Author Topic: Re: Steven Gerrard's Serialised Book -A Fan's Perspective-  (Read 29934 times)

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: Steven Gerrard's Serialised Book -A Fan's Perspective-
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2015, 09:05:59 am »
Not painting him in the brightest light is it?

His brains are in his feet most likely.

There's hardly anyone at the club that hasn't been embarrassed by this book, it's his right to write it but it seems to have been published at an awfully unfortunate time. Makes us look amateurish.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2015, 11:39:50 am »
His brains are in his feet most likely.

There's hardly anyone at the club that hasn't been embarrassed by this book, it's his right to write it but it seems to have been published at an awfully unfortunate time. Makes us look amateurish.

No need to write the book.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Re: Steven Gerrard's Serialised Book -A Fan's Perspective-
« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2015, 11:45:18 am »
Another point, he wanted to have a go at Rodgers for not starting him versus United?

He let the Club down coming on and getting sent off in a massive game as clearly annoyed.

No excuse for that.

Guy won't make it as a coach. Simple as that.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2015, 12:04:03 pm »
Another point, he wanted to have a go at Rodgers for not starting him versus United?

He let the Club down coming on and getting sent off in a massive game as clearly annoyed.

No excuse for that.

It really does show a selfish side to him. I guess every player will want to play every game and will get upset especially not being part of such a huge game, but it appears that Gerrard thought he had a God given right to start games even at the age of 34. I think two of the biggest reasons for why we struggled early last season was Brendan's persistence with a badly out of form Lovren and Gerrard. Lovren is on him no doubt, but I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for Brendan to drop Gerrard for the first time.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2015, 12:18:08 pm »

I've long thought this.

It really does show a selfish side to him. I guess every player will want to play every game and will get upset especially not being part of such a huge game, but it appears that Gerrard thought he had a God given right to start games even at the age of 34. I think two of the biggest reasons for why we struggled early last season was Brendan's persistence with a badly out of form Lovren and Gerrard. Lovren is on him no doubt, but I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for Brendan to drop Gerrard for the first time.

Not saying Gerrard is right, but I am just not quite sure why Brendan thought leaving him out of the big games was the right idea. Leave him out of games against weaker opposition, not tight games we need to win where a set piece, penalty, or just a big game mentality and experience is required. Games like Real Madrid away and United are games where he could make a difference, and the rest of the players should have enough to see off lower teams. I personally think Brendan made some very wrong choices about how to go about resting him for the odd game. Not saying he was wrong to rest him, it was obviously the right thing to be doing, we all saw his legs going, but I would have chosen different games for him to sit out.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2015, 12:27:18 pm »
Maybe it's a case of 'don't get to know your heroes too well' - but wow he really is coming across as a thick bellend in all of this.

He probably sees it as an 'honest opinion' which he has a right to voice, but I think he'll make a fantastic (if that's the right word) pundit for the general thick as pigshit masses.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2015, 12:39:19 pm »
Re the Utd game, he didn't have a go though, did he. If all he's done is thought about voicing his anger, plenty of players, even those with timid reps would have done far worse. This is Gerrard missing out v Utd! Don't have an issue with this bit.

It's the timing of the criticism re Rodgers being published with the situation the manager finds himself now that is horrible, to be fair that's plain bad luck, the time frame to serialise it would have been agreed before our problems on the pitch.

The utter break with reality about Hodgson's tenure is plain bizarre. Is there even one thread on here that was calling for Kenny ahead of Hodgson?? It was talk of Hodgson (duh), Pellegrini and a few others, but mostly the focus was the protests. He was playing just a few feet away from the fans but the more things come out, it might as well have been a thousand miles.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2015, 12:54:22 pm »
I doubt there was a single Liverpool supporter anywhere on the planet that expected Kenny to take over, if Hodgson was sacked.

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2015, 04:42:14 am »

No excuse for that.

He really, really, really, really didn't. If anyone read beyond sensationalized headlines. He says about three times he still respects Brendan's decision for not playing him, that he understood why he didn't. He's explaining the story  I don't understand why people can't seem to separate the difference between explaining a situation and placing blame. He fully accepted responsibility for what happened. Of course he fucking did.

