Author Topic: Manchester - so much to answer for?  (Read 30031 times)

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
Manchester - so much to answer for?
« on: October 8, 2011, 05:09:49 pm »
The home game against United will be played in a couple of days, no doubt played in an atmosphere of hate and allegations and counter-allegations of shocking behaviour from fans of both sides.  For some the game against our rivals from down the East Lancs is not their cup of shite, for others it is the high point of the season. An exercise in pure adrenaline.  I thought it was a good time to explore the feelings of posters on here (from both sides of the divide) about the fixture, about the rivalry and about how they thought it had changed over the years.  So we know where our respondents are coming from I thought it best to start with their memories of playing "them". I asked for their earliest memory, there fondest memory and the one memory that they would happily have counselling to bury forever in their subconscious.  The first shock I have to report is that contrary to popular belief it turns out that this game was not Terry de Niro's first. 

10th November 1962
Johnno White: "My first game must have been your first season back 1962-63. OT 3-3 when you were 3-1 down with 7 minutes to go and bloody got back to square it. St John, Jimmy Melia and Ronnie Moran. We had you by the short curly things at 3-0 halftime. St John after 5 mins 2nd half got one back and then bloody Melia with 6 to go and then Moran in the last bloody minute. Unbelievable it was. Liverpool were down and almost buried at half time. Whatever Shanks said to ’em obviously worked – smart old bugger was that fella!"
Johnno White:
"Fond memories?  I remember one incident from that first game in 1962 that occurred just outside the Liverpool area when we were kicking towards the old Scoreboard end. Law and Yeats – who’d been kicking lumps out of Law all afternoon – went up for a high ball and as good as Denis was in the air, there was only one winner. Yeats headed it almost beyond the halfway line and both players landed in the November mud in a tangle. As the game had already moved into our half everyone’s attention was drawn away from these two muddy bleeders on the deck – except Denis was a huge favourite of mine – like you with Dalglish or Keegan – and I was watching as he was disentangling himself. He took the chance to adjust the smacking account by just a tad - and nutted Yeats right between the eyes!! He legged it back up the pitch as fast as his legs would take him !! Not very pucker United football the Busby Way but in the context of the clashes in the man's game back then a very fond memory....  "

13th December 1969
Wooltonian: "Several games on the box but first attended game, 1969-70 It was a Saturday morning kick off at Anfield  they ran us totally ragged, played us off the park and won 4-1. Best and Charlton were at their very best. They played in all white. Charlton’s goal was an absolute screamer. Best went round everyone twice several times in the match."Johnno White: "They used to show that Charlton goal for many a year in the intro to MOTD.  When you look at the state of the pitch how on earth did artists like Best, Charlton, Cally, Thompson, Law (and others) ever produce the quality they were able to produce - and repeatedly produce - over many seasons ??   Today's buggers are mightily ferkin' spoiled in so many respects."
Wooltonian: "The reason BEST was "Best" was not only the ploughed fields he graced. It was also the fact that he played against the likes of Tommy Smith Dave McKay and Norman Hunter. He was so good he could still perform after being nobbled. Todays maestro's hit the deck and roll around like they've been shot. Putting the likes of Ronaldo ahead of George is complete BOLLOCKS."

15th August 1972
Yorkykopite:"My first was my second visit to Anfield (and second visit in a week) - a night match in August 1972. We beat them 2-0 I think. Full house. Incredible atmosphere."

22nd December 1973
Terry de Niro: "My first was in the flesh as a 13 year old, just before Christmas 1973 and a home win 2-0.  Goals came from a Keegan penalty and Steve Heighway got the other one in the 2nd half.  The 73/74 season was not a happy one for the Mancs.  ;)   in fact it would be easy for me to say them getting relegated 73/74 season, but I really didn't have that much hatred for them, then. Although I thought it was amusing at the time I would been amused a hundred times more to have seen Everton get relegated."

21st May 1977
Hinesy: "My earliest memory? I think it would be the '77 final. Don't want to say anymore than that really about it."
VdM: "My first memory of playing Man Utd is also the first time I can pin down, in my murky childhood recollections, that I supported Liverpool.  I know this because as an eight year old I cried in 1977 when that scrawpy goal off Brian Greenhoff's back condemned us to defeat in the cup final.  I presume I had been supporting us for a while by then but this was the first time that football had made such an emotional mark, and, predictably it was them that delivered that first kick in the goolies.  I learnt a lot about the emotional rollercoaster of being a Liverpool fan that week as four days later Wembley was but a distant memory and we were the Kings of Europe.  Manchester who?"
Johnno White: "The record shows it was off JIMMY Greenhoff's back....   Whichever Greenhoff it was, sorry that it made you cry mate... I know what it's like watching your heroes coming a cropper - saw it when we were robbed in 1957 by Villa and Peter McParland's fracturing Ray Wood's cheekbone. No subs back then so our centre half went in goal and Woody - broken face and all - played a nuisance role on the right wing.   Saw it again in 1958 when Lofthouse did Harry Gregg for the second Bolton goal which finished us. You never forget..."
Highlights

25th February 1978
And finally in the memories section....
Wooltonian:

a) This picture says it all. However, very few know that the dart originated from the Man U fans in the Anfield Road corner. On the Red flights was MUFC in yellow. (no LFC fan would ever play darts with MUFC in the tail) It hit a guy two steps down from me in the shoulder and he threw it back without much thought. As the copper led him away, the Road Ender’s screamed “ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY”

14th April 1979
Garstonite: "Not my first 'memory', but the first time I saw a Liverpool-United game 'live' at Anfield was in 1979. It was towards the back end of the 78-79 season. We were unbeaten at Anfield all season and had only conceded about four goals at home. United came about a week after beating us in the FA Cup at Goodison, so we owed them one. We absolutely dominated the game. Dalglish scored the first at The Kop end with a header and Phil Neal scored with a sliding shot just after half time at the Anny Rd. At 2-0 they say the game is never a formality, but the way we played that season, it seemed to be. The ground was in party mood from the moment the second went in and we could have won 4 or 5. I must have only been 8."

