Poll

How do we think the UK Will do - Assuming Brexit happens (Hard or Soft..)

Things will be brilliant from the word go and will get better every week!
Things will start off a bit dodgy, but over time things gradually improve and get better
Things will start off dodgy and remain that way for the forseeable future
Things will start off dodgy and then decline slightly with things getting a bit worse
Complete clusterfuck from start to finish

Author Topic: Brexit - doesn't really seem to be a very good idea does it? (*)  (Read 869813 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Brexit - What would those in power get out of it? The Fallout Thread..
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2016, 08:16:57 pm »
Feels like over the last few weeks - indeed ever since the Crack Brexit Team was assembled and began opening their respective gobs - as if the government is attempting to play poker with its cards completely exposed to all the other players around the table. To be fair, though, and in its defence, anybody asking questions of the Crack Brexit Team is obviously, and quite willfully, trying to undermine the Crack Brexit Team's negotiation position prior to the negotiations actually taking place.

I, for one, believe in the Crack Brexit Team and put my trust in its collective wits. 

You spelt twits wrong
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2016, 08:17:31 pm »
just think marmite could destroy brexit
Brexit. you either love it or hate it.
Stolen from twitter.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2016, 08:52:45 pm »
I started to feel sorry for the caller as he was slowly taken apart.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/A-NEBerVRo0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/A-NEBerVRo0</a>
Superb

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2016, 09:35:53 pm »
Unilever products have been "delisted" or are out of stock on Tesco online because Unilever want to increase prices due to a weak £, and Tesco refused. They've not been able to reach a compromise.

This is potentially massive news that could have huge knock-on effects.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/brexit-pound-slump-triggers-row-between-tesco-and-unilever-products-like-marmite-run-low_uk_57fe8bf8e4b0e982146bbfeb

The full story!!!

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2016, 09:39:45 pm »
So presumably the other supermarkets have agreed to raise prices. The old swingometer will be for a majority remain very shortly if it isn't already.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2016, 09:44:33 pm »
So presumably the other supermarkets have agreed to raise prices. The old swingometer will be for a majority remain very shortly if it isn't already.

It only needs a few more events like this and there'll be huge pressure to come out and say it's going to be a total disaster, just like 9/10 experts said it was.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2016, 09:46:51 pm »
We're not a super power, but based on what seems to be reliable sources - norway turned down invitation to discuss trade deal. didn't want to piss off off EU
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2016, 09:54:36 pm »
We're not a super power, but based on what seems to be reliable sources - norway turned down invitation to discuss trade deal. didn't want to piss off off EU

Sauce???

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2016, 10:10:01 pm »

Watching it on BBC news now,looks like the others haven't agreed anything yet. Business expert said the boss of Tesco used to work for Unilever and knows their pricing and costs etc. Was mention that Unilever are trying it on a bit as a lot of the stuff is made in the UK, they've a big place in Bromborough and I used to run stuff out of Preston Brook to Tesco before they moved it to the Midlands.

There will be loads who got duped by leave who will start feeling the pinch soon and will wonder what the fuck they voted for.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2016, 10:33:16 pm »
Watching it on BBC news now,looks like the others haven't agreed anything yet. Business expert said the boss of Tesco used to work for Unilever and knows their pricing and costs etc. Was mention that Unilever are trying it on a bit as a lot of the stuff is made in the UK, they've a big place in Bromborough and I used to run stuff out of Preston Brook to Tesco before they moved it to the Midlands.

There will be loads who got duped by leave who will start feeling the pinch soon and will wonder what the fuck they voted for.
Hopefully it's a blessing in disguise. people finally sit up and start looking into the facts of Brexit.
Sadly there will be many who will just put all this down to uncertainty and scaremongering.
I can't understand the logic of this as the biggest uncertainty is are we going to have access to the single market. so it's the prospect of not being in the single market that's causing the panic, imagine what will happen if that becomes a fact.?
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2016, 11:32:11 pm »
No Pot Noodle for the racist, dumb Brexiteers. Shame.

Online RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2016, 11:35:38 pm »

Marmite was unavailable in New Zealand for several months a year or two ago - that time was known here as Marmageddon

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2016, 01:50:20 am »
Brexit divorce bill of up to €20bn

British Eurosceptic MPs are likely to react badly to the news that UK taxpayers might have to pay billions of pounds to Europe as the price of Brexit. One minister said: “It will have to be explained very carefully ..."

