Author Topic: Qatari's plan football tournament....  (Read 8876 times)

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
Re: Qatari's plan football tournament....
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2013, 02:05:27 pm »

From Oli Kay's webchat today

Oliver Kay:
Right
1) Cahiers du Football was absolutely not the source of my story -- 100 per cent, 1,000 per cent, 175 million per cent. I have copious amounts of handwritten notes, as well as e-mails and texts, that would confirm this.
Wednesday March 13, 2013 13:59

Oliver Kay:
2) I have no idea what CdF's modus operandi is. They claim to have made their story up -- right down to the "Dream Football League" logo that appeared on their story, which has also been on e-mails that have been sent to me by the prime source of my story
Wednesday March 13, 2013 14:00

Oliver Kay:
3) I'm absolutely not the type of journalist to run a story of this magnitude -- which would invite scepticism in any case, never mind when there are claims being made by a French website that they made it up -- on the basis of a single source. And particularly not a source that, by its own admission, is low on credibility. If anything, I'm risk-averse as a journalist. If I was the type to take punts based on what one person had told me, I would have run the Harry Redknapp sacking story on the day of England-Belgium last June (about ten days before it could actually get stood up) and the Kenny Dalglish sacking story two days before it happened. Would I really risk my reputation on something like this? No.

Oliver Kay:
4) I've spoken to the original source again twice today and to several other important figures who are keen to add their input. Still nothing on the record, which is a frustration. But there is more where this came from, which should tell you that, no, this didn't come from some "satirical" French website.
Wednesday March 13, 2013 14:05
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 02:12:19 pm by filopastry »

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2013, 02:12:58 pm »
Here comes the money and there goes football.

Worried we have already started to drive a good few miles down this road.

Offline Los back. Thanks.

• Legacy Fan
Qatari's plan football tournament....
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2013, 02:49:11 pm »
Disgusting and soulless

Offline RedRedTom

• Knows how to get you there. Finding his thrills on Denmark Hill
  • Legacy Fan
  • Luis Garcia, he drinks sangria
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2013, 03:32:07 pm »
Seriously, fuck off with this shit.
Luis Garcia... tries his luck........

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2013, 04:13:17 pm »

so every other fucker was taken in by it then, including his sources etc? 

I went out at lunch and Keys & Gray must have been discussing it because they decided to let the listeners know that what they had been discussing was a potential hoax and some chap was coming on to tell them why

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2013, 04:45:49 pm »
it's probably a hoax but then again whos to say nothing like this will happen in football in the next 5 to 10 years the way things are going
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2013, 12:15:37 pm »
Kay's still carrying the story in today's Times so he seems convinced it has some truth behind it, for now though he doesn't believe there is much support for it from leading clubs.

Offline Outer Mongolian Red

• Rafa ran over my dog. Then shot it. Fact
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2013, 01:53:52 pm »
It really doesn't surprise me , being a Qatari myself i can see what they are trying to achieve, and that is mass publicity across the board. Sigh
;D  Mate of mine and me are the same, everyone swears we are brothers when we're out. He calls me slaphead, I call him slaphead, so when I see him I go "slap" and he replies "slap. People be looking and thinking what the f**k are these 2 on  ;D
but he's a blue nose, so he's a c*nt

as per "Slaphead" on the 10th May 2018

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2013, 02:16:37 pm »
Am led to believe The Times ran an apology / explanation of why they got this wrong.

Has anyone seen it...?
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2013, 06:56:56 pm »
Well, just because it's fake - doesn't mean we can't still get upset about it? ;)
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline MHLC

• My Horse Likes Cheese
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2013, 09:21:37 pm »
Hugely embarrassing for Oli Kay, which is a shame as he seems a thoroughly decent fella based on past communication with him.

We've had Evans declaring "China to buy LFC" and now Kay's "Dream Football League" hoax.

What next for the LFC contingent at The Times? Tony Barrett announcing "Russia to nuke Mancs in exchange for Suarez to Zenit"  ?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2013, 09:29:11 pm »
Hugely embarrassing for Oli Kay, which is a shame as he seems a thoroughly decent fella based on past communication with him.

We've had Evans declaring "China to buy LFC" and now Kay's "Dream Football League" hoax.

What next for the LFC contingent at The Times? Tony Barrett announcing "Russia to nuke Mancs in exchange for Suarez to Zenit"  ?
The china story was true though.....
It came to nothing, but it wasn't a con
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2013, 09:36:48 pm »
Ouch, that's pretty embarassing.  Shame, because I like the Times football writers, at least since they got rid of that bellend Barclay.

Offline MHLC

• My Horse Likes Cheese
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2013, 10:05:09 pm »
The china story was true though.....

I doubt anyone here can make such a definitive claim. There was so much misinformation and briefings flying around at the time in the media and forums (remember Bamba, Yahya Kirdi, Square 1 Consulting and Marc Ganis?) and possibly even the club that it's difficult to say the bid was genuine.

I say this as someone who talked directly to and knows the identity of "Bamba". I bought into a lot of what he said at the time and still believe it was done in good faith, but now seriously doubt the veracity of the original claims made by The Times.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 10:09:45 pm by MHLC »

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2013, 06:06:27 pm »

Those are the only terms with which I'd be willing to see Luis go.  ;)
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2013, 01:48:04 pm »

A journalist denying he writes bollocks shocker
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.