Same goes with the blaming Brendan for the slip headlines as well. Christ. He is in no way trying to place the blame on Brendan for what happened. He spends a whole chapter talking about taking responsibility for fucking everything up against Chelsea. He's just expressing his opinion that because it was Mourinho and Mourinho was notorious for parking the bus, a different game plan might have been a better idea.

Stop just believing what the headlines want you to believe. Actually read what he's saying and pick up on how he constantly talks of how much he respects Brendan and for that matter, how much he respects Rafa. Only says it about a dozen times. But people don't care to pay attention.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2015, 04:21:10 pm »
Great OP

Honestly one of the best posts i've read on here. Stevies been an outstanding player but i think he would make a terrible manager ,many say he should be a pundit but i don't think he would be great at that either personally, he has such a warped view of the game

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #130 on: October 2, 2015, 07:46:34 am »
Great OP

Honestly one of the best posts i've read on here. Stevies been an outstanding player but i think he would make a terrible manager ,many say he should be a pundit but i don't think he would be great at that either personally, he has such a warped view of the game

He'd be a fantastic pundit. He's got the same narrow-minded, daft views as everyone else on TV.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: October 4, 2015, 03:15:52 pm »
An astonishing polemic mate.

As a maverick scouse footballing giant Stevie frequently made the heart soar. As a fellow human being, reading snatches of his tittle tattle unworthy of bitching adolescents makes the flesh creep.

Your incredible riposte furnishing missing truth and perspective to a snide attempt at deriding a great man has ensured decency is restored.

We thank you.

:)

+1

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2015, 09:40:41 pm »
Just got around to this one, (note to self: frequent this sub-forum more often).

Two things; 1. an E2K and RAWK highlight post. You know where to archive it. And 2. Timbo's response from 'us'.

There both could, and perhaps should?, be a comment about the footballing legend that is Steven Gerrard, but you know what, I really don't want to...
@Yvanicuzz

Offline SmallwoodRed

• Kopite
  • remember april 1989
« Reply #133 on: December 29, 2015, 03:11:23 pm »
E2K - I was given his book as a present at Christmas and felt uneasy about reading it. Oddly it opened itselt at the Hard Facts chapter about the 2008/9 season like an old copy of Lady Chatterleys Lover. Clearly people have had a read of this in the shop - I am hoping as a result of your brilliant critique. Thanks for articulating so well what I felt when reading it.

I think what stands out for me most of all  about his relationaship with Benitez (aside from the snide digs such as 'others (players) couldn't stand him') is the fact his seems so far removed in understanding what is important to us as fans. Us who paid his wages and who the club exists for.My strongest memories of that period are Ferguson slumped in the dugout at Old Trafford in the 4-1 defeat as the seats emptied, or Mourinho looking despondent for a second time in 3 years after losing a Champions leage semi final. I remember the 70s and 80s and yet moments of those five years matched anything in that time. For those who are too young to have experienced the glory years before 1990 Rafa gave an opportunity to feel for a that period what it was like and its something we have never really got close to since.
For us it was all about Liverpool the club and against the likes of Chelsea and their plastic flags and Mourinho and his money and Ferguson and his bullying and our bitter rivalry with them.  During that period of 2005-2010 I would have rather eaten a dog turd than pay Ferguson a compliment for his so called mind games, or entertained the idea that Mourinho could have managed Liverpool.
Meanwhile Gerrard would have apparently happily worked with either of them that so long as they gave him a pat and kept paying him compliments. Just about sums him up.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: December 29, 2015, 10:34:25 pm »

:wellin

The book has appeared in my Mums this week, I've not even so much as picked it up.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline andspecks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: December 30, 2015, 07:42:16 am »
E2K - I was given his book as a present at Christmas and felt uneasy about reading it. Oddly it opened itselt at the Hard Facts chapter about the 2008/9 season like an old copy of Lady Chatterleys Lover. Clearly people have had a read of this in the shop - I am hoping as a result of your brilliant critique. Thanks for articulating so well what I felt when reading it.

