Poll

How do we think the UK Will do - Assuming Brexit happens (Hard or Soft..)

Things will be brilliant from the word go and will get better every week!
Things will start off a bit dodgy, but over time things gradually improve and get better
Things will start off dodgy and remain that way for the forseeable future
Things will start off dodgy and then decline slightly with things getting a bit worse
Complete clusterfuck from start to finish

Author Topic: Brexit - doesn't really seem to be a very good idea does it? (*)  (Read 870371 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brexit - What would those in power get out of it? The Fallout Thread..
« Reply #3840 on: March 29, 2017, 11:18:21 am »
We're getting reports that Peter Odemwingie has arrived at the Port of Calais claiming he wants to come back to the UK... But has sensationally be turned away.

... cue massive celebrations at UKIP towers.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #3841 on: March 29, 2017, 11:19:33 am »
They have, and they voted to Leave. I voted Remain but if 'we' had won and Leave voters were out protesting everyone on here would be saying you had a vote and lost, that's democracy, we need to move on etc. Believe me I think it's a shocking decision by the public and can't believe we're leaving, but we voted and that's what most people wanted. How we leave is a different matter, but the upshot is we're leaving.
No, I'd say the margin was too tight to call.

A hugely significant portion of 'the people' are being railroaded into potentially disastrous changes.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #3842 on: March 29, 2017, 11:21:56 am »
Yes but thats exactly what we will do I reckon.

Cant see it happening, we cant compete with the Chinese and Far East on cost, as much as the Tories would love a low wage economy that would be even a step too far for them.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #3843 on: March 29, 2017, 11:23:42 am »

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #3844 on: March 29, 2017, 11:24:51 am »
How many under 40's voted?
How many over-40s didn't vote?

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3845 on: March 29, 2017, 11:29:12 am »
How many over-40s didn't vote?

Google it and you get various numbers broken down by various age ranges, less then 15% of 65's didn't vote, with those in the mid 40's to 65 averaging about 20- 25% who didn't vote. Now compare that to younger age groups, some sources even saying that less younger people voted in 2016 then 2015.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3846 on: March 29, 2017, 11:30:10 am »
Cant see it happening, we cant compete with the Chinese and Far East on cost, as much as the Tories would love a low wage economy that would be even a step too far for them.

Doesnt a trade deal between nations/trading blocs supercede WTO terms?

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3847 on: March 29, 2017, 11:32:04 am »
Says a person that thinks we send soldiers to other countries to murder people.

I dont know about everyone else in this thread, but, I cannot accept a result with a majority of 52-48.  The margin isn't large enough to change the whole future direction of this country.  It's not right!

Plus the whole Leave campaign was based on total bollocks, xenophobia and racism.

Why should nearly half of the 67% that voted just shut up and get on with it????

Its called democracy, no point campaigning after the vote.
And yeh, we do send soldiers to murder people.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #3848 on: March 29, 2017, 11:33:56 am »
They have, and they voted to Leave. I voted Remain but if 'we' had won and Leave voters were out protesting everyone on here would be saying you had a vote and lost, that's democracy, we need to move on etc. Believe me I think it's a shocking decision by the public and can't believe we're leaving, but we voted and that's what most people wanted. How we leave is a different matter, but the upshot is we're leaving.

Do you? More people voted to Leave than Remain, so we're leaving.

They voted for £350M extra for the NHS each week. They voted for less immigration. They voted for miracle trade deals with the non-EU world that would boost the economy, despite there being no supporting evidence such deals were feasible, they voted for leaving but retaining full access to the single market.

All of which the "Government" have rowed furiously backward on. The people were presented the prospect of an impossible deal by a Leave camp largely free from the shackles of actually having to deliver on those promises.

The final deal will look very different to the promises that the Leave vote won with. It is gross revisionism to even suggest that the current proposed Hard Brexit with a cliff edge was on the cards last June.

Triggering Article 50 discharges the obligation to the referendum result. In two years time, parliament still needs to ask, "Is this deal better than revoking Article 50?". If the deal is as bad as we fear, Parliament needs to grow enough of a spine to ask the electorate if they want to accept that deal. A 2nd referendum on the precise terms of the deal should be achievable, there are enough remain Tory MPs, and it is not an outright rejection.   

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3849 on: March 29, 2017, 11:38:34 am »
The democratic process may have failed. But it's still the best we've got. Just a shame the ins didn't campaign better. And a shame we live in a country with a considerable racist undertone.

Offline Rastas

• Kemlynite
« Reply #3850 on: March 29, 2017, 11:42:12 am »
"they"

Also, fuck you.
Very helpful, it's responses like that that just make people look at remain as cry arses.

