Author Topic: Glen McLeod Cooper Johnson  (Read 68559 times)

Offline pompeyred

• lock up your bins
  • Anny Roader
  • NO PEACE TILL JUSTICE IS DONE JUSTICE FOR THE 97
Glen McLeod Cooper Johnson
« on: November 23, 2013, 06:25:06 pm »
Glen Johnson, could not find a thread for him so i start a post,
In my 42 years as a Liverpool supporter i never would criticise a Liverpool player, that was until Vadimir Scmicer used to wind me up on practically a weekly basis, bless his legendary heart.
Now for me Glen Johnson has stepped in to those boots, i cant help watching him closely when ever he plays for us.
and seem to think he plays a part in most of the goals scored or threats on goal against us, alright hes a defender and should be involved around defensive situations.
But id like to know if theres a stat that says goals conceded involving a glen johnson mistake.
and what that ratio would be compared to all the goals we have conceded, because to me he seems to be involved in them most of the time.
is it time he was moved on? or can some one teach him the basics on marking a man.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 10:59:35 pm by Baaneigh_Rubble »
SOS Member #6283

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Glen Johnson
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 06:29:13 pm »
Glen Johnson, could not find a thread for him so i start a post,

But id like to know if theres a stat that says goals conceded involving a glen johnson mistake.
and what that ratio would be compared to all the goals we have conceded, because to me he seems to be involved in them most of the time.

Please someone find this, then it would shut muppets like this up and would banish the old myth of Johnson can't defend.

Yeh it was his fault that he couldn't mark Lukaku, lets ignore the fact he never should have been given that responsibility in the first fucking place.
Rafa Benitez: "Ill always keep in my heart the good times Ive had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline 666

• Legacy Fan
  • "وقدم ليفربول بالنسبة لي وقدم الأول لليفر
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 06:30:04 pm »
In

He surely must be sold. But there aren't too many good fullbacks out there... If we could get 10 mill then it would be great. What was he doing for the third goal?
"Ливерпуль игроки должны играть, как лев, дать его все. Там должно быть определение, приверженность и решимость быть игроком Ливерпуля".

"Так Роджер Хант пропустив кілька, але він потрапляє в потрібне місце, щоб пропустити їх." ~ Білл Шенклі з репортером

Maestro di lingue, conquistatore del mondo.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 06:32:19 pm »
In

He surely must be sold. But there aren't too many good fullbacks out there... If we could get 10 mill then it would be great. What was he doing for the third goal?

Jesus. On list of issues we have. He isn't one.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 06:32:30 pm »
love watching glen, he's like a thoroughbred racehorse
'When they start singing 'Youll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when Ive actually been crying while Ive been playing'

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 06:32:42 pm »
Please someone find this, then it would shut muppets like this up and would banish the old myth of Johnson can't defend.

Yeh it was his fault that he couldn't mark Lukaku, lets ignore the fact he never should have been given that responsibility in the first fucking place.

He also tried a stupid pass that led to possession being lost and the Lucas foul for one of their goals. He was poor today, but he can defend usually.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 06:34:45 pm »
Thought he was poor today but he is key to how we play especially at home.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 06:34:53 pm »
As has been said he is the least of our worries at the moment. Look how we struggled in that position when he was injured recently.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Dingle Red

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in the red and white kop
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 06:35:38 pm »
Am I in?

What a load of Shite, wasn't his best game today but take Glen out that team and he's missed terribly.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jrgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 06:36:10 pm »
Johnson has always been defensively weak. Usually that was offset by his attacking prowess, but this season he has been over-shadowed in that department by the players ahead of him, while defensively he has continued to look suspect.

Of course, it should be noted that he's not helped by his midfield. Take today for instance, he makes a mistake up front, Everton break and tear through the midfield and go one-on-one with Mignolet. Lack of pace and athleticism in front of him serves to expose his defensive naivety.

Mind you, Johnson is 29, perhaps he will end up being sold soon anyway...
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 06:44:36 pm »

I keep saying this but no one listens. Irrelevant of that, he gave away the ball so much today in terrible areas. Two examples off the top of my had-

Our throw in right up Everton's end of the pitch, he tries a stupid back heel which leads to an immediate break away from them resulting in what should've been an Everton goal (3 v 2 if I remember correctly). You can say he was trying something to break them down, but at the time we were 2-1 up. Just keep the thing and playing simple.

