Author Topic: Lucas Leiva - A Man for All Seasons  (Read 48506 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Lucas Leiva - A Man for All Seasons
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2015, 08:43:56 pm »
Yet I had to argue his qualities many times with reds before we won the champions league. Then of course they all changed their tune. Some people have a match of the day level of understanding. If its not goals, dribbles and goal line clearances, they don't get it.  It's the reason many people saw the likes of Stephen Ireland as a top player when he had his goal scoring spell. His game had fuck all else though. Lucas will never make the highlights reel but he'll be first name on Klopps list. Hope someone else steps up this weekend in his absence.....

When i used to play, I played as a shit version of Charlie Adam, all long distance Hollywood balls and stuff. I got goals and assists (not that the latter were called such at the time), but I was a far worse player than the guy who played behind me and covered my arse because I was a defensive non entity. I bloody appreciated that type of player though, who made it possible for my team to tolerate a tactical lackwit like myself.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2015, 08:44:00 pm »
Seriously? You don't think Lucas is better defensively than Alonso?
Not particularly. I think Lucas is doing a great job for us right now and have no problems with him starting, but just think RAWK overdoes it in their assessment of him at times. If he was the best DM in the league teams better than Beşiktaş would be trying to sign him.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2015, 08:46:26 pm »
When i used to play, I played as a shit version of Charlie Adam, all long distance Hollywood balls and stuff. I got goals and assists (not that the latter were called such at the time), but I was a far worse player than the guy who played behind me and covered my arse because I was a defensive non entity. I bloody appreciated that type of player though, who made it possible for my team to tolerate a tactical lackwit like myself.
Charlie Adam is a shit version of Charlie Adam  ;)

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2015, 08:46:33 pm »
Not particularly. I think Lucas is doing a great job for us right now and have no problems with him starting, but just think RAWK overdoes it in their assessment of him at times. If he was the best DM in the league teams better than Beşiktaş would be trying to sign him.

Didn't Bayern Munich want him when Dalglish was manager?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2015, 08:50:24 pm »

I think i'll just leave , no point in a debate here. You think Xabi Alonso is defensively sound as Lucas.

:wave

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2015, 08:51:11 pm »
Charlie Adam is a shit version of Charlie Adam  ;)

Charlie Adam may have been shite by LFC standards, but he is still a professional footballer. I modelled myself on what I thought were the significant qualities of Molby. I only understood, much later, that a diet of glazed cherries is nauseating if you don't have the cake to go with it. When Molby did that interview with Alonso where they talked about how English fans only appreciated the 40 yard pass but not the 5-10 yard pass to keep things ticking that was the bread and butter of their game, I recognised said English fan immediately.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2015, 09:38:49 pm »
In my view, the big problem with Lucas is that people look at what he can't do or who he is not. If you take that approach, we should probably replace our whole squad with better players, because Benteke is no Suarez, Sturridge is no Torres (and I'm talking about the Torres-under-Rafa Torres) and Lovren is no Carragher. So, Lucas being compared to other players' strengths will always be bad for him. Yes, he is no Alonso, yes, he is no Mascherano. However, he does have a certain way of playing and if used in the right way he can play an equally important role in a team (even though it's a different one). Give us some stability in defence, but at the same time be an outlet when we go forward. Not in terms of getting 20 assists every season, but in terms of keeping the ball, finding guys in red shirts in good positions or simply moving the ball forward. I'm glad Klopp seems to value his contribution, because I think he is very good at what he does. There are certainly better players out there than him, but there always are for (almost) every player. So, why criticise him for not being Alonso instead of Mascherano? I'd rather people start appreciating him for being Lucas Leiva, because that lad is quite a fine footballer and one of the few consistant ones in our current squad...

Offline Klopp-A-Delphia

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Numquam Solum Ambulabis
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2015, 09:53:48 pm »
Klopp believes in Lucas-I believe in Klopp-I believe in Lucas

I'd be the first to admit I never rated Lucas and he's always frustrated me. He's allergic to the goal, losses the ball far too often, and makes far too many rash challenges. But he keeps the game moving and is great at breaking up play. He's like a lesser version of Mascherano, but that's like being a lesser version of Messi in that "holding midfielder" position.

