Author Topic: Daniel Sturridge  (Read 387912 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Daniel Sturridge in decline: Speed statistics highlight the problem
« Reply #840 on: April 24, 2017, 11:17:49 pm »
Think that's harsh. People (rightly) remember Rob Jones fondly.  A great player for is who eventually was defeated by chronic injuries. Sturridge is in that same category for me.

Its all about context really. If we had been successful and had more options then we would see Sturridge different. A player who could have helped but it wasnt to be but still loved.

The problem was that for years we pinned much of our hope on him. 14/15 was dominated by just the hope of getting him in the field. The club and the manager literally told us fans "look, we will be fine when Sturridge comes back". Thus the spotlight was always on him and because of that everytime he missed games the sympathy turns to frustration and eventually a bit of anger.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:19:26 pm by killer_heels »

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #841 on: April 24, 2017, 11:22:12 pm »
Tired of even thinking about it now. It's so irrelevant but until he's gone from the club you are constantly reminded about it like a re-occurring nightmare. It's no secret that Klopp has had enough too. Said a couple of times in the last few days here, I don't believe we'll see him in a Liverpool shirt again.

He can be somebody else's problem next season.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:27:24 pm by Number 7 »
YWNA

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #842 on: April 24, 2017, 11:22:34 pm »
He's played 22 times this season. I am amazed it is that many to be honest.

Most appearances he has ever made for us in a season is 33!

He is done and has been for a while. Yet another player we should have moved on earlier just like Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Lucas, Enrique, etc etc.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #843 on: April 24, 2017, 11:23:00 pm »
Hopefully, especially as some of the bedwetters would be annoyed if he scored some important goals for us.
:lmao

how have you managed to work that word into that post
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #844 on: April 24, 2017, 11:24:09 pm »
Do Chinese clubs like to take a gamble?

Dan, I know you read this thread, don't be soft and try the PL - move abroad. I've heard the Chinese League isn't as physically demanding, heck you don't even need healthy hips.

It's a real pity your best performances have been on LFC.tv's soft arse quiz videos over the last few seasons.

I'll always love the dance, though. Long after the moans have died down, the wriggly arms will live on.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #845 on: April 24, 2017, 11:37:18 pm »
:lmao

how have you managed to work that word into that post

On purpose! ;D

It's just annoying how some people seem to think that Sturridge isn't as angry at his injury problems as they are, that he's OK about not getting to play for the team.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #846 on: April 24, 2017, 11:40:37 pm »
Hopefully, especially as some of the bedwetters would be annoyed if he scored some important goals for us.

Just don't see who is gonna spend the money to sign him.

He's still got two years left on his deal, think people are jumping the gun slightly thinking he'll be easy to sell or will want to leave.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #847 on: April 24, 2017, 11:49:37 pm »
PSG were interested in January..

Did they buy him? perhaps that is why we haven't seen much of him recently.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #848 on: April 24, 2017, 11:56:51 pm »
Did they buy him? perhaps that is why we haven't seen much of him recently.

If they did, why would he still be here unless we took him back on loan?

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #849 on: April 25, 2017, 12:20:44 am »
Some of the comments in here are incredibly disrespectful. You do know Sturridge doesn't choose to get injured so often?

It would, however, be the right decision if we were to let him go.

He looked good as soon as he arrived. Then he featured as an integral and deadly part of our finest Premier League team to date. Without Suarez we pinned all our hopes on him the season after, but the team never recaptured the magic for the rest of Rodger's stint and the injuries began to stack up. Since Klopp arrived Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana and Mane have shouldered the expectation when it comes to attack, and have done well enough to make me forget about Sturridge for the most part.

Should he leave this summer I imagine relatively little will be made of his departure. It's strange because if only a couple of games had ended differently during his time here, there wouldn't be such a divide in the tone we use to discuss him. He'd have played his part in making history had we won the league in 2014. He'd have won us another major European trophy had the second half gone differently against Sevilla.

I know you can go on forever with the "what if's" in football, but I still think it's sad the way his time here has just petered out.