Next example...

When they won the free-kick for evertons 2nd, did anyone see his ridiculous loose chip he played between two of our players, giving away the ball and causing the foul to be mad? It was so bad and right before we conceded that I thought to myself, if we concede that's because of Johnson pissing about with it in the wrong area.

We give the ball away way too much when we're pressured, but Johnson is a major culprit. He continually did it today and its so frustrating. Attacking wise he is excellent, defending wise he is 'meh', but keeping the ball for us when we have the lead or dont need a goal he is poor.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 06:47:02 pm »
Am I in?

What a load of Shite, wasn't his best game today but take Glen out that team and he's missed terribly.
I was going to say the same, but you beat me to it.
Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.
Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.
W

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 06:47:52 pm »
Best fullback in the league. If he is our biggest problem we must be doing something right.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline Cattive Maniere

• Legacy Fan
  • Mentalita Ultras
    • bettingtips365
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 06:49:01 pm »
he needs proper competition, thats all really

Online Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 06:49:21 pm »
Wouldn't swap for any other right back in the league.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 06:49:54 pm »
Best fullback in the league. If he is our biggest problem we must be doing something right.

Well he's not.

He's good and I don't subscribe to the notion that he should be dropped, but he's not the best fullback in the league.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 06:49:56 pm »
Johnson has always been defensively weak. Usually that was offset by his attacking prowess, but this season he has been over-shadowed in that department by the players ahead of him, while defensively he has continued to look suspect.

Of course, it should be noted that he's not helped by his midfield. Take today for instance, he makes a mistake up front, Everton break and tear through the midfield and go one-on-one with Mignolet. Lack of pace and athleticism in front of him serves to expose his defensive naivety.

Mind you, Johnson is 29, perhaps he will end up being sold soon anyway...

Who the hell is ahead of Johnson in his department?

Offline The Gigi

• Legacy Fan
  • Where once we watched the King Kenny play
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 06:51:57 pm »
I anticipate a lot of knee-jerk posts in this thread today  ::). He was poor today, that's true, but we know how we missed him when he is not here, especially at home.

Not our N1 priority for me in terms of upgrade.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2013, 06:53:21 pm »
Do we really need to make player threads after every one game someone plays well or bad in?

It gets rather boring

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 06:54:02 pm »
he's hot and cold
YNWA

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 06:54:38 pm »
He was poor today. Not only did he let Lukaku go for their 3rd goal. He was partly at fault for their 2nd. Fucking fannying around with it on the edge of the area, then loses it and forces Lucas into giving a silly free-kick away which lead to their 2nd equaliser. He did a similar thing in the first half that nearly cost us as well but, Lucas tracked backed and knocked it out for a corner.

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 07:00:35 pm »
He was poor today. Not only did he let Lukaku go for their 3rd goal. He was partly at fault for their 2nd. Fucking fannying around with it on the edge of the area, then loses it and forces Lucas into giving a silly free-kick away which lead to their 2nd equaliser. He did a similar thing in the first half that nearly cost us as well but, Lucas tracked backed and knocked it out for a corner.

I just watched that 2nd goal again on the video thread and I just dont know what he is thinking. That little chip straight to Ross Barkley is mental. He's not even under much pressure.

So frustrating.

Offline Asco

• Boys Pen
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2013, 07:05:41 pm »
he's a good player, has got better as he has gone on at liverpool but still prone to idiocy

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2013, 07:11:02 pm »
Deary me. I've criticized him before - the back half of last season especially - but he's been good this season. Today was his only real howler, and I think he had a better game than Skrtel & Agger.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2013, 07:15:50 pm »
Funny - two/three weeks ago people were lamenting his absence and wishing he was back - noticing how much we miss him and how good a player he actually is.

One game where it doesn't go our way and the pitchforks are bakc out...anyone would think we're in the bottom half of the table...
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2013, 07:16:32 pm »
Having a good season. Had a poor derby
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 07:20:19 pm »
GrkStav likes this ;)

Lets get our issues in midfield sorted first, then get some cover for Glen. It will be tough to upgrade Johnson for anything under 15m as on his day (most days) he is phenomenal, but he does need some competition hopefully from a youngster coming into his maturity (22-24) who can take his place in a couple of years.