“We could actually end up paying more into the EU budget. That will be a big story in the next two years.”

https://www.ft.com/content/3c1eb988-9081-11e6-a72e-b428cb934b78

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2016, 07:52:37 am »
It's frustrating of course when emotion seems to get the better of reason at the polls or when outright lies exert their dominion over actual facts. But, yes, the alternative to a free election (ie a circumscribed one where only the 'intelligent' vote) is the royal road to despotism.

Or straight out racism. Two lads at my wife's work voted leave to and I quote, "get the fucking Pakistanis out". Scrotes in salford college voted as, once the fucking immigrants have gone we'll get their benefits.

The simple solution was obviously to never hold a referendum on something so important.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2016, 08:17:48 am »
The more I think about it, the less I understand why May thinks she can just do it without a vote in parliament. This is the biggest political and economical decision the country has faced in decades, and itis going to be forced through by a PM who never faced a general election (and arguably only has the job because nobody else wanted it) on the basis of a referendum that is not legally binding. Can someone explain where the legal basis is?

Decisions like this should need a 2/3 majority vote in parliament imo.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #135 on: October 13, 2016, 08:38:04 am »
First they came for Marmite. And I did not speak out. Because I did not eat Marmite...
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #136 on: October 13, 2016, 08:53:54 am »
The more I think about it, the less I understand why May thinks she can just do it without a vote in parliament. This is the biggest political and economical decision the country has faced in decades, and itis going to be forced through by a PM who never faced a general election (and arguably only has the job because nobody else wanted it) on the basis of a referendum that is not legally binding. Can someone explain where the legal basis is?

Decisions like this should need a 2/3 majority vote in parliament imo.

It's a treaty so royal prerogative comes into play. Government doesn't need support in parliament for treaties. It's when it comes to how the treaties work in British law that Parliament can properly demand a vote. May's possibly trying to head some of this off by trying to transfer European law wholesale into British law (if that's still her plan), but she can cancel any treaty she pleases as First Lord of the Treasury, or via the Privy Council, acting on behalf of the Queen.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2016, 08:56:33 am »
It's a treaty so royal prerogative comes into play. Government doesn't need support in parliament for treaties. It's when it comes to how the treaties work in British law that Parliament can properly demand a vote. May's possibly trying to head some of this off by trying to transfer European law wholesale into British law (if that's still her plan), but she can cancel any treaty she pleases as First Lord of the Treasury, or via the Privy Council, acting on behalf of the Queen.

Cheers. Thats where being a monarchy bites you in the arse.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2016, 09:02:16 am »
Hopefully it's a blessing in disguise. people finally sit up and start looking into the facts of Brexit.
Sadly there will be many who will just put all this down to uncertainty and scaremongering.
I can't understand the logic of this as the biggest uncertainty is are we going to have access to the single market. so it's the prospect of not being in the single market that's causing the panic, imagine what will happen if that becomes a fact.?

Project fear mate

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2016, 09:33:52 am »
There is only one winner here and it isnt Tesco. The retailers are shitting it at having to put prices up and the consumer impact that will have. They just dont want to be the first but when one does (and they will) then the rest can follow suit.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2016, 09:51:14 am »
Cheers. Thats where being a monarchy bites you in the arse.

Yeah. Was going to say that there'll be challenges over this, and one's already just started: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37639307

Her legal team, headed by constitutional lawyer and cross-bench peer Lord Pannick, is expected to argue that invoking Article 50 will threaten the rights of individuals enshrined in the 1972 European Communities Act - the piece of legislation which paved the way for the UK to join the European Economic Community.

Only Parliament, they will argue, can remove or reduce rights granted under law and Article 50 must have the consent of the House of Commons and the House of Lords...

[vs]

"The decision to withdraw from the EU is not justiciable," [documents prepared by ministers] stated. "It is a matter of the highest policy reserved to the Crown."

"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2016, 09:52:36 am »
There is only one winner here and it isnt Tesco.