26th February 1983
Yorkykopite: "Well a funny memory at least. Mid-80s at Old Trafford. I went up to the match with my best mate who was a Man Utd fan and we were in the paddock. Muhren scored for them and there was mayhem all around me. Some bloke standing next to me put his arms round me, gave me a big hug and started jumping up and down in pure delight. I had to go with him. That went on for about half a minute. Excruciating. When it all calmed down my pal pointed out to the fella that I was a Liverpool fan. But everyone was in such a good mood that I was immediately adopted as a kind of 'mascot'. Cue a minute later and Kenny stuck in the equalizer at the Stretford End. Mascot's revenge. I grabbed hold of the bloke who'd been hugging me and gave him the same treatment. I should say that the atmosphere around the game was toxic - Munich chants, Shankly chants etc - but somehow we had a little pocket on friendliness on our part of the terrace. "

26th March 1983
Royhendo: "The 1983 Milk Cup final was the first time I saw the two sides playing live on telly up in sunny Barbados-on-Tay. Norman Whiteside was the next big thing at the time, appearing in Shoot! every other week, and his goal was a tidy finish. It was frustrating viewing cos you always thought we were gonna win, but it just wasn't coming, and then of course Kennedy bobbles the equaliser in from outside the box.  The Whelan goal was unforgettable. Well, they all are really aren't they... but it was a bit special. "
Video

17th April 1985

For Gareth his first memory if us playing them is also a formative traumatic memory of the power football could wield.
Gareth: "For me, as an 11 year old it was the '85 replay at Maine Road. Cant describe the goals, only the memory of listening to the game in my bedroom on the wireless, then crawling under the duvet and bawling my eyes out completely heart broken. The difference between then and losing/winning now is not much different, the temporary pain or joy is still there just without the tears.   I've had my moments of revenge since then though. 2003 in Cardiff was a great laugh, then a year later walking out of OT on the back of a cheeky 1-0 win.  Always swings and roundabouts in these fixtures though."

26th April 1992
VdM: "I am surprised that nobody mentioned this game.  Leeds and Man U were neck and neck for the title that season and Leeds had just beaten (Sheff United I think) with a late late winner in the early kick off which took them narrowly above the Mancs. I think there was maybe only one game left after this one so if we could beat them it would virtually sink their title chances.  And this is back in the days when they had not won the title for 26 years. Rushie scored with an absolute screamer early on, his first against them I think, it was a nervous affair after that until Mark Walter bagged the winner (and not a stepover in sight) late on.  Cue Monty Pythonesque pandemonium and chants of "You lost the league on Merseyside".  Looking back now it was probably the last time we held the balance of power. Wilkinson sold Cantona, Ferguson won the title, and the rest is horrible history"

4th January 1994
Babuyagu: "Memory is a bit sketchy, strangely. I first start REALLY following football in 1990, the Palace v Liverpool FA Cup semi being the first game I remember sitting and really paying attention to. Was 9 at the time. So its strange for me that no matter how hard I try the first game I remember is the 3-3 at Anfield when Ruddock almost gave him self a concussion powering in the equaliser as we came back from 0-3 down. "

Considering that this was, at the end of the day, a home draw it was surprising how many people listed it as one of their fondest memories.
Terry: "The 3-0 down, (94?) at half time to claw it back to 3-3 has to be up there. I remember having a row with my brother in law who wanted to leave after the first half had finished. I eventually persuaded him to stay. We still laugh about that.   "
Yorkykopite: "The best memory however remains the 3-3 draw - the one where we were down 3-0 after 20 minutes. Standing on the Kop when Giggs put their third in it briefly crossed my mind that I never wanted to see another football match in my life. The fight-back though. What drama! It's the sweetest draw I've ever seen."
Garstonite: "The 3-3 in 94 was special. Not just because of the cracking game. It was one of 'those' nights on The Kop. Hard to explain without being there, but the game seemed to fly by in a flash. It was one of those occasions you'd just leave the ground smiling from ear to ear loving football."
VdM: "Predictably there have been many lows and highs associated with playing them, the fondest memory?  I know many people will be reaching for the recent 4-1 at Old Trafford here but like Yorky I am going to go with the 3-3 at Anfield when we were 3-0 down within the first half hour.  I think it was the last Man Utd game to take place in front of the old standing Kop and it looked destined to end disappointingly but cometh the hour cometh the men.  Neil Ruddock and Nigel Clough will probably not trouble the writers of forthcoming books on Liverpool legends unduly but they were legends that night.  Two quick fire goals from Clough gave us hope and a roaring, bellowing, swaying, thunderous Kop demanded an equaliser.  With not long to go Ruddock thundered a header into the Anny Rd net and the old stand dissolved into delirium, bodies, flares, arms, legs all over."
Yorkykopite: "It was the last one in front of the old Kop. Lot of flags that night and loads of red flares. A absolute hum-dinger of an atmosphere. That's why it was such a kick in the stomach to see us leak 3 early goals. And it honestly looked like we might get whacked by a record margin (strange how Souness had no idea how to organise a defence). "
Highlights

19th March 1995
Rossobianchi: "It was World Cup 94 which first got me into football; I'd kick around on the street pretending to be Kennet Andersson, Florin Radicioiu and Hristo Stoichkov. A year later it was more Cantona, Giggs and Kanchelskis. In that year I remember us beating you 2-0 at Old Trafford early in the season, very vaguely. Think McClair scored a little toe-poke, it might have been two goals in as many minutes come to think of it. But the return fixture that season brings back more memories; we hit a blip where the goals dried up and went to Anfield with Dalglish's Blackburn hot on our heels with about 7 games to go. I was nine-years-old and Jamie Redknapp left me in tears (yes, literally Jamie) as he smashed home a left-footer at the Kop end. A Bruce own goal then followed as we lost 2-0 and ballsed up the league despite your boys beating Rovers on the last day. Ludek fucking Miklosko."

17th December 1995
StevenLFC: "I can't recall the exact year, but I vaguely remember us beating them 2-0 at home, Fowler scored 2 goals, one was a free kick. It was one of my first matches and remember that the crowd seemed much louder than previous games I'd been to."