Yet in the past 3 or 4 seasons, Lucas has grown on me in leaps and bounds, especially in the way he showed such tremendous character to come back from two seemingly career destroying injuries. What Lucas has is "intangibles." He's a natural leader and a committed professional who inspires everyone around him, and he adores this club and most of us adore him in return. He has incredibly high game intelligence and this makes up for what he lacks in talent. Being only 28 and playing a position like DM, similar to great center backs, holding midfielders can get better and better with more experience. With Klopp, I think the sky is the limit for Lucas.
Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/connorpatrick   or @ConnorPatrick

The magic is in the melody.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2015, 09:58:08 pm »
I'm glad he's back healthy and is a consistent and important player in our starting lineup. I've always liked his effort, mentality, and especially the way he seems to really have embraced being part of the club and the city. Was sad to see him slowly become an under utilised player in our squad over the latter few seasons, and I was a little worried that he might have left us in either one of the past two summer windows.

Glad to see he's back, playing a big role, and it certainly seems like he's probably in Klopp's plans for the future. Having said all the above, I think we would benefit with some competition in his position, especially because I'm not so convinced he can handle two matches a week (especially in consecutive weeks) due to his health history, and we don't seem to have anyone on the roster that plays his position at anywhere close to his level. I still feel Rossiter is a season or two away from providing competition for Lucas.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2015, 10:30:13 pm »

I'd be the first to admit I never rated Lucas and he's always frustrated me. He's allergic to the goal, losses the ball far too often, and makes far too many rash challenges. But he keeps the game moving and is great at breaking up play. He's like a lesser version of Mascherano, but that's like being a lesser version of Messi in that "holding midfielder" position.

Yet in the past 3 or 4 seasons, Lucas has grown on me in leaps and bounds, especially in the way he showed such tremendous character to come back from two seemingly career destroying injuries. What Lucas has is "intangibles." He's a natural leader and a committed professional who inspires everyone around him, and he adores this club and most of us adore him in return. He has incredibly high game intelligence and this makes up for what he lacks in talent. Being only 28 and playing a position like DM, similar to great center backs, holding midfielders can get better and better with more experience. With Klopp, I think the sky is the limit for Lucas.

I appreciate your sentiment is good there mate but a lot of what you say there is complete shite.

Lucas certainly doesn't lack talent nor does he constantly give the ball away.

Do you actually watch him or just go with the common narrative in the media, that is now starting to turn in his favour simply because Klopp is picking him?

The guy is simply one of the most intelligent players we have, and one of the best at retaining the ball.

He has an excellent pass on him and is a lot more than just a tackler.  There's certainly no lack of talent and its just a shame our own fans can't see what he's been doing season on season for a long time now.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2015, 11:20:29 pm »

I never got the frustration people had with Lucas from his very early days here, and the criticism regarding his goal record. Yes, it's nice for a DM to pitch in with a few goals, but it's not a prerequisite. This is akin to accusing the spring of a clock that keeps it ticking for not ringing the bell at 12 o'clock. I'm quite excited to see Lucas' development under Klopp, because he is doing exactly what he is best suited to do. And I have the feeling that this may be his best scoring season (or at least equal). ;)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2015, 11:51:02 pm »
Lucas' criticism has always been based on his perceived lack of contribution. He seemed to be the player that kept things ticking but never really did anything to help out. Broke up play as well as any other DM in the league I suppose, but also gave away a lot of fouls, the odd turnover of possession. Offered nothing going forward, mainly sideways passes into feet, not particularly athletic in any regard, prone to injury, nothing really to write home about. 8mill to Beşiktaş seemed about right.

What did see a lot however is the odd game where he would absolutely enrage the oppositions attacking quartet, while simultaneously dominating his midfield counterpart. In all the matches where he's put in MOM performances, any of the opposition attackers were never able to get their head up while on the ball, any run forward is thwarted by him being in the right place at the right time. Additionally the likes of Yaya Toure are losing ariel challenges to him, and have no opportunity to play the ball into the feet of their forwards due to how fast he closes them down.

