Author Topic: TV Licence Fee  (Read 23916 times)

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
Re: TV Licence Fee
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2015, 11:03:40 am »
Why should I pay a TV license when I don't watch any BBC channels or listen to the radio stations? I'm basically paying for everyone else to watch and listen to the shite they produce, it's sound though, all about paying as a community, right?
If you never watch BBC Four's fantastic output or listen to class radio stations like 6 Music, you should have to pay a tax anyway, for being a cunt.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2015, 11:07:17 am »
Why would anyone want to do anything as a community? There's no such thing as society, eh Thatcher?

I see it more as a punishment than something that's good for the community, it's scandalous that they even charge you for it actually, you do know people on benefits still have to pay for it? That money would be better spent on putting food on the table than BBC for god sake.

Aslong as you can listen to BBC Radio 5 or whatever it is then all is good I suppose.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2015, 11:09:25 am »
If you never watch BBC Four's fantastic output or listen to class radio stations like 6 Music, you should have to pay a tax anyway, for being a cunt.

Behave mate I'm 25 and I don't have time to sit in my rocking chair listening to some fella spouting shite through a radio station.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2015, 11:10:51 am »
Yeah, too cool for school you  ;D

Offline muyuu

• Google Groomer. reddit remain campaigner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2015, 11:15:27 am »
The issue with the licence fee isn't anything to do with value for money - which is a subjective term anyway - but the fact that it is a compulsory tax.

It's an anachronism that should be done away with. If its programming is attractive to its potential audience then surely people will be falling all over themselves to subscribe if it went that way? By the same token those who didn't want to watch BBC television or listen to its radio channels could save a few quid by not subscribing.

It's more of a compulsory tax in other places where public TV is funded through the general budget, and then you have them depend directly from the administration.

I see it more as a punishment than something that's good for the community, it's scandalous that they even charge you for it actually, you do know people on benefits still have to pay for it? That money would be better spent on putting food on the table than BBC for god sake.

Aslong as you can listen to BBC Radio 5 or whatever it is then all is good I suppose.

If you cannot afford food, the telly is the last of your priorities. Don't have one and don't pay TV licence. Simples.

I assume you weren't having a giggle about not paying council tax, not needing police or firemen, etc.
"Chelsea have confirmed that their interim fans will leave the club when Roman Abramovich does"
-sinnermichael

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=303961.msg11432382#msg11432382

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2015, 11:15:48 am »
Yeah, too cool for school you  ;D

Evidently :P
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2015, 11:26:43 am »
I still stand by my view that the TV licence should at most be an optional payment.

Those that want to pay it can, those that don't, don't. Everyone's happy!

The Beeb then either cuts it's cloth accordingly, with regards to it's output, or it maintains it's output via low level advertising.

I find it all a bit communist being forced to pay.

Offline muyuu

• Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2015, 11:37:11 am »
I still stand by my view that the TV licence should at most be an optional payment.

Those that want to pay it can, those that don't, don't. Everyone's happy!

The Beeb then either cuts it's cloth accordingly, with regards to it's output, or it maintains it's output via low level advertising.

I find it all a bit communist being forced to pay.

Huh? that's the situation, if you don't want it you don't pay for it. Except you expect to use the service for free anyway? LOL
"Chelsea have confirmed that their interim fans will leave the club when Roman Abramovich does"
-sinnermichael

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=303961.msg11432382#msg11432382

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2015, 11:39:22 am »
No advert breaks during programmes and films on the BBC. Ever.

Fuck you sideways if you want that, if you force that.

Yet another thing where you don't know what you've got till it's gone. I fucking hate good flicks and shows and sport and stuff being on ad-happy channels. If it was only between the end of one and the beginning of another, like 10 minutes worth or something, that's cool - then I could happily ignore them all in one block, without it interrupting my enjoyment.

I'm not averse to people who detest paying any licence fee simply having no access to be able to consume anything produced in any way by the BBC without making a direct payment to them. If you're satisfied with just the commercial break channels' stuff, then fine.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2015, 11:46:28 am »
The BBC could easily scramble the channels and send a card to those that pay the licence fee that plugs into the back of your telly or box and gives you access. They do it in Spain with GolTV etc.