11th May 1996
Azi: "Think my first memory was the white suits final with cantona scoring the winner in the last minute was 8 at the time and the slagging I got of my 9 year old cousin I’ll never forget."

It seems that Azi's first memory is the one most of us would like to exorcise.
BabuYagu: "The 1996 FA Cup final. Just a dire game of football with the worst possible outcome."
Yorkykopite: "The wretched Cup Final where we lost 1-0 to a late Cantona goal. I don't have to work too hard to bury it though. I was pissed even before the kick-off and stuck on the very back row where I probably dozed off for a while - such was the tedium. "
VdM: "
The low for me was that 1996 cup final defeat, there are loads of reasons why, the cream suits, the fact that we never turned up, that Ferguson sent out his team simply to stop us playing, that it was the confirmation of another false dawn that would set us back another ten years of rebuilding, the cruel nature of the defeat.  Everything.  I think what really made it worse was that ruined what had been such a great day, we'd gone down with mates and we'd arranged to meet some of those aforementioned Man Utd ST holders for a pint beforehand.  I'd suggested a decent pub a few tube stops from the ground and suggested that in previous years it had been mixed and no bother.  In 1996 though the first lads to arrive at opening time had hung a huge Liverpool banner, which quite literally was the size of a pub, from the upper windows of the gaff.  Unsurprisingly there wasn't a Manc to be seen inside apart from our mates who sweltered a balmy late May afternoon away with their jackets zipped up to their chins (most Mancs never take their coats off anyway, I presume they can't afford any decent shirts)."
Terry: "The 0-1 FA Cup final 96 was painful to watch as it was probably the most boring match ever and the result obviously didn't help matters."
Royhendo: "The Cantona goal in the cup final."

1999 And All That
For Rosso obviously these were happy memories.
Rossobianchi: "FA Cup 1999 at Old Trafford, still provides goosebumps watching it back. Ole was an absolute assassin and I knew that was in before he drilled it past James - one of several key moments on the way to the Treble where we looked down and out but turned it around. Rio's goal in 2005 was a nice moment too, a bit of a shite game decided by a last-minute set-piece. Don't like thinking about that year though!"
But not for most of us and it's perhaps a sign of their recent domination that for some of us, our worst memory was of something that for the last few months we weren't even involved in.
Azi: "99 treble season wasn’t bothered that they won but it was 1966 all over again for me media went into overdrive and their fans made me suicidal "
Hinesy: "them winning their 2nd European Cup. Makes me sick to think of it."

22nd January 2002
Hinesy: "Many fond memories, but strangely the one that leaps to mind is Danny Murphy's goal a few years back when we beat them 1-0 at theirs. Don't know why it does stick in my mind but there had been a lot of victories from them over us, and that was a real hold on and win game. I was away on holiday at the time and was listening like mad to the radio.. it's the one memory that sticks out instantly: weird."
Goal

2nd March 2003
StevenLFC: "I really enjoyed the 2-0 victory in the 2003 (I think) League Cup Final. It was my first cup final and I was in awe of the Millenium Stadium and how amazing our fans where that day. I remember Dudek playing a blinder that day. "VdM: "I have mixed memories of this one, we stayed somewhere just West of Cardiff and got the train, it was packed with Mancs, we then had to walk through their end of the ground to get to our second home by the City Arms.  They have some vile c*nts following them nowadays it has to be said.  Had to share a train with them on my way back but that was fine I just soaked up and burned up that hate with a beatific smile on my face."

16th December 2007
Rossobianchi: "If I had to pick one fond memory though, it would be O'Shea in front of the Kop. Watched it in a pub in Preston whilst at Uni and the place was pretty much split 50/50, and of course one side of the room went mental. Undeserved and with ten men - a crucial win en route to the title."
As is the nature of the fixture though, one man's banquet is another man's kick in the bollocks...
Terry: "More recently I'll go for their smash and grab late winner, even though they had Paul (can't tackle) Scholes sent off, and to make matters worse it had to be John fucking O'Shea who grabbed the winner. I had about a hundred texts in no time at all. Most of them from bitters saying "well done to your lad for getting the winner" or words to that effect. Anyone who knows my real name will know where I'm coming from."
Garstonite: "Too many to mention! Sitting beside their lot in the Anny Rd for the "John O'Shea game" was a bit of sickener. The hatred and vitriol slung from one side to another was quite something to behold, from a man usually sat in the partisan haven that is the Centenary Stand."

14th March 2009
Terry: "An obvious fond memory. Our 4-1 victory at their patch in 2009. SWEET...   "

Azi: "Fond memory? Got to be the 4-1 demolition coming from the high against real Madrid all I heard from my mates was it was a past it Madrid side so was to be expected and we would get shown up for the poor side we really were so seeing us outplay utd on their turf was sweet especially considering the chance Stevie had which could have made it worse for some reason they were unreachable on for the phone for the next coupla hours..."
Rossobianchi: "Worst memory? The 4-1 without a doubt. Remember being a bit shellshocked; I think partly because we didn't play that bad! 1-0 up and looking OK before Vidic shits himself letting the ball bounce. Then the pendulum swung and your boys took over. That spring period was the best football I've ever seen any Liverpool side play in my lifetime; you just kept winning and winning - the Benayoun goal at Fulham and the dismantling of Villa at Anfield - after those games I thought you were going to win it."[/size]
Rosso is not alone in wanting to forget about that game though...[/size]
Gareth: "The 4-1 at OT. Great individual result, but is it enough to sustain you for any longer than a season or two?"[/size]
Video

So now you know our writers let's see how they think relations between the fans have changed over the years...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 02:46:58 pm by Veinticinco de Mayo »
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Manchester - so much to answer for?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 02:01:18 am »
Rather than answering the questions directly, I've used the questions as a starting point to put down some thoughts about our rivalry with Man Utd and how that rivalries changed during the last few years, sorry for the novel, I just kept adding to it.

