Author Topic: River of Light, Fireworks Display  (Read 2058 times)

Offline sonny crockett

• Been highly respecting A@A since 2007, honestly, thinks the world of him!
  • Kopite
River of Light, Fireworks Display
« on: November 6, 2016, 12:36:45 pm »
What did people make of the event last night? The general vibe seems to have been a disappointment.

I've never been to the one in Sefton Park so can't make the comparison but I was left underwhelmed.

I do know it was murder getting home.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/family-kids-news/twitter-hits-out-disappointing-river-12133536

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
Re: River of Light, Fireworks Display
« Reply #1 on: December 6, 2016, 10:08:18 pm »
Didn't think much it to be honest.  Tried (a bit later than we should have, admittedly) to get to the Pier Head from the Albert Dock side but were turned away and advised to go round the back of the Albert Dock (as in, right round).

Inevitably, the view was a bit crap round there due to the big wall that runs the length, but reasonable enough to get a feel for the display.

My feeling was that the two sets of fireworks were too far away and too far apart - you couldn't take in both at once (perhaps not the point) and, because of the distance, felt it was happening "over there"...part of the spectacle for me has always been looking up into the fireworks but this was just like watching it on television.  Safety concerns of course acknowledged, I'd actually have preferred to be in the larger crowd with a worse view - at least for a bit of an atmosphere.

I'd be happy to see them back on the parks next year, though I can appreciate that the river display scenario playing out ideally does sound good.

Anyway - bit late in here but I thought it worth posting for posterity!

Offline mattyyt

• Anny Roader
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #2 on: December 9, 2016, 07:16:50 pm »
Just seen this. There was no sound or smell at the docks, that's the best part for me about going to a smaller bonfire. Crap atmosphere too, just felt like a bunch of people crammed in. I got bored after five minutes and waded through the crowd to get out and just go the pub. The drummer thing before the fireworks was boss, shame the actual fireworks left such a sour taste.

Also, anyone that takes a pram to one of these crowded things is mental, I lost count of the amount of times I had wheels hitting the back of my ankles.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 08:13:21 am »
Just seen this. There was no sound or smell at the docks, that's the best part for me about going to a smaller bonfire. Crap atmosphere too, just felt like a bunch of people crammed in. I got bored after five minutes and waded through the crowd to get out and just go the pub. The drummer thing before the fireworks was boss, shame the actual fireworks left such a sour taste.

Also, anyone that takes a pram to one of these crowded things is mental, I lost count of the amount of times I had wheels hitting the back of my ankles.

In my experience with a pram, the people who I like to hit on the ankles are ignorant bastards who don't move out of the way when you are attempting to manoeuvre through a crowd. 😘
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 10:41:25 am »
In my experience with a pram, the people who I like to hit on the ankles are ignorant bastards who don't move out of the way when you are attempting to manoeuvre through a crowd. 😘

Yeah fireworks aren't just for adults are they. In fact, they're just as much for kids, if not more.

People who moan about kids being at family friendly events might just be missing the point.

I thought the fireworks were shite. River of light my arse, I was on otterspool prom and could see fuck all.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 10:51:40 am »
I felt like I was stood in a back garden watching a local fireworks display down the road. Was too far away and no sense of atmosphere as there was no accompanying music etc. Hope they go back to the park displays next year
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline mattyyt

• Anny Roader
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 05:44:50 pm »
Yeah fireworks aren't just for adults are they. In fact, they're just as much for kids, if not more.

People who moan about kids being at family friendly events might just be missing the point.

I thought the fireworks were shite. River of light my arse, I was on otterspool prom and could see fuck all.

Oh I'm not moaning about the kids, it's just when the crowd is moving at 1mph, everyone going in the same direction, nowhere else to move to, and I'm getting battered by a pram, some people use them as battering rams

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 06:22:12 pm »
Oh I'm not moaning about the kids, it's just when the crowd is moving at 1mph, everyone going in the same direction, nowhere else to move to, and I'm getting battered by a pram, some people use them as battering rams

Haha, yeah I have seen people do that actually. Bulldozer style. I promise I'm nice and patient when I'm driving the buggy though :)
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 10:19:49 pm »
I felt like I was stood in a back garden watching a local fireworks display down the road. Was too far away and no sense of atmosphere as there was no accompanying music etc. Hope they go back to the park displays next year

Alex has nailed the more concise version of my thoughts ;D