It is very harsh on low income families not to be able to have free-to-air channels because of the BBC. Someone suggesting that poor people choose between TV and food because they can't afford the licence fee is poor form as well.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2015, 11:49:47 am »
Huh? that's the situation, if you don't want it you don't pay for it. Except you expect to use the service for free anyway? LOL
Not if you want a TV you don't! I don't expect anything. Personally I watch/listen/view very little content produced by the BBC.

The ideal of the BBC is that they can be impartial but their political coverage, not just of the election, shows they are incapable of of showing a balanced view for fear of saying the wrong thing.

A service that is beholden to/lives in fear of the current political regime is not impartial at all.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2015, 11:52:04 am »
No advert breaks during programmes and films on the BBC. Ever.

Fuck you sideways if you want that, if you force that.
I'm not arguing with the service per say. I just don't feel that it should be compulsory.

If I don't want to watch SLY, then I can choose not to pay and not to watch.

I feel it should be exactly the same with the BBC.
I'm not averse to people who detest paying any licence fee simply having no access to be able to consume anything produced in any way by the BBC without making a direct payment to them. If you're satisfied with just the commercial break channels' stuff, then fine.
It seems we actually agree.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2015, 11:56:18 am »
The charter is up for renewal in 2017 and I do think they should perhaps think of other methods of funding.  Regardless of what method they come up with I'll be paying, I love the BBC, BBC 4 is one of the only terrestrial channels I watch and Radio 6 is worth the £3 a week on it's own in my opinion.

People should have the option of opting out and the scrambling method MOZ mentioned sounds feasible enough. 

Offline muyuu

• Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2015, 11:57:52 am »
Not if you want a TV you don't! I don't expect anything. Personally I watch/listen/view very little content produced by the BBC.

The ideal of the BBC is that they can be impartial but their political coverage, not just of the election, shows they are incapable of of showing a balanced view for fear of saying the wrong thing.

A service that is beholden to/lives in fear of the current political regime is not impartial at all.

As long as you watch the BBC at all then you have no argument. The argument could be made for those wanting a TV with a tuner but not the beeb. Fair enough.

I don't have a TV these days, I have big computer monitors instead (which are a lot like TVs without tuners). No licence there. But since I sometimes watch live BBC news online (seldom) I pay the licence. I know not all channels provide decent signal online, but this is a matter of time now that it gets sorted as broadband improves and becomes the preferred delivery medium.
-sinnermichael

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2015, 12:00:35 pm »
I'm not arguing with the service per say. I just don't feel that it should be compulsory.

If I don't want to watch SLY, then I can choose not to pay and not to watch.

I feel it should be exactly the same with the BBC.It seems we actually agree.

Yeah but when you pay for SLY you are also paying for tons of adverts.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: May 19, 2015, 12:03:12 pm »
As long as you watch the BBC at all then you have no argument. The argument could be made for those wanting a TV with a tuner but not the beeb. Fair enough.

I don't have a TV these days, I have big computer monitors instead (which are a lot like TVs without tuners). No licence there. But since I sometimes watch live BBC news online (seldom) I pay the licence. I know not all channels provide decent signal online, but this is a matter of time now that it gets sorted as broadband improves and becomes the preferred delivery medium.
You fucking quilt, what a load of rubbish! I currently pay for it so if there's something I want to watch on there I will!

What I'm saying is.....It should be optional! In this hypothetical world....

If I don't pay then I get no service, if I do pay then I get the service.

That way there is a choice!

Admittedly, there may be enough people willing to just pay the fee to keep it open to all but again it would be the individual's decision!

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: May 19, 2015, 12:04:28 pm »
Yeah but when you pay for SLY you are also paying for tons of adverts.
Just another reason not to pay for it then :wave

Offline muyuu

• Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #137 on: May 19, 2015, 12:13:48 pm »
You fucking quilt, what a load of rubbish! I currently pay for it so if there's something I want to watch on there I will!