During my lifetime our relationship with the Mancs has always been complex with a streak of hatred running through it that is never far from the surface, but it was not always so; during our second division days it was common for some of our fathers and grandfathers not only to go to see Everton when we were away but also to go to Old Trafford to see the Busby Babes. The tragedy of Munich however was to affect our relationship in many ways. For my fathers generation it was a massive upset, to see such a great football team decimated was to effect them deeply. Man Utd had every one's sympathy, journalists and football in general looked upon Man Utd favourably, I remember watching them win the European cup in 1968 on television and my Dad wanting them to win, you couldn't imagine a Liverpool fan wanting that now, even though he was quick to remind me we should have won it first but for a bent referee in Milan in 65.

Growing up in the sixties, Munich meant little to me at the time, I knew about it but it was just something remote out of a torn history book, what mattered to me as a young Liverpudlian was no matter how great we were, the media loved Man Utd. With hindsight it's not difficult to understand why tight-knitted journalists, who had lost colleague's in Munich, wanted Man Utd to rise from the flames of tragedy, but to us all we saw was the bias towards Man utd in the press, it was like our achievements counted for nothing.

In them days the rivalry with Everton was on a different level to United but was nearly always friendly. On the football field Man Utd were not a real threat like teams like Leeds United but they were local. Football wasn't televised as much them days, but on a Sunday Granada would show highlights of a North West game, so we got to see alot of United and Gerald Sindstadt, their pet commentator who was a United fan.

The difference with United was the local rivalry was anything but friendly. Old Trafford was a scary place for Scousers to visit, I'd been to various tough grounds but the hatred you faced at Old Trafford was amplified by their police who seemed to hate us even more than their mob, rather than protecting us they would turn a blind eye when we were outnumbered and act in collaboration with their mob, in contrast Merseyside Police used to do things by the book and United were always protected in Liverpool. You had to stick together because getting split up meant being ambushed. So you had a local rivalry that quickly became nasty unlike our rivalry with Everton at the time.

We had a great sixties side but it was never given the credit that they deserved in the media. When Shankly and latterly Paisley built one of the great European sides, it was as if we had done nothing compared to the great Man Utd battling away in mediocrity.  From this frustration and our experiences of Old Trafford it became easy to hate, as society changed and hooliganism became the norm a trip to Old Trafford became the away that you couldn't duck out off, you got more credibility going there than anywhere else, I've still got some of my ticket stubs from some of those games, those that were there know how violent our encounters became, we were in a cycle where our mutual hatred fed into the next encounter. At that time I hated Man Utd and their supporters with a passion.

In the eighties, I had to move away for work and found myself in Warrington with a great set of lads, the problem for me was some of them supported Man Utd and they were not the Mancs I'd encountered outside the Scoreboard, but decent lads like my mates back in Liverpool, I had loads in common with them and it challenged my cartoon version of Man Utd fans that I believed in. I was growing up but it was forgotten when going the match. Today lads who work in Manchester know that in spite of our football rivalry their workmates don't have two heads and are usually alright, one of the lads I go the match with works in Salford and he talks football with his workmates without problems. Seriously of course you can talk football with them, real life isn't like the internet, good and bad like us all.

Then Hillsborough happened, and everything changed for our generation. I remember wandering around Anfield and feeling so emotional looking at the Man Utd scarves with their messages of sympathy, they meant more because of where they'd come from and the messages were from genuine match going fans, who understood what had happened, this more than anything on the pitch is my fondest memory of our encounters. Something clicked for many of us and we put football into perspective. They became the dominant force on the field and we have had to watch as the tables turned. I've been back to Old Trafford a few times recently and the hatred grows, not to the levels of the seventies but it's definitely coming back, which for me is sad. It was only a few seasons ago we pulled some of our supporters for singing Munich songs back in retaliation for Hillsborough shite in Manchester and loads backed us up, but that time has passed, which is a pity because for a few years we had a truce. We lose out the most with the revival of the chants because  our support contains many who still suffer because of what they saw that day, few of their fans are directly effected by Munich, which isn't to belittle Munich in any way just to state fact. I don't think Ferguson helps things with his total ungraciousness, it effects the attitude of their fans but there's little we can do about it apart from having the patience to build a decent football team to knock the smile off  arl whisky nose's wrinkled face.

For me, the Everton game is still more important than the Man Utd game, I've heard people in the media calling Liverpool vs Man Utd a Derby, that's shite our only Derby is against Everton not anyone else, unless it effects us winning the league I'd always want the win against Everton first but even better to stuff the pair of them.

We all know about the rivalries and the differences but I was talking to a lad from Belgium who lived in Manchester about Liverpool and I had to concede they're similar cities and sometimes caught up in our rivalries we forget how much in common the two working class cities have. In football terms as much as we're different we also have things in common with them, their dominance of the last few years mirrors us in the seventies and eighties, we both know about leveraged buyouts etc. I may hate them on the football field but when you talk to their sensible fans Like Johhno, who comes on here, you find we also have alot in common even if it's hard to admit it because of our Histories. But like Everton today I've seen our rivalries go through different phases, and whoever's to blame I prefer the intense rivalry without the hatred, it seems unrealistic today but just when you think things will go on for ever, things have a habit of changing.

Things you admire about United, I left the hard one to the end, but their sixties team built by Busby was great to watch, we were collectively a better team but when they clicked United played lovely football, Best was a great player but for me Dennis Law was the one I secretly admired, he just had the knack of instinctively doing the right thing in front of goal. I always thought the Tommy Docherty side that stole our treble in 77 had the potential to be a great side, in parts they played great football but Tommy's affair with Mary Brown meant they never fulfilled their potential. That game sticks out for me as a great disappointment  and would be the memory that I'd bury, because  we were so close to doing the treble, I got a ticket outside for a tenner after I'd given up getting in and ended up sitting with the United Players families right by the royal box on my own, from elation to total disappointment in 90 minutes, especially as everyone was going to Rome bar me because my Dad couldn't convince my Mum to allow me to miss an O level to go, but the result a few days later was a consolation.

In the modern era you have to admire Ferguson's achievements and his desire to try and knock us off our perch, but he has become far too removed from his roots and he showed just how far with his attitude to the Glazer take over, he's lost sight of what matters , how many loyal season ticket holders did he cut adrift to save his own arse, he didn't just get in bed with them he trampled on their traditional support to jump on the bed, the old hypocrite.

