Author Topic: Round Table: Norwich 4 Liverpool 5  (Read 7231 times)

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Round Table: Norwich 4 Liverpool 5
« on: January 24, 2016, 10:13:02 pm »
On Round Table threads, we are supposed to be the posting equivalent of wise overseers, judiciously considering the events of the game from a respectful distance, nodding sagely and telling true things. We post in here trying to distil matters, to make some sense of a match, perhaps to learn something or pierce the after game fog with brilliant shafts of perspicacity. Sometimes, it falls to us to check the emotions, to rest a calming hand on the racing pulse of the site.

And then you get a game like that, a festival of incompetence, where we may as well write down some thoughts on little pieces of paper and then stuff them in our mewling gobs and spew them out like moist confetti, for all the good it will do. How are we to make sense of that? How is one to prevail on such a thing, to find some alignment or pattern in a box of drunk bees? It was a nonsense game, a jabberwocky of a contest put here (and this is my theory) to mock us, to guffaw at our aspirations. We thought we could analyse our team's performances. Analyse that.

We played shit, for the most part, and scored five goals. A corner may as well be a penalty against us right now. If there is a way for two centre halves and two midfielders to arrange themselves in such a manner as to not block a shot, despite the ball travelling within whisker distance of all four, well damn it, that's what we'll do. Why? Because fuck you. Think you have the points after normal time? Let us just concede then, make things interesting before going back up and poxing another one in, some tennis, a shitty clearing header and a demented stab into the turf. Seriously. I know we've always been about drama in this club, but seriously. That was nuts. That was a batshit game, a Sarah Palin speech of a game, a specimen of chaos theory.

The three points are nice, though.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 10:14:47 pm by Corkboy »

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Round Table: Norwich 4 Liverpool 5
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 03:14:03 pm »
After much careful consideration I can only put forward my tactical analysis:
blimey.
Yep.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 03:28:06 pm »
On Round Table threads, we are supposed to be the posting equivalent of wise overseers, judiciously considering the events of the game from a respectful distance, nodding sagely and telling true things. We post in here trying to distil matters, to make some sense of a match, perhaps to learn something or pierce the after game fog with brilliant shafts of perspicacity. Sometimes, it falls to us to check the emotions, to rest a calming hand on the racing pulse of the site.

And then you get a game like that, a festival of incompetence, where we may as well write down some thoughts on little pieces of paper and then stuff them in our mewling gobs and spew them out like moist confetti, for all the good it will do. How are we to make sense of that? How is one to prevail on such a thing, to find some alignment or pattern in a box of drunk bees? It was a nonsense game, a jabberwocky of a contest put here (and this is my theory) to mock us, to guffaw at our aspirations. We thought we could analyse our team's performances. Analyse that.

We played shit, for the most part, and scored five goals. A corner may as well be a penalty against us right now. If there is a way for two centre halves and two midfielders to arrange themselves in such a manner as to not block a shot, despite the ball travelling within whisker distance of all four, well damn it, that's what we'll do. Why? Because fuck you. Think you have the points after normal time? Let us just concede then, make things interesting before going back up and poxing another one in, some tennis, a shitty clearing header and a demented stab into the turf. Seriously. I know we've always been about drama in this club, but seriously. That was nuts. That was a batshit game, a Sarah Palin speech of a game, a specimen of chaos theory.

:lmao :lmao

:wellin :wellin

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 03:31:53 pm »

A+ would read again

Offline LincsRedbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 04:09:44 pm »
Crazy game and at times amateur defending from both sides but this could give us a bit of confidence in the attacking 3rd.

It also seems to me that we are not very vocal when defending. Kolo does well but he seems to be the only one. A simple "Man on" "Clear" "Time" etc could save us the panic but then surely that is the basic side to defending and it has already been addressed?

Oh and one point that had my blood boiling was Benteke getting caught offside which resulted in the free kick which then led to the late goal for Norwich made me so cross.

Such a lazy run if you can even call it a run if it was played better i.e across the defender he was through on goal game well and truly over (if he scores) Not as if he was tired after playing all game as he had only been on 5 mins.

I don't like getting on his back as there is a beast of a player in him and i hope we get it out but he wanted shooting for that.

Hard to discuss the game really so much wrong but what a way to win it and the celebrations at the end were fantastic.
Fought them all the way. Proud to be amongst some great supporters.