As for me I didn't vote and am happy to go along with the majority (rightly or wrongly) as that is how the country voted.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #3851 on: March 29, 2017, 11:43:09 am »
Google it and you get various numbers broken down by various age ranges, less then 15% of 65's didn't vote, with those in the mid 40's to 65 averaging about 20- 25% who didn't vote. Now compare that to younger age groups, some sources even saying that less younger people voted in 2016 then 2015.
And they all voted with the future of the nation that they won't see at the forefront of their minds, right?

The clear point of my post, where I even mention apathetic non-voters, is that "the people" have not definitively spoken. Those that are not being included in "the people" are hardly a small minority. Just over half the population is not "the people" as a whole, so stop using that propaganda. This is democracy at its most irresponsible and blinkered, because this upheaval for all has not been pushed through by a sizable majority, and in fact the most economically fruitful areas of the country have given a red light to the upheaval.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3852 on: March 29, 2017, 11:43:37 am »
Rejecting the result of a democratic vote may be worse than accepting the result of an ill informed one. The outcome could be catastrophic, how many votes do we take, will it be 1-1 if the next vote reverses it. Do we go for a tie breaker.
Or should we just do away with democracy, because even idiots are entitled to vote and they are sending us over the edge of a cliff.
I think its best to accept it and try to get the best deal out of it.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3853 on: March 29, 2017, 11:46:45 am »
Rejecting the result of a democratic vote may be worse than accepting the result of an ill informed one. The outcome could be catastrophic, how many votes do we take, will it be 1-1 if the next vote reverses it. Do we go for a tie breaker.
Or should we just do away with democracy, because even idiots are entitled to vote and they are sending us over the edge of a cliff.

What does that mean to try to accept it and get the best deal out of it? Do you mean us as people or the government?

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #3854 on: March 29, 2017, 11:47:55 am »
You need to set a far more sensible margin of 'victory', as often happens in responsible democracies undertaking such huge desisions that will affect all.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3855 on: March 29, 2017, 11:52:25 am »
What does that mean to try to accept it and get the best deal out of it? Do you mean us as people or the government?

Both, the government"s actions influence our futures. So they need to go to Europe and get the best deal for us. We need to push our MPs, who represent us, to get the best deal for us. Instead of pushing them to reject the vote and go over the same old ground.
I still have no idea what deals are available, what options the country has, how each industry will be affected. There is very little coverage of what might happen next, because everyone is still in a daze about the vote.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3856 on: March 29, 2017, 11:57:20 am »
You need to set a far more sensible margin of 'victory', as often happens in responsible democracies undertaking such huge desisions that will affect all.

Its a referendum, not an election, there are no coalitions and power sharing, it was a simple in or out, and we voted out. Every vote counts and one more vote is enough.
I do think Cameron was an idiot for not appreciating the idiocy of a large section of the general public, who form their opinions by what they read in the daily mail and the s*n. I wouldn't have given them the vote, but once you do, you have to accept the result.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3857 on: March 29, 2017, 12:00:33 pm »
Rejecting the result of a democratic vote may be worse than accepting the result of an ill informed one.
A vote based on outright lies and fantasy is not democracy, it's a subversion of democracy.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #3858 on: March 29, 2017, 12:01:30 pm »
Its a referendum, not an election, there are no coalitions and power sharing, it was a simple in or out, and we voted out. Every vote counts and one more vote is enough.
I do think Cameron was an idiot for not appreciating the idiocy of a large section of the general public, who form their opinions by what they read in the daily mail and the s*n. I wouldn't have given them the vote, but once you do, you have to accept the result.
And responsible democracies don't decide such matters with referenda cackhandedly thrust upon an ill-informed public where one single impetuous vote can hold sway.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #3859 on: March 29, 2017, 12:02:00 pm »
Labour needs to get its act together right fucking now to be honest.

As long as May doesn't think there is even the semblance of an effective opposition in this country, I suspect she will dance to the tune of the Hard right and its friends in the media even if it is an economic disaster, at present she's almost certainly getting re-elected in 2020 no matter how big a clusterfuck Brexit is.

A good piece in the FT today on the economic delusion of the Brexiteers.

https://www.ft.com/content/26e3f816-12c8-11e7-b0c1-37e417ee6c76

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3860 on: March 29, 2017, 12:07:25 pm »
Both, the government"s actions influence our futures. So they need to go to Europe and get the best deal for us. We need to push our MPs, who represent us, to get the best deal for us. Instead of pushing them to reject the vote and go over the same old ground.
I still have no idea what deals are available, what options the country has, how each industry will be affected. There is very little coverage of what might happen next, because everyone is still in a daze about the vote.