The mad thing about our relationship is that Liverpool and Manchester are only twenty minutes apart when the M62 is empty, closer than parts of other cities are to each other and we really have so very little to do with each other. The cities and people have alot more in common than we like to admit but we very rarely meet each other outside of football and trips to Manchester airport so we don't meet people on a social basis that challenge our prejudices about each other.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 04:10:38 pm by The 92A »
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 01:27:01 pm »
Garstonite: "I think I've mellowed out in terms of my hatred towards things football-related. I joke a lot on here, but I don't really get too heavily wound up by much. Seeing them lift the Premier League year in year out in the telly, you grow to realise that there's not much you can do about it from your living room."

Hinesy:
"Yes, I hate what Ferguson has turned the club into. So I guess him and their success has honestly made me despise them more. The majority of fans have become gloating, vainglorious and small minded. Ferguson has deprived them of any grace or style in defeat or victory."

Terry: "When I was a kid I really didn't think about them at all, even though they had Best, Charlton and Law. They were a great side but we matched them and won our fair share of trophies, so it really didn't bother me. My feelings changed towards them when Twatkinson took over them and after signing the "boy Robbo" and Remi Moses telling all who could be bothered to listen that they had just signed for the best club in the World. Despite the fact that we were the club that were winning everything including the boat race at that time."

VdM: "As for how things have changed, I think the crucial change was Hillsborough.  Before then, as a stupid teenager who knew no better, I had joined in the chants of Munich at OT or Anfield. The atmosphere at times was downright poisonous. I think as The 92A says Hillsborough stopped us in our tracks, made us re-evaluate a few things.  I think to a degree it did that for everyone, not just Liverpool fans but United fans and Everton fans too.  The United scarves on the pitch at Anfield and the atmosphere at Goodison for the first competitive game after Hillsborough underlined that.  For years after that, though the hatred and rivalry was clearly still there some of the hateful bile had gone.  Unfortunately as the generation who were going the game in 1989 have slowly given way to the younger generations that bile is coming back into the fixture.  We're caught in a tit for tat justification for ever more sick actions because "they did it first".  We're letting the lowest common denominator set the agenda and that is sad.  The problem is that just as those of my generation did not realise how angry those Munich chants made people who had lived through it I don't think those kids of today who shout stuff like "96 wasn't enough" have any idea how angry that makes those of us who were there that day.  Away from my evening role as an internet warrior I am as mild mannered a guy as you are likely to meet and just about every eyeball to eyeball confrontation I have ever had to be dragged away from has been about that one issue." 

Yorky:
"I used to enjoy laughing at how crap they were. These days I only do that when they play Barca."

Johnno White: "Never changed towards the broad mass of LFC fans – there are the loonies of course but when you get to a sensible discussion always honesty given – as it surely has always to be both ways otherwise what’s the friggin’ point?"

Rossobianchi: "The thing I hated about Liverpool when I was growing up was that you went through a phase of continually beating us; I think circa 2002 you won five on the bounce. Danny Murphy kept bloody clinching those Old Trafford one-nillers and as a teenager supporting United, I hadn't really experienced any side exert a period of dominance over us. The rivalry always seems to peak when we're competing for honours with each other; e.g. I remember feeling properly gutted at the 2003 Worthington Cup Final and driving back from Cardiff with scousers everywhere tooting their horns! And obviously in recent years, 2009 in particular, the sense of enmity was red hot. I think the public slanging between Benitez and Ferguson spiced things up too. For many years though, I've had more respect for Liverpool than ordinary reds for a few reasons, see next question..."

Babuyagu: "When I was a kid, I didn´t like them because they were our rivals. Living in Belfast there wasn´t too many Manchester United fans around at that time so it didn´t develop much more than that. When I moved to England and started working with South England adopted mancs, was when it really grew. Now I cannot stand them. "

Royhendo: "Not really. When you're watching it all unfold from afar you can't lay claim to the same animosity others feel really. In footballing terms, naturally my feelings have changed - we've gone from being the 1,000lb gorilla in the room to having to watch them take up that mantle. "

Gareth: "It's neutral really as everything boils down to my own team. There's grudging respect for their (pre Glazer) days of being two steps ahead of anyone else when Sky/PL ushered in the rampant age of commercialisation. On the downside I loath the culture of fear and criticism that Ferguson has made full use of over the years, not to mention the fawning cabal of LMA managers falling over themselves to wash his feet. Respect for his achievements yes, but as a man? No. None at all. "

StevenLFC: "I've actually mellowed out as I've gotten older, I used to hate them so much but as I've gotten older I've changed. You can't help but respect them either. Their success over a long period of time is an amazing feat, and we'd love to match them. "
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 02:34:27 pm by Veinticinco de Mayo »
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline Cassiel

• Legacy Fan
  • Lord, I can't go back there...
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 09:53:47 pm »
Same here really, though as an 11 year old it was the '85 replay at Maine Road. Cant describe the goals, only the memory of listening to the game in my bedroom on the wireless, then crawling under the duvet and bawling my eyes out completely heart broken. The difference between then and losing/winning now is not much different, the temporary pain or joy is still there just without the tears.

Same here. I was 14. I can still see Hughes, wet perm flowing, celebrating. It was then i started 'hating' them, despite it being the fag end of Atkinson's reign, when they were still a boozy rabble. Before then I didn't mind them. After all, they were a bit of a joke. Yes they beat us but the odd battle lost didn't matter because we took every war going. I don't know; it just seemed like something changed that night. Probably in me more than anything. That boyhood innocence where you can't get enough footie, where everyone's a good player, and Bryan Robson was the England captain, only annoying for being made of plywood, and not a Man Utd bastard. After that replay, it became some good old adolescent, pent-up hatred.

Of course when I say hate I mean I wanted them to lose every single game, and I despised every single player bar a few (Arthur Albiston bizarrely, and I always had a soft spot for Stepney). But I've always known and been friends with Man Utd fans and always found myself able to talk football with them. You have to be an absolute wanker to choose your friends on which football team they follow don't you?  Many of them even have the decency to accept their manager, for all his many qualities, is a graceless, classless megalomaniac. But what a generation of players he's presided over. And fair play to them for sticking with him.