Klopp has turned that 'odd game' into a consistent Lucas game. Lucas was already starting to do this when Brendan let him get into a run of games, but he is now doing this regularly, week in week out, and in Europe. His tackle rate is the highest in the league despite having played 200 less minutes than the next two players in line. He's 2nd in the European leagues for that. Tackle success rate is 2nd best in the league. He wins over 60% of his ariel duels, which is in the same range as Skrtel and Benteke. If you remember he's only 1.79m tall, that is fucking jawdropping.

"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900

Offline Klopp-A-Delphia

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Numquam Solum Ambulabis
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2015, 11:56:02 pm »
I never got the frustration people had with Lucas from his very early days here, and the criticism regarding his goal record. Yes, it's nice for a DM to pitch in with a few goals, but it's not a prerequisite. This is akin to accusing the spring of a clock that keeps it ticking for not ringing the bell at 12 o'clock. I'm quite excited to see Lucas' development under Klopp, because he is doing exactly what he is best suited to do. And I have the feeling that this may be his best scoring season (or at least equal). ;)

Well it happens often enough that he has a lot of space on the edge of the box because he isn't a goal threat. I hate that he's never able to punish the opposition for that.
Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/connorpatrick   or @ConnorPatrick

The magic is in the melody.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2015, 12:14:57 am »
Lucas' criticism has always been based on his perceived lack of contribution. He seemed to be the player that kept things ticking but never really did anything to help out. Broke up play as well as any other DM in the league I suppose, but also gave away a lot of fouls, the odd turnover of possession. Offered nothing going forward, mainly sideways passes into feet, not particularly athletic in any regard, prone to injury, nothing really to write home about. 8mill to Beşiktaş seemed about right.

What did see a lot however is the odd game where he would absolutely enrage the oppositions attacking quartet, while simultaneously dominating his midfield counterpart. In all the matches where he's put in MOM performances, any of the opposition attackers were never able to get their head up while on the ball, any run forward is thwarted by him being in the right place at the right time. Additionally the likes of Yaya Toure are losing ariel challenges to him, and have no opportunity to play the ball into the feet of their forwards due to how fast he closes them down.

Klopp has turned that 'odd game' into a consistent Lucas game. Lucas was already starting to do this when Brendan let him get into a run of games, but he is now doing this regularly, week in week out, and in Europe. His tackle rate is the highest in the league despite having played 200 less minutes than the next two players in line. He's 2nd in the European leagues for that. Tackle success rate is 2nd best in the league. He wins over 60% of his ariel duels, which is in the same range as Skrtel and Benteke. If you remember he's only 1.79m tall, that is fucking jawdropping.

One particular tackle during that famed Man City game sticks in the memory. Silva wanders into space as he customarily does, offering himself to the man on the ball (Barry). Before Barry himself even sees the pass, Lucas is already on the move, and when Silva receives the ball, he doesn't even have time to control properly before Lucas gets the ball away, hitting him painfully in the process. Silva spends the next 30 seconds on the floor, complaining about the injustice of a world where the ball is no sooner in front of him than it's gone. Man City won the league that year, with Silva their main creator, and Gary Neville rated Lucas as the best at handling him that season.

In another game from that season, there were worries about how our CBs would handle Kevin Davies, he of the flying elbows. As it happened, they handled him quite easily, courtesy of Lucas cutting out the long ball before it even got to the striker/defender challenge zone. Davies was substituted midway through the second half as it was clear the ball wasn't getting anywhere near him.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2015, 12:15:20 am »
I think there could be more to come from him.

He's brilliant at what he's doing now, but I'd love to see him score ... honestly, all he needs is a goal  8)

A fucking belter of a goal.

Watch him blossom, watch him really believe in himself, watch him become the player we've got now and the player we thought we were getting 8 years ago  :lickin

It's coming .... boy is that gonna be a belter of a celebration. If there is any justice in the football world it'll come.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2015, 12:36:52 am »
Klopp has turned that 'odd game' into a consistent Lucas game. Lucas was already starting to do this when Brendan let him get into a run of games, but he is now doing this regularly, week in week out, and in Europe.

Except that it has nothing to do with Klopp. Lucas was pretty consistent under Rodgers except that Rodgers didn't really want to play Lucas (or a player like him for that matter). Whenever Lucas got on the pitch, he did what he's doing now. Same goes for Kenny, where people basically wrote off our season after Lucas went off injured against Chelsea, because he was playing that well and we didn't have a like-for-like replacement. I'm sorry, but Lucas has not somehow turned from some complete fuckwit into a very good player. He has been that player for a couple of years now, the only problems were two unfortunate injuries and a manager who didn't want to play him...