There are no winners here. I'm a retailer and I know what's coming down the line from my US & European suppliers. It's also worth pointing out that big suppliers will be buying up raw crops, product and material months and months in advance of production, so the impact on wholesale and retail prices will be significantly delayed in some cases.

Unless people suddenly stop buying (for instance) Marmite, wholesale and subsequently retail prices on some products are inevitably going to jump. The inevitable corollary of that is rising inflation. Overall, volume sales may fall. It's just not possible for any of the above not to happen.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2016, 09:53:51 am »
There is only one winner here and it isnt Tesco. The retailers are shitting it at having to put prices up and the consumer impact that will have. They just dont want to be the first but when one does (and they will) then the rest can follow suit.

Not so sure Tesco's will come out of this as a loser - its a bit of good PR if anything. Fighting for its customers, flying the flag etc etc
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2016, 10:19:12 am »

Unless people suddenly stop buying (for instance) Marmite
Necessity is the mother of invention. I'm sure people will soon discover you can achieve the same results by just boiling up your own shite.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2016, 10:25:52 am »
HP sauce is made in the Netherlands these days.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2016, 10:26:47 am »
HP sauce is made in the Netherlands these days.
Sauce?
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2016, 10:30:31 am »

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2016, 10:31:45 am »
Well if nothing else maybe we'll all stop buying (for instance) a pot of yoghurt that has been transported god knows how many thousand kilometres between being created, packaged up and delivered. Though when you broaden it out a bit, it's going to start becoming painfully obvious to all where we stand as a manufacturing nation.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2016, 11:05:51 am »
Not so sure Tesco's will come out of this as a loser - its a bit of good PR if anything. Fighting for its customers, flying the flag etc etc

Thats ok but not when the products involve have a genuine consumer link/loyalty like Marmite. Its good PR and thats why they put it out, but inflation is inevitable.

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: October 13, 2016, 11:06:26 am »

My friends from Australia sent me a pot of vegemite.....:shite:
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: October 13, 2016, 11:31:22 am »
With friends like that...............
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2016, 11:40:19 am »
The Sturgeon's going for another referendum. Not surprised.

Hate referendums.

Don't suppose the government can just say no?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2016, 11:41:12 am »
Well if nothing else maybe we'll all stop buying (for instance) a pot of yoghurt that has been transported god knows how many thousand kilometres between being created, packaged up and delivered. Though when you broaden it out a bit, it's going to start becoming painfully obvious to all where we stand as a manufacturing nation.

That throws up a whole host of other issues such as building the factories, finding the staff to work there, getting the trucks to move the stuff etc.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2016, 11:45:12 am »
That throws up a whole host of other issues such as building the factories, finding the staff to work there, getting the trucks to move the stuff etc.

We haven't even got enough people with the skills to do the building.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2016, 11:48:30 am »
With friends like that...............
:) Just ordered a large jar of marmite. Am I panicking.... this is only the start...what have you done you brexiting imbeciles!! Listened to Sturgeon's SNP party conference a moment ago, and I truly loved listening to her, not just what she says but how she says it.
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: October 13, 2016, 11:50:02 am »
We haven't even got enough people with the skills to do the building.

But we could just bring them in from Eur... Oh.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: October 13, 2016, 11:53:14 am »
Maybe we could retrain all those soon to be unemployed people in Sunderland so that they could build themselves a Marmite factory - Harry Lab could be the slavemaster, standing behind them with a whip.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2016, 11:56:45 am »
The Sturgeon's going for another referendum. Not surprised.

Hate referendums.

Don't suppose the government can just say no?

:'(

Can't blame them, and there goes the Union.

:D

Offline OperationIvy

• Kopite
« Reply #159 on: October 13, 2016, 12:26:31 pm »
Brexit divorce bill of up to €20bn

British Eurosceptic MPs are likely to react badly to the news that UK taxpayers might have to pay billions of pounds to Europe as the price of Brexit. One minister said: “It will have to be explained very carefully ..."

“We could actually end up paying more into the EU budget. That will be a big story in the next two years.”

https://www.ft.com/content/3c1eb988-9081-11e6-a72e-b428cb934b78

I think these sums will be hard for the EU to justify. Their financial accounts have always received an adverse opinion by their auditors because of the significant errors.

We're not going to fill their black holes for them.