As for what annoys me about them? Their refusal to see that many decisions go their way because of the looming, red-faced fool on the sidelines. But again, that may say more about me. Do they actually get that many decisions go their way? I think they do but it could just be anger and envy and frustration. I think this idea the league is corrupt, rather than just a few referees scared and awed of our pal Alex, is absurd and embarrassing.

As for Everton, I'm with Yorkie. It never used to compare, not when Everton had good side and challenged us. Now I derive far more satisfaction from beating Man Utd, which causes me even more angst because it's a bit small time isn't it, and indicative of how fallow we've become in comparison. Our kicks come from a short term burst of joy. It's come full circle from the 1980s - even my Man Utd fans are sanguine about us beating them. They get to win all the wars. I can't wait for the time when we truly threaten them again. It happened in 2009, which is is why that 4-1 was so sweet. We truly worried them during that run in. Shame it inspired them - and Howard Webb (see, you can't help yourself) - to new heights. The bastards. 
Looks like I chose the wrong day to feed the pigeons...

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 09:01:09 am »
A memory that you have tried to bury?
Being an Annie Road Ender singing “Whose that lying on the runway”.
Seemed funny in those days watching their fans go purple in rage.
When I got home and told my old fellah. He knocked 7 kinds of shite out of me.
Afterwards he explained how Matt Busby had been our Captain many years before. I never sung it again.

How have your feelings towards them changed over the years?
In the years of Charlton, Best and Law I admired them a great deal. Best was the best player I’d ever seen, Law was prolific and Charlton could score from Hunts Cross.
My hatred started as envy, when they won the European Cup. It was the only trophy we had never won. My hatred became complete when on the way home on the special from Hillsborough. Travelling through a station in Manchester someone had already painted on a Sandstone wall “89 SCOUSE BASTARDS DIED TODAY” I knew some had died but had not realised the toll was so high. Still sickens me. Always did, always will. 

Summary
I’m an old man now with grandkids, and I’ve quietened down considerably. The days of me being a HOOLIE are well behind me.
But,
 you can be sure that the next Manc who sends shite into my ear ‘ole will either get a verbal lashing or a black eye.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 02:32:26 pm by Veinticinco de Mayo »
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 10:48:47 am »
Just looked up stats for our games - unsurprisingly we are very, very close guys but here's the stats:

Played 182 competitve games (league games, Cups and Charity Shields)in total
United -
86 home games, Won 43 Lost 16, Drawn 27:
83 Anfield games Won 23, Lost 41 and Drawn 19.
13 neutral ground matches; United won 5, lost 4, drawn 4

Total goals scored to date: United 252 Liverpool 235.

So you need 17 at the weekend to draw level..... ::) ::) :P
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:34:55 am by Veinticinco de Mayo »
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Tony Drago

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Confessions of a Munich Singer...Quitting
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 11:19:00 pm »
As a general reader rather than poster I apologise if my first new thread isn't quite up to the mark or standard of that required of the rawk LFc forum, but hey ho. One of the threads I regularly used to read was the giving up smoking thread, as a smoker i found it very interesting and the thread title is something of a parody on that.

Let me first identify myself as someone who has regularly referred to the Mancs as "Munichs" in one form or another over the past few years, I have also sung WTDOTR both inside and outside of the ground. It's also mildy ironic given my professional occupation as a qualified pilot who currently flies hundreds of English tourists every week, too and from far flung destinations on behalf of a major UK tour operator.

My story begins in a bar in Brussels some 6 years ago. I was amongst a group of people I'd become acquainted with through a mutual love of the reds and we were amongst numerous others, ticketless in a bar, the night of the Anderlecht fixture in the Champions League. We had enjoyed a good afternoon of bevvying but owing to the pitiful allocation only 1 of our group of about 10 got a ticket. The rest of us had spent the afternoon and early evening getting smashed and generally having a good laugh. I can't even remember the match but as we were about to move onto another bar a couple of arl fellas at the bar burst into a bit of "Munich". One or two of us decided this wasn't on and confronted the fellas saying how out of order we thought they were. A voracious discussion ensued and we basically agreed to disagree. The upshot of the arl fellas argument was basically that the Mancs are horrible c*nts, no matter what we do they will always call us murderers, sing about how not enough died that day in Sheffield and how than sang in celebration at the first match after Shankly's death.

Fast forward a year or two. In the ensuing couple of years I had attended at least 6 games against the Mancs, during this time I had been in the Anfield road upper twice and had to listen to constant chants of "that day in Sheffield", the ever louder "murderers" "justice for the 39" and other such ditties. It was also a period when (as is the case now) frustration at the consistent refereeing bias towards the mancs, combined with the continuing horrible antics of Wayne Rooney and Mr Ferguson, alongside our continued lack of ability to mount a serious title challenge left many reds and myself with an immense sense of frustration. During this time I resolved to be as anti manc as possible. I still agree to this day that Andy@Allerton is completely correct in his regular supposition that they get most things their way and Fergie appears to be corrupt, but I digress somewhat. The crunch point for many in the support came at Old Trafford in March 2008. We had been subjected to an hour of "murderers" and "that day in sheffield" songs alongside what seemed like the whole of K stand giving us the choking gestures. Given the fact that once again the feelings of injustice, following the ridiculous dismissal of Mascherano by Steve Bennett who seemed to be on a mission to please the home crowd, were once again to the fore, pretty much the entire end, including myself, joined in with an in ground rendition of WTDOTR. Well needless to say the Mancs lapped it up. Despite this, a large chunk of our fans seemed to not notice this. At this point I resolved to NEVER ever sing a Munich song at a Utd fan, ever!

The rational behind this is entirely logical as well as having it's basis in fanatical and tribal fandom. I'm not ever going to pretend I don't hate them, I despise everything about that football club, I despise it's manager, I despise most of it's players, I despise their success and I despise their commercialisation of football which has helped to take football away from the common man. I despise that Wayne Rooney is a role model, he should've been shot at birth as frankly he is a vile individual. All that said the following needs to be taken note of.