And I am sick of reading about his fouling. He has NEVER given away significantly more fouls than other players in the same or a similar position (and no, he also didn't give away more fouls in dangerous positions than others). Could we please fucking stop peddling that fucking myth? One thing I will concede is that in his early years he was punished for stuff he gets away with now, either because he was clumsier or refs simply found it easier to blow the whistle against some kid from Brazil no one had ever heard of...

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2015, 01:20:37 am »
I think i'll just leave , no point in a debate here. You think Xabi Alonso is defensively sound as Lucas.

Best off. beggars belief, it really does.  :lmao

Offline U13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2015, 01:39:13 am »
My favourite person at the club by a distance.

Besides the fact he's a quality player on the pitch, I think he's a huge asset to the squad as a personality.

Got booed as a young player, turned it around and established himself as a key player.
Got a serious injury, came back from it.
Got frozen out by the manager multiple times, didn't kick up a fuss and proved his worth when called upon.

He's a model professional who I imagine all of our young players can use as a reference point in pretty much any difficult situation.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2015, 02:03:01 am »
Now that we've established Lucas's importance to the team, we need to think about getting in someone to challenge him or back him up. We all remember the effect of his injury during Kenny's last season on that campaign.

That, or Rossiter needs to be given a lot more game time to get him as ready as possible for the eventuality where Lucas faces an extended spell out.

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2015, 02:21:50 am »

Well I know which I'd rather in my team, put it that way.

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2015, 02:56:21 am »
Give up already. Two different players - I really hope you understand that.  ::)

Offline Fluke

• aka the recently dismissed General Consensus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop.
« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2015, 03:13:09 am »

Have to say, I disagree with almost everything you've written there.

He's never given away a lot of fouls (as someone else mentioned) and he's always been one of our best at recycling possession.  Before he did his ACL, he had Suarez levels of invincibility. He's as fit as anyone  (if anything, it was a worry if he would regain his endurance levels after his injury, which he thankfully has).  Also, as others have said, he isn't becoming a good player now. He has always been quite consistently good, shutting down the whole chelsea team the day he did his knee. The only time he wasn't is when he came back from that injury.
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave.
Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2015, 03:13:46 am »

I'd rather have both. At the same time.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2015, 03:14:30 am »
i get the impression he's klopp's general on the pitch, especially with the foreign players.  there was an interview with moreno where he named lucas as his go-between with klopp.  you can't put a price or a stat on influence like that.

Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2015, 03:14:56 am »
Now that we've established Lucas's importance to the team, we need to think about getting in someone to challenge him or back him up. We all remember the effect of his injury during Kenny's last season on that campaign.

That, or Rossiter needs to be given a lot more game time to get him as ready as possible for the eventuality where Lucas faces an extended spell out.

I think we may all be surprised by the amount of game time Rossiter gets when comes back. Just some of the things Klopp has said in press conferences makes me think he could well get a lot of game time in cups and Europe with maybe the odd League appearance with our busy schedule.

Offline Dizzyfinn

• Main Stander
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2015, 05:08:20 am »
I bet Lucas gets 3 goals between now and the end of the season.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2015, 06:26:28 am »

He's brilliant at what he's doing now, but I'd love to see him score ... honestly, all he needs is a goal  8)

Watch him blossom, watch him really believe in himself, watch him become the player we've got now and the player we thought we were getting 8 years ago  :lickin

He should have had an important early goal in his first derby except for Neville's hand getting in the way. How that would have changed people's early impressions of him...

http://youtu.be/lAuIeioKtHk
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2015, 07:28:50 am »
Can we all agree Roy Keane is a c*nt, an should've gone to prison for what he did to Haaland.

Winners are more often than not c*nts.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2015, 12:08:11 pm »
Good player and his loyalty is admirable, but ultimately if we want to win the league we need better in his position playing week in week out.

I am at that point now where I think people who perceive Lucas as a problem in our side just fundamentally don´t understand his role, that position and the qualities they bring. You don´t so much need to show them why Lucas is good but actually educate them on the role of a holding midfielder.

