England manager watching yesterday's game, he should be very worried. Both English RBs, Johnson and Walker had their troubles and really cannot be a definite selection for the WC squad.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: December 16, 2013, 07:02:19 am »
With the England manager watching yesterday's game, he should be very worried. Both English RBs, Johnson and Walker had their troubles and really cannot be a definite selection for the WC squad.

worried with?

as seen in today's match, Kyle 'cafu' Walker was as shite as his team performance.  Even Flanagan got the better of him earning walker his yellow card.

Johnson have nothing to worry about his right back spot for England to be honest.  He has been playing well even though Chadli was giving him a hard time yesterday.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: December 16, 2013, 07:39:03 am »
Thought Glen was our best in 2012... but has really struggled in 2013. Had the bad injury a few months ago. Wonder what's up with him.

Offline liverpooll

• I am right, you are wrong, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Just does not get it. Also does not get that he does not get it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: December 16, 2013, 07:54:46 am »
worried with?

as seen in today's match, Kyle 'cafu' Walker was as shite as his team performance.  Even Flanagan got the better of him earning walker his yellow card.

Johnson have nothing to worry about his right back spot for England to be honest.  He has been playing well even though Chadli was giving him a hard time yesterday.

Lol. Johnson was poor and he himself should or certainly many fans are worried about his form (or lack of it). He needs to step it up as there is absolutely no guarantee that he will be in England team.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #289 on: December 16, 2013, 08:33:41 am »
Im beginning to believe his head isnt in it. I can see him leaving in the summer to be honest. Havent we offered him a contract and he's turned it down? His perfomances of late (last month or so) are of a player who doesnt seem committed to the cause. He stuck out like a sore thumb yesterday.

I know he's got a lot of support on here and alot think he's the best RB in the world but im sorry I just cant see it. I've lost confidence in him completely. He cant stop a cross and his composure and passing ability is partically non existant. The one good thing about him is his forward play but I dont think that over compensates for the fact he cant defend.

If he doesnt want to be here, let him go and get someone in who does.
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: December 16, 2013, 08:36:43 am »
It's weird after a 5-0 rout in which we could have had even more you'd think we'd be talking up every player, but for me Johnson still stood out as the one under performer.  He wasn't bad, he just seemed to give the ball away more than most and not look to be up to full speed.  It has to be in his head imo as he seems fit enough.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #291 on: December 16, 2013, 08:38:30 am »
It's weird after a 5-0 rout in which we could have had even more you'd think we'd be talking up every player, but for me Johnson still stood out as the one under performer.  He wasn't bad, he just seemed to give the ball away more than most and not look to be up to full speed.  It has to be in his head imo as he seems fit enough.
We did lose the ball a few times, its just spurs weren't good enough to exploit it

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #292 on: December 16, 2013, 08:48:23 am »
He was definitely carried by a very impressive team performance yesterday. He's not playing anywhere near the level we would expect of him. A few weeks ago I was saying to my other half that when we have played well he looks like a world beater, but at the minute he isn't giving enough of those performances, too many bad/average ones. The amount of times he gives the ball away is shocking, even yesterday with the team playing well he seemed to be the one who was lagging behind everyone else in terms of energy and general play. Disappointing, because he's one of the players who should be excelling under Brendan Rodgers. He's only 29 and for a fullback that isn't at all old. Perhaps he's unfit or there is something going on behind the scenes, but people can no longer make excuses for him and the phrase 'still one of the best fullbacks in the league' cannot be attributed to him. He doesn't give enough of those performances to warrant that. Compare him with a Zabaleta for example, and he falls way short.

On the ball he can be brilliant - bringing it forward and cutting inside, almost running across the pitch to create space/make angles. That's what we miss when he's not there, someone who isn't afraid to take people on from that area or exploit the spaces coming inside.

I think there's room in this squad for two first choice fullbacks, and if one of those were at the expense of Glen then I don't think I'd be too bothered.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: December 16, 2013, 08:53:45 am »
Bollocks to you all.

He's a beast.

Yes he gave the ball away about three times, Allen did it twice, no it's not great, but Glen is being slagged all over the place while Joe is back to being the new Xavi. Truth as usual is nowhere near the extremes.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #294 on: December 16, 2013, 08:54:39 am »
We're forgetting that "McLeod" is not exactly a spring-chicken anymore and that he operates as a wingback. Sprinting up and down that flank, being involved in both attack and defense, week-in-week out, will take a lot out of most- not to mention an ageing fullback.