I think what stands out for me most of all  about his relationaship with Benitez (aside from the snide digs such as 'others (players) couldn't stand him') is the fact his seems so far removed in understanding what is important to us as fans. Us who paid his wages and who the club exists for.My strongest memories of that period are Ferguson slumped in the dugout at Old Trafford in the 4-1 defeat as the seats emptied, or Mourinho looking despondent for a second time in 3 years after losing a Champions leage semi final. I remember the 70s and 80s and yet moments of those five years matched anything in that time. For those who are too young to have experienced the glory years before 1990 Rafa gave an opportunity to feel for a that period what it was like and its something we have never really got close to since.
For us it was all about Liverpool the club and against the likes of Chelsea and their plastic flags and Mourinho and his money and Ferguson and his bullying and our bitter rivalry with them.  During that period of 2005-2010 I would have rather eaten a dog turd than pay Ferguson a compliment for his so called mind games, or entertained the idea that Mourinho could have managed Liverpool.
Meanwhile Gerrard would have apparently happily worked with either of them that so long as they gave him a pat and kept paying him compliments. Just about sums him up.
When did he ever say he wanted to work with Ferguson? :lmao

A guy who does endless charity work, showed incredible loyalty that's unheard of in modern football, and gave this club the best memories its had for 15 odd years and him liking Mourinho just about sums him up. Seems a fair opinion that.

Offline SmallwoodRed

• Kopite
  • remember april 1989
« Reply #136 on: December 30, 2015, 09:23:21 am »
When did he ever say he wanted to work with Ferguson? :lmao

A guy who does endless charity work, showed incredible loyalty that's unheard of in modern football, and gave this club the best memories its had for 15 odd years and him liking Mourinho just about sums him up. Seems a fair opinion that.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Firstly regarding the charity work - Im sure he does lots. So do many other people I dont know him personally. I'm not referring to him as an individual outside of the job he does. The chapter and discussion is specifically about 2008/9 season and his relationship with managers both at Liverpool and other clubs, and how this reflects on him as a player and person in the club. I cant possibly comment on whether hes a nice guy or not any more than you can (unless of course you do know him personally? I am presuming not).

I do think its fair to make an assessment of what drove him as a player and the impact that had on the club and those around him during what was a watershed period for Liverpool. After all isnt that what the books about?

Secondly, accepted he doesnt actually state in print that he would happily work for Ferguson, though he does explicitly state he would have preferred to work for Mourinho instead of Benitez which is arguably worse. When you consider his willingness to paint Ferguson in such a positive light regarding his 'mind games'  ('I've got him. i've got him' rubbish) and Benitez apparrent failure despite how actually the season panned out following the 'facts' press conference, I think its fair to conclude that he had a higher opinion of Ferguson than Rafa. As a lifelong supporter and someone who has contributed my hard earned money to his fortune week in week out, I think I am entitled to find this mindset alarming.

Thirdly, its interesting how you refer to it being Gerrard who gave us 'the best memories its had for 15 odd years' as a club, as though noone else was involved both as managers, players or backroom staff. It would be incredible to deny that Gerrards influence as a player and to not admire the moments of individual brilliance but I dont think that was ever up for discussion in this thread. What was being considered was how Gerrard appeared to largely discount the role of others (particularly Benitez) in putting him in a position to display his talents surrounded by world class players. Yet his overriding memory seems to be about a list of negatives (cold personality, players couldnt stand him etc)

What leaves a really sour taste is that I dont think the chapter is an accident - its a clear demolition job on Benitez both in the honest criticisms he makes (fair enough) but also the way he praises Benitez positives almost as though they are faults e.g. the cold personality, the lack of praise etc. Interestingly he accepts that Benitez was a great tactician but then qualifies this by stating he felt Mourinho was better even despite having never played with him and never have been defeated by him whilst playing for Rafa over 2 legs.