Offline sonny crockett

• Been highly respecting A@A since 2007, honestly, thinks the world of him!
  • Kopite
« Reply #850 on: April 25, 2017, 01:36:49 am »
He's done.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/24/daniel-sturridge-may-have-played-last-game-for-liverpool-injury

I'll always remember that time he posted a tweet about dressing like the Undertaker.

Good luck to him.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #851 on: April 25, 2017, 03:41:26 am »
I expect we'll either have to negotiate a buyout or go the dreaded loaned-out-while-paying-most-of-his-wages route. Even the latter would be beneficial to us, though, because unfortunately his is a wasted spot on the senior playing list and leaves us desperately short-handed. Having him and Ings as two of our striking options has been disastrous. We'd have been far better off keeping the misfit Benteke around who can stay on the pitch and score goals... but then we wouldn't have won the Net Spend Olympics.

Sorry... just the subject of Daniel Sturridge circa 2014-17 turns me into a whinging mingebag.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #852 on: April 25, 2017, 09:38:47 am »
Look he seems a lovely lad and I feel sorry for him.

However, when it comes down to it I don't care about Sturridge - I care about Liverpool.

As it stands he is a drain on our resources and has been for some time. He contributes (through no fault of his own) next to nothing and costs a fortune in wages and medical costs.

It is time to cut our losses. We all want him to magically stay injury free and find his past form, but those days are gone. If he is here next year he will get injured again and barely play.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline YoungKopite

• Anny Roader
« Reply #853 on: April 25, 2017, 10:05:48 am »
He'll join Crystal Palace in the Summer. And the one game he'll play next season, and score in, will be against us. Can you imagine Benteke, Sakho, Kelly.. and even Moreno (because it's Moreno..) all there doing that dance?

Offline Day1983

• Main Stander
« Reply #854 on: April 25, 2017, 10:26:52 am »
He needs to go he's last now, a waste of wages.

Offline zip

• Legacy Fan
  • That was liquid football!
« Reply #855 on: April 25, 2017, 10:50:45 am »
Who is/was more injury prone, Aurelio or Sturridge?
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #856 on: April 25, 2017, 10:59:21 am »
Who is/was more injury prone, Aurelio or Sturridge?
jaysis

splitting hairs

pair of complete crocks

i seriously dont think aurelio played 3 games in a row for us EVER

if they were fit every week we would have been in business.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #857 on: April 25, 2017, 11:17:17 am »
Slightly off topic but what are the stats with Henderson and injuries?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #858 on: April 25, 2017, 11:20:32 am »
Slightly off topic but what are the stats with Henderson and injuries?

Terrible these last two seasons. He will have clocked just 27 appearances this season.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #859 on: April 25, 2017, 11:47:38 am »
Terrible these last two seasons. He will have clocked just 27 appearances this season.
no luck there

if he is injury prone next season too we might need to look elsewhere

i know thats not going to be a popular opinion but if a player has injury worries and we cant solve them then what else can we do.

we have wasted 3 years trying to get more game time from sturridge and it hasnt worked

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: April 25, 2017, 12:04:50 pm »
Would be shocked if they come back for him. The two places I can imagine is a Spanish/Italian team or a middle of the table PL team who wants to make a splash (see West Ham).  I can see him going to the Galaxy but if he does, it would mean he has also given up on his body.

Only the top Spanish/Italian teams can afford his wages (unless he drops them) and those top teams don't need him.  I can see a mid table PL team go for him or he'll be off to China or the US. 

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #861 on: April 25, 2017, 12:05:57 pm »
He needs to go he's last now, a waste of wages.

Who'd take him though? I think it'll be hard to sell him for a decent fee. I wouldn't be suprised if he gets loaned out.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #862 on: April 25, 2017, 12:35:14 pm »
People have bemoaned the lack of squad depth this season and particularly the lack of viable replacements when Mane and Coutinho were out injured or unavailable. I think it’s another season where Sturridge’s injuries have cost us. A fit and firing Daniel Sturridge could have been the difference between 5th, Top4 or even a concerted title challenge. At the start of the season I think we counted on him being the 12th or 13th man in our squad (alongside Emre Can). He just hasn’t been available enough to play that role in the squad. Meaning Origi has played more and we’ve ended up with Woodburn on the bench regularly (compounded by Ings injury too).