The whole phrase was coined out by people who, after the Brexit vote, think they have an influence. Its a patronising way of trying to feel important and special and not accepting the fact that their existence matters to no one but the few family and friends that surround themselves with.

Nothing will change. People will go on working and living. The only ones that matter in this process is the government and the only ones who will influence them is big businesses. There is no election in the next two years so the public will have little say in any deal. Just live your life as normal and thats what 99% of people will do anyway.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3862 on: March 29, 2017, 12:11:17 pm »
A vote based on outright lies and fantasy is not democracy, it's a subversion of democracy.

I think its the worst thing to ever happen to this country. But I'm more fearful of rejecting a democratic process, once you set a precedence, who knows what can happen next. We can start rejecting any vote on the basis it was ill informed. Most elections are based on fantasy and unfulfilled promises. Its a dangerous road to go down on.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3863 on: March 29, 2017, 12:12:25 pm »

Like all those euro-skeptic Tories down the years, after the UK had voted to join the EU?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #3864 on: March 29, 2017, 12:24:07 pm »

The result has not been rejected. The result caused the triggering of Article 50. If the deal that the swivel eyes loons of the Tory negotiating team come back with is rubbish,  it is legitimate to say that the deal is not the deal that was promised and it should be referred to the people. A referendum result is not carte blanche to implement Brexit at any cost. The referendum result caused this negotiation to happen. Once we reach an end point, it is valid to ask the electorate if they want to implement it.

Of course if Cameron was not a lazy incompetent fucker, the referendum would have been between 2 well defined choices and it could be justifiably claims that the populace had consented to the chosen form of Brexit. But then if he was competent, he would not have called the referendum in the first place. But he was, and we are in the current position we are in where no one has a clear mandate to do anything in relation to Europe. Apart from UKIP. All of their MPs are pulling together on this one.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3865 on: March 29, 2017, 12:36:49 pm »
I think its the worst thing to ever happen to this country. But I'm more fearful of rejecting a democratic process, once you set a precedence, who knows what can happen next. We can start rejecting any vote on the basis it was ill informed. Most elections are based on fantasy and unfulfilled promises. Its a dangerous road to go down on.
We have already been taken down that road by the Tory government with the support of millions of leave voters. this government has abused the result of the referendum to impose a hard Brexit on the country,the people of this country didn't vote for a hard Brexit.
The Torys now want to by pass our democracy by refusing to allow our MPs a vote over changing our laws. this is an attack on the very foundation of democracy.
We might as well just let the cabinet decide every law and do away with all MPs.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3866 on: March 29, 2017, 12:41:29 pm »
Reality:

@ManfredWeber
EU has done everything to keep the British. From now on, only the interests of the remaining 440 million Europeans count for us. #BrexitDay

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3867 on: March 29, 2017, 12:43:48 pm »
Sky News using today to unveil their new, advanced polling model.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3868 on: March 29, 2017, 12:46:58 pm »

The British democratic process allows for opposition to the referendum result. Opposition is intrinsic to the system, and is even officially appointed and paid for. The problem is, there is no opposition. Any vote is supposed to be rejected by a section and fought against, so there can be a variety of views. To give up these views to preserve some mythical democratic process is the real betrayal of said democratic process.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3869 on: March 29, 2017, 12:47:57 pm »
Well, now that the leap into the dark has been made, I can only wish everyone well. Let us hope that the worst possible does not become the reality, and that somehow, a statesman will step forward to find an agreement which will be reasonable for the people in the UK.

My own personal Brexit takes place later in April. I'm not regretting my decision to leave this country in its current mindset, but I want my friends who remain to have a decent future.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #3870 on: March 29, 2017, 12:51:05 pm »
Can't even put how I'm feeling into words at the moment. It's all just so thoroughly depressing and I can't see any way back for this country at the moment.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3871 on: March 29, 2017, 12:51:11 pm »
I don't think I've ever heard such a stream of unmitigated blather spew forth from a UK politician as I've just heard from May's speech.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3872 on: March 29, 2017, 12:54:10 pm »
Such a shame, we didn't need to have the referendum in the first place, and it didn't need to be binding, but here we are. We can now only hope for the best deal we can get (the process can be stopped and we can remain in the EU, but this would be a very unlikely scenario).

First country to leave (unless you count Greenland) the EU when we do in 2019, I wonder if any others will be on the path out by then?