Finally, regarding your point on loyalty. This has to be considered in context. Accepted he stayed with Liverpool for this entire career and for that deserves credit. However, he did nearly leave twice for reasons that are still not clear. Equally, there have been clear moments of disloyalty. You would have had to be have been looking the other way to have not seen his clear headshake in full view of the cameras (replayed numerous times by Sky) about Torres subsitution in the Birmingham away game in 2010 (despite Torres later being diagnosed with an injury that kept him sidelined for the remainder of the season). As E2K points out, the resounding silence when support was needed for Benitez whilst trying to push out Hicks and Gillett again spoke volumes for his motives.
If you read the 'Epic Swindle' you will see Gerrards explanation of why he apparently gave up chasing the league after 3 defeats in early 2010- the reason being they had only lost twice the previous season and still fell short so it was of course done and dusted that they had no chance. Really?
How about as recently as a year ago when the new contract failed we heard on FA Cup Match of the Day, a succession of criticisms against the club from his mouthpiece pundits, firstly Lineker, then Shearer then finally Murphy about why they had not given him a new contract.  As with the apparent support for Hodgson from Murphy in 2010 again it would be naive to suggest that this was not part of a strategy from Gerrards end. I have no direct proof but the bitterness displayed by Gerrard in the chapter to me confirms my original suspicions (as I think it does many other peoples)

The chapter clearly paints a picture of a man who loved the adoration and success and patently needed someone to keep reminding him of who he was and how great he was. Mourinho (a man of many motives) was keen to praise him from afar for reasons best known to himself. Gerrard comes across as happier to suck this up and discount Benitez for not doing the same, than accept the obvious reality that he career was never the same after Benitez left.

Offline andspecks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: December 30, 2015, 11:10:42 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts.

Firstly regarding the charity work - Im sure he does lots. So do many other people I dont know him personally. I'm not referring to him as an individual outside of the job he does. The chapter and discussion is specifically about 2008/9 season and his relationship with managers both at Liverpool and other clubs, and how this reflects on him as a player and person in the club. I cant possibly comment on whether hes a nice guy or not any more than you can (unless of course you do know him personally? I am presuming not).

I do think its fair to make an assessment of what drove him as a player and the impact that had on the club and those around him during what was a watershed period for Liverpool. After all isnt that what the books about?

Secondly, accepted he doesnt actually state in print that he would happily work for Ferguson, though he does explicitly state he would have preferred to work for Mourinho instead of Benitez which is arguably worse. When you consider his willingness to paint Ferguson in such a positive light regarding his 'mind games'  ('I've got him. i've got him' rubbish) and Benitez apparrent failure despite how actually the season panned out following the 'facts' press conference, I think its fair to conclude that he had a higher opinion of Ferguson than Rafa. As a lifelong supporter and someone who has contributed my hard earned money to his fortune week in week out, I think I am entitled to find this mindset alarming.

Thirdly, its interesting how you refer to it being Gerrard who gave us 'the best memories its had for 15 odd years' as a club, as though noone else was involved both as managers, players or backroom staff. It would be incredible to deny that Gerrards influence as a player and to not admire the moments of individual brilliance but I dont think that was ever up for discussion in this thread. What was being considered was how Gerrard appeared to largely discount the role of others (particularly Benitez) in putting him in a position to display his talents surrounded by world class players. Yet his overriding memory seems to be about a list of negatives (cold personality, players couldnt stand him etc)

What leaves a really sour taste is that I dont think the chapter is an accident - its a clear demolition job on Benitez both in the honest criticisms he makes (fair enough) but also the way he praises Benitez positives almost as though they are faults e.g. the cold personality, the lack of praise etc. Interestingly he accepts that Benitez was a great tactician but then qualifies this by stating he felt Mourinho was better even despite having never played with him and never have been defeated by him whilst playing for Rafa over 2 legs.

