Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers  (Read 214849 times)

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
Good move for Rodgers. His biggest failure here was not being able to manage to expectations in multiple competitions. Celtic seems like a good place for him to learn how to do that. They will be expected to compete in the SPL, in the Cup, and CL, but the pressure won't be anything near us. Used to go to Celtic matches with some NI mates when I lived in Scotland. Always had a soft spot for them. Hope BR does well. 

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
I don't think Celtic is the easiest team to move on from if he wants to manage a big team in one of the top leagues again. There hasn't been many incidences managers proving their mettle by managing Celtic and then moving on to a big club in a top league. The last time a Celtic manager moved to a decent sized club, was Martin O'Neill in 05, and that was to Aston Villa.

The problem is, winning at Celtic basically means nothing as far as managerial achievements go. He'd pretty much have to take them to European success to get noticed again. It would have made a lot more sense to go to a club like Valencia (if the job were available), and coming 4th for a couple of years running with enterprising football.

If on the other hand he for some reason (like failing to organise the defence) failed to win the league once or twice, his reputation would more or less be shattered.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
This seems a bit of a cop out from Brendan. The Celtic job these days isn't that great considering you're expected to win everything domestically and if you don't then you've done shit. I don't see him ever being back at a big club in the future if this is the route he's going down.

Offline DominicQ

• Kopite
I reckon he did enough with us that if he has a decent stint with the Hoops he'll get a decent job in England. Alternatively, it's his boyhood club and he might not give a fuck about future job possibilities. I know I wouldn't.

Offline Klopp-A-Delphia

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Numquam Solum Ambulabis
This is a great move for Brendan. I don't know why some here are knocking it. Martin O' Neil has done alright since he left Celtic, for example. Not managing at the top necessarily but he is managing in the Euros this summer.

Strachan and Lennon sort of brought the prestige of the job down a little bit, but that's because they're Strachan and Lennon. And of course the SPL has dropped dramatically in prestige in the last 10 years. With Rangers back, who knows?

Celtic are a huge club. They don't have the financial power they need relative to the rest of the world, but their fanbase is extraordinary. Every city in America has a Celtic supporters club that meets in an Irish pub early Saturday morning (Philadelphia has 2!) They must be the only club in the world that represents a global diaspora. I've witnessed Celtic represented in America much more than us or United. They're only constrained by the small revenue potential of their tiny little league. If they could compete against bigger clubs, I have no doubt they'd be as big as us.

If Brendan takes over, Celtic might still be sure bets in domestic competition in the next 2 years. Maybe Brendan can really focus on Europe and not have to prioritize the domestic schedule so heavily? That could recover his terrible reputation in European competition.
Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/connorpatrick   or @ConnorPatrick

The magic is in the melody.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Interestingly, the daily record are saying that he could lose out on up to £10m in compensation from us if he accepts the job...

Hmmm
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Bad move in my opinion especially with Rangers back on the scene. His reputation would be shot if they pipped Celtic to the title.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
Interestingly, the daily record are saying that he could lose out on up to £10m in compensation from us if he accepts the job...

Hmmm

Come on Celtic. Put the hard sell on him.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Personally I have no time at all for either of the 2 "Old Firm" clubs, but if this saves LFC £10m, best of luck to ya Brendan
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline IgoDirk

• Legacy Fan
That was the annoyance for me, he was given the sort of money no other Liverpool manager has had and then proceeded to make disastrous transfer after disastrous transfer. Even the ones that look ok now only look ok because Klopp has turned them around.

You're having your cake and eating it a bit there   ;D

Is it fair to have a go at Rodgers for making disastrous transfer after disastrous transfer then say in hindsight 'actually they're ok transfers, but I'm still going to have a go at him about them'?

True, he did a poor job with the players he bought, but generally they're a decent bunch of players who are now playing closer to their potential under Klopp. There are a few 'disastrous' ones in there, but pretty much every club has those.

With the Celtic job, I actually think it'll do Rodgers good. I know winning the SPL with Celtic isn't really a big deal, but he's still yet to win anything as a manager. For a manager who has managed a club as big as Liverpool, and (I would say) has a pretty decent reputation in the football world, he won't want to get too much further into his career without winning a trophy of some sort. He'll get some more experience in Europe too.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
He's taken the easy option. The SPL is probably the worst league in Europe in terms of competiveness, only the Bundesliga comes close. If he can't win any trophies, his reputation is truly down the drain. If he wins, it's what everyone expects anyway so he can't really be called a good manager based off that.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound

Celtic are a huge club. They don't have the financial power they need relative to the rest of the world, but their fanbase is extraordinary. Every city in America has a Celtic supporters club that meets in an Irish pub early Saturday morning (Philadelphia has 2!) They must be the only club in the world that represents a global diaspora. I've witnessed Celtic represented in America much more than us or United. They're only constrained by the small revenue potential of their tiny little league. If they could compete against bigger clubs, I have no doubt they'd be as big as us.

No they aren't, and no they wouldn't.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
No they aren't, and no they wouldn't.