Admittedly, there may be enough people willing to just pay the fee to keep it open to all but again it would be the individual's decision!

I'm all for getting it separated from other TV so hypocritical c*nts who say not to watch any BBC content at all are cut off, then have to come back with their tail between their legs to pay. But then there's piracy, although the tories will probably crack hard on that too...

For some time I didn't pay any licence and didn't watch any BBC, when I came back to the country. Just don't get a TV with a tuner. Sorted.
-sinnermichael

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: May 19, 2015, 12:21:17 pm »
Do you not access any BBC content?

Absolutely 0, I've got Sky, which I chose to have and pay for, I didn't choose to pay for a TV license its forced upon.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: May 19, 2015, 12:24:03 pm »
hypocritical c*nts
Is that directed at me? If so, where is the hypocrisy?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:26:19 pm by Titi Camara »

Offline muyuu

• Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2015, 12:27:31 pm »
Absolutely 0, I've got Sky, which I chose to have and pay for, I didn't choose to pay for a TV license its forced upon.

Sky broadcasts BBC content. I assume it would be possible for them not to.

I'm not sure why isn't it easier to watch just private providers and stay off licence, but this is not something the BBC can enforce, it's the regulator's responsibility.
-sinnermichael

Offline muyuu

• Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2015, 12:28:12 pm »
Is that directed at me? If so, where is the hypocrisy?

No, it's directed to people who say they don't watch BBC content but they do.
-sinnermichael

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2015, 12:39:12 pm »
He's a sky guy. A Murdoch man all the way. Same bank accounts that fund the scum, same right wing worldview, who needs the BBC when you could fund the Australian overlord eh?
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2015, 12:43:18 pm »
Well when it comes to the TV licence it's not about watching BBC content; it's about watching or recording BBC content as it is broadcast.

I don't access any BBC services at all through my laptop.  I don't watch live broadcasts, I don't even use the website or iPlayer.  I have downloaded the odd episode of Doctor Who and I've watched the occasional episode of The Sky At Night on Youtube, but that's about it.

Based on the above criteria I do not need a TVL and I've told them I don't. 
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline muyuu

• Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #144 on: May 19, 2015, 12:54:46 pm »
Well when it comes to the TV licence it's not about watching BBC content; it's about watching or recording BBC content as it is broadcast.

I don't access any BBC services at all through my laptop.  I don't watch live broadcasts, I don't even use the website or iPlayer.  I have downloaded the odd episode of Doctor Who and I've watched the occasional episode of The Sky At Night on Youtube, but that's about it.

Based on the above criteria I do not need a TVL and I've told them I don't. 

That's fine. I was in the same situation for some time, but now I watch BBC news occasionally so I pay the licence.
-sinnermichael

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2015, 12:57:58 pm »

Must have been a pisser watching Jeff Steling et al describe the action from the Wimbledon & Bolton matches, rather than just turn over.

Or miss 50% of the world cup matches last year

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: May 19, 2015, 01:15:29 pm »
The charter is up for renewal in 2017 and I do think they should perhaps think of other methods of funding.  Regardless of what method they come up with I'll be paying, I love the BBC, BBC 4 is one of the only terrestrial channels I watch and Radio 6 is worth the £3 a week on it's own in my opinion.

People should have the option of opting out and the scrambling method MOZ mentioned sounds feasible enough.
Do you think cutting the reigns to legislation and government would actually improve the service? Personally I do.

Obviously they would be answerable to OFCOM (or which ever body it is) but ultimately, if they were more autonomous they'd be able to actually have a view!

Ironically, if they were to become a pay-to-view service, grew a back bone but also choose to show it, I'd probably choose to pay the subscriptions.

I'm a complicated man ::)

Offline muyuu

• Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2015, 01:46:03 pm »
I fully expect the tories to make it easier to go fully private and be able to watch aerial TV without needing to pay the licence, unless you want access to the BBC.

Not necessarily a bad thing, even if the tories do it for the wrong reasons.
-sinnermichael

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2015, 01:48:51 pm »
Must have been a pisser watching Jeff Steling et al describe the action from the Wimbledon & Bolton matches, rather than just turn over.