Finally, regarding your point on loyalty. This has to be considered in context. Accepted he stayed with Liverpool for this entire career and for that deserves credit. However, he did nearly leave twice for reasons that are still not clear. Equally, there have been clear moments of disloyalty. You would have had to be have been looking the other way to have not seen his clear headshake in full view of the cameras (replayed numerous times by Sky) about Torres subsitution in the Birmingham away game in 2010 (despite Torres later being diagnosed with an injury that kept him sidelined for the remainder of the season). As E2K points out, the resounding silence when support was needed for Benitez whilst trying to push out Hicks and Gillett again spoke volumes for his motives.
If you read the 'Epic Swindle' you will see Gerrards explanation of why he apparently gave up chasing the league after 3 defeats in early 2010- the reason being they had only lost twice the previous season and still fell short so it was of course done and dusted that they had no chance. Really?
How about as recently as a year ago when the new contract failed we heard on FA Cup Match of the Day, a succession of criticisms against the club from his mouthpiece pundits, firstly Lineker, then Shearer then finally Murphy about why they had not given him a new contract.  As with the apparent support for Hodgson from Murphy in 2010 again it would be naive to suggest that this was not part of a strategy from Gerrards end. I have no direct proof but the bitterness displayed by Gerrard in the chapter to me confirms my original suspicions (as I think it does many other peoples)

The chapter clearly paints a picture of a man who loved the adoration and success and patently needed someone to keep reminding him of who he was and how great he was. Mourinho (a man of many motives) was keen to praise him from afar for reasons best known to himself. Gerrard comes across as happier to suck this up and discount Benitez for not doing the same, than accept the obvious reality that he career was never the same after Benitez left.

He doesn't explicitly say he wishes Mourinho took over instead of Rafa at all, stop making things up to try and paint him in a bad light. He says Mourinho could have been a good fit here years ago. If you read more than just one chapter you'd see he praises Rafa throughout the book. Calls him the best he's worked with. He says that Rafa got the best out of him over and over again.

I mean I'm not discrediting other players and managers contributions over the last 15 years, but if you think we would have won as much as we did without Gerrard you're kidding yourself. Pretty much every player he's played with has said the same. His goals in finals alone.

Your claims trying to discredit his loyalty are genuinely hilarious. Being frustrated at our best chance at a goal in a game we needed to score in discredits his loyalty? :lmao And you can claim Stevie's silence mattered but it really didn't make any difference. He talks about this in his book too, but you didn't bother to read and give yourself and context on the chapter you did read. There's just too much on this post to even dissect. It makes no sense. Murphy and Linekar saying the club should have done more with the contract means Stevie's loyalty is questioned? :lmao You'd be hard pressed to find a single football pundit or journalist who was praising the club for their treatment of him. The whole Gerrard pushed the Hodgson appointment is just another rubbish RAWK theory that's been taken as gospel. Cecil admitted to talking to Hodgson in early 2010 when Rafa was still in charge on his own accord recently I think?

It must be exhausting looking for so many reasons to dislike a guy. Stevie respects Rafa as a manager and has said so COUNTLESS fucking times. This website just refuses to acknowledge it.

Offline SmallwoodRed

• Kopite
  • remember april 1989
« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2015, 10:53:00 am »
He doesn't explicitly say he wishes Mourinho took over instead of Rafa at all, stop making things up to try and paint him in a bad light. He says Mourinho could have been a good fit here years ago. If you read more than just one chapter you'd see he praises Rafa throughout the book. Calls him the best he's worked with. He says that Rafa got the best out of him over and over again.

I mean I'm not discrediting other players and managers contributions over the last 15 years, but if you think we would have won as much as we did without Gerrard you're kidding yourself. Pretty much every player he's played with has said the same. His goals in finals alone.

Your claims trying to discredit his loyalty are genuinely hilarious. Being frustrated at our best chance at a goal in a game we needed to score in discredits his loyalty? :lmao And you can claim Stevie's silence mattered but it really didn't make any difference. He talks about this in his book too, but you didn't bother to read and give yourself and context on the chapter you did read. There's just too much on this post to even dissect. It makes no sense. Murphy and Linekar saying the club should have done more with the contract means Stevie's loyalty is questioned? :lmao You'd be hard pressed to find a single football pundit or journalist who was praising the club for their treatment of him. The whole Gerrard pushed the Hodgson appointment is just another rubbish RAWK theory that's been taken as gospel. Cecil admitted to talking to Hodgson in early 2010 when Rafa was still in charge on his own accord recently I think?