SOS member 4969        12.09.12 JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 04:29:16 pm »
One of the best games of football (entertainment) I've ever seen. I don't give a shit about mistakes and follies, this was punk rock and I fucking loved it. I'll take this heart attack football over a composed 1-0 win with fine passing and execution any day of the week.

I know this is probably too short for this thread but I'm sick and tired of people on here going into the abyss of anal analysis after a game like that. Are you not entertained!*

* Yeah, analysis (read: constant whinging over defensive mistakes) and entertainment are not mutually exclusive, but come on, this was special; we will probably not see a game like it again.

What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 04:30:53 pm »
I would like to add my perspicacity ... but, I have nothing to add even to a normal game. This game was not normal. This game was abnormal. Great innit?

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 04:44:23 pm »
This game evoked memories of the lunacy that was the 13/14 season - the 'score as many as you want, we'll just score more' mentality. Being two years older both mentally and definitely physically, I can't say that I can take too many of those finishes. Having said that, it was infinitely more enjoyable than a run-of-the-mill one-nil with little happening other than 90 predictable minutes. Klopp talks of football as being exciting, entertaining, a chance to leave your daily grind behind. Our boys didn't let us down on Saturday.

**At this point I'll pause my jubilance and flirt with negativity**

It's a pity that our defending nearly caused me to burst a blood vessel in my neck (the Moreno bellendery and the fucking corner, again), but the fighting spirit has somewhat dulled my rage at the entirely avoidable mistakes that gave a team as bad as Norwich the opportunity to put 4 past us. When you've spent the best part of 80 million quid (or thereabouts) on a back four, you should not be letting in 4 against the likes of Norwich. Additionally, the lack of a fast start hindered us as it simply encouraged Norwich to have a go at us. I actually thought Emre Can had his boots weighed down prior to kick-off, or there was some bizarre gravitational anomaly that made him look as if he was running in concrete. Likewise, the rest of the team had a hazy, foggy, trance-like state about them, as if they thought they just needed to turn up and Norwich would somehow gracefully bend over and take the obligatory slippering. Except they didn't; they harassed, they fought, they got their rewards for a bit of effort. The words 'oh for fucks sake' were repeatedly uttered in the house of zen, and as half time ticked past I had that sinking feeling again - the one from Newcastle, Watford, West Ham...

**End of negativity, all positive from hereon in**

The second half was a spirited fightback, prompted no doubt by a hefty half-time bollocking from the boss. The energy was there, Can and the rest of the midfield looked about 4 stone lighter, the speed of thought and speed of movement was at times joyous - I mentioned in the post-match thread that Firmino's movement reminded me a little of that Uruguayan Norwich botherer. He's clearly starting to become a bit more comfortable in his Premier League skin, and his incessant movement, self-berating and clinical finishing was something I could grow pretty content with seeing on a weekly basis. Lallana needs a particular mention because he did what he was sent on to do, namely make a difference. His performance was in total contrast to the weird exhibitions of dribbling, Cruyff turns and indecisiveness that have become something of an unwanted trademark of his this season. His celebration had the appearance of a man possessed, and relieved. This could be an important springboard for our Adam.

If anything, this lunatic game can be an important springboard for the club. We've got our swagger back - time to swing it at Stoke and book a trip back to Anfield South.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 05:11:16 pm »
That game was kind of like watching the Matrix for the first time. Hugely entertaining and exciting, but when you leave the cinema and attempt to think about it, it just makes no sense. It was a glorious afternoon of entertainment to be looked back fondly on. Let's not do again though.

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 05:25:47 pm »
If the game as whole defies analysis one part at least does not.

For the second time in three matches we altered the result with one of the last kicks of the game. Including the West Brom game that is three match results changed in the last seconds in the space of a month and a half. It's almost in danger of becoming a familiar feeling.

It won't matter a jot this season but bloody hell is that a good habit to be getting into! For me it's the most telling transformation of Klopp's time here.

Identified the problem. Fixed the Problem.

Bodes well.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 05:33:13 pm »
4-5 > 0-1

More of this, I say.