"He wasn't a header of the ball and he rarely passed the ball more than three metres. Younger players will arrive who will cause Makelele to be forgotten."
 - Florentino Perez demonstrating zero knowledge of the importance of Claude Makélélé or what skillset and experience his role requires.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2015, 12:23:07 pm »

He´ll score for us this season, a vital goal too. I´ll be in floods of tears like a fucking soft twat!

Offline beardsleyismessimk1

• Owner Of A Messy Room!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is for living, so live it
« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2015, 12:24:11 pm »
So many back handed, through gritted teeth , dont really know why i am saying it but ill go along with it for now, as it seems to be flavour of the month, and klopp is playing him, so there must be something in it compliments from the most educated football supporters in the land.

Really should be the captain, but maybe it is better for him that he isnt.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2015, 12:28:57 pm »
Gerrard put it best in his new book - love him to bits. A proper footballer, leader, and man. Love him to bits.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2015, 01:00:23 pm »
Absolutely one of my favourite players to watch. Criminally underrated.

Plays the game with his head.

So many back handed, through gritted teeth , dont really know why i am saying it but ill go along with it for now, as it seems to be flavour of the month, and klopp is playing him, so there must be something in it compliments from the most educated football supporters in the land.

Really should be the captain, but maybe it is better for him that he isnt.

I sense some sarcasm. He is the type of player that doesn't really grab the headlines but you will only notice when he is not there is the biggest compliment that I could give.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2015, 01:03:48 pm »
Gerrard put it best in his new book - love him to bits. A proper footballer, leader, and man. Love him to bits.

What did he say?
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2015, 01:14:36 pm »
What did he say?
From memory, his exact words are that he loves Lucas Leiva to bits.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2015, 01:25:23 pm »
Better playmaker? Has Lucas registered an assist in the last two seasons? :-X Also not sure he's better than Alonso defensively haha.

You do realise that being a deep lying playmaker isn´t measured by assists? The exact same shit was actually used to beat Xabi Alonso with when he was here. "How can he be a playmaker with only 3 assists this season?"

As for the second part of your sentence, I think I have answered my own question. You don´t get it.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2015, 01:29:59 pm »
He´ll score for us this season, a vital goal too. I´ll be in floods of tears like a fucking soft twat!

It's going to happen. Be like when Rafa signed God back or Ged came back from his illness - it's going to be emotional  ;D

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2015, 01:41:26 pm »
In my view, the big problem with Lucas is that people look at what he can't do or who he is not. If you take that approach, we should probably replace our whole squad with better players, because Benteke is no Suarez, Sturridge is no Torres (and I'm talking about the Torres-under-Rafa Torres) and Lovren is no Carragher. So, Lucas being compared to other players' strengths will always be bad for him. Yes, he is no Alonso, yes, he is no Mascherano. However, he does have a certain way of playing and if used in the right way he can play an equally important role in a team (even though it's a different one). Give us some stability in defence, but at the same time be an outlet when we go forward. Not in terms of getting 20 assists every season, but in terms of keeping the ball, finding guys in red shirts in good positions or simply moving the ball forward. I'm glad Klopp seems to value his contribution, because I think he is very good at what he does. There are certainly better players out there than him, but there always are for (almost) every player. So, why criticise him for not being Alonso instead of Mascherano? I'd rather people start appreciating him for being Lucas Leiva, because that lad is quite a fine footballer and one of the few consistant ones in our current squad...

Love this post mate thanks.

In reply to your other point about his fouling, I disagree. I love him BECAUSE he fouls a lot. His tactical fouls are beautiful to watch. I love that moment in every game where you see a team breaking and Can is ahead of play, Lucas comes out of nowhere and makes a foul look as clumsy as possible. Almost like it´s the fault of the opposition player for just intentionally running into him. Refs buy it more often than not. The best was Ramires this season though. How he escaped without a yellow there will always be one of the best cons you will ever see.

The best holding midfielders are the ones than can immediately assess their team and how vulnerable they are in a situation and decide whether to try and win the ball or just make sure the attacks ends by whatever means possible. Lucas is one of the best I have ever seen at this.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2015, 02:05:46 pm »
I bet Lucas gets 3 goals between now and the end of the season.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2015, 03:22:48 pm »
Lucas is boss!