It must be exhausting looking for so many reasons to dislike a guy. Stevie respects Rafa as a manager and has said so COUNTLESS fucking times. This website just refuses to acknowledge it.

I'm sorry its upsets you so much that someone else has a different opinion. I dont hate Steven Gerrard and I dont spend my time looking for reasons to dislike him. Its a forum that people were discussing his book. Its a shame you have to become personal when I respect your opinion even though I dont agree with you.

Just to follow up on your points:

- I have read the whole book

- If you dont see page 202 as stating a direct preference to working with Mourinho rather than Rafa then fair enough. If one of your staff at work stated they would have had a better relationship with another boss other than you I cant see you would take that any other way?

- Noones denying Gerrard contribution to the club on the pitch. I never did.  Im not sure why you keep bringing this up? The whole point this is interesting about Gerrard is that is he is such a great player. its the one thing that is undeniable.

- Gerrards silence mattered a great deal. His influence is bigger than any other Liverpool player. Had he publicly backed Rafa who knows what would have happened but it would certainly strengthened his position at a time when he was most vulnerable.

- The club had to cut ties with Gerrard last season as it was well overdue. Who knows whether it was handled well or not. We are not privy to the conversations that take place inside the club. More importantly nor are Lineker, Murphy and Shearer and yet they seemed well versed on what had gone on and not one looked at the balanced viewpoint that maybe Gerrard was well past his best and a difficult issue to manage while still having a presence at the club (the United game being a classic example). You claim my view is laughable and then state the oracle of all football judgment with the Gerrard contract came from pundits and journalists??? Im not sure how far you go back but I can guarrantee that Liverpool managers of the past would have sold Gerrard at least 3 years ago. Are you not surprised that viewpoint was not at least offered out by Murphy, Lineker and Shearer? I'm not on my own in seeing this as a pretty massive coincidence considering they are all mates. Fair enough if you see it differently but its not some sort of RAWK conspiracy. Regarding Purlsow you take anything he says as genuine? Really??

- On the Birmingham game 2010. Its cut and dried - the manager makes a substitution in what he sees as the best interests of the player and team. You dont openly dissent against it in full view of the camera irrespective of your personal views. Captain leading by example??

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 1, 2016, 03:58:48 am »
Fucking no chance Cecil didn't speak to senior players before appointing that prick imo. Wasn't it Curbishley they wanted before Rafa was appointed? Probably had a hand in the Cole signing too.  :lmao How close was he from signing for Chelsea btw if you are talking about loyalty? How instrumental was he in dealing with the cancers? Said nothing when the club was going down the gutter,  where as others had the backbone to speak out. A great on the pitch, less so off it.
« Last Edit: January 1, 2016, 04:02:35 am by DangerScouse »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #140 on: January 1, 2016, 09:09:52 pm »
- The club had to cut ties with Gerrard last season as it was well overdue. Who knows whether it was handled well or not. We are not privy to the conversations that take place inside the club. More importantly nor are Lineker, Murphy and Shearer and yet they seemed well versed on what had gone on and not one looked at the balanced viewpoint that maybe Gerrard was well past his best and a difficult issue to manage while still having a presence at the club (the United game being a classic example). You claim my view is laughable and then state the oracle of all football judgment with the Gerrard contract came from pundits and journalists??? Im not sure how far you go back but I can guarrantee that Liverpool managers of the past would have sold Gerrard at least 3 years ago.

Completely agree. I for one don't want Gerrard back at the club in a coaching capacity, as we all know how it will end up. Paisley probably would have sold him a few years earlier. He sold Terry McDermott two years after he won the FWA and PFA Player of the Year awards, even though he'd scored 14 goals in 29 games the season prior.He also sold England captain Emlyn Hughes barely two years after winning the FWA Player of the Year.  Quiet, but ruthless.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #141 on: January 2, 2016, 12:56:26 am »
it would seem even now Gerrard is still a bit like Marmite in here
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #142 on: January 2, 2016, 10:11:22 am »
it would seem even now Gerrard is still a bit like Marmite in here

Don't see eye to eye with Rafa and you're history it seems with some fans, same goes with any ex red who offer their valid, professional opinion on Benitez. If it doesn't fit their agenda then the player in question gets slated.