The Manchester Utd players who died at Munich were a talented bunch of players who bore us no disrespect, they were guilty of nothing other than being sat in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Us singing these songs is disrespectful to the memory of those players (and journo's and club staff)

Us singing these songs gives Manchester Utd fans the justification they need to sing their vile Hillsborough songs

Those songs hurt us far more than us singing about Munich hurts them. They don't have a large chunk of their current support directly or indirectly affected by Munich.

In short, leaving aside the moral implications of gloryfying death of players, there is no benefit whatsover to us singing anything relating to Munich at them. It makes us look as bad as them which we're not.

If I had my time again I'd confront those two arl fellas back in Brussels in a different way. Yes we hate them, yes we have good reason to, but lets be proud of ourselves, let's sing about ourselves, sing a few ditties about there current bunch of players and lets put the reduced allocation of Mancs on Saturday, in their place without resorting to singing about death.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 02:48:59 pm »
I hope you all enjoy this as part of the buildup, there is a bit more to come, I will hopefully post the remainder tomorrow sometime.

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 04:40:30 pm »
Thanks to everyone who's contributed, really interesting read. :)

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 04:48:44 pm »
I hope you all enjoy this as part of the buildup, there is a bit more to come, I will hopefully post the remainder tomorrow sometime.

Thoroughly. For those of us who live far away from England, it is quite educational. Stuff like this makes this the  best forum there is.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 04:52:24 pm »
Just an exhortation to read the posts from The 92A, Cassiel and Wootonian as well as the OP.  They were all submitted as part of the same article but it seemed a shame to break up the flow of their heartfelt prose.  So they went in whole at the end.

Big thanks to everyone who responded especially our two tame United fans.  I hope you have a fantastic couple of days and a thoroughly miserable Saturday night lads ;)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 04:55:08 pm »
Cheers VDM - I was at that 92 game and it was one of the best atmospheres I can remember. As a kid growing up in the 80's there were no 'famous European nights' for me so I guess this was as good as it got back then. You're right about the whole revellingt in it thing. Constant abuse from start to finish! That's one of my favourite memories from this fixture, if not that then the 4-0 a year or two earlier when for the first time I realised  the level of feeling around the fixture.

Online exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 04:57:25 pm »
Great read. The 2-0 in '92 was my first Liverpool - United game in person.

You lost the title on Merseyside :)
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 04:59:59 pm »
Great read. The 2-0 in '92 was my first Liverpool - United game in person.

You lost the title on Merseyside :)

Have you ever seen United win the league? Ah, those were the days! Christ, it was that long ago that serial homewrecker was copping abuse for being a virgin.

I think I read an anecdote from somwehere that before the game he or Kanchelskis was asked for an autograph from a Scouser who then proceded to rip it up in front of him. Always tickled me for some reason!

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 05:09:09 pm »
Garstonite: "I think I've mellowed out in terms of my hatred towards things football-related. I joke a lot on here, but I don't really get too heavily wound up by much. Seeing them lift the Premier League year in year out in the telly, you grow to realise that there's not much you can do about it from your living room."
Have to say that is a very mature stance to take for someone so clearly immature.

Great thread, VdM.

Online exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 05:09:17 pm »
Have you ever seen United win the league? Ah, those were the days! Christ, it was that long ago that serial homewrecker was copping abuse for being a virgin.

I think I read an anecdote from somwehere that before the game he or Kanchelskis was asked for an autograph from a Scouser who then proceded to rip it up in front of him. Always tickled me for some reason!

:D

Sounds like Giggs, never really liked him - always thought he was too smarmy. That aside (and his other antics), the fact that he played in the game in '92 and will probably play some part on Sunday is a phenomenal achievement.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 05:28:07 pm »
This is a great idea, instead of the usual build-up these games get.

The first Liverpool v United game I remember was the one in 1978 at Old Trafford we won 3-0, the scorers were Ray Kennedy, Jimmy Case and David Fairclough. Good goal from Case, he had a shot on him.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Dan_YNWA

• Anny Roader
  • RAWK's resident Muslim
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 05:43:35 pm »
First LFC-Mancs U game I watched was the 2-1 away win we had against them in the 89/90 season. Yes the season we won number 18. The next season we crushed them 4-0 at Anfield with a Beardsley hattrick  :)

I'll always remember the 3-3 draw in the 93/94 season, because I was watching it with neighbours who were Mancs U fans. When they went 3-0 inside of 25 minutes I think, I thought they was going to batter us of course. But Cloughie scored twice and a Ruddock header got us the point  :)

But my favourite was the 4-1 win against them in the 2008/09 season  :D  To beat Mancs U is a good feeling, but to stuff them at Old Trafford is a great feeling :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 06:23:37 pm by Gareth »
The King is back!

YNWA

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 06:10:26 pm »
This thread puts a lot of things in perspective... great read and really pumped for Saturday...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 06:17:09 pm by 88_RED »
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 06:33:44 pm »
Fantastic thread, not sure how I missed it previously.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

royhendo

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 07:05:06 pm »
Enjoyed that Kev, thanks mate. :)

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 07:30:15 pm »
Interesting thread ,

Planty of memories of United games stretching back a fair while. As far as the toxic atmosphere , probably the most venomous period to my mind was during the mid to late 80's.

Rememember one game walking onto the Kop , and fuck me , it was pure evil. The hate's still there of course , but hard to compare with the 80's due to the the way the football in general has changed over the years .

There's a thread on Red Cafe tiltled ' Remember the enemy ' which sums up to a certain extent the blind hatred that still exists . Plenty of fuckin ballbags posting in there , but we've got a similar proportion ourselves . Some fair minded comments in the thread as well , a particular one is posted by fredthered on page 2 of the thread .Worth a gander .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 07:58:20 pm »
Just looked up stats for our games - unsurprisingly we are very, very close guys but here's the stats:

Played 182 competitve games (league games, Cups and Charity Shields)in total
United -
86 home games, Won 43 Lost 16, Drawn 27:
83 Anfield games Won 23, Lost 41 and Drawn 19.
13 neutral ground matches; United won 5, lost 4, drawn 4

17-0

What odds would Rooneys dad offer?
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 11:12:52 pm »
Nice stuff Kev.