I find it hard to be angry at him though. I don’t care if he’s here or not next season. Ideally he’ll leave and we can use his wages on someone else. It might be difficult to shift him though. What I don’t want to see  is another season were we are relying on Daniel Sturridge to play a major role in the squad. It’s cost us dearly over the last few seasons and he’s someone we need to move on from -  whether he’s sold or stays at the club.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #863 on: April 25, 2017, 12:45:29 pm »
Who'd take him though? I think it'll be hard to sell him for a decent fee. I wouldn't be suprised if he gets loaned out.

Plenty will, most of the clubs who cant attract a player of that ability under normal circumstances.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: April 25, 2017, 12:56:05 pm »
thats a good post. yeah im not angry, i actually feel sorry for him. He doesnt want to be injured. I am sure he sees a lot of stuff online and it probably effects him but he is a liability

correct also in saying if we had him around more in some seasons we would have done much better. I am sure we easily would have been in top 4 in 2015 given united got it with a very average team. Last season we would have been much closer to the top 4

this season who knows. the sturridge of 2013-4 in this team we would probably be top.

however even when he plays now its clear he has tailed off. as the thread says his speed has diminished

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: April 25, 2017, 12:59:15 pm »
Plenty will, most of the clubs who cant attract a player of that ability under normal circumstances.

I'm not so sure if even they are keen on splashing upwards of 100k on someone they can't count on playing regularly. His injury record is off the charts and could very well scare off suitors.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #866 on: April 25, 2017, 01:22:26 pm »
Yep i cant see there being a shortage of takers on loan or permanently.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: April 25, 2017, 01:24:05 pm »
Palace, West ham or maybe Newcastle might take a gamble

or someone abroad

i am sure a good few will try a loan bid.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #868 on: April 25, 2017, 01:26:05 pm »
I was talking potential buyers. Said initially that it might end up with a loan.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Chief Brody

• Living the goosed life. Requires explanation. Works on the 110% scale.
  • Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #869 on: April 25, 2017, 01:32:23 pm »

Last thing you want from a loanee is injury problems.

I said it months ago. He'll sit out his contract. Because he'll never get another contract like it.

Offline Day1983

• Main Stander
« Reply #870 on: April 25, 2017, 01:41:47 pm »

Another premier league club will take him.
We need to make decisions quicker in my opinion, he probably should have last summer.
Henderson is another who I think next season could be make or break injury wise, as I think we need to buy someone for his position this summer anyway and another injury prone season could see him out of the door.

Offline Day1983

• Main Stander
« Reply #871 on: April 25, 2017, 01:44:28 pm »
People have bemoaned the lack of squad depth this season and particularly the lack of viable replacements when Mane and Coutinho were out injured or unavailable. I think it’s another season where Sturridge’s injuries have cost us. A fit and firing Daniel Sturridge could have been the difference between 5th, Top4 or even a concerted title challenge. At the start of the season I think we counted on him being the 12th or 13th man in our squad (alongside Emre Can). He just hasn’t been available enough to play that role in the squad. Meaning Origi has played more and we’ve ended up with Woodburn on the bench regularly (compounded by Ings injury too).

I find it hard to be angry at him though. I don’t care if he’s here or not next season. Ideally he’ll leave and we can use his wages on someone else. It might be difficult to shift him though. What I don’t want to see  is another season were we are relying on Daniel Sturridge to play a major role in the squad. It’s cost us dearly over the last few seasons and he’s someone we need to move on from -  whether he’s sold or stays at the club.

I never did and if the club did then they're very naive. He's been a disaster injury wise for the last three years.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #872 on: April 25, 2017, 03:29:13 pm »
I never did and if the club did then they're very naive. He's been a disaster injury wise for the last three years.