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 05:47:01 pm »
we score 5 with no true striker in the team for most of the game
we concede 4 against a relegation fodder team

i think it is high time that the fa starts promoting a performance based salary. There should be a minimum percentage of the salary that is taken home by default but another percentage that is split between personal performance and team performance.

to this day after so many years of following these prima donnas, I still cannot believe that after so much shite they still take home more then I can ever dream in a year every week.
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 06:12:20 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4gO7uemm6Yo&amp;ab_channel=Baracuss1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4gO7uemm6Yo&amp;ab_channel=Baracuss1</a>
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 06:21:11 pm »
For me the game was like watching two heavyweight boxing sluggers who were out on their feet. There were no tactics, a purist would wince at the lack of defence but oh boy oh boy, it was great entertainment. We pay our money to be entertained, not to dwell over the intricacies of a tactical 0-0 masterclass.

To reflect on the game we should look at the emotions and not the actual faults that were evident.

Analysis is a bit like looking at a Picasso painting using science or Mathematics. Somehow that just misses the pure art and message.

I went from being very positive to shouting at every single one of our players to "hmm, losing by one goal is still not good", to "score you bloody idiot", to knee slide number one, to WTF, to "GGGGGGGOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL" and kneeslide number 2.

What a game. What a beautiful Picasso of a game.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:11:44 pm by stockdam »
#JFT97

Offline jonnyr

• Anny Roader
  • We had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 06:24:22 pm »
We fix one or two problems, but one or two more are created or can crop up. Too many important fixtures, in so little time, with a new manager and staff etc. Going to leave this one as a happy memory, we should know where we need to improve, but it doesn't happen overnight and that was kind of a freak match.

Immediately have to turn our attention to the Stoke league cup semifinal 2nd leg. We have an advantage, but can't just sit on it and be hopeful. At home to Stoke is such a massive match where we need to show the same kind of tough defensive resolve (and control the game) as we did in our Europa League matches under Klopp (shame we don't have Lovren fit for this one especially).

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 06:59:29 pm »
If we won 30 games in the league a season like that I'd be a happy man , once my heart stays strong .

To have a bar full of Utd fans run into the lounge part of the bar laughing at 4/4 and watch their faces when we score the winner was priceless
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:03:52 pm by rocco »

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 07:06:10 pm »
I still love the term "Festival of incompetence" ;D
Yep.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 07:42:10 pm »

I know this is probably too short for this thread but I'm sick and tired of people on here going into the abyss of anal analysis after a game like that. Are you not entertained!

;)

On a slightly more serious note, I continue to be amazed at the fact we are so poor in both attacking and defending set pieces.  We must arguably be the worst in the league for it.  I would like to be a fly at the training ground to see what Klopp is doing to try and arrest this alarmingly poor state of affairs.  It's simply unacceptable for a club of our supposed stature and our players are not idiots.  Perhaps the musings over the height of our squad may have some bearing on this?

I'll happily take the win though, and the general "fuck you" to the other clubs who cherish shit on a stick football and want to bore the opposition into submission.  ;D

EDIT: Drunk Bees.  :lmao
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:44:27 pm by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 07:48:22 pm »
Great OP as pretty much sums up the match and the below sums up how our defence reacts when the ball comes into the box.

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Lazy Gun

• Anny Roader
  • My wife, Jurgena.
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 07:52:09 pm »
Still haven't stopped giggling about the game.  Sheer madness.  My wife and I have watched the last goal celebrations about a 1000 times.  Klopp is a joyous nutter and thankfully it seems to be infectious.
Believer

Online The Cobbler

• Main Stander
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 10:32:56 pm »
I thought I'd seen just about everything but being at Carrow Road on Saturday was the footballing equivalent of the X-Files. At the end of the lunacy that had passed for a Premier League game, I said to the bemused bloke in front of me that I'd never seen such an exciting pile of shit in my life. He just shrugged and said it was a win but he never wanted to go through anything like that again.

It was a spectacle but also a damning inditement of stupidity and incompetence. All presided over by the the refereeing version of Mr Pickwick, Lee Mason who projects mediocrity and ignorance in equal proportions.

It summed up that all is bad and good about our team today. Some breathtaking individual skill matched by mindless challenges and poor decision making. It was nothing to do with football just a swirling mass of energy, which blew back and forth.

I have no doubt that had there been another 2 minutes left after Lallana's winning goal, it would have ended up with at least 1 more goal. Both teams were simply brain dead and 5-5 or 4-6 would have ensued.