Or miss 50% of the world cup matches last year

The World Cup was shit and I was out that night of the MK Dons match and on holiday for Bolton so it never bothered me.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: May 19, 2015, 02:10:43 pm »
....and on holiday in Bolton so it never bothered me.
A holiday in Bolton would defo bother me ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: May 19, 2015, 02:16:44 pm »
The World Cup was shit and I was out that night of the MK Dons match and on holiday for Bolton so it never bothered me.
But you watched the world cup on bbc then? Your holiday must have been shite to be posting about the Bolton match shortly before & after.

What about Wimbledon coverage on the bbc? Are you sure you watch zero of it?
Gutted for Fed but happy for Djok too. Great final!

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: May 19, 2015, 02:22:42 pm »

Spot on
choose Life.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: May 19, 2015, 02:48:21 pm »
But you watched the world cup on bbc then? Your holiday must have been shite to be posting about the Bolton match shortly before & after.

What about Wimbledon coverage on the bbc? Are you sure you watch zero of it?

I watched the World Cup final on ITV, Bolton was on in America in the morning and the Wimbledon final was streamed on my computer in work at the time.

Anymore guesses to catch me out Columbo?

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: May 19, 2015, 03:00:42 pm »
I watched the World Cup final on ITV, Bolton was on in America in the morning and the Wimbledon final was streamed on my computer in work at the time.

Anymore guesses to catch me out Columbo?

That's all very convenient and co-incidental isn't it? Holiday in America and you were posting on here? Get a life lad.
No doubt you watched the Spain v Ned match you were commenting on via a stream too, rather than just turn the tv on. The licence fee goes to paying for all these sporting events to be broadcast as well as (unfortunately) Eastenders.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #154 on: May 19, 2015, 03:52:29 pm »

Seriously? That's very harsh.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: May 19, 2015, 04:04:34 pm »
That's all very convenient and co-incidental isn't it? Holiday in America and you were posting on here? Get a life lad.
No doubt you watched the Spain v Ned match you were commenting on via a stream too, rather than just turn the tv on. The licence fee goes to paying for all these sporting events to be broadcast as well as (unfortunately) Eastenders.

Hahahaha tells me to get a life while he's going through my year old posts to catch me out.

Well played lad.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #156 on: May 19, 2015, 04:07:12 pm »
I stopped paying my TV License two months ago.

Got a knock on the door on Sunday from a man who wanted to know why, so I told him - don't watch live BBC tv anymore, use on demand and catch up services and download/stream a lot of what I watch. If that changes, then I'll start paying again and I will. He accepted that and said he would be sure their records were updated.

I'm not paying £12 a month for something I don't use.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 04:12:07 pm by Ciara (with a capital "C") »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #157 on: May 19, 2015, 04:20:45 pm »
I'm just curious, but do people without kids resent their taxes going towards schools? It's never bothered me, but then neither did paying the TV license when I lived in the UK.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: May 19, 2015, 04:26:35 pm »
I'm just curious, but do people without kids resent their taxes going towards schools? It's never bothered me, but then neither did paying the TV license when I lived in the UK.

More people these days seem to think along those lines. A lot of selfishness about today.

From before the election, by Mark Steel: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/general-election-2015-watch-out-a-vote-for-labour-will-bring-the-fires-of-hell-to-britain-10217396.html
In any case, you shouldn’t be expected to pay for people who can’t sort themselves out. So they appeal to the side of someone that says: “Why should I pay for higher education when I don’t go to university? You pay if you want to learn stuff. And why should I pay for the fire brigade, I’m not on fire. And why should I pay for care homes? Pay for them yourself if you want to spend all day dribbling and laying face down in a bowl of cold soup.”

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #159 on: May 19, 2015, 04:33:26 pm »
I've just moved and I've got my TV licence.  I don't mind paying it but presumably (and hypothetically), as I'm paying double for the first 6 months I can stop paying in 6 months time and be in credit for the next 6?  And if not, why not?