Makes me laugh, when he's out he is the most important player in the team and when he is in and has a bad game he should be sold.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 07:22:57 pm »
One of our best and essential players with regards to how we play. When he plays well, WE play well.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2013, 07:23:24 pm »
Makes me laugh, when he's out he is the most important player in the team and when he is in and has a bad game he should be sold.

I know, right? He definitely needs some competition - 22-24 year old understudy, as you mentioned, would be great - but to completely bin him after one poor performance, when he's had some borderline MotM games a few months back?  :butt
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2013, 07:23:37 pm »
I dont think anyone with sense would suggest he should be dropped, but he is prone to stupid mistakes, and in the long term I would like us to find someone more steady than him. But he's getting on anyway and we all know he wants to end up in Spain, so he will be replaced in the next couple of seasons I imagine, whether by someone worse or better, time will tell.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2013, 07:23:53 pm »
I think he's great because of his athleticism and mentality but you do have to put up with his lapses in concentration. There are more consistent full backs out there but few that offer what he does on his good days. An upgrade would cost at least 15m and I think we have more pressing concerns that money needs throwing at.

Offline pompeyred

• lock up your bins
  • Anny Roader
  • NO PEACE TILL JUSTICE IS DONE JUSTICE FOR THE 97
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2013, 07:24:25 pm »
Funny - two/three weeks ago people were lamenting his absence and wishing he was back - noticing how much we miss him and how good a player he actually is.

One game where it doesn't go our way and the pitchforks are bakc out...anyone would think we're in the bottom half of the table...

not at all mate, ive been going to games for 30 years, not as regular as i would like, but ive picked up on him for at least 2 years now, you would have heard me if your sat next to me "FFS JOHNSON" time and time again, compared to his frailties his good stuff is not worth having in my opinion. would rather see a work like solid defender in that position.
SOS Member #6283

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2013, 07:25:24 pm »
Johnson is possibly our most important player after Suarez and Sturridge.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2013, 07:30:53 pm »
not at all mate, ive been going to games for 30 years, not as regular as i would like, but ive picked up on him for at least 2 years now, you would have heard me if your sat next to me "FFS JOHNSON" time and time again, compared to his frailties his good stuff is not worth having in my opinion. would rather see a work like solid defender in that position.

I know it's just your opinion, but you are wrong. And it annoys the fuck out of me at the match to hear people moaning at him.

He's an excellent right back, he's much better at defending than he ever gets credited for, and he's superb going forward. He's a great athlete with a powerful engine, decent shot, moves at pace and capable of a nice pass on occasion.

I honestly think the reason he gets so much stick is the fact he's so noticeable. he gets everywhere. Because he's always involved, never hides, and is a real threat, even if it doesn't always come off.

So I think the moaners are completely wrong, and are somehow missing his qualities whilst exaggerating his faults.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2013, 07:31:33 pm »
Poor today and he's not really got going properly since he came back from injury.
Still think he's the best right back in the league when he's firing on all cylinders.
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2013, 07:32:22 pm »

You put a "work like solid" defender there and you lose the attacking impetus. The side loses an attacking outlet and it's back to square one. The way the team is setup we need attacking full backs - the issue is central midfield.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline LFCTikiTaka

• Bedwetter
  • Kopite
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2013, 07:34:46 pm »
I think his "attacking prowess" is overrated by a lot of people on here. His crossing is poor and he often ends up losing the ball by trying to dribble everyone or shoot with his left foot, and that happens time and time again. Nevertheless, we have far more pressing concerns at the minute to worry about.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 07:36:18 pm by LFCTikiTaka »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2013, 09:03:10 pm »
I just watched that 2nd goal again on the video thread and I just dont know what he is thinking. That little chip straight to Ross Barkley is mental. He's not even under much pressure.

So frustrating.

I know mate. I was thinking that myself when he was doing it.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2013, 09:06:02 pm »
Poor today and he's not really got going properly since he came back from injury.
Still think he's the best right back in the league when he's firing on all cylinders.
IMO blows hot and cold for me he is either 8/10 or 4/10 you never get a solid 7/10 every game.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2013, 09:07:26 pm »
IMO blows hot and cold for me he is either 8/10 or 4/10 you never get a solid 7/10 every game.

He was very consistent throughout 2011/12 and the first half of Rodgers time here.