They wouldn't be as big as us but they are a massive club. People saying they aren't I think are being obtuse

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
They wouldn't be as big as us but they are a massive club. People saying they aren't I think are being obtuse

They arent a massive club though, they benefit of pockets of overseas support from mainly America, thanks largely to the irish connection. As far as i can tell, they dont have a large following in places like the middle east, asia, oceana, south america, and if they have, they've hid it very well.  They play a friendly in Boston or New York and fill a stadium, but they wouldnt do that in Manilla, Jakarta, or Melbourne.  They struggle to fill that stadium every week, and to use modern parameters as much as it pains me to do, they have less twitter followers than Valencia, Sunderland, and Lyon.

Their whole season was based on 4 Old Firm games, and an annually shite European campaign, and after Rangers were relegated, most of those who were interested, weren't anymore,

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
Whilst his reputation might not sky rocket, being succesful will be great for him.  He will develop the experience of winning trophies - which might see him over the line should he take a bigger job in the future.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Get up to Glasgow and say Celtic aren't a big club and you'd come home in a box.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
In that case it is about his level and would be a good job for him.

you must be running out of daggers for his back he is gone why not cut him some slack,

however if Twitter is right if he gets the job this club will save 10M on his severance pay.

Go on Celtic do the right thing
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
He's taken the easy option. The SPL is probably the worst league in Europe in terms of competiveness, only the Bundesliga comes close. If he can't win any trophies, his reputation is truly down the drain. If he wins, it's what everyone expects anyway so he can't really be called a good manager based off that.

Dont forget the resurgent Rangers are back in.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
Get up to Glasgow and say Celtic aren't a big club and you'd come home in a box.

And what?  I lived in Scotland for 8 years and told my fair share of Celtic fans they aren't as big as they think they are.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I reckon he did enough with us that if he has a decent stint with the Hoops he'll get a decent job in England.
Think this is the key thing here. Lennon ended up at Bolton but then Celtic was his first job and he was an unknown quantity. A lot of people in England outside of Liverpool and in the press rate Brendan very highly for his time with us, even though it ended in disappointment. If he wins a few titles at Celtic and can prove himself in European competition too then that would reinforce the view that he is a very good young manager and i'm sure there'd be a lot of clubs very keen on him.

I also don't really get why jobs like Southampton or Swansea are any better for him? He's been there and done that, took Swansea to their high point but where else do you go from there? They don't have the resources to really go any further than qualifying for the europa league and even that is a stretch when you look at the financial clout of their competitors. This is an opportunity to win titles, win cups, and also test himself in Europe. It's a big opportunity.

The animosity towards Rodgers from a large number of our supporters was nothing short of a disgrace and quelled the myth once and for all that we are somehow better than any other set of fans. Course, if we win tonight and paint Basel red then the same people abusing the guy who brought us closer to the title than anyone in 20 odd years for having his teeth done and leaving his missus, will be telling everyone about how unique and amazing our fanbase is.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:22:18 pm by alonsoisared »

Offline IgoDirk

• Legacy Fan
And what?  I lived in Scotland for 8 years and told my fair share of Celtic fans they aren't as big as they think they are.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1ESHXxInoAs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1ESHXxInoAs</a>

:D

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1ESHXxInoAs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1ESHXxInoAs</a>

:D

hahaha

not hard mate, just not afraid to discuss the finer points of football with them scary Glasweigans

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound

Yeah its already been done fella

Nice one though

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan

Ooh you're hard.

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Ooh you're hard.
If only there were some sort of David Brent type Meme for that...
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If only there were some sort of David Brent type Meme for that...

Fuck that, this is MILES better...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3ygDMHnt-Lg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3ygDMHnt-Lg</a>
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
you must be running out of daggers for his back he is gone why not cut him some slack,

however if Twitter is right if he gets the job this club will save 10M on his severance pay.

Go on Celtic do the right thing
the club won't save £10m in severance they'll just have to make up the difference

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
Yeah its already been done fella

Nice one though

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite

Aaaand this what.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Best of luck to him, looks like a perfect fit. He can get them playing his brand of all out attacking football, and with a few decent signings they could become a very exciting team to watch. There's no right or wrong path to a great career as a manager, it's a club he loves and he'll get every opportunity to impose himself on it.

The big challenge up there at the moment is to put together a decent run in Europe. Wasn't his strong suit here, but he does have a continental approach to a lot of things, and if he's learned a bit about defending in the interim, who knows what they could do?

The people saying they aren't a big club, go and say that to Kenny Dalglish and see how far you get.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline IgoDirk

• Legacy Fan

The people saying they aren't a big club, go and say that to Kenny Dalglish and see how far you get.

Go up to Kenny and say Celtic aren't a big club and you'd come home in a box.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite

I reckon Kenny would flatten Original.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
ooooh, he's hard.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
ooooh, he's hard.

Already been done that one fella. :lmao
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Already been done that one fella. :lmao
Fuck I missed it. :(
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
Celtic are a big club with a big fan base, but Liverpool are a massive club with a massive fan base.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
I think Celtic is a great choice. It would be great for him to experience European football regularly which I feel he can build a lot on.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
I think Celtic is a great choice. It would be great for him to experience European football regularly which I feel he can build a lot on.

He'd piss that league as Celtic boss imo as well.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Celtic are a big club with a big fan base, but Liverpool are a massive club with a massive fan base.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA