Author Topic: TV Licence Fee  (Read 23989 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: BBC License Fee
« Reply #200 on: April 18, 2017, 09:37:41 am »
The thick of it, Alan Partridge, The Office, Victoria Wood...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: April 18, 2017, 09:39:56 am »
Poldark, Line of Duty, The Missing, Taboo, all quality TV on the BBC.

Its brilliant for kids too, the stuff on CBeebies is very good quality and very educational but things the kids like to watch. My two learnt so much from watching, I was gobsmacked when my eldest was 3 and he started doing some signing he'd learnt from Mr Tumble.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #202 on: April 18, 2017, 09:41:44 am »
No problem paying the fee, the amount of quality content on BBC makes it more than worth it.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: April 18, 2017, 10:04:59 am »
I have issues with their news coverage (not going into that on here - it's been debated elsewhere on RAWK plenty of times and never ends well) but given all the content listed above and more, it is easily worth the license fee.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: April 18, 2017, 10:10:55 am »
I'd pay for it just for 6 music to be honest

I'd pay the £12 a month licence fee just for BBC4 on a Friday night.

That's £3 a week to watch 2 or 3 ace music documentary's on a Friday night. Yes please

Then there's all those shows Alan_X mentions above.  He didn't actually mention 'Inside No 9' and I'll throw in 'Last Kingdom' :)

Totally worth it IMO.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
Re: TV Licence Fee
« Reply #206 on: April 18, 2017, 10:28:54 am »
Also all the foreign language dramas they show on BBC4 on a Saturday night
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #207 on: April 18, 2017, 10:30:57 am »
But apart from all of that, what have the BBC ever done for me?

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: April 18, 2017, 10:42:31 am »
The fee is worth is for their wild life documentaries alone.

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #209 on: April 18, 2017, 10:43:14 am »
Two points in support

(heard on the news not fact checked) - Most of the staff on UK produced shows on all channels got their training / start at the BBC, remove the BBC remove the supply of quality staff that would stop other UK channels making decent TV.

The BBC acts as a floor - it keeps all the other channels honest, without the BBC the likes of Sky could get away without putting in any investment /effort.  If there isn't the "free / ad free" alternative whats to stop the other channels putting on Ads on every few minutes ala the states.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2017, 10:55:30 am »
I've downloaded and watched just about all the Storyville docs which have been superb.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2017, 11:01:39 am »
But apart from all of that, what have the BBC ever done for me?

Monty Python, Absolutely Fabulous...

And of course there's BBC Films who are committed to making films that the big studios probably wouldn't bother with because they don't have loads bangy-crashy CGI effects. A few:

The Lady in the Van, London Road, A Cock & Bull Story, A Room for Romeo Brass, A United Kingdom, Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa, An Education, Anita & Me, Billy Elliot, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, Brideshead Revisited, Brooklyn, City of Tiny Lights, Coriolanus, Creation, The Damned United, David Brent: Life on the Road, Dirty Pretty Things, The Duchess, The Falling, Far from the Madding Crowd, Fish Tank, FLorence Foster Jenkins, Glastonbury, Good Vibrations, Great Expectations, Hideous Kinky, The History Boys, I Daniel Blake, In Our Name, In the Loop, Iris, iLL Manors, Jane Eyre, Jawbone...  I'll pass over a few letters ...The Men Who Stare at Goats, The Meerkats, The Other Boleyn Girl, The Sense of an Ending, Truly Madly Deeply, The Van...

And so on...

The BBC Academy runs skills development and training courses for a huge range of media careers: http://www.bbc.co.uk/academy

Also: People Just Do Nothing is brilliant if you've never seen it. An interview with the writer on BBC Writer's Room, which supports writers at all stages of their career.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/

There's also an interview with the lead writer of 'five by five' which was a series of shorts made under #TheIdrisTakeover

All of this would disappear without the licence fee.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 11:07:36 am by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2017, 11:03:03 am »
I have issues with their news coverage (not going into that on here - it's been debated elsewhere on RAWK plenty of times and never ends well) but given all the content listed above and more, it is easily worth the license fee.

You know that BBC Films made I, Daniel Blake? The fact that both the left and right are always slagging off the BBC suggests they might actually be getting it about right.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2017, 11:09:22 am »
You know that BBC Films made I, Daniel Blake? The fact that both the left and right are always slagging off the BBC suggests they might actually be getting it about right.
My issue with it is not to do with left / right but as i said, not really wanting to get in an argument on it here.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2017, 02:31:39 pm »
Bake Off, Strictly and Planet Earth were the three most watched shows on UK TV last year, all from the BBC. Sherlock, Call the Midwife and Top Gear were also in the top 10. This includes the likes of GoT and Walking Dead.

So whilst you may think MOTD is the only thing worth watching for you, they are clearly making shows a good chunk of the fee payers want to see. This is before you count the various news channels and radio shows.

I'm not so sure that the first two you mentioned there are supporting your argument mate.  :)

Mind you it says a lot about the great British public if shite like that are in the top three. 
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2017, 02:34:59 pm »
I'm not so sure that the first two you mentioned there are supporting your argument mate.  :)

Mind you it says a lot about the great British public if shite like that are in the top three. 

The BBC has always provided family entertainment. Neither of those two are 'shite' - they both show how family entertainment can be good quality as well as popular.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2017, 03:09:54 pm »
I don't watch tv but I have no qualms about the licence fee....the BBC have made some of the best tv that's been made in any country. I re-watched Tinker, Tailor a bit back...probably the best adaptation of a novel, be it tv or film...perfect tv.

And if Murdoch is against the fee....it must be a good thing.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2017, 09:24:13 pm »
The BBC has always provided family entertainment. Neither of those two are 'shite' - they both show how family entertainment can be good quality as well as popular.
It was meant as a bit of a jokey post hence the smiley face.
There have been some good shouts for programs on here and when I lived in the UK I didn't have a problem with paying every year for the BBC as they had some good stuff on.

But the two reality TV shows mentioned, one's a dancing show for C listed celebs trying hard to get back in the limelight and one's a baking show for people trying hard to become C listed celebs. Hardly ground breaking stuff and I'll stick to my guns and call them shite.  :)

At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2017, 09:38:46 pm »
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #219 on: April 18, 2017, 10:40:06 pm »
Paying for mind control

:lmao

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: April 19, 2017, 07:34:51 am »
Paying for mind control

:lmao

Watching TV isn't having your mind controlled. Unless you're very impressionable.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: April 19, 2017, 07:40:18 am »
Watching TV isn't having your mind controlled. Unless you're very impressionable.
Dunno mate, I was sat in front of Plane Earth II and I could feel new things being pushed into my brain through my eyeballs and ears! Scary stuff.

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
« Reply #222 on: April 19, 2017, 09:06:30 am »
I don't watch a lot of TV but for 12 quid a month you do get very good programs to watch and to listen to on the radio.
Good value imo.
who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #223 on: April 19, 2017, 12:54:45 pm »
There is no doubt it's value for money and I'm happy to pay the license fee. They produce and air some of the best TV the world has to offer, give opportunities to people and performers other commercially funded stations wouldn't, have a fantastic online presence and knock out a half decent radio station or two an all. Not fucking bad for £12 a month.

The one issue I have with the Beeb is the impartially aspect. They're supposed to be unbiased, it's the part of their remit they rarely seem to get it right but how can they ever truly be impartial when whoever's in government is hanging the sword of Damocles over them. Not sure what the answer to that riddle is mind!

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: April 19, 2017, 01:00:25 pm »
There is no doubt it's value for money and I'm happy to pay the license fee. They produce and air some of the best TV the world has to offer, give opportunities to people and performers other commercially funded stations wouldn't, have a fantastic online presence and knock out a half decent radio station or two an all. Not fucking bad for £12 a month.

The one issue I have with the Beeb is the impartially aspect. They're supposed to be unbiased, it's the part of their remit they rarely seem to get it right but how can they ever truly be impartial when whoever's in government is hanging the sword of Damocles over them. Not sure what the answer to that riddle is mind!

For a start they should make a better job of explaining that impartial is not the same as only broadcasting things that you agree with. To truly fulfil their remit, they should broadcast an awful lot that you don't agree with, and should robustly challenge the things that you do believe.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #225 on: April 19, 2017, 01:02:07 pm »

I thought that was taken as a given, John.  ;D

My main tv isn't hooked up to an aerial or box..just rather large hard drives and a Blu-ray player.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #226 on: April 19, 2017, 01:03:55 pm »

As is always pointed out, both the left and right complain that the BBC shows bias to their opponents...they're doing something right if that's the norm.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #227 on: April 19, 2017, 01:18:24 pm »
As is always pointed out, both the left and right complain that the BBC shows bias to their opponents...they're doing something right if that's the norm.
Ha ha that's nonsense buddy, they all complain about fucking everything! ;D ;D ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #228 on: April 19, 2017, 01:23:43 pm »
Ha ha that's nonsense buddy, they all complain about fucking everything! ;D ;D ;D
;D

I'd tell you fuck off, but some daft twat gave them modly powers...FFS!!!  ;D ;D :P

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: April 19, 2017, 04:46:19 pm »

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #230 on: April 19, 2017, 07:25:33 pm »
I envy the British people their television. So many good shows and programmes. For me, Swedish public service tv has gone down the drain in recent years and I hardly ever watch it anymore. The children's channel is what is on most in our house of the SVT channels.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #231 on: April 19, 2017, 07:29:38 pm »
Old school.
;D

My eldest has still got a VHS for her collection of horror films...I watched the Bigas Luna film Anguish on it a few back. ;D

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #232 on: April 19, 2017, 08:20:04 pm »
If i could choose not to pay it i wouldn't. Can't afford it. No way it should be that high.

I'd go licence free right now but our beloved LFC means i have to have a licence to watch live TV.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: April 19, 2017, 08:22:05 pm »
;D

My eldest has still got a VHS for her collection of horror films...I watched the Bigas Luna film Anguish on it a few back. ;D

Wow.

I gave my blu ray  to my old dear. Retired my CD player to the shed a while back and came across a Sega mega drive.

While you're here, do you have an invite for a site called cinemageddon?

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #234 on: April 19, 2017, 08:39:02 pm »
Wow.

I gave my blu ray  to my old dear. Retired my CD player to the shed a while back and came across a Sega mega drive.

While you're here, do you have an invite for a site called cinemageddon?
My youngest loved Sonic..that and her horse.

Nuts, innit. I found a SNES with loads of games...there was murder between my daughters as to which one got it.

I've not mate. Try reddit, I know the admins post on there.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: April 20, 2017, 06:47:54 am »
If i could choose not to pay it i wouldn't. Can't afford it. No way it should be that high.

I'd go licence free right now but our beloved LFC means i have to have a licence to watch live TV.

LIverpool aren't live on the BBC
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: April 20, 2017, 08:07:37 am »
LIverpool aren't live on the BBC
You need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

- watch or record live TV programmes on any channel
- download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand

This applies to any provider you use and any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one?&WT.mc_id=mec_Search_Brand

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: April 20, 2017, 08:21:55 am »
You need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

- watch or record live TV programmes on any channel
- download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand

This applies to any provider you use and any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one?&WT.mc_id=mec_Search_Brand

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence

Some of the details on the official site are spun a bit.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #238 on: April 20, 2017, 06:46:08 pm »
Agree with a lot of the shouts that have referred to specific programmes available though the BBC (and indeed entire broadcast channels in the case of 6Music).

I think the 'Child of Out Time' project, which was visited again earlier this month (as the children turn 16) also deserves a mentioned - I've thoroughly enjoyed 'dropping in' to this over the years and am sure that many will have found it's insights very useful.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: April 20, 2017, 06:55:36 pm »

What live TV are you watching that features LFC?