Did I enjoy it - No - not all......it was a clash of the incompetents with a large dash of casino thrown in. Call me old fashioned but I do like to see some organisation, craft, guile and intelligence as part of a winning display.

Moment of the game for me- Moreno's TWO stupid challenges on Naismith. Not content with chopping him down once, he then elected to repeat the dose as if to say - now you must have seen that one ref?
It was if time had stood still. Not even Lee Mason could miss that.

For the neutral on TV it must have been like Alice in Wonderland - for me in the ground it was like Nightmare on Fucking Elm Street.

Highlight of the weekend - the Chinese restaurant on Ber Street in Norwich on Saturday night - Dim Sum to die for - as for the bit between 12.45 pm and 2.45 pm - best forgotten and quickly.

Offline bodhisattva

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2016, 11:16:19 pm »
Klopp learning where the improvements need to be made while still winning games is the best possible scenario really, crazy game for the 2nd game in a row we concede a goal with about 4 of our players challenging for the same ball and losing out to one player, im not sure what the answer is to the problems we have, is it a matter of getting taller players in that are better at winning aerial duels? I think thats part of it as Paul Tomkins has been talking about this week but I also think a big part comes down to organisation and players taking control of situations and we just don't do that well enough at the moment, some of that is a personnel issue but I also think it comes down to mentality and as Klopp has said this week its like a self fulfilling prophecy at the moment with corners and set plays.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 08:51:18 am »
To speak sense for a game like this is far from possible...

It was a mad mad mad mad mad game.... absolutely bonkers. I don't think anything was learnt, but i also think something was learnt. Klopp when the fourth goal for Norwich went in, he basically went "FFS" and then sat down, probably deflated and who could blame him.

I think though the change is that despite that set back, we managed to pull a goal back. Not from a tactical move from Klopp (how would he with that amount of time...) but the players came together and pulled something back.

If i can take one thing away from the game, it's that. Should we have pulled it back, hell no, and would a team of better quality than Norwich would have allowed such a thing to happen... no they sure as hell wouldn't. However it's promising and it's maybe a start of a new mentality that Klopp has slowly introduced to the players and it's just starting to show. I'll mention Brendan Rodgers and his buzz word of "character" but a Brendan Rodgers side would not have done that, it would have been that.

However not that this way is sustainable. We can't afford to allow a 4 - 3 game go to 4 - 4 during injury time. It's bonkers, it's barking mad and it needs to stop, but until it does, if we get another game like that, another moshpit of a celebration like that then well i'm up for it... :D

I don't know if this is a legitimate question to ask, but is it time for league games, for us to start Caulker in the side? I think Sakho isn't quite fit yet and it's a double edged sword in terms of he's only going to gain match fitness by playing, but he has looked a little suspect during this rehabilitation time?

Also for Joe Allen, should he be more involved? Should there be an emphasis on rotating the midfield 3 a bit more?

For the left back position, should Brad Smith start to get more involved now to provide competition for Moreno? Would this help Moreno cut out his ridiculous defensive mistakes or is it putting too much on Brad Smith much like it became too much for Joe Gomez being the first choice left back at such a young age?

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 09:20:45 am »
Here is a very detailed analysis I saw on Reddit documenting possible errors in how the 4 goals were conceded. I hope the links in the post still work. Could do without the word 'blame'. That aside, take a look.
https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/42jcdc/blame_game_the_four_goals_conceded_against_norwich/

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2016, 09:32:17 am »
Here is a very detailed analysis I saw on Reddit documenting possible errors in how the 4 goals were conceded. I hope the links in the post still work. Could do without the word 'blame'. That aside, take a look.
https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/42jcdc/blame_game_the_four_goals_conceded_against_norwich/

With regard to the second goal,  Is it reasonable for Lucas to position himself as he does to cut off the pass to the otherwise free Norwich forward and expect the others,  Can probably, to track the runner?  It's obvious Lucas knows there is a forward behind him and he's proactively marking the pass. I'd argue Emre should have tracked the runner given that he's completely disengaged with the defensive side of the play. I think Lucas knows that if he does track the runner there is a free man behind him - he's caught beteween a rock and a hard place. Lucas tracked runners well for the whole of the game and generally does so there must have been a reason he made the decision not to track Naismiths run here.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 09:34:35 am by leivapool »
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2016, 09:36:14 am »
With regard to the second goal,  Is it reasonable for Lucas to position himself as he does to cut off the pass to the otherwise free Norwich forward and expect the others,  Can probably, to track the runner?  It's obvious Lucas knows there is a forward behind him and he's proactively marking the pass. I'd argue Emre should have tracked the runner given that he's completely disengaged with the defensive side of the play. I think Lucas knows that if he does track the runner there is a free man behind him - he's caught beteween a rock and a hard place as Lucas tracked runners well for the whole of the game and generally does.