Yes, we need to start looking for a replacement, but Glen's absolutely vital to us- on-song or not.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #295 on: December 16, 2013, 08:56:37 am »
He was no where as bad as some are making out but we all know he can be better and thats disappointing on a day when he seemed be a bit lacklustre without being unkind.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #296 on: December 16, 2013, 08:59:07 am »
Poor 1st half. Improved considerably in the 2nd.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: December 16, 2013, 10:31:07 am »
If you believe the WhoScored ratings he's having a storming season. I don't think he is though, really, and I lost track of how often he was beaten by his man yesterday, crosses flew in from the right. Going forward he's still a real asset. He seems patchy to me but statistically he's doing well, so who knows.

Offline BigRed100

• Main Stander
  • Fowler09
« Reply #298 on: December 16, 2013, 10:44:26 am »
worst player in a red shirt yesterday I thought, and that was weird enough for me because as a team I thought we were excellent. He looks out of sorts in general - lack of competition is clearly an issue, he knows he's starting every match for us anyway. Bring Flanno across to the right wing and give Johson a kick up the arse maybe?

Surely Kelly can't be far off now?
Sex Panther... 60% of the time, it works EVERY time!

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #299 on: December 16, 2013, 10:47:23 am »
Johnson may not being pulling up any tree's at the moment, but its amazing how quickly people forget how much we missed him when he was out.

He's doing alright, no better no worse. Much more in the tank though, and hopefully he'll get back up there in the coming weeks.

Offline BUSHMILLS

• PEBBLEHOUSE. Your auntie's agent provocateur.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never ask what's under his patio
« Reply #300 on: December 16, 2013, 11:34:05 am »
Bollocks to you all.

He's a beast.

Yes he gave the ball away about three times, Allen did it twice, no it's not great, but Glen is being slagged all over the place while Joe is back to being the new Xavi. Truth as usual is nowhere near the extremes.

Johnson stank yesterday, and has done for several games now. He's doing nothing at all to justify his starting place.

As for Allen, he's had a couple of good games on the bounce and looks to be growing in confidence. But comparisons with Xavi would be mad. Not that I've heard any.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: December 16, 2013, 11:36:43 am »
Does he need competition?

Kelly doesn't seem to get a sniff atm.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: December 16, 2013, 11:36:53 am »
Classic case of a player stagnating due to no competition for his place. He's guaranteed games, and it's doing him/us no favours.

He's been poor for a solid month or so now.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: December 16, 2013, 11:38:12 am »
He plays out of neccesity. And I think he knows it too, we'll never not start him because we lose too much. But someone needs to point him to Reina. You're never too good, or too well liked - Rodgers will ship you out if you don't perform.

He's a fantastic player when he wants to be. Just get your head in the game son.

Offline OldBloke

• Kopite
  • In the 5th, my ass goes down.
« Reply #304 on: December 16, 2013, 11:39:47 am »
The point is that Glen Johnson is one of the most gifted footballers in Liverpool's squad and we expect a lot better than what he did yesterday. It's not that he was outstandingly bad, just nowhere near what he can be.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: December 16, 2013, 11:50:09 am »
Bollocks to you all.

He's a beast.

Come on, mate, some of his decisions were awful yesterday and he's been poor since the Fulham game.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #306 on: December 16, 2013, 12:00:54 pm »
His form is not good and it seems his concentration is awful hence him being unable to find his man when passing as we move from defence to attack.

He lost his driving licence last week under the totting up rules and has a 6 month ban. I wonder if this has been hanging over him for a while and he has allowed it to affect his job. Anyway he is not helping himself if he does want a new contract.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline 10 Yards Offside

• Main Stander
  • we wait
« Reply #307 on: December 16, 2013, 12:27:32 pm »
Johnson stank yesterday, and has done for several games now. He's doing nothing at all to justify his starting place.

Not even that left footed shot that might have gone in on another day that I doubt any other right back would have been able to pull off?