Personally, I value and respect Gerrard's opinion, cos as an individual he is perfectly entitled to it. I also happen to agree with most of his views as well.

Gerrard would have loved playing under Klopp, would have got all the warmth, respect and recognition he undoubtably deserved for his services to the club and his major involvement in winning the 2 trophies under Rafa's reign.

And what's wrong with wanting a bit of 'love' from your boss, same goes with any job, we all like to be well thought off and appreciated for our efforts with a bit of human emotion. Klopp has that attitude in spades, the hugs and handshakes after the game, his bigging up of players etc.

I think Gerrard would have thrived under Klopp's man management skills.

People can dress it up anyway they like and build there case around loads of reasons, but in my opinion the reason they have a go at Gerrard is cos he didn't adore the ground Benitez walked on, acknowledging and respecting  him a as manager was obviously not enough for some.

Puzzles me why people think like this, why is it so important to them Gerrard (and everyone else it seems for that matter) have the same adulation for Rafa as themselves.

It shouldn't affect how you feel about him, why get so upset if others (who knew him in a professional capacity unlike any fan could possibly hope to) don't feel the same way.

I would love to see Gerrard back at the club in some capacity, he's the best player I've seen in 50 years of following the team. He's a proper local legend who has never forgotten his roots. It actually amazes me some people want to see the back of such a person.

« Last Edit: January 2, 2016, 10:15:38 am by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #143 on: January 2, 2016, 11:16:26 am »
Don't see eye to eye with Rafa and you're history it seems with some fans, same goes with any ex red who offer their valid, professional opinion on Benitez. If it doesn't fit their agenda then the player in question gets slated.

Personally, I value and respect Gerrard's opinion, cos as an individual he is perfectly entitled to it. I also happen to agree with most of his views as well.

Gerrard would have loved playing under Klopp, would have got all the warmth, respect and recognition he undoubtably deserved for his services to the club and his major involvement in winning the 2 trophies under Rafa's reign.

And what's wrong with wanting a bit of 'love' from your boss, same goes with any job, we all like to be well thought off and appreciated for our efforts with a bit of human emotion. Klopp has that attitude in spades, the hugs and handshakes after the game, his bigging up of players etc.

I think Gerrard would have thrived under Klopp's man management skills.

People can dress it up anyway they like and build there case around loads of reasons, but in my opinion the reason they have a go at Gerrard is cos he didn't adore the ground Benitez walked on, acknowledging and respecting  him a as manager was obviously not enough for some.

Puzzles me why people think like this, why is it so important to them Gerrard (and everyone else it seems for that matter) have the same adulation for Rafa as themselves.

It shouldn't affect how you feel about him, why get so upset if others (who knew him in a professional capacity unlike any fan could possibly hope to) don't feel the same way.

I would love to see Gerrard back at the club in some capacity, he's the best player I've seen in 50 years of following the team. He's a proper local legend who has never forgotten his roots. It actually amazes me some people want to see the back of such a person.

As you say it's opinions but in the nearly 60 years i have supported the club, The best is the King or Crazy Horse followed by Digger then Stevie,

But its all opinions as you say maybe just be thankful we have seen them all.

As for Rafa you are talking about his  man- management skills which are actually not unlike Shanks who didn't care to speak to injured players who were no use to him or the team or the ruthless at times Uncle Bob.
Managers have different ways of motivating and achieving success its as simple as that.
However anyone who doesn't understand the admiration and loyalty still for Rafa either wasn't around, didn't care or conveniently forgotten his loyalty to the fans with the fight to rid us of a couple of people who almost destroyed this club.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #144 on: January 2, 2016, 01:26:06 pm »
If I had to name my 3 fave players based on everything (not just skill alone) then Gerrard would actually be my 3rd choice behind Emlyn and Kenny.

'Crazy Horse' was the complete footballer I reckon, with a boyish dedication that he never grew out off. Remember the cracker he scored at Portman Road and he ran off screaming madly 'fuckin hell' captured perfectly by the TVs camera's!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)