It should be reasonable to offer more than this as a reason for Lucas not moving  :)
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline MightyRedLFC

• Main Stander
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2016, 09:52:31 am »
I think I experienced every emotion on the emotion chart during that game. For all our weaknesses, Klopp has brought in a fantastic never say die attitude. Thoroughly enjoyed that.  All is well that ends well.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2016, 11:18:28 am »
With regard to the second goal,  Is it reasonable for Lucas to position himself as he does to cut off the pass to the otherwise free Norwich forward and expect the others,  Can probably, to track the runner?  It's obvious Lucas knows there is a forward behind him and he's proactively marking the pass. I'd argue Emre should have tracked the runner given that he's completely disengaged with the defensive side of the play. I think Lucas knows that if he does track the runner there is a free man behind him - he's caught beteween a rock and a hard place. Lucas tracked runners well for the whole of the game and generally does so there must have been a reason he made the decision not to track Naismiths run here.
No, definitely not. His priority is the runner - that's the immediate threat he has to deal with. There is a little loss in organisation before then anyway because everyone's trying to get into shape after defending a corner (notice that Toure ends up at LCB with Sakho at RCB). We kind of end up getting caught between pushing up and getting into shape, which is why Henderson gets sucked towards the left, because he's covering for Lucas, who's tried to close down further up. Milner's high up the pitch so Can is also covering for him on the left and trying to lock down the wide area with Moreno. Ideally Ibe would drop to help cover for Henderson being out of position but regardless, the immediate threat for Lucas is the run from Naismith. If the ball goes to the player on the edge of the box we can recover and push out (if Lucas even is actually trying to block the pass; I think it's fairly clear he's not even doing that). Letting the run go there is criminal.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 12:31:41 pm »
No, definitely not. His priority is the runner - that's the immediate threat he has to deal with. There is a little loss in organisation before then anyway because everyone's trying to get into shape after defending a corner (notice that Toure ends up at LCB with Sakho at RCB). We kind of end up getting caught between pushing up and getting into shape, which is why Henderson gets sucked towards the left, because he's covering for Lucas, who's tried to close down further up. Milner's high up the pitch so Can is also covering for him on the left and trying to lock down the wide area with Moreno. Ideally Ibe would drop to help cover for Henderson being out of position but regardless, the immediate threat for Lucas is the run from Naismith. If the ball goes to the player on the edge of the box we can recover and push out (if Lucas even is actually trying to block the pass; I think it's fairly clear he's not even doing that). Letting the run go there is criminal.

Fair enough,  cheers
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 12:46:27 pm »
Sunday League after a night on the piss is the only way to describe it.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 01:24:32 pm »
It's the antidote we needed after we lost the game to United last week. And I really feel we lost that one rather that United won it. Van Gaals tactics were spot on against us. Not because he's a football genius , because they seem to play that way every game. But it was the perfect way to play against us. Soak up the pressure, hit us on a set piece. A combination of luck and players that aren't as bad as the system makes them out to be means somehow they aren't staring relegation in the face. Sorry, you can tell I've not had time to post in the Man U round table.

Couple of questions to throw into the mix from those that get to see more of the games that I do!
1) Was Moreno's challenge(s) , and stupider than Mertesacker's? (Mertesacker isn't a world class CB, but he's been part of a pretty solid defence for a while now)
2) It's slowly coming from RAWK to the attention of the press how few headers we win (although my brief look at the stats suggested it's not god awful). Would our defending benefit greatly if we could win more headers? Ie is the basic organisation there, but organised around winning headers. Again from the United game, corner into Fellani, who is going to win that against most teams, but our fear of him in the air leads to Rooney being left unmarked.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.