He struggled to deal with Chadli a bit and was neutered going forward, but knows how to attack from fullbacks with a nuance that few in world football can.
“What did you think of the penalty?” asked a reporter
“What do you mean?” asked Dalglish.
“The handball,” said the reporter.
“Exactly,” said Dalglish.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #308 on: December 16, 2013, 12:37:56 pm »

Yup. Too casual at times. Hope he steps up a bit or more.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #309 on: December 16, 2013, 01:06:53 pm »
"Instead, Flanagan proved the doubters wrong. His pass accuracy of 89 per cent was almost 20 per cent better than Johnson on the opposite flank." (from Sky Sports http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/301359/analysis )

He gave the ball away needlessly yesterday and on two occasions could have led to a goalscoring opportunity had we been playing an inform team. He can bring so much more to this team but isn't showing it for whatever reason. It's only our lack of suitable alternatives that are keeping him in the team, IMO.

If a decent bid comes in for him, I honestly think BR would let him go.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: December 16, 2013, 01:08:19 pm »
"Instead, Flanagan proved the doubters wrong. His pass accuracy of 89 per cent was almost 20 per cent better than Johnson on the opposite flank." (from Sky Sports http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/301359/analysis )

He gave the ball away needlessly yesterday and on two occasions could have led to a goalscoring opportunity had we been playing an inform team. He can bring so much more to this team but isn't showing it for whatever reason. It's only our lack of suitable alternatives that are keeping him in the team, IMO.

If a decent bid comes in for him, I honestly think BR would let him go.

Indeed, I don't want to shit on anyone after yesterday but he's been poor recently, maybe it's the contract situation?

Couple times he seemed to get caught up field out of position too
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline carra1892

• Kopite
  • G+H, fucking c*nts
« Reply #311 on: December 16, 2013, 01:14:14 pm »
Johnson's right hand side was the only worry of the game. Tottenham were allowed to have too many crosses in which gave uncertainty for the defenders. Compare it to Flannagan's which was rock solid. He needs to improve.
Dutch Red Patrick

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: December 16, 2013, 02:59:12 pm »
One thing that is interesting and I've only noticed recently is Johnson playing long balls. Against Hull it was awful but you can see how a quick back to front can catch the opposition. Out of 5 long balls none hit their mark yesterday but one resulted in a corner and another resulted in Lloris heading it to Suarez, who probably ought to have buried his chance.

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: December 16, 2013, 07:53:12 pm »
Plays like he can't be arsed. When you look at Johnson's 2013 displays and consider how gifted  he is, it puts displays puts into sharper focus how fucking lazy he is. Maybe Mourinho and Hodgson were right about him? Johnson has the twice the ability Finnan ever had yet, the difference in effectiveness is like night and day at the moment. 

Offline alexthomas1989

• Main Stander
« Reply #314 on: December 16, 2013, 07:56:32 pm »
He was letting Chadli get to the byline a bit easily for my liking. Seemed a bit half arsed in his efforts to stop the ball in once he'd started to get beaten by him too.

Still an absolute gem of a full back to have at home against most sides.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #315 on: December 17, 2013, 01:14:35 am »
Classic case of a player stagnating due to no competition for his place. He's guaranteed games, and it's doing him/us no favours.

He's been poor for a solid month or so now.

He's been below par for the most part barring the odd game every few weeks since January international break. That far back.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: December 17, 2013, 02:41:26 am »
Think he's gone in the summer.
He's simply too inconsistent. On his day he's fantastic and one of the best RBs around but his day just seems to get rarer and rarer. Not an absolute priority of a position, but I'd be somewhat disappointed if Johnson was in our starting XI on the first day of next season.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: December 17, 2013, 03:12:50 am »
I still think he's essential to how we play at the moment. He does have a tendency to give the ball away a bit too often for my liking but he's still great going forward and making good runs to create space for other players. He gives us the width necessary on that right hand side. The only thing I think is that he's losing his agility. He is 29 though so it's understandable he's not gonna be a spring chicken. Still a 1st team player and an important one.

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: December 17, 2013, 03:19:05 am »
I still think he's essential to how we play at the moment. He does have a tendency to give the ball away a bit too often for my liking but he's still great going forward and making good runs to create space for other players. He gives us the width necessary on that right hand side. The only thing I think is that he's losing his agility. He is 29 though so it's understandable he's not gonna be a spring chicken. Still a 1st team player and an important one.
  I have to agree - we need wing backs rather than FBs for how we play and he fits that role.  He's just not very good defensively so we will always be vulnerable at the back but he is important to how we play as he gives us great width. 

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: December 17, 2013, 03:47:35 am »

29 should be peak of his career for a defender. Still got 2-3 years before physically I'd expect a decline.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.