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3873 on: March 29, 2017, 12:55:52 pm »
Doesnt a trade deal between nations/trading blocs supercede WTO terms?

Yes it does, but that assumes that there is a deal reached first of all between us and the EU.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Kop307

• Bets against Liverpool. "I could be talking utter fucking shit".
  • Kopite
« Reply #3874 on: March 29, 2017, 01:01:37 pm »
This has been going on for over a year, and I've spoken to maybe 50 people who voted leave and I'm still yet to hear a single reason why leaving is a good idea. All you get is  :

"You lost"
"Stop moaning"
"Remoaners"
"LETS JUST GET OUT"

Yes but why do you want to leave? "YOU LOST". Try reasoning with it. Try getting your head around it. All the best. This is a group of people who voted leave headed by UKIP. This is the future of our country. I call a UKIP Government in the next 20 years.
There are 2 types of posters on RAWK - Those who have an opinion and post - and those who just comment on those who post. Have an opinion - grow up.

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3875 on: March 29, 2017, 01:03:29 pm »
On May's speech (taken from The Guardian):

She wants the UK to emerge “stronger, fairer, more outward-looking than ever before”.
She wants us to be a magnet for talent, and a truly global Britain.
May says: "Perhaps now more than ever the world needs the liberal, democratic values of Europe - values that the UK shares."
When protectionist instincts are on the rise, Europe has a responsibility to stand up for free trade. "Failing to stand up for European values would be a costly mistake."

How do you square that with people just wanting lower immigration and less foreigners? We have become more inward, more protectionist and more hostile to the European Values she talks about (sucking up to Trump being the key one). How can we be a talent magnet when people are so opposed to people coming here to work?

A shameful day for our country, and a hypocritical speech from a truly dreadful Prime Minister.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #3876 on: March 29, 2017, 01:04:03 pm »
This has been going on for over a year, and I've spoken to maybe 50 people who voted leave and I'm still yet to hear a single reason why leaving is a good idea. All you get is  :

"You lost"
"Stop moaning"
"Remoaners"
"LETS JUST GET OUT"

Yes but why do you want to leave? "YOU LOST". Try reasoning with it. Try getting your head around it. All the best. This is a group of people who voted leave headed by UKIP. This is the future of our country. I call a UKIP Government in the next 20 years.

UKIP are done, there's no need for them any more now that the far right is in control of the conservative party.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #3877 on: March 29, 2017, 01:08:41 pm »
Says a person that thinks we send soldiers to other countries to murder people.

I dont know about everyone else in this thread, but, I cannot accept a result with a majority of 52-48.  The margin isn't large enough to change the whole future direction of this country.  It's not right!

Plus the whole Leave campaign was based on total bollocks, xenophobia and racism.

Why should nearly half of the 67% that voted just shut up and get on with it????

Frottage was planning to carry on the fight if he lost, so why the fuck shouldn't we?

Can't believe people don't recycle this article more often. It is the argument direct from Fucknuggets' mouth.

Mr Johnson's intervention came after Ukip leader Nigel Frottage said Britain would need to vote again in the event of a narrow defeat for the Brexit campaign.

Mr Frottage said unless David Cameron's Remain campaign wins by a two thirds margin, there would be 'unfinished business'.

Mr Cameron, leading the campaign to stay, has insisted the crunch poll is a once in a generation opportunity and the rules of the referendum require just a simple majority to win.

Two polls in the past 24 hours have handed big leads to the Remain campaign - but different methods and taking turn out data into account produce large swings to the result.

Mr Frottage told the Daily Mirror: 'In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way.

'If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3594364/Nigel-Frottage-warns-demand-SECOND-referendum-EU-Leave-campaign-loses-narrow-margin.html

Offline cg82

• Top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top poster
  • Main Stander
« Reply #3878 on: March 29, 2017, 01:09:19 pm »
;D

'... we are just getting word here at Sky that the UK have made a last minute bid for tarriff free access for motor vehicles out of the UK, but in return the EU want a higher quota for salmon fishing"

Cut to an interview with Harry Redknapp hanging out the car winda, "Yeah that Eurpoena Union we cudda 'ad 'im. Triffic playa. Cudda 'ad 'im".

Will the purple dildo make an appearence?

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3879 on: March 29, 2017, 01:10:53 pm »
I'm not rejecting the result. If you're looking for precedents we have prominent Leavers dismissing their own claims on the morning of the result. I disagree with your "Most elections..." as I've never seen such a thing in this country in my lifetime.

Still waiting to hear from Slowrap on what lessons I should have learned from this.