I reckon Klopp did.

The back end of last season he was available from the start of Feb till the end of May. He then went and played in the European Championships. That's basically 5-6 months of being fit. Prior to that Klopp had a training programme to get him fit. One that required him to participate in consecutive training sessions before he'd be considered for selection.

Maybe it was this training regime followed by a relatively injury free run, alongside medical advice, that convinced Klopp to give him another season. When you have a player like Daniel Sturridge it's tantalising to keep them. On the back of a good injury free period even more so. Klopp didn't even back on him being a starting XI player or his main striker. But to provide options off the bench. He was generally available for selection during the 1st 3 months of the season. We didn't need him too much though due to the form of Firmino, Coutinho and Mane.

The biggest issue was that he's been unavailable when Coutinho got injured and is now unavailable again when Mane is out injured. It's that unreliability with injuries that have cost us. In hindsight it wasn't the correct decision to keep him last summer. However, it's easy to understand why Klopp kept him as an important squad member.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Bendomac

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #873 on: April 25, 2017, 04:50:33 pm »
All the best.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #874 on: April 25, 2017, 05:07:41 pm »
I reckon Klopp did.

The back end of last season he was available from the start of Feb till the end of May. He then went and played in the European Championships. That's basically 5-6 months of being fit. Prior to that Klopp had a training programme to get him fit. One that required him to participate in consecutive training sessions before he'd be considered for selection.

Maybe it was this training regime followed by a relatively injury free run, alongside medical advice, that convinced Klopp to give him another season. When you have a player like Daniel Sturridge it's tantalising to keep them. On the back of a good injury free period even more so. Klopp didn't even back on him being a starting XI player or his main striker. But to provide options off the bench. He was generally available for selection during the 1st 3 months of the season. We didn't need him too much though due to the form of Firmino, Coutinho and Mane.

The biggest issue was that he's been unavailable when Coutinho got injured and is now unavailable again when Mane is out injured. It's that unreliability with injuries that have cost us. In hindsight it wasn't the correct decision to keep him last summer. However, it's easy to understand why Klopp kept him as an important squad member.

Well put.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: April 25, 2017, 05:11:14 pm »
Palace, West ham or maybe Newcastle might take a gamble

or someone abroad

i am sure a good few will try a loan bid.
Even West Brom. Just hope its permanent for our sake.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #876 on: April 25, 2017, 05:15:00 pm »
I know Mane and Coutinho have been fit a lot more this season, obviously. But I find it a little bit crazy to criticise a player specifically because he's been injured and so couldn't cover for an injured player....
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #877 on: April 25, 2017, 05:25:47 pm »
What a sad tale this is. Does anyone not think a fit Daniel Sturridge would have made a huge difference to our team this season? 

Its also a bit of a shame that he has this reputation of not being strong mentally enough to overcome small niggles. We have no clue what the reality is there, but I have a hard time believing that a lad like him, who seems to be so ambitious wouldn't play if he was fit enough.

And lets get real here, he is a thoroughbred not a workhorse. A Centre Back with a bit of a knock can sometimes muscle through some injuries, but a top forward, who relies on change of pace, and sharpness, is nothing if he isn't 100% fit.

Sell him to whoever will take him, somewhere with a nice warm physio room, because sadly I think the lad is destined to be staring at the ceiling for the rest of his career.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: April 25, 2017, 05:26:28 pm »
I'd be gobsmacked if any team would be nuts to pay a fee for him.

Offline zip

• Legacy Fan
  • That was liquid football!
« Reply #879 on: April 25, 2017, 08:24:58 pm »
jaysis

splitting hairs

pair of complete crocks

i seriously dont think aurelio played 3 games in a row for us EVER

if they were fit every week we would have been in business.
Yeah, just having a bit fun in this shite situation. I remember Aurelio being spoken about in the same superlatives as Sturridge. Back then we didn't have a striker problem, we had a left back problem and we all loved to talk about how when Aurelio gets fit, we'll be challenging.
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."