I always think the lad with the dart in his nose looks quite chuffed to have it there. Not condoning it, like. But he does look mildly pleased.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 11:17:44 pm »
Spion Kop circa 18th April 1989........a barrier half way up...amongst scarfs of red and blue and many colours ..a traditional red and white bar one...old...from the sixties , someones pride and joy..carefully stiched into each section the names of that persons heroes.....Best...Charlton...Law etc

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 11:18:13 pm »
My 1st game was a 1 all draw at Anfield on 2nd January 1984. Was the game where Kevin Moran smashed Dalglish's cheekbone and put him out of action for a couple of months. Their fans cheered as the King was taken off, to which he responded by shaking his fist at them!! Was gutted when Whiteside equalised in Fergie time (they even had it when Atkinson was manager!!).

Favourite memories would be:

1. The 4-0 at Anfield when Beardsley got a hat-trick.
2. The 4-1 at Old Trafford, although I had stopped doing away games by then so was restricted to watching it with a few pints.
3. The Kuyt hat-trick game last season.
4. Any other win against them, and coming back from 3 down in 1994 to draw.

Worst memory would have to be the 'White Suits Final' in 1996. If the players had worn their kit with as much pride as they'd worn the suits that day then we'd have won that final as the Mancs were average while we were bad.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 08:13:32 am »
this was a great read, thanks for the effort putting it together
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2011, 10:02:32 am »
Cracking cracking read.  Something to go over again more deeply.  Guess we OOT's experience is quite different bu nonethelss the Mancs have been our top rival, rather than Everton.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2011, 11:22:47 am »
Great stuff. I'm now in trouble for reading all that & watching all the highlights when I should be elsewhere. So much to answer for.

one of the lads I go the match with works in Salford and he talks football with his workmates without problems.
Did this for years when I worked in Wythenshawe. Never any problems with the Man Utd fans there. Still wouldn't meet them in the pub though to watch the match!

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2011, 11:33:35 am »
VdM, do/did you have United supporting mates?  I thought that only happened outside of Liverpool.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2011, 11:37:59 am »
Enjoyed that, thanks for putting it together.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2011, 11:41:58 am »
VdM, do/did you have United supporting mates?  I thought that only happened outside of Liverpool.

I do mate.  Spent a long time at the uni and made some mates through playing footy with lads who weren't from here, three of whom were Man U ST holders (two were even Mancs). Decent lads though.  Bizarrely I also know one lad who was brought up in Liverpool and went to Liverpool College of all places, but he somehow thinks he's a Manc.  Not that I would class him as a mate like.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2011, 11:47:55 am »
I do mate.  Spent a long time at the uni and made some mates through playing footy with lads who weren't from here, three of whom were Man U ST holders (two were even Mancs). Decent lads though.  Bizarrely I also know one lad who was brought up in Liverpool and went to Liverpool College of all places, but he somehow thinks he's a Manc.  Not that I would class him as a mate like.
Honestly find that fascinating.  I grew up in London and the pull from the northern clubs is immense here.  So you get a mix.  I have a few United supporting friends but tend to avoid football talk with them and wouldn't ever go to a match with them.  Find it interesting that you guys actually meet up down south to go to matches.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2011, 11:54:35 am »
Honestly find that fascinating.  I grew up in London and the pull from the northern clubs is immense here.  So you get a mix.  I have a few United supporting friends but tend to avoid football talk with them and wouldn't ever go to a match with them.  Find it interesting that you guys actually meet up down south to go to matches.

That 1996 Cup Final was the only game between the two clubs where I've arranged to meet them before hand.  I've been to a few international games with them though, which is quite enjoyable as we share a healthy disdain for the national side.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2011, 12:05:28 pm »
That 1996 Cup Final was the only game between the two clubs where I've arranged to meet them before hand.  I've been to a few international games with them though, which is quite enjoyable as we share a healthy disdain for the national side.

2 of my best mates from school are United fans. We can’t watch games together any more ( I think the 4-0 defeat in 2003 was the last one I could stomach) but I made the ultimate mistake of watching the 96 Cup Final round one of their houses. Awful scenes when that goal went in, gives me nightmares to this day.

Offline Moray

• Kemlynite
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2011, 12:21:41 pm »

Glad to see you've assumed you're going to score 0!

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2011, 12:31:53 pm »
Just been thru the top posts. Excellent OP VdM, thank you.

And big thanks to all the contributors!
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2011, 12:45:21 pm »
Lovely idea, VdM; a great read.

This is one among a few threads on here that makes me feel quite sad to have only really been able to experience the Premier League era as a young football fan. And not just 'cause our dominance had ended by then, and that other lot had picked up the flag - I had all the books and videos growing up (via a Red uncle), but never got to actualy experience any of these 60s, 70s, 80s nights that sound pretty amazing, and very different from today's games. I can only imagine what it'd be like to have witnessed so many glorious moments from 1964-2006. Is there anyone on here who attended all our European Cup wins?

For some reason, the first "northwest derby" I recall really vividly is that 'Spice Boys' FA Cup final - probably 'cause it was one low point in an absolutely brilliant summer, as a boy into footy and music and so on. School jumpers for goalposts and all that.  ;D :'(
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2011, 01:16:53 pm »
16th December 2007
Rossobianchi: "If I had to pick one fond memory though, it would be O'Shea in front of the Kop. Watched it in a pub in Preston whilst at Uni and the place was pretty much split 50/50, and of course one side of the room went mental. Undeserved and with ten men - a crucial win en route to the title."
As is the nature of the fixture though, one man's banquet is another man's kick in the bollocks...

I'm guessing you're talking about The Assembly pub, if so I was there that day and remember being absolutely disgusted with the Utd fans chanting, I'm surprised their wasn't more fights than the couple I saw. Must say, it was the 1st time I'd ever heard those songs sung by that many outside of a stadium, apart from by the odd moron. Was a very nasty atmosphere and made it even worse losing in that manner when surrounded by said low lives.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Lucas DuoFlush

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Poulsy back!
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2011, 01:22:42 pm »
Not sure its in good taste to reference a song about the Moors murders in the title..
"Bos non modo animal, sed etiam mater" Lordanem Henderson